Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 825939 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #520 on: October 20, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
1979 Everton Derby was a history making game as well.

Why?

Was it the first time any player/s had been sent off in this fixture ?

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:18 am »
1990 Norwich City (Division One) Carrow Road 1-1
Gary Gillespie 2'
Att 21,275

After starting the season with eight successive League wins, this was the match that broke that sequence even though we got off to a great start with a goal from Gary Gillespie in just the second minute.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:48 am »
2001 Leicester City (Premier League) Filbert Street 4-1
Robbie Fowler 4' 43' 90' Sami Hyypia 10'
Att 21,886

Robbie's final goals before his move to Leeds United.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #523 on: October 20, 2011, 11:23:23 am »
1990 Norwich City (Division One) Carrow Road 1-1
Gary Gillespie 2'
Att 21,275

After starting the season with eight successive League wins, this was the match that broke that sequence even though we got off to a great start with a goal from Gary Gillespie in just the second minute.
same day united played arsenal at castle greyskull

there was a mass brawl during the match which arsenal won. few weeks later arsenal got deducted two points and united one
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #524 on: October 20, 2011, 11:32:14 am »

there was a mass brawl during the match which arsenal won. few weeks later arsenal got deducted two points and united one

I was just about to post the same! Not sure how I associated the two events. 21 man brawl in that game I think, only the Arsenal keeper didn't get involved. Seaman just didn't want to rush out. We've all been there.

Was it Anders Limpar who sparked it off?

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: October 20, 2011, 11:33:25 am »

Highlights of the Old Trafford brawl if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjsASf5z9ac

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #526 on: October 20, 2011, 11:36:12 am »
Was it the first time any player/s had been sent off in this fixture ?
And the winner is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  kriss!! :champ

The snippet of history I checked was that it was the 1st time in 83 years a player had been sent off.

•20 Oct 1979
Terry McDermott and Gary Stanley share the dubious honour of becoming the first players to be sent-off in a Merseyside Derby for 83 years.
from the liverpoolfc.tv/history.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: October 20, 2011, 11:43:06 am »
And the winner is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  kriss!! :champ

The snippet of history I checked was that it was the 1st time in 83 years a player had been sent off.

•20 Oct 1979
Terry McDermott and Gary Stanley share the dubious honour of becoming the first players to be sent-off in a Merseyside Derby for 83 years.
from the liverpoolfc.tv/history.

Thanks. But as I am on the www.lfchistory.net editorial team I would have been disappointed not to get this one right!

Chris
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:45:50 am by kriss »

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: October 20, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »
Thanks. But as I am on the www.lfchistory.net editorial team I would have been disappointed not to get this one right!

Chris

Yours is my 1st point of reference rest assured. :)

Had to add the bookmark after the inaccuracies of earlier
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: October 20, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »
Yours is my 1st point of reference rest assured. :)

Had to add the bookmark after the inaccuracies of earlier

No problem at all. I am travelling to Liverpool by train tomorrow to meet www.lfchistory.net Editor Arnie and his Database King Gudmundur. They have kindly invited me to the book-launch of their recently-published "Liverpool : Complete Record " book which is taking place in Liverpool tomorrow evening. You need to get that book too then you won't need any LFC bookmarks at all  ;)!

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »
I was just about to post the same! Not sure how I associated the two events. 21 man brawl in that game I think, only the Arsenal keeper didn't get involved. Seaman just didn't want to rush out. We've all been there.

Was it Anders Limpar who sparked it off?
haha

i know limpar scored the only goal that game
i think winterburn and brian mcclair might have started it with dennis irwin of all people also involved.

was a bit of agro from a few years back, i think mcclair once missed a penno at old trafford and winterburn walked up to him laughing or some such

came to mind cos it was the first season i followed Liverpool. we had won 8 out of 8 and the arsenal united game was on telly in ireland. we used to get one game every saturday and updates would flash up. i think the norwich game was 1-1 after 8 minutes and i was just waiting for us to score again and for it to flash up. was all over the news that night that we lost points for the first time all season.

even randomly remember that night a scouse bird was on blind date

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #531 on: October 20, 2011, 12:55:55 pm »

even randomly remember that night a scouse bird was on blind date

Yeah, Cilla Black, she was the host mate.

Outstanding effort though! You seem to have the same memory techniques as me. Quite often I can remember a result and then think back to what I was doing that day when I found out the score. Can remember stuff going back 20 odd years. Very strange!

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: October 20, 2011, 12:58:38 pm »
Yeah, Cilla Black, she was the host mate.

Outstanding effort though! You seem to have the same memory techniques as me. Quite often I can remember a result and then think back to what I was doing that day when I found out the score. Can remember stuff going back 20 odd years. Very strange!
haha fuck off mate it was a contestant :lmao

its odd for me like that

i can remember the house being wall papered when we lost at luton in 1991 and me brother lamenting their "poxy plastic pitch" yet i wouldnt be able to tell you what i had for me dinner this day last week

Online jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:53 pm »

its odd for me like that

i can remember the house being wall papered when we lost at luton in 1991 and me brother lamenting their "poxy plastic pitch" yet i wouldnt be able to tell you what i had for me dinner this day last week

strange but me too! I am finding it increasingly hard to remember peoples names who i worked with back in those days but still remember aspects of very random and obscure games, the same with music, always remember the year from when i first heard a song!

As for the 2-1 Everton win at Goodison, i remember it as i watched it in the desert in Jordan on an exercise on BFBS. all the mancs were calling us stuffy bastards 'cos we scored in the last minute the cheeky fuckers, probably just upset 'cos one of the inbreds gave the penalty away!!!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »
fowler's hatrick goal in the 4-1 win at leicester. off his weaker foot ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2107704228203411590#

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: October 20, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »
Remember the Leeds game that we lost 0-1.

Don Revie was presented with the Manager of the Month award and they had to hold up the presentation because of the shouts of Shankly from the Cowshed.

If I remember correctly Shanks had to come on the PA and ask for quiet so they could proceed with the award.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: October 20, 2011, 03:50:34 pm »
Remember the Leeds game that we lost 0-1.

Don Revie was presented with the Manager of the Month award and they had to hold up the presentation because of the shouts of Shankly from the Cowshed.

If I remember correctly Shanks had to come on the PA and ask for quiet so they could proceed with the award.

I was there too and that does sound familiar, Shankly asking our supporters to be quiet so that Don Revie could receive some award.

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: October 20, 2011, 06:40:15 pm »
I was there too and that does sound familiar, Shankly asking our supporters to be quiet so that Don Revie could receive some award.

Shanks did have to ask the fans to stop chanting his name for a couple of minutes but I can't quite remember if it was over the tannoy or he came out on the pitch. I think it was the tannoy but memory is a bit hazy.

It would have been manager of the month award. Leeds had a fantastic start to that season and ended up winning the league.

It was 60p to get in that day, 20p more than the Kop at that time. The begining of footballs downward spiral.

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: October 20, 2011, 09:09:19 pm »
remember going to the Valencia game 0-0 at Anfield. Ranieri was Valencia manager, and we actually played in our all white away strip at Anfield. don't know if we have ever done that before, and definitely not since. we went through on away goals after an incident packed 2-2 draw in valencia.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: October 20, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »
the 2-1 victory at Goodison was memorable for the blue shite coming over all bitter over perceived refereeing inconsistencies. Kuyt won it with a last minute penalty, after earlier attracting the ire of the lower Bullens for attempting to block a ball in mid flight.
watched it in a bar  in manchester and attracting loads of attention when we scored in injury time.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #540 on: October 20, 2011, 09:26:13 pm »
remember going to the Valencia game 0-0 at Anfield. Ranieri was Valencia manager, and we actually played in our all white away strip at Anfield. don't know if we have ever done that before, and definitely not since. we went through on away goals after an incident packed 2-2 draw in valencia.

2 all game was where Mcmanaman & Ince got sent off at Mestella. went to Benidorm straight from Leicester, had a ball- proper away game!
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: October 20, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »
think we did it three times. Ajax possibly. Answers please

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: October 20, 2011, 10:59:14 pm »

We changed because Valencia insisted on wearing their orange away kit and UEFA sided with them.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:29 pm »
I've always maintained that Sharp's goal for the Bitters in 1984 was the best away goal I've seen at Anfield. You just have to accept it when you lose to a strike of that quality.

3 derbies mentioned in the summary above, but October 20th funnily enough takes me back to 1996 and a derby that wasn't played. It was a Sunday afternoon because we'd played in Europe on the Thursday, and it was absolutely bucketing down. Approaching the ground about 2.15 there were fans banging on the car window shouting go back. Turns out the pitch was waterlogged, and the game had already been called off (it got played a month later and ended 1 each). The irony is that Tranmere were at home that day playing QPR, and their game was completed without any problem!! The one consolation was that I got home in time to see Newcastle stick 5 past the Mancs.

Advancing to October 21st takes me back to 1989. My cousin was getting married that day in Romford. We left home in Rainhill about 6am to give ourselves plenty of time to get there, check in the hotel, have some lunch, and get changed before going to the church. It was a very wet day, and also blowing a gale, so the Vicar agreed at the end of the service to have the photographs taken inside the church. I hate being on photos, and it was about 4.50 by now, so I asked my Dad for the car keys so I could listen to the results on the radio. My heart sank when I heard.......Southampton 4 Liverpool 1. A few beers at the reception were needed to raise my spirits!!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #544 on: October 20, 2011, 11:21:08 pm »
I'd forgotten all about that postponed match. In my first year flat at uni I was lucky enough to be in with two other Liverpool fans. We were all excited, about to hit the pub when some killjoy broke the news! Was it really the same day as that toon 5-0 win? Now that was fun to watch.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: October 20, 2011, 11:49:11 pm »
I'd forgotten all about that postponed match. In my first year flat at uni I was lucky enough to be in with two other Liverpool fans. We were all excited, about to hit the pub when some killjoy broke the news! Was it really the same day as that toon 5-0 win? Now that was fun to watch.

It was the very day. Phillip Albert chipped Schmeichel to make it 5 and a Geordie fan ran to the Newcastle dugout and was almost kissing Keegans feet!! Even better, the following week Southampton beat them 6-3. They still won the League though after we gave them 3 points on a plate at Anfield late on in the season.

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: October 21, 2011, 08:04:57 am »
Today In History
October 21st

1961 Derby County (Division Two) Baseball Ground 0-2
Att 27,355

1970 Dinamo Bucharest (European Fairs Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Anfield 3-0
Alec Lindsay 60' Chris Lawler 76' Emlyn Hughes 82'
Att 36,525

1972 Stoke City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Emlyn Hughes 66' Ian Callaghan 90'
Att 45,604

1978 Chelsea (Division One) Anfield 2-0
David Johnson 6' Kenny Dalglish 71'
Att 45,775

1981 AZ Alkmaar (European Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Olympic Stadium 2-2
David Johnson 26' Sammy Lee 49'
Att 12,000

1986 Blackburn Rovers (Friendly) Ewood Park 3-2
Steve McMahon Ian Rush Jimmy Walsh
Att 10,380

1989 Southampton (Division One) The Dell 1-4
Peter Beardsley 57' (Pen)
Att 20,501

1997 Strasbourg (UEFA Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Stade de la Meinau 0-3
Att 18,813

2000 Leicester City (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Emile Heskey 69'
Att 44,395

2010 SSC Napoli (Europa League Group Stage Match 3) Stadio San Paolo 0-0
Att 55,489

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Paul Ince (44)
Kevin Sheedy (52)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: October 21, 2011, 08:50:59 am »
1972 Stoke City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Emlyn Hughes 66' Ian Callaghan 90'
Att 45,604

This was the last time the great Gordon Banks played a competitive match. Slightly injured in this match at Anfield, he drove to Stoke's stadium the next day to receive treatment for his injury but was involved in a car accident on his way home that cost him one of his eyes.

Banks was a huge favourite with the Liverpool crowd. We played Stoke at home in the opening match of the next (1973-74) season. At about ten minutes to three Bill Shankly came out of the tunnel with Gordon Banks and walked around the pitch with him. The noise was absolutely deafening as they reached the Kop together. It was one of the great Anfield moments that did not involve a football.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: October 21, 2011, 08:53:36 am »
1986 Blackburn Rovers (Friendly) Ewood Park 3-2
Steve McMahon Ian Rush Jimmy Walsh
Att 10,380

Er ... who Jimmy Walsh ??? ?! Try Paul!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #549 on: October 21, 2011, 08:57:38 am »
Slim pickings today! I remember reading that after that southampton game John Barnes went into their dressing room and shook all their hands. What a bloke.

The Leicester game featured a rare Gerrard cameo at right back where he was his usual brilliant self.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: October 21, 2011, 08:59:40 am »
1997 Strasbourg (UEFA Cup 2nd round 1st leg) Stade de la Meinau 0-3
Att 18,813

An absolutely shameful performance by the team collectively but also by certain individuals on the night. Definitely one of the worst-ever European performances if not the worst. On the face of it, a fairly strong team was picked yet it was unable to produce anything like good form on the night and capitulated to what was basically inferior opposition who raised their own game and humbled us without having to try too hard.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: October 21, 2011, 09:12:21 am »
1997 Strasbourg (UEFA Cup 2nd round 1st leg) Stade de la Meinau 0-3
Att 18,813

An absolutely shameful performance by the team collectively but also by certain individuals on the night. Definitely one of the worst-ever European performances if not the worst. On the face of it, a fairly strong team was picked yet it was unable to produce anything like good form on the night and capitulated to what was basically inferior opposition who raised their own game and humbled us without having to try too hard.
was neil ruddocks last game

david zitelli upfront for them made a holy show of him. think he scored two and oliver dacourt who went on to play for leeds and everton i think scored aswell. my abiding image of that game is ruddock lying flat on his belly after one goal looking like a beached whale.

think that season he played on the first day and was reasonably in good shape, he got injured then came back vs west brom then everton looking atleast a stone heavier. then came this game. knowing him he wasnt trying a leg in training and probably spent all day boozing.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: October 21, 2011, 09:31:46 am »
was neil ruddocks last game

david zitelli upfront for them made a holy show of him. think he scored two and oliver dacourt who went on to play for leeds and everton i think scored aswell. my abiding image of that game is ruddock lying flat on his belly after one goal looking like a beached whale.

think that season he played on the first day and was reasonably in good shape, he got injured then came back vs west brom then everton looking atleast a stone heavier. then came this game. knowing him he wasnt trying a leg in training and probably spent all day boozing.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I once saw Ruddock play for the Reserves when they were using the Deva Stadium at Chester for home games. He was sent off in the first half and spent most of the second half sitting on a wall fiddling with his mobile phone.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: October 21, 2011, 09:34:17 am »
That doesn't surprise me at all. I once saw Ruddock play for the Reserves when they were using the Deva Stadium at Chester for home games. He was sent off in the first half and spent most of the second half sitting on a wall fiddling with his mobile phone.
he made zitelli look like the old ronaldo in that game

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35:22 am »
aside from that the napoli game last year was awful. think i fell asleep. remember konchesky cleared one off the line

the leicester game in 2000 i think heskey shinned one in. fowler almost scored earlier only for an unreal goal line clearance from gary rowett

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: October 21, 2011, 09:51:05 am »
1981 AZ Alkmaar (European Cup 2nd round 1st leg) Olympic Stadium 2-2
David Johnson 26' Sammy Lee 49'
Att 12,000

Two-nil up and coasting to victory. Then they thought "Let's make this more interesting and do what we did at Brighton last Saturday" (lose a two-goal lead :no)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:56:22 am by kriss »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: October 21, 2011, 09:58:38 pm »
That Leicester game 1-0 Heskey was actually quite a good game; they were near the top of the league, and gave us a good game. Heskey scored from a Babbel long ball.
With regards to Ruddock in the Strasbourg game I remember him getting turned and then trying to chase, and it was embarrassing.

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: October 22, 2011, 08:45:56 am »
Today In History
October 22ed

1960 Huddersfield Town (Division Two) Leeds Road 4-2
Kevin Lewis 20' Roger Hunt 25' Alan A'Court 67' Dave Hickson 89'
Att 15,719

1975 Real Socidad (UEFA Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Atocha 3-1
Steve Heighway 20' Ian Callaghan 61' Phil Thompson 82'
Att 16,256

1977 Everton (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 51,668

1980 Aberdeen (European Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Pittodrie 1-0
Terry McDermott 5'
Att 24,000

1983 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 1-0
Steve Nicol 83'
Att 27,140

1985 Southampton (Screen Sport Super Cup Group Stage Match 2)The Dell 1-1
Paul Walsh 81'
Att 10,503

1988 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 38,742

1992 Spartak Moscow (European Cup-Winners Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Gerhard Hanappi Stadion 2-4
Mark Wright 65' Steve McManaman 79' ??red card for what player??
Att 55,000

1994 Wimbledon (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
Steve McMamaman 21' Robbie Fowler 35' John Barnes 64'
Att 31,139

1995 Southampton (Premier League) The Dell 3-1
Steve McManaman 21' 54' Jamie Redknapp 73'
Att 15,245

2002 Spartak Moscow (Champions League Group Stage Match 4) Luzhniki Stadion 3-1
Michael Owen 29' 70' 90'
Att 15,000

2005 Fulham (Premier League) Craven Cottage 0-2**
Att 22,480

2006 Manchester United (Premier League) Old Trafford 0-2
Att 75,828

2008 Atletico Madrid (Champions League Group Stage Match 3)Estadio Vincent Calderon 1-1
Keane 14'
Att 44,500

2011 Norwich City (Premier League) Anfield ?-?
Goals ?
Att ??,???

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Mark Seagraves (45)
Alexander Doni (32)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

David Burrows (1988)

Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #558 on: October 22, 2011, 09:59:34 am »
Mike marsh got the red card.

I remember going to that 0-0 thriller with coventry. Can anyone remember if Bruce had a bad illness around then? Can remember their fans singing "where's your keeper gone".

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #559 on: October 22, 2011, 10:10:36 am »
I was at the 2002 Spartak game.  Memories?  It was effin' cold.  Most definitely the coldest I have ever been at a game.  There were no toilets at all in our "end" though there was a mobile urinal in the back of an army truck parked outside.  We were staying with a mate who works as a journalist in Moscow and I remember him taunting us by text at half time telling us how warm it was in the lounge (true) and that his seats in the press area came with a UEFA seat warmer (a lie).

Other memories, accompanying another mate who had to meet someone to get his ticket.  Arranged to meet by the doors of the Moskva hotel, where I think the official trip was all staying only to find that the Moskva is the biggest hotel in Europe, a collossal communist folly that takes about half an hour to walk around, particularly when you don't know which door you are meant to be meeting at.  There is a pic of the away end at the game on here somewhere.  I'll try and dig it out if I can.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'