Author Topic: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho  (Read 306915 times)

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
Re: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho
« Reply #1040 on: October 5, 2013, 05:28:17 pm »
Why did he come off? Due a rest?

Not long after he was gone we conceded through the air.

Stevie was supposed to mark the Palace player, not a defender.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #1041 on: October 5, 2013, 05:31:32 pm »
Who else are they gonna pick?

Dunno, just heard he was out of the NT until he got regular playing time.

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #1042 on: October 5, 2013, 05:33:26 pm »
Dunno, just heard he was out of the NT until he got regular playing time.
He was recalled by Deschamps.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #1043 on: October 5, 2013, 05:34:05 pm »
Whoever helped to scout him needs to be given a bonus...
Another bargain signing by BR that starts to turn gold
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: October 5, 2013, 05:36:03 pm »
Should be Sakho and Varane, no?

Great performance today and I don't think his being left footed will keep Brendan from pairing him with Agger should 4 at the back be needed going forward.
On pure ability yes, I would choose these two lads. They are the best who have emerged since Thuram retired IMO. But they do lack a bit of experience, especially Varane.

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: October 5, 2013, 05:56:01 pm »
didnt really see much of the match...so good to see some posters here saying he had a good game

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #1046 on: October 5, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »
On pure ability yes, I would choose these two lads. They are the best who have emerged since Thuram retired IMO. But they do lack a bit of experience, especially Varane.

Varane is playing way ahead of his years, he looked rock solid at 19 when he played vs Barcelona, and has been very consistent. Varane + Sakho should be France's CBs at the WC.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #1047 on: October 5, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »
He was recalled by Deschamps.

Hence why I would be surprised if he doesn't start ;D

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: October 5, 2013, 06:07:57 pm »
Getting better each game. Mark my words the media will discover him in a couple more months and the pundits will start lying about how much they always rated him. He is made for this league.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1049 on: October 5, 2013, 06:08:57 pm »
Getting better each game. Mark my words the media will discover him in a couple more months and the pundits will start lying about how much they always rated him. He is made for this league.

This! He was immense again today. So good on the ball too.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1050 on: October 5, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »
This guy gets better every week, I thought he was brilliant today.

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: October 5, 2013, 06:11:08 pm »
Hence why I would be surprised if he doesn't start ;D
Ok, I misread your post, sorry for that  :)

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: October 5, 2013, 06:14:46 pm »

Commentators in today's game were praising him and even Garth Crooks had him in his team of the week after our last PL game.  They are slowly but surely noticing how good he is.

Only 23 years old as well.  Scary how good he could become.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2013, 06:20:06 pm by karl1987 »

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: October 5, 2013, 06:20:06 pm »
Sakho and Toure have taken our defending up a few notches.  The kind of defending you need to win in this league.  The system is going to be shaky for a little bit as they all get used to things, but man for man, it's all you could ask for.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: October 5, 2013, 06:23:51 pm »
He's an absolute beast, a great defender to watch. His passing, aggression and intelligence mark him out as special. Always talking as well,w ith him, Agger and Kolo, we have some real leadership from the back.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: October 5, 2013, 06:23:52 pm »
Absolutely no way Toure gets dropped. Sakho and Skrtel have done great lately. But I think Toure's been the reason. Having that experience in the middle of defence is key - and the lad's class as well obviously.

If it's a 2 man CB, then Toure and Sakho is a no brainer. 3 man defence, and it's a question but only when you think about Agger or Skrtel. Sakho and Toure have added qualities into the defence that we haven't had for years. And they're playing better and better as a unit each game. No need to change that.

I agree with this 100%, in fact I would have serious worries about anyone who doesn't see this. Sakho second best player today behind Hendo. Toure 3rd probably.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: October 5, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »
Agree with the above. Toure has the mentatlity and the calming composure. Of Agger, Skrtel and Sakho... Sakho is the least likely to be bullied by the likes of players like Lukaku and Benteke, plus he can pass.

Offline cartmangreko

• Main Stander
« Reply #1057 on: October 5, 2013, 06:41:01 pm »

He was a French international, an integral part of the PSG squad for almost half a decade and the winner the Young Player of the Year award in France. Not exactly a scouting discovery.

He was indeed a bargain though and I was very surprised we signed him. In my view there isn't a club in the world that couldn't use a player of his potential and physical abilities. (Personally, I would start him in Barcelona over Pique easily). Maybe we were the only ones that guaranteed him a place in the starting XI

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: October 5, 2013, 06:44:46 pm »

To be fair, half this forum could have told you how good he is. The bonus should go to whoever negotiated it. He's the quality of player who inevitably ends up at your city's and your Monaco teams these days.

The question becomes, who the hell do we drop when Agger is fit?  Skrtel is the obvious answer but he's been doing well this season and thats even assuming we don't go back to a back 4.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2013, 06:46:51 pm by Cid »

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1059 on: October 5, 2013, 06:53:07 pm »
lucky to have him
YNWA

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #1060 on: October 5, 2013, 06:54:18 pm »
Ok, I misread your post, sorry for that  :)

No worries, I do it all the time :)

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #1061 on: October 5, 2013, 07:04:02 pm »
I'm sure Arsenal and City would have the need to sign him, bet he would prefer them to us, so, there's something in the way his profile is made that makes BR believe s he's the right player for us. Anyway,  totally happy with his performance and commitment...
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline jake11

• Main Stander
« Reply #1062 on: October 5, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »

He has always been a good player, the important thing was that he became available and we dived in and convinced him that this was where he belonged. That's where the credit is due.

I've said before that he is starting to remind me of Sami, and I'm sticking to that. He plays with his head up and watches the game. He is decisive and committed. A genuine Liverpool quality player.

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #1063 on: October 5, 2013, 07:30:07 pm »
You just have to look at the fella and you begin to doubt yourself.

Putting that kind of fear in to the oppo even before a ball is kicked , and you have won the battle already.

The guy is a genuine unit, a monster of a man .

If looks could kill, they would have to blindfold him.

A stalwart for the next decade, you can not put a price on that kind of consistency , defence is sorted with him in it. Just like Bart boy, moved at same age, and he been an ever present for the last decade.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #1064 on: October 5, 2013, 07:59:06 pm »
To be fair, half this forum could have told you how good he is. The bonus should go to whoever negotiated it. He's the quality of player who inevitably ends up at your city's and your Monaco teams these days.

The question becomes, who the hell do we drop when Agger is fit?  Skrtel is the obvious answer but he's been doing well this season and thats even assuming we don't go back to a back 4.

Everyone earns his place in the starting eleven. You don't drop Skrtel for Agger if Skrtel does not warrant dropping.

Right now, the three CB's that should start in our current formation are Toure, Skrtel and Sakho. For far too long, we haven't had enough competition to genuinely force players to up their games week in week out. If we go back to a back four, it would be even more difficult to see how Agger can get in unless someone gets injured or loses form terribly.

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #1065 on: October 5, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »
I'd be livid if he doesn't start for my country considering the quality of the defenders we have.

We are so used to seeing Rami and Mexes at the back that it must feel like a novelty for our compatriots to see Varane and Sakho there now  :o :nirnir

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #1066 on: October 5, 2013, 08:17:11 pm »
He had a good game today and is settling into the team well. I think there is more to come and as his understanding with Skrtel, Toure or Agger develops then we'll see him get better.
#JFT97

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: October 5, 2013, 08:20:27 pm »
He was brilliant today , most improved about him is his composure and passing, come on loads since the Swansea game which I thought it would

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #1068 on: October 5, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
Very shrewd signing.  Very confident with our transfer policy.  He's so smart, he always seems to be in the right place.  And he looks pretty intimidating, too.

dios esta buena

Offline Kali Yuga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1069 on: October 5, 2013, 08:30:21 pm »
Sakho looks great. Simple, but true.
You can cage an animal, but you'll never take away the rage.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: October 5, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »
The guy's just an absolute monster. He's still only 23 too ;D

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1071 on: October 5, 2013, 09:00:26 pm »
Can`t wait to see him with Toure in 4 man defence. I noticed the two of them against Soton last 20 min held the defensive line almost at the half way line and I really loved it. I have a nagging feeling with the two of them we might be onto something.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: October 5, 2013, 09:12:05 pm »
Clinical when he goes to ground with them slide tackles, whoever is on the end of one knows about it as well.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #1073 on: October 5, 2013, 09:25:11 pm »
Clinical when he goes to ground with them slide tackles, whoever is on the end of one knows about it as well.

I bet Osvaldo felt that tackle in the Soton game  :D

Wrote this earlier on this thread..after having watched him for a long time for PSG, he knows when to go to ground with those tackles and hardly ever mistimes them.

Offline Rufus Bullimore

• Main Stander
« Reply #1074 on: October 5, 2013, 09:31:03 pm »
When you pay around £15 million for a defender you should expect to see good performances. I like the lad and I hope he repays that fee.

Offline csgreen

• Going through RAWK like a dose of Verucca Salts
  • Anny Roader
  • Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red.
« Reply #1075 on: October 5, 2013, 10:11:04 pm »
Everyone earns his place in the starting eleven. You don't drop Skrtel for Agger if Skrtel does not warrant dropping.

Not to clog up the Sakho thread, but that's nonsense.  Even if Aspas was setting the world alight during the first few games he would have been dropped for Luis Suarez (and rightly so).  Every time Gerrard goes out injured he comes right back into the team when he's healthy, even if his replacement had not "warranted dropping" (again, rightly so).  The idea that players can be "on form" is a complete and utter fallacy - it's a mistake that people who don't understand probabilities make (the same way that the "hot hand" in basketball is).  Simply put, you play your best players - you don't think "well, Player X hasn't screwed anything up in the last three games, so I'll wait until he does to bring someone else in."  That would be the height of lunacy.  It's also worth pointing out that if you set up a team structure where if a player is injured they lose their place in the team, then you encourage players to play hurt, which then damages the team. 

So in the end, if BR thinks that Agger is the 4th best CB on the team and thus plays Toure/Skrtel/Sakho, so be it.  That's a decision based upon some rational analysis.  If on the other hand he thinks, "Agger isn't the 4th best CB on the team, but I can't drop one of the players Agger is better than until that player does something disastrous" - well, honestly I can't fathom anyone who has gotten to BR's level thinking something so completely and totally irrational...

Returning to Sakho.  I think he's going to be great.  I also think he's going to cost us points this year because he doesn't yet know the difference between being aggressive and being stupidly aggressive.  If Crystal Palace weren't so wretched they would have punished us on the play that Sakho went clattering into Skrtel for no damn reason (the ball was Skrtel's and also offered no threat) thus springing Palace onto a break (in exactly the same way he did against Swansea where we were actually punished).  But as I've said previously, I think it's easier to get a naturally aggressive player to be a bit smarter than it is to get a non-aggressive player to be aggressive...   

Offline schumi_pete

• Main Stander
« Reply #1076 on: October 5, 2013, 10:56:26 pm »
Not to clog up the Sakho thread, but that's nonsense.  Even if Aspas was setting the world alight during the first few games he would have been dropped for Luis Suarez (and rightly so).  Every time Gerrard goes out injured he comes right back into the team when he's healthy, even if his replacement had not "warranted dropping" (again, rightly so).  The idea that players can be "on form" is a complete and utter fallacy - it's a mistake that people who don't understand probabilities make (the same way that the "hot hand" in basketball is).  Simply put, you play your best players - you don't think "well, Player X hasn't screwed anything up in the last three games, so I'll wait until he does to bring someone else in."  That would be the height of lunacy.  It's also worth pointing out that if you set up a team structure where if a player is injured they lose their place in the team, then you encourage players to play hurt, which then damages the team. 

So in the end, if BR thinks that Agger is the 4th best CB on the team and thus plays Toure/Skrtel/Sakho, so be it.  That's a decision based upon some rational analysis.  If on the other hand he thinks, "Agger isn't the 4th best CB on the team, but I can't drop one of the players Agger is better than until that player does something disastrous" - well, honestly I can't fathom anyone who has gotten to BR's level thinking something so completely and totally irrational...

Returning to Sakho.  I think he's going to be great.  I also think he's going to cost us points this year because he doesn't yet know the difference between being aggressive and being stupidly aggressive.  If Crystal Palace weren't so wretched they would have punished us on the play that Sakho went clattering into Skrtel for no damn reason (the ball was Skrtel's and also offered no threat) thus springing Palace onto a break (in exactly the same way he did against Swansea where we were actually punished).  But as I've said previously, I think it's easier to get a naturally aggressive player to be a bit smarter than it is to get a non-aggressive player to be aggressive...   

I am sorry but players should not play based on reputations. They should be chosen to play based on how well they do in training and in games. What is this hypothetical pecking order that you are talking about? If out of the four center backs we have, if Agger is the fourth best center back at this point in time, then he deserves to be on the bench and not on the pitch. It doesn't mean that the situation wouldn't change over the course of the season. Skrtel was virtually out in the cold all of the back end of last season but he's kept his place (rightfully in my view) since his performances have not dropped. Similarly, Agger will get back into the playing eleven when Brendan thinks he's earner his place.

As I said, playing for Liverpool should not be an entitlement to anyone based on their reputation alone. If you are good enough, you go into the playing eleven and that's how it should be. I think what would be irrational would be to drop a player who is playing better right now in favor of a player that Brendan thinks is the better player but who is not playing as well. It's like saying 'you are doing a great job but I am going to promote the other guy because he is the better guy by general consensus and also because I think in my mind he's better'. Not what I would call rewarding someone for his performance.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2013, 11:03:12 pm by schumi_pete »

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: October 5, 2013, 11:53:53 pm »
While playing as Liverpool in Pro Ev lately I've singing to tune of Pixie Lotts'  'Mamado' (it's not a good song, but if firs and is simple)

We've got Maaaaaamadou!
Sa-kho! Sa-kho! Sa-kho!

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: October 5, 2013, 11:55:08 pm »
Honestly wasn't sure about this lad because admittedly I'd not watched as much of our games this season as I'd have liked to due to commitments, but i fell in love with the fella today.

He's got power, pace, composure and that last ditch header at the end of the second half was a fucking beauty! ;D

What a player we've got here, and he's only 23!

Offline THE7KING

• Main Stander
« Reply #1079 on: October 6, 2013, 12:00:33 am »
I think he is boss...his been brilliant unfit, new league, absolute beast.

I think the 3 at the back is brilliant and suits are players but I do think the best three would be Kolo, Agger and Sakho