Author Topic: Progress at Boro  (Read 9701 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Progress at Boro
« on: August 14, 2005, 01:19:14 pm »
Two points dropped, or one won? Away at a Premiership side who qualified for Europe (and want to be taken seriously as Champions League contenders), at a venue where the Reds traditionally suffer –– and the opposition defend for 90 minutes and muster not a single meaningful shot on goal, despite strikers of the calibre of Yakubu, Hasselbaink, and Viduka.

To me, that shows how far the Reds have come since a dismal showing at the same stadium last November.

In football, you take encouragement when you fail to win even though you've played brilliantly (as Liverpool did after the break; before then it was steady stuff at best, with the aim to not concede an early goal).

But of course, if you keep playing brilliantly and failing to win, then that becomes a problem. It's like winning when you play badly: seen as the sign of a good team. But if you don't start playing well, those wins will quickly turn to draws and defeats. (A pattern we saw in 2001/02, when Liverpool led the table early on. Performances got increasingly scrappy even though the team was scraping wins, and a defeat –– at Boro, coincidentally –– soon arrived, at which point a slump set in.)

You can only nick so many games. Similarly, failing to take your chances will cause problems if it becomes a long-term problem (after all the goals so far, one nil-nil stalemate is hardly cause for concern).

The first task away from home this season has to be turning last season's defeats (eleven) into draws and, if possible, a good half of them into wins.

This was always going to be a fixture where turning a 2004 defeat –– when Boro played an insipid Liverpool off the park –– into a draw would have been a satisfactory improvement, although the Reds' extra sharpness following Champions League qualifiers added more expectation. To counteract that, there was the fact that the Reds played in Bulgaria only three days earlier, and that's tough before players are 100% match fit.

If we can approach every game this season on the basis that we want a better performance and a better result than in the corresponding fixture of 2004/05, then we have to be happy (if not ecstatic) on both counts.

I spent a lot of last season arguing that 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1, depending how you draw it on a piece of paper) can be an attacking formation, if you get players forward to support the lone striker, and it was no coincidence that Steven Gerrard –– from midfield –– came closest to scoring, on no less than six occasions, and there would have been a seventh but for Ehiogu's crude intervention.

Gerrard's running off the ball was exceptional, and I liked the way he arrived very late from both the left and right flanks to head at goal. He must be a nightmare to have to pick up, popping up in such areas. The same formation with Crouch as the spearhead (although of course he more closely resembles the spear stick) would allow even more midfield runs to be made, given he can guarantee more flick-ons than Morientes, and better protection of the ball.

Liverpool did everything but score, and while the ref was right to send off Ehiogu, Ray Parlour should have walked for kicking Sissoko off the ball earlier in the match.

What a player Sissoko looks. With him alongside Alonso and Gerrard the Reds' midfield will be impossible to match. (And nice to have the option of Didi Hamann's experience and canniness as well.) When Rafa was comparing Sissoko to Vieira a lot of people feared a Cheyrou/Zidane kiss of death. But in this case, the comparison looks valid. I can't believe Rafa has unearthed another gem, but then he knows this particular player well. Sissoko seems perfect for English football.

He appears to have everything Vieira had when he too arrived in England at 20: fierce tackle, pace, stamina, good use of the ball, and even the same physique, gait and running style, with elbows held high and tucked into the chest. What Sissoko doesn't possess is Vieira's latter-years authority, but then no 20-year-old can ever be that commanding.

While I was disappointed to see an improving Biscan depart in the summer, you can see why Rafa felt assured enough to release a player he clearly rated.

Sissoko already looks a better player (certainly in the Premiership, where Igor was never as effective as in Europe), and offers the pace and strength in deep areas to help Xabi Alonso while simultaneously allowing Gerrard to get forward at will –– and as we've seen so far, with seven goals, three assists in midweek, and a glut of near-misses yesterday, Gerrard is our most potent attacking player.

Of course, only time will tell with Sissoko. But better a bright start replete with potential than a sluggish one. I can't think of many better league debuts from overseas imports in the heart of the midfield battle.

Also impressive was Pepe Reina: one poor attempt at dealing with a corner (he'll need to get adjust to being blocked off), but two of the best punched clearances I've ever seen.

A promising start all-round, and some signs of progress, but at this stage they obviously remain signs, and not conclusive proof.

©Paul Tomkins 2005

To buy "Golden Past, Red Future" for £9.99, visit www.paultomkins.com

« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 03:06:41 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline calleythered

• no identity anymore...just Archies dad
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • not quite a purple bin, more maroon like....
Re: Progress at Boro
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 01:25:28 pm »
hear,hear.

Ahter reading some of the comments this morning, you'd think we'd lost the league, people spouting on about being two points adrift of the leading pack!!!

unbelieavble!. As ive posted on another thread this was a very promising productive performance with more positives than negatives.

My only concern is the much mooted 'natural goalscorer' and if owen comes,

the rest should be afraid...be very afraid.
we aplogise for our temporary dip in success however we are pleased to announce that normal service has been resumed.

Offline kop1311

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 01:27:33 pm »
Another good piece by Mr T. Just also like to say how i have enjoyed the book so far (havent finished yet due to time constraints and xbox!) Only thing i will disagree with was about being disappointed to see Biscan leave. personnaly i dont think he was anywhere near good enough for LFC but thats for another thread.
The past is just the future with the lights on

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 01:27:55 pm »
Agree Paul. For me, with all the moany c*nts on this board, they just cant realise how good we were yesterday in terms of controlling the game.

I hate this match. Fucking hate going there as in general we get fuck all from the game. But, for ninety minutes we controlled it. Except for the cherry on the cake, we did everything spot on, in my eyes. How many times did we go away from home last season and control a game for ninety minutes?

For me, yes it was two points lost, but hey some days, you just dont take your chances. But, at least we made them which is more than we did a lot last season away from home.

Liked Momo, there is the midfield battler. SG was impressive, performs a role that not many other midfielders in the Prem do and he will get a fair share of goals this season.

Dissapointment for me. Our lack of width, but we dont have any wingers so what do you expect. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

For me, a fully professional performance which on another day, we would have won two nil. Now, how many times have we been able to say that when leaving the Riverside before.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 01:30:07 pm »

Sissoko seems perfect for English football.

He has everything Vieira had when he too arrived in England at 20...

paging Mr. Jonah... :P

all this on the basis of a couple of Euro qualies and one game at Boro?

almost everyone seems thrilled with Momo's performances thus far, but let's give the lad a little time to develop, and play through a winter holidays program(me) before we start comparing him to Patrique...

;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 01:49:28 pm »
IMO yesterday's performance at Boro was progress. We kept a clean sheet, picked up a point and played them off the park during the 2nd half. The performances of Gerrard and Sissoko were excellent.

Offline themule

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 01:51:55 pm »
Nail. Head. Hit

I think everyone is looking primarily for an improvement in last years league performance, whilst only expecting us to close the gap on chelsea (presuming they win the league). Not only did yesterday show an improvement in perfromance, giving us hope for the season ahea, but it also proved to be an extra point gained from last year.

Can we see Chelsea bettering their league form last year? I doubt it. teams will be a lot more organised and wont underestimate chelsea, as i believe mancs and arsenal did last year. So the gap shouldnt grow any bigger, providing we dont have a worse season than last.

37 points adrift last year, and we've gained one of those back yesterday.

Now, 36 more to go....

Offline IanfromUSA

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 01:52:08 pm »
 Good post as always Paul. We completely controlled the game against quality prem opposition, just failing to score on mutiple chances. I,ll take that level all season and think we will win almost evey one of em. Also had a clean sheet, compare our goals against last year and that is where we fell short of the top 3 clubs, keep that up and I belive we can contend.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 01:52:45 pm »

almost everyone seems thrilled with Momo's performances thus far, but let's give the lad a little time to develop, and play through a winter holidays program(me) before we start comparing him to Patrique...

;)

Couldn't agree more, whilst there's been some unnecessary critisism of LG there's also been some OTT praise of Sissoko. Yes he looks promising, yes he played well yesterday, however he's played one premiership match. Diouf had a great league debut as well. He looks like he's got a bit of a temper on him which will need to be kept in check. Verdict, promising, but way too early to be hailing him as Viera-esque in terms of performance.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 01:53:26 pm »

;)

Fair point, Bill: but given that the usual challenge for imports is to innure themselves to the physical side of the English game, wouldn't you agree he has settled to the task admirably?
Clear progress yesterday, and it's a shame it needs saying in a way. I'd have taken the point at 5.14pm: disappointment is merely a mark of how well we dominated a side which have often beaten us on their patch, and which came so close to beating us at home last time.

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 01:56:17 pm »
Agree with Raptor and afc turkish...lets not get too carried away with Sissoko but he did have a good debut. Although with re: tempor, he wasnt kicking out at Parlour, he was kicking the air more in frustration which to me is a good thing as it shows he is passionate and wants to succeed. A bit like Cisse.

Coming back to the original question, I would say that it was a point won with re: to last season BUT it feels weird in the sense we had enough chances to win it and therefore feels like two points dropped. However, the result does show progress which is encouraging.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 02:02:03 pm »
So it's okay for Rafa to say Sissoko can be better than Vieira, but not me?!  ;D

Sure, it's early days. I should perhaps include the rider, but was merely saying that he *appears* to have everything Vieira had at 20. Vieira at 20 was not the same as Vieira at 23/24. Of course I'm only going on a few games - but that's all we've seen. Or can't we analyse the players until next May? :P

The lad can tackle, pass and covers ground like an Etheopian long-distance runner. Given his age, it was a fantastic Premiership debut, following on from a couple of impressive European games.

As for Diouf, he did well at Villa on his debut - I was there, and he looked a decent player. But he never came close to scoring, and that was his job. Sissoko did his job brilliantly yesterday.

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 02:03:37 pm »
For sure, its progress.

Perhaps the biggest change from last season is that Middlesboro, hardly a poor team showed us as much respect (and indeed fear) as they did at home by playing ultra defensively.  They will not be the only team that does this.  All but the top three; Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU and misguidedly, the "best team on Merseyside" (who incidentally are back below us and that is where they will remain for the next 10 years again) will show us this repsect.

This makes it much easier for us to at worst obtain draws where we lost last year and I am sure on 9 days out of 10, we would have converted one of the many excellent chances we had and taken all three points.  This will be the norm going forwards this season.

Sissoko to me oozes class.  Maybe we should be cautionary and not compare him to Viera yet but he is certainly no Diouf.  Sissoko cut his teeth in La Liga after all so already has more pedigree than the spitting one. I will stick my neck out and predict that his impact this season will be the same as Alonso last season.
Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 02:03:59 pm »
Disappointed with not getting the full points but pleased with was on show. Keeping it tight in the first half, upping the ante in the second - we're definitely in control. Have we progressed? Certainly and we will get better ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 02:07:48 pm »
Added this to the piece, as I felt it needed it following suggestions:

"Of course, only time will tell with Sissoko. But better a bright start replete with potential than a sluggish one. I can't think of many better league debuts from overseas imports in the heart of the midfield battle."

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 02:12:57 pm »
Of course, only time will tell with Sissoko. But better a bright start replete with potential than a sluggish one. I can't think of many better league debuts from overseas imports in the heart of the midfield battle."

I agree, and its not as if he was playing against a promoted team with players new to the premiership either, he was up against a solid Boro team with Boateng & Parlour both of whom have masses of experience.
Massively impressed with the lad so far, hope he can improve further, if he does he will turn out to be a "steal".

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 02:16:06 pm »
Surely one game is far too little to say whether we have made progress or not? From a statistical perspective, those claiming the result shows progress are they going to say we have regressed if we lose a game we won last season?

The brutal reality is that despite bossing the game for long periods, we again failed to finish off the opposition. Indeed we could have lost it had one or two of the oppos taken the few chances we limited them to. Then what?

Im not being the prophet of doom (although some will take great pleasue in suggesting it) but lets keep a little perspective on the result.

We got 1 point where last season we got none, positive. We kept a clean sheet where last season we didn't, positive. We didn't score where last season we didn't, negative. We bossed the game where last season we did the same thing (at other grounds) but didnt collect 3 points, negative.

When we start turning the possesion and performance into goals and wins, then we can confidently say we are making real progress. Here's to more 3 points.
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 02:22:08 pm »
Surely one game is far too little to say whether we have made progress or not? From a statistical perspective, those claiming the result shows progress are they going to say we have regressed if we lose a game we won last season?

It was more the way in which we approached the game, how tight we kept it before upping the tempo in the 2nd half; and also a sign of progress was how Boro treated us. They showed us far more respect than they did 9 months ago.

I am judging this one a game-by-game basis. That was one game, and the signs after five games might be different. But we've played one game, got a better result than last season, and played better than in most away games last season - and that was my overriding sense.

I didn't see much evidence of this kind of solidity away from home last season, and that's encouraging.

Im not being the prophet of doom

No, you're a proper Charlie Chuckles :)

Offline Thomas_A

• Anny Roader
  • The Redmen.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 02:34:10 pm »
We also look like we can battle alot more with sides like Blackburn and the shite. Momo has added alot to our midfield and you would struggle to find a better midfield 3 in the prem.
A Liverbird upon my chest.........

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 02:41:31 pm »
I like to see it as 1 point gained and improved. We didnt concede and never really looked like conceding and could have won it a number of times. If we can turn those losses last season into draws and wins, and keep our home form top notch then we would move closer to the top and thats what we're basically looking for this season.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 02:45:56 pm »
Sissoko does look like a steal .... and all the better considering who we "stole" him from :-)

as said ... if we turn the eleven defeats away into draws then thats 11 extra points .... to take the point a bit further if we can convert last seasons draws into wins then we're contenders ... point gained I'd say but then I'm a glass half full sort of person anyway :-)
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2005, 02:48:21 pm »
Fair point, Bill: but given that the usual challenge for imports is to innure themselves to the physical side of the English game, wouldn't you agree he has settled to the task admirably?

or bustled after it with what looks to be typical energy, anyway...

So it's okay for Rafa to say Sissoko can be better than Vieira, but not me?!  ;D

a wise man once told me that if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question...  ;D

i'm as excited about Sissoko's "possibilities" as anyone, he looks very good value. 

by way of balance against some of the over-the-top praise for Momo in these forums, although not in this particular article...

his passing, particularly in the first half against Boro, was not impressive.  could be any number of explanations, the simplest of which is probably that it was his first EPL match...

of course, he was bought for his energy and mobility, and his passing did improve as the match progressed.  i was very impressed with the second-half, shoulder-dip that lost the Boro defender (Southgate?) at the edge of the area.

the shot into row z left much to be desired, but still...

Momo looked lost positionally, but then, i thought all of Gerrard, Xabi, and Momo looked a little lost yesterday at times.  we were clearly playing 4-5-1, but the manner of the system was unclear.

couldn't tell whether it was meant to be 4-2-3-1 or straight 4-5-1, for there were several times that it looked as though Gerrad, Alonso, and Momo were strung out in a line across the pitch in between Luis and Bolo.

at times in the first half, it looked like Momo was playing in the hole, but surely that should be Stevie G.  except that, as we all well know by now, Rafa likes to be flexible.

i would not be at all surprised for him to ask his central midfielders to alternate roles during a match.  and that may be why we didn't get Nando the support he needed often enough.  if Rafa is asking Stevie G and Momo to switch positions during the match, that will take some time to develop.

all of which has wandered a bit from the subject of Momo, who looked like a bundle of very important Premiership qualities.

i still stand by the belief that it is impossible to evaluate a player in the EPL until that player has gone through a British Winter.  there is simply no other footballing experience like it, the standard of play is higher than any of the other "Northern European" countries except perhaps Germany which runs close, but they have a break in the Winter where the EPL does not.

until we see how Momo comes through that sort of schedule, and how he makes what will be necessary adaptations to his game, he remains a player with lots of possibilities who had a good match at Boro.

in three or four years time, if he is laying waste to great sweeps of opposition midfields with scything slide tackles, and powering through to score crucial goals, i'll happily pen an article about how i (you) knew it all along...

Offline redginge

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2005, 02:51:35 pm »
If everyone takes a step back for one moment and reflect on the point that we have improved as already we are feeling disappointed with an away draw at boro, last year we would of took that. Although boro didn't play well they are a solid team that will push for europe and if we can keep up the same level of performance away from home and with Crouch as a lone striker when needed then we should pick up plenty more points away from home this season.

Offline karlos79

• Boys Pen
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2005, 02:53:04 pm »
Sissoko is an animal, needs to improve his distribution, but that will come in due time.......the way he tackles and fights for the ball lifts the players.........that was what Diao was supposed to do......

Offline jbdbreds

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 02:56:16 pm »
Hear Hear.  Red future indeed.  I wrote in another post that without the new right winger we're all waiting for, we are contenders for 3rd or maybe 2nd, since the away performance we put in yesterday wins 9 out of 10 times.  I am curious to see what Rafa does when Kewell gets back.  With Zenden and Riise more than capable on the left, I wonder if he might try Harry on the right?  Or with Finnan showing that he can shut the likes of Downing out of the game entirely, wonder what young Barragan would look like as a winger?  What a shame we have to wait an entire week before the next match.  When they look like they did yesterday, I find myself wishing we could play every day!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 02:57:30 pm »
As you said Paul, the trick is to continue playing like this away from home, and taking 3 points rather than just the 1 when we come up against this next time.

The odd draw is fine, but we have to be winning these type of games, esp against teams who are not as good as Boro

before yday I thought our target for the first 3 games should be 7 points, so therefore 6 points from the next two are a must
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2005, 03:01:35 pm »
Bill - I think Sissoko is both tough and athletic, so I'm not too fearful of the English winter.

I also think he'll get plenty of rest as Rafa shuffles his pack, so I don't see burn-out of fatigue. But as he's only 20, he won't be pushed too hard, anyway.

I think flair players tend to disappear on heavier pitches in colder weather, but Sissoko is as tough as teak.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2005, 03:02:48 pm »
Also, let's not forget that he played a fair few games when Valencia won the league, aged just 18.

Ordinary players don't do that.

Offline Al Bol

• Ugly Bastard. Brother of Spag.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2005, 03:07:26 pm »
We have now kept as many clean sheets away from home as we did in the whole of last season.  That has to be a positive surely?

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2005, 03:10:01 pm »
Also added the concluding line, as I'd forgotten to sum up after the Reina comment:

"A promising start all-round, and some signs of progress, but at this stage they remain signs, and not conclusive proof."

For all the promising signs, I'll gladly accept that it's not conclusive proof.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2005, 03:35:05 pm »
We have now kept as many clean sheets away from home as we did in the whole of last season.  That has to be a positive surely?

Well, if you put it like that...  ;D

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2005, 03:40:02 pm »
Well said Paul good to hear someone talk positively about yesterday, i was the only one of me mates comin away from the Riverside half happy! Incidentally tho, we actually won up there in 01/02, Riise with the winner

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2005, 03:51:26 pm »
Also impressive was Pepe Reina: one poor attempt at dealing with a corner (he'll need to get adjust to being blocked off), but two of the best punched clearances I've ever seen.

A promising start all-round, and some signs of progress, but at this stage they obviously remain signs, and not conclusive proof.

©Paul Tomkins 2005

To buy "Golden Past, Red Future" for £9.99, visit www.paultomkins.com

Paul, you forgot to mention (I am assuming you must have noticed) that Pepe is a very good distributor of the ball.  There were two occasions when he threw/released the ball very quickly (with his hand) to a perfectly placed player and the whole thing turned into a counter attack.  I remember both actions ending in the 'Boro box.  I also remember someone who went to the Wrexham game mentioning it, but I saw it first hand (well on the box) on Saturday. I believe Rudolf and Brucie could do this to perfection back in the day.

As for Mohammed, he is a great player in the making.   I liked how he played it simple very often in the first half. Instead of doing anything fancy, he just found the nearest player with a 'one touch' pass.  Of course, some of these passes were too soft and gave the purported receiver some problems.  A few were lost like that. It is when he tried some fancy passes (on the volley, trying to flick the ball), that the intended passes went awry.  Physically, he is perfect, except I would personally have him muscle the top part of his body.  And yes, at 20, there is a lot to come from him, and he is a marked improvement from Diao.

Garcia messed up a few times yesterday.  Overall, a great performance. (Carra brought me 14 points in my fantasy team - when did that last happen? ;D )

Offline Emperor

• Legacy Fan
  • Rise.... Lord Vader......
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2005, 03:53:45 pm »
Even though we drew, I thought it was a fucking brilliant performance by the lads and the best game of posession football Ive seen in a while.

Add a top quality winger and Cisse to that team and we've got total domination.

Sissoko, Gerrard, Alonso in the centre. Zenden on the left, Govou or Malbranque on the right and Cisse up front.
"From here, you will witness the final destruction of the alliance, and the end of your insignificant rebellion" - Emperor Palpatine

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2005, 03:55:16 pm »

That's shocking!  I guess all in all a step forward...

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2005, 04:00:31 pm »
Let's not forget that we were sharper yesterday because of our pre-season programme, so maybe yesterday's good performance has to be expected. I think that's why people think it's two points dropped. If you add in the misses, you can see why some cannot think any differently other than that.

However, I would say it's a combination of the work the players and the manager have done on their tactics, the crowded midfield, the willingness to be more aggressive, together with the added match-fitness, that had us playing well. I dare say the match fitness had a big factor, and no doubt it's disappointing that two points are dropped.

Signs are good and now we have to beat Sunderland.
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2005, 04:09:22 pm »
Bill - I think Sissoko is both tough and athletic, so I'm not too fearful of the English winter.

I also think he'll get plenty of rest as Rafa shuffles his pack, so I don't see burn-out of fatigue. But as he's only 20, he won't be pushed too hard, anyway.

I think flair players tend to disappear on heavier pitches in colder weather, but Sissoko is as tough as teak.

all fair points with which i won't contend...

is there a Brit equivalent to the expression, "I'm from Missouri?"

Offline Emperor

• Legacy Fan
  • Rise.... Lord Vader......
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2005, 04:12:55 pm »
We should beat Sunderland. Especially if we play a 4-4-2.
"From here, you will witness the final destruction of the alliance, and the end of your insignificant rebellion" - Emperor Palpatine

Offline DrBob

• Kemlynite
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2005, 04:13:58 pm »
A great post, Paul! I can't agree more. If we play the same way as the 2nd half consistently, we'll win a lot of away games. On Sissoko, his play in the 2nd half was fabulous. His tackle and skill, combining with his size and pace, was the key for us to dominate the match. I have full confidence on this guy because Rafa signed him twice, and spent enough time to monitor him at Valencia. So Sissoko's signing is not a risk at all. The only issue is how long he'll take to become a player as goog as or even better than Vieira. Now he seems to have made a good start.

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2005, 04:22:54 pm »
Thought it was a great start with enough chances to have gained all 3 points. The fact that a team with the calibre of Hasselbank & Viduka had very few chances at home against our defence bodes well.

Warnock also did reasonably well, marking Mendieta (former £16m man) for much of the game.

Luis was..well like Luis.....this was one of his away games where he gave the ball away too much. Although after they went down to 10 men, it would have suited him more to wriggle his way through.

This was a typical game where someone like Crouch was bought for and you can what Rafa is thinking about.

Good progress though....no worries.
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020