Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 831264 times)

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #840 on: November 4, 2011, 09:18:59 am »
i never heard about the trouble with napoli? was in naples in the summer gone by and really enjoyed it.

Great to-do about with confirmed troubles of our supporters.
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=265339.msg7598661#msg7598661

Whilst I cant recall if there's an actual thread, there was some stories some of these Ultras turned up at the home game. Few other whispers
but I've only the above thread as details.

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #841 on: November 4, 2011, 09:35:03 am »
Great to-do about with confirmed troubles of our supporters.
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=265339.msg7598661#msg7598661

Whilst I cant recall if there's an actual thread, there was some stories some of these Ultras turned up at the home game. Few other whispers
but I've only the above thread as details.

jesus that opening post is scary. and thats all ive read so far

naples people do not class themselves as italian. its neapolitan. (spelling)

was told that in the summer and wasnt really surprised. famously naples held the 1990 world cup semi between argentina and italy. due to maradona and their perceived independance the people from naples were actually cheering argentina. italian players on the night like riccardo ferri said it was just "eerie"

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #842 on: November 4, 2011, 12:12:34 pm »
1967 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 1-1
Roger Hunt 72'
Att 47,682

It was school half-term and 3 days short of becoming fifteen my mother and step-father took me to White Hart Lane as an early birthday present. It was only the second time I had watched Liverpool live. I remember little about the match, except that both goals were scored at the far end (the Park Lane end) from where we were sitting. Cliff Jones scored for Spurs and Roger Hunt equalised with about twenty minutes to go. It was a big thrill to be part of a large crowd, especially as I did not know at that age when I would be able to watch Liverpool live again. As things turned out, that wasn't until January 1969 so I just tried to enjoy as much as I could each occasion when I could get to a game.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: November 4, 2011, 04:39:17 pm »
The AZ Alkmaar game was the 1st ever Liverpool match I attended. I had seen Leicester v Ipswich on the opening day of the 1980/81 season (future Liverpool player John Wark got the only goal) when staying with an Auntie and Uncle in Leicester, but this was the night when I set foot inside Anfield as a starry eyed 15 year old.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: November 4, 2011, 07:47:08 pm »
I went to the Newcastle away game. we played really well, at a very tough place, and should really have won, but we missed too many chances. In injury time James spilt a shot, and Lee scored the rebound.

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #845 on: November 5, 2011, 01:05:12 am »
4th November 2010 : Liverpool 3 Napoli 1

I had a date after that game. I was hoping the game was a sign or something. It was our last date :(.

She played football when she was younger but didn't care to watch it.

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: November 5, 2011, 02:03:20 am »
Today In History
November 5th

1960 Plymouth Argylle (Division Two) Home Park 4-0
Alan A'Court 23' Dave Hickson 38' Roger Hunt 52' 53'
Att 17,641

1966 Nottingham Forest (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Geoff Strong 16' Roger Hunt 62' 75' Peter Thompson 73'
Att 40,624

1974 Ferencvaros (European Cup-Winners Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Stadium Ulloi Ut 0-0
Att 30,000

1977 Aston Villa (Division One) Anfield 1-2
Frank Carrodus (OG) 65'
Att 50,436

1980 Aberdeen (European Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 4-0
Willie Miller (OG) 37' Phil Neal 43' Kenny Dalglish 58' Alan Hansen 71'
Att 36,182

1988 Middlesbrough (Division One) Anfield 3-0
Ian Rush 44' John Aldridge 75' Peter Beardsley 87'
Att 39,489

1994 Nottingham Forest (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Robbie Fowler 14'
Att 33,329

2005 Aston Villa (Premier League) Villa Park 2-0
Steven Gerrard 84'(Pen) Xabi Alonso 89'
Att 42,551

2011 Swansea City (Premier League) Anfield ?-?
Goals ?
Att ??,???

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Rob Jones (40)

Flashing Blade (51)
« Last Edit: November 5, 2011, 11:11:51 am by Rafa_La »
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: November 5, 2011, 09:06:14 am »
Att 40,624

The defence of our 7th title was not going well and we had slumped to 9th place after losing to Stoke the previous weekend. But we were still strong at home. Bill Shankly kept the same team that had lost at Stoke and his faith was rewarded with a comfortable home win at our ‘fortress’, where we only lost two First Division matches all season. This win moved us up one place to 8th.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: November 5, 2011, 09:09:06 am »
1974 Ferencvaros (European Cup-Winners Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Stadium Ulloi Ut 0-0
Att 30,000

We go out of the Cup Winners’ Cup on away goals after failing to score in Budapest. Tommy Smith feigns injury and I think he got fined by UEFA for that. Check out this video-clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaVoselQzg. At around the 3 minutes 36 seconds mark a bottle is thrown from the crowd which clearly misses Smithy yet two seconds later he clutches his right shoulder and goes down as if he has been hit by a train. French referee Rene Vigliani picks the bottle up and encourages Smith to get to his feet as players from both sides (Brian Hall and Ian Callaghan from ours) arrive on the scene. The referee trots across the pitch and hands the bottle to one of his linesmen (4 minutes 30 seconds). Mental note to Smithy : Must do better. You’re supposed to be the Anfield Iron !

One of my friends went overland on his own, just as he had gone on his own to Red Star Belgrade the previous year. I think he was the only Liverpool supporter to travel from England to either match. He didn’t have a ticket for this match in Budapest and obviously did not speak the language. He found his way to the stadium and it looked as if he would miss the game. Ferencvaros had chosen to use a stadium with a much smaller capacity than the Nep, which they had used on our previous visits in both 1967 and 1970. Poor Mick was standing outside close to kick-off kind of resigned to not getting in. Then either someone from the club saw him or it might have been a local who realised he was from England. Someone grabbed him anyway and got him inside the stadium.

Massive respect to Mick for doing those two long journeys (Belgrade and Budapest) on his own. I travelled with him on a much shorter journey when we played Jeunesse in Luxembourg in 1973 and he was one of the most dedicated supporters I ever met. Then one day he just stopped going. Life changes as do our responsibilities and that can happen. Years later I bumped into him on a platform on Reading station but I never did properly discover why he suddenly stopped going to the games.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: November 5, 2011, 09:10:06 am »
Frank Carrodus (OG) 65'
Att 50,436

The first of two home League defeats this season (the other was to Villa’s neighbours Birmingham City). Villa were slowly building the squad that would win the championship in 1981. Andy Gray scored both their goals. Villa players scored all three goals actually because Frank Carrodus put through his own goal for ours. We dropped to fifth place in the table after this loss.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: November 5, 2011, 09:11:17 am »
1980 Aberdeen (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Anfield 4-0
Att 36,182

A defeat that then Aberdeen manager Alex Ferguson no doubt still bears a grudge about. His skipper Willie Miller kindly scored an own goal to help us on our way. Alan Hansen’s 2nd European Cup goal sealed a comprehensive victory. It’s the goal at 37 seconds in this clip  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyAkpIwHhg unless I am mistaken and this goal is the one Hansen  got against Alkmaar a year later. Phil Neal was a more regular scorer in Europe and scored his 8th goal in European competitions on this evening. Surprisingly, it was Kenny’s first European Cup goal since the 1978 final.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: November 5, 2011, 09:12:17 am »
Att 39,489

Ian Rush’s first Anfield goal since his return from Italy.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: November 5, 2011, 09:13:02 am »
Robbie Fowler 14'
Att 33,329

A 4th successive home win in the Premier League. Robbie Fowler made his fiftieth first-team appearance and scored the winner by deflecting Jamie Redknapp’s shot past Mark Crossley and into the Kop goal.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: November 5, 2011, 09:14:18 am »
Att 42,551

The 3rd of eleven consecutive matches in which Pepe Reina and his defence kept a 'clean sheet’. It was also the 9th successive match in which we had visited Villa Park and avoided defeat. It took a long time before victory could be assured. Steve Bennett gave a penalty 5 minutes from time after ruling that Peter Crouch’s shirt had been pulled. Crouch was involved in the second goal too. His shot was blocked by Olof Mellberg but Alonso was waiting to drill the ball back past Sorensen from the edge of the penalty-area.

Steven Gerrard made his 300th first-team appearance.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #854 on: November 5, 2011, 09:37:17 am »
Today In History
November 5th

1960 Plymouth Argylle (Division Two) Home Park 4-0
Alan A'Court 23' Dave Hickson 38' Roger Hunt 52' 53'
Att 17,641

Att 40,624

1974 Ferencvaros (European Cup-Winners Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Stadium Ulloi Ut 0-0
Att 30,000

Frank Carrodus (OG) 65'
Att 50,436

1980 Aberdeen (European Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 4-0
Att 36,182

Att 39,489

Robbie Fowler 14'
Att 33,329

Att 42,551

2011 Swansea City (Premier League) Anfield ?-?
Goals ?
Att ??,???

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Rob Jones (40)

These all have particular importance for me ........its me birthday!!....so on the day I was born we beat Plymouth ( although for years I thought we beat Arsenal at home!)...the most memorable was the 77 game....gutted on my 17th!...my mood only lightened on the way home seeing an Aston Villa coach with its tyres slashed....clearly the Aberdeen one was a good night ( I presume drinks would have been taken).... hopefully today will be a nice birthday treat!
« Last Edit: November 5, 2011, 09:40:36 am by FlashingBlade »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: November 5, 2011, 09:44:56 am »
These all have particular importance for me ........its me birthday!!....so on the day I was born we beat Plymouth ( although for years I thought we beat Arsenal at home!)...the most memorable was the 77 game....gutted on my 17th!...my mood only lightened on the way home seeing an Aston Villa coach with its tyres slashed....clearly the Aberdeen one was a good night ( I presume drinks would have been taken).... hopefully today will be a nice birthday treat!

Happy Birthday FB. Have a great day :wave

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: November 5, 2011, 11:02:32 am »
Robbie Fowler 14'
Att 33,329

A 4th successive home win in the Premier League. Robbie Fowler made his fiftieth first-team appearance and scored the winner by deflecting Jamie Redknapp’s shot past Mark Crossley and into the Kop goal.
my brother was at this game. You see him briefly when redknapp is taking a corner. Edition of extra time in his back pocket. Kriss if you remember that you get a gold star

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: November 5, 2011, 11:13:18 am »

You're on the list now!
Happy Birthday to you :champ
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #858 on: November 5, 2011, 11:31:58 am »
You're on the list now!
Happy Birthday to you :champ

Cheers! Let the 'Festival of FlashingBlade' commence!!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: November 5, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »
my brother was at this game. You see him briefly when redknapp is taking a corner. Edition of extra time in his back pocket. Kriss if you remember that you get a gold star

Yes. I remember the Extra Time paper. Still got a copy of it somewhere in which they printed a letter I had sent in. Gold Star to me, please  ;D.

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: November 6, 2011, 12:16:29 am »
Today In History
November 6th

1965 Sheffield Wednesday (Division One) Hillsborough 2-0
Roger Hunt 74' Peter Thompson 83'
Att 24,456

1971 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Emlyn Hughes 41' Ian Callaghan 55' Ian Ross 87'
Att 46,929

1973 Red Star Belgrade (European Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 1-2
Chris Lawler 84'
Att 41,774

1976 Sunderland (Division One) Roker Park 1-0
David Fairclough 76'
Att 39,956

1979 Lille (Friendly) Stade Grimonprez Jooris 1-3
Terry McDermott 62' (Pen)
Att 4,000

1982 Everton (Division One) Goodison Park 5-0
Ian Rush 11' 51' 71' 85' Mark Lawrenson 55'
Att 52,741

1983 Everton (Division One) Anfield 3-0
Ian Rush 16' Michael Robinson 60' Steve Nicol 85'
Att 40,875

1991 Auxerre (UEFA Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 3-0
Jan Molby 4' Mike Marsh 29' Mark Walters 83'
Att 23,094

1993 Westham United (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Nigel Clough 67' Alvin Martin (OG) 83'
Att 42,254

1999 Derby County (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Danny Murphy 65' Jamie Redknapp 69'
Att 44,467

2002 Southampton (Worthington Cup 3erd round) Anfield 3-1
Patrik Berger 45' El Hadji Diouf 56' Milan Baros 59'
Att 35,870

2003 Steaua Bucharest (UEFA Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Ghencea Stadium 1-1
Djimi Traore 23'
Att 20,000

2004 Birmingham City (Premier League) Anfield 0-1
Att 42,669

2007 Beşiktaş (Champions League Group Stage Match 4) Anfield 8-0
Peter Crouch 19' 89' Yossi Benayoun 32' 53' 56' Steven Gerrard 69' Ryan Babel 79' 81'
Att 41,143

Debut
Jon Otsemobor (2002)

Debut Goal
Mike Marsh (1991)

Djimi Traore (2003)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: November 6, 2011, 12:23:41 am »
1971 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Emlyn Hughes 41' Ian Callaghan 55' Ian Ross 87'
Att 46,929

A very sweet victory because the pain of losing the previous season’s F.A. cup final was still raw. Also, living and working in north London as I was at the time, winning this fixture possibly meant more to me than any other. Ray Kennedy gave Arsenal an early lead but Emlyn equalised before half-time, then Cally put us ahead with a delightful lob over Bob Wilson. Tommy Smith got his legs mixed up trying to prevent a goal but only succeeding in prodding the ball into his own net. Three minutes from time came the moment that made my weekend. John Toshack, in the six-yard box at the Kop end, laid the ball back into the path of the under-rated (and possibly under-used ?) Ian Ross and the Scot blasted it into the roof of the Kop net for only his second Liverpool League goal. High up in the Main Stand, I watched some departing home fans stop at the end of a row of Arsenal supporters and start pointing and laughing at them. Remembering how Charlie fucking George had celebrated at Wembley the previous May, I had to sit on my hands and bite my tongue to avoid childishly joining this baiting. But when I got back to work on the Monday morning, I certainly had a few things to say to those who had mocked me at my disappointment after the cup final in May.

I stayed at the Adelphi that weekend. My twin brother was in his second year at Liverpool University and so my mother, step-father and myself drove up from London for the weekend. My mother and step-father complained about late-night noise coming from the room above them. It turned out to be caused by American singer Del Shannon, presumably in Liverpool for a concert.  Mister Shannon would continue to ‘bother’ people with his loud music for a further eighteen years, until the day came when he blew his brains out with a rifle. Nothing to do with the football of course. But it’s amazing what we sometimes remember in connection with a match we saw.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: November 6, 2011, 12:25:26 am »
1973 Red Star Belgrade (European Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Anfield 1-2
Chris Lawler 84'
Att 41,774

Got to be fair to Red Star. They scored four terrific goals against us in this tie as they became only the second continental club (after Ferencvaros in January 1968) to win at Anfield in a European competitive match. Highlights here of this second leg :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp8ZRyYcr8A

and here’s a reminder of the quality of Red Star’s two first-leg goals :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl8txe9hHv4
« Last Edit: November 6, 2011, 12:36:24 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: November 6, 2011, 12:26:20 am »
1976 Sunderland (Division One) Roker Park 1-0
David Fairclough 76'
Att 39,956

Four months before St. Etienne arrived on Merseyside, the sort of occasion that gave David Fairclough his ‘Supersub’ nickname. Replacing David Johnson after 74 minutes, 19-year-old David put the ball past Barry Siddall a minute later. Unusually for a championship-winning season, this was one of only five away wins in the League.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: November 6, 2011, 12:28:16 am »
1982 Everton (Division One) Goodison Park 5-0
Ian Rush 11' 51' 71' 85' Mark Lawrenson 55'
Att 52,741

Jesus, what a manic day! Up the escalator and into the Top Balcony for the one and only time because I have vowed never to go back to “the ground that’s made of wood”. You know when you go to a match sometimes and say to a mate afterwards “we could have scored ten today” ? Well, we really could have done on this day. Neville Southall had a brilliant game, both Rush and Lee hit the woodwork in the first half (Rush in the opening minute) and Dalglish had a header mysteriously disallowed by referee Derek Civil, who also dismissed Glenn Keeley for cynically pulling back Dalglish. Keeley, on loan from Blackburn Rovers, never played for Everton’s first team again. Actually, we could have scored ten by half-time such was our dominance.

Everyone has seen the goals before but they are always worth seeing again :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwyN9__not4

I had been to Goodison a few times in the 1970s but this was the first time I saw anything unpleasant on the terraces. Heard ? Yes, you expect that and we give it back to them of course. But, brought up on tales of ‘the friendly derby’, I was quite surprised to see some Reds and Blues exchanging punches in the Bullens Road Paddock directly opposite from where I was sitting. Post-Heysel the verbal abuse aimed at us would gradually increase but it hasn’t often boiled over into the physical stuff I witnessed on this day in 1982.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: November 6, 2011, 12:29:16 am »
Att 40,875

Joe Fagan’s first derby victory as manager and a Sunday win that took us to the top of the table, a position we would not relinquish for the rest of the season. Goals from Rush, Robinson and Nicol here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5RW14_QIE

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: November 6, 2011, 12:30:51 am »
1991 Auxerre (UEFA Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) Anfield 3-0
Jan Molby 4' Mike Marsh 29' Mark Walters 83'
Att 23,094

One of our great European comebacks and anyone who was there (or even watching on television) will still talk with pride and amazement about how twenty-three thousand made a noise throughout the match that sounded as if it was twice that number. It was one of those rare occasions when we had considerable vocal backing from all four sides of the stadium.

BBC showed the match live and their preview starts with some terrific if somewhat blurry action of previous European matches played by the club :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUy5xJIdKWE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLE06CC364052D3904

Because of injury and UEFA’s “four foreigners” rule that restricted the number of non-English players in a match-day squad for a competitive European match in 1991, we were only able to name four substitutes and Graeme Souness was forced to leave out altogether Dean Saunders, who had scored four times at Anfield in the previous round against Kuusysi Lahti. Souness was practically forced to put a number of young English players into a pressure situation for which they had no previous experience. Substitute goalkeeper Robbie Holcroft never played a first-team match for Liverpool and another substitute, Barry Jones, only made one. Of the other younger English players Burrows, Ablett, Tanner and McManaman really ‘came of age’ on this night alongside more experienced colleagues like Rush, McMahon, Houghton and Mølby. Bruce Grobbelaar had one of his ‘unbeatable’ games and made crucial first-half saves to prevent Auxerre from scoring the away goal that would have put them through.

The winning goal from Mark Walters is at 50 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp8ZRyYcr8A

« Last Edit: November 6, 2011, 12:36:52 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: November 6, 2011, 12:31:41 am »
2002 Southampton (Worthington Cup 3rd round) Anfield 3-1
Patrik Berger 45' El Hadji Diouf 56' Milan Baros 59'
Att 35,870

A League Cup-tie in which local lad, 19-year-old Jon Otsemobor, made his senior Liverpool debut. Only five more first-team appearances would follow before he moved on to improve his chances of playing somewhere more regularly.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2011, 12:37:08 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: November 6, 2011, 12:33:05 am »
2003 Steaua Bucharest (UEFA Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Ghencea Stadium 1-1
Djimi Traore 23'
Att 20,000

When a player only ever scores one goal for a club (Alan Waddle 1973, Avi Cohen 1980, Howard Gayle 1981, Gary Ablett 1987, Nicky Tanner 1991, Phil Babb 1996, Steve Finnan 2004, Nabil El Zhar 2007),  supporters tend to remember that moment. Here is Djimi Traore’s moment :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rttF6D-Ccig

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: November 6, 2011, 12:34:13 am »
2004 Birmingham City (Premier League) Anfield 0-1
Att 42,669

Our first home defeat of the season and because of it we dropped down one place in the table to 7th. Woeful defending allowed Robbie Savage to cross the ball and ‘Sick Note’ Darren Anderton scored a tap-in winner. We ought to have had a penalty a few minutes earlier when Muzzy Izzet cleared a Carragher shot off the line and then handled Garcia’s follow-up effort.

It was Birmingham’s first win at Anfield since they improbably beat us 3-2 in January 1978, after which we embarked on our record run of 85 unbeaten home matches in all competitions, a run that was ended equally improbably by Leicester City on the last day of January 1981.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: November 6, 2011, 12:35:54 am »
2007 Beşiktaş (Champions League Group Stage Match 4) Anfield 8-0
Peter Crouch 19' 89' Yossi Benayoun 32' 53' 56' Steven Gerrard 69' Ryan Babel 79' 81'
Att 41,143

A record-breaking night and a hat-trick for Benny Noon (according to David ‘kerb-crawler’ Pleat). Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3hoO-tyPBA&feature=related

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: November 6, 2011, 10:15:39 am »
Whilst it will never compare with the European nights of Inter 1965, St Ettiene 1977 (both before I started going), Barcelona 2001, Roma 2002, Olympiakos 2004, Juve and Chelsea 2005, Arsenal 2008 plus any others, that game against Auxerre was memorable. Kriss has alraedy alluded to the fact that Souness had his hands tied behind his back with team selection because of UEFA's 5 non-English players rule. We'd also been comprehensively outplayed in the away leg, and were fortunate to only be 2 down. Helped though by a passionate crowd, the team showed real character that night to turn the tie round. 23,000 made enough noise for a 39,000 full house (capacity at the time). I remember Steve McMahon was captain on the night, and as the coin toss was completed he turned to the Kop and raised his hands in a gesture to say "turn up the noise levels". Auxerre were simply blown away by the atmosphere, and Walters goal was celebrated like we'd just won the final. On the final whistle Souness ordered the players to go down to the Kop and acknoweldge the support they'd been given.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: November 6, 2011, 10:22:01 am »
Att 40,875

Joe Fagan’s first derby victory as manager and a Sunday win that took us to the top of the table, a position we would not relinquish for the rest of the season. Goals from Rush, Robinson and Nicol here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH5RW14_QIE

We actually played Everton on the same weekend 3 years in a row. In addition to the 2 memorable games detailed above, we beat them 3-1 at Anfield on 7th November 1981, a game which will obviously be recalled in greater detail by Kriss tomorrow. Come on fixture planners, you know when the derby should be!!

1982 was my 1st match at Goodison. The game detailed above I remember not so much for the goals, but the Kop singing to Howard Kendall "there's a taxi at the gate!!"

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #873 on: November 6, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
Some crackers there.

The 5-0 at Goodison was memorable for me for more than rushie's 4 goals. I was in the enclosure near to the Park end and there was a bird in the stand behind us who got her tits out every time we scored in the 2nd half!
 Every time a goal went in a big chorus of 'get your tits out for the lads!' went up, as did her top. Great mammaries!

I think I'm right in saying the 3-0 win over the bitters was the game where the Kop sang 'the taxi's waiting at the door' to Kendall?

That Birmingham game was one of those we have witnessed far too often over the years. We dominated them for 90 minutes without scoring, should have had a penalty for a blatant hand-ball on the line and then got suckered from a late corner.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: November 6, 2011, 10:47:40 am »
We actually played Everton on the same weekend 3 years in a row. In addition to the 2 memorable games detailed above, we beat them 3-1 at Anfield on 7th November 1981, a game which will obviously be recalled in greater detail by Kriss tomorrow. Come on fixture planners, you know when the derby should be!!

It certainly will, Alan. I am just trying to sort out some action from this match. Rafa_La us trying to post the daily list of matches as soon after midnight as he can. Once he has done that, I will add my pieces underneath it.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: November 6, 2011, 10:52:22 am »
It certainly will, Alan. I am just trying to sort out some action from this match. Rafa_La us trying to post the daily list of matches as soon after midnight as he can. Once he has done that, I will add my pieces underneath it.

Good. I'm loving this thread as it brings back so many memories of my 30 years watching the Reds. It's ironic that I have a pretty good memory when it comes to LFC (dates of matches, results, scorers etc), but ask me what colour shirt I wore in work on Friday and I'm clueless!!!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: November 6, 2011, 11:09:11 am »
Good. I'm loving this thread as it brings back so many memories of my 30 years watching the Reds. It's ironic that I have a pretty good memory when it comes to LFC (dates of matches, results, scorers etc), but ask me what colour shirt I wore in work on Friday and I'm clueless!!!

How very true. We as supporters tend to remember things that the players, for example, have long forgotten. To the players each match was just to them the equivalent of "another day in the office" for us. Yes, they will remember as we do big moments (the cup finals, an outstanding goal) but I have certainly found in the last few weeks as I write about individual matches that from somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I am able to retrieve facts I didn't even know were hiding there!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #877 on: November 6, 2011, 11:10:29 am »
There were some great goals in that thrashing of Everton, I forget how quick Alan Hansen was sometimes, made the first goal beautifully. It seemed like every time Rushy got hold of the ball it would end up in the net. But I actually loved the goal Lawrenson scored because of that wonderful ball in by the King, just in front of the Blues defence, fantastic tap in.

Remember it too, because of my mate who was a Blues supporter who just couldn't keep her mouth shut, we gonna batter you she said the night before, I made her pay for the next six months for that remark! 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: November 6, 2011, 01:53:53 pm »
Yes. I remember the Extra Time paper. Still got a copy of it somewhere in which they printed a letter I had sent in. Gold Star to me, please  ;D.
my brother wrote to it too and also had his response published. He also got a personal letter from big Jim gardiner

ill possibly write about that Bucharest game tomorrow. What a Fucking horrible day. One of those days when absolutely every single person you encounter is an utter shitbag
« Last Edit: November 6, 2011, 01:55:43 pm by HELLRAZOR »

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #879 on: November 6, 2011, 01:57:03 pm »
It's quite remarkable when you take the present into context that you scored 8 against a European side a few years ago whilst you could not score against a promoted team this year.

Strange world, eh ?