Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 817664 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #800 on: November 3, 2011, 10:00:22 am »
nice!

must look at that as im more in amazement with gerry byrne setting up the goal with his broken collar bone. how the hell did he play 110+ mins with that.

Here it is HR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfXj5zM_UXM.

A couple of minutes that include (a) the collision between Bobby Collins and Gerry Byrne that resulted in Gerry's collar-bone break and (b) the run by Willie Stevenson that helped set up Roger's opening goal.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2011, 10:02:40 am by kriss »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #801 on: November 3, 2011, 10:29:47 am »
Here it is HR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfXj5zM_UXM.

A couple of minutes that include (a) the collision between Bobby Collins and Gerry Byrne that resulted in Gerry's collar-bone break and (b) the run by Willie Stevenson that helped set up Roger's opening goal.
cheers lad
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #802 on: November 3, 2011, 04:53:04 pm »
deportivo away was a great result, considering we had lost to olympiakos and only drawn with deportivo at home prior to that. famous of course for arguably the best performance of igor biscan's liverpool career.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #803 on: November 3, 2011, 05:08:36 pm »
deportivo away was a great result, considering we had lost to olympiakos and only drawn with deportivo at home prior to that. famous of course for arguably the best performance of igor biscan's liverpool career.
He was brilliant that night. Did that performance inspire his 'supercroat...' banner i wonder?

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: November 3, 2011, 08:06:11 pm »
Arsenal away in 1973 - Emlyn Hughes scored an unbelievable goal from outside the box to open the scoring. Unable to find any footage but sure that game was on MOTD.

I think that was the game Tommy Smith wasn't named on the bench and took off home before the game started.

On the walk to Highbury from the Tube Station most of those that arrived on the Special had stuck together and happened to walk past a church where a couple of poor unfortunates were posing for pictures after just getting married and had to listen to 200 Scousers singing "she only wants your money".

I think that was the day that Liverpool charted the League Liner complete with disco carrage to take fans to the game along with the regular special. It was run by the Football League and most clubs used it once or twice. Not surprisingly, I think it only lasted one season.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #805 on: November 3, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »
Arsenal away in 1973 - Emlyn Hughes scored an unbelievable goal from outside the box to open the scoring. Unable to find any footage but sure that game was on MOTD.

I think that was the game Tommy Smith wasn't named on the bench and took off home before the game started.

On the walk to Highbury from the Tube Station most of those that arrived on the Special had stuck together and happened to walk past a church where a couple of poor unfortunates were posing for pictures after just getting married and had to listen to 200 Scousers singing "she only wants your money".

I think that was the day that Liverpool charted the League Liner complete with disco carrage to take fans to the game along with the regular special. It was run by the Football League and most clubs used it once or twice. Not surprisingly, I think it only lasted one season.

Here's that goal by Hughes 81a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RJXr0-u960#t=271s and Yes, it was on Match of the Day. You can find all Match of the Day listings at http://sites.google.com/site/motdlistings/home

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #806 on: November 3, 2011, 08:39:29 pm »
You can find all Match of the Day listings at http://sites.google.com/site/motdlistings/home
Bookmarked.
Cheers for that, mate..

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #807 on: November 3, 2011, 08:46:52 pm »
Bookmarked.
Cheers for that, mate..

Terry,

If the score is underlined it means you can click on the score and the action will open in a separate window.

Unfortunately, there are quite a lot of Liverpool matches that were on MotD where the score is not underlined and other matches where although the score is underlined, the clip has no Liverpool action. For example, there was an amazing match at Anfield against Birmingham in December 1972 when we were 0-2 and 1-3 down but recovered to win 4-3. But the link from the Match of the Day listings page only shows one of Birmingham's goals and none of ours. So it's a bit hit-and-miss.

Chris

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #808 on: November 3, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »
Terry,

If the score is underlined it means you can click on the score and the action will open in a separate window.

Unfortunately, there are quite a lot of Liverpool matches that were on MotD where the score is not underlined and other matches where although the score is underlined, the clip has no Liverpool action. For example, there was an amazing match at Anfield against Birmingham in December 1972 when we were 0-2 and 1-3 down but recovered to win 4-3. But the link from the Match of the Day listings page only shows one of Birmingham's goals and none of ours. So it's a bit hit-and-miss.

Chris
Yeah, just noticed that when I clicked on a few.
Still good mind and sure to keep me busy for a while, mate..

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: November 3, 2011, 09:40:05 pm »
Here's that goal by Hughes 81a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RJXr0-u960#t=271s and Yes, it was on Match of the Day. You can find all Match of the Day listings at http://sites.google.com/site/motdlistings/home

Thanks. - Less than 40'000 at that game @ 40p to get in the ground and a 20p kids gate. Reckon the gate receipts that day would have been around £ 20.000.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: November 3, 2011, 11:02:01 pm »
I agree with everyone who commented on how well Igor played in La Coruna. Their stadium was at best 1/2 full that night for a CL game. Considering they had won La Liga 4 years earlier, and were still one of the top sides in Spain then, it was a very poor turnout by the locals.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: November 3, 2011, 11:06:26 pm »
igors run for that goal was brilliant

ive always said we wouldnt have won the champions league without him

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #812 on: November 3, 2011, 11:13:34 pm »
igors run for that goal was brilliant

ive always said we wouldnt have won the champions league without him

;D

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: November 3, 2011, 11:26:04 pm »
As November 4th is nearly upon us I'd like to recall some personal memories, both good and bad, from this date:

2010: Gerrard hat-trick in last 15 minutes to beat Napoli 3-1 after we'd been crap until he came on. Game played in a horrible atmosphere caused by the Napoli scum (be on guard City fans when you go there in a couple of weeks). Ticket Office cock up meant my season ticket wouldn't scan, and I eventually got in just as the game was starting having originally reached turnstiles with 35 mins to spare!!

2001: Another 3-1 win on the day that John Arne Riise scored that goal in a game which I expect plenty more coverage of in the next 24 hours. He scored quite a few spectacular goals for us, but that was the pick of the bunch IMO.

2000: Lost 4-3 at Leeds after leading 2-0 and 3-2. To make matters worse the fat Aussie scored all 4 goals for them in what was otherwise a career of non achievement.

1995: Another defeat that is hard to explain. Battered Newcastle away, but conceded in the 1st 2 mins and injury time to lose 2-1. 5 months later in the return we would score in the 1st 2 mins and injury time to narrowly beat them on an unforgettable night.

1987: Ray Houghton got his 1st Liverpool goal in a 1 all draw at Wimbledon.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: November 3, 2011, 11:29:23 pm »
As November 4th is nearly upon us I'd like to recall some personal memories, both good and bad, from this date:

2010: Gerrard hat-trick in last 15 minutes to beat Napoli 3-1 after we'd been crap until he came on. Game played in a horrible atmosphere caused by the Napoli scum (be on guard City fans when you go there in a couple of weeks). Ticket Office cock up meant my season ticket wouldn't scan, and I eventually got in just as the game was starting having originally reached turnstiles with 35 mins to spare!!

2001: Another 3-1 win on the day that John Arne Riise scored that goal in a game which I expect plenty more coverage of in the next 24 hours. He scored quite a few spectacular goals for us, but that was the pick of the bunch IMO.

2000: Lost 4-3 at Leeds after leading 2-0 and 3-2. To make matters worse the fat Aussie scored all 4 goals for them in what was otherwise a career of non achievement.

1995: Another defeat that is hard to explain. Battered Newcastle away, but conceded in the 1st 2 mins and injury time to lose 2-1. 5 months later in the return we would score in the 1st 2 mins and injury time to narrowly beat them on an unforgettable night.

1987: Ray Houghton got his 1st Liverpool goal in a 1 all draw at Wimbledon.

I'll be covering all those, Alan ... with video-clips where I can find them. Just waiting for midnight to arrive while I check all the details!

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: November 3, 2011, 11:33:27 pm »
I'll be covering all those, Alan ... with video-clips where I can find them. Just waiting for midnight to arrive while I check all the details!

Looking forward to seeing it. I posted in advance as my IT at work won't let me post on forums, and Friday night is pub night.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: November 3, 2011, 11:35:56 pm »
Looking forward to seeing it. I posted in advance as my IT at work won't let me post on forums, and Friday night is pub night.

"'In advance" is fine because it jogs my own memory. I don't really like posting until Rafa_La has put the list up each day but he doesn't seem to mind me getting in early as he lives in a different time-zone!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #817 on: November 3, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »

;D

no seriously. Depor game. Plus the six knockout games he was outstanding

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: November 4, 2011, 12:06:47 am »
4th November 1970 : Dinamo Bucharest 1 Liverpool 1

Although only the club’s 7th season of European competition, the players had enough confidence (and we had confidence in them) to go abroad and perform well especially … as in this case … if we held a comfortable first-leg lead. Alun Evuns sustained a bad injury early on and would not play again until March. The man who replaced him, 21-year-old Phil Boersma, equalised early in the second half. It was the first of his 30 senior Liverpool goals, eight of which came in competitive European matches.

The referee was Austrian Erich Linemayr, who at the end of this decade would take the European Cup final between Nottingham Forest and Malmö FF.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: November 4, 2011, 12:08:53 am »
4th November 1975 : Liverpool 6 Real Sociedad 0

One of the rare occasions when I stood in the Anfield Road end. So I had an excellent view of the four late goals that sealed this emphatic win. Both Phil Neal and David Fairclough scored their first senior goals for Liverpool. The opening goal on this evening was laid on by 19-year-old Brian Kettle, who was making his debut. Brian’s accurate cross from the left enabled John Toshack to score with a firm header past future Spanish international Javier Urruti.

Kevin Keegan missed a first-half penalty. Kevin wasn’t as reliable from the spot as some people think. He scored eleven but this was one of six that he missed.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: November 4, 2011, 12:10:08 am »
4th November 1972 : Liverpool 3 Chelsea 1

Toshack’s second goal is at 4 minutes 15 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwdXy90JTVo

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: November 4, 2011, 12:12:28 am »
4th November 1978 : Liverpool 1 Leeds United 1

One of only 2 points we dropped at home all season (the other was to Everton in March); and we shouldn’t have lost this point because after John Hawley had put Leeds ahead Phil Neal missed a penalty shortly before half-time. When we were awarded another penalty with ten minutes left, Terry McDermott stepped up to confidently strike the ball past David Harvey to protect our unbeaten home record. It was Terry’s first penalty wearing Liverpool colours.

Terry McDermott scored 16 of his 20 penalties for Liverpool, a success rate of 80%; Phil Neal, however, missed 13 out of 51, a success rate of only 74.51%. For all the medals that he won, no man has missed more penalties in Liverpool’s history than Philip George Neal. It could easily be argued, though, that no man with the possible exception of Alan Kennedy or Vladimir Smicer, ever scored a more important Liverpool penalty than Phil.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: November 4, 2011, 12:13:39 am »
4th November 1981 : Liverpool 3 AZ Alkmaar 2

A thoroughly entertaining game against the Dutch champions. A McDermott penalty put as ahead but Kees Kist, who had also scored in the first leg in Amsterdam, equalised. Ian Rush restored our lead but a bizarre own-goal by Phil Thompson levelled things up again, not only on the night but also on aggregate (it was 4-4 at that stage). Phil’s unlucky moment was in a way similar to the own-goal the unfortunate Ron Yeats had scored in the 1966 final at Hampden Park. Thompson, running back to try and clear a shot with Bruce Grobbelaar stranded, saw the ball hit the crossbar and then rebound into the net off his body (I said his body not specifically his nose!!). Alan Hansen popped up with 5 minutes left to win the match and the tie.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: November 4, 2011, 12:15:14 am »
4th November 1987 : Wimbledon 1 Liverpool 1

Ray Houghton’s first Liverpool goal, after he had come on as substitute for Craig Johnston only two minutes earlier. For anyone who wants to see the goal, it’s at 2 minutes 27 seconds of this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGU3DcZo3Y&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL9E9A650EEE728044

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: November 4, 2011, 12:16:42 am »
4th November 1989 : Liverpool 0 Coventry City 1
Coventry’s first-ever win at Anfield at their 26th attempt (22 in the League, 4 in the domestic cups). Cyrille Regis scored their goal. It’s at 1 minute 8 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-39k9KBhG-A&feature=related

Oh … and my fucking car ran out of petrol on my way home :no!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: November 4, 2011, 12:18:07 am »
4th November 1992 : Liverpool 0 Spartak Moscow 2

This is the trailer with which the BBC tried to entice viewers to watch this match :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoZye-ej-Qg

I watched this from one of my rare excursions into the Upper Centenary Stand. Pulling back two goals without giving anything away against a strong Eastern European team was always going to be a tough task. The home crowd tried its hardest to lift the players but the Russians’ iron curtain stayed firmly shut before strikes from full internationals Dmitri Radchenko and Andrei Piatnitski into the Anfield Road goal sealed our fate. Mike Hooper replaced Bruce Grobbelaar who was serving a ban for his dismissal in the first leg.

I have only today found our goals from the match in Moscow. This clip also shows the two Spartak goals at Anfield :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkFUsY3huy4

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: November 4, 2011, 12:20:26 am »

4th November 1997 : Liverpool 2 Strasbourg

The BBC again tried to big this match up :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82VmuaIbcM

but our abject surrender in France two weeks earlier made this a near-impossible task. To get within a goal of Strasbourg’s first-leg total was commendable. Today the attendance at a European home match would be close to capacity no matter what the circumstances or overall match situation. But in 1997 the attendance for this UEFA cup-tie was 4,000 lower than the home Premier League matches that preceded and followed it.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: November 4, 2011, 12:21:49 am »
4th November 2000 : Leeds United 4 Liverpool 3

A thriller, Yes. But it isn’t nice to be on the wrong end of a 4-3 score-line (Ask any Newcastle supporter!). We should never have lost after taking a two-nil lead or after reclaiming the lead at 3-2. Christian Ziege’s error gifted Mark Viduka the first of his four goals but there wasn’t much Westerveld could do about the other three. Sometimes we look at goals conceded and try to analyse what went wrong defensively. For anyone who wants to do that with Viduka’s four goals, here they are :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jRjUYAobZ8

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: November 4, 2011, 12:23:05 am »
4th November 2001 : Liverpool 3 Manchester United 1

I give you just four words … John, Arne, Riise and missile :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhdSdGfbBow

Please feel free to add any more words that you think are appropriate!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: November 4, 2011, 12:24:42 am »
4th November 2006 : Liverpool 2 Reading 0

The first time Dirk Kuyt scored twice in the same match for Liverpool. Here’s the second as filmed by someone who was in the Paddock :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz__vUyzMoE

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #830 on: November 4, 2011, 12:25:39 am »
4th November 2008 : Liverpool 1 Atletico Madrid 1

We certainly used our get-out-of-gaol card on this evening. Maxi Rodriguez (who he ?) gave the visitors the lead as half-time approached. They kept that lead until the third minute of added-time at the end of the second half. That was the moment when Swedish referee Martin Hansson, after consulting one of his assistants, decided that a mid-air collision in the penalty-area had been caused by Mariona Pernia not Steven Gerrard. That was harsh on Atletico but they had been fortunate to avoid an earlier penalty when Luis Pera clearly handled the ball.

Gerrard tucked the late spot-kick away to keep both clubs firmly in control of Champions League Group D.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: November 4, 2011, 12:27:07 am »
4th November 2009 : Olympique Lyonnais 1 Liverpool 1

Normally a draw at Lyon, perennial and awkward European competitors, would be seen as a good result. Not so this time. Ryan Babel awoke from his usual lethargic state to strike a stupendous shot past Hugo Lloris with only 7 minutes remaining. But confusion in the visitors’ penalty-area with time running out allowed Lisandro Lopez, who had scored against Liverpool for Porto two years earlier, to drive an equaliser past Reina.

Babel’s goal has to be one of the best ever scored by a Liverpool player in a European competitive match or indeed any match :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGfozkrVMhE

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: November 4, 2011, 12:28:36 am »
4th November 2010 : Liverpool 3 Napoli 1

Our most recent match on this date. As seems to be the rule now rather than the exception, the visiting club had a large and noisy contingent of supporters backing them, although how many of them had actually travelled from outside the United Kingdom remains open to question. Unusually for a European night at Anfield, there was real animosity rather than respect between the two sets of supporters, although what had happened in Naples two weeks earlier was largely responsible for that.

Hesitation in defence gave Ezequiel Lavezzi the opportunity to put the Italians ahead on the half-hour. But second-half substitute Steven Gerrard’s second European hat-trick in a 14-minute spell sent the Italians home to lick their wounds (metaphorically in the case of their players, physically in the case of some of their supporters who wanted to scrap with both locals and Police in the vicinity of Goodison Park after the match).

Here are the goals :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO5bvrrEGhg

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: November 4, 2011, 12:35:02 am »
i got absolutely mortal drunk after that leeds 4-3 game. it was an 11.30am kick off and by the time the pubs around my way actually opened we were already 2-0 up. shame it went pear shaped after that. leeds were a bloody good team back then though.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #834 on: November 4, 2011, 07:22:33 am »
4th November 2010 : Liverpool 3 Napoli 1
One of the vivid memories of that game last year was the Napoli goal. One of the wildest goal celebrations I think I've ever seen at that end of the ground. It was definately over capacity in there too. Strange atmosphere all night. There was a big mob of standing Liverpool fans in the Main Stand towards the road end; don't think I've seen that before, and all related to what went on in Naples if course. Animosity rather than respect was the order of the day as you say Kriss.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #835 on: November 4, 2011, 07:35:21 am »
4th November 2001 : Liverpool 3 Manchester United 1

I give you just four words … John, Arne, Riise and missile :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhdSdGfbBow" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LhdSdGfbBow</a>

Please feel free to add any more words that you think are appropriate!

*sniff* *sniff* Release The Kracken !!! I jizz to that Risse freekick.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #836 on: November 4, 2011, 07:36:24 am »
And a comment on the freekick video : Imagine if Riise had missed. He could have killed one of the inbred mancs behind the goal.

;D ;D ;D

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #837 on: November 4, 2011, 08:38:57 am »
Today In History
November 4th

1961 Preston North End (Division Two) Deepdale 3-1
Gordon Milne 29' Ian Callaghan 56' Ian St John 63'
Att 29,243

1967 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 1-1
Roger Hunt 72'
Att 47,682

1970 Dinamo Bucharest (European Fairs Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) 23erd August Stadium 1-1
Phil Boersma 47'
Att 50,000

1972 Chelsea (Division One) Anfield 3-1
John Toshack 33' 55' Kevin Keegan 50'
Att 48,932

1975 Real Sociedad (UEFA Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 6-0
John Toshack 14' Ray Kennedy 30' 75' David Fairclough 72' Steve Heighway 77' Phil Neal 79'
Att 23,796

1978 Leeds United (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Terry McDermott 81' (Pen)
Att 51,657

1981 AZ 67 Alkmaar (European Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 3-2
Terry McDermott 42'(Pen) Ian Rush 68' Alan Hansen 85'
Att 29,703

1987 Wimbledon (Division One) Plough Lane 1-1
Ray Houghton 62'
Att 13,544

1989 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 0-1
Att 36,433

1990 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 3-1
Ian Rush 38' 48' Peter Beardsley 67'
Att 35,033

1992 Spartak Moscow (European Cup-Winners Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 0-2
Att 37,993

1995 Newcastle United (Premier League) St James Park 1-2
Ian Rush 11'
Att 36,547

1997 Strasbourg (UEFA Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 2-0
Robbie Fowler 63' (Pen) KarlHeinz Riedle 84'
Att 32,426

2000 Leeds United (Premier League) Elland Road 3-4
Sami Hyypia 2' Christian Ziege 17' Vladimir Smicer 61'
Att 40,055

2001 Manchester United (Premier League) Anfield 3-1
Michael Owen 31' 51' John Arne Riise 39'
Att 44,361

2006 Reading (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Dirk Kuyt 14' 73'
Att 43,741

2008 Atletico Madrid (Champions League Group Stage Match 4) Anfield 1-1
Gerrard 90'(Pen)
Att 42,010

2009 Lyon (Champions League Group Stage Match 4) Stade De Gerland 1-1
Ryan Babel 83'
Att 39,180

2010 SSC Napoli (Europa League-Group Stage-Match 4) Anfield 3-1
Steven Gerrard 75' 88'(Pen) 89'
Att 33,895

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Neil Mellor (29)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Brian Kettle (1975)

DEBUT GOALS

Ian Callaghan (1961)
Phil Boersma (1970)
David Fairclough (1975) European
Phil Neal (1975) European
Ray Houghton (1987)
Christian Ziege (2000)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: November 4, 2011, 09:08:15 am »
that lyon game was a fucking sickener. looked like wed pulled a rabbit out of a hat and they caught us out at the end.

i never heard about the trouble with napoli? was in naples in the summer gone by and really enjoyed it.

i actually downloaded highlights of the wimbledon game in 1987. think we hit the post at the end. beasant was kinda caught out on the edge of his own box and the ball hit the post , he seemed to take an eternity to react to that.

the leeds one i was watching wwe (or wwf as it was then) smackdown and i flicked over to a blocked picture of sky with sound only. heard hyypias goal and i didnt know it was an early kick off. thought they were showing highlights from an old game.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #839 on: November 4, 2011, 09:17:35 am »
I was at that Coventry game with my Dad and his mate and son who were both Coventry fans. They couldn’t believe their luck! I remember all the way through the 2nd half a young lad behind me talking to his Dad who kept saying, “don’t worry son, we’ll score” and I remember having absolute faith that he was right having seen it happen so often over the years. Was a real sickener when he turned out to be a big fat liar! A momentous day this one, it was my final game of Cub Football in the morning as I was about to turn 11. The end of an era!

A few ‘sickners’ from this day as it turns out. That 4-3 at Leeds was galling, should never have lost but just couldn’t handle fat Viduka. I remember Westerveld just kept committing himself to ground early and Viduka kept dinking it over him. We got a fair bit of revenge later in the season by knocking them out of the FA Cup at Elland Road and finishing above them in the League (despite losing to them at Anfield too).

The Lyon game was gutting too. On the back of some terrible form we dug in well, had good chances, mainly through Voronin I think before Babel’s bit of magic. We just couldn’t hold on and went from having our destiny back in our hands to being on the verge of elimination in a spli second.

Ah well, one positive to finish on was that 3-1 United game. Obviously Riise’s goal was the highlight although Owen’s first was a very tidy finish from someone who was at the top of his game. Barthez flapped for our 3rd and we ran out deserving winners.