Author Topic: A Quarter of the Season Gone, and Starting to Look Good  (Read 9890 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
A Quarter of the Season Gone, and Starting to Look Good
« on: October 26, 2004, 04:33:30 pm »
We are now a quarter of the way through the league season, and the last month has seen things starting to come together. (It's also nice for a couple of weeks without the mention of zonal marking).

How good this Liverpool team currently is, and how good it can become in the next year or two, are two totally different questions. The first involves Rafa working mostly with what he inherited and demands a level of realism with regard to fixing something that was clearly broken; the second cannot take into account all the imponderables, such as new signings, injuries, player development, and the retention of the club's best players. The first is limited; the second could appear as limitless as the sky. If he can make such dramatic (and fundamental) improvements in such a short space of time, then what can he do in two years?

I still don't see enough about us - at the moment - to usurp last season's top three; and understandably so given the standing of all four teams at the end of last season. There's a bit too much experience in amongst our rival's ranks, and more depth to their squads. We don't seem as physically dominant - as tough and robust - as Arsenal and Man U, who appear more battle-hardened, and we lack the pace they possess in every area. But, thankfully, where last year there was a chasm I now see only a gap. In two of the three cases, much of that gap is to do with finances.

Where we can compete - joyously - is in the passing of a football. Only Arsenal have played better passing football than us this season. It makes a nice change from being derided for 'hoofing' every ten seconds. It is not beautiful and entertaining football for the sake of it; is the brand of football that wins the biggest trophies.

We're passing teams off the park at Anfield, and creating chance after chance. Not just against the less-glamourous Premiership sides we've sent packing without a single point to their names, but Monaco and Deportivo la Coruna: two of the top four teams in last season's Champions League, and we deserved to win both games by at least a two-goal margin. Seeing us outplay, with great pass-and-move, top Spanish opposition at Anfield (at long last, after the previous two 'humblings') was a big indicator of the team's potential. We looked the technically superior side - that was the surprise. At times in recent seasons we'd seemed incapable of stringing two passes together.

I'd be surprised if we dismantled last year's top three in a similar fashion, but at least we look more than capable of beating them on our own pitch. It may take longer to find some consistency away from home, but the confidence breeding throughout the first-team squad will only help; as will being able to field our strongest team.

The momentum is building. Players from whom little was expected are suddenly looking more than capable of doing a job. Rafa is going some way to getting the best out of them. (Okay, I'm still puzzled as to how Salif Diao fits into this, but I'll give Rafa the benefit of the doubt over that one).

One of the best pointers for a bright future is Benitez's record in the transfer market. He has thus far picked out four players, and with the exception of Nunez, who has yet to play any kind of match for Liverpool due to injury, all have made a positive impression, and in the case of Alonso and Luis Garcia, unexpected heights have been hit. All managers - even the best - make mistakes in the transfer market; but if Benitez spends as wisely (and the combined fees for those four players didn't amount to much more than Adrian Mutu) then a title challenge won't be far away. 

Josemi may or may not make the grade - he seems a little rash in the tackle and lacks the kind of blistering pace you could always use at full-back - but there's no way he's a bad buy. There's no gamble at £2m. He looks decent value for money, and while not exactly looking out of his depth, we can but hope he improves gradually as he comes to terms with the game in England. At the very least, he is solid.

One massive upshot of Josemi's arrival has been the form (and hunger) of Steve Finnan, who, in the right back role against Charlton, looked like the player I was always led to believe we were buying. I've been impressed with him at right midfield - steadily improving as the season progresses - but the suspicion remains that he'll never be outstanding in that position. But getting into that area of the pitch as an over-lapping full-back offers so many more options, especially if Luis Garcia, as is his wont, drifts infield to look for goalscoring opportunities. Finnan can whip in a fine cross with either foot, and finally he's proving that. (Luis Garcia and Finnan must be the most two-footed combination on any flank in English football; unfortunately, Riise and Traore are possibly the most one-footed combination - not that either is playing at all badly, or letting the side down).

Finnan's looked stronger, and more tenacious in the tackle, and suddenly looks good both defensively and when moving forward. He could be one of those originally earmarked for the exit door who plays his way into Rafa's long-term plans. He's certainly a valuable squad member at the moment. His stock has risen, as has Djimi Traore's. Salif Diao has yet to show any signs of improvement, but perhaps he will.

No one has scored against us at Anfield since the first week of the season. The best thing about it is that it has been achieved not by playing a defensive-minded midfield, but by being open and attacking - and by not letting the opposition have the ball. Attack really has proven to be the best form of defence.

It is possession football, but possession with an edge, a purpose; and all the while lacking our most potent midfielder, Steven Gerrard: the man who bridges the space between midfield and attack, the man who gets in behind the opposition defence to score goals, and who can dissect a back four with one brilliant pass. The papers will continue to speculate that he will be leaving (once that can of worms was opened, no lid was ever going prove strong enough to contain the rumours), but are you telling me Stevie G would not have watched the recent home games and thought "I'd love to be out there, playing in this side"? He will believe in Benitez, as he is seeing his methods first-hand.

Didi Hamann is doing a fine job ahead of Alonso, with the Spaniard 'sweeping' in front of the back four (ending opposition moves, starting our new ones), but Didi, in his new role, has none of Gerrard's dynamism. Our midfield will be so much stronger when our captain returns. Also a benefit will be a fit and sharp Harry Kewell - as a sub against Charlton he finally appeared to have that extra yard of pace that injury had been denying him.

People are getting hung-up on our players missing chances, but the key thing is that we're creating plenty. Gerard Houllier often quoted stats about our missed chances under his regime (certainly in the last two seasons), but now you can sense 'proper' chances are being created, not scrappy half-chances from loose balls and knock-downs. The strikers deserve credit for getting into the positions to miss - Michael Owen missed plenty (for which fools lambasted him), but he never hid, and Baros and Cisse are the same.

The day strikers start bottling it, and staying out of the area, is the day you need to worry. Luis Garcia another fine example - he misses some sitters, but always seems to get one or two brilliant efforts on target every match. Those three attackers have ten goals between them, and none has taken a penalty to bolster his tally (not that we've been awarded one). Had Cisse taken and scored three penalties this season, no one would be questioning his contribution. Baros has been both brilliant and frustrating in equal measure, but his work-rate and commitment have been exceptional.

It's strange seeing us score so many goals from outside the area: two against Norwich, three against Fulham, and now two against Charlton. But that's all part of the mindset of the team - drag defenders around, work some space, and get a strike away. It's not like the players are shooting for the hell of it, or out of frustration at not being able to create 'proper' chances. They are shooting when earning the opportunity to do so.

It's been encouraging to see Cisse doing well out wide, as Rafa makes the tactical switch halfway through games, where Djibril swaps places with Luis Garcia. Against Depor the Frenchman had some good strikes at goal, and then against Charlton he hit the post - unlucky to not already be ahead of Riise in the "how did you score that goal" from rolled-and-struck free-kicks in their respective Liverpool careers. The goals will come. But in the meantime it's reassuring to see Cisse can offer a different dimension to our play on the right hand side.

In that role he displays few tricks, and doesn't have a single defender second guessing "is he going to cut inside?" - he just knocks the ball into space on the outside of the full-back and, defying the laws of time and space, appears to collect the ball at the byline before he has even released it in the first place. The determination he shows in making lost causes winnable positions will endear him to the doubters. Had his run in the last minute of the first half resulted in a goal for Luis Garcia, his 'assist' would have been one of the season's best.

Every area of this side is contributing something: front, middle and back, left and right.

So while there is still a long way to travel in terms of the Rafalution, it's nice to feel that we are at last on the right road.

© Paul Tomkins 2004
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 06:32:50 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline conrad-m

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: A Quarter of the Season Gone, and Starting to Look Good
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 04:48:20 pm »
Hello Paul

Couldn't agree more.

The most exciting thing for me is the quality of football we are playing - particularly at Anfield. Pass and move football, with the emphasis on retaining possession. The rest will come - as the team develops under Rafa's guidance. I honestly believe that if Stevie G is here this time next year he'll be captaining a team that is seriously challenging for the title.

My biggest worry under the previous regime was that we were never playing the standard and style of football that looked capable of taking us to the highest level - no matter how good some of our results were.

Now, get the book written Mr T... ;)

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 04:52:38 pm »
Great read as always, Paul - I thoroughly enjoyed that!  :thumbup

I've been impressed with the way Rafa has had a positive effect on Riise, Finnan, Traore etc. It would have been easy for Rafa to shrug his shoulders and moan about the players he'd inherited, but instead he has set about instilling confidence in players who were struggling and getting better performances out of them.

And at just under £11 million, Xabi Alonso is looking like the bargain of the season. One more good performance on Saturday and Xabi ought be be named Premiership player of the month for October.

Offline Dule

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 04:57:36 pm »
Great Article Tom, i agree with almost everything you say but 1 thing.

Are you sure about this quote?

"Didi Hamann is doing a fine job ahead of Alonso, with the Spaniard 'sweeping' in front of the back four (ending opposition moves, starting our new ones), but Didi, in his new role, has none of Gerrard's dynamicism. "

I thought Alonso was playing Gerrards role so far since Stevies injury. However i did notice that he doesn't push up as much as Stevie used to. Hamman however is just playing the same old holding role as usual, was abit confused with your comments there.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 05:01:29 pm »
Cheers Conrad. :)

Book on the backburner... (spaghetti hoops on the front burner... ;D )

And at just under £11 million, Xabi Alonso is looking like the bargain of the season. One more good performance on Saturday and Xabi ought be be named Premiership player of the month for October.

He won't be far off, will he? (Unless the Mancs' Mike Riley beats him to it! ;D ). But I'd prefer Xabi to not be too hyped by the media at this stage. He's still only 22, which is amazing. He seems 32...

Are you sure about this quote?

"Didi Hamann is doing a fine job ahead of Alonso, with the Spaniard 'sweeping' in front of the back four (ending opposition moves, starting our new ones), but Didi, in his new role, has none of Gerrard's dynamicism. "

I thought Alonso was playing Gerrards role so far since Stevies injury.

Yep, I am sure about it!

Xabi is getting the ball off of the centre backs and conducting matters from there, and from what I've seen, Didi is getting forward more of the two. Didi is still sitting in at times to help break things up, but he's roving more than usual.

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 06:26:16 pm »
I didn't even know dynamicism was a word (and I'm still not 100% convinced).

Great insight and another very well written piece.  Maybe even more optimistic than I think, and people say I live in cuckoo land, but makes me smile.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 06:30:59 pm »
I didn't even know dynamicism was a word (and I'm still not 100% convinced).

It's most likely not a word, and so I've corrected it! I do try to re-write the English language on occasion...

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 07:12:10 pm »

It's most likely not a word, and so I've corrected it! I do try to re-write the English language on occasion...

Damn wanted to slap you for that Mr T- fixed just in time  :wave
Great stuff- again.

Particularly liked this bit...........
Where we can compete - joyously - is in the passing of a football. Only Arsenal have played better passing football than us this season. It makes a nice change from being derided for 'hoofing' every ten seconds. It is not beautiful and entertaining football for the sake of it; is the brand of football that wins the biggest trophies.
It's been a plaeasure to see this season- the speed, the slickness, the awareness that seem to have genetically grafted in to the team.
Oh and apparently there's some lad called Stevie something who'll be back soon too....and I wouldn't bet against Nunez being quality

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 07:29:48 pm »

One of the best pointers for a bright future is Benitez's record in the transfer market.

© Paul Tomkins 2004

a quote with which i am in total agreement, and yet, paradoxically, there are things Rafa has done, well one big one really, that impress me even more...

my impression is that Rafa's knowledge of the Spanish league is comprehensive, and with Valencia going through a rough patch complete with rumoured player discontent with Ranieri, the January window might prove to be very profitable...

and i think El Jefe has a good idea of value in the transfer market as well.  Cisse's price cannot be laid at his door, and the low value for Owen represented choosing a conservative option of gaining something for a player who would have left for free.

but i think Alonso, Josemi, Garcia, and Nunez were brought in for good prices that fit in the club's budgetary structure, and so far, the moves made look to be very good ones...

but the thing with which i am most happy about what Rafa has managed to achieve is that many of the players that were here under Houllier, and who had effectively been written off, are showing themselves to be productive members of the squad.  Finnan's performances this season have been his best to date in a Liverpool shirt; many supporters, including quite a few on this board, had written the player off entirely.  same for players such as Traore, Riise, and Baros to a lesser extent.

even though Rafa has five new players in, and four of them have made massive contirbutions (Alonso, Cisse, Josemi and Garcia...), it is the players who were here, and unhappy and under-productive under Houllier, whose performances best testify to Rafa's management skills.

we still have areas that need to be strengthened, we're probably not ready to challenge for the PL title, but we have mounted a creditable start to the league with a new manager who looks adept at both the transfer market and man-management.

both of which were weak areas under Houllier.

Paul's article clearly outlines the contrasts between past seasons and future prospects.

it's a good time to be a Red... (i know, it's always a good time, but you know what i mean...)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 08:48:05 pm »
Superb  :thumbup
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 11:23:05 pm »
Yes, it sure is great to watch us play football again. This team is going places. :D

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 12:02:39 am »
Excellent post Paul T.

Going to Anfield this year has been a revelation. I can honestly say that the last 2 years have been a struggle to try and whip up the enthusiasm to drive the 200+ miles each way for both midweek and weekend games. Dont even ask how I felt on the drives back after watching what was usually equivalent 90 mins of watching a plank warp.

But this season has been a rafalation (sorry). No more single word answers when people ask what the match was like at work.

my expectations this season with the inherited squad was "as long as we play decent attackin footy, then I dont care if we dont even make the CL. Entertainment, and then progress next year when Rafa sorts out his squad is all I want this year". To say I am pleasantly surprised is an understatement.

And, as you rightly state, this has been done with a minimum outlay really, and a major loss of our top striker (I wonder how many MO would of popped in by now...dont wanna start that can of worms off again tho).

Suffice to say, I am one happy little supporter at the moment (and it was great to see some blood and guts in our guys tonight), and short of a total collapse, I can only see things improving on a regular basis.

For the first time in years I am looking forward to not only the next game, but also the next season.

Rejuvinated exiled scouser!!!!!! :)  :)  ;D

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline RogerE

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 09:43:36 am »
Excellent analysis of our progress under Benitez so far this season. He's exceeded my expectations, getting us playing the kind of fast-paced, attacking football we'd been hoping for.
The players he bought have done really well. Having seen Alonso on the TV, and been to San Sebastian to see Real Sociedad in the last game of the 2002/03 season, I knew he was a world class player. When he and Gerrard form a partnership in central midfield they'll be sensational. Josemi is solid and Luis Garcia has shown flashes of genius.
The jury is still out on Cisse although I'm a bit worried that he's following the path of Diouf ie not scoring goals so being moved to right midfield. His pace makes him more effective than Diouf.
The really encouraging aspect, as afc turkish pointed out, is that some of the players who disappointed in the last couple of seasons have also played well, which is a great testament to Benitez's management skills and tactics.
So far so good!

Offline Tarmo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 11:10:07 am »
Hi, Paul!

I read your stories and think - you sound like Kenny Dalglish! You are always positive, see positive sides. To read english newspapers, then there are written very little positive things about Liverpool. But thank you! Football, especially Liverpool´s, there are much more positive things than criticise the team. We know our team value.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 01:40:45 pm »
Cheers, guys!  :)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 01:57:32 pm »
Good article well done Paul.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 02:39:02 pm »
Cheers Paul, enjoyed the article.

Its good seeing our boys playing teams off the park and by doing this it instills the lads with more confidence. Already its easy to see the players are getting use to each other and the good thing is theres more to come. With players coming back and the new boys getting use to the prem I cant see no reason for us not gatecrashing the top three.

All we have to do now is when having bad days on the pitch, try to come away with a point or sneak a win, thats what Arse and Manure are good at doing.

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 05:32:05 pm »
A good read as per usual ... your comment articles where what first drew me to RAWK ... At the outset of the season many here were saying that 4th place was a realistic target and that we'd be happy to achieve that but that more importantly we wanted to be entertained again ... not the kick and hope football that we've been watching the last few seasons.... it sometimes worked on the break against the bigger teams but more often than not it led to draws and defeats to the lesser sides .... Benitez has the side believing they can take teams apart and with the away games we have coming I have no doubt our away record is about to improve aswell .... if we have anything to revise about our early hopes I don't think 3rd is out of the question now
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 02:02:26 am »
paul do you write on any other formums?????????

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 02:05:04 am »
sorry bout the mistakes on the last post, i meant to say paul do you post on any other liverpool fc forums?

Offline LadyG

• Boys Pen
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 08:04:34 am »
Good article Paul, as always.

I am very happy with the style of football that we are playing and believe that over a period of time we will get even better then be in a position where we can challenge for the league title.

At this stage last season we had 14 points from 10 games and this time round we have 16 points from 9 games and we also have a game in hand.  It's only a small improvement but shows that we are moving in the right direction.

8)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 08:11:03 am »
Cheers, people.

sorry bout the mistakes on the last post, i meant to say paul do you post on any other liverpool fc forums?

No, just here on RAWK.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2004, 11:01:41 am »
Hi,

Another good read as always. Thanks!

I think we have only had 2 semi bad results.

Drawing at Spurs, but it was the first game of the season after all so no complaints there.

Losing at Bolton. They are showing good form and we know we should of taken a good point (If not for the linesman).

We lost away to Man U and Chelsea. But that happens.

The best thing about this season is the way we are beating the "lesser" teams. A bane of ours for so many years. IMO the league is won and lost against those teams. Although we don't have what it takes to win the league this year,  the way we are going about our business is great news.

Much has been said about our forwards not putting the chances away but I have full faith in Cisse. I am convinced that when he starts firing on all cylinders he will be world class. As for Baros. Well he is knocking them in but I still get edgy about his head down approach.

I am very much looking forward to Nunez playing. I have never seen him play and know nothing much about the bloke but he may well be the key to how Rafa spends whatever cash he is given for Jan and indeed next summer.

If Kewell can get back to his best  and maybe a new CB or LB with some pace and distribution skills will make us a lot stronger.

It would be nice this season if we can at least make 4th place easy. Rather than making it a last game of the season job. With luck and consistancy against the lower rated teams maybe even 2nd or 3rd is possible.

Having said all that we are playing great football, getting the results and the main man is sitting in the stands waiting to return.

Stevie G's partnership with Alonso should be awesome to watch once they get a good run together. I hope Rafa and Didi work out how to use him well and keep him interested. I think he is an asset we can ill afford to lose.

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2004, 01:18:50 pm »
The reason we aren't seeing moans about zonal marking is that the opposition are struggling to get the ball to places where we need to mark.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Holiara

• All hail the lovely lady who brings gifts of Baileys to the weary traveller
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2004, 02:21:31 pm »
Good article Paul. Finally someone seeing the positive development without claiming that we will win the triple right away.

As for Cissé playing more on the wing, I think he has a lot more space there and can use his enormous pace a lot better. It was amazing to see how he outclassed the Charlton players and I bet even Gallas or Duff wouldn't catch him. I don't think he gets to play there because he doesn't score, but because he is more effective cutting in from there and not trying to work his way through the middle. Spread out like that the three up front are a lot more flexible and cover the ground better.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2004, 02:28:49 pm »
Cheers, folks. I think it's true - you can be positive and encouraged without it meaning you think LFC will win every trophy on offer.

Interesting reading how disenchanted the Valencia fans are, and how they're missing Rafa.

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2004, 03:26:11 pm »
cheers paul, just wanted to know because there is some imposter on another forum claiming he is you after he was found copy and pasting your articles

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2004, 03:27:49 pm »
cheers paul, just wanted to know because there is some imposter on another forum claiming he is you after he was found copy and pasting your articles

LOL! ;D

Where? On what forum? I can assure you that I haven't posted on another forum for over two years.

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004, 03:29:53 pm »
on liverpool liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums, there is a guy whos been ripping you off, he was caught and claimed he was paul tomkins! so i thought id find out for myself

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2004, 03:33:50 pm »
on liverpool liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums, there is a guy whos been ripping you off, he was caught and claimed he was paul tomkins! so i thought id find out for myself

Couldn't get on that link - said forbidden.  ???  I've never heard of that forum, anyway, but it makes me laugh that there are Paul Tomkins imposters out there!

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2004, 03:38:01 pm »
just go to google and type "liverpool fc discussion" and it will come up first

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2004, 03:39:58 pm »
your imposters name is st.michael if you look in the liverpool fc general discussion forum, your article is in there

Offline Redlady

• Fantasy Football Queen
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2004, 03:57:22 pm »
Kinda sad, really. Funny, but sad.

I never type u instead of you, so that's a good clue for starters.

I don't mind people pasting my articles elsewhere, but not when pretending it's theirs. Still, nice to see he was sussed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 04:12:18 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2004, 06:11:40 pm »
Paul, get your scrap book out and no one will doubt who's the real Mr Tomkins  ;) ;D ;D

The observation on the physical side of the team is very true.  I'll like us to be a bit more aggressive as no doubt other teams will try to physically intidimate us (see what the Mancs do to us,  we needed half the match to find our feet).   

Still a lot of hard work but already we can sense to where Rafa is gearing us.  I just can't wait for every match now as much as for Stevie G to return from injury.   Not that we cannot do without him nowadays (what a far cry from before!), but just anxious to get the partnership with Alonso going.   Happy days!  :D

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2004, 06:53:25 pm »
I think we're showing signs of toughening up in the last few games - Millwall was the latest good example. I'm not sure we have as many physically imposing players as our rivals, but it's up to us to pass better than they do.

Paul, get your scrap book out and no one will doubt who's the real Mr Tomkins  ;) ;D ;D

Ah, the fabled scrapbook...   ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2004, 08:06:14 pm »
Another enjoyable read.Not saying we will challenge for the title, but you never know.To be honest, I think we will finish third,but sometimes things just fall into place.

There are just so much positives to be taken from this season already.The signings Rafa has made have added quality to the squad (don't expect Nunez to be any different), Cisse is already contributing to the team and will start to bang the goals in soon. I'm glad to see Traore is finally getting a chance to show what he is capable of, he's always had that look about him that there is a good player in there that just needs nurturing.I was ready to give up on Finnan, but he has definately got his head down and worked and is improving.

Can't wait til Kewell is fully fit and reproduces the early form and goalscoring that we first saw.People give him stick, but I'm convinced he's still not 100% fit,but his presence on the field alone causes teams worries.When he came on against Charlton, the first time he got the ball, two players where on him.That immediately creates space for someone else as we have a man advantage.

The home performances have been great.It's lovely to once again walk out of Anfield buzzing. I was at both Charlton home games this calendar Year and the difference was massive. Charlton didn't look at all scared of us 6 months ago, that had changed by Saturday.

Didn't see the Millwall game as was away on a short break in Vienna, but from what I have heard we played well.Nice to see the rest of the squad given a run out.

As an aside, flew into Manchester via Zurich with Swiss Air. Saw Stephane Henchoz and his missus waiting to get onto the return flight to Zurich, doubt we will see him play for the Reds again.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline BlueEyes

• Main Stander
  • I love Ayumi :)
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2004, 08:37:44 pm »
The quality of the article is as good as the quality of football we are playing now.  :thumbup :wellin
But why do you write off our title chances? If we continue playing the way we are playing, we would have no problem with Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea.  :D

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 11:24:25 am »
Title's in the bag.
Arsenal are going to go on a 49 game losing streak.
Chelsea are going to sack all their players after it's discovered they are all taking Viagra.
Man Utd will be bought by fans of other clubs, the board will sanction the sale of Wayne Rooney to Wimbledon AFC for tuppence.  Rio Ferdinand will be sold to Chelsea who will instantly sack him.  Alan Smith will be sent back to Leeds and made to kiss the shirt.  Van Nistelrooy will be taken in part exchange for Magnier/ Magnus shares and entered in the 3.40 at Epsom.  Christiano Ronaldo will be made to watch endless repeats of the European Championships final.

P
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

mark worthington

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2004, 02:35:43 pm »
Great post Paul, I always look forward to your articles that I think are the most insightful observations on LFC available anywhere. FYI we had the Charlton game live in Sydney and the Blackburn game is live Sun morning at 2:15am, can't wait. Regards