Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 47479 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Twin Peaks
« Reply #80 on: October 6, 2014, 08:56:49 pm »
Would.
Possibly the wrong piece of work but who cares :P
« Last Edit: October 6, 2014, 08:58:55 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 6, 2014, 08:58:21 pm »
I loved Twin Peaks in it's entirety, for me it wasn't about who killed Laura Palmer, it was about the town and the lodge mythology, the murder was just a way to get Coop to Twin Peaks.
I just liked the owls ::)

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #82 on: October 6, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »
If you ask me, they jumped the shark or revealed to early. Whilst this isn't exactly the right phrase (Rob might be able to summon the right phrase), essentially I think we can all mostly agree when the series began it's downward trajectory.

It's this moment, isn't it, if it's not, it should be.

I watched the entire Twin Peaks canon a few months back for the first time, knowing that the first series was highly rated, the second series was downhill and the film was terrible. Well it was half right, the first series is terrific, the second series is hit and miss, but the film is fantastic.

I'd love a 8 episode final series wrapping it all up, Lynch directing it all would be brilliant. Shame that we won't be seeing a few characters for a second time around...

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 6, 2014, 08:59:58 pm »
I hope James drives his motorcycle off a cliff.

Madchen Amick is on a couple of the Bluray extras with Lynch, they seem like quite good friends so I'd imagine she's a cert.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #84 on: October 6, 2014, 09:01:37 pm »
I hope James drives his motorcycle off a cliff.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 6, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »
Ha! It looks like he's doing a jobby! ;D

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 6, 2014, 09:06:16 pm »

Look at the face on it, the whiny bitch.  That fucking terrible song him Donna and Maddie sang was the only time the show nearly lost me.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #87 on: October 6, 2014, 09:09:17 pm »
On another note, if anyone hasn't played the game Deadly Premonition, they should go and get it now. Alan Wake was also inspired by Twin Peaks, was it not?

Would.

It may sound ridiculous, but this was the TV version of Kenny coming back as manager when I heard this afternoon!

I am so, so excited, even with a bit of trepidation. It's eased my mind that Lynch and Frost seem to have full creative control and that Lynch will direct every episode. It's their baby, they should dictate what happens. And hopefully Showtime will know better than to interfere.

The casting will be interesting. Most of the cast (with the exception of Frank Silva, Don S Davis and Jack Nance) are still alive, and none are really overloaded with work these days (Madchen Amick shows up in the odd show, and I saw Sherilyn Fenn in the new season of Ray Donovan but that's about it really). MacLachlan tweeted a photo of himself with Lynch last month which seems to indicate that he's on board.

Can't wait to find out how they continue the story. Is Dale still stuck in the Lodge? Who did BOB kill when he was inhabiting the Cooper doppleganger? Will we get to see Diane? Will James still be having doomed affair with rich bored housewives? (I really hope that latter storyline doesn't come up again).

Roll on 2016!

I do think that it may act as a Canon for further series, I really can't see Showcase investing in it without a further commitment. Saying that, I'm surprised HBO weren't on it like flies on shit. But, maybe Showcase were willing to leave them to it.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #88 on: October 6, 2014, 09:10:09 pm »

Yeah, me and my mate had a nickname for him. "Frozenface".

He looked as if he was containing a runny fart in every scene.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 6, 2014, 10:57:59 pm »
At last. Let's hope the majestic pine weasel is still around, and can be saved.

By the way, it took me umpteen watches of A Few Good Men to realise James was Louden Downey.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 6, 2014, 11:01:48 pm »
At last. Let's hope the majestic pine weasel is still around, and can be saved.

By the way, it took me umpteen watches of A Few Good Men to realise James was Louden Downey.
Good to know you realised the truth in the end ::)

Offline Dingus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Man Without Fear
« Reply #91 on: October 6, 2014, 11:31:33 pm »
man, I can't wait for this! :fishslap  ;D

Online elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #92 on: October 7, 2014, 12:09:09 am »
I hope Angelo Badalamenti and Julee Cruise are on board. Without them, fuggedaboutit.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2014, 01:18:50 am by elbow »
We are Liverpool!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 7, 2014, 12:10:36 am »
Please, don't be shit.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #94 on: October 7, 2014, 01:09:40 am »
Audrey Horne, quite possibly the most beautiful person in the history of the universe.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 7, 2014, 10:37:18 am »
Tie me a cherry knot.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 7, 2014, 11:03:14 am »

Didn't know Suarez was an actor.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 7, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »
Hello

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 7, 2014, 12:12:01 pm »
Excited, even though I watched it years after it was cancelled, was gutted when the second season showed it had been messed around and when I finished the second season. I loved the atmosphere and the strangeness, most of the characters.... To see all that again, new.

Plus trepidation. It has been some time, how will they adjust to explain the time gap with the cast aged or, in some cases, gone? Can they recapture the old magic?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 7, 2014, 12:20:07 pm »
Excited, even though I watched it years after it was cancelled, was gutted when the second season showed it had been messed around and when I finished the second season. I loved the atmosphere and the strangeness, most of the characters.... To see all that again, new.

Plus trepidation. It has been some time, how will they adjust to explain the time gap with the cast aged or, in some cases, gone? Can they recapture the old magic?

The time gap is easy enough to explain, seeing as Cooper was trapped in the Black Lodge for twenty-five years, a period of time that expires in 2016, it'll be set 25 years after Season two's climax.

Hope Audrey is still alive, Sherilyn Fenn still has something about her, as does Madchen Amick.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2014, 12:22:00 pm by rob1408 »

Offline voodoo billy

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #100 on: October 7, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
So long as Deputy Andy has been eaten by rabid owls in the interim, I'm happy to get on board with this.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 7, 2014, 12:56:29 pm »

That's the thing isn't it?

It will be difficult to recreate the analogue feel that e.g. Star Wars failed so miserably with. Maybe they will even shoot with the same film and format. In my opinion Twin Peaks was David Lynch's magnum opus. A lot of people will say that his best work was with later films, but I think that what he sow in Blue Velvet really flourished in Twin Peaks. Lost Highway was great but at that point, for me, he started to skid off the road a bit, and he was in the ditch in Mulholland Drive, even though both of them were good films.

If him and Frost manages to get back to that magic combination that made Twin Peaks then I think it has every chance of being great. He already has a set style, with the compositions and the surrealist feel. Filming something ordinary and making it awful, just by angles and cuts and music, he can do that. I just hope he can get back to Twin Peaks, and not to try to make a digital reinvented copy of himself.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 7, 2014, 01:10:43 pm »
I'm not sure how Twin Peaks can be considered Lynch's magnum opus when he only wrote four episodes and directed six.  Mark Frost and Robert Engels were the only constant throughout writing eleven and ten episodes respectively.  A lot of people give Lynch the lion's share of credit and forget about Frost, who also co-created the show, Frost was the one holding it together when Lynch sodded off for most of season two.

I love the work of David Lynch, he's probably my favourite modern director, Lost Highway and Inland Empire are two phenomenal films, but he's partly responsible for the collapse of the show in the first place.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 7, 2014, 01:54:35 pm »
Magnum opus as in his "greatest work". And for me it's his best/greatest work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_opus

You're right about Frost though.

But season 2 was rather average after Leland died, which is for the most part, and that was when Lynch was not much involved, until the final episode of course.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 7, 2014, 01:57:53 pm »
In case anyone missed Badalamenti talking about creating the music: http://youtu.be/SwvSFOEfHJE.

Awesome!

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 7, 2014, 02:15:33 pm »
Magnum opus as in his "greatest work". And for me it's his best/greatest work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_opus

You're right about Frost though.

But season 2 was rather average after Leland died, which is for the most part, and that was when Lynch was not much involved, until the final episode of course.

Well how is it his greatest achievement when he was involved in approximately 30% of it ?   The majority of the show was someone else's achievement.  Granted, he co-created the show and directed a few choice episodes, but he was involved surprisingly little.  I don't consider it 'David Lynch's Twin Peaks' just as I don't consider it to be his towering achievement as most of it came from other people's creativity.  Mulholland Dr, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, Inland Empire, those are projects he had full artistic control over. 

He gave birth to the show (and helped destroy it) but barring a few guiding hands along the way and co-creating the tone other people raised it.

Barring when he acted in it, Lynch had direct involvement in a third of the episodes and didn't even attend production meetings for half of them.  Mark Frost was essentially the show runner and that final episode was already written when Lynch decided to direct it.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2014, 02:34:45 pm by rob1408 »

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 7, 2014, 02:19:00 pm »
In case anyone missed Badalamenti talking about creating the music: http://youtu.be/SwvSFOEfHJE.

Awesome!

That's great, really is.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 7, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »

Well how is it his greatest achievement when he was involved in approximately 30% of it ?   The majority of the show was someone else's achievement.  Granted, he co-created the show and directed a few choice episodes, but he was involved surprisingly little.  I don't consider it 'David Lynch's Twin Peaks' just as I don't consider it to be his towering achievement as most of it came from other people's creativity.  Mulholland Dr, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, Inland Empire, those are projects he had full artistic control over. 

He gave birth to the show (and helped destroy it) but barring a few guiding hands along the way and co-creating the tone other people raised it.

Barring when he acted in it, Lynch had direct involvement in a third of the episodes and didn't even attend production meetings for half of them.  Mark Frost was essentially the show runner and that final episode was already written when Lynch decided to direct it.

Is it nitpicking day? I must have missed that.

The stuff that he created for Twin Peaks is, in my opinion, his best work. Is that okay for you? The below list is what I liked about his contribution, it's not limited to his involvement.

The Pilot (possible "direct to video" feauture film with alternative ending): Writer, Director, Executive Producer
Episode 1.2: Writer, Director, Executive Producer
Episode 1.3: Writer, Director, Executive Producer
Episode 1.4 - 1.8: Executive Producer
Episode 2.20: Writer, Director, Executive Producer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #108 on: October 7, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

Telekon is saying that the Lynch specific parts of Twin Peaks are, in his opinion, Lynch's best work and Rob is saying Twin Peaks, as a whole, can't be considered his magnus opus because it was such a collaborative effort, in which he played a relatively small role in. Don't think one negates the other.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 7, 2014, 10:54:53 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/99MH_TaWLVg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/99MH_TaWLVg</a>

I wonder if we'll find out whether Leo ever got his new shoes?

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 8, 2014, 02:29:53 am »
CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2014, 04:38:12 pm »
Well yeah, I've probably watched it about six times, recently upgraded my DVDs to Bluray and watched it again.

Been thinking of either buying the newish Bluray big box (50£), or the old big DVD-set (20£). Of course Fire Walk With Me is not in the DVD-set, but would you definitely recommend the Bluray set in terms of extra material and quality, or would the DVD-set be well good enough for its price?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2014, 05:34:03 pm »
Been thinking of either buying the newish Bluray big box (50£), or the old big DVD-set (20£). Of course Fire Walk With Me is not in the DVD-set, but would you definitely recommend the Bluray set in terms of extra material and quality, or would the DVD-set be well good enough for its price?

Personally, I'd hold fire, or perhaps pick up the DVD set.  If I knew they were going to make another series I probably wouldn't of upgraded (I'd of waited for the super-duper ultimate set which is inevitable).  The picture quality on the DVD set (I'm talking about the definitive gold set that turned out not to be so definitive) is really good, it's been remastered, and there are plenty of extras.  The one thing the Bluray set has that the DVDs don't is a plethora of deleted scenes, none of which really add anything, but are worth a watch for curiosities sake, I've watched them just the once, I doubt I'll bother again.  It also has the movie, but you could probably pick that up cheap enough.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/99MH_TaWLVg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/99MH_TaWLVg</a>

I wonder if we'll find out whether Leo ever got his new shoes?

That was one of the storylines that really got on my tits. I despised the 'acting' of... Well, whoever it was that played Leo, and I seriously thought Madchen Amick should have had a far more interesting storyline.

The whole Leo affair should have been put to bed sooner than it did.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2014, 10:51:19 pm »
Personally, I'd hold fire, or perhaps pick up the DVD set.  If I knew they were going to make another series I probably wouldn't of upgraded (I'd of waited for the super-duper ultimate set which is inevitable).  The picture quality on the DVD set (I'm talking about the definitive gold set that turned out not to be so definitive) is really good, it's been remastered, and there are plenty of extras.  The one thing the Bluray set has that the DVDs don't is a plethora of deleted scenes, none of which really add anything, but are worth a watch for curiosities sake, I've watched them just the once, I doubt I'll bother again.  It also has the movie, but you could probably pick that up cheap enough.

Cheers for the info. It's almost down to a coin toss at this point. Do you now if the Blu-ray is from another master version, I mean is it a better version apart from being in 1080p, for I can't really tell any difference from 720 to 1080 considering my screen size and distance to screen.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2014, 11:07:35 pm »
CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!

Loved him. Especially his scenes in the diner.

Watching it now on SyFy.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2014, 09:32:00 am »
Cheers for the info. It's almost down to a coin toss at this point. Do you now if the Blu-ray is from another master version, I mean is it a better version apart from being in 1080p, for I can't really tell any difference from 720 to 1080 considering my screen size and distance to screen.
Both the Gold box and Bluray set used the original master as their source, there is a touch of grain on the Bluray, but I assume that comes from damage to the original negative, that aside, the quality is superb. 

The quality of the Gold Box is also very good, especially as its a DVD of a show that's approaching 25 years old, when I first watched the set I was amazed at how great it looked, it was the best I'd ever seen the show look until the Bluray was released.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »
Fire Walk With Me is on the Syfy channel tonight at 10pm.  They're showing Lost Highway at the same time tomorrow night.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2015, 10:57:27 pm »
See Kyle McLaughlin is confirmed as is every episode directed by Lynch.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2015, 02:02:24 am »
See Kyle McLaughlin is confirmed as is every episode directed by Lynch.