Author Topic: Deadwood  (Read 31007 times)

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
Re: Deadwood
« Reply #200 on: August 4, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #201 on: August 4, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »
"You've been on this for 9 months now and I've been right behind you every step of the way. I would be lying if I said I had no new-found doubts about Brendan after the past several months, but there's also no need for me to add my 2 pence to the cacophony on that score.

Looking at that team that drunkenly stumbled into sixth place and trying to evaluate much of anything is a fool's errand. It was a patchwork of pieces stitched together, taken out, and stitched into a different pattern again and again - all the while missing a third of the picture. We had no functioning strikers to call on. None. That's not a football team - that's, at best, 10/11ths of a football team. In short, a miasma."

:wave

(You're too kind by more than half, though  ;) )

Love it. Amazing stuff.

Cheers Mongo.

:)

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 4, 2016, 05:11:37 pm »
HBO is struggling to keep anything on the air these days, we might just get lucky with a Deadwood return or movie.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #203 on: August 4, 2016, 05:31:07 pm »
HBO is struggling to keep anything on the air these days, we might just get lucky with a Deadwood return or movie.

HBO is primarily a comedy network at the moment.  the quality drama has dried up a lot. still, if it never returns, could there ever be a better named show for the last bit of quality than 'the leftovers'? :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 4, 2016, 05:36:34 pm »
HBO is primarily a comedy network at the moment.  the quality drama has dried up a lot. still, if it never returns, could there ever be a better named show for the last bit of quality than 'the leftovers'? :)

Ha! Maybe they'll get another season now that there's nothing left on there. A critically acclaimed show with low viewership is better than a bad show with low viewership (like Vinyl) right?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #205 on: August 4, 2016, 08:37:06 pm »
Leftovers is getting a third and final series.

West World is the next new one to watch.

I can't wait for the Andy character, "sorry, but this computer simulation isn't anything like the real Wild West..."
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2016, 11:14:05 am »
I stupidly decided to start this again last night...8 episodes in a row on a school night...I'm fucking shattered but still don't regret it.

What a show! Genuinely some of the best TV ever made but it's borderline criminal it was wrapped up the way it was!

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2016, 05:57:19 pm »
I stupidly decided to start this again last night...8 episodes in a row on a school night...I'm fucking shattered but still don't regret it.

What a show! Genuinely some of the best TV ever made but it's borderline criminal it was wrapped up the way it was!
[emoji20]

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2016, 06:05:52 pm »

Love the the ending...took a rewatch like, but, it's a good ending. It was how Milch planned on ending it anyway... "Wants me to tell him something pretty." A beautiful, poetic ending....it was Al just doing what he does and how he'll keep doing that from now on.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2016, 06:08:04 pm »
Any new word on the film? :wave

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2016, 06:08:10 pm »

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2016, 06:09:06 pm »
Nothing la.

I'm just watching a nine hour long film abar pooing.....

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:45 pm »
Take off that hat.......yeah, get a haircut. It looks like your mother fucked a monkey!

The insults are fucking brilliant lol ;D ;D ;D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2016, 10:48:53 am »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2017, 03:51:38 pm »
Can't believe I didn't watch this before - it's a very well written programme and I'm astounded I've overlooked it for so long. Would recommend it to anyone and it is amazing that HBO didn't squeeze it for all it's worth...

Great anti-hero in Mike McShane too.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2017, 04:48:56 pm »
If it came out just a few years later even, with the whole social media explosion, would have been a huge hit.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
Can't believe I didn't watch this before - it's a very well written programme and I'm astounded I've overlooked it for so long. Would recommend it to anyone and it is amazing that HBO didn't squeeze it for all it's worth...

You've taken the words from my mouth! Just finishing series 2 and like you, I can't believe that I missed it first time round. It's exceptional TV drama. Some great characters, but Al Swearegin is cocksucker in chief!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2017, 08:41:41 pm »

Feel exactly the same, just finished series 1 and absolutely love it. For some reason  I've always had something else to watch. Have been telling anyone who will listen at work about it.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2017, 08:47:18 pm »
You've taken the words from my mouth! Just finishing series 2 and like you, I can't believe that I missed it first time round. It's exceptional TV drama. Some great characters, but Al Swearegin is cocksucker in chief!

Great characters, swearing, funny. Just a brilliant show.
I love Calamity Jane, she's fantastic.
Jewel has some good lines.
Am also a little bit in love with Trixie.
I started watching Black Sails just before it which I liked but Deadwood beats it hands down. Twenty four shows to go for me and can't wait.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:48 pm »
It has all the literary merits of a Shakespeare play - and I can't think of a filler episode yet. But you're right - it is a product of the boxset revolution and that fizzled out with the advent of Facebook and Youtube - almost before its time.

The characters drive the plot and Charlie Brooker summed it up great on his Screenwipe episode. As much as I detest McShane for his anti-scouse sentiments in he 80s and Jeffrey Jones (who did this after his paedophilia case), they are two of the greatest characters in the whole programme.

Timothy Olyphant is quite good - but is possibly the weak link of the programme, but by god, every other character is fantastically written, superbly directed and very well acted.

The concept of the town being built with the timeline is genuinely involving and the stage is perfectly set for the time - even the casual racism is handled with a degree of believability (long before Quentin Tarrantino). Speaking of whom, the dialogue is as good, if not better than Django and H8ful put together.

Anyone looking to get their teeth into something new but old - give this a go, as it doesn't infantilise you like many Youtube-era programme do.

Amazing. Go buy it on eBay.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2017, 05:50:24 pm »
Wait of all the characters in Deadwood it's Merrick who you have up there as the greatest? That's a bold statement!

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »
Wait of all the characters in Deadwood it's Merrick who you have up there as the greatest? That's a bold statement!

Maybe it's his dialogue, but I found him brilliant in the first series - thought he was one of the more memorable characters in the programme. But yes, it is bold to call him the greatest - Swearengen is, of course the best character - everyone loves a good anti-hero.

E.B is also very memorable - but I have to say, Brian Cox is a bit hit-and-miss as Langrishe - bit too full on don't you think?

Anyhow, I'm on the last episode and have to say:

Spoiler
Can kind of see why ratings dropped off - the pacing feels off compared to the other series' and Wyatt Earp is criminally underused.

Edit: Just finished - what, the, fuck?

[close]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:31:46 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2017, 07:48:31 pm »
Maybe it's his dialogue, but I found him brilliant in the first series - thought he was one of the more memorable characters in the programme. But yes, it is bold to call him the greatest - Swearengen is, of course the best character - everyone loves a good anti-hero.

E.B is also very memorable - but I have to say, Brian Cox is a bit hit-and-miss as Langrishe - bit too full on don't you think?

Anyhow, I'm on the last episode and have to say:

Spoiler
Can kind of see why ratings dropped off - the pacing feels off compared to the other series' and Wyatt Earp is criminally underused.

Edit: Just finished - what, the, fuck?

[close]

It got cancelled, they didn't expect it to happen so it just ends abruptly.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2017, 10:15:29 pm »
It got cancelled, they didn't expect it to happen so it just ends abruptly.

But they usually get informed that the show hasn't been picked back up before the last episode is shot (so they can tie it up) - I read somewhere that the actors knew because the production company have to renew their contracts (so the writer knew); even David Lynch knew that Twin Peaks was cancelled before the last episode was shot.

Very, very strange last episode indeed. There were so many storylines thrown in the bin. 
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2017, 11:43:45 pm »
But they usually get informed that the show hasn't been picked back up before the last episode is shot (so they can tie it up) - I read somewhere that the actors knew because the production company have to renew their contracts (so the writer knew); even David Lynch knew that Twin Peaks was cancelled before the last episode was shot.

Very, very strange last episode indeed. There were so many storylines thrown in the bin.

I googled it and it's a bit of a mystery. He want to do John from Cincinnati and claims he knew it was ending. But it definitely doesn't end at all in any real manner. People seem to think he was just covering for HBO or trying to swallow his pride or something.

But yes incredibly unsatisfying ending to an otherwise all time great show.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: March 5, 2017, 12:07:04 pm »
Love Al and Mr. Wu's interaction. "San Francisco cocksucker," just brilliant.
Also Calamity Jane is just wonderful, she's one of my favourite character's of any show. I nearly hurt myself laughing when she got in the bath and "burnt her fucking snatch".
No idea why I didn't watch this earlier, am interested in how it will end after reading the comments on it ending oddly.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2017, 04:46:32 am »
http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-shows-ranked-critics-2017-2

Some real surprises there.

Larry Sanders above The Sopranos AND The Wire? Six Feet Under all the way down in the 30s?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2017, 06:41:31 am »
http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-shows-ranked-critics-2017-2

Some real surprises there.

Larry Sanders above The Sopranos AND The Wire? Six Feet Under all the way down in the 30s?

Bans of Brothers at 10 seems crazy, especially being below GOT and The Pacific. I guess it's kinda hard to compare comedies with dramas with miniseries.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: March 10, 2017, 07:19:16 am »
Girls above Six Feet Under? List invalid.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:29 pm »
That list is ridiculous. I assume it's not really ranking series, but more ranking reviews of the first or first few episodes. There is no way Girls would rank that highly if reviewed now. And I didn't watch it, but I heard Night of had a great first episode and then went downhill?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »
That list is ridiculous. I assume it's not really ranking series, but more ranking reviews of the first or first few episodes. There is no way Girls would rank that highly if reviewed now. And I didn't watch it, but I heard Night of had a great first episode and then went downhill?

The Night Of was a decent enough series. But better than a comparable miniseries like Show Me A Hero? nah.
Better than Treme or Thrones? Fuck off. Super shit list that. 
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2017, 05:25:20 pm »
It's an aggregated list of all scores given to each show. It's more worrying that there is a consensus of people rating Pacific above Band of Brothers than the list having Pacific above Band of Brothers.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2017, 08:54:32 am »
some odd choices in that list, but its always great to see some Larry Sanders love..
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2017, 07:24:41 am »
Just finished this show. Overall I loved it, though thought the second series was not up to the standard of the other two. Was not sure what was going on some of the time.
Having read about the ending I was not sure what to expect and was hoping for a shoot out.
Also couldn't make out Al's character some of the time, one minute he was evil then ok, then nice, then back to evil at the end.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2017, 06:53:57 am »
;)

Series creator David Milch’s “two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO,” Ian McShane reveals to TVLine exclusively, before adding with a laugh, “If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.

http://uproxx.com/tv/ian-mcshane-deadwood-revival-script-hbo/

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2017, 10:45:06 am »
;)

Series creator David Milch’s “two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO,” Ian McShane reveals to TVLine exclusively, before adding with a laugh, “If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.

http://uproxx.com/tv/ian-mcshane-deadwood-revival-script-hbo/
Not quite concrete stuff but I'll clutch any and all available straws!

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »
I've started watching this 2 or 3 times but haven't reached the end yet. I think it's very good so I don't know why I haven't gotten through it. Love westerns.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2017, 01:40:21 pm »
One of the best there's ever been! I've watched 3 times through now, the last time quite recently. I'm currently in the process of killing off my short term memory with vast quantities of cider in an attempt to clear the floor for a rewatch ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2017, 04:03:51 pm »
One of the best there's ever been! I've watched 3 times through now, the last time quite recently. I'm currently in the process of killing off my short term memory with vast quantities of cider in an attempt to clear the floor for a rewatch ;D ;D ;D ;D

Same number of re-watch for me too as well as the last recent one. Thankfully I have an issue with short term memory so I'm sorted . ;D

And yes, it is by far one of the best.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2017, 09:39:22 am »

Francis Wolcott: I feel you breathing down my neck.
    Charlie Utter: Should I exhale out my ass?

Every time, without fail.  ;D