Author Topic: The Season’s Over My A**e  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
The Season’s Over My A**e
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:32:28 am »
As I get older, I seem to become more objective in my analysis of all things Liverpool F.C. Or so I believed. So after the disappointing night last Saturday when The Reds were so unceremoniously knocked out of the F.A. Cup, I was left questioning that objectivity. The game I had seen was more or less dominated by the home side and all that was missing was the cutting edge or the ability to put the ball in the back of the net. That was partly down to a bit of bad luck, also down to an effective defensive performance from Arsenal and ultimately the result of a decent display from stand in goal keeper Almunia. Having also watched such an abject display from Jerzy Dudek, to then not hear an ounce of criticism levelled against him by the BBC pundits, I began to seriously doubt my perception of the game I had watched.

Unnecessarily yards off his line for the first goal, Dudek followed this with a poor attempt at stopping a second goal which he should have saved. The third goal scored by Henry was laughable. It is fair to say that the Titanic went down faster than the Polish keeper and had he stayed on his feet, I feel sure that Dudek could easily have blasted the ball into row Z. Clearly then the keepers were the real difference between the sides. To hear the aforementioned pundits tell me that on the balance of play the better side won was hard to take. I have read and heard many opinions which reflected my own since the game and my self belief, unlike Dudeks has been restored.

Questions were again asked about the largely unpopular rotation policy employed by Rafa Benitez. Why play the second choice goalie in an F.A. Cup tie that was never going to be easy. The answer was fairly swift with Benitez conceding during interview that his substitute keeper was “promised” he would play the domestic cup games this season. I don’t see the need to rest a goalkeeper, especially for such an important game. Neither is there room for sentiment in football, a fact demonstrated by the capture of Pepe Reina (who played in the Carling Cup game against Reading) by Benitez shortly after the heroics of Istanbul from the then incumbent Dudek.

It is more than clear that the priorities lie with the Premier League and the European Cup and that is a sad fact of the modern era in top flight football, soured just a little more when you consider that Liverpool were defending their title as F.A. Cup holders.

After a minimal amount of time in which to be, to put it mildly, disappointed, a swift revenge could be taken in the League Cup which, after all, has customarily been far kinder to Liverpool Football Club over the years.

Before the game had even started the daggers were being drawn for Benitez who had, as is his way, picked a mixed side drawn from the full squad. Dudek remained in goal and youngsters Peltier, Paletta and Guthrie were employed. What ensued was an embarrassing drubbing from an equally makeshift Arsenal side which also contained a fair smattering of youngsters. The Liverpool youth were found wanting especially at the back and the Arsenal attack ran riot with Baptista and Aliadiere finally turning up to a game for The Gunners.

One thing though, which was certainly not lacking on Tuesday night was the Anfield crowd, especially The Kop. Where else other than Anfield after such a dreadful display, 6-3 down, would you see and hear supporters stood scarves aloft, belting out their most cherished anthem with two minutes to go in the game. Brilliant.

The aftermath has seen Benitez blasted for a deplorable team selection but in fairness to the gaffer, he has, like Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho and others, always picked an under strength side in this competition. Unlike with the rotation of players, which I confess I dislike immensely, young players need to play somewhere and at sometime and the League Cup is a perfect platform for them. I don’t remember any criticisms coming Rafa’s way when a side of a similar make up took us a good deal of the way to the final of the same competition in 2005.

Another justification for playing the kids is that this competition has been cruel in terms of injuries of late. A fact emphasised by the injured Gonzalez being replaced by Garcia only for the Spaniard to also suffer and see his season ultimately disappear on Tuesday.

Inevitably, the press have rounded on Liverpool saying that the season is over. This obviously implies that they give us no chance at all of beating Barcelona in the first knock-out round of the Champions League. Let them get on with it. The full first team has been playing very well just lately thank you very much. One goal conceded and twenty three points from thirty in the last ten league games have seen Liverpool climb to third in the table. Consolidating this form against Watford on Saturday will rekindle the confidence after the Arsenal debacles and if we can continue our league form through to the Barca game, we have every chance of beating them. This is not going to be easy with visits from Everton, Man United and Chelsea before the two legged affair. But there can be no better time to play the reigning Champions.

The Anfield crowd cannot be under estimated especially on European nights. I had the privilege of standing on the Kop for the Juventus and Chelsea games in the 2005 European campaign, and I know that that intimidating atmosphere had an effect. After the display of Tuesday which I mentioned earlier and the Reclaim the Kop campaign gathering momentum, there can be no question that they can have a similar devastating effect on the Spanish champions, allowing our season to rumble onward. 

© Jim Brown 2007
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Beggerz

• can't be custom title chooserz
  • Kopite
  • Pride of Merseyside
Re: The Season’s Over My A**e
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:40:59 am »
It is very possible that we can defeat Barcelona, and if we do, surely we are entitled to a better draw in the quater final.

Offline Zippy

• Main Stander
    • LFC Daytrippers
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:55:37 am »
Agree with most of that and its good to hear some positivity.  However have to disagree with your assessment of the FA Cup game - Almunia didn't have to play well because he hardly had a shot to save.  Rafa would say we "controlled the game" and he may be right but we didn't have any penetration in the final third IMO.
Joe Simpson@Wolf_Tickets209

http://t.co/XX0bwRws8b

Offline Red Chemic

• Main Stander
  • Hoping the good times are rolling back.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 01:20:40 pm »
I agree with most of that, and I'm really pissed off by the media over-reaction.

In Rafa's defence on the Dudek selection issue, the Balague book suggests that Dudek is regarded as a technically excellent goalie who suffers from a lack of confidence.  Presumably, the promise to let him play (some?  all?) of the domestic cup games was meant to show some confidence in him.  Telling him that Arsenal are too good a team for Rafa to take a chance on him, wouldn't help that fragile confidence.  As Rushian says, there's no room for sentiment, but if Reina got hurt in February, we would presumably have been depending on Dudek to be our first choice keeper (and may still be, God help us).  As it turned out, it was a selection that probably cost us both ties (I couldn't face watching the highlights on tv, but from my seat in the Paddock it looked like he was culpable in all 3 FA Cup goals), but Rafa doesn't have the benefit of hindsight when he picks his team.

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 02:16:41 pm »
I still believe that we will win the European Cup.

Excellent article.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 02:41:18 pm »
A nicely balanced article and I am also of the opinion that we can beat Barca and go further in the Champions League.

However, I think Rafa took a step too far with the team he put out in the Carling specially after the defeat in the FA Cup. He should shoulder some of the blame for what can only be described as an embarrassing performance. I took one look at the defensive line up and my heart sank. Regardless of the opposition, that back four along with a goalkeeper woefully short on performances and confidence could only mean one thing - and it happened in spades.

Time for a rethink in the domestic cup competitions.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 02:43:08 pm »
Good artcile.

The journalists and football "experts" that are having a go at Rafa over not respecting the Carling Cup really pissed me off.

Wenger's never won the League Cup, or even been in the final, in the 10 years he's been in England. And I think last season was only the 2nd time Utd won it with Ferguson as boss, last won in '91/92 if my memory's right.

But Rafa's the evil foreigner who doesn't respect English cup traditions and so on   :butt

Online lukas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:50:52 pm »
But Rafa's the evil foreigner who doesn't respect English cup traditions and so on   :butt

How does he not respect them?
PSN:lr3487

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 02:54:59 pm »
How does he not respect them?

'cause he puts out wekened sides. That's what's been said about the Arsenal game and that's what was said about after Burnley in 2005.

When Ferguson and Wenger, or Mourinho do it there's nowhere near the same coverage. FFS Alardyce puts out weakened sides in the cups but all you ever hear is about how great a manager he is - nothin to do with his mates in the media I'm sure!!

Online lukas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:01:18 pm »
'cause he puts out wekened sides. That's what's been said about the Arsenal game and that's what was said about after Burnley in 2005.

Burnley was very much a low, nightmare conditions and all that i agree a few more senior players maybe should have been included.

However, for the Arsenal game in the carling cup it was a must win game after the game on saturday.  But the team he put out included the likes Gerrard, Bellamy, Hyypia and for me the team he put out you would expect to be easily capable of getting a result.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 03:05:18 pm »
However, for the Arsenal game in the carling cup it was a must win game after the game on saturday.  But the team he put out included the likes Gerrard, Bellamy, Hyypia and for me the team he put out you would expect to be easily capable of getting a result.

If you mean that the team that started on Wednesday should have won I agree. But what the media have said is that he put out a weakend side and that he wasn't showing the tounament any respect, instead of picking up on how poorly some of these players were.

Online lukas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 03:37:09 pm »
If you mean that the team that started on Wednesday should have won I agree. But what the media have said is that he put out a weakend side and that he wasn't showing the tounament any respect, instead of picking up on how poorly some of these players were.

Agree mate and back to your earlier point about Mourinho, Ferguson etc not being criticsed its true, you only have to look at chelsea wycombe game he got no criticism whatsoever, unfortunately its just the way the media are with us. c*nts  :wanker

Online the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:36 pm »
Thought after saturday , Benitez was damned if he did, damned if he dont tuesday. Put's out the 1st team(which i'd wanted him to do personally)and unless they whallop the arse would of been criticised.
Put's out a "stopgap" team and heaven forbid loose's ..criticisism.
We've lost 2 in a row before and conceded 6 at home before. We've also BEATEN Barcelona before.
Onward and upward beginning with Watford, come on you redmen

Offline brendanbrady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 08:04:44 pm »
Consider the fact that these guys are playing a lot of games at this time of year (especially two weeks ago).  Rafa has to keep his men healthy and presumably, a few are dinged up right now and need some rest.  I think he did the right thing.  Put a solid team out there, but give the guys that need it, the time to recover for the second half and the European championship.
That being said, Dudek did not need to be in there.  Reina is a far superior keeper.  The goals he let up were awful

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 12:15:30 pm »
As Rafa said 'its a long way to go yet'. Our team is better prepared for the tough games coming up than we were during the tough fixtures at the start of the season.

Things will be different if we win the next 4 PL games and get a draw away at Barca. Sissoko's return in a couple of weeks is well anticipated and could give us a timely boost.

There's all to play for and I eagerly look forward to the next game, though not the media hype that will come with it.
Doubters to Believers

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 06:14:56 pm »
There we are, whilst i've been struggling to get it clear in my own mind whats going on the last 2 weeks it takes Rushian 5 minutes to explain  it all concisely.

Pretty much agree with it all....except for the bit about the Koppites.... they're gobshites. ;D
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 08:38:22 pm »
Who is Jim Brown, or am I missing something here?
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Online the oxonian

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:20 pm »
was in the dirty dozen!

Offline BigV

• Legacy Fan
  • Fight on!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 08:59:14 pm »
We controlled possession but we didn't create enough real opportunities and Arsenal's defence was very comfortable considering they were parked in their own box.

As for the Dudek thing, I think Benitez was being fair enough.  If he believes hes good enough to be 2nd choice then letting him play in cup games gives him an opportunity to fight for his place and be involved.  As it turns out, he looks like the lack of match practice has left him well short of what hes capable of.  He was a great shotstopper in the past despite other problems, but he was terribly slow against Arsenal.

Offline jim.lfc

• Kemlynite
  • Always the King
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:29 pm »
Who is Jim Brown, or am I missing something here?
I am sir. Can I be of any assistance??

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 10:11:36 pm »
Great article, sums it up nicely for me :wave
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 10:14:27 pm »
I am sir. Can I be of any assistance??

No not really, but it looked to me like a lot of people assumed it was Rushian who had written the article, so I wanted to clarify it.

Apart from that I think you are a bit over the top in your criticism of Dudek, but this has been discussed at length in other threads on the forum so let us not get into that.

The rest I agree with completely, our season is far from over.  :)

I can add that I`m looking forward to more articles from you as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:16:09 pm by Kaizer »
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline jim.lfc

• Kemlynite
  • Always the King
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 11:07:41 pm »
Thank you
I enjoy writing articles about my beloved LFC and it is encouraging to know that people such as your good self enjoy reading them. That is after all the point to them.

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 9, 2007, 01:31:54 pm »
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 03:43:53 pm »
Are you on crack?

nah its just Groundhog day...
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....