Author Topic: Liverpool under investigation for alleged tapping up  (Read 21537 times)

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Liverpool under investigation for alleged tapping up
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:10 am »
Liverpool are under investigation for allegedly tapping up and offering a forbidden inducement to a Stoke City schoolboy star.

The Anfield side are also accused of reneging on an agreement to pay the youngster’s school fees, leaving his parents – who pulled out of a deal with the club as a result – in thousands of pounds of debt.

To compound the family’s woes, the unnamed boy cannot now play for another team until Stoke receive a compensation fee of almost £50,000.

An investigation into the claims was launched earlier this year by the Premier League, which had already been looking into allegations related to a grievance Liverpool had about one of their own schoolboys joining Manchester City.

Both of the controversial transfers date back to last summer, when Liverpool allegedly tapped up a 12-year-old considered to be one of Stoke’s best youngsters.

The unnamed boy cannot now play for another team until Stoke receive a compensation fee of almost £50,000
The unnamed boy cannot now play for another team until Stoke receive a compensation fee of almost £50,000
Stoke had been paying the boy’s school fees as part of a contract signed by his parents, who wanted Liverpool to do the same.

Liverpool are alleged to have agreed to do so until the player turned 16, breaching a rule introduced around that time forbidding the practice unless a club offers to pay for all the schoolchildren on their books to be educated privately.

It is claimed that, on learning of this, Liverpool refused to honour their commitment, leaving the player’s parents liable for thousands of pounds in fees.

Stoke would have continued to pay those fees had the boy not moved to Anfield – even if his former club had released him.

The youngster’s footballing future was also left in limbo because of a controversial rule that prevents him playing for another team until Stoke are paid £49,000 in compensation.

A source with knowledge of the Premier League investigation said: “This is a shocking example of how children in Premier League football are being used and abused.

“This kid has done nothing wrong at all but he’s been left out in the cold and his parents are having to foot the bill for private education that they can’t afford.

“The whole thing is a total disgrace. Everyone at the top of the Premier League and both football clubs are fully aware of what has gone on, and it is something that must be stamped out of the game.

“Everyone knows how children’s lives and education are being ruined with the promise of football riches and it needs to stop.”

The Daily Telegraph revealed last year that children as young as 10 were being frozen out of the English’s game’s academy system because of compensation fees parents were unwittingly signing up to.

The Premier League this evening declined to comment on its investigation into Liverpool, one of a handful it is understood to be conducting into alleged breaches of its rules on the transfer of academy players.

It was forced to introduce a new five-step process for ratifying such moves following mounting concerns about the poaching of youngsters within the division.

One of those steps involves parents and clubs signing a declaration that no inducements have been offered for a schoolboy to switch allegiance, with the Premier League able to demand the phone records of all involved if it has any suspicions to the contrary.

It was unclear on Wednesday evening what sanction Liverpool would face if found guilty of breaching what are recently revamped regulations.

They and Stoke declined to comment last night on the investigation, the tapping-up allegation or the row over the school and compensation fees.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: Liverpool under investigation for alleged tapping up
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:13:18 am »
Sounds like some amateurish and very inconsiderate negotiating on our part.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:22:13 am »
Very strange situation indeed. Hopefully things will sort themselves out in the end, especially because the family seems to be in a real struggle.

Should we worry about points deduction ?
The change is cast

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 02:34:06 am »
Everyone taps up. Ain't nothing new. We just got caught doing it.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:59:22 am »
It's 3am, so I may be being thick, but how have we tapped him up? We've gone back on an agreement in a contract, and we'll rightfully be taken to higher authority for that, but how exactly did we tap him up? Is it because you can't sign youngsters of a certain age now or what?

Offline rkgriffin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:23:05 am »
It would be interesting if Liverpool signed the contract honestly not knowing of the new rule that  "introduced around that time".  I obviously have no knowledge of this but maybe someone honestly goofed and when they found out about the new rule had no choice but to pull out. 

It is a very interesting rule to begin with... does this mean that PL clubs can no longer pay for private school for anyone unless they play for every young lad on their books?  Sounds like the rule is making sure all kids are treated equal but I wonder if it means a lot of kids unless they are really talented will get a contract.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:17:00 am »
Yawn

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 06:54:23 am »
Hmmm

We didn't pay the school fees as they would have been considered an illegal inducement...

So we haven't paid an illegal inducement even though the parents think we agreed to...

More to this I suspect...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 07:20:04 am »
Feels like the Premier League should have put something in their new rules so that players who get caught up in this, the ones they're trying to protect, don't end up caught in limbo whilst a long investigation is dragged out. Although I get where they're coming from trying to clear murky youth football recruitment the rule looks like it was intended to benefit the clubs not the young players.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:09 am »
The important thing to remember is that the club is only under investigation, so as of right now should be considered innocent unless proven guilty.

Should we worry about points deduction ?

Chelsea got a suspended points deduction a while back, so I guess if found guilty that could happen.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:22 am »
It's 3am, so I may be being thick, but how have we tapped him up? We've gone back on an agreement in a contract, and we'll rightfully be taken to higher authority for that, but how exactly did we tap him up? Is it because you can't sign youngsters of a certain age now or what?
We offered to send him to a private school and pay the fee, something which we've done for lots of youth players we sign. There was a rule change last summer saying that clubs can't do that unless they offer to pay for all their youth players to go to private schools. If we offered them it before the rule came in and then backed out I'm not sure if we'll have done anything wrong, if we offered it knowing about the rule thinking we'd not get caught we'll take the fine or whatever.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 07:45:38 am »
I don't see anything in that article that suggests tapping up?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 07:52:27 am »
Liverpool are under investigation for allegedly tapping up and offering a forbidden inducement to a Stoke City schoolboy star.

<snip>

Could you provide a link to the source?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 07:53:42 am »
They have youngsters at Stoke?!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 07:54:25 am »

Or a family looking for compensation?  'A source said' probably means the family or their legal team. Maybe wait for the investigation to run its course before slagging off the club.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 08:19:07 am »

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:28:58 am »
Do Stoke pay for private schooling for all of their kids?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/22/liverpool-investigation-alleged-tapping-stoke-city-schoolboy/
The point is that Stoke already had an agreement to do so for the lad in question, and as this was a commitment made prior to the new rule, could have legitimately continued to do so. He moved to LFC, who agreed to pay his tuition, but then learned of the new rule and couldn't enter into this agreement, without funding all education for our youngsters, so we backed out of that.
I don't get where in the article we tapped the kid up, it sounds to me more like the parents are aggrieved that their diddums can't continue in his posh private education, I can't spot where we have done something wrong, but time I guess will tell as the investigation pans out
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 11:37:12 am »
The important thing to remember is that the club is only under investigation, so as of right now should be considered innocent unless proven guilty.

Chelsea got a suspended points deduction a while back, so I guess if found guilty that could happen.

We will win the league on goal difference, offend again, and get demoted to second by the deduction

Get your money on it
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 11:46:24 am »

Errr no.

Sounds like the club agreed to match the deal with Stoke, when the ruling had changed they then said they were unable to do so.

Compo face at it's finest.

Why doesn't Stoke take the player back on? oh, because they'd rather have £50k

Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 02:50:42 pm »
Damn it we can't even do tapping right  :no :no :no
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 03:05:29 pm »
Poor kid
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »
Where's Spurs when you need them?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 03:41:28 pm »
It sounds like signing for Liverpool was an awful mistake for him because it's meant he's gotten screwed by the rules that purport to exist to protect youth development programs. I don't really see what the majority of this story has to do with the tapping up allegation, though. Seems like the sob story was really just the motivation to spill the beans because their kid being tapped up didn't work out in their favour. But maybe I'm wrong - it's obviously a complex situation.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 03:51:43 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:20 pm »
So presumably this kid can't go back to Stoke as the new rules mean they can't pay for his education again unless they pay for all their kids education?

Maybe a simplistic view, but why doesn't the kid go to a non exclusive school with fees totalling £1000's?

Yes its shit for the kid that he can't play until Stoke get compensation, but surely this is partly on the parents?

As others have said, I fail to see what specifically we've done wrong? The new rules brought in to "protect" kids seem to be doing the opposite?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 04:33:25 pm »
So presumably this kid can't go back to Stoke as the new rules mean they can't pay for his education again unless they pay for all their kids education?

Maybe a simplistic view, but why doesn't the kid go to a non exclusive school with fees totalling £1000's?

Yes its shit for the kid that he can't play until Stoke get compensation, but surely this is partly on the parents?

As others have said, I fail to see what specifically we've done wrong? The new rules brought in to "protect" kids seem to be doing the opposite?

It's compo face that's all. Though I do have some degree of sympathy for them, if I am honest. They have partly fucked up, been a victim of a change of ruling but were, in education terms, trying to do what is best by there kid.

Though I not that there isn't any mention of what they would pay the kid, if the club indeed pays 12 year olds.

Private School and Stoke v Secondary School and Liverpool FC.

Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 04:47:01 pm »
I can't see what the Club has done wrong they were in negotiations acted in good faith and whilst the negotiations were going on the rules were changed. The only thing I would say is that it's a pity we don't have more clout with Football's administrators.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Currywurst

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 09:30:04 pm »
Presumably if they retain him on the existing (or pre-existing) terms, Stoke will then have to offer private schooling to all their juniors. They'd be in the same boat as us. Surely there must be some sort of interim arrangement for existing agreements.
Füreinander, nicht jeder für sich.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 09:40:52 pm »
I can't see what the Club has done wrong.

I nearly fell off the shitter reading that! :lmao

Not that Liverpool are any worse than any other team for doing so, but it makes me sick the thought that we're travelling the country uprooting however many scores of kids because one of them might one day be good enough to get loaned to Fleetwood then released. They're just kids, let them play near home with their mates and for their schools and Sunday teams and their local professional teams and stop trying to convince them to come into your van full of puppies and candy just to ditch them in a lay-by when their not at least 5 foot 9 by age 14.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 10:36:33 pm »

;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:17 am »

Not that Liverpool are any worse than any other team for doing so, but it makes me sick the thought that we're travelling the country uprooting however many scores of kids because one of them might one day be good enough to get loaned to Fleetwood then released. They're just kids, let them play near home with their mates and for their schools and Sunday teams and their local professional teams and stop trying to convince them to come into your van full of puppies and candy just to ditch them in a lay-by when their not at least 5 foot 9 by age 14.

Oh its been proven has it? Here was me thinking it was an "investigation."  Could we wait until the results of it before slagging off the club?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 08:16:10 am »
You literally quoted my post where I said I don't think Liverpool are any worse than anyone else but I don't like the idea of signing kids from across the country. And took from that the message that I feel Liverpool are "guilty".

Try again.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 12:21:41 pm »

I coached five years in Liverpool and had 2 teams in the Belle vale junior league, this is exactly what happens

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 07:43:55 pm »
Meanwhile ...

http://www.espnfc.com/arsenal/story/3088602/arsene-wenger-luis-suarez-wanted-to-join-arsenal-from-liverpool-in-2013

"It was very close, we had an agreement with the player," Wenger said. "We had been wrongly advised that he had a clause, you know, with a minimum [price]. But we had an agreement with the player. You can ask him."

They had an agreement with a player they didn't even have permission to speak to. Investigation to follow? Somehow I doubt it.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »
Meanwhile ...

http://www.espnfc.com/arsenal/story/3088602/arsene-wenger-luis-suarez-wanted-to-join-arsenal-from-liverpool-in-2013

"It was very close, we had an agreement with the player," Wenger said. "We had been wrongly advised that he had a clause, you know, with a minimum [price]. But we had an agreement with the player. You can ask him."

They had an agreement with a player they didn't even have permission to speak to. Investigation to follow? Somehow I doubt it.

Arsenal have the FA in their pocket as well now?

These two situations look very different, and most likely nothing will happen because of this investigation.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
(duplicate thread, ignore)
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 09:57:11 am »
WTF? I hope this is more fluff than substance. It's hitting loads of news outlets today

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/30/liverpool-transfer-ban-academy-players

Liverpool could be banned from signing academy players over allegations they breached Premier League rules when tapping up a schoolboy from Stoke City.

Liverpool are one of a number of clubs being investigated for poaching young talent as the Premier League seeks to enforce new rules on academy transfers. The Anfield club, who have been in negotiations with the League over a potential sanction, could be fined or hit with a transfer embargo if found guilty of offering a banned inducement to the former Stoke player. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid have faced similar embargoes in recent seasons.

The ongoing investigation centres on a complaint that Liverpool reneged on a deal to pay the 12-year-old’s private school fees, leaving his parents in thousands of pounds of debt. Stoke had been paying the fees until the player, regarded as one of their brightest talents, accepted an offer to join Liverpool with an inducement that the Anfield club would pay for his education until the age of 16.

When discovering that new rules introduced last summer meant the club would have to pay for all of their schoolchildren to be privately educated, it is alleged, Liverpool withdrew the offer, prompting the boy’s parents to pull out of the deal. However, the boy cannot sign for another club until Stoke have received a compensation fee of £49,000 from Liverpool and, in the meantime, the parents have been left liable for school fees that are believed to run into thousands.

The Premier League, ironically, is also investigating a complaint from Liverpool over the departure of one of their academy players to Manchester City.

Rules were introduced last summer in an attempt by the Premier League to address growing concerns over poaching and the number of children unable to join academies because of compensation demands. Parents and clubs must now sign a declaration that no inducements have been offered as part of a transfer. Liverpool are expected to be fined by the Premier League and could also be placed under a transfer embargo.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:29:45 am by ToneLa »

Offline joe ®

• Anny Roader
Re: Liverpool face fine and transfer ban for tapping up Stoke schoolboy
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 10:08:02 am »
Good. If we've broken the rules and screwed over a young player, we should be punished. So should City, too, if they're found to have done the same thing.

If it's just a ban on signing academy players, it might even help us in the long run.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Liverpool face fine and transfer ban for tapping up Stoke schoolboy
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 10:11:42 am »
Ah cheers Craig :) my thread has been merged with this , I'm soft  :butt

Innocent til proven guilty in this land, I'm a bit uneasy about the prospect of us being responsible for a family getting into debt.

But it's ingoing, neither the club nor the league comment!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:28:40 am by ToneLa »

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 11:19:04 am »
Arsenal have the FA in their pocket as well now?

These two situations look very different, and most likely nothing will happen because of this investigation.
Arsenal's tapping up of Luis Suarez is a thousand times the bigger story, but guess what?. With us having an eye on a player of theirs this summer, it will not be in our interest to pursue this. Send them the few days first team wages at best that is being asked for, it's small change to a club our size. Imagine the horror of tory parents in a poor town, and then having to be the one in the poncy uniform as well. When I think of a pushy parent in football, I think of the lad who ended up at Blackpool, Tom Ince, from Liverpool to the championship, because his dad could not keep his nose out of it.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"