Author Topic: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)  (Read 63390 times)

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)
« on: April 16, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »

First episode aired on FX last night. It starts on Channel 4 on Sunday April 20th at 9pm. I thought it was awesome and has huge potential.

An original adaptation of the Academy Award®-winning feature film, Fargo features an all-new “true crime” story and follows a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and “Minnesota nice” that made the film an enduring classic. Oscar® winner Billy Bob Thornton stars as “Lorne Malvo,” a rootless, manipulative man who meets and forever changes the life of small town insurance salesman “Lester Nygaard,” played by BAFTA Award® winner and Emmy®-nominated Martin Freeman. Colin Hanks plays Duluth Police Deputy “Gus Grimly,” a single dad who must choose between his own personal safety and his duty as a policeman when he comes face-to-face with a killer. Allison Tolman also stars as “Molly Solverson,” an ambitious Bemidji deputy.

Rounding out Fargo’s colorful cast of recurring characters will be Emmy winner Bob Odenkirk as “Deputy Bill Oswalt,” Golden Globe™ and Emmy-nominated Oliver Platt as “Stavros Milos,” Screen Actors Guild Award® winner Kate Walsh as “Gina Hess,” Glenn Howerton (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) as “Don Chumph,” Joey King as “Greta Grimly,” Peter Breitmayer as “Lieutenant Schmidt,” Tom Musgrave as “Bo Munk,” Josh Close as “Chazz Nygaard,” Russell Harvard as “Mr. Wrench,” Adam Goldberg as “Mr. Numbers,” Keegan-Michael Key as “Bill Budge” and Jordan Peele as “Webb Pepper.”

A 10-episode limited series, Fargo is written by Noah Hawley. Emmy Award-winning director Adam Bernstein directed the premiere hour. Hawley, Warren Littlefield, Joel & Ethan Coen and Geyer Kosinski serve as executive producers. Fargo is produced by MGM Television and FX Productions.

IMDB

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6jFU0r0xG_c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6jFU0r0xG_c</a>

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
Re: Fargo (New show from FX/Channel 4)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:34:59 pm »
I'll watch anything with Bob Odenkirk so I'm looking forward to it. There doesn't seem to be an HD download of it around yet though.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:36:00 pm »
Oh you betcha
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:59:09 pm »
I watched the film years ago when it first came out and I thought it was good bit watched it with Mrs Shady last year after telling her it was great and it was boring as fuck. Not sure what I think I watched the first time around but it couldn't of been that.

Might give the first episode a go to see what it's like.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:13:27 pm »
So Bob is doing double duty between this and Better Call Saul? Busy man.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »
Does Martin Freeman employ an accent? (Haven't watched the Trailer yet)
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 01:05:38 am »
Does Martin Freeman employ an accent? (Haven't watched the Trailer yet)
He does indeed. I'm not great with accents though, so I couldn't tell you whether it's good... or naff. Ha.

I just finished watching the first episode actually. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Billy Bob Thornton's character is a real treat - he's kind of like a twisted but funny version of Rust Cohle.
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:58:55 am »
Very enjoyable pilot. Thornton is the most interesting indeed. People are a bit off there, aren't they?

Spoiler
When Thornton said to the bully "your youngest is a bit dim" am I the only one who thought of Sherwood's thread right away?
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 03:15:08 pm »
Really good 1st episode , as people have been saying Billy Bob was excellent made me laugh a few times - promising start .
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 06:42:15 pm »
Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Freeman was really good and I thought Allison Tolman put forth a strong performance. I've never seen her in anything before, but I liked what I saw. Looking forward to more of this.

So Bob is doing double duty between this and Better Call Saul? Busy man.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is being produced as a miniseries, like True Detective, so the cast will change from season to season (assuming they get more than one). Don't remember where I heard that, though. Breaking Bad, Fargo, Better Call Saul...none will ever match the timeless Mr. Show.
Justice For The 96

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 06:48:12 pm »
Seen a cool (completely ridiculous) theory.

Spoiler
BBT is the devil
[close]
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:15 pm »
Just watched it and what a fantastic episode,billy bob thornton is perfectly cast.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 11:24:55 am »
Seen a cool (completely ridiculous) theory.

Spoiler
BBT is the devil
[close]

Spoiler
After the bit in the basement where he dissapeared, I thought Lorne might have been Lesters imagination
[close]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:51:42 am by Elzar »
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 05:42:27 pm »
Very promising start. I love neo noir comedies.
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Dan Dando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 05:50:22 pm »

I love that photo. Billy Bob looks like he just doesn't give a shit  :D
"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." - Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:42 am »
Very Impressive opener...Freeman is excellent in it....I'm in
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 10:30:14 am »
Spoiler
After the bit in the basement where he dissapeared, I thought Lorne might have been Lesters imagination
[close]

Spoiler
Don't know if they'd go that way seeing as Lorne has interacted with other characters and the two of them were seen together in the hospital. It was a great opener anyway, it'll be interesting to see what they do now as some shows might have played that plot out over a whole season instead of just one episode.
[close]

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
Very Impressive opener...Freeman is excellent in it....I'm in
Yep. Didn't realise it was based on a true story either.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 10:39:22 am »
Spoiler
Don't know if they'd go that way seeing as Lorne has interacted with other characters and the two of them were seen together in the hospital. It was a great opener anyway, it'll be interesting to see what they do now as some shows might have played that plot out over a whole season instead of just one episode.
[close]

Spoiler
Ye it was just that one bit that made me think that. Maybe he was arguing with himself in the hospital or something, losing his mind. Wouldn't make sense though! 
[close]

I can't wait for the second episode, it's got me gripped.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 11:56:42 am »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 08:07:05 pm »
Was great. Though not sure of the actress they have for the Frances McDormand role.

Offline Renato

• One Moura One Cup
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 10:48:00 pm »
Great opener, will definitely be watching the next episode

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
Is it worth watching the film before this?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 04:11:32 pm »
Is it worth watching the film before this?

No, there's no common characters.  Similar storylines but a knowledge of the film is not required.

But of course you should watch the film, cos it's brilliant.  Wonderful acting (Macy was robbed of the Oscar, McDormand got hers), the Coen Brothers most complete work (IMHO), gorgeous Carter Burwell score, fabulous Roger Deakins cinematograhy, so many quotable lines.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »
Recorded it last night and watched it this morning. It was great. Going to Sky+ the series so I don't miss it.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 05:29:11 pm »
Just watched on 4OD and really liked it.
I like the tone of it...there aren't enough dark dramas really, with a decent amount of black humour.
Looking forward to the rest of it now
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 02:10:52 am »
No, there's no common characters.  Similar storylines but a knowledge of the film is not required.

But of course you should watch the film, cos it's brilliant.  Wonderful acting (Macy was robbed of the Oscar, McDormand got hers), the Coen Brothers most complete work (IMHO), gorgeous Carter Burwell score, fabulous Roger Deakins cinematograhy, so many quotable lines.

Cheers, will give the film a watch sometime this week.

Just watched the first episode & thought it was brilliant from start to finish, looking forward to the second episode.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 12:30:41 pm »
Just making a mental note to watch this tonight, glad to hear its gone down well with most on here.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 03:25:37 pm »
I missed having good Billy Bob Thornton in my life. The last decent thing I remember him in was Bad Santa, and that's a decade ago.

His line readings are something else.  Nobody else could deliver a line like 'Son, she compared you to a clam' like he can.  Made me laugh out loud at work thinking about it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 07:20:15 pm »
I missed having good Billy Bob Thornton in my life. The last decent thing I remember him in was Bad Santa, and that's a decade ago.

His line readings are something else.  Nobody else could deliver a line like 'Son, she compared you to a clam' like he can.  Made me laugh out loud at work thinking about it.
He's a brilliant actor and great at playing dark or withdrawn characters,so perfectly cast in fargo.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:39 pm »

He was in a few movies basically playing that same sort of character and was awesome. There's something great about BBT that makes him a lot more fun playing to type than others do.

And obviously he's able to be a real actor as well, as Fargo shows.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:40 am »
Watched the 1st episode last night and thought it was great. Billy Bob & Freeman were both brilliant. Looking forward to seeing the rest of these now, hope the standard stays as high.

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:14 pm »
was Fantastic.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »
Fabulous opener. Just hope the rumoured inclusion of Alan Davies in the second episode presumably to clear up the BBT basement vanishing doesn't mar it. Smuggo Arsenal twat.

>:(

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 07:48:19 am »
Think this is fantastic.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »
Watched the 2nd episode last night, really enjoyed it again. It had some very funny moments in it. Good to see Adam Goldberg in there, always enjoy his performances.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 06:41:54 pm »
I watched it thinking it might be a let down but i was delighted with the first episode. Freeman really is a good actor and Billy Bob was sardonically funny.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 11:07:04 pm »
Watched the first episode, absolutely loved it. Really looking forward to the next one.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 11:19:03 pm »
Thought the second episode was even better. The BBT-Oliver Platt scene was great.
Justice For The 96

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 10:06:56 am »
Watched the first one last night,best pilot episode since Homeland,brilliant.