Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12293117 times)

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #91120 on: December 6, 2016, 09:56:55 pm »
Michael Beale's gone with immediate effect.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/245935-reds-confirm-u23-manager-beale-to-leave-club

What's happened there?
Joining Sao Paulo as assistant to Ceni.

He's done a lot of good here and the u21/23s have played some really great stuff under him so a shame to see him leave.

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #91121 on: December 6, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
Ah, OK. I completely missed the news about him moving on.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91122 on: December 7, 2016, 12:10:12 am »
Ilori has been boss today. Looks a lot stronger going up against a bigger man.

Is it pretty much guaranteed that we'll be selling him in January or the summer?  Always thought he could be a good player for us. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91123 on: December 7, 2016, 12:11:58 am »
Alexander-Arnold has taken this game by the scruff of the neck and is unplayable right now. Two moments of nagic from him and a whisker away on both occasions.

It's kind of funny about goalscoring in this sport.  Woodburn scored a goal in the match against Leeds and got all of the headlines but Trent AA was by far the most impressive player that game and didn't see much talk about it anywhere. 

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91124 on: December 7, 2016, 01:04:34 am »
Is it pretty much guaranteed that we'll be selling him in January or the summer?  Always thought he could be a good player for us.

Nope, but only because there's no guarantee we'll get any good offers. We'd have sold him in the summer if we'd got any.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91125 on: December 7, 2016, 01:26:05 am »
It's kind of funny about goalscoring in this sport.  Woodburn scored a goal in the match against Leeds and got all of the headlines but Trent AA was by far the most impressive player that game and didn't see much talk about it anywhere. 

He was given Man of the Match in a televised game on Sky, amongst other praise. Woodburn's feat was easier to hang the "Liverpool's kids are decent" angle on for headlines, but there was plenty of praise for TAA too in nearly every article about the game.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91126 on: December 7, 2016, 06:57:38 am »

I mean if we get a good offer for him, i have no doubt we'd sell in a heartbeat. But no point just offloading him for the sake of it when he provides some cover. He's good at defending when we are pushed right out. He's a great athlete so you can't just run off him. Has improved his strength and has improved a lot in the air. Has no real future unless there's an severe injury crisis, but his attitude in theae u23 performances have been good.

If we got a few million for him, we'd sell i'm sure.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91127 on: December 7, 2016, 10:34:50 am »
We'll never be great at last ditch defending. We won't sign those kind of defenders. We defend by controlling the game.
Is a last ditch defender not just a defender who can defend? I dont think you have to only be one or the other?

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #91128 on: December 7, 2016, 10:45:59 am »
Is a last ditch defender not just a defender who can defend? I dont think you have to only be one or the other?
No it isn't. Diego Godin is great at defending his area, making blocks and winning headers but he'd look much worse than he does for Atletico if he was isolated in a Guardiola/current Klopp system.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91129 on: December 7, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »
He was given MotM, & plenty were raving about how great he was... he definitely didn't go unnoticed :)

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91130 on: December 7, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »
Trent is a literal machine.

Might as well star in Ghost in the Shell.

Hollywood say's he's gotta be White for that though  ;)
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91131 on: December 7, 2016, 02:44:34 pm »

Nah. It's a completely different skillset. That's why Skrtel was great for us in the years we had a poor side and couldn't control games.

But he wasn't any good at controlling space.

If you've got a player who can do both, you've got a world class player on your hands.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91132 on: December 7, 2016, 03:37:51 pm »
Really glad Ojo is back for our FA Cup run. How he does in training I imagine will determine if we go full on for a winger in January. He's come back like he's never been away. That amazing pace  and i forgot how amazing his ball control is. I don't think anyone in this squad can just skin a full back 6 yards from the byline and still keep it in. Doubt he'll get many more games for the u23s as he's already completed 90 minutes and is probably a better bench option than any of our other youngsters.

The kid when on form, is untouchable. Just wins so many free kicks.

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #91133 on: December 7, 2016, 04:00:19 pm »
Yeah, I was actually discussing this with a friend recently.

As excited about Woodburn and TAA as I am I think that Ojo has the highest ceiling of anyone coming through in the near future. His control and pace are absolutely preternatural. If his head catches up to his physical and technical gifts he will be world class.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #91134 on: December 7, 2016, 05:00:22 pm »
Are the Club not happy with Beale leaving?  The statement didn't seem toooooooooooo dunnom caring?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #91135 on: December 7, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »
Quite brave of Beale leaving to coach in Brazil. He must relish a challenge, wonder if he speaks Portuguese? I suppose the club are a bit unhappy with a key member of staff leaving mid season, particularly since the U23s are doing well.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91136 on: December 7, 2016, 05:20:14 pm »
He was given Man of the Match in a televised game on Sky, amongst other praise. Woodburn's feat was easier to hang the "Liverpool's kids are decent" angle on for headlines, but there was plenty of praise for TAA too in nearly every article about the game.

I know he was given MOM.  I was more referring to the papers.  Every headline about the game had Woodburn in the title. 

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91137 on: December 7, 2016, 07:31:20 pm »
I know he was given MOM.  I was more referring to the papers.  Every headline about the game had Woodburn in the title.

Not really surprising though is it? News papers are mostly about headlines rather than content. So 17 years old, youngest goalscorer ever for Liverpool. Rather than solid MOTM game from 18 year old fullback.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91138 on: December 7, 2016, 10:51:38 pm »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91139 on: December 8, 2016, 12:07:47 am »
I mean if we get a good offer for him, i have no doubt we'd sell in a heartbeat. But no point just offloading him for the sake of it when he provides some cover. He's good at defending when we are pushed right out. He's a great athlete so you can't just run off him. Has improved his strength and has improved a lot in the air. Has no real future unless there's an severe injury crisis, but his attitude in theae u23 performances have been good.

If we got a few million for him, we'd sell i'm sure.
I think he'll be off in the summer regardless, which is a shame since I'm sure he would provide better cover than Lucas in the centre of defence. Of course I'd say the same about Sakho but there you go.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91140 on: December 8, 2016, 06:49:45 am »
Not really surprising though is it? News papers are mostly about headlines rather than content. So 17 years old, youngest goalscorer ever for Liverpool. Rather than solid MOTM game from 18 year old fullback.

Why on earth would a decent (though by no means mind-blowing) performance by a full back in a drab League Cup quarter final get the headline over the youngest goalscorer in the history of a 124 year-old football club?

Oh of course, it's "the media"'s fault...  :o

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91141 on: December 8, 2016, 08:05:37 am »
seen the highlights of the U23s game v Leicester the other day on LFC TV.  I thought Leicester must have been lucky to score the winner in the closing stages from their own half.  In fact even the highlights made it look almost as one sided in Leicester's favour as it was in our favour v West Brom.   Wave after wave of Leics attack which our defence did not cope at all well with, but Leicester were amazing profligate in front of goal, rarely on target.  (Perhaps that was why Pulis, allegedly, suddenly dropped interest in Sakho,) 

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91142 on: December 8, 2016, 11:49:15 am »
I think he'll be off in the summer regardless, which is a shame since I'm sure he would provide better cover than Lucas in the centre of defence. Of course I'd say the same about Sakho but there you go.
I reckon Lucas would probably boss a lot of games at Under23 level.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91143 on: December 8, 2016, 08:19:52 pm »

Good goal, by Brannagan i don't think hes actually been any worse than Ejaria in both first team appearances and reserve appearances, in fact i've probably been impressed more by Brannagan. Think it just Klopps preference to go with Ejaria who has better physical attributes to go with his impressive technique, do feel though Brannagans more methodical style would offer a good alternative to the more direct midfield options we have right now.

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #91144 on: December 8, 2016, 08:30:05 pm »
do feel though Brannagans more methodical style would offer a good alternative to the more direct midfield options we have right now.
Well I think that's probably it, Klopp hasn't really shown any signs of wanting a midfielder like Brannagan who 'controls' the game in that way. Obviously we've looked to monopolise possession this season but in a really vertical, high-tempo way.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91145 on: December 8, 2016, 11:10:00 pm »
Good goal, by Brannagan i don't think hes actually been any worse than Ejaria in both first team appearances and reserve appearances, in fact i've probably been impressed more by Brannagan. Think it just Klopps preference to go with Ejaria who has better physical attributes to go with his impressive technique, do feel though Brannagans more methodical style would offer a good alternative to the more direct midfield options we have right now.

Ejaria looked much better than Brannagan in pre season IMO.  Think that's why he's probably pushed ahead of him in the pecking order.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91146 on: December 8, 2016, 11:10:33 pm »
Anyone see Michael Beale's final interview as u23 boss?

It's here for those with subscriptions:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/latest-videos#28130

Pretty weird how they cut it at the end.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91147 on: December 9, 2016, 12:01:24 am »

Is this before he left or had he announced he was leaving?

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
« Reply #91148 on: December 9, 2016, 11:47:24 am »

I think it probably got too emotional is all. He may have asked for it to be cut himself. No one likes to see a grown man cry.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #91149 on: December 10, 2016, 04:39:32 pm »
5-1 win for the u18s today. 2 More goals for young Glen McAuley. Anybody here have a chance to see him play and give some insight as to what style of forward he is? Absolutely banging them in, 13 goals this season for the u18s and he's underage for that group (I believe).

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91150 on: December 10, 2016, 05:10:08 pm »
Doesn't seem to be involved a whole lot in the build up unless it's on the counter at the moment. He's really good at gettingredients in scoring positions though. Could easily have scored a few more this season.

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
« Reply #91151 on: December 10, 2016, 08:41:31 pm »
5-1 win for the u18s today. 2 More goals for young Glen McAuley. Anybody here have a chance to see him play and give some insight as to what style of forward he is? Absolutely banging them in, 13 goals this season for the u18s and he's underage for that group (I believe).

Just my opinion of course but he seems to miss a fair few as well. He isn't the type to make a goal out of nothing either. He hasn't blown me away personally but he's still very young of course and its so hard to tell at this stage.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #91152 on: December 11, 2016, 07:26:44 am »
Interesting that Curtis Jones scored. He looked decent on his u18 debut from highlights.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91153 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:01 pm »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91154 on: December 12, 2016, 06:40:16 pm »
Ojo building back up fitness (does he not play with shin guards?)

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91155 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00:24 pm »
Ojo building back up fitness (does he not play with shin guards?)

He has the small ones that a fair number of players prefer. Just wears his socks low.

Ilori wearing the no.2?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91156 on: December 12, 2016, 07:02:37 pm »
Yep. Ilori playing right back with Gomez at CB. See where his futures lies then.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91157 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:23 pm »
1-0! Wilson! Good ball over the top from Ilori and Wilson beats the keeper to the ball to poke it past him.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91158 on: December 12, 2016, 07:06:16 pm »
1-1. Stewart loses the ball in a stupid area, and arsenal work it well before slotting home.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91159 on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »
Stewart is having a bit of a rough patch - gave away the ball a lot against leeds as well.