Author Topic: Moneyball, Soccernomics and Liverpool's transfer policy  (Read 78056 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Moneyball, Soccernomics and Liverpool's transfer policy
« Reply #760 on: March 2, 2012, 01:52:40 pm »
When did 40m become chicken feed?

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: March 2, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »
Liverpool football club generate alot of money. We now no longer have to spend our profits on interest payments so IMO it should be reinvested. I think that say 40M of the club money could be spent, then 20M from possible player sales, and I hope that FSG invest some of their own money as up till this point, all money that has been spent I think has been the clubs own money.

FSG are not, I REPEAT NOT, going to put any money in to the club.  They are going to spend whatever the club makes to improve the playing staff.  They will not deficit spend but they won't take any money out of the club either.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: March 2, 2012, 02:01:23 pm »
FSG are not, I REPEAT NOT, going to put any money in to the club.  They are going to spend whatever the club makes to improve the playing staff.  They will not deficit spend but they won't take any money out of the club either.

There was a very good debate about this here.
They probably won't deficit spend, after all they've said so explicitly, but I then really don't see us breaking into top 4 anytime soon.
We had a single major transfer window last summer, the one that should have propelled us forward somewhat and we made a sweet mess out of it wasting at least 30% of those funds on overpaying. After this summer everything will be much clearer and I believe it will leave many feeling a bit depressed.

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
« Reply #763 on: March 2, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »
I see it as a case of last summer being used to improve the squad. This summer being used to improve the first team.

Maybe 80M was a bit overshot, yes, but if we are to get into a position to challenge for titles, like FSG said the aim is, then we will have to either spend on proven quality, or find absolute gems in the market.
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: March 2, 2012, 02:11:27 pm »
I think, as usual, we are ignoring wages in this whole discussion, which seems to be much more important to our owners.  Granted, it's only half the financial picture in terms of a player's cost, but on internet forums and in the media you generally only see people concerned with the fee paid, and almost no mention of the wages.

If we're sticking strictly to fees paid, then I think we'll see relatively big money splashed on a new right winger/wing forward to play opposite Downing.  Someone with pace, probably under the age of 23.  Then perhaps a DM, and perhaps another option at striker.  Honestly, I'm not sure we need much more than that.  We have some really good players in the reserves who are getting close to the first team.  Assuming the big money Kuyt replacement is going to cost 25 million, that would mean probably another 10 million on the DM and perhaps the same on a striker.  Total of 45 million spent, and honestly, I'm not even sure we'll be spending that amount.  Talk of 80 million is utter nonsense.

More important to the owners will be getting players like Aquilani and Cole off the books for good, and whatever part of their wages we're still paying.  If we can free up some wage money it will make a big difference in the quality of players we'll be in for in the summer.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 02:12:58 pm by Kochevnik »
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #765 on: March 2, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »
Anyone who thinks we can't get into the top 4 next season without spending shit loads is wrong. Look at Spurs and even Newcastle! I mean that £35m we gave then has been spent so well they are now above us! Just goes to show however much money we have £30m, £40m £50m doesn't really matter, we need to buy the right players, and not players like last summer, I don't think we should sell anyone we brought in last summer but bar enrique they will hopefully all be on the bench at the start of next season.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: March 2, 2012, 02:18:57 pm »
If we signed Javi Martinez & Loic Remy I'd be over the moon and I reckon we could do that with a net spend of around 30m.

Aquilani - 5m
Kuyt - 5m
Spearing - 5m

Martinez - 23m
Remy - 23m

That'd be enough for me to be very happy.
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
  • Being a reds fan is like match day, everyday.
« Reply #767 on: March 2, 2012, 02:20:14 pm »
There was a very good debate about this here.
They probably won't deficit spend, after all they've said so explicitly, but I then really don't see us breaking into top 4 anytime soon.
We had a single major transfer window last summer, the one that should have propelled us forward somewhat and we made a sweet mess out of it wasting at least 30% of those funds on overpaying. After this summer everything will be much clearer and I believe it will leave many feeling a bit depressed.

agree. simple analogy. spend peanuts (with ratio to the top team) you get monkeys. theres no such thing as 5th best spenders.

more worryingly is up till today they haven't gone out to get a star attacking player be it a winger AM or striker. NOT EVEN ONE. The model of getting left overs from city or chelsea doesnt bring in confidence. ie clichy - enrique, young - downing. In fact they are a step down in quality in terms of attribute. Its strange that we settled for lower quality and the press insinuate that we wanted the first choice. I mean can't we go for lavazzi or hazard if we lost out on ashley young, or any other available standards. If this is the way we go then, surely its about budget more than opportunity to buy quality players when available. I think that is the crux of the fear. 

All I can is to those pro FSG model who support this model of "sustainability". Yes we can definitely float above mid table. not only because of FSG but also our high value squad has already been in place before these americans came in. yes we have dud player but they are not long term cancers.

To me its simple. if we dont bring in enough top quality players we will never win. Time will tell. At the moment, the attacking midfield players aren't good enough or there are too little to play well together as the average ones like downing, adam and henderson are screwing up the better technical players like suarez and carroll. I dont care if torres was a good deal because we didnt replace the pre injury torres. liverpool always have that world class quality striker. where is the money to replace him. 50m downgrade to 35m doesnt seem to be what they preach.
If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Offline joe ®

• Anny Roader
« Reply #768 on: March 2, 2012, 02:28:53 pm »

more worryingly is up till today they haven't gone out to get a star attacking player be it a winger AM or striker. NOT EVEN ONE.

Luis Suarez?

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #769 on: March 2, 2012, 02:29:16 pm »
If we signed Javi Martinez & Loic Remy I'd be over the moon and I reckon we could do that with a net spend of around 30m.

Aquilani - 5m
Kuyt - 5m
Spearing - 5m

Martinez - 23m????????
Remy - 23m

Is remy that good? I haven't seen much of him but I'd prefer someone like abel hernandez simply down to the fact hes in his last year of his contract, so cheaper and would no doubt link up well with luis. would love a Uruguayan front 3 of ramirez suarez and Cavani ;) I mean hernandez

Plus he'd fit into the moneyball approach of having a good sell on value
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 02:32:19 pm by Quintet »

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: March 2, 2012, 02:31:32 pm »

Aquilani - 5m
Kuyt - 5m
Spearing - 5m

Martinez - 23m
Remy - 23m

Spearing 5m? Martinez 23m?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #771 on: March 2, 2012, 02:34:28 pm »
Oh, so its against forum rules is it to respond to a post if it isnt directly specifically at you ?

Maybe you need to take the stick out your arse mate if you find terms like pal and lad offensive.

I cant be arsed arguing over such a pointless topic, if you take offensive at someone calling you lad, then thats your problem.

I didn't say it was offensive - I said you were being condescending.  In fact, when I responded to you in the same tone you replied to me, you told me I was being arrogant and condescending.

Funny that.

And of course it isn't against forum rules - but if you misunderstand a reply to another post and then spout nonsense, you're bound to get pulled up on it.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #772 on: March 2, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »
to add, the first year with FSG feel good factor was there and we as fans had renewed hope and I and many I believe supported the club through spending LOTS on merchandise and .TV subscription (being OOT fan). And how were we being repaid? carroll for torres?!

But if they think they can sustain that profit margin on the second year they are in for a surprise. I am unhappy that one the torres world class type of striker wasn't replaced. We dont care the behind the scenes drama and for all we know could be fabricated by the club itself to protect their image. what we care is if the quality has been improved or at least maintained. and what we see is regression.

I can bet you if FSG buy only what comes in the coffers this summer, they can expect lesser profits from us as naturally fans wouldnt be happy to psend more until they owner spend theirs first. its only right. I have totally stop spending on the club. hows that for moneyball?

If you judge people for what they are not who they are, you will make genuine friends rather than friends of circumstance.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: March 2, 2012, 02:36:54 pm »
I'd love to know what our balance sheet looks like in relation to the FFP rules, incorporating wages (including those paid to players no longer playing here), fees, revenue.

Also, regarding money that the owners might pump in above what we earn as revenue, am I right in thinking it has to be as a share issue?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #774 on: March 2, 2012, 02:37:56 pm »
to add, the first year with FSG feel good factor was there and we as fans had renewed hope and I and many I believe supported the club through spending LOTS on merchandise and .TV subscription (being OOT fan). And how were we being repaid? carroll for torres?!

The fact is they spent the money that was received plus more. They didn't pocket the £50m. If you have issues with who it was spent on then take it up with Kenny/Comolli.

But if they think they can sustain that profit margin on the second year they are in for a surprise.

What profit margin? Again, we spent more than we received.

I am unhappy that one the torres world class type of striker wasn't replaced. We dont care the behind the scenes drama and for all we know could be fabricated by the club itself to protect their image. what we care is if the quality has been improved or at least maintained. and what we see is regression.

I can bet you if FSG buy only what comes in the coffers this summer, they can expect lesser profits from us as naturally fans wouldnt be happy to psend more until they owner spend theirs first. its only right. I have totally stop spending on the club. hows that for moneyball?

How is it for not having too much of a clue?!

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #775 on: March 2, 2012, 02:38:50 pm »
More important to the owners will be getting players like Aquilani and Cole off the books for good, and whatever part of their wages we're still paying.  If we can free up some wage money it will make a big difference in the quality of players we'll be in for in the summer.

Indeed.  Letting Cole go for free and Aquilani on the cheap does save money in the long run.  If you stick out for £18m for Aquilani and nobody buys, you're still paying hefty wages, then he ends up going for £4m when his contract winds down and you've paid his full wages for the whole of his contract.  A hit (however big) on the transfer fee can reduce the long term burden and free up funds for other signings / wages.

I think people forget that it isn't just transfer fees that free up cash - if you get a few big hitters off the books, you could easily be saving a few million a month.
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #776 on: March 2, 2012, 02:40:49 pm »
Luis Suarez?

what is his assist and strike rate? did any other club try to bid for him when we came in only at 18m - 22m? did you know even ajax fans admitted his low conversion strike rate? can he dribble like torres? can he strike from anywhere like torres? does he have pace like torres? yes, suarez showed potential and promise in the beginning, but at this stage of the season, the proof is in the pudding.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #777 on: March 2, 2012, 02:41:25 pm »
what is his assist and strike rate? did any other club try to bid for him when we came in only at 18m - 22m? did you know even ajax fans admitted his low conversion strike rate? can he dribble like torres? can he strike from anywhere like torres? does he have pace like torres? yes, suarez showed potential and promise in the beginning, but at this stage of the season, the proof is in the pudding.

FPMSL.

Are you Torres' agent?

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #778 on: March 2, 2012, 02:43:47 pm »
The fact is they spent the money that was received plus more. They didn't pocket the £50m. If you have issues with who it was spent on then take it up with Kenny/Comolli.

What profit margin? Again, we spent more than we received.

How is it for not having too much of a clue?!

wow. lets make this very simple. are you happy with the quality of the squad compared to the teams above us? Its really that easy to know what will be the end game of this club.

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #779 on: March 2, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »
We already know whats going to happen in the summer though don't we.

Cavani will come out and say he wants to listen to what LFC have to say and that hes very interested. Next minute we shit ourselves and get all shy and instead go and sign bent and sinclair for the same price. We then go onto justify this by saying unlike other targets these are prem proven and will take no time to settle. They will then go on to show this with proof from season by showing how downing was a much better buy than mata. ::)

Only messing of course but It won't be far off. But hopefully we've learnt our lesson, everyone makes mistakes.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: March 2, 2012, 02:44:01 pm »
Indeed.  Letting Cole go for free and Aquilani on the cheap does save money in the long run.  If you stick out for £18m for Aquilani and nobody buys, you're still paying hefty wages, then he ends up going for £4m when his contract winds down and you've paid his full wages for the whole of his contract.  A hit (however big) on the transfer fee can reduce the long term burden and free up funds for other signings / wages.

I think people forget that it isn't just transfer fees that free up cash - if you get a few big hitters off the books, you could easily be saving a few million a month.

That's the price of having them available for selection. If you want their wages off the books, the accompanying price for that is the player will then be unavailable for selection. Or do you expect them to play for free?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: March 2, 2012, 02:45:57 pm »

Luis Suarez has scored 10 goals and 7 assists in 24 games this season. Hardly disastrous

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #782 on: March 2, 2012, 02:47:16 pm »
FPMSL.

Are you Torres' agent?

no. I am a football fan. I appreciate the skilll and ability of great players and I dont indulge in rumours, gossip and drama. What I dislike is buying overpriced average wingers and young potentials so as to save on salaries and said we spent 100m!!

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #783 on: March 2, 2012, 02:47:19 pm »

Dear John W. Henry,

I am writing to you because it has come to my attention that there's a bleak financial future on the horizon.  I realise that the win at Wembley will have brought in significant funds in merchandising, and you must have thought it will have bouyed the mood of the fans, but I have grave news indeed.

Whilst reading the ever popular RAWK forum, it has come to my attention that a member called Dmode101 has stopped spending his money on the club.  I realise this will come as a massive shock, and you may want to call an extraordinary board meeting in order to deal with this crisis head on.

His demands are simple; he wants a big name striker, and he wants them now.  I understand that the transfer window is closed, but you need to find an out-of-contract top name striker who would be willing to sign RIGHT NOW or you'll lose his financial input to the club forever.

I know that your financial background will stand you in good stead to make the right decisions.

Yours faithfully,

Rox
(Rawk Member for far too long)

p.s. Give the wife a kiss from me.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: March 2, 2012, 02:50:29 pm »

the problem  being , who wants to pay their wages?

someone like cole will never be sold until someone (or we, most likely) match his wages at his new club (what is it ? 3 and a half years and counting on 5m a year?).

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #785 on: March 2, 2012, 02:50:59 pm »
wow. lets make this very simple. are you happy with the quality of the squad compared to the teams above us? Its really that easy to know what will be the end game of this club.

Lets make it simple.

£100m HAS been spent. A lot has been recouped through sales. Am I happy the club is being run in a very sensible financial manner - yes. Am I happy with all the players who the club decided to buy - no.

So FSG has provided the money. Kenny/Comolli decided where to spend it.

And stop harping on about Torres. He was crap for a long time before he left us. And has been crap since. Getting £50m for him was some of the best business this club has ever done.

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #786 on: March 2, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
Luis Suarez has scored 10 goals and 7 assists in 24 games this season. Hardly disastrous

compared to the torres that scored what, 33 in his first season? The 50m rated striker? FIFTY MILLION worth of ability and entertainment taken away from the fans. And saying that newcastle pegged the fee was genius and we all know carroll wasnt worth that much. poor carroll having to be caught in this crap arrangement!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #787 on: March 2, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »
compared to the torres that scored what, 33 in his first season? The 50m rated striker? FIFTY MILLION worth of ability and entertainment taken away from the fans. And saying that newcastle pegged the fee was genius and we all know carroll wasnt worth that much. poor carroll having to be caught in this crap arrangement!

Why not compare him to Pele next why don't we?!

Lets go off this last season - who would you rather have in the side?

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #788 on: March 2, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »
Dear John W. Henry,

I am writing to you because it has come to my attention that there's a bleak financial future on the horizon.  I realise that the win at Wembley will have brought in significant funds in merchandising, and you must have thought it will have bouyed the mood of the fans, but I have grave news indeed.

Whilst reading the ever popular RAWK forum, it has come to my attention that a member called Dmode101 has stopped spending his money on the club.  I realise this will come as a massive shock, and you may want to call an extraordinary board meeting in order to deal with this crisis head on.

His demands are simple; he wants a big name striker, and he wants them now.  I understand that the transfer window is closed, but you need to find an out-of-contract top name striker who would be willing to sign RIGHT NOW or you'll lose his financial input to the club forever.

I know that your financial background will stand you in good stead to make the right decisions.

Yours faithfully,

Rox
(Rawk Member for far too long)

p.s. Give the wife a kiss from me.

I like your moustache.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: March 2, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »
Lets make it simple.

£100m HAS been spent. A lot has been recouped through sales. Am I happy the club is being run in a very sensible financial manner - yes. Am I happy with all the players who the club decided to buy - no.

And stop harping on about Torres. He was crap for a long time before he left us. And has been crap since. Getting £50m for him was some of the best business this club has ever done.

agree almost entirely with your post - the americans have done what was needed: got rid of the debt and allowed the management team to spend the whole of a bumper (never to be repeated) pot of money on players they want...

i tink however that 'good business' depends on both sides of the transaction. The buying part is certainly not proven to be good business, not so far at least...

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #790 on: March 2, 2012, 02:55:03 pm »
Lets make it simple.

Is it better to be us right now or Arsenal?  They have the cash, but seem institutionally incapable of spending it.

the problem  being , who wants to pay their wages?

someone like cole will never be sold until someone (or we, most likely) match his wages at his new club (what is it ? 3 and a half years and counting on 5m a year?).

*sigh*  I know.  But if he's free, someone might take a gamble.  Can't he hitch a ride with Samba off to Russia?

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: March 2, 2012, 02:57:00 pm »
Is it better to be us right now or Arsenal?  They have the cash, but seem institutionally incapable of spending it.

*sigh*  I know.  But if he's free, someone might take a gamble.  Can't he hitch a ride with Samba off to Russia?

maybe, but we're talking an investment of 15m for anyone taking on that 'free' transfer..  :butt

he's 30 now...

Offline Dmode101

• Kopite
« Reply #792 on: March 2, 2012, 02:58:05 pm »
Why not compare him to Pele next why don't we?!

Lets go off this last season - who would you rather have in the side?

hulk, lavazzi, or cavani.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: March 2, 2012, 02:58:19 pm »
maybe, but we're talking an investment of 15m for anyone taking on that 'free' transfer..  :butt

he's 30 now...

Agreed, i think the only solution is to take him outside and shoot him.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: March 2, 2012, 02:59:39 pm »
Cole has 2 years left at the end of the season.

I'd be interested to know what arrangements we made to shift the likes of Jovanovic, Poulsen, Degen, because I can't imagine Anderlecht and Evian are paying all their wages, and Degen was released.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: March 2, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »
Agreed, i think the only solution is to take him outside and shoot him.

we've done the footballing equivalent, be sending him off to france  ;D

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: March 2, 2012, 03:06:52 pm »
Cole has 2 years left at the end of the season.

I'd be interested to know what arrangements we made to shift the likes of Jovanovic, Poulsen, Degen, because I can't imagine Anderlecht and Evian are paying all their wages, and Degen was released.
Jovanovic is on a permanent deal isn't he - I'd imagine he got a nice golden hand shake to move, hence the reason our 'agent fee's' were so high. I expect Cole will get a similar seven figure golden handhsake which hopefully we can off set with a transfer fee...

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: March 2, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »
Luis Suarez star of the World Cup, Copa America player of the tournament. The Luis Suarez nominated for the Ballon D'or. The one who won player of the month for us probably 3 or 4 months in a row.

Are people Is someone seriously bitching about signing him?

edited as pointed out below
« Last Edit: March 2, 2012, 03:13:15 pm by DanA »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #798 on: March 2, 2012, 03:11:07 pm »
Luis Suarez star of the World Cup, Copa America player of the tournament. The Luis Suarez nominated for the Ballon D'or. The one who won player of the week for us probably 3 or 4 months in a row.

Are people seriously bitching about signing him?

people or person...

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #799 on: March 2, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »
They paid down our debt didn't they? That's a hell of a start a new stadium would be the 2nd thing I'd love. Not really looking for money blown on players
the club was a bargain ;) the cost of purchasing it was the practically the cost of clearing the debt
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England