Author Topic: CPU cooler  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
CPU cooler
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:09:18 pm »
I've a new PC ordered which should arrive tomorrow. The thing I'm wondering about is that I think I may have made a blunder with the aftermarket CPU cooler. It's a Cooler Master Hyper 212.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-quiet-cpu-cooler-4-heat-pipes-120mm-fan-intel-s775-am2-am2plus-am3-754-939-94

I stupidly ordered it assuming that it would automatically fit a i5 2500k 1155 sb socket. It says that i7 is optional in the description. Does this mean I could get away with it?

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
Re: CPU cooler
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:50:52 pm »
Guess you'll find out when it arrives.  If not return and use stock meanwhile?
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:17:43 pm »
Yes it'll fit just fine on a SB socket.  Throw the instruction manual it comes with in the trash, that thing is bloody useless and check youtube for an instruction manual on how to install onto the mobo.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:48:14 pm »
Yes it'll fit just fine on a SB socket.  Throw the instruction manual it comes with in the trash, that thing is bloody useless and check youtube for an instruction manual on how to install onto the mobo.
Cheers, mate. That's reassured me. Even though it's a cheap cooler, it's all the bollox of getting it all up and running and overclocked in one go instead of having to use a stock cooler, re ordering another part, waiting, then opening the bloody thing up again to sort it.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »
It didn't fit. Fuckin bollocks! It's like 1mm off each hole from fitting, which makes it more frustrating. Worst thing about it, is that I've an entire high end PC ready to build here, but can't because I ordered a OEM CPU and that means I've no stock cooler just to tide me over and get it up and running. I now have to wait for retention brackets arriving from Holland, which can take a while. FFUUUUUUUUUUUU....

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:17:57 am »
If you're just 1mm off it sounds like you've got it setup in the wrong socket type.  There are 3 settings on the back plate and clamp for Intel CPU's.  Socket 775 is the closest to the center, 1156 in the middle and 1366 the furthest away.  1156 = 1155 socket in terms of size and dimensions so anything that fits on 1156 will fit on SB socket.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 03:30:31 am »
Yup, the 1155 and 1156 are the same.  Pics of your install?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »
Yup, the 1155 and 1156 are the same.  Pics of your install?
It's a GD53 (B3) MSI board.

http://images.pricerunner.com/product/image/225234351/MSI-P67A-GD53-(B3).jpg

The backplate I got with the cooler only has a single hole on each of the four corners of a X-shaped clamp. I had to order the new universal clamp and backplate off eBay. The only person that sells them on there is located in Holland, so fuck knows when I'll get that in the post. Pain in the bollox.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:23:50 pm »
Looking at the link you posted, it only says the version you ordered is compatible with 1366...  Unfortunately, as you've just discovered, 1366 doesn't line up with 1155 or 1156.  Don't know why all companies don't send universal brackets for the first and second gen i3/i5/i7's.  Especially considering the minimal difference of the holes.  They could just drill it out a little more like the bracket on the far right in the pic below...  Corsair will even send out brackets for free if you bought an older H50 that didn't have compatible brackets for 1155/1156.

The 212 is a great cooler though, as long as you're not clocking the processor too much.  What thermal compound you using?  Also, when/if you decide to move to liquid, any thoughts yet on what setup you're going for?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:32:27 pm by The Red Dojo »

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 05:39:35 pm »
Oh, and I see you went with the 2500k, what are the other specs?   :wave

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 12:17:43 am »
Looking at the link you posted, it only says the version you ordered is compatible with 1366...  Unfortunately, as you've just discovered, 1366 doesn't line up with 1155 or 1156.  Don't know why all companies don't send universal brackets for the first and second gen i3/i5/i7's.  Especially considering the minimal difference of the holes.  They could just drill it out a little more like the bracket on the far right in the pic below...  Corsair will even send out brackets for free if you bought an older H50 that didn't have compatible brackets for 1155/1156.

The 212 is a great cooler though, as long as you're not clocking the processor too much.  What thermal compound you using?  Also, when/if you decide to move to liquid, any thoughts yet on what setup you're going for?
Compound I have is Arctic MX 2. Some reviews say it's as good as Arctic Silver 5 if not actually better. It's also non metalic, so no chance of any accidental shorts on the board. It also cost a lot less. When you say set up, do you mean what I intend to overclock to? I'm hoping to get it stable sitting at 4.5 on the i5 2500k. Anything more is pushing it with that cooler, especially in the summer. I'm hoping the brackets come tomorrow. Really is annoying looking at a brand new PC sitting in various boxes, while I'm currently stuck and working on a piece of shit. A reliable piece of shit, but a piece of shit all the same.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:24:10 am »
Oh, and I see you went with the 2500k, what are the other specs?   :wave
Oh, 8gb RAM (upping that to 16 when I need it for graphics and illustration apps like ZBrush, PS et al), a XFX 750w PSU, Samsung DVD RW (not sure which spec, but so long as it works), 500gb Caviar Black WD HDD, and a HD5870 XFX Black Edition, which I intend to Xfire with another one in the near future. The case is a CM Storm Scout, soon to be custom painted. Fairly nice set up. If I can get it set up that is.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 02:45:46 pm »
Compound I have is Arctic MX 2. Some reviews say it's as good as Arctic Silver 5 if not actually better. It's also non metalic, so no chance of any accidental shorts on the board. It also cost a lot less. When you say set up, do you mean what I intend to overclock to? I'm hoping to get it stable sitting at 4.5 on the i5 2500k. Anything more is pushing it with that cooler, especially in the summer. I'm hoping the brackets come tomorrow. Really is annoying looking at a brand new PC sitting in various boxes, while I'm currently stuck and working on a piece of shit. A reliable piece of shit, but a piece of shit all the same.

I meant cooling setup, if you decide to move on and away from air cooling.  That MX2 is good, just make sure you don't put a ton on there.  2 methods I'd recommend for application is put a drop on, start with the cooler about a half-turn away from final seated position, place on chip, rotate and seat with screws, or apply a drop and spread with a razor blade.  Either way is effective in my experience, just make sure you tighten it down evenly and don't over tighten it.

Oh, 8gb RAM (upping that to 16 when I need it for graphics and illustration apps like ZBrush, PS et al), a XFX 750w PSU, Samsung DVD RW (not sure which spec, but so long as it works), 500gb Caviar Black WD HDD, and a HD5870 XFX Black Edition, which I intend to Xfire with another one in the near future. The case is a CM Storm Scout, soon to be custom painted. Fairly nice set up. If I can get it set up that is.

You're gonna love that 5870, especially when you crossfire it.  I'm running a 5850 OC'ed to 900/1200 and it's similar spec to a stock 5870.  God knows that thing will fly with two OC'ed 5870's in it :D

That 750 XFX will be enough to power 2 of those 5870's as well, even after overclocking so that's good.  Can't go wrong with Caviar Black in my opinion, the only reason I went with a Spinpoint F3 is because I found a 7200rpm 1tb for about $49.  I would definitely recommend you keep an eye out for SSD deals as you do a lot of work with graphics and such.  I can't overstate how pleased I am with how fast my graphical applications work with mine, or just applications and games in general.

Also, you'll dig that Storm Scout, but the side window causes the case to get extra dusty if you don't put filters in, even with no fans in at all.  If you're not planning on having fans in there, I've got a spare solid plexi side window I can cut and put holes in.  I don't need an extra so $15usd + shipping if I cut it and drill it, or $5usd + shipping for the uncut 16"x13"x1/8" sheet.  If instead, you have access to plexi, make sure the piece is at least 36mm x 33mm and don't get a thickness over 1/8th of an inch or you'll have to get new rivets as opposed to using the plastic ones already in it...  Another alternative, you can go through coolermaster and buy a spare solid panel like the one on the Motherboard side, they're completely interchangeable.

Pics of mine below in the same case as yours...  Disregard the cable mess on the inside, I've got a false floor covering the PSU and cables are more tucked away now.  I did a TON of cutting on mine though, lol
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:03:22 pm by The Red Dojo »

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:28 pm »
My laptop is the heating in our house.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 03:04:26 pm »
My laptop is the heating in our house.

lol, I had an i7 based laptop that was like that, only kept it for about 6 months.  I sold it as it was obviously not going to last long at the temps it was hitting and built the one in my pictures.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 03:27:42 pm »
Yeah, a chip like an i7 isn't agreat idea inside a laptop, is it?

Not sure if I'll move away from air cooling. I know water is much better, but it's really for enthusiast builders that love to take the piss with overclocking. I know it's also virtually silent, but still, no need for it personally. Ireland is cold for most of the year anyway, so air cooling should be fine.

I'm not too fussed about the side window on the Scout, Dojo. I understood it had no dust filters on there, but I've got some of the material found on the inside of the front bezel to use for that anyway. I just have to figure out a way of applying it. I love the look of that case. Seems like that radiator found a convenient spot under the handles on yours, which is nice. Does it not block off the exaust fan, though? I had a really limited knowledge about building PC's, but I found just how important it is for good research into componants before building on. I spent a good month or two checking out stuff online prior to building. The last PC I got was a pre-made one, and I'll never do that again. It has to be one of the biggest cons going with the shit they put in there and sell for a premium.

As for SSD's, I was thinking about intalling one for the OS and essential programs, but it's more of a luxury than a essential, so one of those can wait. Still wouldn't mind one, though. The thing I'm not sure about is RAID and what benefits you gain from it when I get round to adding another HDD.

Just noticed the bottom picture. Did you have to cut the HDD bay out? I don't think it's removeable. Does the 3.5" bay at the front come out? I tried removing it, but it's well wedged in there. I want to put the opitical drive in there and probably put a fan at the top.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:32:48 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 04:25:15 pm »
Yeah, a chip like an i7 isn't agreat idea inside a laptop, is it?

Not in an HP Chassis anyway ;)

Not sure if I'll move away from air cooling. I know water is much better, but it's really for enthusiast builders that love to take the piss with overclocking. I know it's also virtually silent, but still, no need for it personally. Ireland is cold for most of the year anyway, so air cooling should be fine.

Yeah, I think you'll like that 212 also, it's the best air cooler imo.  I was initially going to get one of those then changed my mind to get a Corsair H60, then changed my mind to get a Rasa 720 kit.

I'm not too fussed about the side window on the Scout, Dojo. I understood it had no dust filters on there, but I've got some of the material found on the inside of the front bezel to use for that anyway. I just have to figure out a way of applying it. I love the look of that case. Seems like that radiator found a convenient spot under the handles on yours, which is nice. Does it not block off the exaust fan, though? I had a really limited knowledge about building PC's, but I found just how important it is for good research into componants before building on. I spent a good month or two checking out stuff online prior to building. The last PC I got was a pre-made one, and I'll never do that again. It has to be one of the biggest cons going with the shit they put in there and sell for a premium.

I actually cut the plastic as well as the metal, set the radiator down into the recessed area and made an extra set of holes for an extra fan, the Gentle Typhoons screw into the radiator and push air up and out of the case through the radiator.  Doesn't restrict airflow at all and my temps are 24c idle and 56c tops under Prime95 load, which is waaaaaay more load than a machine will see from day to day use...  Just from regular tasks day to day and graphic/video editing it never gets above around 44c.

As for SSD's, I was thinking about intalling one for the OS and essential programs, but it's more of a luxury than a essential, so one of those can wait. Still wouldn't mind one, though. The thing I'm not sure about is RAID and what benefits you gain from it when I get round to adding another HDD.

In all seriousness, I'd say get the SSD well before you get that extra 5870.  You can OC that 5870 and be fine for quite a while.  Personally, I'd swerve a RAID setup as certain configurations can put your data at risk if one of the drives fail.  It's fast and all, but one drive fails, you lose everything in the array.

Just noticed the bottom picture. Did you have to cut the HDD bay out? I don't think it's removeable. Does the 3.5" bay at the front come out? I tried removing it, but it's well wedged in there. I want to put the opitical drive in there and probably put a fan at the top.

You can take a rotary tool (dremel) to the rivets and pop out the lower drive bay.  Basically, the way the lower drive bay sits is very restrictive on the airflow from the front of the case.  So I cut it out and actually shortened the height by 2 slots and was going to rotate it 90 degrees and put it right up against the front fan, which I upgraded to a Gentle Typhoon AP-15 as well.  I was going to do this until I realized that the holes in the bottom of the case where the rivets were, lined up perfectly to the holes in the sides of HDD's and the brackets for my SSD.  So I left it out, screwed down the drives and the airflow is fantastic.  As far as the upper bay coming out, you'd have to take out way too many rivets and it's not really worth it.

Your hardware sounds spot on and I hope it turns out great!  If you need help with anything, feel free...  :thumbup
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:33:38 pm by The Red Dojo »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 11:51:36 pm »
Bloody head ache building one of these things. I was at it a fair part of the day, back is fucked, and got seriously stressed, especially when I put everything together, done all the nice cable management so it's all nice and tidy, then I press power on and fuck all happens. So I automatically think I've fucked something up, or the PSU is dead. I was wondering why my board has a power and reset switch. Turned out it came in really useful, because it booted from that, so I immediately figured out the issue.

I've since discovered that my cable that goes from the monitor to the 5870 doesn't have the right connection to fit. My monitor only has the old VGA D-sub connection. Is it possible to get a D-Sub to DVI converter?

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 01:39:49 am »
Bloody head ache building one of these things. I was at it a fair part of the day, back is fucked, and got seriously stressed, especially when I put everything together, done all the nice cable management so it's all nice and tidy, then I press power on and fuck all happens. So I automatically think I've fucked something up, or the PSU is dead. I was wondering why my board has a power and reset switch. Turned out it came in really useful, because it booted from that, so I immediately figured out the issue.

I've since discovered that my cable that goes from the monitor to the 5870 doesn't have the right connection to fit. My monitor only has the old VGA D-sub connection. Is it possible to get a D-Sub to DVI converter?

I actually booted mine up the first time and couldn't figure out why the fuck it would come on for about an 1/8th of a second then immediately back off...  took me about 20 minutes to realize I hadn't plugged in the power cable to my video card, lol.  Just take your time, don't rush, you'll miss things when you rush.  If you start getting pissed off, go take a break and do something else for however long.  I worked on mine for a good 2 weeks total, cutting, sanding, painting, doing wiring diagrams for extra 12v lights to be able to control them with the stock 5v light switch on the case... 

It's all very rewarding in the end when you finally get to use it, especially to it's full potential.  If you need help overclocking anything, I'd suggest going to overclock.net and go into the subforum for your particular motherboard.  I'm running a biostar and the bios is completely different to what you're running I'm sure.  The concept is the same, but I'd recommend you follow the opinions of a few hundred that have a setup very near yours as opposed to some random guy on a non-computer related forum that doesn't even have the same processor.

You can find adapters for about 5 quid online, should sort you out.  Just make sure you get the correct femal/male ends :)  Oh, and go for adapters with a little bit of cable between the ends, trust me, it'll save you headaches down the road.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:43:08 am by The Red Dojo »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 06:07:51 pm »
Question regarding the cooler itself. I had the system running for a couple of minutes, but no more. I checked to see if it was taking on any heat, but it still felt cold to the touch, even the copper pipes at the base. Windows isn't intalled or anything, so I think this is down to the fact that the CPU isn't taking on any load and not generating the heat just yet. Is it normal for the sink to be so cool when the system is sitting idle? I'm 100% sure the sink is contacting the CPU surface, and the method I used for the paste was to put a long grain of rice sized drop in the middle and just planked it down on top and fastened the bolts as tight as was comfortable.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:09:41 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 1, 2011, 02:26:50 am »
The 212 is pretty big as far as heatsinks go and if you're not doing anything very processor intensive it's not going to get too warm, especially over a couple of minutes.  The paste will take a while to burn in also, so keep that in mind.  You running a push/pull with 2 fans or just sticking to the one?

Definitely download CPUID though so you can keep an eye on your temps in real time.  Bolt tightness is important, but it's more important that it's flat on the cpu and contacting as much as possible,  thermal paste is really for helping fill in imperfections to transfer heat on non-contacting surfaces. 

I'm sure you'll be fine, if not it's no big deal to re-seat the cooler.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2011, 02:28:49 am by The Red Dojo »

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #21 on: August 1, 2011, 05:06:02 am »
I actually booted mine up the first time and couldn't figure out why the fuck it would come on for about an 1/8th of a second then immediately back off...  took me about 20 minutes to realize I hadn't plugged in the power cable to my video card, lol.

Ha sounds like me in my first build last year.  I plugged all my PSU cables into every socket on my mobo I could find and had power leads going into sys_fan sockets and was shorting out the board... think I took it apart and rebuilt about 3 times before I realized.

Just ordered a Vertex 3 120gb + Antec Khuler 620 so I can OC further.  Bought a shitty air which was only about 10% better than stock.  Hoping to push my phenom 955 to 4Ghz (3.6 atm)

Takes about 3 mins for windows to load up to running status so well looking forward to setting up my SSD.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 1, 2011, 05:42:33 pm »
The 212 is pretty big as far as heatsinks go and if you're not doing anything very processor intensive it's not going to get too warm, especially over a couple of minutes.  The paste will take a while to burn in also, so keep that in mind.  You running a push/pull with 2 fans or just sticking to the one?

Definitely download CPUID though so you can keep an eye on your temps in real time.  Bolt tightness is important, but it's more important that it's flat on the cpu and contacting as much as possible,  thermal paste is really for helping fill in imperfections to transfer heat on non-contacting surfaces. 

I'm sure you'll be fine, if not it's no big deal to re-seat the cooler.
I'm going to put another fan in there for a push pull. I was intent on keeping everything inside the case a nice red LED, but seeing the blue on the fan is hypnotizing, so I'm keeping that for sure. I'll bump two red cold cathodes in there to spark the rest up. Normally I wouldn't be fussed, but they are cheap and it looks nice so I might as well. I'm going to paint a couple of liverbirds on the other side.

The cooler itself is bolted as snug as I can get it. Each bolt is flush with each other, so I think it's fairly even on there. My DVD drive won't open, though. Slightly worried about that, and I've tried the paper clip thing and it didn't pop open. I managed to force it with a thin screw driver, so as long as it boots up the disc when I put it in, it's no big deal. Could something be conflicting with it to cause that? There are no drivers and windows isn't installed yet. Could that be the case?

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 2, 2011, 04:11:39 am »
The cooler itself is bolted as snug as I can get it. Each bolt is flush with each other, so I think it's fairly even on there. My DVD drive won't open, though. Slightly worried about that, and I've tried the paper clip thing and it didn't pop open. I managed to force it with a thin screw driver, so as long as it boots up the disc when I put it in, it's no big deal. Could something be conflicting with it to cause that? There are no drivers and windows isn't installed yet. Could that be the case?

In all seriousness, that sounds more like you haven't got power running to it to be honest, unless it's just faulty.  What drive and is it new?  Sometimes you get faulty parts, I personally have been lucky enough that it's only ever happened once to me, and it was some shit 64-n-1 media card reader I got for $7 so I just binned it.  Boot up and go into your bios, see if it's listed there in the boot order and let me know.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2011, 04:14:30 am by The Red Dojo »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 2, 2011, 04:59:25 pm »
In all seriousness, that sounds more like you haven't got power running to it to be honest, unless it's just faulty.  What drive and is it new?  Sometimes you get faulty parts, I personally have been lucky enough that it's only ever happened once to me, and it was some shit 64-n-1 media card reader I got for $7 so I just binned it.  Boot up and go into your bios, see if it's listed there in the boot order and let me know.
Yeah, you were right. It did have power going to it, but just not enough. I'd two devices connected to the same cord, so I just separated the two and everything is now 100%. In fact, I'm on here now using the new rig, so everything is grand. Cheers for all the help, mate. I'm just working on installing all the drivers and bringing over all the work I'd left unfinished to be done on this machine. I also have a bit of an issue with the MSI HD sound driver where the sound seems to be very weak, echoing and hard to make out voices. I'm sure I'll suss it out, though. Again, thanks.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 2, 2011, 09:54:05 pm »
Yeah, you were right. It did have power going to it, but just not enough. I'd two devices connected to the same cord, so I just separated the two and everything is now 100%. In fact, I'm on here now using the new rig, so everything is grand. Cheers for all the help, mate. I'm just working on installing all the drivers and bringing over all the work I'd left unfinished to be done on this machine. I also have a bit of an issue with the MSI HD sound driver where the sound seems to be very weak, echoing and hard to make out voices. I'm sure I'll suss it out, though. Again, thanks.

:thumbup

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 2, 2011, 10:41:01 pm »
The distortion and low echo sound seems to be a problem only on the front port of the Scout. I plugged my headphones directly into the board instead. Have you had this issue yourself with the front jack? There's a AC 97 connector and a HD one going from the front bezel. I have the HD one connected. Maybe the AC 97 will solve the issue?
« Last Edit: August 2, 2011, 10:45:38 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 3, 2011, 12:26:05 am »
I use the front port constantly and it's crystal clear, HD Audio.  First, check and make sure that HD Audio cable isn't pinched anywhere, then make sure you seated the HD Audio all the way to the motherboard and then make sure you're seating your headphone jack all the way.  I'd have to hear it myself to be sure what the issue is to be honest but it sounds like something just isn't seated all the way.  Just in case though, what drivers?  You should be on Realtek HD drivers, 6.0.1.6363 is the latest for Windows 7/Vista.  Can find it here, but if you're plugged in at the back and it's fine, I highly doubt it's the drivers.

Edit***

On further thought, check your settings as well for the way your machine handles sound.  Some things like Skype or whatever will switch around what devices they use as default and I've noticed when I plug in to the front port it sometimes doesn't automatically kill sound to my speakers and go over to the headphones... and then there is probably some hard to find fucking set of sliders that let you setup how your headphones sound to make sure you're not attempting to push 7.1 through them or something, or try to do things with them that they may not be capable of...
« Last Edit: August 3, 2011, 12:53:34 am by The Red Dojo »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 3, 2011, 01:14:55 pm »
If you right click on your sound icon down at the bottom right, and then go to playback devices, then right click on speakers, go to properties, then click enhancements, check the box that says immediate mode, then check the box that says voice cancellation. That will give you a good idea of how the front jack sounds no matter what settings I have it set on. I'll get round to double checking everything inside my case later on. I might just switch over to AC 97 to see if it resolves anything.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 3, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »
If you right click on your sound icon down at the bottom right, and then go to playback devices, then right click on speakers, go to properties, then click enhancements, check the box that says immediate mode, then check the box that says voice cancellation. That will give you a good idea of how the front jack sounds no matter what settings I have it set on. I'll get round to double checking everything inside my case later on. I might just switch over to AC 97 to see if it resolves anything.

I don't have any of those enhancements, lol.  My enhancements are different.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2011, 04:22:26 pm by The Red Dojo »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 3, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »
Ah, well. If you see a voice cancellation box, ticking that is the sound I get. I'll try the drivers in the link above. I've dl'd a few and none of them seem to be changing anything.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 3, 2011, 09:12:06 pm »
If it's just happening on from the front port, I'm just about positive it's not a driver issue.