Author Topic: Liverpool's defence - Giraffes, Walls and Automobiles  (Read 168250 times)

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The rejuvenated defence thread
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2016, 08:30:21 pm »
Defence is getting better and better as a unit all the time,honorable mention to our midfielders and their defensive work lately,has really helped them a lot.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2016, 11:46:29 am »
Liverpool currently allow their opponents the fewest shots per game of any of the 98 teams in Europe's big five leagues.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2016, 12:08:01 pm »
Liverpool currently allow their opponents the fewest shots per game of any of the 98 teams in Europe's big five leagues.

Impressive, but doesn't shout much for our goals againsts tally.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2016, 04:46:14 pm »
We concede the least amount of shots in entire Europe (7.5). Our defence can't complain they don't get protection from midfield.

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2016, 05:13:13 pm »
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2016, 06:05:09 pm »
:D

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2016, 07:14:25 pm »
Is it just me or is Lovren playing very well lately?
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2016, 07:21:49 pm »

He's played well all season. The entire defence has, actually.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2016, 07:33:30 pm »
I'm surprised he hasn't got more recognition after yesterday's game, I thought he was superb. Matip was basically playing next to Henderson as another DM with Lovren the spare man at the back and he won everything and passes it well.

Yet the only comments after the game was how Lucas should replace him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2016, 07:55:40 pm »

Blocked half (3/6) of Sunderland's shots yesterday.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2016, 11:27:46 pm »
I'm surprised he hasn't got more recognition after yesterday's game, I thought he was superb. Matip was basically playing next to Henderson as another DM with Lovren the spare man at the back and he won everything and passes it well.

Yet the only comments after the game was how Lucas should replace him.

There seems to be some weird drive to get Lucas into this team for some reason. Shouts that he would be better than Henderson and that he should replace Lovren are just mental. He is good to come in as a 3rd/4th choice CB and to come on in the 85th minute to shore up a lead and that is that

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:48 pm »

Interesting that Tottenham isn't even in the top 20, when they've conceded the equal fewest goals in the league this season so far.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2016, 12:26:52 am »

There seems to be some weird drive to get Lucas into this team for some reason
. Shouts that he would be better than Henderson and that he should replace Lovren are just mental. He is good to come in as a 3rd/4th choice CB and to come on in the 85th minute to shore up a lead and that is that
It's RAWK mate, there's always been some weird drive to get Lucas into something.

Lovren was brilliant, there's no other way of putting it; won everything, was great on the ball and had some very nice attacking cameos. I think the hyperbole around him (and Sakho) has swirled around for so long that there's a significant number who are struggling to readjust themselves to a new reality.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2016, 06:18:15 am »
He's played well all season. The entire defence has, actually.

to be honest i think the whole team has been brilliant so far. Right from the forwards pressing, to the midfield denying the opposition to play and our defence when the ball comes nearer our goal.

No doubt a settled back 5 have helped and there is already a thread about matip so no need to explain further here.

against sunderland, basically we were camping inside their half compressing the play. Matip was playing more of a DM than a CB and even Lovren were in the opposition half managing to get a couple of shots in.

For those with sharper eyes and minds could also see Emre/Hendo dropping deep whenever Matip/Lovren decide to push further forwards.

Brilliant so far as a unit and long may it continue!

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2016, 09:59:44 am »
Defence is getter better and two consecutive clean sheet is very decent. But let's not forget that the opponents sat back very deep and just looking for 1 point. So that's still too early to tell if our defence is solid enough.
Believer

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2016, 05:34:04 pm »
Defence is getter better and two consecutive clean sheet is very decent. But let's not forget that the opponents sat back very deep and just looking for 1 point. So that's still too early to tell if our defence is solid enough.
Apart from Arsenal and Burnley it's looked good in all the other big games this season - and that wasn't the 1st choice back four.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #136 on: December 1, 2016, 05:11:08 am »
People have been banging on about how few clean sheets the team's kept, but we now have three.

That's one fewer than Arsenal's 4 and 1 more than City's 2. It's only two fewer than the much heralded Spurs defence has managed, and one fewer than United's (but they're not really in the title race conversation anyway). Chelsea is the only one that's way ahead, on 7.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we finished in the top 3 for fewest goals conceded by the end of the year. Only Chelsea and Spurs have standout defences that are clearly better than ours.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 1, 2016, 06:40:17 am »
Saw a couple of stats saying that under our preferred back 5 of Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren & Milner we have only conceded 2 goals. Not sure how many games that is though.

Also we have conceded the 2nd least goals from set pieces and scored the 2nd most.
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: December 1, 2016, 11:33:45 am »
We concede the least amount of shots in entire Europe (7.5). Our defence can't complain they don't get protection from midfield.

Defence starts from the front line. Don't understand your can't complain comment.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #139 on: December 1, 2016, 11:40:02 am »
Defence starts from the front line. Don't understand your can't complain comment.
What's there to understand? We have arguably the hardest working front 6 in the league and our back 4 is very well protected which most certainly wasn't the case in recent history before Klopp took over.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 1, 2016, 11:40:05 am »
Like 90% of teams are going to against us...

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 1, 2016, 11:42:20 am »
What's there to understand? We have arguably the hardest working front 6 in the league and our back 4 is very well protected which most certainly wasn't the case in recent history before Klopp took over.
I think he's just saying it was a strange way of wording it, as I don't think anyone's making that argument?

Also, while it does start from the front, our back 4 has a lot to do with how few shots we concede.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #142 on: December 1, 2016, 11:54:18 am »
Saw a couple of stats saying that under our preferred back 5 of Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren & Milner we have only conceded 2 goals. Not sure how many games that is though.

Also we have conceded the 2nd least goals from set pieces and scored the 2nd most.
They conceded 2 vs Palace, 1 vs West Brom and 1 vs Swansea, off the top of my head, so the stat might be from open play? All the same, they look a solid back 5.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2016, 11:56:03 am by iamnant »
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 1, 2016, 01:12:32 pm »
They conceded 2 vs Palace, 1 vs West Brom and 1 vs Swansea, off the top of my head, so the stat might be from open play? All the same, they look a solid back 5.

Moreno played against Palace but I agree that we look better defensively as the season has gone on (which is no surprise) and are comparatively similar to the other teams up there. Think Karius has helped and hbhr's recent posts about him sum up why.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #144 on: December 1, 2016, 01:49:02 pm »
Moreno played against Palace but I agree that we look better defensively as the season has gone on (which is no surprise) and are comparatively similar to the other teams up there. Think Karius has helped and hbhr's recent posts about him sum up why.
Of course he did! My apologies.
Mane, Karius and Matip have been our best signings for a few seasons now, especially the latter two. I think in some games, we could risk Moreno rather than Milner - Sunderland being the obvious example - but as an unit, that back 5 looks solid as.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #145 on: December 4, 2016, 03:25:23 pm »
Matip has missed three games. We've conceded 9 goals. Absolute joke of a defence without him.
Believe

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #146 on: December 4, 2016, 03:25:57 pm »
It's rejuvenated with Matip.

Without him? Well.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #147 on: December 4, 2016, 03:26:26 pm »
Forget Coutinho, Matip is the most important player for this team. Crumbled without him today.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 4, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »
That was appaling. Lovren played a part in three of the four goals conceded.

Lucas went to fucking sleep second half. We should of brought Klavan on at 3-1 and moved Lucas into midfield.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #149 on: December 4, 2016, 03:28:19 pm »
That was appaling. Lovren played a part in three of the four goals conceded.

Lucas went to fucking sleep second half. We should of brought Klavan on at 3-1 and moved Lucas into midfield.

What on earth was Milner doing for that pen though. It's basic defending. Don't dive in on a 50/50 in the box. Type of shite Moreno does.
Believe

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #150 on: December 4, 2016, 03:31:33 pm »
We should get a defensive coach.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #151 on: December 4, 2016, 03:32:08 pm »
Lovren is not good enough for us. I've said it way before last season when everyone was riding the 'under Klopp' wave. Oh player X improved so much under Klopp bla bla bla. Yeah, maybe Lovren improved after that horrendous first season and shameful start to 15/16. He's not garbage, he's a decent PL defender and he plays like one. The problem is that we are not just decent, we're in a title race and aiming for a top 4 finish at the very least. Lovren is not, never has been and never will be at that level.

He really pissed me off today. I dislike him personally so I tend to avoid giving opinions on him since I might be biased, but today he was objectively awful. On a different game he might not have been punished, but the fact is that he's the weak link in our defence and has been since he got here. Without a partner with whom he has a good understanding (Sakho and now Matip) he crumbles. His positioning is a definite worry and his cocky attitude does my head in, what with trying a sensational first-time cross with 10 seconds to go.

EDIT: Oh, and Milner was also terrible defensively today. The difference is that it's an exception to the rule.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2016, 03:33:43 pm by Johnny B. Goode »
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 4, 2016, 03:32:12 pm »
the opposition know when there's a defence that can be had - that turns to nerves and panics, with a lack of leadership. they just chased us down, pushed us back into our own box and we just let them come on to us.

fuck right off.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 4, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »
Matip has missed three games. We've conceded 9 goals. Absolute joke of a defence without him.

Lucas isn't no where near good enough to fill the void for him sadly.  Arsed what he does against shite in the cups, whenever he's brought in during the Premier League this defence falls apart and mistakes happen.

Hope Matip comes back asap. He's a rock at the back.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 4, 2016, 03:32:50 pm »
We should get a defensive coach.
[emoji1]

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #155 on: December 4, 2016, 03:33:18 pm »
Klopp was talking up Klavan when he signed him but he can't get in ahead of an out of position Lucas.  Maybe could've swapped Henderson with Can after his booking, felt his game fell apart because of that.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 4, 2016, 03:33:22 pm »
Selling in Sakho in January makes little sense. It really does.

Cutting our nose to spite our face there - players have done much worst (including our very own Suarez) but if you need them you make allowances.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 4, 2016, 03:33:58 pm »
Well you'll reap what you sow if your third choice CB is basically just a midfielder who's legs have gone. Absolute joke that we're in that position given that both of our "first choice" CBs are injury prone.

Badly need a new CB in January, and one who can come in and start preferably. Lovren has improved a lot under Klopp, but he has a game like that in him, and we can't carry that. That was a Skrtel vs Southampton kind of performance.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 4, 2016, 03:34:42 pm »
Forget Coutinho, Matip is the most important player for this team. Crumbled without him today.

I have been thinking that for some time now. Brought into sharp focus today, but I'm sure that won't be lost on our management today. Can't EVER be dependant on one player.

I'll be intrigued to see how we bounce back from this. Today could be the bitter pill we need to keep developing.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #159 on: December 4, 2016, 03:35:07 pm »
Well you'll reap what you sow if your third choice CB is basically just a midfielder who's legs have gone. Absolute joke that we're in that position given that both of our "first choice" CBs are injury prone.

Badly need a new CB in January, and one who can come in and start preferably. Lovren has improved a lot under Klopp, but he has a game like that in him, and we can't carry that. That was a Skrtel vs Southampton kind of performance.
Lucas was far from being our worst defender today.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio