Author Topic: Moneyball, Soccernomics and Liverpool's transfer policy  (Read 78058 times)

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
Re: Moneyball, Soccernomics and Liverpool's transfer policy
« Reply #800 on: March 2, 2012, 03:22:23 pm »
what is his assist and strike rate? did any other club try to bid for him when we came in only at 18m - 22m? did you know even ajax fans admitted his low conversion strike rate? can he dribble like torres? can he strike from anywhere like torres? does he have pace like torres? yes, suarez showed potential and promise in the beginning, but at this stage of the season, the proof is in the pudding.

I.... don't.......    :butt
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

« Reply #801 on: March 2, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »
I hope that FSG invest some of their own money as up till this point, all money that has been spent I think has been the clubs own money.

Think this is just a very lazy statement, when they have already made over 100M available to the manager to recruit players. Yes the money was generated by selling some players which we would have to do anyway if they gave Kenny 100M of their own money to go buy players so it doesn't really matter. Our problem is that our big signings have not delivered bar Suarez to an extent.

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #802 on: March 2, 2012, 03:27:48 pm »

FFS came in here to read something enlightening about our transfer policy and got bogged down with fucking whining about the loss of a 50 million pound striker who has a whopping 2 goals and 3 assists in 21 appearances.

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #803 on: March 2, 2012, 03:33:59 pm »
Think this is just a very lazy statement, when they have already made over 100M available to the manager to recruit players. Yes the money was generated by selling some players which we would have to do anyway if they gave Kenny 100M of their own money to go buy players so it doesn't really matter. Our problem is that our big signings have not delivered bar Suarez to an extent.

I don't dispute in the slightest they made money available. All I said was that they didnt invest any of their own money in players yet, is that really such an outlandish statement?

I'd be willing to bet if I had 10k posts none of you would make issue with it. Ilooked at this forum for a while, and seen many people say the same as I have and none of them have been pulled up.

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #804 on: March 2, 2012, 03:35:07 pm »
FFS came in here to read something enlightening about our transfer policy and got bogged down with fucking whining about the loss of a 50 million pound striker who has a whopping 2 goals and 3 assists in 21 appearances.

Remember though, that was 50M worth of entertainment that the fans have lost  :lmao

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #805 on: March 2, 2012, 03:38:56 pm »
I don't dispute in the slightest they made money available. All I said was that they didnt invest any of their own money in players yet, is that really such an outlandish statement?

I'd be willing to bet if I had 10k posts none of you would make issue with it. Ilooked at this forum for a while, and seen many people say the same as I have and none of them have been pulled up.

Don't get all n00b syndrome on us. I didn't even see how many posts you had before I started questioning what you said.

« Reply #806 on: March 2, 2012, 03:39:53 pm »
There was a very good debate about this here.
They probably won't deficit spend, after all they've said so explicitly, but I then really don't see us breaking into top 4 anytime soon.
We had a single major transfer window last summer, the one that should have propelled us forward somewhat and we made a sweet mess out of it wasting at least 30% of those funds on overpaying. After this summer everything will be much clearer and I believe it will leave many feeling a bit depressed.
Yeah think we really messed up in the summer but we can make up ground, they have increased the clubs revenue with the clubs Warrior deal hopefully that could be an extra quality player. We still have some players who would fetch a decent fee in the market we can afford to let go.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #807 on: March 2, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »
Funny how many people seem to think that the club employs a network of scouts so that we can just go out and blow silly money on whoever is on the cover of the latest edition of Shoot!, FourFourTwo or FIFA.

That's not how this club works. It's not even how Chelsea works, and they don't have to worry about cash. It might be how City has worked for the last year or so, but it probably won't be for long. Only Real Madrid have done this regularly, and it hasn't actually been all that successful for them.

How much did we spend net last summer? £30-40m? Add in a bit more from the Warrior deal, (possibly) lower wage bill, higher ticket prices, a few other deals Ian Ayre's pulled off (tesco was one, sure there were a couple others, nothing as big as the kit deal, but they add up) then take off what we've lost by not being in the Europa this season.

It's unlikely we'll be paying out more than £40m net. That's fine. We can get two world class players for that and a couple of upgrades funded by sales. Same thing next year. And so on. It's about strengthening what we have. Some people here like to have a cry and whinge about last summer's signings, but the club are happy with them. Same people used to moan about Lucas, now moaning that we don't have any backup for him.

People even saying Enrique is shit now.

Have to laugh at them.

Laugh at them.

Laugh at them.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

« Reply #808 on: March 2, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »

So is it your opinion that the 100M spent wasn't enough or that we didn't spend it wisely?

« Reply #809 on: March 2, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »
Funny how many people seem to think that the club employs a network of scouts so that we can just go out and blow silly money on whoever is on the cover of the latest edition of Shoot!, FourFourTwo or FIFA.

That's not how this club works. It's not even how Chelsea works, and they don't have to worry about cash. It might be how City has worked for the last year or so, but it probably won't be for long. Only Real Madrid have done this regularly, and it hasn't actually been all that successful for them.

How much did we spend net last summer? £30-40m? Add in a bit more from the Warrior deal, (possibly) lower wage bill, higher ticket prices, a few other deals Ian Ayre's pulled off (tesco was one, sure there were a couple others, nothing as big as the kit deal, but they add up) then take off what we've lost by not being in the Europa this season.

It's unlikely we'll be paying out more than £40m net. That's fine. We can get two world class players for that and a couple of upgrades funded by sales. Same thing next year. And so on. It's about strengthening what we have. Some people here like to have a cry and whinge about last summer's signings, but the club are happy with them. Same people used to moan about Lucas, now moaning that we don't have any backup for him.

People even saying Enrique is shit now.

Have to laugh at them.

Laugh at them.

Laugh at them.
While most of your post is correct you cannot say last summer signings were value for money. The way we overpaid for players was not just unnecessary but irresponsible and I really believe it has been one of the reasons our big signings haven't performed very well. I bet if we signed Carroll for 10M the press wouldn't have had him under the microscope and he would have not had the big weight on his shoulders.

What's done is done, it wouldn't really be smart to scrap what we did in the summer rather build on it.

If we can afford to spend 30M net next summer we can probably raise 10M from player sales and sign a top winger and a goalscorer then if need be get Keita on a free for 2 years and send Shelvey and maybe Spearing on loan

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: March 2, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »
Strange that, this morning on the radio, Comolli was reported as saying fans shouldn't expect big changes or expenditure this summer.  It's rather at odds with what he said after the Carling Cup Final, that top players are interested in joining us.  Is he simply trying to clarify his previous words to manage our expectations or did he blurt out too much on Sunday and trying to backpeddle?

These days you can't really trust the club to be entirely honest over transfers, which is okay in my book given the way the shit media reports and there are vulture clubs out there ready to pounce and gazump any deal you may be trying to tie up.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: March 2, 2012, 04:06:49 pm »
Strange that, this morning on the radio, Comolli was reported as saying fans shouldn't expect big changes or expenditure this summer.  It's rather at odds with what he said after the Carling Cup Final, that top players are interested in joining us.  Is he simply trying to clarify his previous words to manage our expectations or did he blurt out too much on Sunday and trying to backpeddle?

These days you can't really trust the club to be entirely honest over transfers, which is okay in my book given the way the shit media reports and there are vulture clubs out there ready to pounce and gazump any deal you may be trying to tie up.

It all depends on how the rest of the season pans out i'm sure. Reaching the champions league would provide means (revenue) and opportunity (for players) to test his theory that players all over Europe are watching this project closely.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #812 on: March 2, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »
It might just be selective quoting. On another forum a lad said that Comolli said we're after a couple of quality players this window, instead of 6 or 7 additions.

« Reply #813 on: March 2, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »

First statement: Top players want to come to LFC
Second statement: We will not be spending on so many players only adjustments will be done

Two statements have nothing to do with eachother

Offline dernaroy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #814 on: March 2, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »
the club was a bargain ;) the cost of purchasing it was the practically the cost of clearing the debt

Yeah but there were still only 2 potential buyers - one of which we were lead to believe wasn't desirable anyway. Essentially FSG paid market value for the club.

i admireyour optimism but if you honestly believe we will finish even in the top 6 this year , then you my friend (im at pains to say this ) are deluded.

Offline dernaroy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #815 on: March 2, 2012, 04:17:15 pm »

You have mental problems man.

Financially, at least, Henry/FSG have not put one foot wrong yet.
i admireyour optimism but if you honestly believe we will finish even in the top 6 this year , then you my friend (im at pains to say this ) are deluded.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: March 2, 2012, 04:27:06 pm »
One of those 'top players' may well be Keita, who we could already be talking to as he is in the last 6 months of his contract, and who will have probably had overtures from multiple clubs. So the whole statement from DC could just be that Keita's agent said he thought it was great we had won something and would be in Europe next year.

"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: March 2, 2012, 04:33:22 pm »
Jovanovic is on a permanent deal isn't he - I'd imagine he got a nice golden hand shake to move, hence the reason our 'agent fee's' were so high. I expect Cole will get a similar seven figure golden handhsake which hopefully we can off set with a transfer fee...

Exactly.  This is exactly the kind of transaction that gets tallied up as a "profit" when people are analysing our transfers, and it's so far from the truth it's untrue.

We probably paid Cole and his agent a good 3-4 million as a signing bonus.  Then we paid him 90k per week for a season (4.5 million).  Now we're paying him 60k a week (best guess, according to reports) to play for someone else for a season (another 3 million).  At the end of the season, we'll have him under contract for another two years at that same 4.5 million per year price.  Hopefully, we get lucky and Lille are willing to pay 5 million or so to buy him permanently, and we can offer most of that back to him as a golden handshake to let us out of the 9 million we still owe him on his current contract.  Since he will be getting a new contract with whomever buys him, probably for 2-3 million per year, you'd have to think he would take 3-4 million from us and call it even.

So, in the end, we will have paid out roughly 14.5 million to him, and brought in 5, for a net loss of almost 10 million on a player who only played for us one year, and was rubbish.  A total disaster.  But to the fans who only look at the transfer fees, it will read as a 5 million pound profit - after all, he was free and then we sold him for 5 million!  Hodgson is a genius!
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline socrates the sophist

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #818 on: March 2, 2012, 04:33:46 pm »
One of those 'top players' may well be Keita, who we could already be talking to as he is in the last 6 months of his contract, and who will have probably had overtures from multiple clubs. So the whole statement from DC could just be that Keita's agent said he thought it was great we had won something and would be in Europe next year.

Weren't Liverpool's owners about young talent? what happened? I want to see players that we really need, or talented players. I have been watching documentaries about Shankly and Paisley. I don't recall them ever saying "I'd bet that'd be a good squad player." They just bought the players that they thought took the club to the next level. I want to see the same. I want to see us buying first-team player, with our current first-team players turning into squad players. I don't want us building a team around the players we have now, they are shit!

Offline ReddyMac

• Kopite
  • These eyes seek more glory!!
« Reply #819 on: March 2, 2012, 04:35:35 pm »

Can't believe people are taking his quote literally and even linking players to it. He made a similar statement last year as well before the summer window. Its just sending a message out to potential targets that the 'Liverpool project' is doing well and wining the cup shows just that. Don't look too deep into it.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: March 2, 2012, 04:46:31 pm »
Weren't Liverpool's owners about young talent? what happened? I want to see players that we really need, or talented players. I have been watching documentaries about Shankly and Paisley. I don't recall them ever saying "I'd bet that'd be a good squad player." They just bought the players that they thought took the club to the next level. I want to see the same. I want to see us buying first-team player, with our current first-team players turning into squad players. I don't want us building a team around the players we have now, they are shit!

Well tbf we HAVE brought in a lot of young talent.  Perhaps this summer we may be looking to augment with some tried and tested quality and experience?  If someone's in the last 6 months of their contract and they're rated then I see no harm in having a look.

Also, I don't think our players are shit.  It's just been a case of them learning to step up that extra gear at a club where the expectations are higher.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: March 2, 2012, 04:46:44 pm »
Can't believe people are taking his quote literally and even linking players to it. He made a similar statement last year as well before the summer window. Its just sending a message out to potential targets that the 'Liverpool project' is doing well and wining the cup shows just that. Don't look too deep into it.

I am just pointing out 'top players' doesn't have to mean Hazard for 30 million or whatever, but could just as easily be applied to an out-of-contract guy in his 30s. DC made an almost identical statement after we beat Utd last year and he was probably referring to Enrique or Adam who were probably the only ones we would have had any contact with at that time. But everyone made it out to be Hazard orr Mata or whoever.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: March 2, 2012, 05:02:47 pm »
There was a very good debate about this here.
They probably won't deficit spend, after all they've said so explicitly, but I then really don't see us breaking into top 4 anytime soon.
We had a single major transfer window last summer, the one that should have propelled us forward somewhat and we made a sweet mess out of it wasting at least 30% of those funds on overpaying. After this summer everything will be much clearer and I believe it will leave many feeling a bit depressed.

If you've followed what they've done with the Red Sox then, trust me, nobody will be depressed with FSG

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: March 2, 2012, 05:15:31 pm »
If you've followed what they've done with the Red Sox then, trust me, nobody will be depressed with FSG

It's not about being depressed with FSG, it's about maximising the effect of what money we do have.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: March 2, 2012, 05:20:47 pm »
We don't need last summers overhaul, just 2 or 3 quality players. I think if we signed a really good striker and winger only, most people would be happy.

Offline ArgImAPirate

• Legacy Fan
  • rat a tat tat
« Reply #825 on: March 2, 2012, 05:34:05 pm »

Think you may be doing Keita a bit of a disservice there. He's a good player who's a squad player at a side packed with truly world class talent. But he is an exceptionally well rounded midfielder who has always done a very good job there and earned his transfer there. Right now, I feel like Lucas's absence has created a big void in our midfield. If we can bring in Keita on a free, I'd be very happy. It might be a short term improvement, but we're looking to build our way up rather than buy our way up and if bringing him in means we have more money to spend on quality elsewhere (exceptionally good wingers require clubs pay a premium) it could be a wise move.

It's a risk, definitely, all transfers are. But I wouldn't dismiss a quality player playing at a club filled with world class players on a free transfer at any age. Bellamy has been a great signing.

*edit* Just checked though... and I don't think we'd get him on a free. I think he's contracted until 2014. If we can get him cheaply, though, I think my point still stands. Because it's not an English club, maybe we won't be bent over the barrel for once.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 05:37:36 pm by ArgImAPirate »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #826 on: March 2, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »
We don't need last summers overhaul, just 2 or 3 quality players. I think if we signed a really good striker and winger only, most people would be happy.
Absolutely. People may criticize the new signings, but we have improved our squad dramatically (just look at the bench). We just need those 3 players that will make the difference.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: March 2, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »

Would say we need 4-5 players;

Cover for Lucas - he may not return same player. Even if he does, if he is injured/suspended we have no one to dictate tempo.

A partner for Lucas - Henderson is not ready, Adam not good enough, Gerrard's  better further forward.

A left winger - Downing not good enough, Bellamy's injury record.

Right winger - Henderson not ready, Kuyt not good enough.

Striker - Carroll not good enough

Offline ReddyMac

• Kopite
  • These eyes seek more glory!!
« Reply #828 on: March 2, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »

Cover for Lucas - he may not return same player. Even if he does, if he is injured/suspended we have no one to dictate tempo.

A partner for Lucas - Henderson is not ready, Adam not good enough, Gerrard's  better further forward.

I don't think we will have enough money to buy 4-5 players. 2-3 worldclass players will be perfect as we have enough squad depth.

Anyone sure if Kuyt will be off this summer?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #829 on: March 2, 2012, 06:07:30 pm »
I don't think we will have enough money to buy 4-5 players. 2-3 worldclass players will be perfect as we have enough squad depth.

Anyone sure if Kuyt will be off this summer?
Scott said that a few times for both Maxi and Kuyt, one could have left even in January. It would make sense too as that may fund a purchase of a replacement player. As for the previous post, I think there are many permutations of players, but my priority would be for another volante/DM (Keita would be nice), then a scorer (I'm resisting to say a striker as recent years showed that ours don't score that many goals especially after they dye their hair blond). And we desperately need someone inventive with the ball! We need someone that will link well with Suarez, because our ideas run out 20 yards from goal... And that's been the case for years (bar glimpses from Garcia and Benayoun)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #830 on: March 2, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »
So is it your opinion that the 100M spent wasn't enough or that we didn't spend it wisely?

We didnt spend it wisely. That is only my opinion, no doubt you and other may disagree.

I see player like Cabaye, captain of french champions Lille, going for 4M and Comollli is nowhere to be seen.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: March 2, 2012, 06:20:14 pm »

Damning statement considering we spent 55m on Carroll and Downing.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #832 on: March 2, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »
Absolutely. People may criticize the new signings, but we have improved our squad dramatically (just look at the bench). We just need those 3 players that will make the difference.

This is what I feel, exactly.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: March 2, 2012, 06:22:36 pm »

its funny because in the youth reseves thread there arre cases being made for

Wisdom at CB

Shelvey, suso/adorjan creative mid

to retain Maxi and Kuyts experience at right mid to allow the kids time to come through

keep bellamy and downing left mid to give sterling time to come through

buy an older DM until decisons can be made on spearing /coady

the only real consensus appears to be the need for quality up front
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: March 2, 2012, 06:38:51 pm »
I think it's the first season in a while where there aren't many clear cut candidates to leave. Some are mentioning Kuyt and Maxi, but that's more to do with their age and relative wages rather than their contributions. From the current squad list (excluding those out on loan), I think you'd find it hard to find major flops in the squad right now. The two biggest disappointments imo (Carroll & Downing) have shown that they can contribute positively, and both have improved recently (although still a long way away from reaching the level expected of them).

Last summer we built a solid base for the squad. I think/hope that now is the time we start adding 2/3 quality players each year.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #835 on: March 2, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »
This is a question that I am torn between but would like the opinion of other posters.

Do you think we should sell Andy and replace him with a top quality striker. Keep Andy as a squad  and bring in another young squad  striker, say along the lines of a Luuk De Jong. Or should we just keep and make him our first choice striker for next season.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: March 2, 2012, 07:12:03 pm »
This is a question that I am torn between but would like the opinion of other posters.

Do you think we should sell Andy and replace him with a top quality striker. Keep Andy as a squad  and bring in another young squad  striker, say along the lines of a Luuk De Jong. Or should we just keep and make him our first choice striker for next season.

not sure the finances are favourable to us selling Andy even if we wanted to.

a 5 year contract at 35 mil would presumably be written off 7 million  a year implying we'd have to sell him for about 25m in the summer or lose money on the deal - and we'd need for the buyer to give him the same wage or else we'd  be looking for more again.

One way to disguise that would be to do a player exchange I guess but either way its unlikely.

Think it'll be a year or two before we'd consider it so the lad has time to get his head together and improve. Dont think that should stop us signing another forward though - once we sign another player they get picked on merit.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: March 2, 2012, 07:12:39 pm »
Absolutely. People may criticize the new signings, but we have improved our squad dramatically (just look at the bench). We just need those 3 players that will make the difference...

...in addition to the existing squad, especially as we are back in Europe.But this is the case since the early days of Rafa and probably won´t change this summer as well after Comollis latest statements.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: March 2, 2012, 07:24:08 pm »
While most of your post is correct you cannot say last summer signings were value for money.

I can.

I didn't, as it happens, but I certainly could make the case. Enrique and Bellamy were underpriced. Downing overpriced. Adam and Henderson spot on. We brought in five players for under £50m. Good business when you need to rebuild the squad to the extent that we did. From now on I'd expect us to concentrate on quality over quantity (as Comolli has suggested).

The way we overpaid for players was not just unnecessary but irresponsible and I really believe it has been one of the reasons our big signings haven't performed very well. I bet if we signed Carroll for 10M the press wouldn't have had him under the microscope and he would have not had the big weight on his shoulders.

He wasn't available for £10m. He cost £35m. It's done, move on. If you want the weight off his shoulders, stop going on about his price.

Seems obvious to me, unless I'm missing something?

What's done is done, it wouldn't really be smart to scrap what we did in the summer rather build on it.

If we can afford to spend 30M net next summer we can probably raise 10M from player sales and sign a top winger and a goalscorer then if need be get Keita on a free for 2 years and send Shelvey and maybe Spearing on loan

Why would we send Spearing on loan? He's either good enough to play for us or he can move on for a decent price.
He'll be nearly 25 by the end of next season.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: March 2, 2012, 07:34:37 pm »

So that's one midfielder and a utility forward, then?  ;)
Definitely don't need 2 midfielders. Even you have only described one player there, a partner/cover for Lucas. We're unlikely to play 2 holding players under Kenny and we've got Gerrard/Adam/Shelvey for the AM role plus Henderson/Spearing as general CM/box-to-box players. Adding two more gives us eight players in the middle of the pitch.

Don't need 2 wingers. I'd go for one on the left and let Henderson/Downing play wide right. Or you could get one for the right and play Downing/ Bellamy on the left.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA