Author Topic: Scouse recipes.  (Read 44083 times)

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
Re: Scouse recipes.
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2008, 09:48:07 am »
are oxo cubes allowed?  ;D

i'm just about to make a pan of scouse....or lobscouse to be precise.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:08 am »

yes, OXOs are definitely  allowed in scouse. this thread always makes me hungry  ;D

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:42 pm »

Not only allowed but compulsory.  If you wish to remain true to your heritage, all these "meat specific" stock cubes should be firmly kicked into touch - along with that "roux" bollix.  Totally inapplicable to scouse. 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:48:13 pm by Maggie May »
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Paul 14

• Main Stander
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2008, 12:28:58 pm »
We always used a big pressure cooker and just threw everything in together, none of this frying the meat first upper class nonsense.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2008, 12:30:20 pm »
jolly good stuff. Tis in the pan simmering away, hopefully it will be ready when i get back from work tonight. yum yum.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2008, 12:54:58 pm »
We always used a big pressure cooker and just threw everything in together, none of this frying the meat first upper class nonsense.

Clearly your family were clearly just negligent, ignorant, slovenly cooks.

And what's with this "upper class nonsense" bit?

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2008, 07:02:19 pm »
I still use my nan's pressure cooker to make scouse.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2008, 10:51:34 pm »
Not only allowed but compulsory.

I didn't realise the Vikings had Oxo?

The simple facts are, you can't trust Liverpudlians to make proper Scouse. The Vikings landed in Birkenhead. They made Lobscouse in Birkenhead. We gave you a few meaty cast-offs a few hundred years later, and now you all think you're fooking experts. You can stick your pressure cookers, your Oxo, your fried meat and your whole fucking onions up your quimholes.

We're the real Scousers - you're a bunch of Plazzies.  :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:55:45 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2008, 09:47:58 am »
You can stick your Oxo, your fried meat and your whole fucking onions up your quimholes.

Would that improve the flavour? How long should they be up there? Overnight?

Agreed about pressure cookers though, terrifying things, should be banned. I still have nightmares about the one we had when I was a kid.
Legacy fan

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:28 am »
I didn't realise the Vikings had Oxo?

Well of course the Vikings had Oxo.  In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Vikings didn't invent Oxo for purely practical purposes.  It must have been an absolute bugger rowing the longships massive distances as it was, without having to render down beef cattle along the way to use as a flavour enhancer for when you landed in Liverpool and wanted to make your scouse.  Very messy and the fire hazard in wooden ships would be a significant health and safety issue.

How much more sensible to do all this in Viking land before you set off to rape and pillage.  Then each man could have an Oxo cube spiked on the horns of his helmet, all ready to crumble into the scouse after a hard day laying waste to the countryside. 

Just imagine.  You come back to your camp totally knackered after sacking churches and villages, plundering, looting and setting fire to everything in sight, and you're faced with watery scouse?  It doesn't bear thinking about does it?  No wonder some of them were deemed "Berserkers" - obviously they were the poor sods who didn't have Oxo in their scouse.  Odin help us, its enough to send the mildest mannered Viking marauder into one.

Agreed about pressure cookers though, terrifying things, should be banned. I still have nightmares about the one we had when I was a kid.

Oh yeah.  I still vividly recollect the "clunk" as the weights fell off and the seemingly unending jet of scalding scouse hit the ceiling.  *Shudders*

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2008, 11:23:26 am »
So Maggie, where may I find your Official Scouse recipe?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2008, 11:33:56 am »
Oh yeah.  I still vividly recollect the "clunk" as the weights fell off and the seemingly unending jet of scalding scouse hit the ceiling.  *Shudders*

We used to have to put the pressure cooker on when we got home from school so it was ready when my mum got home from work. I remember me and my brother standing terrified in the garden outside the kitchen door as the pressure cooker sat there on the hob with the weight rattling away like crazy, steam going everywhere and the pan looking like it was about to explode. Eventually I summoned up the nerve to sneak in and turn the gas off, expecting to be covered in scalding stew at any moment.

Got a right earful later as it wasn't ready  :(
Legacy fan

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2008, 12:10:48 pm »
We used to have to put the pressure cooker on when we got home from school so it was ready when my mum got home from work. I remember me and my brother standing terrified in the garden outside the kitchen door as the pressure cooker sat there on the hob with the weight rattling away like crazy, steam going everywhere and the pan looking like it was about to explode. Eventually I summoned up the nerve to sneak in and turn the gas off, expecting to be covered in scalding stew at any moment.

Got a right earful later as it wasn't ready  :(

I share your pain.

My Gran was in charge of the cooking.  Which seems idyllic when you think of the skills and craft that can be brought to gran-like cooking - picture a dear little old lady lovingly and carefully tending a delicious meal for her beloved family, and suchlike.  Which, to be fair,  she unfailingly did except when Wimbledon fortnight was on.  Then she was glued to the telly and we could all either piss off and eat chips or suffer her appalling pressure cooked scouse. 

Everyone was terrified to go into the kitchen, and we lived in fear of the sodding pressure cooker hissing and snarling away within.  It's not nice, is it, having worked hard all day, to innocently wander into the kitchen looking for a butty to tide you over, and be scalded half to death by cascading molten scouse and end up in Walton Burns Unit is it?

So Maggie, where may I find your Official Scouse recipe?

Nowhere mate.  No chance.  Ever.   ;D

Though just to enliven the debate, I firmly state that it is impossible to make proper scouse unless the water comes from Lake Vernwy. 

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2008, 12:50:19 pm »
Nowhere mate.  No chance.  Ever.   ;D

Though just to enliven the debate, I firmly state that it is impossible to make proper scouse unless the water comes from Lake Vernwy. 

:(  And I was hungry too...!

I'll have to be a heathen and use someone else's recipe... *sigh*

Anyone going to post their recipe for me?  I'll use the one Maggie gets least angry about...  ;D
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2008, 01:23:42 pm »
:(  And I was hungry too...!

I'll have to be a heathen and use someone else's recipe... *sigh*

Anyone going to post their recipe for me?  I'll use the one Maggie gets least angry about...  ;D

Well I'd go with DBD's recipe as he is the Scouse King.  But he tends to make scouse in industrial quantities, so you'd either need a very large freezer or 4,999 others to help you out.   :D

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:39 pm »
I think I'm making one last panful for a football tournament this Sunday. The one I did last Saturday was very peppery but very well received.

I've been told about a place where I can buy 55lb sacks of peeled potatoes, that should save me a job.
Legacy fan

Offline marmalizer

• Main Stander
« Reply #96 on: May 1, 2008, 12:05:34 am »
Oh, and don't forget the brown sauce and beetroot for the Scouse  :lickin :lickin

No mate.... piccalilli !!!!!  :o   :lickin
Please check out my sponsorship page for the wirral bikeathon....  http://www.justgiving.com/trav-wirralbikeathon

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 1, 2008, 09:32:03 am »
I think I'm making one last panful for a football tournament this Sunday. The one I did last Saturday was very peppery but very well received.

I've been told about a place where I can buy 55lb sacks of peeled potatoes, that should save me a job.

See what I mean, Rox? ::)

And DBD's being somehat modest when he refers to a "panful".  I reckon he makes his scouse in a cauldron.   ;D

Offline DowntheLine1981

• Ignorant of the Dhamma
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici
    • Work's MySpace page....
« Reply #98 on: May 7, 2008, 10:12:48 am »
Had a panful of me Ma's scouse last night and it had peas in - YEAH!  THAT'S RIGHT!!  PEAS!!!

....and it was immense!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
~Aristotle

"The trouble with having an open mind is that people will come along and try to put things in it."
~Terry Pratchett

“If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #99 on: May 7, 2008, 10:51:37 am »
OK let's put this to bed.

Stewing steak (as it's cheaper and so 'in the spirit' of the thing). Get it diced up an simmering, as this takes the longest to cook. You don't need to roll it in flour and fry it - just bung it straight in the water.

Then start peeling and chopping up your onions and root veg. ie spuds, carrots, swede, turnip (parsnip optional but I always use them meself as it's only used to feed the animals over in France so that makes it 'in the spirit'). NO PEAS. NO GREEN STUFF. I love green stuff, but it don't go in this!

Bung it all in and simmer - don't boil violently (some old Irish woman told me that - not sure if it makes much difference meself). You can add veg. stock cube but you don't really need to, and a large measure of mixed herbs - this meal is a classic case of something adding up to more than the sum of its parts. You can mix some water and flour and add it to thicken it up a bit quicker but I find flour always kills off a bit of the flavour - best just to let the spuds break up.

Living in Wimbledon I have to pretend to put balsamic vinegar in it otherwise it woulld be deemed inedible.

For best results make it at least yesterday. Best served with beetroot, brown sauce (Branston Rich and Fruity recommended), and crusty bread with blocks of cold butter on it.

I usually get one bowl and me Wimbledon wifey and this posh kid eat the fuckin' lot before I get another chance. I've started serving dumplings with it now but that's just so I can actually fill meself up on me one bowl and nothing to do with true scouse.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2008, 10:53:45 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 7, 2008, 11:04:53 am »
"Mixed herbs" and "dumplings" in scouse.  Shame on you.  Heretic.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 7, 2008, 11:13:27 am »
"Mixed herbs" and "dumplings" in scouse.  Shame on you.  Heretic.

I stand by my basic recipe, and me dear ol' mum used to used to make me run down to the greengrocers on Utting Avenue in me brown leather helmet and me jerkin to get a bag of mixed herbs which I think in those days was something that only existed for putting in scouse - so there!

Edit: They might have been called pot-herbs or maybe me brain is playing tricks on me - it's always doin' that, the little bugger.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2008, 11:20:37 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 7, 2008, 11:21:21 am »

I stand by my basic memory, and me dear ol' mum used to used to make me run down to the greengrocers on Utting Avenue in me brown leather helmet and me jerkin to get a bag of mixed herbs which I think in those days was something that only existed for putting in scouse - so there!

How long ago was your basic memory? 

I've never, ever, heard of herbs being put into scouse. 

And I see you've ignored the disgusting dumpling point.   

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 7, 2008, 11:37:35 am »
How long ago was your basic memory? 

I've never, ever, heard of herbs being put into scouse. 

And I see you've ignored the disgusting dumpling point.   

My basic memory was a senior typing moment - since edited.

The greengrocers on Utting Avenue were obviously the nouvelle cuisine, avant garde of the fifties and sixties - in fact I'm sure one of the blokes in there used to have a tantrum every now and then now that I think of it.

The use of dumplings, as explained, is merely a survival technique.

You talk a good fight missus, but I bet you secretly garnish your scouse with sun-dried tomatoes, and only use salt that's made from the evaporated tears of some rare Bolivian butterfly. Seen your type before - oh yes.

NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 7, 2008, 11:57:05 am »
FUCKIN' 'ELL!!

I don't believe this! I've just started doin' some kippers (just the shit ones in a plastic box from tesco's cos the fish shop has finally closed) and they've got a little slab of sun-dried-tomato and basil butter on them! ON KIPPERS!!!!!! :no :no :no

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #105 on: May 7, 2008, 12:03:19 pm »
You talk a good fight missus, but I bet you secretly garnish your scouse with sun-dried tomatoes, and only use salt that's made from the evaporated tears of some rare Bolivian butterfly. Seen your type before - oh yes.

:wellin

*sits-back-and-waits-for-Maggie's-riposte-with-barely-concealed-glee*
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 7, 2008, 12:10:28 pm »

My basic memory was a senior typing moment - since edited.

Ah.  "pot herbs".  I do recollect them.  But I don't recollect them ever being introduced into our scouse.  Mind you, we did live in Wavertree, so perhaps the concepts of haute cuisine did not impact on our consciousness.

The greengrocers on Utting Avenue were obviously the nouvelle cuisine, avant garde of the fifties and sixties - in fact I'm sure one of the blokes in there used to have a tantrum every now and then now that I think of it.

Aye.  Clearly arse bandits.  Noted for it in Utting Avenue.  My aunty would never allow my cousin ride his bike anywhere near there.

The use of dumplings, as explained, is merely a survival technique.

NO excuses.  It is heresy.  Any half decent Scouser would instantly choose to starve rather than defile the sacred dish with ....... dumplings.  It is beyond disgusting.

How very, very, utterly fucking very, dare you.

I am distraught and shall have to have a lie down now. 

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 7, 2008, 12:13:43 pm »

Aye.  Clearly arse bandits.  Noted for it in Utting Avenue.  My aunty would never allow my cousin ride his bike anywhere near there.

At least he could ride his bike. My arse was alwys killing me and I can never remember why.

NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #108 on: May 7, 2008, 01:44:33 pm »
Note to self - remember to clean big pot immediately after using it, not two weeks later. Had to do it from a distance with the jetwasher, there were living things in it  :o
Legacy fan

Offline martinjmmac5

• Kopite
  • ANGELS
« Reply #109 on: May 8, 2008, 12:37:43 am »
NO FUCKIN PEAS
add some celery its mingin but not in scouse. in fact give me £50 and i'll get sheila mc (me mum) to knock up as much as ya want, hers is boss, her cousin always fones her and gets her to make loads for church fetes and stuff in st francis in garston.
Angels regular. Kim's got a lovely little set an a crackin' tush for an auld bird

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 8, 2008, 11:27:43 am »
At least he could ride his bike. My arse was alwys killing me and I can never remember why.

Aye.  You will recollect you tried the same excuse with the "bag of mixed herbs" business.  But since you were allowed to prance about in a leather flying helmet and a pert little jerkin in a confined space with known pillow biters, its hardly surprising is it?  That sort of carry on would never be permitted in Wavertree, where shirtlifters were routinely hunted down and killed, whereas Utting Avenue?  Well .......  ::)

How very dare you (again).  I've been posting on this board for four years and I've never been so insulted. 

Just because one is skilled in the art of haute cuisine and knows one end of a sun dried tomato from another, does not mean that one would defile the sacred dish with an inappopriate garnish.  Oh no dearie.  Not me dearie.  How very dare you.

Just because one has not just one but two.  Two - I say again, threads dedicated to one's culinary arts, and specifically sources obscure products from all countries of the world (including, obviously, the dried tears of a rare Bolivian butterfly - which, incidentally, is now extinct on account of its reacting badly to having its tears extracted - but hey, I've got a really large jar of the stuff, so its not all doom and gloom is it?), does not mean that one would sprinkle inappropriate salt on the dish of our heritage when the traditional Saxa is freely available does it?   

NO FUCKIN PEAS
add some celery its mingin but not in scouse.

Celery in scouse?  I've never heard the like.  Are you possessed by demons? 

Although I do agree that one should never fuck peas.  I think that would be very difficult anyway unless one had a very large pea, or unless several small peas were pureed or softened (as in the case of mushy peas) so they did not roll about and scatter all over the place on receipt of a thrust. 

But then again, what if one was unable, on the sight of a helping of mushy peas, to suppress one's urges in a chipshop?  Bad enough if the peas are in one's own order, (which I think would be an understandable cause for remark), but what if an innocent person, ordering a fish supper with mushy peas on the side, is innocently sprinkling salt and vinegar on their meal, when some total stranger trusts their knob into their dinner and sets to?  It doesn't bear thinking about really, does it?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 8, 2008, 12:52:47 pm »
NO FUCKIN PEAS
Although I do agree that one should never fuck peas.  I think that would be very difficult anyway unless one had a very large pea, or unless several small peas were pureed or softened (as in the case of mushy peas) so they did not roll about and scatter all over the place on receipt of a thrust. 

But then again, what if one was unable, on the sight of a helping of mushy peas, to suppress one's urges in a chipshop?  Bad enough if the peas are in one's own order, (which I think would be an understandable cause for remark), but what if an innocent person, ordering a fish supper with mushy peas on the side, is innocently sprinkling salt and vinegar on their meal, when some total stranger trusts their knob into their dinner and sets to?  It doesn't bear thinking about really, does it?
:lmao

How on earth am i supposed to go back to work after reading that?! still got tears running down my face...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 8, 2008, 01:50:08 pm »

Just because one has not just one but two.  Two - I say again, threads dedicated to one's culinary arts, and specifically sources obscure products from all countries of the world (including, obviously, the dried tears of a rare Bolivian butterfly - which, incidentally, is now extinct on account of its reacting badly to having its tears extracted - but hey, I've got a really large jar of the stuff, so its not all doom and gloom is it?), does not mean that one would sprinkle inappropriate salt on the dish of our heritage when the traditional Saxa is freely available does it?   

Can I just state clearly, for the record, that I never have nor ever will, condone the forced desalination of lepidoptera. Having said that, I am pleased to inform you that the 'Cochabamba Blue' is not extinct as I have the last remaining one as a pet. He's a particularly morose character and all I need to do is show him a faded photo of the altiplano and that usually kicks him off.

With regard to Utting Avenue, I must say we are a broad church, but unlike Wavertree we do not tolerate legumaphiles. Sexual activity 'in chippy' may well have originated the phrases 'vinegar strokes', 'cod piece', etc. but I can assure you such activity if it occured at all in Utting Avenue, was confined to the privacy of the pantry - though the old fashioned tin-openers did render the activity fraught with danger.

My only memories of Wavertree as a child are of being constantly harrassed by hoards of local perverts lurking in the bushes at the Liverpool Show. Now who were they trying to attract when they called that bloody big park a 'playground' hmmm. It may be a 'mystery' to you matey, but not to the rest of us.

Regarding celery: Celery should be eaten raw or not at all.

I will also not tolerate any further disparaging comments about my brown leather helmet (though the connatations are plain to see). Sure it's a little bit tight nowadays, but perfectly serviceable nevertheless.

Point me towards your other culinary threads if you dare!
« Last Edit: May 8, 2008, 01:59:25 pm by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 9, 2008, 10:44:48 am »
Can I just state clearly, for the record, that I never have nor ever will, condone the forced desalination of lepidoptera. Having said that, I am pleased to inform you that the 'Cochabamba Blue' is not extinct as I have the last remaining one as a pet. He's a particularly morose character and all I need to do is show him a faded photo of the altiplano and that usually kicks him off.

So one of the little buggers escaped did he?  Hmmm.  Most irritating.  I was given to understand that we'd got the lot.  Hardly surprising that he's morose though is it, given that he's the last of his breed and the likelihood of him ever getting his antennae over is extremely remote. 

With regard to Utting Avenue, I must say we are a broad church, but unlike Wavertree we do not tolerate legumaphiles. Sexual activity 'in chippy' may well have originated the phrases 'vinegar strokes', 'cod piece', etc. but I can assure you such activity if it occured at all in Utting Avenue, was confined to the privacy of the pantry - though the old fashioned tin-openers did render the activity fraught with danger.

It hardly behoves you to say that Utting Avenue does not tolerate legumaphiles 'in chippy' when darker and more unseemly activity was clearly condoned in the local greengrocers.  Being overcome by the urge of the moment and walloping one's knob into a stranger's dinner pales into insignificance compared with deliberately sending leather clad, short trousered small boys to request  "a big bunch of herbs" from a known bender does it not?

My only memories of Wavertree as a child are of being constantly harrassed by hoards of local perverts lurking in the bushes at the Liverpool Show. Now who were they trying to attract when they called that bloody big park a 'playground' hmmm. It may be a 'mystery' to you matey, but not to the rest of us.

Stuff and nonsense.  They were merely inviting us to admire the miracles of nature.  Plus, they were kind local men who were forever ready to give us children a hand up to the monkey ladder and to sit underneath us as we swung, to break our fall should we slip and be hurt on the concrete beneath.  They were also always there to encourage our agility on the parallel bars, showing us various ways to throw ourselves backwards while they obligingly held our feet.  And if we did hurt ourselves, they were always there to rub our injuries better and hug us for ever such a long while.  I am deeply shocked that you would place such a foul interpretation on such kindly deeds.  Shame on you.

Regarding celery: Celery should be eaten raw or not at all.

Celery may also be braised.  Obviously.   ::)

I will also not tolerate any further disparaging comments about my brown leather helmet (though the connatations are plain to see). Sure it's a little bit tight nowadays, but perfectly serviceable nevertheless.

So you still feel the need to wear it do you?  Interesting.  Is this to relive your childhood memories of close encounters around the fruit and two veg, or do other urges overcome you from time to time which compel you to masquerade as Biggles?  Do you have a friend (or an imaginary friend) you call "Ginger".  Do you have lots of exciting boyish adventures together? 

Point me towards your other culinary threads if you dare!
Aha.  Seek and ye shall find .........
« Last Edit: May 9, 2008, 10:49:24 am by Maggie May »

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #114 on: May 9, 2008, 11:34:28 am »
This is what labskaus looks like in Hamburg:

If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 9, 2008, 11:42:51 am »
So one of the little buggers escaped did he?  Hmmm.  Most irritating.  I was given to understand that we'd got the lot.  Hardly surprising that he's morose though is it, given that he's the last of his breed and the likelihood of him ever getting his antennae over is extremely remote. 

Archie the butterfly, you will be happy to hear, has found his own little way of not only relieving the pressure, but supplying us with another rich source of salt.

It hardly behoves you to say that Utting Avenue does not tolerate legumaphiles 'in chippy' when darker and more unseemly activity was clearly condoned in the local greengrocers.  Being overcome by the urge of the moment and walloping one's knob into a stranger's dinner pales into insignificance compared with deliberately sending leather clad, short trousered small boys to request  "a big bunch of herbs" from a known bender does it not?

It is, in my opinion, the penultimate crime against the 'self' to have ones victuals violated by an opportunist sexual predator of innocent comestibles -  and can I also say it is dreadful manners.

Stuff and nonsense.  They were merely inviting us to admire the miracles of nature.  Plus, they were kind local men who were forever ready to give us children a hand up to the monkey ladder and to sit underneath us as we swung, to break our fall should we slip and be hurt on the concrete beneath.  They were also always there to encourage our agility on the parallel bars, showing us various ways to throw ourselves backwards while they obligingly held our feet.  And if we did hurt ourselves, they were always there to rub our injuries better and hug us for ever such a long while.  I am deeply shocked that you would place such a foul interpretation on such kindly deeds.  Shame on you.

Well I reckon you were askin' for it. Why didn't you just tuck yer skirt in yer knickers like everyone else.

Celery may also be braised.  Obviously.   ::)

You can indeed braise celery, but the question is, "Should you"? And the answer of course is, "Should you bollocks"! Why fuck up some perfectly nice celery? It can of course be used in the making of stocks - this is permissible.

So you still feel the need to wear it do you?  Interesting.  Is this to relive your childhood memories of close encounters around the fruit and two veg, or do other urges overcome you from time to time which compel you to masquerade as Biggles?  Do you have a friend (or an imaginary friend) you call "Ginger".  Do you have lots of exciting boyish adventures together? 

The continued use of said helmet is sadly not a matter of choice. After a particularly heavy downpour in the late sixties it shrank to the point where surgery was required for its removal. The NHS sadly no longer performs this service.

Aha.  Seek and ye shall find .........

Unfortunately I am of little faith.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2008, 11:45:50 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 9, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
This is what labskaus looks like in Hamburg:

If that is in any way related to scouse then it is the rather embarrassing and feeble-minded second cousin that is kept incarcerated in the west wing.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #117 on: May 9, 2008, 01:10:20 pm »

If that is in any way related to scouse then it is the rather embarrassing and feeble-minded second cousin that is kept incarcerated in the west wing.

;D

It's actually quite tasty though. Like corned beef hash.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 9, 2008, 02:03:13 pm »
;D

It's actually quite tasty though. Like corned beef hash.

Being a lover of all food, I'm sure it is, and if I ever find myself confronted with it, it will be duly dispatched.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #119 on: May 9, 2008, 02:33:02 pm »

Being a lover of all food, I'm sure it is, and if I ever find myself confronted with it, it will be duly dispatched.

Same here. Might leave that slug on the side of the plate though, not too keen on slugs.
Legacy fan