Author Topic: Gerrard back as Academy Coach  (Read 22726 times)

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
Re: Gerrard back as Academy Coach
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2017, 06:05:29 am »
Brilliant news.Will be such an inspiration

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2017, 08:13:18 am »
Fantastic. Fucking fantastic. Some much needed good news on this day. Imagine being one of those kids in the academy and your coach is Steven Gerrard.

Mr Gerrard   ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2017, 08:58:41 am »
Am very angered by this personally

He's given up the chance to work with some of the true greats of the game, your Savs, your Nevs, your Tylers.  Why pass on the chance to spout obvious shite, shit on our players and manager on Sly or BT.  BIG mistake Stevie, one which I'm certain he will live to regret
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2017, 08:59:38 am »

He looks happy. Bet he was chuffed like a five year old when they gave him a Liverpool training kit.

Great news. :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2017, 09:19:33 am »
Great to seem him back, and in such an important role. Will be a massive influence on the youngsters, and a great learning opportunity for him. One of the positive developments by FSG is the return of former players back to the club under various roles. Provides some continuity and connects generations of players.

Carragher has always been talked about as a potential manager, but I think Gerrard's character and temperament are more suited to the role of management.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2017, 09:43:32 am »
Great to seem him back, and in such an important role. Will be a massive influence on the youngsters, and a great learning opportunity for him. One of the positive developments by FSG is the return of former players back to the club under various roles. Provides some continuity and connects generations of players.

Carragher has always been talked about as a potential manager, but I think Gerrard's character and temperament are more suited to the role of management.

I wasn't convinced that he'd be natural managerial material and was totally against the idea of him getting parachuted in to Klopp's first team set-up. This is perfect though. He'll be able to do a fantastic job inspiring young players and can learn what it takes to be a great coach out of the direct limelight.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:08 am »
Am very angered by this personally

He's given up the chance to work with some of the true greats of the game, your Savs, your Nevs, your Tylers.  Why pass on the chance to spout obvious shite, shit on our players and manager on Sly or BT.  BIG mistake Stevie, one which I'm certain he will live to regret
Relax mate, he works for BT.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2017, 09:54:16 am »
Great to see Stevie back ;D

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2017, 10:14:26 am »
Great spot for him and great for the kids there
Don't like how the 'first steps to being Liverpool manager' articles are already being written - guess it's inevitable. No one should have a divine right to that job and I'm in the 'not convinced he's got the right personality for the role' camp.
This is great though - I mean can you imagine being a 16 year old talented kid and having him walk in to coach you??!!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2017, 10:28:15 am »
Don't like how the 'first steps to being Liverpool manager' articles are already being written - guess it's inevitable. No one should have a divine right to that job and I'm in the 'not convinced he's got the right personality for the role' camp.
This is great though - I mean can you imagine being a 16 year old talented kid and having him walk in to coach you??!!

Glad someone as respected as you said it first. We've forgotten how kids used to shrink when he was on the pitch. Conversely when you are that talented it must have been hard for him when those around him weren't as good ( esp when hed had peers at his level). Hopefully he can nurture the good in the young uns.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2017, 11:42:39 am »
Steven fucking Grenard!!
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2017, 11:44:40 am »

Glad someone as respected as you said it first. We've forgotten how kids used to shrink when he was on the pitch. Conversely when you are that talented it must have been hard for him when those around him weren't as good ( esp when hed had peers at his level). Hopefully he can nurture the good in the young uns.

Yep, there are reasons why top draw players don't often make it as top coaches/managers. Perhaps it's because they find it difficult to work with players who aren't up to their own high standards, can't do the things they themselves took for granted. However, all the stories I've read about him taking newcomers under his wing and helping them settle at Liverpool bodes well.

Also what I like about this appointment is that it's an obvious apprenticeship, he hasn't been given a specific role either in coaching terms or with a particular group in the setup. A chance to find out what kind of coach he is, what he is good at and what he isn't. All good.

I'm not sure I'd want Xabi back as well, though. If history is anything to go by, Xabi would be put at the centre of things and Stevie moved to the side of the pitch to sulk ;) Seriously though, could you imagine having two young, eager coaches who know the club and have experience working under the likes of Houllier, Rafa, Kenny, Capello, Pellegrini, Mourinho (!), Pep, Ancellotti, Aragones and Del Bosque. That's some CV.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2017, 12:00:17 pm »

Boss tha..

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2017, 12:21:07 pm »
He's the boxing coach right?  ;D

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2017, 02:36:30 am »
I find it a bit of a weird argument when people say he hasn't got the right personality for it considering how many different personality types there are in management. There's no one right personality type. Klopp is completely different to Benitez, but both are good managers. Don't think you can judge if he'll be a good manager until you actually see him in the role.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2017, 05:05:01 am »
I'd be fine if he turned out to be a spectacular youth coach and wanted to do that for the rest of his working career. Not a stepping stone as he does badges but an end point where he gets a couple of generations of kids and turns them into players hoping to be one half as good as he was. Whatever best suits him as he develops as a coach.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2017, 05:26:37 am »
Imagine being a young Dele Alli and knowing that if you move to the Liverpool Academy, you will get coached by Stevie everyday..

This could give us pulling power in the short term and 10 or 15 years later when Jurgen retires, Stevie steps in..  :wave
I really find the manager talk annoying... let him just be a coach, and let's see what happens. He may not make it as a top level manager, and we shouldn't force it. It's not like Xabi Alonso and Mascherano won't be out there...

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2017, 11:13:21 am »

Boss tha..

Funny enough thats the bit I focused on too.

Brilliant stuff - welcome home Stevie, welcome home  :)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2017, 02:12:27 pm »
I find it a bit of a weird argument when people say he hasn't got the right personality for it considering how many different personality types there are in management. There's no one right personality type. Klopp is completely different to Benitez, but both are good managers. Don't think you can judge if he'll be a good manager until you actually see him in the role.
There are personality types that aren't suited to management though. That's not the same thing as saying that there's a 'right' personality type. It's good for the game that we have all these different characters but all the successful managers, as different as they may be, will have very definitive similarities.

That's not to say Gerrard can't develop into a good coach.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »
It's simply great news.  The prodigal son returns.

Offline xstoofer

• Main Stander
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2017, 03:27:17 pm »
Joined the Academy when he was Nine, can't think of a better role model for the young lads. This club has been his life. I don't see him automatically wanting to be the first team manager when HE thinks he's ready.
He knows the game and the club better than anyone. 
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2017, 03:30:01 pm »
There is an interview with Gerrard on LFC TV at 5.30pm today.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mkd

• Kemlynite
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2017, 04:48:28 pm »
As others have said, it'll be great for the kids to have Steven Gerrard there on the coaching staff. Imagine you're a young player and Steven is telling you what you need to do, no mater how good the coach when you've got someone who's won pretty much everything telling you it, well you're just going to really believe it aren't you?! Fantastic news for the whole club, made up.

What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2017, 05:04:14 pm »
As others have said, it'll be great for the kids to have Steven Gerrard there on the coaching staff. Imagine you're a young player and Steven is telling you what you need to do, no mater how good the coach when you've got someone who's won pretty much everything telling you it, well you're just going to really believe it aren't you?! Fantastic news for the whole club, made up.

Has he retained his registration as a player? He would probably have been more mobile and effective than our midfield yesterday. Welcome back!

Online RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:51 pm »
Wonder how much he's on.
Kenny Godglish

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:25 pm »
Wonder how much he's on.

Salary

Coach salaries vary to an incredible degree depending on the level they are working at. A coach working as part of a small back-room staff at a lower league club may be expected to receive around £50-£65 per week on a part-time basis. Coaches of significant reputation working for English Premier League clubs can receive anything up to the current upper average limit, which is around £2500 per week. Note that the coach’s salary is paid weekly in most cases. This is because football operates during a standard season (August to May in most European countries), and contracts are distinctly short-term; they are renewed on a 12-month basis.

Coaches who work with junior or amateur club sides can expect much lower salaries. Some candidates will coach teams as part of a wider responsibility, for example, a fitness or personal trainer who may work part-time in building and developing a new team for local competition. Others work for free in order to build their professional coaching experience before seeking a paying role.

https://myjobsearch.com/careers/football-coach.html

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »
There are personality types that aren't suited to management though. That's not the same thing as saying that there's a 'right' personality type. It's good for the game that we have all these different characters but all the successful managers, as different as they may be, will have very definitive similarities.

That's not to say Gerrard can't develop into a good coach.
I guess the general argument is that he's too emotional to be a top manager? That's the impression I've gotten anyways. But you can't look at a coach like Jurgen Klopp and say emotion doesn't work :P or Conte for that matter.

He could be rubbish, but I don't see the point in writing someone off before they even get the chance to prove themselves. By all accounts he's only impressed at the Academy in the work he's done there so far. Michael Beale said on Twitter about the announcement "👏👏 👏 I love this decision. What an inspiration Steven will be for the kids. He helped out in the academy before & is an excellent coach #lfc"

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2017, 06:41:25 pm »
Welcome home
#JFT97

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2017, 10:49:33 pm »
The very fact he's back in there as an Acamdey Coach despite having millions and easy lucrative options for punditry is an amazing example in itself for our youngsters at a time when you make money in the game faster than ever. He loves football and he loves Liverpool, I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2017, 11:00:34 pm »
I'd be fine if he turned out to be a spectacular youth coach and wanted to do that for the rest of his working career. Not a stepping stone as he does badges but an end point where he gets a couple of generations of kids and turns them into players hoping to be one half as good as he was. Whatever best suits him as he develops as a coach.

I've wondered this too - perhaps he will take a role like Steve Heighway's?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2017, 12:12:32 pm »
Yes.
We have a good man in post, and a possible understudy in Lijnders already. Let Stevie get on with his Academy role. There is enough experience around the club to see how he can be best used for us in the long-term.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »
 http://bbc.in/2jJv2f7

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says he will do "everything I can" to help Steven Gerrard develop into "the best manager he can be".

The former Reds captain, 36, is to return to his former club as a youth coach in February in what will be his first job since retiring as a player.

Klopp said he "had a good long chat" with the ex-England skipper, describing his appointment as "wonderful news".

"He said he wants to be a manager in the future. That's cool," Klopp added.

"It was important to know what Steven wants. Being a manager is a job you have to learn and he is ready to make steps.

"Combining his playing experience with all the things he has to learn, he has a bright future. Everyone in this room knows better than I do he is a wonderful guy and it's wonderful news for football."

Gerrard made his Liverpool debut in 1998 and left Anfield at the end of the 2014-15 season to join MLS side LA Galaxy having won the Champions League, Uefa Cup, FA Cup and League Cup on three occasions.

He retired as a player in November after a 19-year career.

Gerrard had been linked with the manager's job at League One side MK Dons after announcing he would leave LA Galaxy, but said the opportunity came "too soon" for him.

He is also working towards his Uefa A coaching licence, which is required to manage in the Premier League.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2017, 04:49:38 pm »
Brilliant news this
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 4, 2017, 01:53:03 pm »
Steven Gerrard did the half-time team talk as LFC U18s secure impressive win over Manchester City http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-news-transfer-rumours-live-12680770

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #154 on: March 4, 2017, 02:05:04 pm »
Fantastic for the team and Stevie, welcome back now let's start climbing that table.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #155 on: April 6, 2017, 02:38:59 pm »
Just spent a few hours in his company at work. He was here for a Q&A. Had a selfie too which was a nice bonus.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 6, 2017, 09:36:48 pm »
Could have done with him on the bench last night for a 20 minute cameo when Coutinho went off.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2017, 11:33:12 pm »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/gerrard-set-to-take-charge-of-liverpool-u18s-npcrszlpc

Steven Gerrard is to take an important step forward in his coaching career next season by taking charge of the Liverpool under-18 side.

Gerrard has had a floating role at the club’s academy since stepping into coaching in February, but will lead the age group from the start of the new campaign.

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp and academy director Alex Inglethorpe both believe the move will speed up Gerrard’s development, bringing responsibility and also the pressure of overseeing the fortunes of a dedicated team in the under-18 Premier League.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2017, 09:30:27 am »
That's a lot of responsiblity, hope he does well. There's a few kids that are very talented, hope they can emulate even a little bit of Stevie's career.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2017, 10:17:52 am »
This is all being handled, by both Gerrard and the club, perfectly.

Comes in as a coach first of all so he can get his feet under the table and the likes of Klopp and Inglethrope can see just where Gerrard is with his coaching level, then he's clearly impressed so being given the additional responsibility.

The kids will love it next year no doubt.