Author Topic: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Full time.....  (Read 43214 times)

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
Re: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Full time.....
« Reply #640 on: December 31, 2011, 01:05:06 am »
Fucking delighted, hopefully that will put an end to the 'struggling to score more than once at home' that has really plagued us this season.

Pardew moaning about the ref giving the foul for the free for the second? Is he fucking serious?Hes lucky he didn't finish with 8 men on the pitch.

Well in lads. Much needed 3 points. Great to see Stevie back too ;D
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #641 on: December 31, 2011, 01:06:31 am »
640 odd posts.. 17 pages...
We must have won.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #642 on: December 31, 2011, 01:06:43 am »
thought you guys played well, deserved to win for sure, congrats, but im glad we got one, could have had 2 but our wingers are shite at the mo and we just aren't penetrating enough in the final third. bit disappointed, but would rather win the games we should be winning - also am pleased that liverpool stepped up their game to play us, makes me feel like we have greatly improved. hopefully it's a different story at SJP, cough sorry i mean the sports shit arena.

only thing i had about the match was that the commentators drove me mad with their wankfest over you - god i had to turn the damn thing off. talk about one sided sky loving!!! im sure you guys were alright with it, but bloody hell, for a toon fan it was non stop!

Haha, it was shocking tbf, especially the Carrol love-fest!!

Offline RedAtHeart

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #643 on: December 31, 2011, 01:08:09 am »
And Neville thinks David Luiz looks like he is controlled by a kid with a playstation controller? Simpson have is clearly one of those cheap twats running straight for the line on any free kick on fifa :P
Boom

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: December 31, 2011, 01:11:03 am »
Another game goes by and i ask again, what does andy carroll add to our team?

A scapegoat for one.

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #645 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:02 am »
I sense a nerd-off.
Nerd-hat on.

Baz wins when it comes to the correlation vs. causation debate, probably the most famous discussion is by David Hume and the problem of induction. Studog could appeal on probabilistic ground, but that still doesn't prove causation.

However, when is comes to the correlation between AC and LFC winning games, that may be the case.

;)
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline meff

• istoffeles?
  • Kopite
  • does your dog bite?
« Reply #646 on: December 31, 2011, 01:12:34 am »
Finally some value for endeavours from a home game. Not the most fluid we've played at home or anywhere this season but who can complain? Felt a bit for Adam when he was taken off as he responded well to the awful performance against Blackburn but the gulf in quality between him and the lad that took his place is immeasurable. Carroll looked an angry and frustrated man but I've a feeling that it's going to click for him the more game time Stevie gets as you just couldn't buy that quality of distribution these days. As for Skrtel's clearence? being about 20 yards from it that will go down as one of the indelible memories of times past.

Well in redmen
For those about to Klopp! We salute you

Offline The Rednigerian

• Anny Roader
« Reply #647 on: December 31, 2011, 01:14:08 am »
Great win. Unlucky not to have clean sheet

Gerrard is boss

Carroll and downing really make me cry

Thought he was quality today.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: December 31, 2011, 01:14:31 am »
Taking 6 mins to take each goal kick

He gave his team less time to get back in the game then...

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #649 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:26 am »
Great result and well done to the lads for sticking at it.
We looked a bit lost for a few minutes and I did worry but Bellamy was superb, Carroll livened up once Gerrard came on which is encouraging.
And that goal line clearance ? Vital.

Well done the Reds.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #650 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:32 am »
what really struck me tonight was when the Gerrard quality cross came over Carroll looked a different player.
more lurking than posting

Offline ChiTownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #651 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:26 am »
Thought he was quality today.
He was. He was wonderful in the 1st half, disappeared a bit in the second.

Overall I think he put in a good performance.
xbox live - un3elievable

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #652 on: December 31, 2011, 01:18:30 am »
Stevie, Suarez and Caroll is gonna be immense. i can feel it. get some quality into the box and andy looks a different player.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: December 31, 2011, 01:20:08 am »
Not really.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #654 on: December 31, 2011, 01:25:18 am »
Not really.

ok buzz killington. just so you know, andy is not aguero, messi, ronaldo. he is never going to take on 3 people in the box and curl it into the top corner. what he is going to do is giving managers nightmares when they decide how to set their team out vs us if we have quality out wide. andy thrives off that delivery. if they go wide to stop the crosses then suarez will have more space in the middle. if we want the most out of our number 9 we need to either train people to deliver quality into the box or buy someone who can deliver it.

Offline ynwabuckeye

• Main Stander
« Reply #655 on: December 31, 2011, 01:27:29 am »
A couple takeaways or me. The understanding between Johnson and Downing on the right and Jose and Bellamy on the left was far more effective. When one pushed forward, the other dropped back or moved central. This allowed the central midfielders to push 10-15 yards further up the pitch. On too many occasions, one defender has been able to play Enrique and Downing at once, without compromising the shape of the defense and our midfield has had to sit deeper to cover the counter. Much more balance today, more Red shirts in and around the 18.

Carroll has his flaws, but Gerrard's introduction showed how well he can open up a backline with early, accurate service. He's still learning and needs to improve on his second an third runs. The early service also scattered Newcastles backline and we were able to find more passing lanes once the ball came back to us. Gerrard's decisiveness on the ball, particularly his ability to attack the open space made a world of difference in the attack.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: December 31, 2011, 01:41:18 am »
Gerrard coming back is like a new signing. We've seriously missed a midfielder making those type of runs spreading defences apart, Lucas, Adam, Spearing, Hendo are not getting in the box enough which is just leaving 2 guys at most in the box against 5/6 of their players which just makes it impossible to score, especially with all the byline crosses that we have been doing, which gives the defence time get marked or zonal whichever the team plays.
 Gerrards early crossing tonight gave Carroll the chance to attack 1/2 defenders not in positionand not 4/5 who are, and Carroll shown he can do it. Hopefully Stevie will back for a while now and the rest of the team can learn from him
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #657 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:08 am »
Great performance.  skrtel MOTM for me.
We won it 6 times

Offline Borninbethlehem

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:09 am »
This win will inject some much needed confidence and positivity into the club.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #659 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:59 am »
A good team performance with everyone doing a decent job and it's our worst home performance of the season? Mental.

Our worst home performance relative to our other home games. It's not saying it was a bad performance per se.

I agree with the opinion that we've played a lot better in many games but got away from them with a point and some even none (Stoke and Fulham).

In any case, great with three points to end the year! Bring on City!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #660 on: December 31, 2011, 01:45:11 am »
only thing i had about the match was that the commentators drove me mad with their wankfest over you - god i had to turn the damn thing off. talk about one sided sky loving!!! im sure you guys were alright with it, but bloody hell, for a toon fan it was non stop!

There's probably a pecking order but then again did Newcastle do anything impressive (that's not a swipe btw).
#JFT97

Offline neopulian

• Main Stander
  • veni, vidi, vici
« Reply #661 on: December 31, 2011, 01:48:53 am »
Gerrard showed that Carroll could do with great services (who wouldn't), but seriously, Andy's striker instinct is awful to say the least. I can cite at least 2 instants at the top of my head, and I'm sure I can cite more when I have time to review the game.

1. Downing had ball near midfield, cutting inside. Carroll and his marker were outside the box, in the middle. Bellamy ran inside attacking the box from left side, dragging his marker with him, opening up the whole left field. Downing lobbed the ball to Bellamy. PAUSE. At this point, any striker worth his salt should know Bellamy would lay it off, and dart diagonally to the opening space on the left to receive it. Not our Andy though. He stood there like an idiot and only started running after his marker was 10 yard ahead to shut down that space.

2. Near the end of the game, Enrique was clean through down the left, Carroll was the only other red in Newcastle half. A real predator would attack the MIDDLE of the goal and try to stay ball-side of his markers. Not our Andy. His great idea was to run to the far post and ended up at the distal edge of the 6-yard box. Enrique's cut back of courses got cleared out by Magpies defending the middle of the goal. And then he had the gall to have a go at Enrique.

Can Carroll to taught to play intelligent football? I hope it's possible. Because if the only way he can be effective is pin-point early crosses placed squarely on his head -- he's not going to take us anywhere.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:36 am »
Great performance.  skrtel MOTM for me.

Ah, somebody agrees with me. His clearance was as good as SG's goal but Skrtel's overall performance was excellent for the full match. He really has come back stronger than ever.
#JFT97

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: December 31, 2011, 01:54:19 am »
So, now we're back to one man team? ;)

Great win to end the year. Happy New Year.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline usernamefc

• Kinky Winky Apiary Japery
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: December 31, 2011, 01:54:31 am »
what really struck me tonight was when the Gerrard quality cross came over Carroll looked a different player.
He crosses earlier, from a position further away from the corner line. Something he was used to at Newcastle and something we did under Houllier.

More curl on the ball, more whip, more time to put off the defender. Basically, if Carroll can read the cross better than the defender, he'll probably get in front and win the ball.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: December 31, 2011, 02:00:29 am »
Gerrard showed that Carroll could do with great services (who wouldn't), but seriously, Andy's striker instinct is awful to say the least. I can cite at least 2 instants at the top of my head, and I'm sure I can cite more when I have time to review the game.

1. Downing had ball near midfield, cutting inside. Carroll and his marker were outside the box, in the middle. Bellamy ran inside attacking the box from left side, dragging his marker with him, opening up the whole left field. Downing lobbed the ball to Bellamy. PAUSE. At this point, any striker worth his salt should know Bellamy would lay it off, and dart diagonally to the opening space on the left to receive it. Not our Andy though. He stood there like an idiot and only started running after his marker was 10 yard ahead to shut down that space.

2. Near the end of the game, Enrique was clean through down the left, Carroll was the only other red in Newcastle half. A real predator would attack the MIDDLE of the goal and try to stay ball-side of his markers. Not our Andy. His great idea was to run to the far post and ended up at the distal edge of the 6-yard box. Enrique's cut back of courses got cleared out by Magpies defending the middle of the goal. And then he had the gall to have a go at Enrique.

Can Carroll to taught to play intelligent football? I hope it's possible. Because if the only way he can be effective is pin-point early crosses placed squarely on his head -- he's not going to take us anywhere.

I think this is the main issue that is giving Carroll the negative press. He doesn't (yet) know when to run into space for the return ball but I think this will come - but I fear this is instinct and not something that is learned.

As for him coming towards the front post then I agree but he expects the ball to be floated over onto his head instead of attacking the space.

In a way Suarez being out may help his game as he and the rest of the team may start to get to know each other better.

I like the above post that says that we need to get in better crosses for Carroll and this may result in dragging defenders out to stop the crosses - this will open up space for the other quicker forwards like Suarez and Bellamy.
#JFT97

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: December 31, 2011, 02:00:30 am »

A footballing brain is something you're gifted with. Personally I don't think you can learn it. Look at Henderson for example. He's thinking about the right passes and using intelligent gameplay. It might not always work well, but you can see he's not just thinking about his pass, he's think about 3/4 others that could come after it. Carroll for me doesn't have this. That's not a swipe at him, as a lot of players don't have a footballing brain to play intelligent football.

My main worry with Carroll, and it happened a few times today, was he was game so deep at times. He's not the most mobile of strikers, so if we get lucky on a counter attack we've no striker in the box, or further upfield. I thought on one or two occassions today if Carroll was further up the field, he might have had a couple of extra shots on target.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: December 31, 2011, 02:03:50 am »
He crosses earlier, from a position further away from the corner line. Something he was used to at Newcastle and something we did under Houllier.

More curl on the ball, more whip, more time to put off the defender. Basically, if Carroll can read the cross better than the defender, he'll probably get in front and win the ball.

And less time for the defenders to get into position and double mark him.
#JFT97

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:43 am »
Based on tonight's performances I'd like to see this line-up against City.

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Hendo Spearing

Suarez       Gerrard      Bellamy

Carroll
If Bellamy can't play because of his fitness then I'd add Maxi instead of him.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Nonex

• Anny Roader
  • "I think the phrase rhymes with clucking bell."
« Reply #669 on: December 31, 2011, 02:11:12 am »
Stevie, Suarez and Caroll is gonna be immense. i can feel it. get some quality into the box and andy looks a different player.

Throw in Lucas to come back as a holding midfielder as well.

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: December 31, 2011, 02:20:15 am »
Very happy with the result, especially since I was watching the game in a bar full of Newcastle fans and two Tottenham supporting c*nts.

Just wish Andy got on the scoresheet.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: December 31, 2011, 02:25:13 am »
Fantastic cameo from Gerrard. His early balls helped create better chances for Carroll. What a difference quality makes.

Felt Spearing played really well. Tiote a possible January transfer, looked very comfortable on the ball, good short passing, wasteful with anything longer.

Apart from one or two questionable chants (aimed to Suarez), a word for NUFC travelling fans, never stopped singing (well at least till Bellamy got the second).
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Red Scouse

• Anny Roader
  • Stop making sense.
« Reply #672 on: December 31, 2011, 02:26:01 am »
Something that I've been thinking recently and kind of had it confirmed tonight is that when we've played teams this season, particularly at home, we haven't had those "star names" in the team for the opposition to be worried about. We've had Suarez and every defender has done his best against him but the only way they can stop him is to kick the shit out of him but in the midfield, it's been seen as our weakness and I think opposition managers have probably told their teams to have a go at us because going forward from midfield, we have really struggled at times to dominate.

When Gerrard came on, they looked very timid and our superiority grew. It made me think that teams have seen our lineups before games, seen the absences of someone like Gerrard and thought they could have a real go at us, which they have. With Gerrard in the team, they get a bit worried in a similar way that teams do against the Mancs, that they've already got an obstacle to overcome mentally before they even step on the pitch. It's also the same when defenders grew in stature when Torres used to be subbed off and I think with that class player in our midfield, we have that extra mental edge.

Are all of your 6K+ posts as inane as the ones you are making tonight?

Offline TommyT1995

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • :)
« Reply #673 on: December 31, 2011, 02:38:59 am »
Tell you what Spearing quietly did his job, kept the ball moving and covered the defence brilliantly. There wasn't a major gap between defence and attack and I'd attribute that to Spearing's positional play. Good 3 points from us, City next game, be tempted to start with Stevie.
Keep it simple.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: December 31, 2011, 02:41:45 am »
Could be but I won't bite. We played well. Carroll included. The stats will show this....
I'd study the regression of carroll's additions vs winning but I'd rather have a bevvy

You should study the correlation between you drinking and feeling pissed. Maybe the 'feeling drunk' causes you to drink? Or does drinking cause you to feel pissed?!

Conundrum.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline louise0411

• Anny Roader
Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Full time.....
« Reply #675 on: December 31, 2011, 02:45:02 am »
Just out of interest, who was wearing the captains armband before Gerrard came on?
www.twitter.com/louise0411

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez runs down the wing for me.

Offline Yabazza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #676 on: December 31, 2011, 02:51:06 am »
Are all of your 6K+ posts as inane as the ones you are making tonight?

Ouch.  What was your take on the match then?

May contain irony.

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #677 on: December 31, 2011, 02:55:52 am »
Just out of interest, who was wearing the captains armband before Gerrard came on?

Reina I believe.
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: December 31, 2011, 02:59:57 am »
if downing was half a stevie at crosses we would be world beaters.  ;)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:23 am »
pretty sure the preceeding pages of this thread admire stevie, bellamy and skirtl and they should cos they were effin immense today!

great win. wewt wewt!
- all in my opinion of course -