Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 336636 times)

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #160 on: August 3, 2016, 02:05:23 pm »
It's bizarre, if he were Scouse, South American, Spainish, we'd be singing songs making banners idiolising him in the same way as Sureaz/ Torres, suppose it's got to work both ways but saddens me a little someone so special and that bond isn't there

For me is the fact that he is so unashamedly greedy at times - it takes away from the brilliance. Yeah yeah all strikers are greedy but he takes it to the limit, trying shots from impossible angles when he should just pass it
Suarez was also greedy but knew when to give it - hopefully Klopp can improve that side of Sturridges game, the goalscoring talent takes care of itself

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #161 on: August 3, 2016, 02:09:34 pm »
I think this has probably been discussed on other Sturridge threads, but I think his goal to minutes ratio is helped by the fact he has misses a lot of game time through injury. He obviously had an amazing 13/14 but then after that, he would score, get injured come back slowly and then score once or twice again before being injured.

Basically, I can't see him having Suarez's goals to minutes rate f he stays fully fit, which is fine. 25 goals in 30 games would be phenomenal. I'd be happy with 20 in 30+

Why would that affect his goal to minute ratio? You could argue it would be even better if he stayed injury free, as then that's less games spent getting back to match fitness/sharpness.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 3, 2016, 02:13:14 pm »
I would imagine that Sturridge is going to be protected this season via rotation. I would expect him to start a majority of league games (when fit of course) - but Origi and even Ings will get some starts at striker.  I also expect if we are in good positions late in the game - he will be pulled at 70 mins or so to let others run at tired defenses.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 3, 2016, 02:15:38 pm »
Why would that affect his goal to minute ratio? You could argue it would be even better if he stayed injury free, as then that's less games spent getting back to match fitness/sharpness.
Sturridge comes on as a late sub, against Norwich was it? and then scores in 7 minutes or something like that. That's better than him starting the game and scoring a hat trick in terms of goals to minutes
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: August 3, 2016, 02:15:45 pm »
Yes. Injuries can only be detrimental to your per minute performance levels. Still fairer than per game stats, though.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #165 on: August 3, 2016, 02:18:19 pm »
Sturridge comes on as a late sub, against Norwich was it? and then scores in 7 minutes or something like that. That's better than him starting the game and scoring a hat trick in terms of goals to minutes

It doesn't really work like that.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 3, 2016, 02:21:24 pm »

That's one game. You need to think over the course of many games and thousands of minutes.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: August 3, 2016, 02:24:26 pm »

Indeed, strange comment!! He must have played about 40 games for us where he looks like he should be in a hospital bed not a football pitch or at best rusty after not playing for so long!! If he was fit all the time it'd be even better, no doubt about it.

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #168 on: August 3, 2016, 02:25:18 pm »

Adding to this:

Last season he played 14 games (979 minutes) and got a ratio of 0.74
The season before, he played 12 (753) and the ratio was 0.48
Before that, 21 games (1726) with a ratio of 1.10
Before that, when he only played half a season for us due to signing in Jan, 14 games (1088) with a ratio of 0.83.

That puts your theory to bed. His best ratio came in his largely injury free season, second best ratio was the injury free 2nd half of the season when he signed for us, 3rd and 4th ratios were his injury ravaged seasons.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 3, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »
West Ham it was btw.

Anyway, in that sitaution, it did work like that. his goals to minutes ratio was obviously very good in 13/14. Since then, he's missed so many minutes, especially when Rodgers was here - but he did manage to chip in with a goal or two when he returned from injury, before being injured again. Sturridge is a special case when it comes to goals and minutes played because of this imo, which is why, apparently, he has a better goals to minutes ratio than Suarez, even with Luis's amazing final two seasons. Basically, if he does come back and stays fit, I wouldn't expect him to have that same insane ratio that makes it better than Suarez's numbers. He'll be fitter, play more minutes, and have more chances to score, but also will have times when he might dip out of form, or play an amazing game where he assists someone else goals etc .. his goals to minutes will probably become less insane due to actually playing full games and playing week after week.

Or I'm wrong and he continues to post Suarez like numbers ... a goal every 115 mins ... it's unrealistic to expect that imo

Adding to this:

Last season he played 14 games (979 minutes) and got a ratio of 0.74
The season before, he played 12 (753) and the ratio was 0.48
Before that, 21 games (1726) with a ratio of 1.10
Before that, when he only played half a season for us due to signing in Jan, 14 games (1088) with a ratio of 0.83.

That puts your theory to bed. His best ratio came in his largely injury free season, second best ratio was the injury free 2nd half of the season when he signed for us, 3rd and 4th ratios were his injury ravaged seasons.
I know it's moving the goalposts slightly, but that 13/14 season, well - next to Sterling and Suarez, in our all out attack tactics, really helped him. He was boss too, obviously.

What I'm saying is, that if his injuries don't allow his figures to become closer to average. Sturridge is good, but he's not on Suarez levels, which the goals to minutes numbers would suggest
« Last Edit: August 3, 2016, 02:34:19 pm by Sir Psycho Sexy »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: August 3, 2016, 02:34:06 pm »
West Ham it was btw.

Anyway, in that sitaution, it did work like that. his goals to minutes ratio was obviously very good in 13/14. Since then, he's missed so many minutes, especially when Rodgers was here - but he did manage to chip in with a goal or two when he returned from injury, before being injured again. Sturridge is a special case when it comes to goals and minutes played because of this imo, which is why, apparently, he has a better goals to minutes ratio than Suarez, even with Luis's amazing final two seasons. Basically, if he does come back and stays fit, I wouldn't expect him to have that same insane ratio that makes it better than Suarez's numbers. He'll be fitter, play more minutes, and have more chances to score, but also will have times when he might dip out of form, or play an amazing game where he assists someone else goals etc .. his goals to minutes will probably become less insane due to actually playing full games and playing week after week.

Or I'm wrong and he continues to post Suarez like numbers ... a goal every 115 mins ... it's unrealistic to expect that imo

See above.

You're underrating Sturridge's ability to score goals.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 3, 2016, 02:42:40 pm »
Trying to put my fantasy team together.  Do I have Dan in my team, will he play most of the time or will he be subbed or start on the bench.....

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 3, 2016, 02:44:57 pm »
I'm not sure how often he'll play 90 minutes Paul. Probably not the best fantasy player unless he's ridiculously cheap. What's his price vs Aguero and Kane, say?

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #173 on: August 3, 2016, 02:45:10 pm »
Trying to put my fantasy team together.  Do I have Dan in my team, will he play most of the time or will he be subbed or start on the bench.....

As long as he's fit, he starts imo. Unless Origi really gives Klopp no choice by continuing his vast improvement and becomes ridiculously good.

to be honest different games may call for different front men. Sturridge will suit some, Origi will suit others. Tricky one.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 3, 2016, 07:25:14 pm »
I would imagine that Sturridge is going to be protected this season via rotation. I would expect him to start a majority of league games (when fit of course) - but Origi and even Ings will get some starts at striker.  I also expect if we are in good positions late in the game - he will be pulled at 70 mins or so to let others run at tired defenses.

I'm really fascinated to see Klopp's Liverpool 'team' this year, there's so much that's going to be different from last season I think even though we saw some signs of how he wants us to play.

And the Sturridge/Origi thing is the biggest thing for me. To my vaguely knowledgable eyes, Origi seems more suited to the team Klopp wants to build than Sturridge, although at present Sturridge is a better out and out striker and is the best in the league along with Aguero. We might play both, though that's unlikely or Klopp may rotate between the two but it wouldn't surprise me if Origi gets the nod more often than not. He got better and better as the season progressed last season and definitely has the talent. Also, having Sturridge on the bench to come on is a pretty handy option to have. Either way, it's going to be exciting, particularly with Origi for me because there's so much more to come from him whereas with Sturridge, we pretty much know he's an awesome striker. He just needs to stay fit.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #175 on: August 3, 2016, 07:26:51 pm »
I'm really fascinated to see Klopp's Liverpool 'team' this year, there's so much that's going to be different from last season I think even though we saw some signs of how he wants us to play.

And the Sturridge/Origi thing is the biggest thing for me. To my vaguely knowledgable eyes, Origi seems more suited to the team Klopp wants to build than Sturridge, although at present Sturridge is a better out and out striker and is the best in the league along with Aguero. We might play both, though that's unlikely or Klopp may rotate between the two but it wouldn't surprise me if Origi gets the nod more often than not. He got better and better as the season progressed last season and definitely has the talent. Also, having Sturridge on the bench to come on is a pretty handy option to have. Either way, it's going to be exciting, particularly with Origi for me because there's so much more to come from him whereas with Sturridge, we pretty much know he's an awesome striker. He just needs to stay fit.
The problem is that they're both my favourite players to watch right now

4-4-fucking-2 pls

:(

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 3, 2016, 07:54:33 pm »
On Origi's pre-injury form it would be difficult to leave him out, such pace and power

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 3, 2016, 09:13:23 pm »
One step at a time for Daniel - baby steps - just try to stay injury free till around Christmas, before talking of becoming world class.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 3, 2016, 09:41:04 pm »
If he can reproduce his 13/14 form and play like he did that season then we'll win the league i think
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 3, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
If he can reproduce his 13/14 form and play like he did that season then we'll win the league i think

How long will be dreaming about that one magical season? Don't do it to yourselves - we've been talking about that season for two years now, and invariably Daniel keeps breaking down. Let's just hope he stays fit, because if he does - he will score goals.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 3, 2016, 10:04:21 pm »
One step at a time for Daniel - baby steps - just try to stay injury free till around Christmas, before talking of becoming world class.

He's already world class.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 3, 2016, 11:33:17 pm »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #182 on: August 3, 2016, 11:38:52 pm »
The problem is that they're both my favourite players to watch right now

4-4-fucking-2 pls

:(

Yeah squad seems much better suited to 442

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #183 on: August 3, 2016, 11:57:27 pm »
I'm expecting Sturridge to score at a goal every 110-140 minutes. If he stays fit 20+ goals is on the cards though I reckon he'll be subbed a bit because Origi is boss and best not to push his limits.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 4, 2016, 12:03:15 am »
What I'm saying is, that if his injuries don't allow his figures to become closer to average. Sturridge is good, but he's not on Suarez levels, which the goals to minutes numbers would suggest

He's scored goals at a fantastic rate whenever he's had a run of games. In 10/11, in 12/13, in 13/14, in 15/16. You could do the math and I bet there wouldn't be an awful lot of difference.

13/14 was no fluke - it was just him playing his only full season up front.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 4, 2016, 12:51:10 am »
Anyway, in that sitaution, it did work like that. his goals to minutes ratio was obviously very good in 13/14. Since then, he's missed so many minutes, especially when Rodgers was here - but he did manage to chip in with a goal or two when he returned from injury, before being injured again.

Sorry to come back to this - but it just isn't correct at all. In 14/15 he only had 2 runs of games, and the shorter one was only 1 goal in 270 mins. In 15/16 he scored 2 in 243 mins before getting injured again so wasn't amazingly favourable to his goal record either.

Have a look yourself. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daniel-sturridge/leistungsdaten/spieler/47082/plus/0?saison=2014 http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/daniel-sturridge/leistungsdaten/spieler/47082/plus/0?saison=2015

(Bear in mind he was fit onwards from the Aston Villa game - just rested for the Europa League)

The reason his goal record is ridiculous is because of what he did during his 3 longest runs of games for us. You're entitled to think that if he'd been fully fit the last 2 seasons he wouldn't have maintained his record (though I'd strongly disagree) but there is no boosting while nipping in with goals in cameos and dipping out, that's not what happened.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 4, 2016, 04:45:07 am »
Since 2013/14 an injury ravage Sturridge has still scored at a goal every 160 minutes or so and last season it was a goal every 130 minutes.

With a well balanced team, preseason and clean run I think it's reasonable to estimate he will score at a rate of a goal every 110-140 minutes.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #187 on: August 4, 2016, 05:49:38 am »

Becoming world class? He already is and has been for a few years.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 4, 2016, 05:56:50 am »
Becoming world class? He already is and has been for a few years.

I agree. His injury record does not detract from his quality.
YNWA.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #189 on: August 4, 2016, 06:41:46 am »
It's also rather important to remember that his best scoring season is when he was playing alongside Suarez who was pulling defenses all over the place and causing general panic.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: August 4, 2016, 06:52:13 am »
Since 2013/14 an injury ravage Sturridge has still scored at a goal every 160 minutes or so and last season it was a goal every 130 minutes.

With a well balanced team, preseason and clean run I think it's reasonable to estimate he will score at a rate of a goal every 110-140 minutes.

I also agree that he is a 1 in 2 striker, but I think he will be closer to the 110 in your scenario if he stays healthy. He's having a full preseason for the first time in many years, that should help him immensely. Fingers crossed he does maintain the pace.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #191 on: August 4, 2016, 07:15:22 am »
From what I've seen in pre-season I don't think he has his pace back and I don't think he'll ever get it back. He's still a really good player, and I think as a second choice striker in a top team he's more than worth the money. He will need to still up his all round game one or two notches if he's ever going to be a world class striker again now though.

There's such a big difference in what he offers physically compared to Origi that I think they'll end up getting a similar amount of game time, particularly if Origi builds on his second half of last season.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #192 on: August 4, 2016, 07:19:26 am »
From what I've seen in pre-season I don't think he has his pace back and I don't think he'll ever get it back. He's still a really good player, and I think as a second choice striker in a top team he's more than worth the money. He will need to still up his all round game one or two notches if he's ever going to be a world class striker again now though.

There's such a big difference in what he offers physically compared to Origi that I think they'll end up getting a similar amount of game time, particularly if Origi builds on his second half of last season.

I think the burst of pace over short distances is still there, as seen with his 1 v 1 vs Roma. The loss of pace over long distances is more debatable.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 4, 2016, 07:40:59 am »
I'm relieved Klopp is building an attack without relying on Sturridge. We've done this to ourselves the past two seasons, and he's invariably broken down.

Just going to look at him playing as a bonus, rather than expected and reliant on.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #194 on: August 4, 2016, 08:46:43 am »

I was beginning to worry the same but that burst was there in flashes against Roma. He has only played two games unlike the others, another thing to consider.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 4, 2016, 09:04:17 am »
Good thing about Sturridge in terms of pace is that he's got other things to his game so even if he loses it (I haven't seen much of our pre season matches) and he'll still be one of the best in the league. With us in particular, the additions of Wijanuldum and in particular Mane mean that it's not going to be much of an issue. Anyway, he still looked sharp in that respect for England in the summer so I don't know if it's something to worry about.

I said yesterday that it wouldn't surprise me if Origi starts more this season with Sturridge on the bench - Sturridge coming on against tiring defences would be brilliant although he probably and understandably wouldn't be too happy with that.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #196 on: August 4, 2016, 09:27:33 am »
Good thing about Sturridge in terms of pace is that he's got other things to his game so even if he loses it (I haven't seen much of our pre season matches) and he'll still be one of the best in the league. With us in particular, the additions of Wijanuldum and in particular Mane mean that it's not going to be much of an issue. Anyway, he still looked sharp in that respect for England in the summer so I don't know if it's something to worry about.

I said yesterday that it wouldn't surprise me if Origi starts more this season with Sturridge on the bench - Sturridge coming on against tiring defences would be brilliant although he probably and understandably wouldn't be too happy with that.

Sturridge as a bench player? I think he'd be looking to move on within the year.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #197 on: August 4, 2016, 11:46:11 am »
It's a tough one because they're both simply too good to bench. Similar to the Suarez / Sturridge conundrum in 13/14. I'd hope that Klopp will find a set up where Origi plays on the shoulder, stretching play and dominating CB's with his pace and power, while danny drops off slightly in the pocket and works his magic. If we do find a workable formation that includes both of them and that doesn't compromise our pressing game we'll be unplayable.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #198 on: August 4, 2016, 11:47:12 am »
And thats without discussing Mane who I reckon will absolutely explode at some point in the very near future...

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 4, 2016, 11:53:29 am »

He still has pace he's just very economical with it, for the chipped effort against Roma he left the defence for dead. I wonder if it's a confidence thing more than anything, he hasn't looked slow exactly he just hasn't used his pace to run in behind much recently.