Author Topic: Leaving before the final whistle.  (Read 17159 times)

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Leaving before the final whistle.
« Reply #200 on: December 2, 2016, 01:08:35 pm »
Really struggling to get my head around this Manc family tree. So did the sister or the mum have the baby? Or is it some sort of inbred Manc thing and they're the same person? Cant figure out what's going on here.

No offence intended towards your good lady wife of course  :wave

:lmao

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: December 2, 2016, 01:21:25 pm »
Struggling with this. People don't want to sit in traffic.

I think what some people in here are missing is... people aren't trying to lecture you to stay longer so that you can be a "better fan". They're sayingsaying... if you don't want to be there, don't come, and give your seat up for someone that does. If the inconvenience of traffic doesn't warrant watching the reds live to you, then give your seat up to someone who would be ecstatic to get to a game now and then and wouldn't blink twice if that means getting home 5 hours later (because the game at Anfield is their plans that they need to get to)

No ones forcing you to stay all game, but they damn right should feel entitled to be angry that you've left an empty seat for 10 mins when there's 1000s of people who werent able to get a ticket at all

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #202 on: December 2, 2016, 01:21:37 pm »
Be handy if all the proper fans could write up some sort of rule book for supporting so I know I'm doing it right.

I thought not missing a home game for the last 12 years was ok. You know, paying out thousands of pounds, traveling thousands of miles.

Soz I left 10 minutes early in the week.

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 2, 2016, 01:26:29 pm »
Be handy if all the proper fans could write up some sort of rule book for supporting so I know I'm doing it right.

I thought not missing a home game for the last 12 years was ok. You know, paying out thousands of pounds, traveling thousands of miles.

Mate you're making a habit of spectacularly missing the point everytime you post in this thread.

From a purely objective point of view I think all the valid reasons for staying for the full game are very clearly laid out in just the last page or two of this thread.

If you don't agree....fair enough, but enough of the making the pro-stay lot out to be saying they're better fans than you.  Its not the point they are trying to make.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #204 on: December 2, 2016, 01:29:01 pm »

You're gonna need a bigger boat
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 2, 2016, 01:31:30 pm »

what if the whole stadium did the same? unlikely to happen obviously, but....what if they did, how bad would it look?

where do we draw the line at what is acceptable? 10k fans if fine? 20k? when does it become embarrassing for the club? having a half empty stadium with 10 mins to go looks pretty shit.

not having a go at you personally and im not just talking about the leeds match, I have seen people leaving 10 mins before the end in loads of league games.

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #206 on: December 2, 2016, 01:33:44 pm »
what if the whole stadium did the same? how bad would it look?

To who?

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #207 on: December 2, 2016, 01:35:31 pm »
what if the whole stadium did the same? unlikely to happen obviously, but....what if they did, how bad would it look?

I bet they'd all have a genuine reason though, and they have travelled millions of miles, and spent billions of pounds, and that makes them so much better than anyone who waits until the end.
Legacy fan

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #208 on: December 2, 2016, 01:36:23 pm »

where do we draw the line at what is acceptable? 10k fans if fine? 20k? when does it become embarrassing for the club? having a half empty stadium with 10 mins to go looks pretty shit.

not having a go at you personally and im not just talking about the leeds match, I have seen people leaving 10 mins before the end in loads of league games.

Yep exactly & we only have to look at a recent event to see how that looks.
#77'
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: December 2, 2016, 01:39:48 pm »
Midweek games get it worse than most, people have lives to live and its late. Especially when the game is won already.

Don't see the issue personally.

EDIT

And if the transport links around Anfield, and many other inner city football grounds for that matter, weren't so terrible perhaps it wouldnt be a problem.

But they are. They're shit. So people take measures to compensate, just the way it is.

I remember when we were playing Zenit in the Europa League a few years ago and I went to the 2nd leg with a uni mate. We were going to leave a couple of minutes early and head to the train station (I had to get back to Greater Manchester and he had to get back to Huddersfield) but we decided to stay. What a fucking mistake that was. At full time the police decided to perform some sort of exercise which took 90 minutes, we missed our train and had to wait another hour for the next. The original train took us both directly home but the one we ended up on terminated at Manchester. I was supposed to get home at about 11:30pm and he was meant to get back at 11:45pm. I didn't get through my door until about 1:30am and he didn't get home until about 5:30am.

Sometimes the sound advice is to leave a few minutes early if you have to catch trains etc because you never know what external issues are going to effect your journey home or if you can get home.

« Last Edit: December 2, 2016, 01:43:05 pm by mc_red22 »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: December 2, 2016, 01:40:54 pm »
The 90 minutes of football is only part of the match experience anyway. Should be in the ground singing before the game,  clap the lads off afterwards and keep their heads held high,  give a thanks to Jurgen and the staff and then head out into Liverpool.
I think this is the ideal and great if you're local or staying over. I love the whole day, beer / food before, beer after, bit of a sing but I don't live locally any more so can only do this if staying with mates or family.
Agree with what others have said though if you're just there for the game, the key is parking 20 mins walk away.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #211 on: December 2, 2016, 01:41:28 pm »
To who?

The players? The fans who can be arsed staying to clap them off?
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 2, 2016, 01:42:46 pm »
To who?

Everyone connected with the club for a start
The owners
The manager
Liverpool Players who obviously notice when they are playing which will affect their performance, especially when opposition fans are clearly louder
Players who might be interested in joining but would rather join a team with better fans

Fans affect the whole club which is why Jurgen mentions it so often

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #213 on: December 2, 2016, 01:51:51 pm »
I was going to take those one at a time but I think I'll just agree to disagree.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 2, 2016, 01:57:44 pm »
So do you think it would be perfectly fine for 30 thousand people to leave a stadium 10 minutes before the end of each match and it would have no effect on the club?

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 2, 2016, 02:05:46 pm »
I think the most bizarre one I ever saw was at the 89 Cup final.  There were two lads in front of me who mumbled something about watching us pick the cup up on telly and got off.  Maybe it was Hillsborough or something though, match result didn't mean as much to them or something.

Anyway, apart from that ramble.

Leaving early isn't something I do often.  Maybe two or three times in the last ten years or something.  To me though it's different if you think the points are in the bag and you just can't be arsed with queuing to get out, than just storming out after a late equalizer or something.

If you're that arsed why not just ask them?  What are you doing mate?  Might miss a goal, upset our pampered superstars or the Leeds wools might sing a nasty song about us before going back to their Yorkshire caves?

Or, I know Klopps just signed a new 6 year contract like but he might get off himself if you go?
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: December 2, 2016, 02:10:39 pm »
So do you think it would be perfectly fine for 30 thousand people to leave a stadium 10 minutes before the end of each match and it would have no effect on the club?

It would be extremely strange.  I can't think of anything that would lead to something that extreme, maybe a fire in the ground or something but even then it's not going to happen every match.  I can't think of any time in our history when over half the ground has left with ten minutes to go.

Apart  from that Screensport Super Cup match against Norwich when we were given the league trophy at the start.  Quite a few people watched us get the trophy and left ten minutes into the match.  With ten minutes to go people were too knackered from the celebrations and most people were already in the pubs.

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #217 on: December 2, 2016, 02:12:47 pm »

Might force the club to improve transport.

Doubt they'll give a monkeys though once the tickets are all sold.

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #218 on: December 2, 2016, 02:16:27 pm »
It would be extremely strange. 

It would simply never happen but lets use extreme hypothetical reasoning to prove our point.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 2, 2016, 02:21:03 pm »
Only time I've left a match early is up in Scotland watching the crap local and was so incensed at the ref that I felt the vein in my neck bulge with rage.

I'd like to think that's a reasonable excuse.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 2, 2016, 02:21:53 pm »
Chief Brody - Jurgen Klopp has said he wants fans to stay to the final whistle to help the team. Isn't that enough for you?

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 2, 2016, 02:36:14 pm »

Might force the club to improve transport.

Doubt they'll give a monkeys though once the tickets are all sold.

What sort of transport? Taxi's? Trains? Buses?

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 2, 2016, 02:36:46 pm »
Only time I've left a match early is up in Scotland watching the crap local and was so incensed at the ref that I felt the vein in my neck bulge with rage.

I'd like to think that's a reasonable excuse.

But if somebody gets off at a Liverpool match when we're playing crap and decision's aren't going our way (and you see many people getting off in those situations), then it's not a reasonable excuse?

I don't get why you would think it's OK to do that to your local team, but not Liverpool.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 2, 2016, 02:42:06 pm »

I think if 30,000 people started getting off with ten minutes to go every week the Club would seriously have to look at all three of those options.  But 30,000 people are never going to start getting off every week with ten minutes to go so it's a bit of a moot point.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: December 2, 2016, 02:43:21 pm »
I think if 30,000 people started getting off with ten minutes to go every week the Club would seriously have to look at all three of those options.  But 30,000 people are never going to start getting off every week with ten minutes to go so it's a bit of a moot point.

that wasnt my point

my point was, what number of fans leaving early is acceptable before it becomes a bit embarrassing and affects the club

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #225 on: December 2, 2016, 02:47:38 pm »
Bottom line for me is that Klopp himself keeps re-asserting that we've all got a job to do.

Absolutely anything can happen in the last 15 or so minutes of a match, so unless we're 4 up and in cruise control, assuming the win's in the bag is mighty complacent, and certainly not befitting followers of a club like ours, who should by now be very accustomed to the possibility of late dramatic twists. Likewise, if you leave just assuming we've already been beaten or can't possibly nab the required points, then that's a bit rubbish in another way for a football supporter; you're there really to provide encouragement and inspiration right to the death, and lift them when their heads have dropped both during and immediately after the match - you aren't simply a paying spectator, that's for another sport.

Getting home a bit earlier just is not worth it considering how pathetic it looks, people streaming out of the ground with plenty left to play. You could avoid the rush by staying in Town for a bit, making more of a day out of it. Fair enough, if you're a regular matchgoer and a local there eventually won't be much new for you to see or do, but it's a small sacrifice that you should be willing to make if you want the honour and privilege of closely following the team as it challenges again.

Is us losing a complete waste of your time and money? It's just not a good way to think about it, purely in terms of personal convenience. You might well regret having missed those little moments later in life, and probably won't reminisce fondly about all those times you got home a bit quicker just to turn the tele on and watch some shite or other.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #226 on: December 2, 2016, 02:47:40 pm »

Shanks Pony is the preferred option.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 2, 2016, 02:55:16 pm »
But if somebody gets off at a Liverpool match when we're playing crap and decision's aren't going our way (and you see many people getting off in those situations), then it's not a reasonable excuse?

I don't get why you would think it's OK to do that to your local team, but not Liverpool.

No I was just thinking it was probably the wiser move for my healthy if I removed myself before I blew my top. Same for Liverpool, if it's making you angry you shouldn't feel compelled to stay.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 2, 2016, 02:56:37 pm »
that wasnt my point

my point was, what number of fans leaving early is acceptable before it becomes a bit embarrassing and affects the club

If I worked at the Club I'd wonder why there was a general lack of enthusiasm for the entire 90 minutes, rather than concentrate on the last ten minutes.

I'd probably put a stop to generic questionnaires and engage with SOS, SK1906, etc. on a more personal basis to try to get to the bottom of it. 

But nobody at the Club is arsed enough about that so I doubt that they're embarrassed that some people leave early.  Maybe it would take 30,000 people to leave early before the Club feel embarrassed about it.

Whether it affects the team and whether it affects the club are two different things.  As long as the Club are selling tickets then they're not arsed, that kind of attitude the reflects on the fans who don't feel that arsed.

The Club just aren't arsed.  They'd only get it wrong anyway and make another change to the scoreboard with some kind of big countdown to the end of the match, have the guitarists playing in the concourses until after the match finishes and bring Mighty Red out for the last five minutes so he can kiss babies or something.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 2, 2016, 03:00:36 pm »
As long as the Club are selling tickets then they're not arsed, that kind of attitude the reflects on the fans who don't feel that arsed.

you are talking about the owners here?

or does the "club" include the manager?

I am pretty sure the manager of our team is arsed

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 2, 2016, 03:01:47 pm »
No I was just thinking it was probably the wiser move for my healthy if I removed myself before I blew my top. Same for Liverpool, if it's making you angry you shouldn't feel compelled to stay.

Fair enough that is.  I ended up booting a chair in at Old Trafford once (not proud of the fact, wasn't pre meditated or anything, just heat of the moment), I removed myself from the ground shortly after it so that my emotions didn't get the better of me during the Matt Busby Way scramble (not hard like, was more worried that I'd say or do something that would result in me getting my head kicked in).

Don't feel arsed about it all anymore though to get myself so wound up.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 2, 2016, 03:09:54 pm »
you are talking about the owners here?

or does the "club" include the manager?

I am pretty sure the manager of our team is arsed

If somebody at the Club improved the way in which supporters were engaged, I think it would have a knock on effect of people feeling more arsed about the team.  If Klopps arsed he'd probably have more joy turning up at an SOS meeting than waving his hands at the crowd.  Not that either of those things should be his responsibility anyway.  Just a thought.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 2, 2016, 03:11:16 pm »
If somebody at the Club improved the way in which supporters were engaged, I think it would have a knock on effect of people feeling more arsed about the team.  If Klopps arsed he'd probably have more joy turning up at an SOS meeting than waving his hands at the crowd.  Not that either of those things should be his responsibility anyway.  Just a thought.

so this is why people leave early?

because they feel undervalued

no, its because they want to beat the traffic

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 2, 2016, 03:25:42 pm »
so this is why people leave early?

because they feel undervalued

no, its because they want to beat the traffic

As I said, I'd be more concerned about how they are for the other 80 minutes.

Then again, if the Club did research that found that people leave early to beat the traffic and at least tried to do something to make it easier for them it'd be a nice touch.  You can't force people to be enthusiastic for the entire 90 minutes.  You need to try to find out why they're not and then try to do something about it.

You can delve down there a bit as well.  Would people still feel arsed about beating the traffic if they cared more about the result?  Do people even care about what Klopp thinks, and if not why not?  Are they there to be entertained or do they actually care about the team?  Has their attitude changed at all over the last ten years?  Then do something about it. 

You can't force enthusiasm and I don't think they're are enough enthusiastic people to fill the ground, modern day football and all that.

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
« Reply #234 on: December 2, 2016, 05:28:58 pm »
As I said, I'd be more concerned about how they are for the other 80 minutes.

Then again, if the Club did research that found that people leave early to beat the traffic and at least tried to do something to make it easier for them it'd be a nice touch.  You can't force people to be enthusiastic for the entire 90 minutes.  You need to try to find out why they're not and then try to do something about it.

You can delve down there a bit as well.  Would people still feel arsed about beating the traffic if they cared more about the result?  Do people even care about what Klopp thinks, and if not why not?  Are they there to be entertained or do they actually care about the team?  Has their attitude changed at all over the last ten years?  Then do something about it. 

You can't force enthusiasm and I don't think they're are enough enthusiastic people to fill the ground, modern day football and all that.

For most of fans it's a bit of both.

A lot of people on this forum  are obsessed with football. I've seen many posts before from people saying how they are in a bad mood for the rest of the week after a bad result. You only have to read this thread to see how seriously people take it and how they think a supporter should act.  The vast majority of football fans are not like this. For most people it's a bit of fun and something to look forward to and be excited about. It's something to chat with their friends about. Most don't get upset if their team loses, mainly because they have more important stuff going on in their lives.

I love football but I am shocked at how seriously grown men take it on here.

As for people leaving early, I couldn't care less. Happens at most grounds.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2016, 05:30:50 pm by LJA »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #235 on: December 2, 2016, 05:41:31 pm »
I posted the Klopp quotes on the first page. I deliberately did not add any comment.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Offline TheSpionKopNC

• Main Stander
  • Boom
« Reply #236 on: December 2, 2016, 05:44:17 pm »

A lot of people on this forum  are obsessed with football. I've seen many posts before from people saying how they are in a bad mood for the rest of the week after a bad result. You only have to read this thread to see how seriously people take it and how they think a supporter should act.  The vast majority of football fans are not like this. For most people it's a bit of fun and something to look forward to and be excited about. It's something to chat with their friends about. Most don't get upset if their team loses, mainly because they have more important stuff going on in their lives.

:champ

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #237 on: December 2, 2016, 06:03:59 pm »

To be honest mate, when you are brought up close to the ground with brothers & sisters,tons of friends red and blue..banter inhouse,banter en route to school,in school..en route home..banter at tea time..etc it kinda grows on you & you may understand why some are so 'obsessed'.
There is no superfan thing about it,when you see others with a type of half arsed attitude to the club,it sometimes gets your back up a bit.
Hence its not just a bit of fun,not for me anyway.

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
« Reply #238 on: December 2, 2016, 06:15:23 pm »
To be honest mate, when you are brought up close to the ground with brothers & sisters,tons of friends red and blue..banter inhouse,banter en route to school,in school..en route home..banter at tea time..etc it kinda grows on you & you may understand why some are so 'obsessed'.
There is no superfan thing about it,when you see others with a type of half arsed attitude to the club,it sometimes gets your back up a bit.
Hence its not just a bit of fun,not for me anyway.

You're not the only one with a childhood like that. Even now, if Liverpool lose I get loads of texts from friends taking the piss.

It's fine that you take it seriously. If it gets your back up that someone has a half arsed attitude to the club (in your opinion), that's your problem. You can't  expect everyone to take take a sport as seriously as you do.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #239 on: December 2, 2016, 06:25:37 pm »
You're not the only one with a childhood like that. Even now, if Liverpool lose I get loads of texts from friends taking the piss.

It's fine that you take it seriously. If it gets your back up that someone has a half arsed attitude to the club (in your opinion), that's your problem. You can't  expect everyone to take take a sport as seriously as you do.

You're right & thats the difference,those who are arsed and those who are half arsed.