Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool FC vs Tottenham Hotspur (Mothering Sunday 10th Mar, 4pm)  (Read 100412 times)

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3j-zCBIOzl8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3j-zCBIOzl8</a>

Best ever kit too.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You remember that didn't count cos they fielded their 2nd string? 8)

West Ham were 8th when we beat them.

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
West Ham were 8th when we beat them.

Fulham are now 10th and we beat them

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
I expect Rodgers to send us out all guns blazing.
I don't say this too often, but I think this is one of those matches where we'd gain a huge, huge mental advantage if we score first. Scoring first, would ensure that we wouldn't have to rely on our mental strength (which I hardly trust).

As for the formation, I'd expect something of this sort:

Reina

Johnson Carragher Agger Enrique

Gerrard            Lucas

Downing           Suarez           Coutinho

Sturridge     

[/font]

To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline MacJanner

• Absolute useless poster; his style of play cons no one into thinking he's a decent writer.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Lenin doesn't like me.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3j-zCBIOzl8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3j-zCBIOzl8</a>

That last goal is a beauty!

Also think we can score against these, we just need to watch out for bale because he tore us a new one in the away game for the first 20. Hope we learned from that.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
Fulham are now 10th and we beat them

Norwich were also top ten when we played them the first time

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

So Modern Day Spurs. They still have Chas and Dave as fans. They still have lots of “Geezahs” and they still have Gareth Bale. Their goal-toting Cornelius and he’s on form. We can’t ignore it. As much as we’d desire him to be on another planet for this match, preferably one that makes him feel at home with Zira and a bit of “Gertcha” on the jukebox, he won’t be so we’ve got to deal with it.
ant to win.

;D Ha ha I despise Spurs fans! Although to be fair Chelsea fans are equally despicable.

Cockney fans aside, I'm optimistic as always and believe we're definitely capable of taking 3 points from these at Anfield. Although Wigan are hardly the greatest test, was very impressed with the movement and work rate of our attacking players at the DW. Allen looks like he's finding some form as well, anyone disagree with starting Allen over Henderson?
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Brilliant write up that Harinder
If you dont mind I'll be cutting and pasting large parts of that to many Spurs fans that I know
My and I'd say here irrational hatred team too but have plenty of rationale for it

Apart from the 4-0  which I thankfully missed being abroad...have them ever and I mean ever deservedly beaten us?

The year we finished second when we mullered them and they scored jammy goals..this season at the lane
I'm going back the 80's too when they did a smash and grab with Garth fucking Crookes spawning a goal kop end

And the vast majority of their fans spout the glory glory shit you mention above whilst single handedly failing to grasp the fact they've won the league twice in that glorious history - the same as Burnley and less than Blackburn.

Plus up til this season they has the stupidest way of selling beer with a bunch of students behind a grill having to open up bottles and slowly decant every fucking one of them..

My thousandth post and a rant against Tottenham...that works

ha - go for it.

Have they ever deservedly beaten us? Honestly I would say once. Last home match of 2010-2011 season at Anfield. We were shit. They won.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
Dr Manhattan should be allowed back on the forum on the basis that he made the funniest post in the history of the forum with that one.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
Entertaining write up and thanks for it :)

Now I need Phase of Plays look in at what we might be seeing tactically and I'll be all set ;)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Same 11 for me. Bring on Sterling for Coutinho. I can't see past a draw at worst.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
Depends on what team turns up, and how we play the first 10-15 mins. Keeping the same starting 11 will help methinks.

AVB is a shrewd strategist and his ploy is likely going to be = soak up the early pressure and hit them on quick counters - and he has the ammo for it.

Brendan needs to have his own plan of attack, and a plan B, and C.

Doubters to Believers

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
Same 11 for me. Bring on Sterling for Coutinho. I can't see past a draw at worst.
You wouldn't play Sturridge?

My word.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
Depends on what team turns up, and how we play the first 10-15 mins. Keeping the same starting 11 will help methinks.

Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas is a shrewd strategist and his ploy is likely going to be = soak up the early pressure and hit them on quick counters - and he has the ammo for it.

Brendan needs to have his own plan of attack, and a plan B, and C.

I think it will be Either high pressure from spurs as we are uncomfortable playing it from the back at times and play our self into trouble Like against zenit at times., or they will sit deep and Hit us on counter on set pieces. I think the second option sounds more like spurs with Bale and lennon.

I Would love to see Suarez behind Sturridge with Coutinho and Downing on the wings, with Gerrard and Lucas in the middle, but I'm not sure if Luis defensively would help us dominate the midfield as I see it as a must (prevent Dembele or Parker slipping it through to bale or Lennon like against arsenal)
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline fcsantos

• Main Stander
  • Believer
One of them this, do we play it safe or go on the attack.  For me we need to go on the attack and test their high line.

One player changes the dynamics of our whole tactical game for me, Henderson or Coutinho.

Safe

Reina

Glen Carra Agger Jose

Lucas Gerrard

Downing Henderson Luis

Daniel           

Attack

Reina

Glen Carra Agger Jose

Lucas Gerrard

Downing Luis Coutinho

Daniel           

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Dr Manhattan should be allowed back on the forum on the basis that he made the funniest post in the history of the forum with that one.

Behave.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
You wouldn't play Sturridge?

My word.

Oops! Haha brainfart! He's become such an important player that I didn't even thought about him being out(strange I know, since I should've actually missed him in the last game).

Anyway- I'd still like to see Sterling getting game time against "tired" legs and a high line. If you look at that analysis of Neville of the Arsenal/Spuds match, I can see Coutinho slipping balls through that highline with saidistic ease and pleasure! Sterling can continue breaching that line with his pace- once they've become accustomed to dealing with Coutinho.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 04:41:52 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
Expecting Rodgers to start our best possible line-up in this one. Nothing else will get us the 3 points I don't think, and we need to keep winning these last games for European Qualifications. Number one thing for this game is, MARK BALE! The Arsenal game is a good example of what can happen when you let him run around by himself. He's class, and will absolutely smash us if we don't mark him up. If we can keep Bale at an ineffective level(easier said than done of course), then I think this game will be ours.
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
I think it will be Either high pressure from spurs as we are uncomfortable playing it from the back at times and play our self into trouble Like against zenit at times., or they will sit deep and Hit us on counter on set pieces. I think the second option sounds more like spurs with Bale and lennon.

I Would love to see Suarez behind Sturridge with Coutinho and Downing on the wings, with Gerrard and Lucas in the middle, but I'm not sure if Luis defensively would help us dominate the midfield as I see it as a must (prevent Dembele or Parker slipping it through to bale or Lennon like against arsenal)
Last season they came and sat back, preferring to counter. That was Harry though so we will see something different. We did play them off their own pitch earlier this season when we went behind, but one could argue they were confident of seeing out the 2nd half- very much like the OT clash, but we had a longer period of purpose.

That highline though- is a hallmark of Vija-Boa and got him fired at Chelsea so I think Rodgers has properly prepared us for that. Then we have a man that can breach that line with his intelligence and timing- Coutinho. Couple that with Luis and Sturridge ability to time their runs very well(see Jonjo and Sturridge vs. Mansfield) and we may have a surprise up our sleeves.

Offline THE KING LUIS VII.

• Kemlynite
  • They killed Kenny!! BUT not the right one.
I think johnson has a chance to prove that he is best RB in PL.  ???
Rodgers shouldnt let us opened to their pace. No Downing and hopefully we can beat them.
Our players should watch today how to defend.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
As Neville pointed out on Monday, Tottenham play a fairly high block with a very aggressive defensive line (4-2-3-1 shape but 4-4-2 defensive block). They want to squeeze the play for the opposition to play in and as a consequence they leave space behind, although Lloris will often sweep up behind their backline. We may see a fairly similar gameplan to the one against Wigan. Controlling the space behind the ball and attacking quickly, looking to release Suarez, or Sturridge if he's available, behind their centre backs.

The main thing we need to do is reduce the vertical space for them to play in. It would be risky of us to try and focus on controlling the ball this game and give Bale, Lennon, Adebayor etc the vertical space to run into on transitions. I do think Rodgers will try and get us to play a medium to low block and restrict that space and slow their transitions down. Then counter attack quickly, play through Enrique (long diagonals behind), or Gerrard (same thing). Sturridge's movement will create space for Suarez between the lines. The danger of that defensive strategy is that our lines collapse when we drop into our own area and then leave space in zone 14, just outside the area, for them to shoot.

Adebayor, although not the main man in their team, can cause problems with his movement - his movements behind, his movements to the side to make space for Bale. Also when he receives ball to feet, causing a centre back to come out, the backline then has to narrow so they can cover the space left by the centre back, which leaves space for Tottenham's wide players, particularly Lennon.

Another tactical question for us is whether we play a '1-2' or a '2-1' in the middle. If Sturridge starts then it will almost certainly be a '2-1' with Suarez behind Sturridge and two holders in Gerrard and Lucas. The beauty of this is that with two holders, we have added cover in the wide areas - they can shift across to back up the full back and the winger. In a '1-2' the holder has to stay fairly central and pick up between the lines and so his ability to move across laterally and assist the full back is limited because otherwise he's effectively covering the width of the pitch. Against a team like Tottenham which is counter attack and flank orientated, it's important we keep good cover throughout.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tommy, please don't take this personally, but we're going to twat these c*nts.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come On Redmen!
Win this one and we can start consider Europe!
Remember that Tery Mac goal as the best I have ever seen live at Anfield
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
snip

This is my take on it too. I was thinking during the Wigan game that once the 4th goal went in, we started to play like we were preparing for the Spurs game - for much of the Wigan game we played a 4-1-4-1 rather than a 4-3-3:

Downing and Coutinho got most of their touches inside our half, as well as the inside forward positions (Zone 14):

And Downing:

So it was almost like a replication of the Arsenal game - sitting deep, hitting on the break, only this time getting an early goal and Reina being in great form.

For me, this was an indication for how we'll line up against Spurs, who will probably go with their 4-2-3-1 formation:

Personnel will, of course, change due to availability, but the structure is the same - High pressing back four, solid central midfield two, Bale in a free role, a Target man up front for Bale to make runs off, a deeper left mid and the pace of Lennon on the right. Their pace is their main asset, followed by Bale's delivery on set plays. Dropping back ten yards and playing on the break is probably Rodgers' main idea, because the problem Arsenal had was that their back line, although pushed up as well, was also very flat (the hand of Steve Bould was all over it). They were caught square with a few diagonal through balls in that game, and that's something I think we will be looking to eliminate, so I would expect our defence to show a lot of depth, especially on the diagonal. This might nullify Johnson's attacking role somewhat, but we can more than make up for that with the pace and mobility of our counters. What our issue will be, is which players step out if we start with both Sturridge and Suarez? I can see us playing a similar 4-1-4-1 to the Wigan game, so that means we either do what we did against Arsenal and play Suarez on the left and Sturridge up front - in which case the question becomes who drops out, Coutinho or Downing - or we go with the 4-1-3-2 that has worked for us, in which case we'll have to play Henderson for his workrate, which again begs the question, who drops out? I could see us going for the attacking units we had against Arsenal, with Coutinho to come on for Downing in the second half - if we play conservatively in the attack:

Or if we take the game to Spurs somewhat, and go for the 4-1-3-2, it would look largely as it has since Christmas:

The only question would surround Coutinho and Downing - if Henderson plays, do we keep Downing on the right or throw Coutinho out there and use him to counterattack with his speed and passing? We can't really play Henderson there, as he tends to crowd the space Gerrard plays in, and he balances Gerrard out in central midfield on the left, so it could end up we play something like this:

The game will be decided by how we cope with the match-ups. I think that Enrique has enough to handle Lennon, and will be quite content to play a purely defensive role for this game, with a minimal amount of getting forward. Sturridge should occupy the Spurs central defence well, and if Henderson does the "1.5" job in left midfield, then that frees Suarez up to do some damage. If Downing is on the right, then he will both press the Spurs left back and double up with Johnson when necessary, as well as cover for any overlapping runs Johnson makes. Gerrard will be able to win his duel with Parker (or whoever occupies the left defensive mid position), and whether Spurs play with Adebayor or Dempsey up front, Agger and Carragher should do okay against them. If Defoe plays, though, then dropping back into the defensive third will be crucial, and it will be important to keep an eye on each of Defoe, Lennon and Bale. Bale is, of course, the danger man, and stopping him will go a long way to stopping Spurs. Lucas will be crucial in this, but so too will Carragher and Agger. If Lucas can push him onto his right side, leaving Agger to double team and Carragher to sweep up, then it will be difficult for Spurs to play through Bale. If they allow him to run on his left side and create space, Reina will have to be at his positional best to save the inevitable shots on target that Bale will get. The key match-ups are as below (with alterations for personnel, of course):

The key question, as mentioned before, for Spurs, is how much do they risk? They play Inter, then us, then Inter again. Villas-Boas is an avowed fan of the Europa League, so we have to assume he'll want a good result in the first leg against Inter - and if things are tricky after that game, he might actually rest some players for the game at Anfield. I think we'll see Friedel in goal, maybe some replacements at fullback, and Dempsey on the left. On the other hand, if Lucas is in snarling tackling form, Bale might see the bench early to keep him from getting injured. A lot of Spurs preparation I think will be governened by the outcome of Thursday's game, and because of that we might see a slightly weakened side against us, and a possible comfortable win (not on the scoreboard, but in the flow of the game) as Spurs preserve themselves for the second leg against Inter. That Thursday game will be watched with some interest by Rodgers, I think.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
As Neville pointed out on Monday, Tottenham play a fairly high block with a very aggressive defensive line (4-2-3-1 shape but 4-4-2 defensive block). They want to squeeze the play for the opposition to play in and as a consequence they leave space behind, although Lloris will often sweep up behind their backline. We may see a fairly similar gameplan to the one against Wigan. Controlling the space behind the ball and attacking quickly, looking to release Suarez, or Sturridge if he's available, behind their centre backs.

i remember someone (i think PoP, actually) making the comment in response to questions about not making subs in the wigan game....the gist being that after the fourth was scored, the remainder of the match was focused on going through the patterns we're looking to have in the spurs game. so there may be something in that suggestion there....

The main thing we need to do is reduce the vertical space for them to play in. It would be risky of us to try and focus on controlling the ball this game and give Bale, Lennon, Adebayor etc the vertical space to run into on transitions. I do think Rodgers will try and get us to play a medium to low block and restrict that space and slow their transitions down. Then counter attack quickly, play through Enrique (long diagonals behind), or Gerrard (same thing). Sturridge's movement will create space for Suarez between the lines. The danger of that defensive strategy is that our lines collapse when we drop into our own area and then leave space in zone 14, just outside the area, for them to shoot.

i think the past few weeks we've been playing in a manner that sets us up well against this lot; we've been med to low with carragher in, and we've seen more and more use of more direct service from the fullbacks and CM positions, which is not a feature i think many expected from us. there will definitely be space to play into behind their defensive line, enough even that a good weighted ball (which we have plenty of players capable of providing) should give sturridge enough to negate lloris' sweeping disposition.

Adebayor, although not the main man in their team, can cause problems with his movement - his movements behind, his movements to the side to make space for Bale. Also when he receives ball to feet, causing a centre back to come out, the backline then has to narrow so they can cover the space left by the centre back, which leaves space for Tottenham's wide players, particularly Lennon.

Another tactical question for us is whether we play a '1-2' or a '2-1' in the middle. If Sturridge starts then it will almost certainly be a '2-1' with Suarez behind Sturridge and two holders in Gerrard and Lucas. The beauty of this is that with two holders, we have added cover in the wide areas - they can shift across to back up the full back and the winger. In a '1-2' the holder has to stay fairly central and pick up between the lines and so his ability to move across laterally and assist the full back is limited because otherwise he's effectively covering the width of the pitch. Against a team like Tottenham which is counter attack and flank orientated, it's important we keep good cover throughout.

think it'll be a 2-1 personally....i think that's the best balance for the players we have and the environment. it'll be interesting to see how downing does; it's hard to think of the effect of him playing or not: he'd definitely provide width (and thus balance), and lots of cover for the most threatened areas of our defense (the fullback position), but not sure he'll provide what we need from an on-the-ball attacking perspective. my inclination is to replace his graft with henderson (no loss IMO), which would improve the passing from that position as well, but negate some of the spread that he'd provide staying wider....nevertheless, we'll have real tactical options from the bench in this game, no matter how we start and probably irrespective of whatever direction the game turns up until that point.....this has all the makings of the sort of game that could be a defining one for rodgers and the club going forward, in a number of ways.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
we're going to twat these c*nts.

seconded
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thirdurderdid

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
Sandro is out for the season. Dembele trained today though anyway, so should be fit for the Inter game tomorrow. Adebayor didn't train - but he really wouldn't be much of a loss right now. He's been absolutely useless since he got a contract!

If only someone had told you this would happen ;)

Miserable bastard that I am, I think Spurs will do us. I hope not, it would be a really statement to get a win here, but I think they're our kryptonite. Spurs' strengths are our weakness. I certainly feel this is the biggest test of Lucas since he returned. His form is clearly on an upward curve, but I don't think he's yet shown that he's physically where he was before the injury (or even looking close to that sharp). Spurs are stupidly quick. I don't think there's much nous to them or anything like that, but can't help but feel we're exactly the sort of team that plays into their hands, and have been for a few years. I'm not sure enough has changed for that not to be the case at the weekend, but I bloody well hope so.

Not sure Suarez has had a good game against them yet, so that gives me hope. You'd be stupid for thinking a team can keep Suarez quiet indefinitely.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spurs' strengths are our weakness.
This is what makes the game so intriguing. Will Rodgers have learnt from the WHL loss? He certainly needs to change a few things to account for their midfield, which is better than ours and as you say has all the attributes to worry us. Henderson has to start, need his harrying, to disrupt their direct attacks. I'm a bit more optimistic. A full week off, Anfield crowd for a 4pm kick off for a change, we need to blitz them early the same way they did against us at WHL.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 07:05:51 pm by Twelfth Man »
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Spiderous

• Rafa's biggest fan.
  • Kemlynite
Greetings,

Long time reader, first time poster; please be gentle!

The clips of the 7-0 game brought back great memories. I remember the day after the game going to my dad's mates house. He was loaded and had a video recorder (ask your parents), and we watched it again from motd the night before. I think it was the following year we beat them again and I had Chas and Dave sat behind me (ask your parents again). Shortly after that they beat us at Anfield for the first time in about 70 years thanks to dirty gob$hite Graham Roberts kicking chunks out of everyone.

Anyway, enough of the nostalgia, a win on Sunday is needed to confirm true progress, not just better consistency at smacking relegation candidates.

Offline norbert

• Main Stander
Last season they came and sat back, preferring to counter. That was Harry though so we will see something different. We did play them off their own pitch earlier this season when we went behind, but one could argue they were confident of seeing out the 2nd half- very much like the OT clash, but we had a longer period of purpose.

That highline though- is a hallmark of Vija-Boa and got him fired at Chelsea so I think Rodgers has properly prepared us for that. Then we have a man that can breach that line with his intelligence and timing- Coutinho. Couple that with Luis and Sturridge ability to time their runs very well(see Jonjo and Sturridge vs. Mansfield) and we may have a surprise up our sleeves.

We (Spurs) rarely play with a high line away. And as this game is sandwiched between 2 Europa games I don't see us busting a gut for 3 points when one will do. Whether we get that point or not is another matter but we are capable of playing like Albion did and being a lot more incisive on the break.

• Kopite
We (Spurs) rarely play with a high line away. And as this game is sandwiched between 2 Europa games I don't see us busting a gut for 3 points when one will do. Whether we get that point or not is another matter but we are capable of playing like Albion did and being a lot more incisive on the break.

i pray to god you play like west brom. that would make my weekend.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Albion's a bad example- almost as bad as Villa. Both those walked away with wins after 30+(15+) shots and they were all over the place at the back. Those just weren't our days(sadly we had many earlier in the season and last)- and in both we didn't have Coutinho or Sturridge. Anyway, we have a week to prepare and rest and we only have the league to worry about. We're not the same team that played you earlier this season. We've much more bite, penetration etc... and the result is goals galore. We've had some decent recent results, but Saturday will be a bit of a challenge. EL or the not..
« Last Edit: March 6, 2013, 08:57:59 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
2-0 win and the start of the decline of Spurs season. Only hopefully it will be us to nip into the CL spot and not Arsenal

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan

What makes you say one point will do? Arsenal are 7 points behind you but have what I'd say is a much easier run of games left, and Chelsea for all their stuttering are still capable of winning a run of games. I think it would be pretty dangerous for Spurs to start playing for draws now when they've worked hard to get into a good position.

I think a lot will depend on the fitness of Dembele and Bale, as without them at their best I'd say we've got a much stronger attack.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
I think this is a big game for us. It's time to show what we can do and every player needs to be on top of their game.

If we win and win well then it may be a defining moment.

If we loose then it may show that we still have a long way to go.

I expect our front three to have an exceptional game.
#JFT97

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
When Bob Paisley prepared the team to do this:

I doubt very much he done as much as this:

This is my take on it too. I was thinking during the Wigan game that once the 4th goal went in, we started to play like we were preparing for the Spurs game - for much of the Wigan game we played a 4-1-4-1 rather than a 4-3-3:

Downing and Coutinho got most of their touches inside our half, as well as the inside forward positions (Zone 14):

And Downing:

So it was almost like a replication of the Arsenal game - sitting deep, hitting on the break, only this time getting an early goal and Reina being in great form.

For me, this was an indication for how we'll line up against Spurs, who will probably go with their 4-2-3-1 formation:

Personnel will, of course, change due to availability, but the structure is the same - High pressing back four, solid central midfield two, Bale in a free role, a Target man up front for Bale to make runs off, a deeper left mid and the pace of Lennon on the right. Their pace is their main asset, followed by Bale's delivery on set plays. Dropping back ten yards and playing on the break is probably Rodgers' main idea, because the problem Arsenal had was that their back line, although pushed up as well, was also very flat (the hand of Steve Bould was all over it). They were caught square with a few diagonal through balls in that game, and that's something I think we will be looking to eliminate, so I would expect our defence to show a lot of depth, especially on the diagonal. This might nullify Johnson's attacking role somewhat, but we can more than make up for that with the pace and mobility of our counters. What our issue will be, is which players step out if we start with both Sturridge and Suarez? I can see us playing a similar 4-1-4-1 to the Wigan game, so that means we either do what we did against Arsenal and play Suarez on the left and Sturridge up front - in which case the question becomes who drops out, Coutinho or Downing - or we go with the 4-1-3-2 that has worked for us, in which case we'll have to play Henderson for his workrate, which again begs the question, who drops out? I could see us going for the attacking units we had against Arsenal, with Coutinho to come on for Downing in the second half - if we play conservatively in the attack:

Or if we take the game to Spurs somewhat, and go for the 4-1-3-2, it would look largely as it has since Christmas:

The only question would surround Coutinho and Downing - if Henderson plays, do we keep Downing on the right or throw Coutinho out there and use him to counterattack with his speed and passing? We can't really play Henderson there, as he tends to crowd the space Gerrard plays in, and he balances Gerrard out in central midfield on the left, so it could end up we play something like this:

The game will be decided by how we cope with the match-ups. I think that Enrique has enough to handle Lennon, and will be quite content to play a purely defensive role for this game, with a minimal amount of getting forward. Sturridge should occupy the Spurs central defence well, and if Henderson does the "1.5" job in left midfield, then that frees Suarez up to do some damage. If Downing is on the right, then he will both press the Spurs left back and double up with Johnson when necessary, as well as cover for any overlapping runs Johnson makes. Gerrard will be able to win his duel with Parker (or whoever occupies the left defensive mid position), and whether Spurs play with Adebayor or Dempsey up front, Agger and Carragher should do okay against them. If Defoe plays, though, then dropping back into the defensive third will be crucial, and it will be important to keep an eye on each of Defoe, Lennon and Bale. Bale is, of course, the danger man, and stopping him will go a long way to stopping Spurs. Lucas will be crucial in this, but so too will Carragher and Agger. If Lucas can push him onto his right side, leaving Agger to double team and Carragher to sweep up, then it will be difficult for Spurs to play through Bale. If they allow him to run on his left side and create space, Reina will have to be at his positional best to save the inevitable shots on target that Bale will get. The key match-ups are as below (with alterations for personnel, of course):

The key question, as mentioned before, for Spurs, is how much do they risk? They play Inter, then us, then Inter again. Villas-Boas is an avowed fan of the Europa League, so we have to assume he'll want a good result in the first leg against Inter - and if things are tricky after that game, he might actually rest some players for the game at Anfield. I think we'll see Friedel in goal, maybe some replacements at fullback, and Dempsey on the left. On the other hand, if Lucas is in snarling tackling form, Bale might see the bench early to keep him from getting injured. A lot of Spurs preparation I think will be governened by the outcome of Thursday's game, and because of that we might see a slightly weakened side against us, and a possible comfortable win (not on the scoreboard, but in the flow of the game) as Spurs preserve themselves for the second leg against Inter. That Thursday game will be watched with some interest by Rodgers, I think.

• Kopite
When Bob Paisley prepared the team to do this:

I doubt very much he done as much as this:

and you would know, wouldn't you....

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
and you would know, wouldn't you....

Actually, yes....