Author Topic: Paisley-This is Your Life  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
Paisley-This is Your Life
« on: December 8, 2016, 08:04:42 pm »
You can tuck this away in a history board at some point but please give it some air, truly wonderful programme, dated as it is.

Worth noting that the eloquent tribute from his great pal was at a point when they were the only two people to have won european cups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2M5VYPQsO4

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
Re: Paisley-This is Your Life
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2016, 08:50:19 pm »
Yeah it's a belter of a programme.

Watched it the other night in tears when Billy Liddel appeared, followed by Shanks. Nice tribute from our old skipper Matt Busby too - that makes three European cup winners ;)

Well worth a watch :)

Oh the other thing that cracks me up every time I hear Bob talking is the reminder of how bang on John Keith's Paisley impression is!

« Last Edit: December 8, 2016, 08:54:55 pm by Redsnappa »

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2016, 10:20:18 pm »
Just watched so many legends in one room brilliant stuff.
Kenny Godglish

Offline Cohiba

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2016, 10:25:53 pm »
Really enjoyed that, thanks for posting  ;D
Every great achievement
Was believed to be impossible at one time

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2016, 10:41:37 pm »
Honestly, everyone should watch this, so many legends in one room! its just brilliant

How come this has only just been uploaded? How was it lost?

Offline Pensby

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Pub
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2016, 10:47:29 pm »
Our old boss took the time to write to me and wish me good luck before doing the Birkenhead School exam when I was a kid.

I even passed but went to Rock Ferry instead  ::)

Met him a few years later after a match and told him, he wanted to kick my arse!
...if I have to explain, then you'll never understand...

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2016, 12:17:22 pm »
Thank you Black Bull Nova. Cant wait to get home now to watch the rest of that, I'm sure with a tear in my eye.
Loved the cheer he got when he walked into the studio, then a brief wave of the hand as if to say - get away with you.
Wonderful, wonderful man. Thank you Bob, thank you.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2016, 06:12:02 pm »
Enjoyed that very much. Had a tear in my eye when Shanks came out. Don't think I'd ever seen both Paisley and Shanks together on video before, outside of a football match at least.

And Billy Liddel too. Never seen video of him before I don't think. He looked quite young I thought.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 03:04:50 am »
Great watch that - cheers for posting.  :thumbup

Great to see both Shanks and Liddell.
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 09:48:58 am »
Found this on reddit few days back. Absolutely fabulous watch!

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 11:00:12 am »
Wow! That was fantastic.

Don't remember watching it at the time though I would be amazed if I didnt. Having said that iirc you didn't know who it would be back in those days on this is your life until the show started. Repeats weren't the norm back then either so it's possible I've never seen it before.

people should really take the time to watch this.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 09:52:17 pm »
Watched the first 15 mins, fantastic stuff so far! Will try to catch the rest tomorrow.

Poor Bob looks really uncomfortable at times to be centre of attention! I take it he wasn't one for hogging the limelight? (I'm not old enough to remember him)

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 03:57:24 am »
Wow! That was fantastic.

Don't remember watching it at the time though I would be amazed if I didnt. Having said that iirc you didn't know who it would be back in those days on this is your life until the show started. Repeats weren't the norm back then either so it's possible I've never seen it before.

people should really take the time to watch this.

Apparently it was broadcast at Xmas (28th December, 77) though , so it would have been easy to miss it !!
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 08:15:42 am »
I remember the one for Kenny in the early 80s as well. For some reason, he was great friends with Petula Clark  ;D

Offline Yasar

• Phantom Desk Shitter
  • Kopite
  • Doug Stanhope appreciation society
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 06:23:20 pm »
Such a humble man. Amazing to see how much society has changed in almost every way since then
They proved that if you quit smoking, it will prolong your life. What they haven't proved is that a prolonged life is a good thing. I haven't seen the stats on that yet.
-Bill Hicks

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »
 Can't wait to kick back and watch this!
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 11:22:55 pm »
Cheered me up watching that. I have a feeling I watched that when it was aired, tho memory can play tricks on you, especially as I was 6 years old. Programme was on at 7:30 I think and was regularly watched. It was the Kevin Keegan interview from Germany tho, which made me wonder... hazy 'memories' of thinking.. 'wow! Keegan live from Germany!!' Who knows. Great find tho. I hope there is a plaque on that loo.

Had a quick look, and the team were travelling back from a 2-0 loss to QPR, hence the quip at the beginning from Paisley...'I thought it was QPR's centre forward!' when he was given the book by surprise, which could have referenced Stan Bowles (who scored that day). We were 6th after that night (15 pld), 6 points behind eventual winners Forest in 1st (2 pts for a win). Not bad for a team winning the European Super Cup and European Cup that season.

Article here about the This Is Your Life find: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/dec/11/bob-paisley-liverpool-this-is-your-life-eamonn-andrews

and this from the uber-brilliant lfchistory site:

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT97
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 10:17:10 pm »
Was this repeated in later years? I have quite a vivid memory of watching a This is Your Life with Bob Paisley in - but I was much too young in 1977 to remember it from then. Either this was repeated or I was remembering another This is Your Life with an LFC element to it?