Author Topic: Leaving before the final whistle.  (Read 17089 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Leaving before the final whistle.
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 12:23:41 pm »
If the fans were being paid as much as the players and the Manager, I'm sure they would be bouncing all game  ;D

Yeah very fine point there SC04OCT.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2016, 12:26:34 pm »
Anyone trying to justify leaving early to beat the traffic should give their ticket to someone who cares.

Obviously a disability issue or a flight to catch is a special case, but if it's just because you want to get home half an hour earlier then pass the ticket onto someone who reckons that's worth seeing the stoppage time action and clapping the players off.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 12:27:01 pm »
The one thing that annoys me is when we travel away and the players just fly straight down the tunnel without coming over to thank us for the support.

It would hypocritical of me to then fuck off on 85 mins and not applaud the players 'because the game is won'

Last night was a joke to be honest - it happens all the time though. We played Ludogoretes a couple of years back and they scored in the 90th minute to equalise , que 30,000 people standing up and making their way out seemingly thing the game was over. Within 2 minutes we had a penalty and we won the game. Que thousands of people running back in to join the celebrations. It's just shite support - nothing else.

I get people have places to go. I get it can bit a bitch to get home if you set off 10 mins later and you might be tired for work the next day, but we can't all preach about the players not giving a shit about the fans when those same fans can't be arsed to stay and clap them off when they reach a semifinal.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:01 pm »
It's a rare treat that I would get to visit a game in any season, so I always stay to the end and do my best to make an atmosphere during it.

For regulars, I can totally understand the temptation to  leave early and beat the traffic/get home early because you have work in the morning/for the kids. It's all about personal priorities, life generally becomes more important than football as you get older. When I was in my teens I would be bashing the early leavers, but if we have a comfortable lead these days, I get it.

I've left tonnes of other sporting events early because generally I can't justify the trouble of getting home. And I've never regretted it either.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2016, 12:29:49 pm »
Soooooo much holier than thou bollocks in here.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2016, 12:31:17 pm »
Leaving a few minutes early doesn't make that much of a difference, if you stay till the end it takes a bit longer from getting from your seat to the exit but that's where it ends for. Besides with so many leaving early it must be getting busier for the early darters, what's next, 10 minutes? I always say to my lad when we got the game, I point them out and say don't be like them wankers, he's almost six and now knows better.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2016, 12:36:39 pm »
Besides with so many leaving early it must be getting busier for the early darters, what's next, 10 minutes?
Another great point.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2016, 12:37:08 pm »
Basically what it comes down to is some rather spoiled people needing to man up and deal with a bit less sleep for the sake of seeing 5-10 minutes extra footy. There's this thing called coffee. Drink it in.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:40:42 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2016, 12:38:54 pm »
Soooooo much holier than thou bollocks in here.

It's not holier than thou bollocks, its fans wanting their team to get better support than they currently do.

How dare we.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2016, 12:43:48 pm »
As much as I don't like the visual of it I don't know all those individuals and just decide to mind my own..

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 12:49:25 pm »

But...Kloppie...you get paid for fucking being there mate. I fork out 800 quid a year and have done for god knows how many years. So I'll come and go whenever the fucking hell I like. So with respect and all that like Kloppie lad, come back when you've paid your hard earned fucking dues like I have.

;D

Not that I ever leave early like. But just saying. Fuck off with the sanctimonious fucking shite.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 12:49:57 pm »
If the fans were being paid as much as the players and the Manager, I'm sure they would be bouncing all game  ;D

Ahhh right so you'd sing and support the team until the end of you were paid to do so. Got it
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2016, 12:53:19 pm »
It's not holier than thou bollocks, its fans wanting their team to get better support than they currently do.

How dare we.

If I can sacrifice 5-8mins of a game which is already won to ensure that I can get one of the first buses back in to town rather than have to queue or walk it, meaning I get an earlier train out of Lime street rather than miss it and have to wait 20mins for the next one, as well as avoiding an argument with my significant other because she's cold/up earlier than me the next day...then I will.

And I wont feel at all like less of a supporter for doing so.

That small amount of time missed can mean the difference between it taking around an hour to get back from the ground to as much as two/two and a half if I get really unlucky.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2016, 12:55:35 pm »
If I can sacrifice 5-8mins of a game which is already won to ensure that I can get one of the first buses back in to town rather than have to queue or walk it, meaning I get an earlier train out of Lime street rather than miss it and have to wait 20mins for the next one, as well as avoiding an argument with my significant other because she's cold/up earlier than me the next day...then I will.

That small amount of time missed can mean the difference between it taking around an hour to get back from the ground to as much as two/two and a half if I get really unlucky.

;D Oh no, how will you ever cope with losing an hour here and there. The sacrifice!

I personally want to thank you so, so much for giving the club 84mins of your precious time now and again. It's a beautiful thing you are doing.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 12:58:32 pm »
People have bought their ticket so they are entitled to do what they want. On the other hand don't complain when the manager who is trying to build us into a force to be feared in the world game again decides "Fcuk this i might as well take that offer from Munich or Barcelona their stadium isnt half empty with 10 minutes to go"  :wave It's a fcuking embarrassment and we all know it.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 12:58:48 pm »

Better yet, don't go to the game at all and it will take you no time at all to get home.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2016, 12:59:38 pm »
;D Oh no, how will you ever cope with losing an hour here and there. The sacrifice!

I personally want to thank you so, so much for giving the club 84mins of your precious time now and again. It's a beautiful thing you are doing.

Sacrifice 5 mins of players going through the motions in order to avoid all of the above, its an easy choice.

Not at all arsed.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2016, 01:00:55 pm »
Better yet, don't go to the game at all and it will take you no time at all to get home.

But then how could I ever get on my high horse about how to attend a football match?

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 01:00:56 pm »
As a young wool with a poorly paid job I rarely manage to get to Anfield. Do manage the odd cup game though. When I do go I sing my voice raw and make damn well sure I stay until the end. And you better believe that getting out of St Domingo is a nightmare after an evening game (especially after a poor result!)

I understand the odd few needing to leave early for something, but by the thousands? You're having a laugh. As others have said, last night was compounded by the poor atmosphere during the game. It was shocking, utterly shocking, the worst I've heard in a long time. Say what you want about Leeds fans and some of their "song choices" but they embarrassed us.

I loved the comments LovelyCH made - "I personally don't give a shit if I have to have an hours less sleep before work the next day. I don't care if I have to sit through more traffic than normal; I am not alone. That is part of what being a football fan is all about."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:09:32 pm by DivisiveNewSigning »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 01:02:41 pm »
Sacrifice 5 mins of players going through the motions in order to avoid all of the above, its an easy choice.

Not at all arsed.

You've never seen a team score two goals in five minutes? Or three goals in six.....?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2016, 01:03:40 pm »
But then how could I ever get on my high horse about how to attend a football match?

Just lie about it

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »
I do it at the cinema as well... Still not got a clue how Rocky got on in any of his big fights  ::)

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2016, 01:13:23 pm »
I remember a few fans leaving early in Basel and this one guy starting giving him verbal abuse. The guy leaving his son with him, probably 7 or 8 years old.

Yes in an ideal world everyone would stay until the final whistle but the reality is some don't. I don't think they should be targeted for verbal abuse either. Imagine what the poor kid thought this drunk idiot spewing abuse at his dad.

Offline Barrowred

• Kopite
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2016, 01:13:44 pm »
People have bought their ticket so they are entitled to do what they want. On the other hand don't complain when the manager who is trying to build us into a force to be feared in the world game again decides "Fcuk this i might as well take that offer from Munich or Barcelona their stadium isnt half empty with 10 minutes to go"  :wave It's a fcuking embarrassment and we all know it.
Nails it for me, can't have it both ways.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2016, 01:15:14 pm »
In which case I'd ask then why bother going then? Do you leave a movie early at the Cinema because your journey home will be quicker if you leave 20 minutes before the end?

Agree with the topic starter. I don't get the logic in it whatsoever. If you go and watch the match, be prepared to have a possibly long journey home. The end.
When the game is won (as it was last night) leaving two minutes before the whistle goes is not the same as leaving a film 20 minutes before the end. What are you even talking about?

I can't believe the amount of people saying why even bother going at all? Haha, it is ridiculous. It is hardly like i've stood up after the Origi goal and walked out.

Like i've said this happens on the odd occasion I have to take the car, if the game is tight, i'll stay. If it isn't then I have no problem walking out before the game is over so I can get myself home in decent time rather than sitting in traffic.

If it bothers you all so much, why not say something to us in the ground as we walk past you? Maybe one day you'll ask me. I'll give you a clue, I tend to take the car to midweek night games as if I don't i'd struggle to make kick off due to work. I run the risk of collecting a ticket by parking in the estate over the road from The Kop as I usually just manage to arrive by the ground 10 mins before kick off.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2016, 01:15:53 pm »
I remember a few fans leaving early in Basel and this one guy starting giving him verbal abuse. The guy leaving his son with him, probably 7 or 8 years old.

Yes in an ideal world everyone would stay until the final whistle but the reality is some don't. I don't think they should be targeted for verbal abuse either. Imagine what the poor kid thought this drunk idiot spewing abuse at his dad.

State of the dad wanting to get his kids home to bed at a reasonable time rather than stay to the end and have to run the risk of being heavily delayed.

They should have stayed at home.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2016, 01:17:56 pm »
Leaving before the end looks crap, but the game was won. It is annoying, but I'd worry more that only a small number of us seemed arsed about making some noise and supporting the team for the 90 minutes before that. Given how Klopp has repeatedly said he believes that the atmosphere and the noise we make genuinely makes a difference, it is fucking maddening to have so many people just not remotely bothered about making some noise / singing some songs.

Yup. I think that's a bigger deal.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »

But...Kloppie...you get paid for fucking being there mate. I fork out 800 quid a year and have done for god knows how many years. So I'll come and go whenever the fucking hell I like. So with respect and all that like Kloppie lad, come back when you've paid your hard earned fucking dues like I have.

;D

Not that I ever leave early like. But just saying. Fuck off with the sanctimonious fucking shite.

This.

I've been paying to go to Anfield far longer than Jurgen Klopp and I'll continue to pay for a lot longer than after he leaves as well.

For the record, I don't usually leave until full time but if the match is over or a bit shit I usually start creeping over to empty seats that are closer to the exits with about 5 minutes to go.  Not that I think anything lesser of the people who go through the exits, not my problem if they're not getting their full money's worth.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »

Come on you knew that was coming  ;D

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2016, 01:21:29 pm »
I left Landsdonwe road in 1986 5 minutes early; then Ronnie Whelan scored against Germany.
Personally I don't think I could leave but I am sure there are plenty of legitimate reasons for doing so.

I am sure there were a few praying against extra time. Not because they didn't want to see another 30 minutes oif their favouritew team, but because they live in Kent and would have gotten back that good bit later.

People leaving who live 5 minutes away; well, can't agree with that.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2016, 01:24:27 pm »
People leaving who live 5 minutes away; well, can't agree with that.
This I have to agree with. If you lived within walking distance then I don't think there is an excuse at all. But when you live in the leafy suburbs sometimes it is nice to get home to your bed and wife who will be waiting there ;-)

Not my fault you all hate your birds, I quite like mine

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2016, 01:28:01 pm »
The support inside the stadium throughout the game is more of an issue. I have been going to games for 30+ years and if it's an evening kick off, and I have work/family etc the next day the leaving just 2 minutes early can make a massive difference to what time I get home. I want to support the team, I love supporting the team, us winning means a huge amount to me. I have followed us across Europe, been to plenty of away games etc etc but it doesn`t mean that I cannot leave just a few mins early if the game is clearly won to save myself a great deal of time to get home.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2016, 01:29:35 pm »
This I have to agree with. If you lived within walking distance then I don't think there is an excuse at all. But when you live in the leafy suburbs sometimes it is nice to get home to your bed and wife who will be waiting there ;-)

Not my fault you all hate your birds, I quite like mine

...but its football, it actually isnt that important. So why bother going in the first place if you're not in a position to stay until the end?

Its all excuses isnt it? The manager doesnt pay for a ticket, I'd stay if I got paid as much as Lucas etc etc

A few of our kids contributed getting to a cup semi last night. One of them broke the record for scoring. Can you imagine if everyone had the same opinion that 'the games sorted, I wanna get to bed ten minutes earlier' and they ended up getting clapped off by 50 fans and then thousands of Leeds fans taking the piss?

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »
Does she only wait for a prescribed time? 20 minutes is sound, anything over 45 and you're in the spare room? ;)
Beats doing into a sock like you lad. You worry about clapping the millionaires off the pitch for me

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2016, 01:40:07 pm »
I remember a Boxing Day match against Leicester, we were playing shit and getting beat 2-0 at half time.  I pretended to be sick so I could go home and play with my new Spectrum that I'd got for Christmas.

Found out on the bus that Phil Neale had scored a penalty and it was 2-1 and part of me wanted to go back, it was too late by then though.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2016, 01:40:44 pm »
Superfans out in force I see.

At the vast majority of games, very few people leave early. Last night was an exception (note I was not at the game). However, when people do leave early it is their choice. I left when the pen went in on Saturday (so missed injury time). That's my choice. Other times I stay to the end. Again, my choice. I've stayed to the end to congratulate the team after big wins and I've stayed to the end during tight games.

Tell me to give up my ticket or be a better fan all you like. I sing, I bounce and I support. And sometimes I leave early (normally as the board goes up for injury time).

Maybe I have kids and want to get home to see them (clearly I should give up my ticket to someone more deserving as Liverpool is more important than anything? Right?). Maybe I have a life outside of football (clearly I'm a shit fan then). Maybe I have work to get to (unimportant, Liverpool comes first).

You know what? 20 odd years ago when I got to go to Anfield for the first time as a 17 year old I made a promise to myself. That one day, I would earn enough money to go to as many games as I could. It wouldn't matter where I lived, I'd go. It took me a fair while but for the last 6 years I've loved going to games. It costs me a fortune and several hours of driving each time and I'm fine with that, because I love it.

And now that I've reached this point were I have the means to go to 15+ games a season, no-one gets to tell me whether I can or can't leave a game when the injury time board goes up. Particular not some faceless keyboard warrior. And as for it making me less of a true fan, or Liverpool not meaning as much to me as it 'should', don't tell me what this club means to me, or presume to think it makes you a better what? Person? Liverpool fan? Give me a break.

As for the Klopp statement, it was made with regards to droves of people leaving really early (82 minutes, similar to what happened last night). He was right on this (it was 2-1, not game over), but it, again, was an exception. Droves of people do not leave on 80 minutes week in week out.

I look forward to being told I'm a crap fan now.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2016, 01:41:52 pm »
Lighten up handsome. It was a joke. Remember those?
As was mine. Sorry did my sarcasm get to you because you have to wank into a sock? Did you bang one out last night to Woodburn's goal in the bogs after everyone had left? Seen loads of fellas walking round with no socks on thesedays, always wondered why. Now I know.

Apologies

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2016, 01:44:28 pm »
Superfans out in force I see.

At the vast majority of games, very few people leave early. Last night was an exception (note I was not at the game). However, when people do leave early it is their choice. I left when the pen went in on Saturday (so missed injury time). That's my choice. Other times I stay to the end. Again, my choice. I've stayed to the end to congratulate the team after big wins and I've stayed to the end during tight games.

Tell me to give up my ticket or be a better fan all you like. I sing, I bounce and I support. And sometimes I leave early (normally as the board goes up for injury time).

Maybe I have kids and want to get home to see them (clearly I should give up my ticket to someone more deserving as Liverpool is more important than anything? Right?). Maybe I have a life outside of football (clearly I'm a shit fan then). Maybe I have work to get to (unimportant, Liverpool comes first).

You know what? 20 odd years ago when I got to go to Anfield for the first time as a 17 year old I made a promise to myself. That one day, I would earn enough money to go to as many games as I could. It wouldn't matter where I lived, I'd go. It took me a fair while but for the last 6 years I've loved going to games. It costs me a fortune and several hours of driving each time and I'm fine with that, because I love it.

And now that I've reached this point were I have the means to go to 15+ games a season, no-one gets to tell me whether I can or can't leave a game when the injury time board goes up. Particular not some faceless keyboard warrior. And as for it making me less of a true fan, or Liverpool not meaning as much to me as it 'should', don't tell me what this club means to me, or presume to think it makes you a better what? Person? Liverpool fan? Give me a break.

As for the Klopp statement, it was made with regards to droves of people leaving really early (82 minutes, similar to what happened last night). He was right on this (it was 2-1, not game over), but it, again, was an exception. Droves of people do not leave on 80 minutes week in week out.

I look forward to being told I'm a crap fan now.
Well said. Close the thread.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2016, 01:44:56 pm »
Peer pressure. Sigh.

No-one has the right to dictate to others. No-one. Anyone who thinks they do, are misinformed about their authority. They have none. Unless they have the common consent their authority grants them. It is this kind of busy bodying that bothers me more. The I know better attitude. It stinks.

For the record, I am not a regular. I attend when I can. When I do, I'll stay until the whistle and beyond.

For the record also, we've all wanked into a sock at some point in our lives. Probably. But a condom is better as its lubed. Just wash your hands afterwards.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2016, 01:46:10 pm »
All the utter shite in here reminds me of the '60's in the middle of the Kop when each game we'd serenade the huge swathes of the early darters from the Kemlyn and Main stand with a chorus or three of "Sit Down Yer Bums".

We deffo occupied the high moral ground back then....

....or so we thought...

...Meanwhile unbeknown to us diehard heroic stay till the bitter end never quit stalwarts in the middle there'd be droves of our fellow more mature and sensible kopites pouring out of the rear and both sides of the Kop to get to the ale house or home for a hot cup of rosy lea.

C'est la vie. Sure all the empty seats looks absolute shit but twas always thus and always will be. And some games on freezing cold nights with the game seemingly in the bag are worse than others.