Author Topic: Jürgen Klopp: Why This is Going to be Something Special (Part II)  (Read 56514 times)

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Re: Jürgen Klopp: Why This is Going to be Something Special (Part II)
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2016, 11:36:53 am »
We will see in regards to the owners backing Jurgen as no money spent in January and a free signing (Matip) looking like the big addition to defence this summer may have the doubters wondering already. The owners had a wee windfall the past 18 months in regards to bulking up our transfer funds with the sale of Suarez and then Sterling. I don't see that happening this summer, the sale of one player could fund 2 or even 3 class additions, so already Jurgen could be in a less favourable position than Brendan due to the smaller wallet in hand. Still hope he does get the backing he deserves as if we win the Europa then  we get the stage top players want to showcase their stuff, the CL. I don't think we will get the bite of that apple too often with our current squad thus better take advantage of it this summer when buying CL quality players.

Not spending in January is no indication at all of what funds will be made available.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2016, 12:16:40 pm »
Not spending in January is no indication at all of what funds will be made available.

It is an indication that their overall spending strategy hadn't changed though.  We've gone penniless a few times in January and our need or lack of on the pitch hasn't altered FSGs spending plans.

I don't expect us to spend much unless we sell quite a few players at the same time. Roger's sprees were funded by Suarez and Sterling.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2016, 12:19:43 pm »
The big thing I remembered from 2013/2014 was that during our winning spree, although we hadn't won anything I was loving every minute of it and I was convinced that even if we didn't win it that year we would soon because we had so many things going for us.

ok the year and a half later that followed was brutal.

But I think we're getting back to that level slowly....with a more experienced head in Klopp leading us to being a better team not just in this country but in Europe. That's what we need to be and not just for a short term basis.

I worry how we will be when he leaves and how we'll react as a club.....but that's for another day. Which is why it's imperative (many of us have thought since FSG's arrival) that we need a proper footballing CEO, and the correct structure in the hierarchy of this club.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2016, 12:51:37 pm »
Should've seen the reaction you'd get for saying that sort of thing while the pack of amateurs were working here.

You get a rookie manager,  you end up with rookie staff and the results will follow the trend.

Haha don't worry I remember getting stick when I said O'Driscoll was a stupid addition in the summer
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »
It is an indication that their overall spending strategy hadn't changed though.  We've gone penniless a few times in January and our need or lack of on the pitch hasn't altered FSGs spending plans.

I don't expect us to spend much unless we sell quite a few players at the same time. Roger's sprees were funded by Suarez and Sterling.

Didn't we post a profit of £60m for last season and Sterlings sale wasn't included as it happened after the end of May so we should have a fair bit to spend, plus we should be able to add another £20m, at least, from the sales we do make.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »

I get that we bought a bunch of players after sales of Suarez and Sterling, but does that mean there's a linear relationship between selling and buying? No, it doesn't. I'm pretty sure FSG and the TC are not sitting on their hands thinking: "Gee we'd love to get that Gotze. We'll have to wait until we have some windfalls from player sales, though."

This is the age of mega sky deals. All the PL clubs are cashed up to their noses. Including our own. If there's a player we really want, who also wants to come to us, who represents value and who isn't having his head turned by Barca/Bayern/Real/City/PSG, we've got as good a chance as anyone of signing them.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2016, 01:59:04 pm »
Money money money, money money... in a rich.

Hold on, all this accountants talk has absolutely fuck all to do with the OP. Would make just as much sense for the accountants to move to the liverpool country thread

Random

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2016, 01:59:58 pm »

That is what I see too as the aim was always to fund the club from within thus we would never go down the route of Chelsea or City where the owner(s) would just hand out 40m here n there for the players required. Makes sense as we don't have the endless oil funds / black market created wallet to run with those clubs but at the same time short term goals cannot be built on freebies, young buys with potential that is 3 or 4 years away or replacing world class players with the best the midtable has. There has to be a middle ground somewhere and its up to Klopp to show the club the way I guess. Jaysus the poor man has an endless list.... has to remind the fans how to support the club, tell reporters how to ask their questions, squeeze the heart and spirit out of squad that is not his and ultimately show the owners and transfer committee this is how you rebuild a club. Small tasks indeed.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2016, 02:02:47 pm »

We will spend loads this season. Plus if you are worried about it then the likes of Benteke may very well go and boost the fund. I very much doubt a lack of cash will hamper us.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2016, 02:06:35 pm »
Don't think we will be short of money at all this summer- new TV deal, cash flow from the new stand, some player sales, increased commercial revenue. I genuinely think most premier league teams will break their transfer records in the next two seasons.

The real issue we will have is getting the few quality improvements in to really send our team to the next level. We could see 10+ outs this summer and only 4/5 incoming- getting each of those right is the most important thing. I'm looking forward to seeing a full Klopp team next summer after a pre-season working on tactics, shape and fitness- I think we will be right in the mix next season.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2016, 10:01:56 pm »
I think it's kind of helped that he didn't go the transfer market in Jan. It's forced a degree of stability, and taken away a weapon from those that want to have a go at him (poor buys\overpaying). I have no idea what he is like in the transfer market , but there's always some who will disagree with his buys.  That said the sheer sense of optimism and his enthusiasm has pretty much extinguished the naysayers.
Promoted youngster are generally given more scope for mistakes than expensive (or even inexpensive buys). If Klopp is half as good at transfers as he is in transforming what he's got , then we're headed for world dominance.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2016, 03:12:09 pm »
This manager at this club is something special. It just "fits" for want of a better word. Klopp's Dortmund were famous for these last minute goals based on simply wanting to score and refusing to lose. This will not be a one off, it has already happened several times this seasons. WBA, Arsenal, and most notably Norwich. True we may still lose a few, but it will not be want of our players not trying on not believing  Our fans have willed the team to win when all hope has been been lost before but recently have become jaded. Dortmund might have just rekindled something. Klopp and a rejuvenated kop can be a formidable opponent for any club.   

It helps that Klopp does not need money to build a title winning squad, although I am sure money will be available if he wants it

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:13:40 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2016, 03:29:01 pm »
January 2, 2016, 11:41:17 PM »
The club will back him, that's a given. He will get time to bring in who he wants and implement whatever changes he see's fit. Anyone who's not performing or giving 100% effort will be out, Klopp will see to that. There's not alot he can do at this stage except instill belief and make do with what he's got. This will be toughest period of his reign! The players are not only playing for a starting role but also for their place at this club. I still believe even if we don't achieve top 4 we will have a special season; be that by winning the UEFA cup or a domestic cup double it would be typical of us to finish 8th and go on a run akin to the 00/01 season.

Special alright!

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2016, 03:35:21 pm »
When Klopp was hired I was pretty much ready to use this season as one of acclimatisation. For Klopp to understand the strengths and weaknesses of his squad, and maybe more importantly, begin to understand the nuances of English football. I was pretty comfortable with the fact that this period may not necessarily bear fruit until next season. I now think the last 8, or potentially 9, games of the season may be crucial to our long term development.

We’ve seen an upturn in fortunes from about February onwards – probably since the League Cup Final. It’s probably driven be numerous factors but what it has provided is momentum. It’s provided hope for a fanbase that still seems to be under a cloud from the exhilarating, but ultimately disappointing, 2013/14 title bid. Maybe that cloud has been hanging over head for even longer and can be traced back to to the Benitez and Hicks/Gilette era. Klopp is the first manager that the entire fanbase has got behind since Rafa’s first 2 or 3 seasons. When the fanbase, manager and players have that connection then Liverpool Football Club is at it’s best.

For far too long the relationship between fans and manager and players has been distant. One of Klopp’s biggest feats has been to try and repair that damage. Nights like last Thursday go a long way to strengthening that bond. Nights like last Thursday, allayed to Klopp’s magnetic personality and pedrigree, get everyone associated with the club pulling in the same direction. The end to this season may have a big bearing on what happens next season. If we can continue this momentum and take that into next season then who knows what will be possible. A good end to the season will provide a huge injection of belief and optimism for a group of supporters who have been starved of that for the vast majority of the last 6 or 7 years. It’ll do wonders for belief within the playing squad also.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2016, 03:48:06 pm »
Sorry for chopping in your text, and apologies for singling you out, but I don't get this sentiment.

In my view Origi is his own. It's his body, mind, psyche, legs, and feet. He has made himself good, not anyone else. He is the one playing every minute he's on the pitch, not Klopp or anyone else. Sure, there has been influence by Klopp, and some tactics has changed since Rodgers, but I'll never understand this fascination of transcribing one persons relative success to another person. It's possible, or even very likely that Klopp has had an effect on him, but at the end of the day it's Origi (and the rest of the players) doing all that stuff on the pitch, not anyone else.

Obviously Klopp has had an effect on the team (and I'm a big fan of Klopp if that needs to be mentioned), but this idea of usurpation I'll never understand.

What Klopp has done with Origi and with players throughout his managerial career is anything but usurpation. It's quite the opposite. He gives the player the power-not take it away. Ask Origi-he'll give Klopp all the credit-more than is deserved probably. He has several times in interviews already.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2016, 02:07:10 am »
My first entry in the thread as it was the only one I could find referencing Jurgen.

Oh, my, fucking, god. Who knew football could be so fun again? I was writing on Twitter earlier that Klopp basically chose us- which is a weird way of a managerial appointment working- though I'm sure FSG sought him out as was the right thing to do. But within me as a person, I feel like a person of his stature had some idea that he wanted to come to us- well at least I want to believe that.

When we played them in the friendly, Jurgen (now our Jurgen) touched the This Is Anfield sign and we thought it was just a mark of respect and a nicety about how we used to be. But then he walked out onto the pitch and he stared out the Kop on the day of that friendly and even then, even then, I still thought then he was just paying homage to our past glories. Being respectful, and being a good lad in our famous ground, from a team achieving far beyond where we could even have dreamed at the time.

Ultimately, after checking his private jet many times on here and after loads of gifs in a massive thread that I was giddy over, it turned out he was actually our manager. Jurgen Klopp wanted to manage us. Jurgen Klopp was in charge. How many managers have we had where we were excited from the start? Based on that, I started to question whether we were being too giddy, and whether it would all fall in on itself and we would look back on that thread and think 'Why were were so excited over him'.

Part of me wants to believe in romance. I want to believe that he touched the sign wanting to emulate previous managers and wanting to become one, I want to believe that he was looking at the Kop like he desired within himself to wake it up, that he felt like he could bring it back to singing with both barrels loaded again like we did under Rafa and in the years before I was following with Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish and Houllier.

We've had some fantastic results. We've had nights to remember for our entire lives, again. Whether we win the cup or not, I'll never forget the Dortmund game so long as a pulse beats blood around my body. And he's only been here the best part of 7-8 months. Both legs of the last two games in Europe are all memorable. 2-0 vs Man United, 1-1 vs Man United. 1-1 vs Dortmund away and then THAT 4-3 vs Dortmund at home.

With wins against Bournemouth and Everton afterwards that leaves you looking at the Southampton result like 'What if?'.

I'll read the entirety of this thread when I'm sober. But I can't help but feel like we are coming up the hill again. I can't help but look at every opponent we play like 'bring them on' rather than 'Oh fuck, not them'. After Dortmund my mates said "Who do you want" and I said in kind "Any of the fuckers".

I've not been on the Kop for years when it's been bouncing like that, and I'm hugging tens of people I don't even know at the full time whistle- standing on my seat, waving my scarf to Ring Of Fire and having to sit down during the celebrations because I've run out of breath.

I'm not as erudite as some others in regards to tactics, or formations, or all of that shit. I turn up, pay my money, and watch the team and hope for the best and sing them on their way as best I can.

But presumably based on the title, this thread is the second that says it's going to be something special. And I feel it within my bones that this certainly is going to be something special.

I'm buzzing for every game again. We're back on the map again.

Here's our Sian from here, from that thread I mention and I can't help but think she had it right completely

Before this thread takes its place in RAWK history I'd like to say how fun it's been to be a daft twat with all of you, regardless of any bickering or differences we may have had over the last few months.

We're a good bunch, actually, when all's told. I'd hope there's not many of us on here that actually enjoy a manager of ours having a bad time of it. I do think that we've been miserable for quite a while and it's nice to just be silly for once, you know? Nice to be hopeful.

Football means quite a lot to me, you see. I argue with it a lot. I'm not the kid I was before - I'm thinking about savings, and mortgages, and my career, and how long I've got left to have babies, and how I'm going to make it all fit in with said career. There's more important stuff, and I realise that now. And yet football still pisses me off viscerally, and yet football still makes me giddy - just like it has today.

I've got a feeling about this bloke, you know. I really do. I think he's here for the right reasons. I think we all know it, and that's exactly why we're being daft twats.

Also, he's fit.

I went looking for my own posts and found this. Especially the bolded sentence. Let's be daft twats!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:24:56 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2016, 03:30:14 am »
Reckon Klopp always had a soft spot for us - Germans grew up on Liverpool glory in Europe in the 70's beginning with when we beat  Monchengladbach and continuing with Bayern in 81.

That Dortmund friendly obviously gave him a chance to see what Anfield and the club were all about and he looked spellbound when he was stood in the centre circle staring at the Kop .

I am sure that's when he either consciously or sub-consciously decided that he would come here to manage us - the lure was too great and impossible to resist .

This man is going to do great things here . He has already set the ball rolling and it is just the beginning ...

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2016, 03:32:49 am »
Klopp has made life enjoyable again

He was made for us

Its a mutual love affair

He loves life, he loves passion, he loves the need to believe in something higher than just yourself

He believes in LFC, and we believe in him

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2016, 03:47:28 am »
Klopp has made life enjoyable again

He was made for us

Its a mutual love affair

He loves life, he loves passion, he loves the need to believe in something higher than just yourself

He believes in LFC, and we believe in him

Well fuck you very much for putting what I put into about 600 words into 100 ;D
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:41 am »

:D

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2016, 04:00:35 am »

Hahaha. You mentioned the Klopp GIF thread Hij , that still makes me laugh to this day .

If you're ever feeling down , just read it from the Sunday night when Brendan got fired for about the next 300 pages or whatever.

The flight tracking section especially is funny as fuck !!  ;D
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2016, 08:02:45 am »
He had made football fun again to watch for me again at least..lol

And not only that, we do look like something special is going on again.

Hahaha. You mentioned the Klopp GIF thread Hij , that still makes me laugh to this day .

If you're ever feeling down , just read it from the Sunday night when Brendan got fired for about the next 300 pages or whatever.

The flight tracking section especially is funny as fuck !!  ;D

I'll remember that. ;D

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/652153803643314176
a special mention to the internet terrorists

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2016, 08:18:06 am »

The club were prepared to pay the £37m for Teixera in January, but Klopp vetoed it saying it wasn't worth the money...

Or so the papers said...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:02 am »
My first entry in the thread as it was the only one I could find referencing Jurgen.

Oh, my, fucking, god. Who knew football could be so fun again? I was writing on Twitter earlier that Klopp basically chose us- which is a weird way of a managerial appointment working- though I'm sure FSG sought him out as was the right thing to do. But within me as a person, I feel like a person of his stature had some idea that he wanted to come to us- well at least I want to believe that.

So... what you're saying is... we were chosen?  ;) ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2016, 12:25:26 pm »
He had made football fun again to watch for me again at least..lol

And not only that, we do look like something special is going on again.

I'll remember that. ;D

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/652153803643314176
a special mention to the internet terrorists
I do belive Craig here got it right;

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2016, 05:08:05 pm »
We will challenge for the title next season even if we don`t bring anyone let alone if we address a couple of issues in our team. I can feel it, I can sense it.

Since the Villa game we`re top of the league and have scored the most goals. It was the moment we got the likes of Coutinho, Sturridge and Origi back from the injuries, it was the moment we realized Benteke needed to be benched permanently for his negative influence on our attacking play and it was the moment we had more time to prepare for games and had better luck with injuries.

The reason I say we`d be up there even with only two new guys who are already ours is that Klopp got to know his players better and what works and what doesn`t and also that our players are able to adopt his methods better and better with every game.

Our attack is transformed and you have that same feeling as in 13/14 when we were lethal in front of the goal. Reasonable luck with injuries and goalkeeper improvement will go a long way to ensure we`re up there with City and Spurs next season.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2016, 05:22:24 pm »
The first thing Klopp needs to do and I believe has done to some extent is to learn who in the squad can change and play in an effective team. There's no point shipping players out who could show a big improvement (like Lovren this season). Only when the real weaknesses are seen then it's time to go into the market and maximise the money available. He also needs to get a good balance of flair and ability to defend. He needs a team that back each other up and don't go missing under pressure.

It'll be interesting to see who comes in during summer......maybe not as many players as some may hope for.
#JFT97

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2016, 07:06:28 pm »
The first thing Klopp needs to do and I believe has done to some extent is to learn who in the squad can change and play in an effective team. There's no point shipping players out who could show a big improvement (like Lovren this season). Only when the real weaknesses are seen then it's time to go into the market and maximise the money available. He also needs to get a good balance of flair and ability to defend. He needs a team that back each other up and don't go missing under pressure.

It'll be interesting to see who comes in during summer......maybe not as many players as some may hope for.
Well he has already signed two players. I'm expecting/hoping for another three: a GK, a top class midfielder (well known or otherwise) and a wideforward who can keep width and also is good in the final third. That's another three players to make it five in total.

Five is quite a lot, but only half of the turnover we were having under Rodgers.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Klopp & Life Kinetic
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2016, 12:42:37 pm »
I remember reading about Life Kinetic when Klopp was at Dortmund and he might now be looking at implementing their methods and practices at Liverpool, starting with the academy.  I find things like this really interesting, to learn about the extra miles that managers like Klopp and Koeman will go to in their coaching. 

Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge likes wearing headphones. He’s often photographed wearing them, he sparked a Twitter row over whether they were wireless or not, and he even has a promotional deal with Beats by Dre.

According to Southampton manager, Ronald Koeman, spending hours wearing headphones and scrolling through social media is bad for footballers. Players’ communication skills suffer, Koeman believes, when they spend too much time in their own little worlds. It interferes with their ability to interpret situations and make decisions on the field.

Earlier in the season, Koeman announced that his Southampton squad were getting regular sessions in communication and social interaction after the club’s coaches had been trained by German company Life Kinetik. Now, Sturridge’s manager, Jürgen Klopp, has arranged for Life Kinetik to come to Liverpool, albeit, in the first instance, to work with the youth coaches.

When the Liverpool first team squad were in Basel preparing for the Europa League final against Sevilla, Life Kinetik were at the club’s Melwood training complex showing ten academy coaches how to improve the communication skills of their young players, who are perhaps most at risk of becoming glued to their smartphones.

“Jürgen got hold of me not long after he took charge at Anfield and said we need to do something with Liverpool,” says Life Kinetik founder and head trainer, Horst Lutz.

Klopp previously worked with Life Kinetik at Borussia Dortmund. He calls the training one of the most exciting developments he has discovered in football in recent years. Klopp employed Life Kinetik’s methods once a week with his Dortmund squad, and believes that changing small details around communication can have a big impact on a team’s performances.
Embed from Getty Images

The Liverpool Academy coaches learnt an exercise program designed to enhance the players’ motor skills. The general idea is to enable players to react more quickly to movement, making the brain sharper. Exercises test physical, cognitive and perceptual skills in a number of different ways.

It’s simple stuff. In one activity, pairs of participants throw a ball to each other. At the same time, they shout out to their partner which hand they want the ball to be caught in. Their partner must respond by stepping forward with their opposite leg to catch it.

“The idea is to make the most of our brains, making new connections between our neurons by doing things we haven’t done before,” Lutz explains. “For footballers, the main focus is reaction speed and (making) fewer errors.”

Life Kinetik have worked with many football clubs in Germany over the past few years. “The training combines coordinative exercises with training of visual perception,” says Bayern Munich and Germany goalkeeper, Manuel Neuer. “When the eyes do not work perfectly, especially in difficult situations, it is incredibly difficult to respond properly.”

“(The training aids) rapid detection and decision in narrow, cluttered game situations,” adds Bernhard Peters, SV Hamburg‘s sporting director.
Embed from Getty Images

According to Lutz, Klopp believes it’s vital for footballers to notice more of what is happening around them on the pitch – to have a bigger, more detailed picture in their heads.

“It is Klopp’s opinion that the player who has the ball has more possibilities because the others are moving in a way that they can receive the ball,” Lutz says. “When there are more possibilities, the player with the ball is able to do mostly the right thing in a shorter time.”

The reason too much personal technology is bad for us, Lutz explains, is that it can affect our working memories. “Because we can search for everything in seconds, nobody has to remember things,” he continues. “This affects our fluid intelligence.”

Fluid intelligence is the capacity to think logically and solve problems in novel situations, independent of acquired knowledge. It involves the ability to identify patterns and relationships posed by new challenges, and to extrapolate these findings using logic.

“So if people use this technology too much, they are not as good at solving problems,” Lutz says. It is easy to understand how that can impact on a footballer’s performance.

Most people can store between five and nine items in their short-term memory, with those at the higher end of the scale possessing a significant advantage. “When you can store nine you have 80% more possibilities than someone who has only five,” says Lutz. “You can realise more things that are happening around you and it’s easier to make a solution for the problems that might evolve out of these nine things that you have recognised.”
Embed from Getty Images

While the Life Kinetik training helps players create more brain connections, it is essential to everyone? In the case of Sturridge, a recent example might suggest it isn’t.

In the 35th minute in Basel, the striker received the ball just outside the left corner of Sevilla’s penalty area. He immediately noticed that the goalkeeper, David Soria, was covering the near post, but as a result there was a gap at the other side of the goal. Sevilla right-back, Mariano, was also covering the near post, the most likely danger area for any shot given that Sturridge favours his left foot.

Adil Rami stood a few metres away, towards the centre of the box. But with Liverpool runners on their way towards the penalty area, the centre-back stayed slightly ahead of his right-back, just in case Sturridge opted to cut the ball back. Rami’s positioning enabled the Liverpool striker to perfectly line up his shot with the far corner of the goal. The angle didn’t suit a conventional left-foot strike, but Sturridge didn’t want to use his weaker right foot.

By now the Liverpool runners, Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana and James Milner, were marked around the edge of the penalty area. Alberto Moreno, sprinting down the left flank, had too much ground to make up for Sturridge to use the overlap.

Assuming Sturridge didn’t want to play the ball back to Roberto Firmino behind him, he had only one option left. A spectacular curling shot into the far corner with the outside of his left boot, which gave Liverpool a 1-0 lead.
Embed from Getty Images

Despite being a fan of his headphones – and presumably his phone too, like most people his age – during those few seconds Sturridge was aware of his own position, the two defenders’ positions and the goalkeeper’s. He also had in mind his preferred striking option, and that three of his supporting teammates were all marked. He was aware of the one small part of the goal that remained unprotected, and exactly how to exploit that opportunity.

That’s nine pieces of information at once stored in Sturridge’s short-term memory, which would suggest his cognitive skills are working just fine. There will no doubt be room for improvement with some among the Liverpool squad, however, as Moreno arguably proved when he missed Mariano’s run which led to Sevilla’s equaliser.

Given his faith in the Life Kinetik programme at Dortmund, it may only be a matter of time before Klopp introduces the methods to the first team at Melwood.

http://thesetpieces.com/features/life-kinetik-can-bring-liverpool-next-season/

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
Re: Klopp & Life Kinetic
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2016, 12:59:45 pm »
Cool story bro

[Sent from my iPhone]
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »
Really interesting stuff and I hope Klopp implements it at Liverpool, including the first team squad.

Modern technology is a gift in many ways but also a hindrance in some.

First and foremost for me though, football, always has been, and always will be, a team game, regardless of the era you have, or will play it in.

I'm not a fan at all of the players keeping themselves to themselves with headphones/ mobiles etc.

Really big believer of the team creating camaraderie, friendship and understanding, and a lot of that is created off the pitch, and the dividends will be paid on the pitch.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2016, 03:36:15 pm »
from a personal point of view, I work in a boring job in a fairly dull office so I put one earphone in and listen to the radio to help the day pass. I make sure that the ear that is on the side closest to other people is free and I don't find that people find that the general feeling is that i'm cutting myself off as I can talk to everyone else and know what is going on in the office.

On the flip side, we had a temp in who used to wear Beats Headphones at his desk and basically just cut himself off from everyone and that really pissed everyone off as people would have to wave at him to get his intention.

On the basis of this straw poll, I find in favour of players communicating more and not cutting themselves off from 'the group'.
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
Jürgen Klopp and Liverpool.
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2016, 03:33:30 am »

Ohhh yes he's mad but in a good way, a madness that leads to (we hope) success :wave
Jürgen Klopp's mad, crazy faces

Anyways back to the thread at hand....  what will Jürgen Klopp bring to the table, the Liverpool FC table?

Klopp and off the ball movement, i.e. winning the possession back:

Counterpressing - Gegenpressing

Liverpool Jurgen Klopp Press - Machester City vs Liverpool 1-4:

<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/KPQyJTASkjs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/v/KPQyJTASkjs</a>

"The advantages are obvious, in front of the enormous expenditure of energy. Everything is organized to suffer fewer attacks possible, preventing the opposing team to cross the midfield with a simple possession which enables it to choose always the best play.

Moreover, the system is integrated by the movements of the attackers and the wings ready in case of recovery of the ball - to run in the spaces. The action moves from offensive to defensive and offensive almost istanteneamente again, or at least the idea is that, with a rapid counterattack against defenses unprepared. The goal is the ultimate goal of this defensive system."

When Klopp sign up to be our manager everybody was talking about how we would be pressing the opposition.

What is 'Gengenpressing'? Would our current team be able to press the way Klopp wants for 90 minutes? Will this approach suit the Premier League considering there is no winter break and two cup competitions? That said, I haven't seen anybody ask those questions about Guardiola.

Anyways, very few people were talking about how Liverpool will attack once we win possession of the ball. When you see us attacking in full flow, it's seen as Coutinho and Firmino linking up or Lallana having a great game. Ever since our game at home against Man City when we started an attackIng four of Origi, Milner, Firmino and Lallana - I have been wondering just how much does Klopp focus on the attacking side of the game in training?

Penetrating Pass Combinations and our Central Midfield

The first pass from five out of six of the passing combinations I looked at below, would be a: penetrating vertical, diagonal pass - that cut out two of the opposition's players - was played from central midfield inside our own half. That is what started the attack, broke the lines and got the team into the second stage of the attack - looking for an avalible player to make the final (killer)  pass. The other was a quick lay-off combination between two players.

They were all linking up with either the central forward either dropping deep or showing for the ball, so in both occassions he could quickly play the into the gap for the on rushing attacking midfielder or directly to the attacking midfielders themselves so they can quickly play the ball forwards at pace. The second to last one being the exception. I can see now why there are people concerned our current central midfield isn't good enough to put it bluntly. Rather than pass it side to side we need players capable of playing in to our attacking players, so they can turn and play quick interchanges of passes etc..

Does that mean we need a new CM and that one of Henderson or Can isn't up to being a first team regular?

Here's a great post on our CM and it's importance:

There clearly are patterns you see when we're attacking, it doesn't matter the formation if you look at the principles of the vertical or diagonal and square pass comination, the layoff combination and the third man run combination - you see us  creating space with vertical movements and then exploit that immediately. This is why I started looking at patterns of attacking play (that you frequently see) when Klopp was at Dortmund and Liverpool thus far.

The Most Used Passing Combinations seen at BVB Dortmund and Liverpool FC so far:
  • The vertical or diagonal and square pass comination
  • The layoff combination
  • The third man run combination
(I'm by no means trying to say that Klopp will look to implement exactly the same style of play at Liverpool as he did at Dortmund but the principles will stay the same - I'm positive of that, just tweak here and there.. if needed)   .. anyways here's a great video on the passing combinations played:

<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/eF-rwPe1kR0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/v/eF-rwPe1kR0</a>

The Vertical or Diagonal + Square Pass Combination

This kind of passing combination is used by two players, a quick interchange of passes with the intent being to get the ball to a team mate who is in a very good position to make that final pass quickly.

Blaszczykowski was more central and received the ball from Bender, the ball was then squared for Mkhitaryan.

Blasczykowski is wider and Lewandowski drops deep and he moves into the space vacated by Lewandowski.

<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/Jv4iuEu58Co" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/v/Jv4iuEu58Co</a>

The Lay-Off Combination

The ball is played straight to an attacking player dropping into space, in this case it is the center forward. With Mkhitaryan is close support, he is expecting the lay-off to come from Lewandowski and it does. Now that Mkhitaryan finds himself on the ball, he has two options - Reus who cut inside to give Bender a third passing option earlier.

Reus is now making a run into space on the left and Lewandowski is making a diagonal run into space on the right.

Passing Combinations With A Third Man Run

The aim here is to play the ball in behind the defense. For it to be successful, the third man should not be in a deep position. As soon as Bender receives the ball and turns, the forward drops off to show for the ball. Mkhitaryan is already on the move, depending on where he makes his run determines where Lewandowski puts the ball - into which space.

Reus is in a more central position and he cuts the ball out. Mkhitaryan see this and starts to make a run through the center of the pitch. Reus passes the ball straight to Lewandowski who had dropped deep to close down one of thier defensive players and is now ready receive the ball - before turning and playing a forward pass on for the on rushing #10.

<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/1_74qwbof80" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/v/1_74qwbof80</a>

Creating and Exploiting Space in the Attacking Third

Space is vacated and defenders draw out of position, it helps if the opposition are ball watching but it doesn't matter. It's too late anyways, the players knew that there would be said space just begging for a man to make a run into it and exploit the situation. Kinda like knowing you won the lottery before happens. The combination below is mainly used to create space in the second stage of attack, space created was from a defender who didn't immediately follow the center forward.

It is Lewandowski dropping deep that opens up space for Mkhitaryan to run into:

<a href="https://m.youtube.com/v/DwgpmPiCj2o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/v/DwgpmPiCj2o</a>

More to come ...  :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:35:51 am by Rapp Motorenwerke GmbH »

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
Re: Jürgen Klopp and Liverpool.
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2016, 03:39:21 am »
ZELJKO BUVAC - FIRST ASSISTANT COACH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is the morning after the titanic struggle with Arsenal and Zeljko Buvac, whom the Liverpool manager credits with being one of the tenets of his success, is among the first to arrive at the training ground.

“I think that there are titles which are not as positive as this one,” says Buvac with a smile. “If anyone says you are ‘the brain’ then you take that, but I am not someone who gets into the public and says, ‘I am this’.”

Clutching a coffee in a plastic cup there has already been an initial discussion with Klopp, but the analysis of the 3-3 draw comes later, together with Peter Krawietz (‘The Eyes’), and it is then that the deliberating begins for the visit of Manchester United. Buvac will speak his mind. He and ‘Kloppo,’ as he invariably calls him, were team-mates at German club Mainz where they struck an agreement that their careers would forever remain interwoven.

The pecking order says manager and assistant, yet Klopp regards Buvac as an equal. They truly are inseparable.

“As players there was a direct connection straight away,” he said. “Kloppo as a player was the same as he is as a manager. His character was the same, he wants to win, you cannot help but like him.

“Both of us were looking to become managers and we promised each other, ‘If I am the first manager, I will take you and if you are the first manager you will take me.’ He came first. It is a friendship.

“Before every training session and after every training session we talk together. Before every match and after every match we talk.

“In training I am observing and watching and if I have the feeling something needs to be changed I will speak to Kloppo. We discuss it, ‘Why should this be? Why that?’ But it is a decision we come to together. That is the way in training and that is the way in the match.

“If it is necessary, I get up from the bench and that is okay. I don’t need to ask. Together with Peter we have six eyes. You see more than if only one man is looking.”

That managerial break for Klopp came at Mainz in 2001 before moving onto Borussia Dortmund and it is difficult to imagine the dynamic being the other way round. Klopp is forever a coiled spring on the touchline where Buvac appears calmer, although rival Premier League benches may disagree. Buvac had visited his parents in his native Bosnia following the departure from Dortmund last summer when the call came outlining a new adventure. It says much that Klopp told Liverpool’s owners during negotiations he comes as part of a triumvirate.

“I was enjoying the sunshine, but I always knew that I could get a call from Kloppo if he had been contacted by an interesting club,” said Buvac, 54.

“Liverpool is more than an interesting club that is clear. I knew that after Dortmund this was a good step as the next club. I don’t think he needed a long time to think about Liverpool. You must say ‘yes’.

“Liverpool has big tradition and the feeling was that with hard work you can create maybe a new era, new successes. That was part of the attraction.”

How hard is becoming clear. Buvac studies a sheet which shows Liverpool sit top of a mini-league of the so-called Big Six (Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea, Tottenham are the others), one which jars with their ninth place overall. The inconsistency is obvious.

“It is just paper you know,” he said, brushing aside the significance of the mini-league. “The squad knows it is able to win against these clubs but it is important to have the same mentality to play against all the teams.

“The next step is to play as well as against Manchester City or Arsenal as against West Bromwich, for example, to play good consistently. And you need a little bit of luck and no injuries!

Exclusive Interview: Jurgen Klopp's assistant 'The Brain'

Other interesting quotes on 'The Brain' - Zeljko Buvac:

“Zeljko is football expertise incarnatte,” Klopp said of his assistant. “I learn every day from him.”

“In all the exercises he always has the whole picture,” Krawietz explained of Buvac’s training methods.

“If the training does not fit anything and we are making, for example, tactical mistakes, then it is usually [Buvac] that interrupts and explains how to run it properly.”

"As throughout his modest playing career, Buvac possesses a fine-tuned appreciation of space and the intricacies of attacking football. It is the Bosnian Serb who propelled Dortmund’s overwhelming gegenpressing tactic, ensuring Klopp’s lineup remained compact and in a position to suffocate the opposition off the ball."

Zeljko Buvac influenced signings at Dortmund: https://twitter.com/lfc_360/status/732175796647960576

PETER KRAWIETZ - SECOND ASSISTANT COACH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool assistant coach Peter Krawietz has described his relationship with Jurgen Klopp and fellow assistant Zeljko Buvac as being like a 'music band' in reference to their collaborative work.

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Krawietz recalls how the trio were perceived by the German media as having different qualities, but the 44-year-old acknowledges the greater need in England to work in unison.

Klopp once compared Arsene Wenger's Arsenal to being 'like an orchestra', going on to express his preference for what he called 'heavy metal' football, but his assistant's latest analogy would suggest a far more subtle approach to matchday preparations.     

'We are like a music band, with their own instrument,' said Krawietz. 'Jurgen is the band leader, and others are behind him playing the bass guitar or drum. I'm not sure which instrument is mine!'

'It is very collaborative how we work. We've been this way since we started together. Many years ago a journalist in Germany said I was 'the eye' and Zeljko [Buvac] was 'the brain' and people repeat it. We could only laugh at this, see it as an invention and say 'so what is Jurgen?'

'We are all part of the team here but it is different in Germany to England. Here, as a manager, there are so many more tasks around the club so me and Zeljko try to help as much as we can.'

Krawietz was never a player of the game at a high level, but his reputation as an analyst and scout made him one of Klopp's key backroom figures during his time first at Mainz and then Dortmund.

With a nickname to reflect his relentless search for information, Krawietz's meticulous approach to the finer details of the game made him always likely to succeed, but he stressed the influence of former Mainz manager Wolfgang Frank in heavily influencing the trio's tactics.

'Wolfgang Frank had an idea of football which was something like a revolution in Germany based on the Arrigo Sacchi style of pressing and defending,' added Krawietz.

'It was new in Germany to play in a back four and play this way. Mainz was the first to do it and the success was unbelievable. Frank was a very important person for all of us when he came to Mainz.'

The Reds face Manchester United at Anfield on Sunday in the Premier League knowing that victory will enhance their Champions League credentials whilst denting those of their fierce rivals.

United's thrilling 3-3 draw against Newcastle tallied with Liverpool's inconsistency this term suggests another tale of the unexpected but, with Krawietz in the band, the Kop can be assured no stone will be left unturned.

Klopp is the leader of the band

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 5, 2016, 02:27:31 am »
Feel extra appreciative today. Jurgen Klopp what a man. Taking us places and doing it in style. Keep it up gaffer

:scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 5, 2016, 03:19:02 am »
Hear, hear!

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 5, 2016, 11:36:30 am »
Hear, hear!

Very early this season, but I'm loving it so far :)

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:23 am »
Just like to say cheers to Jurgen Klopp for cheering me up on Saturday evening.

Made the long trip down to St Mary's and got piss wet through as usual.  Enjoyed the game and we should have won obviously.  Was a bit disappointed with the result until I herd Jurgen's Post match interview on 5Live.

RAWK doesn't need me to wax lyrical about Jurgen Klopp but I just have to type it out and make a drab Monday morning a bit brighter.

The man is one of the classiest managers I have ever heard give a post match interview and that isn't being biased.

Both Liverpool and Man Utd probably deserved more than a point on Saturday but just listen to the difference in post match interview. It's opposite ends of the Spectrum and I know which end I'm happy to be a part of.

I know there's a thread in general sport for Maureen but what a fucking classless moaning bastard he is compared to ever gracious Jurgen Klopp who focuses on the good things his players have done and will do in the future.  I don't know what Maureens demeanour is like in the dressing room after a defeat but if its anything like his post match interview, it can't be good for the players.

Klopp has done this a few times to me in his post match interviews and made what feels like a loss or disappointment into a good result.  His comments after the Burnley match even put a smile on my face during the drive home

We are so bloody lucky to have him. :)

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:36 am »
In terms of charisma, is it fair to suggest that Klopp may be the closest to Shankly we have had in terms of managerial appointments ?