Author Topic: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips  (Read 459293 times)

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2006, 02:55:16 pm »
Most gutting thing I've ever experienced yesterday. Me and a few lads are playing a bit of low stakes poker in a free period in college and we come to the last hand before lunch. I get dealth Q,4 off suited and one of the lads raises £2 all in. I consider it for a bit, I was a few quid up and it was the last hand but in the end I folded, thought he must have something big to bet that (considering raises are usually 10/20p). Anyway, flop comes down, Q,4,4. Screw the poker face, I nearly cried. Turn comes over, you guessed it, a 4. At this point I left the room, only being told later that a pair of 6s won the £12 pot. Gutting.

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2006, 03:10:27 pm »
Most gutting thing I've ever experienced yesterday. Me and a few lads are playing a bit of low stakes poker in a free period in college and we come to the last hand before lunch. I get dealth Q,4 off suited and one of the lads raises £2 all in. I consider it for a bit, I was a few quid up and it was the last hand but in the end I folded, thought he must have something big to bet that (considering raises are usually 10/20p). Anyway, flop comes down, Q,4,4. Screw the poker face, I nearly cried. Turn comes over, you guessed it, a 4. At this point I left the room, only being told later that a pair of 6s won the £12 pot. Gutting.

The lesson is play Q4 off always, especially when playing me.

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2006, 04:11:13 pm »

How did that pot end up with £12 in it?? And won with a pair of 6s?? At some point someone must have been bluffing someone else off the hand, and they kept buying it when they were bluffing themselves? I'd love to play with you an your mates sometime ;D

And yes, as Fiend says, the lesson when playing me is to always go all in with Q4o. Can't possibly fail! ;D;D;D
Momo Is Boss

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2006, 04:12:34 pm »

;D ;D

I can imagine that, you don't actually have a poker face ;)

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2006, 09:20:08 pm »
sunday 10pm
all in with yer Q4o
fuk me why cant we get players like that ?
that said played in a low stakes rebuy tourney, 99 raise to 700 (blinds 100, with 4 limpers am on button) get six fukin callers. end of it everyone ends up all in
99 me
K10o
35o
A26 flop
J turn
4 river
all the soft twats kept saying is value.
1400 chips gone
how the fuk can yer play that.

thinking about it now. its the opposite of normal raises. usually yer might get one caller with nowt, assuming everyone has big face cards, but not fukin 6.
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2006, 01:10:05 am »
Right someone help me out here.

As far as I know, right, the chances of getting A K unsuited are EXACTLY THE SAME as getting 7 2 unsuited.

So why when playing online do i get loads and loads of 7 2 o's than i do A K o's? (Ok this isnt funny, while writing this post ive got another one! SCAM!)

Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2006, 01:27:19 am »
At least you don't lose money with 72, you can lose a lot with AK.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2006, 01:28:51 am »
At least you don't lose money with 72, you can lose a lot with AK.

Is right. Would much rather have an easy decision to fold than a tricky decision to play. Slightly off topic I've been playing 7 card stud hi/lo the last couple of days. Very interesting it is too.

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2006, 01:34:46 am »
Is right. Would much rather have an easy decision to fold than a tricky decision to play. Slightly off topic I've been playing 7 card stud hi/lo the last couple of days. Very interesting it is too.

I like omaha hi/lo. Its a nice break from hold 'em which can get very monotonous.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2006, 01:37:19 am »
never played either, except for once when i accidentally entered an omaha high/low game instead of an NL hold em game. very confusing - 4 cards each, points for low as well as high hands -scary stuff
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2006, 01:47:33 am »
never played either, except for once when i accidentally entered an omaha high/low game instead of an NL hold em game. very confusing - 4 cards each, points for low as well as high hands -scary stuff

Ha! There's always one or two lost hold 'em players in every tourney.
Lambs to the slaughter... :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 01:49:16 am by Fiend »

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2006, 01:55:25 am »
Ha! There's always one or two lost hold 'em players in every tourney.
Lambs to the slaughter... :)

i didnt do bad actually! cos it was low stakes i was happy to just lose and go out, so i kept shoving chips in an people kept folding. i was doing ok until... er... well something happened anyway, not sure what, but i didnt have any chips left after!
Momo Is Boss

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »
finished 5th in a 207 seat tourney last night. Fairly pleased with my performance!

Right heres another little brain picker: ive read about something called a 'power check'. That is when the blinds are still low, your first to act, there can be just one or maybe two or three players left in.

The idea of a power check is instead of checking round you just make a minimum bet. 30 chips out of a stack of 2000 isn't going to hurt you. You make this bet regardless of what your holding and whats on the table.

The bet is too small to be a continuation bet, and its also not a probe bet designed to get a feel for the table. its designed simply to thin the field or just take down the pot at minimum expense.

Pros: You dont end up giving out free cards and getting beaten by drawing hands, and for a minimum risk you can take down a lot of pots cheaply.

Cons: You're always giving pot odds to the players after you. Chances are those pot odds will be enough to justify calling even an inside straight draw, so these hands might still not go away.

Any thoughts on this? I have seen them used to good effect quite a lot recently, and have found myself folding to a minimum bet which could well have been a 'power check'. They can be especially useful when against a big blind who checked to see a flop, and who could be holding any two cards.
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2006, 01:52:56 pm »
min bets are only used in micro stakes or free games. They basically scream 'I have a weak hand'. Whenever I see some one doing it I always note that they are a weak player.

If you have a good hand then it gives everyone pot odds to call. If you have a bad hand it says I am weak but dont want to check so I'll just put in a useless bet.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2006, 01:57:07 pm »
Another poker tip from the world of Lo, is not to let your boyfriend drop the laptop, if laptop works poker can be played, if laptop doesn't work poker cannot be played  :wave

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #175 on: June 30, 2006, 02:25:23 pm »
only problem with that strategy is that its giving your opponent extra cards to beat you with. if i come up with AA or KK im always happy to win the pot before the flop and just take the blinds. if it gets to the flop and there is no straight or flush on the table, i'll put in a big bet to try and win the pot there without offering drawing hands the odds they need to call.

AA and KK are nightmare hands to have at any rate. I've seen a lot of players going all in against 2 or 3 other hands and getting walloped. Id much sooner sit with AKs than I would AA or KK
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 30, 2006, 02:35:48 pm »
If someone min bets to you, call it down and find out what he was doing it with. Generally its with middle or bottom pair or maybe a draw. Its (nearly) free information. Next time you'll know how to push him off it.

Its really poor play and I wouldnt advise getting into the habit of it if you want to play at higher stakes sometime in the future. You'll get slaughtered at higher levels.

Part of the whole thing in early stages is to radiate - Iam a strong player - dont fuck with me. Min bets are immediately noticed by others as just a weak play and will make you are target in the future.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #177 on: June 30, 2006, 02:40:00 pm »
i called it down before an the bloke had middle pair of sevens. didnt do his image any good id imagine.

then a few hands later he took all my chips cos im a stupid nobhed. i was on the big blind and got A5o in my hand, the flop comes up 5 5 K. So theres me chuckling to myself, and I decide to slow play it being the nobhed that I am. Another king comes up and I think thats boss, i've hit my full house. Only it didn't occur to me, for some reason known only to my moronic mind on a friday afternoon, that all someone would need to beat me would be a king. lost all my chips and went away absolutly kicking myself.

they say you don't make the same mistake twice - i hope thats true! cant believe what a thick as pigshit play it was from me
Momo Is Boss

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2006, 02:47:04 pm »
we're defo gonna have to have a RAWK poker night at some point somewhere. either a field trip to Leo for a tournament or round to *someones* house for an evening. if we got ten of us thatd be sound, set up a playstation with pro evo on as well for when people get knocked out, ten pound entry, top 3 places paid... be a boss night that.
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2006, 03:04:36 pm »
Well next time I'm in Liverpool I'll bring a few mates around - The Irish mob (if you will). I'm a really shit player live though. Tend to get very pissed; wouldn't dream of playing drunk online.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2006, 03:05:13 pm »
I'm a really shit player live though. Tend to get very pissed; wouldn't dream of playing drunk online.

I see i see.... shall we make that £20 each a game then? ;D
Momo Is Boss

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2006, 03:13:27 pm »

£10 rebuy. I guarantee I'd rebuy about 4 times before I call it quits muttering about bad calls and pot odds :)

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2006, 03:16:22 pm »
hes allowed to get pissed. he gets that touch of luck yer need.
regarding the power check. i actually like it now and again after the flop with a monster and a few people in when yer in early position. yer always find someone with half a hand will raise it, and before they do yer have a couple of calles to build the pot.

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2006, 03:19:16 pm »
anyone wanna help me here ?
last night 5 times (friendly £10 game between 5) i had people all in (or mysen) when they were drawing to a flush. every single bastard hit. what are the odds on that ?

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2006, 03:22:14 pm »
anyone wanna help me here ?
last night 5 times (friendly £10 game between 5) i had people all in (or mysen) when they were drawing to a flush. every single bastard hit. what are the odds on that ?

2/1 on flop 4/1 on turn

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2006, 03:27:04 pm »
errrrm drawing after the flop? well say you've got 4 hearts already and you need the 5th. there are 9 left in a deck of 49 cards, and 2 more cards will be drawn. Its very roughly 2.7-1 odds (49/9 = 5.44, 5.4/2 = 2.7)

And then I guess you'd accumulate that 5 times would you? No can't be, thats be like 140-1, cant be that long. Can it?

See this is why you should all be desperate to play poker with me - my maths is shocking
Momo Is Boss

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2006, 03:38:54 pm »
2/1 on flop 4/1 on turn
knew that bit. but 5 fukin times, they say it evens itsen out, but fuk me its been very uneven for a while now. keep running into big blinds with big pocket pairs, when ive got decent pocket pairs. used to play stud poker years ago, but this game yer seem to get yer chips or cash in, with the best hand and then get fuked over. for yer lot that play at a decent level, whats the fukin answer to this ?
do yer go away and read a bit more (now read harrington and most of sklansky) or just have a break or change the game type ? online am fukin sick of seeing 3/4/5 players with pocket pairs.

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2006, 03:39:51 pm »
basically its 1.9/1 if you FLOP a flush draw - therefore calling a half pot bet is ok but problem is you are probably facing another bet on the turn which wrecks your odds. There are implied odds if you hit - ie. Can you make more money off him when it hits.

This is if only playing against 1 player. If playing against more than 1 and you can be reasonably sure some of the others will call then its a definite call.

It's 4.2 - 1 to call if you have a flush draw on the TURN. If pot is 1000 and some one bets 300. then total pot is 1300 and 300 to call is right odds + plus you have implied odds if you hit

I'm terrible at explaining these things - best to google it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 04:45:18 pm by Fiend »

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2006, 03:48:09 pm »
understand that part the odds and pot odds, am just fukin sick of people making bad calls. on another occasion yesterday, 8 players i have JJ am big blind with 6 callers, (100/200 chips STT) i have 3000 chips so raise to 1600. all fold bar one that re raises all in for another 400. (his bet was 2200 in total) on yer fukin backs. K5o what the fuk kind of call is that ? for the 400 he cant make me put it down and he must know hes behind. guess yer know the rest, FH, fuk me.

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2006, 04:00:38 pm »

do yer go away and read a bit more (now read harrington and most of sklansky) or just have a break or change the game type ? online am fukin sick of seeing 3/4/5 players with pocket pairs.

If you play the hand right then dont worry about it. Its variance. Taking a break of 2 weeks can be great especially if all the beats are affecting your play. You come back refreshed

You get less people in the pot at higher levels buts thats because there is much less limping. You get less free cards and more half pot/ full pot raises/re raises.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2006, 04:02:30 pm »
After drawing the flop, the 'deck' should now only be 47 cards? (52-hole(2) - flop(3) )

Don't forget the probability of someone hitting their flush having hit it once already is EXACTLY the same as hitting it the first time. (ie. still quite unlikely)

P
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2006, 04:13:07 pm »
K5o what the fuk kind of call is that ? for the 400 he cant make me put it down and he must know hes behind. guess yer know the rest, FH, fuk me.

You just have to learn how to forget about it. I used to get really frustrated when this happened but now I just shrug and smile and start again. You played the hand well and got jammed by a retard. The reason you play the game is coz of these retards

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2006, 04:30:28 pm »
do know what yer saying like. its just for the last 5/6 weeks am seeing this so much. maybe yer right but only about 5% of the time am i getting me chips/cash in behind. but am losing. might try yer game on sunday, if i whinge enough about bad luck, maybe the poker gods will reward me. will play sunday but after that i might have a short while off as yer suggest.

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2006, 04:48:58 pm »
Good! We could use the players...

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2006, 06:47:06 pm »
The reason you play the game is coz of these retards

Such a reassuring  line that!

K5o what the fuk kind of call is that ? for the 400 he cant make me put it down and he must know hes behind. guess yer know the rest, FH, fuk me.

same thing just happened to me. one twat at the table has been raising all in over and over and chasing everyone away. i got dealt KQs in middle position. table folded to me so i put in a raise of 3 times the blind. this twat comes piling in after me, all in. if it was anyone else id have probably let my hand go; chances are theres an ace in his hand which makes him favorite, and he could even already have his hand made with a pair. not to mention i didnt want to expose my chips to a coin flip.

but this prat must have raised all in 7 hands of the last 10, and no-one had called. there was no way he was getting hands that often, and he was probably full of confidence of taking my bet off the table. so i called.

he turned over 94o, and caught a 9 on the turn.

youve just got to shrug your shoulders, tell yourself that person isnt exactly gonna make thousands playing the game, and like fiend says, just be grateful there are players like him in the game because its their chips you take.
Momo Is Boss

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2006, 07:01:07 pm »
Was playing pub game again.

Just won bout 8 grand in chip when get dealt 4,3 off suit.

Fuck this i thought i wanna sort my chips and I folded. Fucker beside me all in A,K.

Beside him all in pocket 10s. Across from him all in pocket Jacks.

Flop 5,2,A. Turn A. River 7.

Absolutely fucking gutted. Couldn't believe these assholes had gone in about 2,500 each and numbnuts here could have taken out all 3.

Of course the ball bag with the 3 of a kind A wins the thing out 800 quid.

Makes you hate poker sometimes.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Fiend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2006, 07:11:18 pm »
Was playing pub game again.

Just won bout 8 grand in chip when get dealt 4,3 off suit.

Fuck this i thought i wanna sort my chips and I folded. Fucker beside me all in A,K.

Beside him all in pocket 10s. Across from him all in pocket Jacks.

Flop 5,2,A. Turn A. River 7.

Absolutely fucking gutted. Couldn't believe these assholes had gone in about 2,500 each and numbnuts here could have taken out all 3.

Of course the ball bag with the 3 of a kind A wins the thing out 800 quid.

Makes you hate poker sometimes.

That kind of stuff is just ridiculous to think about. When you throw away garbage just forget about it. I try to not even think what I had. Even if you called and faced a raise allin and then reraise allin and then another would you have called? I think you would have happily folded knowing 2 people were probably going out. No point going mad about random chance

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2006, 07:11:30 pm »
we're defo gonna have to have a RAWK poker night at some point somewhere. either a field trip to Leo for a tournament or round to *someones* house for an evening. if we got ten of us thatd be sound, set up a playstation with pro evo on as well for when people get knocked out, ten pound entry, top 3 places paid... be a boss night that.

Bindun....and shall be done again. Will let you know but I believe Hightown has one planned in the not too distance future.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2006, 07:27:01 pm »
I did have, probably not any more.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2006, 07:45:30 pm »
That kind of stuff is just ridiculous to think about. When you throw away garbage just forget about it. I try to not even think what I had. Even if you called and faced a raise allin and then reraise allin and then another would you have called? I think you would have happily folded knowing 2 people were probably going out. No point going mad about random chance

But the fact was i had hit 6 straights before that so i should have known that the possiblity of hitting another one would be high.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap