Author Topic: Los Conquistadores Rojos ... (dare we start to believe again?)  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
The Conquering Reds? ... dear god, I hope so.

Rafa Benitez comes across as a pleasant, enthusiastic, intelligent and above all commited individual. He is assured of what he wants to achieve, seems to know exactly how he intends to achieve this, and is unwavering in his belief that he will achieve it.

Why not? He has confounded the might of Real Madrid and Barcalona and, even after the warning he issued by winning La Liga in his first season at Valencia, he still managed to repeat that triumph while having considerably less assets at his disposal than these huge clubs.

Josemi, Nunes, Garcia and Alonso. All speak of his motivational powers, of how he manages to make teammates mates, exactly that, friends that play for each other, for the good of the team. Act as a team, think as a team, play as team, one for all, and all for one (as Dumas once put it - old inside right for France, I believe). I think Benitez has clearly shown the benefits of his system; we have all been particularly impressed by Valencia at Anfield recently.

We had a reasonable team going here. We had 2001, a season of Cups and a mad dance over Europe culminating at Dortmund, which brought back the old feelings of glory associated with a Liverpool of yore. We had second place the year following, with a points total that would normally have given us first place. Still, something was missing, something was alluding us.

Players went missing for matches ... heads went down and stayed down. Rafa won't stand for that folks, that will be the difference. Benitez doesn't exactly shirk confrontation does he?

Le Tallac "I need to play" ... ok lad off to St Etienne for a season then.
Danny "you will play me for at least 40 matches" Murphy ... bye bye Danny lad.
Michael "hey, everyone knows I can take as long as I like to sign" ... Owen, sorry lad, no one told me, and no one takes the piss out of LFC while I am boss. Bye bye Michael.

Josemi arriving. Who wants to pretend they had heard of him? Brilliant, fitted in like he had always been there, and the tackle on the unfortunate AS Roma bloke had us all chuckling and whispering 'happy days' into our beers. He will do, deffo.

Nunes, unknown quantity really, but did break into the Real Madrid team, though he had had to contend with beating Figo and the FV for a place, so I am happy Rafa wanted him, and he has ended up with us.

Xabi Alonso ... well, wtf can I say? I AM FECKIN' DELIGHTED! Last summer Ferguson was thinking of paying the 20mill buyout clause for him. Real Madrid were sniffing like crazy to get him. Ex-Spanish and Real Madird great Michel says Alonso is far better than Vieira (Alonso can do all Vieira can do, but Vieira can't do what Alonso can). That'll f'ckin do me, then.

Now also talk of Garcia from Barcelona ... if this comes off, it will be superb!!

What have we seen so far, then? Grazer AK was a toughie on paper, they nearly knocked Ajax out at the same stage last season, yet we actually waltzed over them, outplayed them the whole match in fact. The team looked revitalized and looked bold, daring to utilise their new found freedom on the pitch to its full.

Spurs away - let's be fair, we ruled the roost the first half, they didn't get a look in. The second half we run out of steam, chasing the long balls from Spurs, our legs went, though if we had been given the penalties we should have, it wouldn't matter much. I have still seen more pleasing football in a couple of matches than I have for a long long while. Fact.

Benitez says he identifies faults, and will fix them one at a time until he has eradicated all the faults in our game. In the past we have all seen the faults occurring, and were totally frustrated under Houllier to just seeing them repeated, week after week. I get the impression that Rafa sees what we see, and WILL NOT ALLOW them to re-occur. Something very positive indeed.

Gentlemen and Ladies, I think we have a winner.

Dare we begin to hope again? Yeah ... f'ckin right we do.

LOS CONQUISTADORES ROJOS .. gerrin

© Red in Holland 2004
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 01:27:59 pm by Rushian »
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Re: Los Conquistadors Rojos.. (dare we start to believe again ?)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:02:20 pm »
A cracking read.These feelings of pride, of being on the brink of soemthing great again, keep welling up. I'm actually proud of the way he handled Owen. About time someone did- but to do it so soon? Balls of steel, that one.
Looking forward to reading this gain next may, in the glow of success!
One again, top read mate  :thumbup :thumbup

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 08:29:21 pm »
In response to your topic's title, we should never stop believing so we shouldn't be daring to start to believe again.  ;D

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 08:35:06 pm »
Absolutely top read that, just needed flight of the valkyrie playing in the background.  Stirring stuff.

I've noticed the difference this with our last two manager, with Houllier it was always with my heart that i thought/hoped he'd do it, but with Benitez its with my head, his record, the way he carries himself in the press, what people say about him and ultimately what he's turned out at Valencia who in my eyes were the perfect team and in the limited time with us. Its just so obvious the way he wants and needs the game playing.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:02:18 pm »

LOS CONQUISTADORS ROJOS

let the journey begin
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 11:08:02 pm »
Sounds good to me, too, mate. Arsenal, Chelsea and the scum.....watch out. the future's bright: the future's red.

YNWA.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

hoonin

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 11:14:57 pm »
Great read that :thumbup

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Re: Los Conquistadors Rojos ... (dare we start to believe again?)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 11:31:02 pm »
Benitez says he identifies faults, and will fix them one at a time, until he has eradicated the faults in our game. In the past, we have all seen the faults occuring, and were totally frustrated to just seeing them repeated, week after week. I get the impression that Rafa sees what we see, and WILL NOT ALLOW them to re-occur. Something very positive indeed.

Splendid post sir.
How is your goodself?

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 12:12:50 am »
Mr Kelly.. I am good sir :D

I hope all is good with you..   take care mate

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

dannyg

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 02:03:40 am »
Spot on about michael owen...
Benetez has showed everyone that there is no individual bigger than liverpool football club.

I for one, am not bothered that he has gone. we became way too reliant on his goals and it was reflected in the way we played. The saying was, I believe 'stop owen and you'll stop liverpool'.
Now with Owen gone we can maybe start to play the pass and move football that was demonstrated against Celtic pre season, or in the first half against Spurs. Benitez knows what he is doing and with the signings of Alonso and Garcia on the way the skys the limit.

Danny

Offline Pooch

• Not a fan of Michael Winner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont keep calling me Shirley!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 09:13:04 am »
if that isnt a battle cry I dont know what is. Brilliant post mate, inspiring indeed. ;)

Every single beat is red !

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 11:39:29 am »
Hurrah to that!  March on!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 11:47:40 am »
cracking read, but you need an 'e' in "conquistadores"  :P

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 12:55:45 pm »
cracking read, but you need an 'e' in "conquistadores"  :P
[/quote

Los Rojos Conquistadores..    That is probably correct.. but feck it.. too late now ;)

ta for the nice comments,

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores

red-sydney

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 02:20:08 pm »
top post rih, I now realise that its an easy thing to say that no player is bigger than LFC, its a different thing to prove it, as Rb has done. A quality team rather than a team of quality players is a modern movement, but I am sure as hell glad we have the vision to experiment. My pride in LFC is swelling beyond what I imagined - regardless of trophies, it's the attitude and revolutiuonary nature of this club that simply blows me away.

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2004, 01:18:02 pm »
Excellent article, RIH. Trust all is well with you.

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 01:31:38 pm »
Excellent article, RIH. Trust all is well with you.

Alright MB !!..  :D
Long time no see..  fine thanks.  Hope you are keeping well, luv ..  as well as continuing to keep multi-forums alive with your bumps and plugs and cross-referencing..  ;)

Nice work with the help to get Ray K a pc, btw..  class indeed !

take care,

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores

Offline cyn

• Archivist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Los Conquistadores Rojos ... (dare we start to believe again?)
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 02:01:29 pm »
41,000 bumps on lfc.tv so far  ;D

Any stories/memories about Ray Kennedy would be appreciated, RiH. He's so appreciative of fans' messages (his brother mentioned this on ynwa.tv the other day) - when you think of some of the prima donnas of today, it makes you want to do what little you can do for Ray.

ElBoss (the poster :)) has rung the Former Players Association again - still no word about the proposed benefit/testimonial match for Ray.

It's always good to see a post from you - bet finney misses his chats with you, Red in Clogland :).

Take care

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Los Conquistadores Rojos ... (dare we start to believe again?)
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2005, 12:14:23 am »
I never thought I would be so glad to have posted my hopes for us in this initial reaction to Rafa joining us.

He did what I hoped in his first season..  there is no words to describe how influential this guy is, he is total inspiration to the team he manages.   I hope no-one thinks he is going to stop here, he knows clearly what he wants to achieve, and will do it.   

We need a bigger trophy room.  end of...

btw.. I have cried more the last week.. than I ever did as a kid.  5 European Cups.  lads.. I still can't believe it.  Every foto of us with the cup sets me off... lol.

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores