Author Topic: Tony Pulis has left Stoke (and Palace now)  (Read 60155 times)

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke
« Reply #240 on: May 25, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »
Tony Pulis' #BPL record with Stoke City:
Played 190, Won 56, Drew 57, Lost 77. Win percentage: 29%

:o

can sparky emulate all the hard work done by Tony Pooles

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #241 on: May 25, 2013, 02:00:14 pm »
Stoke have an excellent chance of becoming a Fulham/Swansea ish team if they make the right choices this summer. I don't actually mind them so I hope they do make the right decisions.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2013, 03:37:06 pm »
I couldn't stand the hypocritical c*nt.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #243 on: May 25, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »
Tony Pulis' #BPL record with Stoke City:
Played 190, Won 56, Drew 57, Lost 77. Win percentage: 29%

:o

Given that a good manager has a win % of 50% or slightly higher, and a great manager closer to 60%, then 29% is about average. 50% is basically the "100%", if you will. So if a good manager is expected to win half of his games, then 29% isn't that far off the top level.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Dani LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2013, 01:04:42 am »

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:21 am »
One of my Stoke mates said he saw a banner near the Britannia with "Hughes Out" written on it. ;D
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2013, 10:17:31 am »
I was reading on the Stoke forums that a bloke has put "Hughes Out!" on the side of his lorry!

Can't blame them. Seems that the problem with Hughes is his agent. They were saying on FiveLive last night about how agents run the game and have a huge say in where players go, and it seems that Hughes is one of the biggest victims of this as his own agent is also the agent of half the players he signed at QPR. Not sure how much of this is true but it kind of half explains some of his decline.

This is also interesting...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/23/mark-hughes-lost-spark-qpr

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
Re: Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2013, 10:27:13 am »
Quote from: johnny74
. Seems that the problem with Hughes is his agent. They were saying on FiveLive last night about how agents run the game and have a huge say in where players go, and it seems that Hughes is one of the biggest victims of this as his own agent is also the agent of half the players he signed at QPR. Not sure how much of this is true but it kind of half explains some of his decline.

This is also interesting...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/23/mark-hughes-lost-spark-qpr
"...he confessed after last week's home defeat against Southampton that he had no idea where things were going wrong."

And that same statement (more or less) sealed his fate at City when we went through a bad spell under him.

The problem with Hughes is indeed his agent. If the Coates family keep him on a tight rein then he might remember what made him a good manager at Blackburn.

Offline MacJanner

• Absolute useless poster; his style of play cons no one into thinking he's a decent writer.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Lenin doesn't like me.
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:31 am »
Anybody know why Steven Nzonzi put in a transfer request?

Nice back-up for Lucas?  :-X

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2013, 10:54:33 am »
Given that a good manager has a win % of 50% or slightly higher, and a great manager closer to 60%, then 29% is about average. 50% is basically the "100%", if you will. So if a good manager is expected to win half of his games, then 29% isn't that far off the top level.
I get the 60% thing. But the 77/190 games lost is appalling given the amount of money he spent (and given all the shit he spouts)

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2013, 10:56:32 am »
One of my Stoke mates said he saw a banner near the Britannia with "Hughes Out" written on it. ;D
:lmao I don't blame them at all in the circumstances

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2013, 10:59:49 am »
Thing is with Hughes, it's all very well saying that just keep him away from the transfers and he won't be too bad, but an overhaul of the squad is exactly what Stoke need. Getting in people so they aren't dependent on whether the manager is a good scout is vital for me. Gives them that sense of continuity if he fails as well. Only need to look at clubs like West Brom and Swansea to see that half the battle in the Prem is having the right infrastructure in place.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2013, 12:14:18 pm »
Hughes is, without a shadow of a doubt, in the top 3 worst realistic appointments that they could make, he really is. Keep him away at all costs. They should be canvassing the likes of Martinez, showing him that the club can get bigger and better and he'd have a side already well-drilled defensively and a sizable transfer budget.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2013, 12:20:38 pm »
If they were smart, forward thinking bunch, they'd hire someone like Rene Meulensteen who is very well respected within the game, worked with Ferguson at United and arguably was doing all the tactical & technical work on the training ground. Clarke didn't do too bad at WBA and it at least show that they have the guts to take a brave decisions.

Appointing someone like Hughes is exactly what they don't need at the moment.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2013, 12:33:40 pm »
"Mark Hughes edges closer to Stoke City manager's job"

Frying pan, fire.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
Re: Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2013, 12:43:16 pm »
If they were smart, forward thinking bunch...
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline Lucaspool FC

• Kopite
« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »
Man I glanced at the topic and thought Tony Pulis had a stroke. Oh well going to be interesting to see what happens to Stoke now.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2013, 02:58:41 pm »
Knowing that Pulis took them into the BPL but hiring Hughes is going to put their club in danger of relegation.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2013, 03:59:55 pm »
Just look at Hughes signings for QPR, look at them. Unbelievable, in terms of wages, price and overall success -
Nedum Onouha £3m 55k a week. Silly wages, but on the face of it arguably not a bad buy for a young player from Man City.

Djibril Cisse £4m 60k a week. Could have gone either way, went badly. Had a combustible time at Sunderland and his journeyman status should have been a warning.

Bobby Zamora £6m 70k a week. A real eye waterer, this one. Clearly injuries had wrecked him and his form had deserted him at least six months previously. Fulham were actively looking to get rid, and they got a great price for an average striker. Awful signing.

Samba Diakite £3.5m 45k a week. Bad signing. Couldn't get in the team under Redknapp and is remembered largely for a string of yellow cards and some idiotic sending-offs.

Andy Johnson 40k a week. Clearly past it three years ago, never mind when they signed him.

Ryan Nelsen 35k a week. Decent signing, became a stalwart.

Stephane M'Bia £5m 55k a week. On the face of it, signing a title-winning player from Marseille who had been decent in Ligue 1 for a few seasons. Has been ok but underwhelming. I feel we can let him off for this one.

Robert Green 50k a week. Replaced by Julio Cesar in week 2 of the campaign.

Julio Cesar 75k a week. Silly wages, but is included on the one hand you can use to count Hughes' good signings. A bit of an embarrassing one for Hughes and Green.

Park Ji-Sung. £2m 70k a week. Has done poorly, but another one that looked a decent signing having been a stalwart for a very successful Man Utd side.

Junior Hoilett. 60k a week. Again, looked a decent buy but he clearly moved for the money. Has been dreadful after a promising start at Blackburn.

Esteban Granero £4m 65k a week. Fish out of water. Seemed like they were only signing him because he played for Real Madrid. The kind of signing that looks ok on the face of things, but shows that Hughes gave absolutely no consideration to how he was going to fit this player in with the rest of the team.

Jose Bosingwa. 70k a week. Heavy is the head that wears the crown, and that royal prize is gifted to Jose Bosingwa, easily the worst signing of the lot. Bosingwa s a symbol of QPR's problems, representing a bad value buy for a player past his best and happy to collect his pay-checks. Was awful when he played too. A classic Hughes buy. He came from Chelsea, he must be good. Bosingwa didn't miss the hilarity of QPR's situation when he left the pitch laughing following relegation. Probably wondered how many tickets needed to be sold in The Championship to pay his massive wages.

There you have it. Procrastination from me, but a little look at Hughes's diabolical year at QPR. He's ruined them, truly he has. Stoke be warned.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:58 pm »
I was hoping Hughes was getting the Everton job.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
I was hoping Hughes was getting the Everton job.
Think we all were mate. Until Martinez signs on the dotted line, we can hope for O'Neill to pip him to the post.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2013, 03:25:31 am »
This makes little sense.

I can understand old Ballcaps approach wearing thin and it being time for a change.  But Hughes is a truly bizarre choice.

They'd be much better off getting Steve Clarke as a coach and telling him they'll back him in the market with the same spending power they've shown the past 3 years under Ballcap. 

They spend enough to be in the top 8 and have a go at the Cup competitions, not to be fighting relegation.

Hughes work at QPR should make him toxic to any owner who wants to spend money in the transfer market.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2013, 03:50:23 am »
This headline   :o

Stoke City see Mark Hughes as the manager with an eye for a bargain
Mark Hughes is likely to be appointed Stoke City’s manager within 48 hours and will be assured of funds to spend this summer, though his budget will be vastly reduced in comparison to his former club, Queens Park Rangers.

By John Percy

10:30PM BST 28 May 2013

Hughes has held further discussions with Stoke and could be named as Tony Pulis’s successor even on Wednesday, with the 49-year-old expected to agree a 12-month rolling contract.

The Welshman has been told there will be money to strengthen his squad but it will be nowhere near the £24 million he spent in two transfer windows at QPR.

Hughes has attracted fierce criticism for some of his more extravagant signings with Rangers, but Stoke will ask him to provide bargain recruitments with an eye on potential resale value.

Peter Coates, the chairman, is keen for the new manager to improve Stoke’s record in the transfer market after recent signings, including Peter Crouch, Kenwyne Jones, Wilson Palacios and Charlie Adam, cost more than £25 million but were frequently left out of the starting XI last season.

It means Hughes will be under pressure to emulate his successful trading at Blackburn Rovers, where he signed the likes of Christopher Samba, Roque Santa Cruz and Ryan Nelsen for modest fees.

Hughes, who was sacked by QPR in November, will also attempt to lower costs by offloading fringe players on substantial wages.

Six players, including Michael Owen, Jermaine Pennant and Dean Whitehead, will leave the club officially next month, saving more than £100,000 a week, but Coates remains determined to cut costs.

Player sales will go towards Hughes’s transfer kitty, with Asmir Begovic, the £15 million rated goalkeeper, likely to attract interest from Premier League clubs.

Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Bayern Munich have all shown interest in the Bosnia international in the past and Begovic’s sale will infinitely improve Hughes’s chances of revamping the squad.

Stoke are hoping to become entirely self-sufficient after the Coates family, who have made their fortune through online gambling giant Bet365, paid out a £7 million interest free loan in the previous season.

Millions have also been pumped into the academy at the Clayton Wood training ground and Hughes will work closely alongside technical director Mark Cartwright in an attempt to improve the amount of home-grown youngsters stepping up to the first team.

Cartwright’s growing influence ensures that Hughes is unlikely to recruit Mike Rigg, his long-serving technical director at Manchester City, Blackburn and QPR.

However, assistant Mark Bowen and first-team coach Eddie Niedzwiecki are on standby to join Hughes at the Britannia Stadium when his appointment is confirmed.

Stoke’s supporters appear to be split in their views on the incoming manager, though options have been limited to the Coates family with Roberto Martinez poised to join Everton, while Roberto Di Matteo has other offers and made it clear the job was not for him at this time.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/stoke-city/10085247/Stoke-City-see-Mark-Hughes-as-the-manager-with-an-eye-for-a-bargain.html

Most of the bargain work associated with Hughes was when he was at Blackburn. Hughes began his spell at Blackburn eight years ago. They were great his first season when they finished 6th. Bentley was a good buy for under £2m. Bellamy wasn't exactly cheap at at the time for £5m, but was a good signing. Getting Samba for £450,000 was excellent business. And Benni McCarthy for under £4m was also good. Santa Cruz was excellent for a season at £3.5m But Jason Roberts was a similar price to McCarthy and was poor. Maceo Rigters was clearly a tournament fever buy that was poor. He left Blackburn in 2008. The likes of O'Neill and Redknapp were considered to have good jobs with Villa and Portsmouth at the time. Would either of them be approached for the Stoke job now? Unlikely.

The two best buys he made at City were Kompany and Zabaleta for under £7m apiece. But some of the money he spent at City was absolutely daft. £18m for Jo. £10m on Wayne Bridge. £5m on Tal-Ben Haim who played nine times for City. £14m on Bellamy who would only play 40 games for City. £18m on Roque Santa Cruz, who made 20 appearances for them. The bizarre stint at Fulham probably somewhat rehabilitated him, which ended with him leaving due to their lack of ambition, or was it because he thought he was getting the Villa job. He did sign Dembele. But then he probably undid most of that with QPR and the money (fees and wages) squandered on Zamora, Cisse, Andy Johnson, Park Ji-Sung, Bosingwa, the Green-Cesar debacle etc.

I think if he screws up the Stoke job, he'll be finished as a top flight manager.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2013, 04:23:10 am »

You say shite like that again, and I'll fucking back you up. Off a fucking cliff.  :P
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2013, 11:38:59 am »
I thought the Chairman of the club had some vision for the future to adapt a new style of play and try and take that next step in the league to bridge the gap into the top 8. No, they went for a quintessential boring average manager. What an uninspiring appointment. How Hughes continues to get premier league jobs is baffling as he's hardly done anything of note in his career so far.
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:38 pm »
It's laughable they're even considering Hughes.

He'll take them backward no doubt
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2013, 12:09:16 pm »
My theory is that there just aren't that many good British managers in the game now so teams with less progressive owners/DOF's will appoint shite british managers rather than looking abroad. So it was pretty much Hughes, Arry or O Neill who probably even got considered for this job.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2013, 12:25:03 pm »
Baffling. Not only that he doesn't know how to sign good players, he is also an awful tactician.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »
They will be fighting relegation next season.  I'd have Pulis and his Rugby tactics over Mark no tactics any day of the week.  Complete madness that any PL team would even consider Hughes anymore.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2013, 01:49:05 pm »
I'm as happy as any not having to see Pulis next season barking orders and sending in his players like attack dogs. However, if I was a Stoke fan I'd be unhappy as fuck to be losing him to Hughes.

I kind of understand where the board are coming from in the type of appointment - this is Stoke, a team picked and honed by Pulis into a bulldozer of a team, as good as devoid of any finesse, getting in a young manager with a penchant for free flowing football would probably be a bridge too far regarding the gulf between his ideas and the players that would have to implement them. They probably need a middle ground manager between the reliance on physical bullying to actually getting the ball down to play decent football. So I get why some managers linked to the position have been bypassed but Hughes is gut wrencher of an appointment.

An opportunity lost or to put it another way, it's clusterfuck.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline timbucktoo

• Dreams of a threesome with Oprah Winfrey or Whoopie Goldberg
  • Kopite
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2013, 01:51:30 pm »

Mark Hughes????? :o :o

how does this man keep getting employed? Does he interview well?

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2013, 02:07:38 pm »
Just when you thought Stoke might actually be semi-likeable they go and get this pubic haired Bruce Forsyth chinned twat.

"Aw didn't he do well, didn't he do well..?"

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »

I kind of understand where the board are coming from in the type of appointment - this is Stoke, a team picked and honed by Pulis into a bulldozer of a team, as good as devoid of any finesse, getting in a young manager with a penchant for free flowing football would probably be a bridge too far regarding the gulf between his ideas and the players that would have to implement them. They probably need a middle ground manager between the reliance on physical bullying to actually getting the ball down to play decent football. So I get why some managers linked to the position have been bypassed but Hughes is gut wrencher of an appointment.

This is my only explanation too.  Hughes isn't the way to go. Theres better managers who could do that, ala Hughton
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:10:18 pm by Mashy-rawr!nooo »
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 29, 2013, 03:36:14 pm »
Mark Hughes????? :o :o

how does this man keep getting employed? Does he interview well?

He has a better agent than anyone else in the world, period.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 29, 2013, 03:58:37 pm »
Wonder who's picking all these managers  :no

Maybe there's a 'top job' for Steve Bruce somewhere
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2013, 04:57:13 pm »
If I had Hughes' track record I'd be virtually un-employable.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline timbucktoo

• Kopite
« Reply #276 on: May 29, 2013, 05:05:03 pm »
He has a better agent than anyone else in the world, period.

definitely earns his money then :o

Offline timbucktoo

• Kopite
« Reply #277 on: May 29, 2013, 05:06:49 pm »
If I had Hughes' track record I'd be virtually un-employable.

Get hughes' agent and you d be pissing money!

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2013, 05:09:50 pm »
Getting rid of Pulis I can understand

Replacing him with Hughes is just baffling though.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Tony Pulis has left Stoke
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2013, 05:30:51 pm »
Laughable, so many better managers out there! From the championship you could have Zola or Poyet. Then there's managers unemployed like O'Neil who is slightly better than Hughes and is more likely to use the academy. But personally I think who ever they decide on is a risk because if they try and change the football they play it ain't going to work out well. 
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt