Author Topic: Bridging the Gap to a Structured Playmaking Style  (Read 64621 times)

royhendo

Bridging the Gap to a Structured Playmaking Style
« on: June 1, 2012, 12:57:27 pm »
It's been a long time (just shy of four years) since a few of us kicked off a massive discussion on football management best practice, hidden away on the RAWK Opinion board. With a demonstrably cerebral manager in place, and a team building process that was in clear transition to a more imposing brand of football, there was plenty to discuss.

So it's interesting four years on to find ourselves in a similar position. Not everybody would agree, but I personally believe the squad is very strong and well balanced. A couple of tweaks, and some coaching nous, and we'll be having a whole different brand of conversation again, won't we?

So here goes - let's have that kind of conversation, and as we go, let's challenge each other to explain our thinking and tell our fellow supporters why we believe whatever we believe about the club, its management, its players, scouting - whatever else impacts on performance overall.

---NOTE---

Brendan Rodgers is now the manager of Liverpool Football Club. Let's not use this thread to mourn the loss of managers past - we have plenty of scope to do that elsewhere - let's stick to our progress from this point on - the team building, club integrating process.

----------

Where we are in May 2012

The club has hired a manager whose preferred approach to the game is broadly as follows.

• Keeper as an 11th outfield player
  • All players with playmaking responsibilities
  • Centre halves who can advance with and recycle ball
  • Wing backs with energy and discipline
  • Spine in 'echelon' - movement to guarantee passing triangles
  • Arguably a shift from a '3 bands' formation to an '8 Zone' approach
  • Defensive midfielder - playmaker, circulator, destroyer
  • 2 advanced midfielders - energy, linking, support for front three, pressing
  • Inside forwards - pace, crossing, goalscoring, energy, directness, pressing
  • Striker - reference point, goalscorer, bringing support runners into play
  • A belief in 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'
  • A preference for multifunctional players, as a means to add flexibility, cut squad numbers, and get more from resources.

Collectively, the manager favours possession as means of control. He talks about 'resting with the ball', the value of possession for possession's sake to build confidence and tempo, and to tire the opposing side, and to grow into games as a prerequisite for dominant football.

It's here that his Swansea side has been talked down in some quarters. Unlike Barca, Swansea didn't use possession to relentlessly dominate - to pin sides into their defensive third. They lacked the quality to do that, but boasted enough commitment to exert it as far as was practical with the players at their disposal. As a result, their possession stats for the season were just shy of Manchester City's, while their goals scored tally was far less impressive.

To bring it back to good old Rinus Michels, the reason is simple - this type of football is "sensitive to quality".

The first question is whether the current playing staff fits his way of playing the game.

• Keeper? A resounding yes.
  • Centre halves? Yup - but one who doesn't, and who is something of a 'sacred cow'.
  • Wing backs? Yup, albeit one who needs clear tactical parameters for his game.
  • Defensive midfielder? One perfect candidate, but We could use another like him.
  • 2 advanced midfielders? For me, yes - we have several players who are capable of that kind of game, but the more quality we can boast here the better.
  • Inside forwards - there's great debate here, but with the right coaching, for me we have very good players here, and others on the cusp of breaking through.
  • Striker? Again, there's plenty of debate on this one. Can the wee fella muster enough discipline? Can the big fella play enough football? Can others deputise effectively?

Long-Term Progress and the 'Methodological Beating'

Mourinho, arguably the biggest direct influence on Rodgers in his career to date, talks of the value of a 'methodological beating' in engendering lasting long-term improvement in a club's fortunes, as opposed to the short-term benefits an unthinking change of manager can bring - the 'psychological beating'.

"[T]he methodological beating... produces long-lasting effects because it brings about structural changes... changes in the work philosophy and the model of play".

Rodgers has of course seen and digested the Mourinho 'bible' during his time at Chelsea, and was responsible for implementing its ways with their youth players. He was one of the people putting the rubber to the road in that context. So there's a starting point. It means little in itself, but what you can maybe infer is that his 'methodology' will have seeped in a little, and it's arguably the case that his Swansea side bore this out.

Some snippets I personally feel are borne out in Swansea's football. Relevant to the 'advanced midfielders', Mourinho says a player in that area "must display a high tactical level in order to be a link between the defence and attack, but not the defence and attack of the opponent". They mustn't lose the ball, or collectively empty their area of the pitch. I think that role's going to be crucial, and the big challenge in getting the most out of Gerrard in particular. This mode of football insists on players who can coordinate the link between midfield and attack.

Swansea was Different, Rodgers stays the same

Football at a newly promoted Swansea City is different to football at Liverpool. Whether it's reasonable or not, Liverpool fans expect their team to impose their game, and to win games more often than not. At Swansea, while the collective solidarity was impressive in their group, there wasn't the pressure to dominate week in and week out.

Again, the key points.

• No hiding place for Liverpool players - they need mental strength
  • But... in the Rodgers mode of football, the system is the star
  • In that context, Rodgers takes responsibility for errors, insisting that it's his coaching and expression of the system that's at fault when things go wrong - that provides a 'comfort blanket' that arguably many of Liverpool's players could benefit from
  • Rodgers is couthie by nature - over time that will set exactly the right tone at the club
  • Whether reasonable or not, Liverpool will be expected to be competitive in multiple competitions
  • With the intensity of the mode of football, Rodgers will need to rotate players
  • The 'decision point' - when the ball is won - this needs a paragraph or three on its own.

When the mode of football insists on winning the ball back as quickly as possible whenever it's lost, and when it's won, having the player with the ball make a pivotal decision: "is it 'on'?", it's here that the whole thing becomes sensitive to quality.

At that stage, does it look likely we'll open the other side up? If it does, then 'GO!' and do it calmly and quickly. If it doesn't, keep the ball, rest, and work to tire them and draw them out of their shape.

With the greatest of respect to Swansea, it's here that things will differ most over time at Liverpool (albeit the same transition would have been likely had he stayed at Swansea). If you're making that pivotal decision each time you win the ball at Swansea, and the players ahead of you are a little more limited, your game will lack penetration, because time and again you'll make the other choice - to rest with the ball. But if you're doing it at Liverpool, and Luis Suarez or someone of that quality is ahead of you, there's maybe more chance of it being 'on'. There's scope for your game to be a little more direct and penetrative. It's here that the whole thing is most sensitive to quality.

Potential Benefits of Devotion to this System

The system espoused by Brendan Rodgers and others of his ilk introduces a little more 'fungibility' into the mix. Things are far less reliant on key men - the Xabi Alonsos, or the Lucas Leivas - because the actual structure of the play - the way it ensures passing options and triangles, the encouragement of possession for possession's sake... it makes it easier to do all of the following.

• recruit new players
  • establish a clear coaching syllabus and scouting criteria
  • establish a clear and measurable internal notion of 'value'
  • replace individuals game-to-game and season-to-season
  • align the Academy to Reserve to First Team pipeline
  • improve decision making
  • engender confidence and belief...

...and so forth.

The club, if it's going to be competitive long-term, must find a way to get the best use of its resources (while hoping those ahead of it fail to do the same). That means savvy in the transfer market, as much parsimony as it can muster in contract negotiations, and investment of resources and prominence to youth development - somewhere we've made massive strides in recent years.

Rodgers gives us a great deal of that for free, I'd argue. You can only hope the shift to a bigger club sees him continue in that vein. But he does seem to have a clear eye for players who can make his system more effective, and often for peanuts.

Why FSG must help Rodgers assert genuine authority

Growth takes time, and usually involves growing pains of some description. If the club is to have the chance of becoming what it really could be, then reasonableness and patience are going to be needed in abundance. With that in mind, I'd personally hope the structure put in place engenders the kind of support, patience, and commitment to the long-term plan that an aspiring dynastic architect such as a Brendan Rodgers will need to work effectively. Undermine that in any way, be it via PR gaffes, legalistic oversights, giving players too much power, or just plain remoteness, and you put the whole thing in jeopardy.

If we're being asked to forget what's gone on before and move on from a new 'year zero', then here's what I think we demand in return. The manager must be allowed to assert his authority, and if there are going to be limits to its expression, be they structural, personnel, or budgetary - whatever their source, you must communicate with him clearly and let him know where he stands at all times.

Do that, and we might just re-establish some stability. Don't, and we'll be another controversial incident away from resetting the year clock.

royhendo

Re: Bridging the Gap to a Structured Playmaking Style
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2012, 12:58:46 pm »
Right then - over to you lot. How do you think it's going to work. The assumption is that he has the talent; but what would be the best way to implement his approach? Please wax lyrical.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2012, 01:00:22 pm »
I will be really interesting to see how long it takes Bren to implement his ideas. Swansea already have the building blocks in place so that made his job easier and it took Barca the better part of seven years to get the type of football they are playing now and that is with a trio of the best players in world football.
Bottom line is we have to be patient, high impact possession football can't be implemented over night.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »
It's great to have such a clear vision for the club.

Fantastically well described Royston.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2012, 01:07:01 pm »
Wonder how Andy Carroll will fit into all of this. He is under rated with the ball at his feet, but he does look awkward at times when in possession.

•A belief in 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'

This stood out for me.

Feel the younger players in Suso, Teixeira (or Texeira; got confused January, still confused now... the one from Sporting) and Sterling will feature 5-10 games next season and will shine under Rodgers. Whilst Kenny was a great man manager, he was under a lot of pressure and restricted (not sure if thats the right word atm, but I'll go with it) the younger players stepping up at times by playing the players he and Commolli brought in.   
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2012, 01:08:39 pm »
I think it was really telling in his interview that he alluded to the fact that although he wants to play his way, he might have to at times use a style to fit the current playing staff, until he has enough of his own players who can fit this style. I think that is simply part of his pragmatic approach, but it's clear he wants to be playing his brand of football and that it won't happen overnight. I completely agree with your final point Roy about Rodgers  been given backing. If there are players in the current squad (and we already know at least one high-profile local one) who presumably won't be able to fit into this system, I think he (Rodgers) has to be given support and backing to implement his ideas, even if it means either sidelining or selling players who don't fit into that vision. If Rodgers decrees it to be so, players are going to have buy into the approach whether they like it or not. Should Rodgers play his approach from the beginning of pre-season, I still think it might take until March until it becomes evident on a regular basis.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »
he should absolutely love agger and the way he fits into his preferred style of play coming out from the back.

we'd definitely need to sign a playmaker though that everything goes through. i don't see gerrard or lucas as this type of player.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 1, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »
A question about inside forwards, who have to occupy wide areas when needed but who also have to crowd the middle. If you don't have a perfect candidate, but have to make do with converts, what works better, wingers converted into strikers or strikers converted into wingers? Assume that both have passable technique.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #8 on: June 1, 2012, 01:17:29 pm »
I think the system being the "star" is absolutely crucial to player rotation, you'd be just plugging in a fresher cog.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 1, 2012, 01:18:43 pm »
too much change required for a playmaking side.

the repercusions could be huge also.

no top 4 this coming season and we would have been 4 years out of the champions league.

the first priority is to get back in there to make sure we keep as many of our good players.

then we start a new way.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #10 on: June 1, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »
One thing i'd like to mention that probably won't get commented on very much but I think is crucial is the psychological aspect of the game. In my view any style of football can only be implemeted once teh character of the players (and therefore the team) has been addressed.

Firstly, Rodgers football will be a big advantage to the likes of Downing, Henderson and Carroll who will have very specific and detailed plans of where to run and how to play drilled into them which will be a massive boost to their game as they have the physicality needed to succeed.

Secondly, regarding the team as a whole, part of the reason the club falls short time and again is beacuse we are simultaneously bundled with the weight of our history of being the most successful club in Englans and only resources to allow us to compete with the top six. Making the football and the style of how we play the main focus massively reduces the pressure on individual players to perform.

Thirdly, if his brand of football will succeed anywhere it will be with us. It takes courage to play the way he advocates - especially in England - and not only do we have a history based on pass and move but also an educated following who will give the manager time even if the philosophy takes a while to implement.

I agree with the player assessments given by RoyHendo above. For me, Carra has to go and Stevie G wil lneed to change his game or go back to the positions Rafa played him in to accomodate him.

Finally, the style of play must be the answer to Luis Suarez's dreams. Hopefully now we can wave goodbye to the days of seeing him isolated with three men to beat before even getting a shot off. Now we migh actually be able to deliver the ball to him with only a defender or keeper to beat. If he can finish with us like he does for Uruguay he can be in the bracket of players just below Messi and Ronaldo in teh european game.

i think PhaseOfPlay gives an excellent analysis in the Zone 14 thread about why Kenny's approach failed and why we can have some hope for the new system we are implementing.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #11 on: June 1, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »
All the big guns with their harvard style posts are on march now...

Good post, but aside of quoting individual sentances and picking on points made, only to be lost in a whirlwind of similar replies; or just replying "Good Post"; there really isn't much else for me to reply with, aside of.

We just need an upgraded playmaker.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2012, 01:21:21 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #12 on: June 1, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »
Level 3 thread from the ashes.

What I am concerned about is the reaction to his preferred style by some. I've seen posters on here deride both Barcelona, and possession football on the whole. To me, that is ridiculous. Love the ball and love the game.

There will be teething issues on the playing side. However, this is the owners man. If a player doesn't fit, he doesn't fit, and I expect a few to be moved on this Summer.

A central midfield acquisition will be key, as teams often let us have the ball at the back. What will be intriguing to see is how high up the field we retain and recycle the ball, as that is what tires opponents and makes space. Quality in midfield wins football matches.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 1, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »
Firstly, excellent analysis from Roy my boy as always - top stuff.

too much change required for a playmaking side.

the repercusions could be huge also.

no top 4 this coming season and we would have been 4 years out of the champions league.

the first priority is to get back in there to make sure we keep as many of our good players.

then we start a new way.

On this. I couldn't disagree anymore. You live and die by your philosophies, regardless of circumstances. You implement your strategies from day one and have the group buy into them. If we don't believe in short-term success using it, we'll never achieve long-term success with it.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 1, 2012, 01:29:45 pm »
It will be interesting to see whether Rodgers tries to change everything or goes for incremental change.  Defensively we have players that can play this system.  We need someone else who can do the defensive midfielder role as well as Lucas.  There might be some doubt about the suitability of attacking midfielders as Shelvey and Henderson need to step it up a bit (but potentially they can).  The atttacking area is the most difficult.  Carroll isn't really a pass and move type striker.  Maybe he becomes an impact sub to change the game when its not working.  Suarez can do the inside forward thing, maybe Bellamy too or even Maxi and Sterling.  For me we need one defensive midfielder, one inside forward and a more suitable striker.  Players who might not be suited to this system include Carra, Adam, Downing & Kuyt.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 1, 2012, 01:30:25 pm »
Right then - over to you lot. How do you think it's going to work. The assumption is that he has the talent; but what would be the best way to implement his approach? Please wax lyrical.

There's a lot of technical detail in that analysis and I think the most crucial part of Rodgers' job is communicating his thoughts and system to the players. I liked your article Stupid Football a lot and my initial impression is that Rodgers will represent a middle ground between the styles we saw under Kenny and Rafa. Without wanting to debate the validity of that, I feel that if this is the case then it's an interesting solution to the conundrum of what to do with this group of players.
Clearly there are those who require more direction than others who can 'play their natural game' as some commentators love to enthuse. What I will be most interested to see is how Rodgers directs the players at the club who may not be the most confident in their decision making.
It's unfortunate that he comes when we have the European Championships, the South American World Cup qualifiers as well as the Olympics to disrupt the season. One small blessing is not being forced to endure the charade of the Community Shield, a game that means nothing yet any number of conclusions would be attempted to be reached.

I've seen mention of potential promotions to Sterling and Suso given the new manager's emphasis on technique and guile. I'd be curious to see how he assesses Conor Coady over the summer, because I think in the 8 zone set up you've described, he would be a good long term candidate to deputise for Lucas. Whenever I've seen him for the reserves, he's been a calm head in the middle and attempts to dictate the tempo in front of the defence, while having the ability to push forward as well. Maybe those like Juan Loco who've watched the reserves regularly can step in and give their more considered insight.

We certainly do have a lot of players already that would complement the sort of tactical set up laid out in that article. I don't think Carragher should be a problem any more - he's 34 and even in a deep defensive line he showed signs of struggling. If he wants to continue his career regularly then it shouldn't be with us. I know you highlighted Kelly as a candidate for the right wing back role but I think it's time to start considering him as a centre back (replacing Carragher) and giving more responsibility to Flanagan. He may have struggled last season against Blackburn but overall he's been quite promising and I think he's at the right stage to be Johnson's understudy. A four of Skrtel, Agger, Coates and Kelly would be a fine collection of centre backs all of whom are comfortable on the ball and in the air.

Rodgers' appointment may also partially solve the midfield issues that seemed to be the source of our poor form last year. If Lucas comes back with less pace following his injury then this proposed set up may mitigate that, particularly if Henderson is relied upon to be a more important member of the first team. I'm not entirely sure what it means for Gerrard and Adam with respect to their injuries, maybe they would both be rotated to lessen the impact on their bodies. I guess I'd expect there to be some activity in the transfer window to bolster the middle - I wonder how Rodgers will assess the likes of Shelvey and Spearing.

Hopefully this'll see the making of Downing. Having a real role on the right might give him the chance to shine, especially since his technique is fine.
With Suarez and Bellamy to take some of the heat off and Carroll playing himself into form last year, I guess the biggest questions surround the likes of Dirk and Maxi - do they still want to leave or will Rodgers decide to let them go regardless?

At the risk of bringing up old arguments, the prospective returns of Cole and Aquilani pose yet more questions. Cole will be trying to impress his third manager in two years in a multitude of systems. Will his technique mitigate his fitness issues? As for the Italian, he doesn't seem to be wanted anywhere really. I saw a place for him in Kenny's system but if Rodgers plans to fully utilise his current blueprint then I struggle to see a place in a midfield that needs to be mobile and pressing regularly. Transfer wise it's difficult to see us getting anything out of his departure, so obvious that we're desperate to get him off the wage bill if he's not playing.

Overall, there's more to be optimistic about than not. The problems are issues that Rodgers would've been excited to take on and easy for him to only have to tweak the squad rather than face another revamp. I don't think he will have issues stamping his authority on the squad, more imprinting his style swiftly. Luckily the key roles in that set up would be filled by players with the tactical awareness and mentality to take to it quickly. If we can keep everyone fit and sharp then hopefully the transition won't be painful.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 1, 2012, 01:35:11 pm »

On this. I couldn't disagree anymore. You live and die by your philosophies, regardless of circumstances. You implement your strategies from day one and have the group buy into them. If we don't believe in short-term success using it, we'll never achieve long-term success with it.

Arguably Villas Boas tried to change Chelsea too quickly so G1 has a point, but I think as Roy suggested, we are probably a better fit for Rodgers methods than the existing Chelsea squad were for Villas Boas'.

I guess one of the first tests for a new boss is how well he identifies this as there's clearly no point in playing a system (no matter how much faith you have in it) if you simply don't have the players to implement it.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 1, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »
I'd like to see how more disciplined and detailed instructions will affect the likes of Downing, Enrique, Henderson, Carroll. If accounts were to be believed, Kenny's style was more to leave the players free to make their own decisions, within reason. I think the players above will improve with more specific instructions on what to do.

Regarding the 'playmaker' role- to me, Lucas is the perfect guy for picking the ball up from the CBs, recycling possession, winning the ball back, dropping between the two central defenders...but he is not really a 'playmaker'. Does he fit this role, or will Rodgers adjust his system somewhat to accomodate our best player?

Pleasingly I think we can all identify a number of players who fit very neatly into Rodger's model.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 1, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »
I think he'll be more flexible in terms of system than people think. Apart from the 4-3-3, Swansea have also used 4-2-3-1/4-2-1-3 and 3-4-3. I think that we have a variety of players in the squad and that although Rodgers may decide mainly on one system, he has the tactical knowledge and preparation to be able to get the team to play a number of systems.

As Royhendo said, the team will be the star rather than individuals and I think the passing style of keeping it on the floor and having the whole team keep possession will be one of the main things he tries to bring in.

I think Carroll can play in a more possession orientated system. We saw in the last few games of the season that his mobility looked a lot better than before and that he can play quickly with the ball at his feet by turning with the ball or laying it off quickly to a supporting team mate. I think the support from the rest of the team is the main thing with every striker, whether you have a quick, mobile striker or a target man. Whether we play a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1/4-2-1-3 or whatever shape, I think Rodgers will try to develop a system like at Swansea where every player is supported by others on the ball and that nobody is left isolated when he receives the ball. That doesn't mean that we'll never play the long pass. More that, for example, having centre backs who are composed in possession and able to bring the ball out to allow the team time to move up and support, will be an important part of the structure of the side.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline tax_man

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: June 1, 2012, 01:39:33 pm »
Is it safe to say that this is the style Rodolfo has been implementing in the reserves? On paper (I know that phrase kind of goes against the essence of this more fluid playing style) it does look similar. That's a very exciting element. For the past 2 seasons there's been a marked difference between playing styles in the reserves and the first team.

Hopefully now we'll be able to see the more seamless incorporations of your Sterlings, Susos, Texeiras etc..

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 1, 2012, 01:47:13 pm »
At the risk of bringing up old arguments, the prospective returns of Cole and Aquilani pose yet more questions. Cole will be trying to impress his third manager in two years in a multitude of systems. Will his technique mitigate his fitness issues? As for the Italian, he doesn't seem to be wanted anywhere really. I saw a place for him in Kenny's system but if Rodgers plans to fully utilise his current blueprint then I struggle to see a place in a midfield that needs to be mobile and pressing regularly. Transfer wise it's difficult to see us getting anything out of his departure, so obvious that we're desperate to get him off the wage bill if he's not playing.

I think both could play in the midfield area in front of Lucas.  Don't get me wrong I think Cole flopped big time here, and I'm not convinced he's good enough (although to be fair he's just had a cracking season over in France), but to suggest Aquilani is averse to a pressing, hardworking & mobile game is a fallacy.  On the rare occasion he played for us, his movement and workrate was a class above anyone we've currently got in midfield bar perhaps Gerrard.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 1, 2012, 01:51:15 pm »
I think both could play in the midfield area in front of Lucas.  Don't get me wrong I think Cole flopped big time here, and I'm not convinced he's good enough (although to be fair he's just had a cracking season over in France), but to suggest Aquilani is averse to a pressing, hardworking & mobile game is a fallacy.  On the rare occasion he played for us, his movement and workrate was a class above anyone we've currently got in midfield bar perhaps Gerrard.

He is mobile and hardworking but I can't see him effectively pressing. Maybe he just deserves a chance to shine in that role, I don't know.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 1, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »
Arguably Villas Boas tried to change Chelsea too quickly so G1 has a point, but I think as Roy suggested, we are probably a better fit for Rodgers methods than the existing Chelsea squad were for Villas Boas'.

I guess one of the first tests for a new boss is how well he identifies this as there's clearly no point in playing a system (no matter how much faith you have in it) if you simply don't have the players to implement it.

Yes, there is always resistance to change but I feel there are large elements of the LFC squad who will welcome this new style as it will suit their play whilst a minority will hate it.

At Chelsea, there was a ridiculous level of player power, going back many years, which was extremely resistant to AVB before he even started. There isn't the same here thank god.

Offline Stan.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 1, 2012, 01:53:34 pm »
He is mobile and hardworking but I can't see him effectively pressing. Maybe he just deserves a chance to shine in that role, I don't know.

People might disagree or rubbish this opinion, but I think if a player is hardworking and fully fit, they'll press if they're told to.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 1, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »
People might disagree or rubbish this opinion, but I think if a player is hardworking and fully fit, they'll press if they're told to.

I'm hoping you don't mean he's capable of running around lots ;D

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 1, 2012, 01:57:07 pm »
I would have thought those players who experienced Benitez's methods will be well-placed to hit the ground running under the new regime. Excuse the cliche.
It's interesting that Rodgers has already identified the areas he wants to improve with new players, and is talking of two to four. For me that's not changing the animal too quickly and I'd guess his team would gel pretty quickly although he is dampening expectation deliberately, and wisely, in his interview.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 1, 2012, 01:57:14 pm »

He has the technical skill for the role and there is no evidence to suggest he'd not follow orders and press as required. Would like to see him given he chance, depends on what Brendan feels when he has a chance to evaluate him.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 1, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »
I would have thought those players who experienced Benitez's methods will be well-placed to hit the ground running under the new regime. Excuse the cliche.
It's interesting that Rodgers has already identified the areas he wants to improve with new players, and is talking of two to four. For me that's not changing the animal too quickly and I'd guess his team would gel pretty quickly although he is dampening expectation deliberately, and wisely, in his interview.

Yep, it's not as if he's coming from a different league. He's played against us and seen where we played well and where we suffered. He can then imagine without seeing the players any further where most would suit his system and those who wouldn't and then think of who could replace them.

Next, I imagine would be to work with the players and refine that list depending on how those 'suspect' players did and applied themselves.

Offline Stan.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 1, 2012, 02:01:43 pm »
Yes, there is always resistance to change but I feel there are large elements of the LFC squad who will welcome this new style as it will suit their play whilst a minority will hate it.

At Chelsea, there was a ridiculous level of player power, going back many years, which was extremely resistant to Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas before he even started. There isn't the same here thank god.

Quite agree and whilst Drogba and Lampard etc probably weren't in the mood to change their game and adapt to a different system at this late stage of their careers, the likes of Carroll and Henderson are still young and learning and arguably the perfect example of players ready to adapt to a long-term system.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 1, 2012, 02:04:03 pm »
I'm hoping you don't mean he's capable of running around lots ;D

I don't think pressing is the hardest asset to teach a player. He has the key skills any player at the top level requires. He just needs direction. Whether he wants that - particularly here - is an entirely different matter altogether. I'd like to think he's desperate for a second chance here. Particular under a coach like Rodgers. His interplay with Gerrard at the back end of the 09/10 season was marvellous at times.

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 1, 2012, 02:11:27 pm »
Great OP, by the looks of this new philosophy we definitely need to recruit in the summer to fill the more attacking midfield roles

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 1, 2012, 02:11:59 pm »
Interesting stuff Roy- hopefully we'll be able to talk about good football being played again (I remember the old thread was well timed, and we'd be able to wax lyrical about the type of football we were playing... unfortunately that didn't last long).

It sounds like he'd be the perfect player for Rodgers. Aquilani's the only midfielder apart from Gerrard that I've seen in a Liverpool team who was capable of picking the ball up deep, and seeming to drive the team's possession forward passing and moving as he went. His best performances for us saw him in deep positions, playing quick passes forward, and ending up creating chances or getting the shot away himself. Considering he played, what, 10 meaningful games or so for us (ie not 10 min cameos), he picked up quite a lot of assists and a few goals as well. I do think he'd score and assist a boatload for us in a team that allowed him to get the best of his ability- and it sounds like that's the way we're about to play our football.

The lad's got a certain drive when it comes to attacking possession based football. And he'd be perfect in Rodger's zone 4 as one of the CMs ahead of Lucas.

If Gerrard can get back to his old self, Aquilani can get firing and Lucas doesn't feel the effects of his injury from last season, we'd potentially have one of the strongest central midfields in the league in my opinion. Especially if the focus is on keeping the ball.

Funnily enough, I remember a few years back saying how I'd like to see Alonso replaced by a player in such a system if he left- instead of 2 holding midfielders, one holding midfielder with 2 more attack minded CMs in front of him. iI always thought Aquilani would be perfect as one of those 2; now that it looks like we have a manager who follows such a system for his CMs and we have Aquilani around as well, I'm interested in seeing how it pans out.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2012, 02:17:15 pm by BazC »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 1, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »
Rodgers could do a really good job with this current squad. Pepe is the perfect keeper for Rodgers, and '11th outfield player' and probably the best keeper in the world in terms of distrubition. Agger, another perfect player for the new boss. One of our best passers of the ball, will recycle posession well and also contribute in higher zones on the pitch. Skrtel, there's potential there for him to become a decent recycler of the ball and with more confidence could do a half decent job of what Agger does all the time. Enrique and Johnson, two great wing backs. A little coaching insight here and there with those two and they will improve massively. Lucas. Well. He's fucking boss isn't he? What manager wouldnt want him? He will epitomise what will be great about our team under Rodgers. Destroyer who is also more than capable of being a playmaker. Needs a back up and someone who can play with him. Gerrard, Adam, Shelvey and Aquilani are all players who could thrive under Rodgers. Maybe not Adam but certainly the other 3. Out wide we definitely need signings unless Rodgers thinks he can make Downing the player he could be. Up front I think Suarez will enjoy the style but Andy will be the interesting one to watch. I think he could fit in perfectly, but that will remain to be seen.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #33 on: June 1, 2012, 02:16:43 pm »

^^^

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 1, 2012, 02:17:29 pm »
Again it will be depend on the players being brought in: The right ones in order makes us perform as a unit, the top quality ones in order to make the difference.

He will depend on the number of top talented players we will be able to bring in which will give him a squad with he will be able to try to outsmart the likes of City, Chelsea, ManU and Arsenal. Just as Rafa did...

If we won´t bring in top quality, he will struggle like all our managers before, sooner (Kenny) or later (Rafa).

What I can sense right away from Rodgers was his realism. He is fully aware of this and it´s a very good sign that.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 1, 2012, 02:25:43 pm »
Quite agree and whilst Drogba and Lampard etc probably weren't in the mood to change their game and adapt to a different system at this late stage of their careers, the likes of Carroll and Henderson are still young and learning and arguably the perfect example of players ready to adapt to a long-term system.

Let's not forget that the Chelsea squad finished 2nd before Villas-Boas came and this season we finished 8th. Lower expectations - not just from the owners but the players - they'll be willing to try something new.

Offline Stan.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 1, 2012, 02:26:53 pm »
Interesting to see if our 'luck' in front of goal improves at all next season.  I think there's more goals in Suarez than he's letting on, and hopefully if Carroll can make the central striker spot his own, we'll see him bang a few more away. 

I think with those two and Bellamy as a front 3, there should be more than enough goal-threat in the side, but assuming Bellamy won't play all the time, it'll be very interesting to see who else might occupy that 3rd spot up front.

Offline Stan.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 1, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »
Let's not forget that the Chelsea squad finished 2nd before Villas-Boas came and this season we finished 8th. Lower expectations - not just from the owners but the players - they'll be willing to try something new.

Exactly.  In all fairness to Villas Boas who I still believe is a top coach, he was dismantling a tried and tested system that yielded titles at Chelsea.  As you say, we on the other hand are still looking for a system to achieve that.

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 1, 2012, 02:29:03 pm »
Where we are in May 2012

The club has hired a manager whose preferred approach to the game is broadly as follows.

• Keeper as an 11th outfield player
  • All players with playmaking responsibilities
  • Centre halves who can advance with and recycle ball
  • Wing backs with energy and discipline
  • Spine in 'echelon' - movement to guarantee passing triangles
  • Arguably a shift from a '3 bands' formation to an '8 Zone' approach
  • Defensive midfielder - playmaker, circulator, destroyer
  • 2 advanced midfielders - energy, linking, support for front three, pressing
  • Inside forwards - pace, crossing, goalscoring, energy, directness, pressing
  • Striker - reference point, goalscorer, bringing support runners into play
  • A belief in 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'
  • A preference for multifunctional players, as a means to add flexibility, cut squad numbers, and get more from resources.

I think we have some players who are perfect for the brand of football Rodgers wants to play.

Actually we could probably start the season with the current squad and do really well:

Reina

Skrtel--Agger

Johnson-------Lucas--------Enrique

Henderson---Gerrard

Bellamy----------------------Suarez

Carroll

The players in bold, I don't think you can get much better players than them to play those particular roles in that system.

Rodgers is going to have to decide where to play Gerrard and Suarez.  They are our two key match winners and Gerrard can play in a number of positions and Suarez can as well, be it wide, main striker or in a free role.  Place those two players where they will be best and then build the rest or buy players around them.

For me he has a problem with Carragher.  He won't really fit this style of play, but then again does he want to come to a new club and tell Carragher that he isn't part of his plans - it is risky as to how Carragher or the fans will react.  Although personally I'd rather he did tell Carragher that, as long as he felt it was for the good of the club.

I feel we look extremely good in the GK, the whole back four (and back up) positions.  We've also got loads of players who can play in centre midfield pressing / attacking roles in Gerrard, Aquilani, Shelvey, Henderson, Suso, maybe Cole.  The areas to improve are similar to when Dalglish was manager:

- Back up for Lucas, with Spearing probably making way.
- Improve the attacking wide positions, as only Sterling and Bellamy seem good enough and we could do with two more players to compete with them out wide, with Downing, Kuyt and Maxi all not really fitting the profile out wide (for one reason or another).
- Get a clinical striker to compete with Carroll.  Carroll will be a reference point, he will bring others into play... but thus far he hasn't been clinical and when you play with a lone striker they have to get goals and take chances when they come.

Let's not forget last season we were passing the ball round very well.  A lot of these players should thrive under the possession based game that Rodgers will provide, but if he wants to play attacking winning football, we need a better attack - simple as that as players like Downing won't cut the mustard in terms of consistently providing assists, goals and threat to help us win matches week in, week out.  Bellamy, Gerrard, Suarez (possibly Sterling) can - but they need help.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2012, 02:41:45 pm by Z e u s »

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 1, 2012, 02:33:05 pm »
Again it will be depend on the players being brought in

If he buys well it will help.

But the most important thing for me is getting the best out of the players that are already here, some of which are the best in the world when in top form.