Author Topic: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho  (Read 306560 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho
« Reply #1120 on: October 6, 2013, 04:11:51 am »
Both went to win the ball, but that understandable as the system is new. Didnt win the header and never tried to get back. Watch the video. In any case, what about the two previous screen shots I posted? In those its pretty clear he was way off his position right up on the edge of midfield while everyone else was holding good shape. I think this happened in all previous games too.

Watch the video again. Sakho was down and was limping for a good few seconds. The ball is in Sakho's zone by the way and there was a big gap in between the lines and it was good that he was proactive in trying to win the ball, a luxury afforded to him by the fact that we had two defenders capable of cover should he get beaten.

Your argument or the example you picked out is terrible.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1121 on: October 6, 2013, 04:19:26 am »
That's one of the key things the CBs and CM will need to figure out by the way. I think it requires one of the CBs to be aggressive and step into midfield to stop attacks, when opponents are attacking with numbers down the middle. But that requires the other CBs to cover that space vacated, and perhaps also the CMs to be weary of tracking runners attacking those spaces. The Swansea goals were good examples of how having that aggressive CB moving up isn't a good thing if they get caught out of position. The players need to be picking up those spaces and potential attackers if that aggressive push from one of the CBs is caught out.

If done correctly, it's a very good tactic because it means you look to win the ball back that little bit further up the pitch - and if that's done successfully because you have a CB capable of doing it consistently, then you have a quicker counter attacking opportunity. That's the reason Sakho is one to really watch. Because he's capable of playing those passes out of defence very accurately too.

It needs some work that CB and CM dynamic, but if we nail it, we can look to play some expansive attacking football without having the problems we did last season; being incredibly vulnerable to counter attacks.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: October 6, 2013, 04:26:40 am »
Watch the video again. Sakho was down and was limping for a good few seconds. The ball is in Sakho's zone by the way and there was a big gap in between the lines and it was good that he was proactive in trying to win the ball, a luxury afforded to him by the fact that we had two defenders capable of cover should he get beaten.

Your argument or the example you picked out is terrible.

Having 2 defenders doesnt mean going half way up the pitch and getting beaten.  Luckily CP didnt score. What about the previous 2 screen shots then? Where was he? Miles out again.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: October 6, 2013, 05:00:35 am »
Having 2 defenders doesnt mean going half way up the pitch and getting beaten.  Luckily CP didnt score. What about the previous 2 screen shots then? Where was he? Miles out again.

It doesn't mean that but that is exactly the luxury it can afford you sometimes. If you want to play on the front foot and dominate teams, you need someone that will gobble up every ball coming your way and send it back quick. It's quite clear Sakho is someone that will try and get ahead of a player and cut out the attack at its root if he can. That is his style and that is what Brendan seemingly wants as well. And in the first two, I would have to watch the play again but if Sakho doesn't challenge the player there, he has acres of space to run into from what I can tell from your screenshots.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #1124 on: October 6, 2013, 05:44:30 am »
I imagine that with the money we spent on him, people were expecting him to come in and boss some of the opposition forwards ... in reality, he's not going to walk into this league and oust Agger (a Barcelona target), Skrtel (prem experienced, learnt his trade from Carra and probably one of the top cbs in the league on current form), or Toure (11 years in this league winning trophies with top teams, 106 int'l caps, and still a colossus).

You compare him to the 3 above, and he won't come out looking like a 15mill signing. In fact, he seems to have slower feet than Carra did, and also seems to rely on his athleticism more than his positioning. However - he's got the potential to be better than all 3, and his style is much better suited to the new breed of Drogba style forwards that keep bullying our backline. Strength, pace, and ariel ability. Let's give him a couple of seasons.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1125 on: October 6, 2013, 06:27:31 am »
Here's me thinking he's been one of our better players.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: October 6, 2013, 06:29:37 am »
Here's me thinking he's been one of our better players.
I thought that as well. Outside of the near own goal, he was the usual, a beast.

POVs are really something.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: October 6, 2013, 07:01:07 am »
i said before Agger is my favorite player...but mostly because of his loyalty, cool character, and cool style...he's not very good at 1v1 situations and not very good in the air...Sakho so far looks superb in the air and 1v1 situations, and for me those abilities are crucial for any footballer and especially for defenders
YNWA

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: October 6, 2013, 10:34:17 am »
Im not sold on the kid yet, maybe because Im afraid of the crowd running forward claiming he is a beast, best thing since slice bread. He has his moments good and bad as his attempted clearance that was a bit of a whiffed punt reminded me of the great Traore : )

What I do like is he has improved everyone around him as Skrtel really has raised his game. Nothing like a bull fighting for his career, makes the intensity of his performance shoot up. Toure looks the man so far hats off to that signing and Agger has a fight on his hand in getting back in. If we do want to play the high line and add to the passing options from the back Agger surely will be close to the first team sheet soon when fit. That may relegate Sakho to the bench or it may mean he will get better and better once his feet get under the table here.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #1129 on: October 6, 2013, 10:59:10 am »
I said PSG sold him to us. They are cash rich and didn't need to. If they thought he was any good they could have kept him.

There's a reason for that. I dont know what it is. But there is.

The rest of your post you made up.

They sold him because he was entering the final year of his contract and wouldn't sign. He wanted to be a regular starter somewhere given its world cup year and PSG had just spent 30m euros on Marquinhos and he wasn't going to start ahead of Marquinhos.

No club, not even PSG can afford to let go of good money that they could get for an idle asset rusting on the bench.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1130 on: October 6, 2013, 11:05:44 am »
When all are fit, I reckon Kolo makes way for Agger.

The fella is and has been quality for us so far but he will need a rest now and again, he's 32 isn't it?

a back 3 of Skrtel - Sakho - Agger with Johnson and Enrique as wing backs is a very strong back 5 IMO.

I think that we will see more rotating of the central defenders this season, once Agger is fully fit. Ultimately, I can see Rodgers settling for the Skrtel-Agger-Sakho combination, with Toure as the experienced backup, but not before everyone gets fully accustomed to their roles in the system.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: October 6, 2013, 11:36:56 am »
I think the same 3 deserve their places for the next game but I can honestly see in a few games once were more used to this system that we will see all 4 rotate regularly which is what good teams do imo
And for anyone to suggest Sakho can't be good enough because PSG 'let him go' is fucking plain daft

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1132 on: October 6, 2013, 11:39:28 am »

And for anyone to suggest Sakho can't be good enough because PSG 'let him go' is fucking plain daft

You can apply the same logic for Sturridge (Chelsea/Man City) and Coutinho (Inter).

Offline Jizzinho

• Mr. Twanslatable methods
  • Main Stander
  • Ayre carumba!!!
« Reply #1133 on: October 6, 2013, 11:40:36 am »
I think he is boss...his been brilliant unfit, new league, absolute beast.

I think the 3 at the back is brilliant and suits are players but I do think the best three would be Kolo, Agger and Sakho

If we're going three at the back i wouldn't mind seeing Lucas there with Agger and Sakho.

This would give us everything - ball carrying ability, aerial dominance, pace andt he ability to distribute well to the midfield. Lucas would also be great at playing the central role as he is fantastic at breaking down attacks in a two-man unit, sweeping up and anticipating breaking play. In addition, the two central midfielders could then be freed up to do more pressing  / attacking.

There aren't many occassions where we will need two defensive midfielders (as Gerrard now is) in front of three centrebacks - that's defensive overkill centrally for this league IMHO.

Given the number of centrebacks we have and the form they're in, there's no chance Brendan will take this option but it could be the best way to use our players in my opinion.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: October 6, 2013, 11:42:40 am »
Sakho = Beast Mode
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: October 6, 2013, 11:43:01 am »
Thats my contribution to the argument
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: October 6, 2013, 11:47:37 am »
I think that we will see more rotating of the central defenders this season, once Agger is fully fit. Ultimately, I can see Rodgers settling for the Skrtel-Agger-Sakho combination, with Toure as the experienced backup, but not before everyone gets fully accustomed to their roles in the system.

I personally don't see that as I don't think Skrtel is as effective in that RCB role like Toure is. Sometimes Toure acts as a right-back when the RWB pushes up, which makes him perfect for that role.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: October 6, 2013, 11:48:45 am »
sakho and toure are providing a bit of what we have lacked a little in the last 2 - 3 seasons, players who are proactive in trying to win the first ball.....that can be risky, especially when there is a big gap between defence and midfield with the defence deep, or there is a big gap behind the back four as they are too high......as the players get used to each other more and the system is set, hopefully the starting position is better and more consistent, and the covering for the first challenge is better too

from my limited view of both, toure has added alot to the defence this year, but sakho is proving a good addition......and promising more.....great competition at the back now, something we have lacked.....options in terms of systems and personnel and competition for places
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: October 6, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »
We have 2 new players at centre back and have switched to a back 3 and some people seem to think it should be a perfect unit instantly. it's going to be a while before it's working properly aslong as we see improvement. (which we are)

Sakho once he's settled and got to grips with things will be brilliant
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #1139 on: October 6, 2013, 12:04:55 pm »
Toure I think has surprised everyone with just how good he is both in playing ability and especially the winning mentality, he was bought as a back-up but has proved to be indispensable. Skrtel was given a chance against United and grabbed it with both hands and hit form and Sakho has took his chance and doesn't deserve to be dropped.

I think it's BRs way whereby if you take the chance you've been given and play well then you're guaranteed to play in the next game. I love Agger but he just has to wait for his chance now.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: October 6, 2013, 12:04:55 pm »
Attached are more screenshots:
1st : Loses it again, the attacker is clean through.
2nd: Just about getting up when Skrtel is tracking back.
3rd : Skrtel stops the goal, Toure clears. He is no where to be seen
4th : Has only move about 10 yards, still not there even after the clearance.
5th and 6th : Where is he standing? Look at everyone else's position.

Not saying he is bad defender, but his positioning is abysmal. I think.

You do realise with a back 3 they have more license to come out of defense and make challenges knowing the other two are still covering.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: October 6, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »
You can apply the same logic for Sturridge (Chelsea/Man City) and Coutinho (Inter).
countless others across Europe too, there's also the fact that PSG didn't want him to go but as Silva has had his way with his insistence on only having Brazilian CB partners and he was on his last year of his contract then they had to let him go if he wasn't re-signing
I think even the rich clubs have to 'try' and keep in with FFP at some stage if they can

Offline BFM

• Legacy Fan
  • Compulsive hyperbolic exaggerator
« Reply #1142 on: October 6, 2013, 12:47:22 pm »
countless others across Europe too, there's also the fact that PSG didn't want him to go but as Silva has had his way with his insistence on only having Brazilian CB partners and he was on his last year of his contract then they had to let him go if he wasn't re-signing
I think even the rich clubs have to 'try' and keep in with FFP at some stage if they can
Is that true?
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1143 on: October 6, 2013, 12:50:03 pm »
For me, Sakho and Touré are nailed on with Skrtel battling it out with Agger for the 3rd back 3 slot.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #1144 on: October 6, 2013, 12:51:51 pm »
For me, Sakho and Touré are nailed on with Skrtel battling it out with Agger for the 3rd back 3 slot.

Agger, Sakho and Toure as starters. Skrtel coming in whenever required.

Offline Shady Craig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1145 on: October 6, 2013, 12:51:52 pm »
I personally don't see that as I don't think Skrtel is as effective in that RCB role like Toure is. Sometimes Toure acts as a right-back when the RWB pushes up, which makes him perfect for that role.
Agger and Sakho rotate LCB
Sakho/Skrtel/Toure rotate CB
Toure/Skrtel rotate RCB

I agree Skrtel if were going by last seasons showing on the right side of a defense would be the weakest link on the right of the 3, but playing the odd game there now and again shouldn't be too bad, and who knows he might transfer his Central form to the right

Spot on about Toure though, he seems perfect for that position

Offline Shady Craig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: October 6, 2013, 12:55:05 pm »
Is that true?
apparently so according to a lot of posters on here during the summer

It's why a 30 something year old Alex who Sakho is clearly better than was picked ahead of him

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: October 6, 2013, 03:10:45 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mTjCFxsVYSI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mTjCFxsVYSI</a>

In the tune of Waterloo

Mamadou - Teams were defeated, he won the war
 Mamadou - Promise to defend kop for ever more
 Mamadou - Couldn't escape tackles if they wanted to
 Mamaodu - Knowing my fate is to cheer with you
 Mamadou - Finally facing our Mamadou

« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 05:12:52 pm by stara »
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: October 6, 2013, 03:17:14 pm »
apparently so according to a lot of posters on here during the summer

It's why a 30 something year old Alex who Sakho is clearly better than was picked ahead of him

You must have missed when that rumour was debunked.

Offline Shady Craig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: October 6, 2013, 03:27:36 pm »
You must have missed when that rumour was debunked.
must have, how was it debunked?

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: October 6, 2013, 04:11:59 pm »
Pretty happy with the lad so far. His passing is crisp as it usually finds a team mate. His tackling has been very good especially his slide tackles. They have nearly every time saved a goal scoring chance or disrupted the opposition's play to an extent that the rest of the team has been able to get back and support the defence. His defensive heading has been fantastic is able to get above the opposition to head the ball away. Lastly his anticipation of opposition passing and intercepting has been very good also.

His only real problem has been possibly in a positional sense. Sometimes seems to be slightly too far forward. But that could be from the manager telling him to attack either the ball or taking the ball forward. Either way not necessarily bad things but can leave the keeper a little more exposed. With 2 other cb's though it's not THAT much of an issue.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 04:13:53 pm by abs-ibs »

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1151 on: October 6, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »
Not saying he is bad defender, but his positioning is abysmal. I think.

You're not going to win a whole lot of people to your side when you call someone's positioning "abysmal." I do think it's one of his weaker points (though I don't agree with all of your examples), but if it were truly abysmal we'd likely have given up quite a few more goals than we have. It's also something that, at his age, he's completely capable of working out.

Bottom line is that he's the big, scary defender that we've been missing for so many years, and he has more than enough other attributes to make "big and scary" only a part of his game. And he gets to work along side not only Daniel Agger, who's often been among the PL's best CBs, but one of the most experience defenders in the league in Kolo. He can really only get better.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1152 on: October 6, 2013, 06:13:24 pm »
I have been impressed with sakho

Offline Koplord

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1153 on: October 6, 2013, 06:18:19 pm »
Am i the only one who wouldn't replace Sakho with Agger ?

I think he has been very good these past few games and got tackles in and won headers in dangerous positions , i just feel with every physical duel he will come out on top.

As much as i like Agger i still feel he is not the level he was 3-4 years ago.
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: October 6, 2013, 07:05:33 pm »

I think he has been very good these past few games and got tackles in and won headers in dangerous positions , i just feel with every physical duel he will come out on top.

I agree with that. I feel a bit more sure with Sahko than with Agger.

Although if we're gonna keep with 3 at the back, I could see Agger in place of Skrtel.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: October 6, 2013, 07:15:47 pm »

No, not the only one.

His physical presence alone is worth a starting place (even if you think he's not a great defender yet, he's obviously not shite, and good enough to start at this level). We need that in our defence and have missed it every season since Sami left.

He'll be facing the likes of Lukaku and Giroud soon enough though, so we'll see how he handles them, but you'd feel better about our defence going up against players like that if Sakho (and Toure) are in that defence to be honest.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: October 6, 2013, 07:46:22 pm »

Completely agree. I think if Agger is to get back into the team, he'll have to fight for his spot, and someone currently in the team will have to warrant dropping due to their performances on the pitch. I just don't see how Sakho or Toure get dropped at this point. I wouldn't say I was worried when Agger replaced Sakho yesterday, but I definitely never felt we'd be as assured at the back. Sakho is just boss.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1157 on: October 6, 2013, 08:09:57 pm »
I don't think Sahko has lost an aeriel dual in the last two matches. Yes I think he is a beast but that doesn't mean I think he's the best thing since sliced bread-there is are inbetweens in life!

As far as the argument about his positioning and Skrtel-I think if you have a more modern view of the game and understand a 352 formation you are more likely to find his positioning understandable and if you are a more 442 guy you might find Skrtel's positioning safer. Neither are right but neither are wrong. last season it was often said we need a fast defender that is good in 1v1 situations and it appears we have acquired the best one of those available for under 25 million euros. Since his debut against a quick and skillful Swansea side he has barely put a foot wrong in my opinion. I would imagine he is instructed to defend proactively as there is cover with 3 central defenders and of course there is always a goalkeeper-one that is a great shot stopper!
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Koplord

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1158 on: October 6, 2013, 09:44:30 pm »
Completely agree. I think if Agger is to get back into the team, he'll have to fight for his spot, and someone currently in the team will have to warrant dropping due to their performances on the pitch. I just don't see how Sakho or Toure get dropped at this point. I wouldn't say I was worried when Agger replaced Sakho yesterday, but I definitely never felt we'd be as assured at the back. Sakho is just boss.

Toure , Skrtel , Sakho haven't put a foot wrong in these past few games and non baring injury warrant being dropped.

Really want to see Sakho against Lukaku then we will get a clear indication of how good physically he is
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1159 on: October 6, 2013, 09:52:33 pm »
Still would prefer Agger in place of Skrtel long term