Author Topic: What are our potential weaknesses? (Hope the grammar is OK)  (Read 13188 times)

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
Re: Whats our problem
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2013, 10:48:00 am »
Teams seem to play in cycles....You get it working, it gets better for  few games, levels off, and then you go thru  a bad patch. There ae many reasons for this including oppositions teams figuring out how to play against you, too much familiarity, extra motivation when things are new which drops over time etc.  After the Suarez ban we became galvanised as a team, Coutinho found his best position and Sturidge got a decent run in the team.  However this has now tailed off and we need a new impetus to get things going again.  Enter King Luis of Liverpool......

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2013, 11:53:19 am »
Our problem is the midfield. We need to get a dynamic/athletic powerhouse midfielder in, someone in the mold of a YaYa Toure. Gerrard used to be that but Father Time has caught up with him in that role.

Yes this is very true. But also the reliance on Coutinho, which we tried to solve with the signing of the Armenian fella.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »
so hang on the OP starts this shitty thread IMHO as a reaction to the knee jerk comments and the moaners and now it is a vehicle for knee jerk comments and moaning after just 5 games, so not being funny but I do detect a glaring error of logic here.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Red Mouse

• Anny Roader
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »
Our problem is we are in a 22 year transitional period with the final piece of the jigsaw just a signing away.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2013, 04:18:08 pm »
Is there anything really that wrong with us?

We weren't great the season before last. We went through a change of everything last season. We improved throughout the season and we are a better team now than we were 2 seasons ago and even a season ago.

We are getting better, slowly but surely and are now in such a privaleged position that we think Gerrard (still England captain, still one of our better players last season) and Lucas (still what, 26?) are our weak link.

Seems a good place to be. Its not like we are going backwards.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2013, 04:55:34 pm »
Is there anything really that wrong with us?

We weren't great the season before last. We went through a change of everything last season. We improved throughout the season and we are a better team now than we were 2 seasons ago and even a season ago.

We are getting better, slowly but surely and are now in such a privaleged position that we think Gerrard (still England captain, still one of our better players last season) and Lucas (still what, 26?) are our weak link.

Seems a good place to be. Its not like we are going backwards.

We don't have a problem as such. What we have is the sudden expectation that we COULD finish top four this season, given the real problems at Man United and possibly Chelsea (although there it the wastage of too much talent).

This expectation means we cannot afford to have the wrong balance in midfield, or flat performances like the Southampton defeat too many times.

You could boil it down to this - we are one short of a number 10 to link midfield and attack when Coutinho is injured and we are one short of a dynamic midfield player to replace the energy of old Gerrard.

Of course the main problem is the lack of a league title in 22 years which means minor issues and frustrations always feel like the team is broken and our dreams are in the gutter once again.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2013, 04:59:20 pm »
We don't have a problem as such. What we have is the sudden expectation that we COULD finish top four this season, given the real problems at Man United and possibly Chelsea (although there it the wastage of too much talent).

This expectation means we cannot afford to have the wrong balance in midfield, or flat performances like the Southampton defeat too many times.

You could boil it down to this - we are one short of a number 10 to link midfield and attack when Coutinho is injured and we are one short of a dynamic midfield player to replace the energy of old Gerrard.

Of course the main problem is the lack of a league title in 22 years which means minor issues and frustrations always feel like the team is broken and our dreams are in the gutter once again.

There will always be some uncertainty somewhere. It might appear to be Man Utd this season and Chelsea, but next season it could be Arsenal and Spurs. Always something is going wrong somewhere. I don't think its this season or bust at all and even with the start I still think expecting top 4 is just being too optimistic.

We need to challenge and I think we will but next season will be the real challenge, regardless of who signs who next season.

We improved several areas since the start of last season. Basically our whole centre 3 at the back inc goalkeeper is different and we have a whole new attack. Other areas will be addressed.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »
There will always be some uncertainty somewhere. It might appear to be Man Utd this season and Chelsea, but next season it could be Arsenal and Spurs. Always something is going wrong somewhere. I don't think its this season or bust at all and even with the start I still think expecting top 4 is just being too optimistic.

We need to challenge and I think we will but next season will be the real challenge, regardless of who signs who next season.

We improved several areas since the start of last season. Basically our whole centre 3 at the back inc goalkeeper is different and we have a whole new attack. Other areas will be addressed.

While I kind of agree with you, I see football as a game of opportunity. Sometimes you are presented with it and you have to seize it. Chelsea will invest again heavily, United will spend again in January etc. Many on here said after we "missed out" on Will.I.notmuch and The Armenian that our scouts will now have plenty of time to line up new targets for January. I hope they do. Defence is sorted. Attack, with Suarez and Moses added has enough for a season without Europe in my view and midfield is the final frontier for us.

One number 10ish player and a dynamic DM and I cannot see why we shouldn't challenge for 4th or even 3rd spot. I expect Mourinho to sort out Chelsea soon and Spurs and Arsenal will get strong...........so the time is NOW.

We should throw the kitchen sink at 4th spot because in one year we will have to replace Gerrard (as a ever present) and Suarez.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2013, 05:32:26 pm »
We are a permanent 'work in progress', although I haven't seen that old chestnut so much on here lately.

Isn't every team?
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2013, 05:40:03 pm »
After losing our first game of the season after 5 games in, we don't have tons of problems and this could be a bit of knee jerk reaction after a negative result.

I think losing a game has done us some favours in a way, brings a little bit of reality amongst the playing staff and might kick start them again.

I think a few things though need to be sorted out.

1) Gerrard & Lucas - there has to be some form of rotation between the 2, they both cant play 90 minutes week in, week out. This is something Rodgers is going to have to address at some point, and he can't keep ignoring it or not doing anything about it.

2) full backs.. I think our lack of full backs after Enrique & Johnson is quite worrying. Kelly is some way off any form of fitness, and he'll only get that through matches, but he aint going to be able to provide that bombarding option down the right hand side. Andre Wisdom is still a young lad and to expect him to be a Johnson is extremely harsh on the lad. However he is also a weakness when selected there as well which other teams will look to exploit. Cissokho being injured hasn't helped either though, and when we get him back and get him on a run of games then hopefully this issue will be resolved.

I think our next transfer window we should be looking at options for those 2 areas. We can't surely have ourselves in a position whereby if a few players go down to injury then we are left exposed somewhat.

But hey on a positive note, i'd take 10 points out of a possible 15 points in our first five games any day of the week.

Offline bas5times

• Anny Roader
  • Fickleness is not cool
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »
so hang on the OP starts this shitty thread IMHO as a reaction to the knee jerk comments and the moaners and now it is a vehicle for knee jerk comments and moaning after just 5 games, so not being funny but I do detect a glaring error of logic here.

Its not meant to be about 'moaning' or 'kneejerk' shit. Our performances haven't been particularly awe inspiring whilst overall the results have been good. Is it ok for people to talk about potential weaknesses in the squad or do we have to just pretend everything is amazing and we are certs for 4th?

I think I should have used a different title, maybe that would reduce hostile reactions from people here. But then I did make my own position clear.