Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 834153 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #2080 on: August 25, 2014, 12:03:04 am »
Yeah, harry was still there, wasn't that black haired bloke a wool from St Helens or somewhere that hated scousers? or was that a different bloke?
Don't recall a Mr Roberts, but it was 35 yrs ago (fuck I feel old).
He was Mr Jackson I think. Harry had a Morris Minor which Mr J made us strip, overhaul & clean to a state of perfection. Harry use to say "I'll give you guys a few bob when its finished", fucking hell it was running and driving like a primed cougar on acid when we handed it over to him mate and he didn't even say kiss me arse you c*nts.
I've asked an old mate on FB if he remembers any names. He was a hippy at 16 with black hair to his shoulders, at the METC we ribbed him but he said he'll never get his hair cut. Jesus he was right, he's 52 and has the exact same hair but its a shade greyer that the book itself  ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2081 on: August 29, 2014, 05:42:30 pm »
Yeah, harry was still there, wasn't that black haired bloke a wool from St Helens or somewhere that hated scousers? or was that a different bloke?
Don't recall a Mr Roberts, but it was 35 yrs ago (fuck I feel old).
It's rubble now mate. I Went past yesterday and its been knocked down in to a pile of bricks!

Online Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2082 on: August 31, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
http://
It's rubble now mate. I Went past yesterday and its been knocked down in to a pile of bricks!

What was it used for recently John? I don't  think it was still a training centre when I left for Aus in'96.
Are there any equivalent places around nowadays? As you alluded to earlier it gave a superb grounding in basic engineering skills.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2083 on: August 31, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »
http://
What was it used for recently John? I don't  think it was still a training centre when I left for Aus in'96.
Are there any equivalent places around nowadays? As you alluded to earlier it gave a superb grounding in basic engineering skills.
No its been derelict for many years mate. Merseyside Training Council changed their name to North West Training Council a good few years ago. Not sure what facilities they had/have.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2084 on: September 2, 2014, 12:40:32 pm »

Goodison Park filled to capacity in 1971 as a CCTV camera records movement of crowds for Liverpool University study.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2085 on: September 5, 2014, 10:55:12 pm »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2086 on: September 6, 2014, 12:27:58 am »
^ wow. What a cool book. Great clip.
exciting times in town in the late 70s & early 80s

Offline Six Beardy

• Granby Half-Brick Dodger!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: September 17, 2014, 11:36:07 pm »
Links to a video re photos of  80s music scene

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/491950267/revealed-the-photographs-of-francesco-mellina

Ooh that looks great, I'll definitely be buying that. I remember him from Erics, also the Everyman Bistro. One of those photos looks like it was of people waiting to board the Royal Iris, if it was for Elvis Costello then I may be in it. I hope the book has a lot more crowd photos rather than just the usual shots of bands.

Anyway, on to what I came here for.. it's a bit of a long shot but does anyone have a photo of the blue church in Seaforth, mid 70s, St Thomas's ? I've found a couple of references to it online but no photos. I wonder what ever possessed them to paint a traditional brick church like that, at least it was sky blue rather than Everton blue.  ;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2088 on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:26 am »

I can't find any of it painted blue.

According to here...(where you can buy a model of it and also other buildings around Seaforth!)

As far as can be ascertained, the building was white in colour for most of its life. It was painted blue in 1973, however, this was short-lived as in 1976 the church was closed and later demolished

There's a photo here on Flikr but it's not blue...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2089 on: September 19, 2014, 08:22:42 pm »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:20:37 am by Tsar Kastik »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2090 on: October 16, 2014, 11:23:24 am »
Few pubs I remember but never got the chance to visit:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:31:22 am by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2091 on: October 16, 2014, 12:23:41 pm »
Only being 25, I love seeing old pictures of Liverpool. There are alot of buildings aren't standing today which would have been brilliant to see in the flesh :(

Just looking through the thread I knew this picture had to be in L8 :)
I don't think I've posted this pic before - I know I've meant to a few times - but I've always decided it's a bit too vague/local. But sod it, you never know; I know I don't. All I have is the info in the title of the photo.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #2092 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:32 am »
A unique and personal insight into Liverpool in the 1980s

Some more here:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/pictures-1980s-liverpool-remembered-stunning-7981672

"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2093 on: October 26, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »
I look at those images of Liverpool in the 80s and honestly wonder how the city survived.  It looks more like a carcass than a city.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #2094 on: October 26, 2014, 08:25:19 pm »
I look at those images of Liverpool in the 80s and honestly wonder how the city survived.  It looks more like a carcass than a city.

I was in my late teens/ early 20's when they'd have been taken but looking at them now it's hard to believe they're real, probably at the time it seemed normal to be living in a city that resembled Beirut. Government of the day were talking about the 'managed decline' of the city and there's probably some in power now who feel the same but we're still here, stronger than ever.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #2095 on: October 27, 2014, 11:34:29 am »
A unique and personal insight into Liverpool in the 1980s

Some more here:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/pictures-1980s-liverpool-remembered-stunning-7981672

A lot of these shots could just as easily have been taken in the part of Manchester I grew up in. We called slum clearance terraced houses "bombed" houses - never had a bomb near 'em of course! We used these as playgrounds for climbing in - and for falling off and out of plenty of things too.

The cut (canal) was an endemic feature in many parts of Manchester - in my case it was east north east Manchester (think heading direction Ashton/Hyde) and heavily dependent on chemical works and coal. To think we occasionally went swimming in those stinking cuts! Wonder any of us made it to adulthood.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #2096 on: October 27, 2014, 07:52:29 pm »
A lot of these shots could just as easily have been taken in the part of Manchester I grew up in. We called slum clearance terraced houses "bombed" houses - never had a bomb near 'em of course! We used these as playgrounds for climbing in - and for falling off and out of plenty of things too.

The cut (canal) was an endemic feature in many parts of Manchester - in my case it was east north east Manchester (think heading direction Ashton/Hyde) and heavily dependent on chemical works and coal. To think we occasionally went swimming in those stinking cuts! Wonder any of us made it to adulthood.

I think the effects may have been mental rather than physical johnno. :P

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2097 on: October 28, 2014, 01:51:29 pm »
Anyone have any idea where the above three shots were taken?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2098 on: October 28, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »

1st one looks like the old grain warehouse on the Dock Road in Dingle .

The 2nd one looks like the piggeries viewed from the direction of Great Homer Street .

3rd could be the Leeds / Liverpool canal in the Vauxhall area .
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 03:23:08 pm by Spongebob Redpants »
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #2099 on: October 28, 2014, 05:14:54 pm »
I think the effects may have been mental rather than physical johnno. :P

Et quod erat demonstrandum! ::) ::) ::)
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #2100 on: October 28, 2014, 05:17:29 pm »
Granby St ??

They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2101 on: October 29, 2014, 08:40:50 am »

The first is of Brunswick Dock Grain Silo, viewed from around about here I think...

edit...I was wrong, see Red Boots post below for correct location

The second is a view of the Piggeries from just a little further back from here ...

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.414253,-2.974486&spn=0.000819,0.728531&cbll=53.414253,-2.974486&layer=c&panoid=xVMtTmwaxXds0foCvCGtPQ&cbp=12,88.81,,0,1.86&t=m&z=11

Note the shops on the left are still there.

Here's another view of the scene taken from the other direction..

That's Shaw Street running across in the front.

The third is of Tate & Lyles during demolition.

It's really difficult to get a precise location for this shot as the area has changed almost totally beyond recognition.

I think it might probably have been taken from this what was once a bridge over the now filled in section of the canal.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=liverpool&hl=en&ll=53.418171,-2.991575&spn=0.001368,0.00633&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.931174,23.312988&hnear=Liverpool,+Merseyside,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.418171,-2.991574&panoid=lLUnwCeV3-iasT_JJoyWvQ&cbp=11,189.58,,0,0&z=18

Here's an older view to give you an idea.

« Last Edit: November 2, 2014, 10:06:38 am by The Gulleysucker »

Offline alfonso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2102 on: October 30, 2014, 11:36:38 am »
^Good work locating those places.
Like a different planet now looking at them.

Pretty sure this fellas site has been posted before, but it looks like it was updated. Anyway, there are hundreds of photos here of the City:

http://inacityliving.blogspot.tw/p/l7-l8.html

And some here - like this one of the monstrosity under construction that sat in from of Lime Street for a few decades:

http://www.peterleeson.co.uk/liverpool/index.php
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:04:09 pm by alfonso »

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2103 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:04 pm »
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=athol+street+liverpool&qpvt=athol+street+liverpool&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=3CAFF846853651878B8D4BB9D795B8C105E58032&selectedIndex=4

Used to deliver Barr soft drinks after I left school in 85 and every few months we got an order from the post office in Athol street. We had to get there dead early and the driver turned the engine off and coasted to the shop. As we started to unload the tower block curtains twitched and it was like the opening scene of Raiders of the lost Ark where the jungle natives chase Harrison Ford along the river bank as loads of scalls flew down from the tower block to have us off. Luckily we never got had off.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2104 on: October 30, 2014, 03:23:14 pm »
If you click on the picture it says in the top right hand corner.... ;)
Feltwood Rd.
Fancy living in a road that describes waking up as young lad with the horn.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #2105 on: October 30, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »
where is that Vic?

Feltwood Road, Cantril farm before they built that massive estate (Cantril Farm) I lived in Feltwood road 1947 to 1965 when I moved out after getting married
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:50:12 pm by vicgill »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2106 on: October 31, 2014, 12:22:58 pm »
A lot of these shots could just as easily have been taken in the part of Manchester I grew up in. We called slum clearance terraced houses "bombed" houses - never had a bomb near 'em of course! We used these as playgrounds for climbing in - and for falling off and out of plenty of things
it was the same in Liverpool Johnno, bombsie's were derelict houses or land
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #2107 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:26 pm »

When I was a teenager my first real 'grown up' job was working on the Clayton Aniline chemical plant up that way.  I guess that would have been around the mid 80's.   It felt like a huge, vast site that employed Thousands. The site was so big we had a van to drive around in.

I recently drove past there, probably for the first time since and was incredulous to see it had disappeared and the land  being prepared  to be a Housing Estate.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2108 on: October 31, 2014, 09:18:30 pm »
http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/2014/10/liverpool-schools.html

Old school photos website, a superb collection.
Sent to me coincidently a few days after I'd just scanned my pic of our school football team and our school class at Sudley Road.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2109 on: October 31, 2014, 10:00:15 pm »
Maybe fitting in with the 80s theme, on a train going through Hamilton Square yesterday. They've taking all the old brown cladding off and there's the original brickwork behind it, still covered in lots of posters. Couldn't get a picture sadly. Anyone know when they installed the cladding?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2110 on: November 1, 2014, 09:15:03 am »
.....Anyone know when they installed the cladding?

Not sure, there seems to be little info around but it's probable it was done sometime in the 70's...

In the 1970s, as part of the expansion programme of the Merseyrail network,......... As part of this project, Hamilton Square gained a new platform (Platform 3) for New Brighton and West Kirby services, and the rest of the station was refurbished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkenhead_Hamilton_Square_railway_station

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #2111 on: November 2, 2014, 02:13:25 am »

First one is Hill Street/ Beaufort Street. Southern hospital used to be further down on the right.

Now:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3917265,-2.9761793,3a,75y,237.29h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s3Vo9pTyS2J-6NGg281vE3A!2e0

Second the piggeries, William Henry Street, in Everton.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4153395,-2.9694461,3a,75y,258.73h,72.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMF8T-N8dieElrHi6cHejXA!2e0

Interesting article on the conditions and lawsuits that blamed 'Hooligans & Vandals' for their condition.  Typical, hey, no mention the gerry building. They were unfit for habitation from the get go, like so much council housing from that era.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_City_Council_v_Irwin

Third is Tate & Lyles/ Leeds Liverpool Canal, Vauxhall.

From what I can tell, Tates Liverpool demise resulted from us joining the EU, which forced the UK to stop importing cane from 'the commonwealth' in favor or Euro-grown sugar beet.  No need for a facility close to a western seaport, then, hey?

« Last Edit: November 2, 2014, 02:50:07 am by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2112 on: November 2, 2014, 10:08:38 am »
First one is Hill Street/ Beaufort Street. Southern hospital used to be further down on the right.

Now:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3917265,-2.9761793,3a,75y,237.29h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s3Vo9pTyS2J-6NGg281vE3A!2e0

Spot on. I didn't locate it correctly above so I've amended my post up above to point at yours.

Offline alfonso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2113 on: November 13, 2014, 08:15:57 am »
Everton before and after (click on the photos to get a closer look):
Everton Aerial View c.1970 – Liverpool’s Heyworth Street area before major clearance was complete. The 1966 Housing plan saw Liverpool demolish 70% of its inner city housing and move 160,000 residents beyond the boundaries to new towns and estates. 

Everton Park when newly laid out, c.1990: The park was created on the cleared site of largely failed tower blocks and 60s/70s estates. 

Wiped Off the Map – The city that tore out its own heart. Everton streetmap, c.1960.  In the clearances, the high streets (in yellow) were converted to highways, and almost every side street obliterated, with thousands of houses replaced by 25 towers and maisonettes. The experiment was catastrophic.  The new 1960s & 70s estates were all but abandoned within a decade, and most were demolished and grassed over in the late 1980s to create Everton park.

http://www.sharethecity.org/urban-parks-and-landscapes/everton-park-liverpools-parc-guell-memorial-to-a-metropolis/

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2114 on: November 13, 2014, 08:58:37 am »
Lots of the housing probably was of a sub standard but god they got it so wrong and what a waste of resources over what a 15 year period . A few other threads on here but the  militant council got it so right on the housing issue , garden front and back ,  communities kept together were possible in the same area and houses that were built to a good specification and thirty years later are worth probably triple what they cost to build . That's what investing for the future should be about

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2115 on: November 13, 2014, 01:16:30 pm »
Lots of the housing probably was of a sub standard but god they got it so wrong and what a waste of resources over what a 15 year period . A few other threads on here but the  militant council got it so right on the housing issue , garden front and back ,  communities kept together were possible in the same area and houses that were built to a good specification and thirty years later are worth probably triple what they cost to build . That's what investing for the future should be about

I live in a militant (former) council house, I have to agree - it may not quite be big enough for a family any bigger than ours but having a garden front and back is great and there's a little space of grass round the corner as well. You can tell it's a militant house by the street names, associated with the Sandinista movement...built just post '83 I think...

Sandino
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_C%C3%A9sar_Sandino
and Corinto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinto,_Nicaragua
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2116 on: November 17, 2014, 05:35:36 pm »
I don't remember peering out through a boarded-up window, but the other 2 photos I can well relate to - although seeing as though there were only 5 in our house we couldn't manage the half doz in a bed,

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2117 on: November 17, 2014, 06:15:41 pm »

Incredibly poignant pictures Tsar, sadly probably repeatable these days in several locations of poverty and deprivation around the country.

I'd forgotten about Fyfe Robertson, mentioned as having accompanied Thruston Hopkins on that photo expedition.

Robertson was a good man, sometimes featuring on TV in the old Tonight programme and later 24 Hours. If I remember rightly, he was in a similar vein as the superb and sorely missed James Cameron for his biting critiques of social injustice and poverty.

It is also interesting (but also highly damning of them) that the then City Council put pressure on those photo's not to be published in Picture Post.

I do remember a similar series of photo's in the old Sunday Times Colour Supplement back in the very early 70's that showed similar but slightly more contemporary scenes from Liverpool.

One photo that really sticks in my mind is of some poor old fellow living alone and almost destitute in a run down block in town, and he was reckoned to be probably the last survivor of (I think it was..) the Lusitania sinking. It was just so depressing, it could make you weep, but after all these years, we now seem to be going back to that same situation again.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2118 on: November 17, 2014, 08:05:19 pm »
My memory is shocking Gulley, but even I can picture auld Fyfe and aye he was a good lad. Just checking up on his Desert Island Discs choices: All bar one was a classical piece - the exception was 'Come Together' by the Beatles. Crazy those North Britons.

He never looked anything less than 60 odd to me, so I'm surprised to find out he was Hopkins father in law!

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2119 on: November 17, 2014, 08:18:49 pm »
I don't remember peering out through a boarded-up window, but the other 2 photos I can well relate to - although seeing as though there were only 5 in our house we couldn't manage the half doz in a bed,

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/

The difference in Mathew street in the pic to today , flanagans bar now with michael showers rolls Royce parked up ! Not many rollers in Liverpool in them days