Author Topic: Are you enjoying it?  (Read 165728 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Are you enjoying it?
« on: November 5, 2016, 09:00:26 am »
When asked about his playing career, Jamie Carragher said he wished he'd enjoyed himself more. While that's a solidly good sentiment, it's actually a bit disingenuous. If you're playing to your physical maximum, preparing all week to sustain good form, going into high stakes games and weighing your happiness against weekly outcomes I'm not sure you can "enjoy" it. Yes you can enjoy the trappings of life as a highly paid famous footballer, but striving to succeed isn't fun and I'm not sure it's supposed to be. Man's eternal struggle isn't aligned with removing yourself from the carnage, stepping back and contemplating the joy of it all.

Like Carragher, when the stakes are so high it's questionable whether you can actually enjoy matches as a fan. Yes, you get the warm glow after we score a goal and a sense of accomplishment when we win but these are fleeting bursts of positivity as your mind moves on to the inevitable question: "well, what's next?"  The anxiety that this won't last is enough to put the damper on a momentary high. Until you win the lot, what's the value in a mere three points?

This isn't supposed to be negative and miserable. It's essentially an insight into the neuroses of a Liverpool fan desperate to win the fucking league. WIN THE THING. BUT PLEASE DON'T LET US DOWN. PLEASE!

How can we enjoy this when the prize is so spectacular? How can we enjoy this when we look so good, we have great football players and an outstanding football manager? You can't, can you? It's too real. It feels too achievable to allow us to kick back and just enjoy the weekly goal fest.

I find myself almost incapable of watching us. It's killing me.

Are you enjoying it?

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Are you enjoying it?
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2016, 09:26:47 am »
I am yeah
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2016, 09:35:36 am »
I'm Lovin' It TM

If you cant enjoy watching LFC right now you really need to consider crochet  ;D ;D ;D
Believer

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2016, 09:35:56 am »
Looking forward to games like it was 13/14.

The difference is we all suspected it was that year or nothing. This season we all know there's something bigger at play, a clear direction, the most cohesive team displays we've seen for years, young lads enjoying their football, a manager enjoying football, fans enjoying it.

If it's not this year it'll be soon.

The shackles are off in a weird way and there's very much an air of sea change around the club from top to bottom.

It's not perfect but damn I'm loving it.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2016, 09:38:35 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2016, 09:41:01 am »
...Yeah..
Continually on 11,420.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2016, 09:46:53 am »
When asked about his playing career, Jamie Carragher said he wished he'd enjoyed himself more. While that's a solidly good sentiment, it's actually a bit disingenuous. If you're playing to your physical maximum, preparing all week to sustain good form, going into high stakes games and weighing your happiness against weekly outcomes I'm not sure you can "enjoy" it. Yes you can enjoy the trappings of life as a highly paid famous footballer, but striving to succeed isn't fun and I'm not sure it's supposed to be.

I personally don't think that's true at all. I think it's very much possible to strive for success, and to put in all the work which that may take, and still enjoy it.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2016, 09:49:26 am »
I personally don't think that's true at all. I think it's very much possible to strive for success, and to put in all the work which that may take, and still enjoy it.
Do you think elite driven sports people enjoy it in the main? Carragher's personality type would suggest had he enjoyed himself he wouldn't have had the equivalent success.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2016, 10:03:56 am »
Reckon he might have enjoyed it a bit less though  if he'd spent his career with Scunthorpe or Forfar  Athletic   ;)

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2016, 10:05:08 am »
Enjoying it!  ;)

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2016, 10:29:02 am »
The stress and worry is part of it. Joy doesn't exist without despair. Fretting about holding a 2-1 lead at home to West Brom and doing it...that is happiness. I can't wait to watch us every week.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: November 5, 2016, 10:31:29 am »
Damn right I'm enjoying it and even the occasional game we drop points in won't dampen it either because finally our players know how good they are and what they're capable of.

This isn't a one season wonder type squad, this a squad coming together, learning together, growing together, devoping and improving together. 

We will continue to get better this season, there will be no drop off in quality, intensity or application.  They know they're good enough to win things now, last season I don't think they did, so they didn't, even when the opportunity presented itself, twice.

That's not going to happen now.  The belief is there.  The drive and determination is there.  The performances and results are there.

It's all good and this fucking train just keeps rolling on.  Jump on board, it's a blast  :wave

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2016, 10:33:33 am »
Yes the fear, agony & disappointment are the fuel for the fire of ecstasy that we feel after the ball goes in, a win, and hopefully at the end of the season or cup run. As long as we make top 4 again, I am going to be delighted because we will have been in the mix, and the football from our squad is an absolute delight, compared to almost everyone else's.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2016, 10:44:01 am »
I;m enjoying it immensely. Even more enjoyable is the fact that we're playing the best football in the league, and we're nowhere near where Klopp wants us to be. That's truly frightening.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 5, 2016, 10:47:39 am »
Yeah not on the same train of thought with this one at all - I'm loving it, I look forward to every single game because for the first time in years that pit of worry in my stomach just isn't there. Yeah we're going to slip up, we're going to lose, we're going to have some Burnley type results... but by and large we're playing great football and scoring for fun.

Likewise, I work for myself and put quite a lot of pressure on myself to succeed and do well - and there's obviously times where things aren't going how you want... but I'm still enjoying myself!

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2016, 10:52:40 am »
I'm enjoying it. Their were elements of last season even when Klopp came in that drove me insane like losing at Watford & West Ham but other than our trip to Turfmoor I've loved every minute of this one.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2016, 10:58:57 am »
Never expected to be winning the league at the beginning of the season and still don't. I'm just excited at watching us play and can see we are heading in the right direction.  You can tell the players are enjoying their football whilst putting their all into it.  Like someone said above if you can't enjoy it at the minute you might as well pack in.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2016, 11:01:26 am »
I'm loving it because by and large, unlike 2013/14, we're not solely reliant on 2-3 players to perform in order to get results. Quite frankly, if you don't enjoy watching us at the moment (and buy into the lazy media narrative that we can't defend) then you really need to watch another sport.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2016, 11:05:56 am »
Of course. Its better than being rubbish. Also with all the shite things that have been thrown up in the 'real' world in 2016 its definitely made me see Football in a different perspective.

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2016, 11:10:54 am »
Something different is happening at this club right now and I like it. The hope that we will win the league (this season or next, or the season after) is stronger than ever and I enjoy games as I havent in a long, long time.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2016, 11:18:15 am »
It's nice to have no off the pitch dramas or any sort of nonsense distracting from the football. The winning and playing well is quite nice aswell ;D

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2016, 11:24:17 am »
It's boss.

Anyone that has anxiety about the league 10 games in needs to chill out. There's every chance we won't be in the shake up and if we are you'll need your finger nails then

Enjoy having an attacking exciting team to watch - our forwards are wrecking this league and if you can't enjoy that you should move on because it's as good as football gets

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2016, 11:36:23 am »
If the target was Champions League football then we really couldn't be in a better position.

I'm enjoying it and I'm absolutely terrified at the same time, it's magic.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2016, 11:55:12 am »
Ba ra Ba Ba Baaaa

Yes I am. Course it's tense most games and that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach before a big game isn't always ideal but I'd rather that than conditioning myself to feeling nothing when we had some terrible spells over the last few years.  I became numb to defeats and I could block them out a little so that they didn't ruin my weekend.  Given the choice I'd have the current feeling of 90% enjoyment and 10% stress every time.

Offline jdegner

• Main Stander
  • LOVREN 90+1
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2016, 12:01:57 pm »
The only reason not to be enjoying it* right now is worrying how long will it last.... cause it can't last till end of may, can it?

*playing the best football in league

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 5, 2016, 12:04:56 pm »
I'm enjoying it but then again I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

In fact I think my glass currently floweth over.
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25 on: November 5, 2016, 12:05:31 pm »
Reckon he might have enjoyed it a bit less though  if he'd spent his career with Scunthorpe or Forfar  Athletic   ;)

Or the team he supported in his boyhood where he would have won the sum total of fuckall.

Offline LFC_NCL

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: November 5, 2016, 12:15:11 pm »
loving every minute of it, although i thought 13/14 season was some of the best football i had seen us play since 87/88, i mean, that arsenal game, i was actually laughing in disbelief, we all know the one, but this year we seem to have all the right ingredients to really have some great moments, i expect a roller coaster, i expect to have no fingernails left, but i wouldnt have it any other way

klopp has brought an aura back to us as a club, and its not a case of IF, but WHEN the silverware starts rolling in

great time to be a red

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 5, 2016, 12:20:43 pm »
Yes.

But I feel like we just had a similar thread. 10 games - though I guess it's really a season now. And yes - some really interesting stuff going on with this club.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 5, 2016, 12:27:32 pm »
Of course. Its better than being rubbish. Also with all the shite things that have been thrown up in the 'real' world in 2016 its definitely made me see Football in a different perspective.

Y'know, I think you're growing on me.

As for OP, if we ain't going to have fun then really what's the point?
« Last Edit: November 5, 2016, 12:30:05 pm by Flinstone »
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #29 on: November 5, 2016, 12:32:49 pm »
Sort of
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2016, 12:34:29 pm »
Allways do but more so this season ;)

There's still that bit of nerves and moaning at our defenders at times but enjoying it so much more  knowing we're just going to get better and better under Klopp and that brings a wry smile  :scarf :scarf

Online Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2016, 12:48:46 pm »
Massively enjoying the season so far :)

Moreso than 13/14 in fact, due to the sense that something special is brewing longterm.

Loved 13/14 but always had the feeling it was a flash in the pan situation and as such, unsustainable.

This feels different...
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2016, 12:55:16 pm »
I'm loving it and can't wait for each game.  Winning the league is the destination (or at least we all hope so) but if you can't enjoy the journey then what's the fucking point?

In answer to the "do elite sportspeople enjoy it in the main" question:  I think that there will be variance there dependent on personality type, but I'd say that the majority would.  Look at Suarez for example:  You can't tell me that he'd rather be anywhere else than in a competitive football match.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2016, 12:56:27 pm »
This is a very interesting topic, and one i've been thinking of a lot recently.

In 13/14 I had some of the greatest days of my life following Liverpool, especially the Boss Nights after Arsenal and Man City at home. But at other times I was incredibly negative, it was tough to enjoy because I was one of the biggest posters in the RAWK shithouse thread during the run in. Constantly scared of what would go wrong. I'm a logical person, but during that run in I became the most superstitious man alive, I would wear the same shirt to every match, I would say similar things, I would even make sure my toothbrush was facing the same way and in the same spot when I finished. I was a wreck.

Now i'm focusing on not being narcissistic enough to believe that the direction of my toothbrush decides whether we win the league, and accepting it's more down to the 11 lads on the field.

I want to enjoy this, it's what football is all about, enjoy the ride and if it goes wrong in the end? Well at least we enjoyed the run. It's better than not enjoying it and then losing anyway.

Up the reds!
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2016, 01:02:40 pm »
To clarify, I'm not wishing we were crap so it'd matter less. Of course I'm delighted at the direction of things, but that makes it matter more so that makes it all more nerve wracking.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »
To clarify, I'm not wishing we were crap so it'd matter less. Of course I'm delighted at the direction of things, but that makes it matter more so that makes it all more nerve wracking.

I agree and maybe I typed my post badly from my phone. It ramps up the nerves when there's more riding on every game but that's still far preferable to the alternative of going through the motions.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 5, 2016, 01:13:19 pm »
I'm enjoying the fuck out of it.

Ask me in three months when we're in a close title chase and my answer will probably not be the same.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #37 on: November 5, 2016, 01:18:36 pm »
Yeah it's brilliant. Life is about the journey, not the destination. That said I'm gonna go mental WHEN Klopp wins something  :)

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 5, 2016, 01:19:44 pm »
Yes, it's great fun. I learnt after Suarez left to just enjoy stuff as you dont know how long it'll be here for. Obviously I still get super nervous and it's not enjoyable watching Luiz and Fabregas standing over a free kick right outside the box in the last minute when you are holding on to a narrow lead at Chelsea etc etc but those days also bring the best highs, overall it's great, we've got a great squad, some great lads and play boss football under one of the best managers in the world. It wont last for that many years so just enjoy it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #39 on: November 5, 2016, 01:26:06 pm »
I am enjoying it yes. To be honest I am not even thinking about the league at the moment. Going back into the past, as Bob Pasisley used to say, take each game as it comes, and see where we are at the end. In the meantime, just enjoy the football we are playing.  :scarf
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"