Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by MNAA on Today at 12:49:33 pm »
Ah well, it's not for everybody. And you'll always have the Fairs Cup.
Absolutely. If Arsenal fans think that all they need to do is to turn up to win to the European Cup (Champions League to the Premier League generation), then they are a deluded lot. The elites know how to win this. The pretenders not so much
I don't mind Micah, he seems a generally sound guy who enjoys his job regardless of his associations with Man City, which is understandable considering he was with them before the billions. He can be complimentary and respectful towards Liverpool too, was listening to The Rest Is Football special episode on Anfield with Lineker and there was obvious reverence there.

Compare and contrast to the utterly vile Danny Mills, and there's really nothing to complain about.

Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by Historical Fool on Today at 12:48:37 pm »
I get you, I think we should offer him a two year extension, saying that a Saudi Arabian team will probably still bid high for a washed up Salah like they did a washed up Fabinho so I don’t understand everyone’s panic about getting a big fee for him.

Because it’s risk. You can’t say for certain in 2-3 years time the Saudi Pro League will still be a thing or propped up by silly money. Look at the Chinese league experiment - a couple of years of huge lavish spending, then suddenly zilch. Appreciate it’s not apples to apples but as a cautionary tale for developing leagues, it’s a warning at least …
Ticket and Travel Info / Re: The FA Cup
« Last post by redgriffin73 on Today at 12:48:19 pm »

Third round also exclusive of EPL I assume? :P

I feel like they've waited for Jurgen to leave before deciding no replays is a good thing!
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: New Kit thread
« Last post by Jon2lfc on Today at 12:47:20 pm »
Next season;s kits.

The Home reminds me of a cheap, market knock-off that you might find being sold in Turkey or Thailand.
Like a 'LFC' shirt that's not even similar to that season's Home shirt, but gets bought anyway for the novelty value whilst on holiday, or by locals with not much cash.

The Away reminds me of the 80s shirts we had, apart from the pattern :D
I like it. But need to see the socks and shorts.

The Third reminds me of one of the other kits we had that I remember Mane, Bobby, and Mo starring in so brings back good memories. I think it was that armour/mesh kit with similar colours.
Cool - I'd happily buy Isak too.
(I'd buy forwards with high npxg every window if I could)
Sign me up for buying Isak too.

PSR baby!!
Yes. I wouldn't sell Nunez to buy Isak. I'd happily buy Isak and play Nunez as a wide striker though.

Cool - I'd happily buy Isak too.
(I'd buy forwards with high npxg every window if I could)
From what I've seen of Isak I don't think he's as creative as Nunez, we don't disagree there. He definitely doesn't work as hard, but his touch is pretty immaculate. Either way i's probable that in a more positive team, those xA numbers would improve. I like Gordon, and I like Barnes when he's fit, but otherwise he's not had much support around him.

My gripe would be that if Isak shot more often, those xG numbers go up, and you rate him more even if he starts underperforming against that xG. Seems simplistic to say the least.
He's not as creative no, in fact his rate of xA is pretty stable from Sociedad to Newcastle, likewise with Nunez from Benfica to Liverpool.

His touch is immaculate yes and that's valuable. He plays the same amount of passes per game as Nunez (22) but his pass completion is 78% v Nunez's 70%, but that makes intuitive sense when you consider Darwin is trying more difficult passes and creating more whereas whenever I've watched Newcastle Isak is very much just there to lay it off into wide areas - which isn't a criticism.

The key bit here is 'if Isak shot more often'. The thing is he doesn't. Why? Could be a few things - level of service, him prioritising more high value shots or him being unable to generate more shots than he currently is due to a technical/physical limitation - i.e. doesn't have the acceleration to create separation v PL level defenders. Again, I don't know for sure.

It's the age old thing of people saying they'd score 10 goals a season if they played up front for Man City. In general I think people underrate how important/difficult it is to get your own shots. For example put Danny Ings number 9 with Foden and Grealish either side and KDB in behind he doesn't suddenly become a 4 shot per game striker.
Outside of the immense schadenfreude at these twats being eliminated, I don't believe that a couple of extra games would have had any negative effect on their League performance - they are "conditioned"* to play two games a week at peak efficiency (even in extra time they were barely sweating last night while Real Madrid were dead in the water) - the optimist in me hopes that having one less game per week will impact them negatively because it will allow them more time to stew and overthink things (including Pep) - twats

* whether its actual legit conditioning or Lance Armstrong style conditioning we'll probably never know

They've reached the semis in the last 3 seasons.

Last 2 years they won 3 out of 3 of the league games before, after and in between.
3 years ago they won 2 and lost the game after the 2nd leg, but that was a heavily rotated side because the league was already all but won anyway.

So there isnt much evidence indicating that them going through would have significantly impacted them.

Sorry if im missing something in the specific vernacular, but is xA not a metric?

What i'm attempting to do is dig in to the details around a topline statistic like an assist. Something we all understand. But something if you think about it, as many have, can easily understand is quite a frail statistical output to assess a player by. So we move on to xA, something which provides more context to an assist, or what degree a pass could/should have been an assist and thats good! Its an improvement. But some will then check out at that point, and cease looking for improvement or questioning the validity of xA. Its a better measurement than just 'a' but that doesnt mean its complete and it doesnt mean we take it at face value.

So as someone who clearly has more knowledge of xA im asking you, what sort of completeness it brings to the table. You seem to rate it as a measurement (metric?) but how often if at all are you questioning it or looking for flaws in it? Seems like people within this world should and probably are constantly critiquing and looking for flaws in data rather than just holding them up as tablets as decreed from a greater power which relays an ultimate truth.

Skepticism is healthy when it comes to analysis, i know it may come across as me being snarky and I am to a certain extent, and like i say im sure these discussions have been had in great detail by many people much smarter than I but I'm not on an analytics forum. Im here to read aboiut darwin. So when I see data being used a means to understand his performance, is it not fair and right that the data itself is scrutinised somewhat?

Can you answer my question please so we can move forward

Your last long post was about actual assists.. this one is about expected assists

The point is to assess Darwin as a forward so how do you want to do that? - do you want to take assists out entirely?  ..
I'm giving you the power... you tell me how you personally measure/assess how good a forward is and we'll go from there...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10