Author Topic: One Love - The Football Art Prize - win yourself £15,000!  (Read 4945 times)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
One Love - The Football Art Prize - win yourself £15,000!
« on: September 6, 2006, 02:04:13 pm »
The Lowry and UMBRO are delighted to announce One Love: The Football Art Prize. Whether it's a crowd scene or a match in action or simply what sums up 'the beautiful game' to you, the aim is to create an exhibition that reflects the unique emotion, passion and the sheer joy that football can unleash in us.

Any two dimensional medium including photography and moving image is acceptable, and with prizes totalling £25000 on offer, artists are invited to submit up to three works for this prize.

The inspiration for this prize comes from a project run some 53 years ago when the Football Association sponsored a competition entitled Football and the Fine Arts which was won by L S Lowry with Going to the Match. The painting was purchased by the PFA in 1999 for an unprecedented £1.9 million and is on loan to The Lowry where it is seen by hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.

The judging panel will be chaired by writer and curator, Sacha Craddock, and will include: David James, former England #1 with 34 caps, and over 500 appearances for top flight clubs including Liverpool and Manchester City, and a keen amateur artist; Former Director General of the BBC Greg Dyke who is now the Chancellor of the University of York; and Mark Wallinger one of Britain's leading contemporary artists famous for his statue Ecce Homo, for the fourth plinth of Trafalgar Square in 1999. Lindsay Brooks, Head of Galleries at The Lowry will also be on the judging panel.

Adrian Cory, Director of Brand Marketing at UMBRO "The collective spirit of the game touches peoples' lives in countless different ways. What truly draws people to the game isn't fame or money, it is the emotion, the passion and sheer joy of playing football. At UMBRO we share that spirit, and One Love: The Football Art Prize is our way of demonstrating our feeling for the game." Entry will be in the first instance by image and the deadline for entries is 25 September 2006. Artists can apply online at www.parkerharris.co.uk where they can also download further information and entry forms. Approximately 100 works will be selected for the exhibition to be held at The Lowry, Salford Quays from 2 December 2006 to 25 March 2007.

Judges Lindsay Brooks Ð Head of Galleries, The Lowry Sacha Craddock Greg Dyke James Lingwood Ð Co founder Artangel Mark Wallinger - Artist Prize Money First Prize £15000 Second Prize £7000 Runner up Prizes £1000 x 3

Entry is £10 per work.

For all enquiries please contact:

Parker Harris Partnership
PO Box 279
Esher
Surrey
KT10 8YZ

Tel: 01372 462190 Fax: 01372 460032

Email:onelove@parkerharris.co.uk
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 06:10:46 pm by MichaelA »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: One Love - The Football Art Prize - win yourself £15,000!
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2006, 02:19:02 pm »
grifter? .. you've got 19 days...

Offline SteB

• Kopite
  • Our Reason, Our Inspiration, Our Pride. JFT 96
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2006, 03:32:50 pm »
Gotta be one of the pics of the big trail of fans walking to the Attaturk after getting out of a taxi or bus early
What you see is what you get Youve made your bed, you better lie in it You choose your leaders and place your trust As their lies wash you down and their promises rust Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns And the public wants what the public gets But I dont get what this society wants

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2006, 05:06:54 pm »
Gotta be one of the pics of the big trail of fans walking to the Attaturk after getting out of a taxi or bus early
You mean 'Going to The Final'? ;)
Mourinho, 19 Feb 2004: Liverpool over Chelsea, no doubt about it
Rick Parry, 22 Aug 2006: You have to aim for the stars, not mediocrity
Chris Bascombe, 21 Sep 2006: No matter how far back you seem, when you're blessed with class, anything is possible.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2006, 06:53:58 pm »
I wish there wasn't only 19 days to sort something out for this... been itching to get back to making art for what seems like months now, tho I can at least see some wood for the trees.. maybe November, but a note on Mark Wallinger (one of the judges).

He won't give a toss that you haven't been to the Royal College of Art. He won't give a toss if you haven't been to any art college at all. He'll like wit, and invention - he won't like straightforward portraits of players etc. They'll get literally 0.5 seconds of his attention. When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of that photo of Reds holding up aloft that framed photo of Rafa... he'd like that alot.

If you've only got a photocopier and scissors and pritt stick, it shouldn't let you stop you, tho I know the tenner for each proposed inclusion may put you off.

If you're thinking of submitting, make sure you budget for a decent photo or slide of the piece.. it's important. And of course.. if you are thinking of getting involved.. stick up your work here on this thread... a decent flag you've already got at home could make it's way in.. or .. share an idea so someone can nick it, bastardise it and submit it.

It doesn't have to be big either.. it could measure 4" x 3" if cleverly done. As I said, they're just looking for some wit and invention, surely someone on here could do the business?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2006, 09:23:11 pm »
When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of that photo of Reds holding up aloft that framed photo of Rafa... he'd like that alot.

I was thinking of the actual thing, not the photo. :wave

they're just looking for some wit and invention, surely someone on here could do the business?

We've got (one of?) the biggest and most emotional games of the season; maybe someone will come up trumps with a great image this weekend.  ???

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2006, 09:26:35 pm »
I remember reading that Pako Aysetran has put up pictures on the wall to depict fans' emotions of winning and losing to show the players how much it means to them etc. Something like that may be good. Or a Brazilian bird with her hooters hanging out. Either way, I'm easy.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2006, 09:28:19 pm »
I remember reading that Pako Aysetran has put up pictures on the wall to depict fans' emotions of winning and losing to show the players how much it means to them etc. Something like that may be good. Or a Brazilian bird with her hooters hanging out. Either way, I'm easy.

;D.

Boss if Pako actually did that.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2006, 09:30:04 pm »
I know it's not a picture, but the footage of Carlo Ancelotti chewing frantically with Liverpool fans in raptures behind him as the score was at 3-2 (?) is something I'll always remember when thinking of that night.

Oh and Pako deffo did say that. It was on an interview with dotteevee.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2006, 09:32:33 pm »
Either way, I'm easy.

That has never been in doubt fella.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2006, 09:36:47 pm »
That has never been in doubt fella.

:P

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #11 on: September 6, 2006, 11:43:14 pm »
would love to have had a go at this, but the timing makes it impossible, just not enough of it. cheers for lettin us know though matey. A paintin of Cisse on his knees in prayer when all the players were runnin to the Dude, a great scene that.

pity its so soon.

Y.N.W.A..............J.F.T.96.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2006, 12:52:38 am »
Don't get more iconic than this:

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2006, 12:54:42 am »
I was thinking of the actual thing, not the photo. :wave

but the actual thing, ie the framed photo of Rafa would be a framed photo of Rafa. It would mean nothing stuck on a wall, unless you knew of the context.. that photo of it being carried aloft gives it a context that others, an audience, can latch onto. A frame within a frame so to speak.

If anyone knows of the person who has that original negative... or those original negs.. get on their case. It's one idea of many that should be about, but it's a good one. It obviously reflects on decades of middle eastern idolatory, aswell as western devotion fed thru our newstations so there's that to feed onto aswell. It's ironic, respectful, genuine and witty - ie, ticks some decent boxes.

MDF backing, 6 x 4 inch photo, pritt stick.. job done.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 7, 2006, 01:21:22 am »
Don't get more iconic than this:

An original photo of images like that would defiantely get a look in, especially as you can't work out exactly what's going on at first - if you didn't know etc. Very reminiscent of an Andreas Gursky type photo that is. Or of course it could be painted. It may sound daft to paint something like that on a large scale (10x8 foot say), but it suddenly becomes abstract, and possibly incomprehensible - and therefore, perhaps, a succesful painting.