Author Topic: Liverpool 3 Napoli 1: Demigod Gerrard Papers Over Gaping Cracks  (Read 17627 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool 3 Napoli 1: Demigod Gerrard Papers Over Gaping Cracks
« on: November 5, 2010, 12:39:32 am »
The matchday programme reminded its readers that one year ago to the day, Liverpool drew 1-1 against Lyon. A result that put Liverpool out of the Champions League at the group stage. As I watched today’s game develop, I couldn’t help but think that the image of Lisandro Lopez firing past Pepe Reina to salvage a point for the French outfit at the Stade de Gerland was a more iconic one than we realised at the time.

It was only my second European game of the season and the bizarre Europa League music and orange mat that covered the centre-circle were an abomination to the seasoned eyes and ears. As snobbish as it sounds, you can’t help but feel like the Queen sat in a McDonald’s drive-thru.

I took my seat in the Main Stand. Block MC. Unfamiliar territory. If there had been any trouble in the streets before the game, then it had past me by. I looked longingly over to The Kop and specifically the area of my season ticket seat like a dog banished from his own home. The planned “gathering” had switched to over down towards the Napoli fans and it was too late for me to move.

If this is a competition that few of us are taking seriously – including Hodgson given his team selections – then this meant the world to the travelling Napoli fans. The Anfield Rd End was invaded tonight. Banners, co-ordinated chants and movement. There was a part of many of us that wished that we were in amongst the chaos, I’m sure. Many of their fans were seen dotted around the Main Stand. Most kept their head down.

The Kop’s humour was back to its best and most dry though. An image of Oscar the Grouch was held aloft with “Ciao Napoli” written above it and another held up at the back which read “Usate Aqua E Sapone” which translates to “Use water and soap”.

The ground may have been short of a full house but the off-field sub-plot had the crowd right up for this. Which leads me on to today’s line-ups.

On the back of successive victories against Bolton and Blackburn, Hodgson decided to shuffle his proverbial pack with one eye on the visit of Chelsea this Sunday. Pepe Reina started in goal, Glen Johnson returned at right-back with Kyrgiakos, Carragher and Konchesky making up the rest of the backline. In midfield, Poulsen returned alongside Spearing and in front of them Meireles, Shelvey and Jovanovic supported David N’gog in the lone striker role. A 4-2-3-1 fomation.

For Napoli, De Sanctis in goal, Aronica, Pazienza, Cannavaro, Campagnaro, Dossena, Maggio, Hamsik, Gargano, Cavani, Lavezzi. A 5-3-2/3-4-1-2; very flexible.

The matched ebbed and flowed from the first whistle. A fortnight ago, the under-strength side that went to Naples and came away with a well-fought 0-0 was quite rightly praised. Weekly scapegoat Christian Poulsen was even given MOTM in the Echo. But the onus was never on us in Italy. Today the crowd wanted and expected not only three points, but a performance on top of it.

The midfield duo of Jay Spearing and Christian Poulsen, along with the back two pairing of Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Jamie Carragher set the tone for the rest of the side: pedestrian and wasteful in possession. Prisoner of Wars put in less graft than our lone striker has to. The midfield was only their in spirit for most of the first forty five. It was like a game of table football. You can just picture any our back four spinning wildly before making a lucky connection with the ball that puts it anywhere but the strikers feet. Sitting bang centre in the middle of the Main Stand, it was like Wimbledon. The tennis tournament that is. The ball flying from one end of the pitch to the other. I turned round expecting to see Cliff Richard with a punnet of strawberries and cream.

I know we hark back to it far too often but just how spoiled were we with Xabi Alonso? The metronome. The man that made playing through midfield an art form. If every time he made a connection with the ball was like a painter sweeping his brush across a canvas, Spearing and Poulsen are like two pre-schoolers dipping potatoes in puddles of acrylic, pushing them aimlessly on to pieces of paper. Spearing’s willingness was admirable, but his and Poulsen’s distribution was tragic.

The ‘front four’ on offer from the start actually have potential, but there is little use in them unless they are getting service. It’s like building a flat from the top floor downwards.

If one of the attributes that Poulsen brings to the table is experience, then he clearly hasn’t learned the skill of judging a ball coming down from the air. His attempted header on the half hour mark was like a late tribute to Norman Wisdom. Cavani latched on to his error by sending Lavezzi through with a very cleverly weighted header. The young Argentine ran on to the ball and found the back of the net on what was the birthday of his country’s hero Diego Maradona. An anniversary the travelling supporters were keen to let the rest of us know about.

Liverpool failed to muster a response before the break and we went in 0-1 down. It had been Napoli who had taken the initiative in the first half, so you couldn’t argue with the score.

As fans stretched their legs and relieved their bladders, the decision was made to send out Gerrard on to the pitch to warm up. Undoubtedly, our Huyton-born skipper is a certified Liverpool legend. But the response from the crowd towards him doesn’t sit right with me. Mentioning his name opens a can of worms I know, but one thing I don’t think anybody can deny Benitez did that was for the good of Liverpool FC was try to curve the influence of Steven Gerrard. He was just another player. If he wanted him to play right midfield, he played right midfield. If he didn’t want him to play, he didn’t play. He may well be our most gifted footballer, but I don’t think the Mr Liverpool tag that he has regained is healthy. From every stretch on the sideline to every touch of the ball, the crowd responds like a gang of Japanese schoolgirls. And OK, I might be a miserable bastard, but I just find it incredibly cringeworthy.

The game kicked off for the second half and Gerrard, straight away, did look a cut above, it must be said. Not just from our set of players either. Napoli may have dominated the first half and they do have some class acts in their side like Hamsik, Cavani and Lavezzi, but make no mistake, this was not a good side. They lead at half time through default only.

The atmosphere than the arrival of Gerrard brought died down quickly. He settled into the game well, but the problem remained the same. Gerrard had tucked into the front four. His introduction saw Meireles shifted out to the left and Shelvey on the right. Roy Hodgson was clearly never given that kid’s toy with the blocks when he was growing up. Or if he did he must have spent most of his time trying to shove the star through the triangular hole. Meanwhile, Spearing and Poulsen would struggle to have passed wind in the middle of the park.

The change in the centre of the park finally occurred. Thank Christ. Christian Poulsen was pulled off (snigger) and Nathan Ecclestone came on. He brought an enthusiasm that the side lacked, winning a free-kick that Gerrard sent wide.

Gerrard was now in the centre of the park alongside Spearing, evoking the never-ending and ever-tiresome debate of where his best position is. I’ve made my position on the matter clear in the past. In my mind, a Steven Gerrard without any defensive burden is a Steven Gerrard that can elevate a good side into a great one. With that said, his distribution made a mockery of others in that position. About thirty seconds of having moved into the middle, he spread a ball over to Meireles, the defender failed to deal with the ball and Liverpool created their best chance of the game. First from N’gog and then from Gerrard coming in from deep, ballooning the ball from a position we’ve seen him burst the net from.

People will point to his performance tonight on why he is best from the middle, but he was put there at a time Napoli were showing absolutely no ambition. He had no defensive responsibility, as demonstrated when he chased the ball down from Napoli ‘keeper De Sanctis and challenged the ball into the back of the net. The goal was 90% determination, 10% luck. 1-1.

From there, Napoli began to fold. Liverpool could smell blood. Raul Meireles, coming in from the right, swept the ball to the overlapping Glen Johnson. He made the most of a bad touch and drew a bad challenge from Aronica, who was very lucky to be on the pitch after a dreadful tackle on N’gog. Steven Gerrard stepped up and made no mistake. 2-1. The game had been turned on its head.

Napoli at this point looked out of gas and Lucas – on for N’gog – did brilliantly to win a 50-50 challenge that sent Gerrard on goal. He advance on the keeper and lobbed him with expertise. A 15 minute hat-trick and another psalm in The Book of Gerrard.

A good win but one that really only tells half the story. I know results are what matter in football but I can’t help but think the last three games are veneers masking a very crooked smile.

I don’t know what left the sourest taste looking back. The bloke reading The Guardian a few rows in front of me? The rendition of “You’re Not Singing Anymore” directed towards the Napoli fans? You’ll Never Walk Alone over the tannoy at the end of the game as if this victory meant anything other than three points? No, I think the worst of it was the cheers for Lech Poznan’s victory over Man City. Our standards have shifted. John W Henry was in attendance today with his wife and I just hope he hasn’t been blinded by results. Gareth Bale-mania may well be being overstated by the media, but it’s sad that Tottenham and Manchester City are now the hurdles we must overcome. Because their second string sides show how far we are away.

MOTM? Take a guess.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 07:41:34 pm by Garstonette »

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
Re: Liverpool 3 Napoli 1: Demigod Gerrard Papers Over Gaping Cracks
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2010, 12:46:29 am »
 I enjoyed reading that. Thank You.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2010, 12:51:04 am »
Good post.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2010, 12:51:29 am »
Our standards have been corrupted, but that will change soon, because our new Owners are not looking for mediocrity and Europa League campaigns (as evidenced by the money they have paid for the club, and their history with the Red Sox).  And they have hired a 38 year old, yet experienced, Director of Footballing Strategy, who the more I think about it, probably feels as if he has a point to prove given how he was unceremoniously dropped 2 years ago.  And he does not appear the type to like mediocrity. 

I see what you did there...

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2010, 12:51:49 am »
Great read, cheers for posting.

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2010, 01:00:49 am »
Lovely read. Ta.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2010, 04:12:21 am »
Excellent Read!  :lickin
Special emphasis on:
The Kop’s humour was back to its best and most dry though. An image of Oscar the Grouch was held aloft with “Ciao Napoli” written above it and another held up at the back which read “Usate Aqua E Sapone” which translates to “Use water and soap”.   ;D ;D ;D

Undoubtedly, our Huyton-born skipper is a certified Liverpool legend. But the response from the crowd towards him doesn’t sit right with me. Mentioning his name opens a can of worms I know, but one thing I don’t think anybody can deny Benitez did that was for the good of Liverpool FC was try to curve the influence of Steven Gerrard. He was just another player. If he wanted him to play right midfield, he played right midfield. If he didn’t want him to play, he didn’t play. He may well be our most gifted footballer, but I don’t think the Mr Liverpool tag that he has regained is healthy. From every stretch on the sideline to every touch of the ball, the crowd responds like a gang of Japanese schoolgirls. And OK, I might be a miserable bastard, but I just find it incredibly cringeworthy.
Now that you mention it, it seems that we've started to shift back to the pre Rafa days Gerrard was all we had (or so we believed), and I think maybe he's started to feel the same way.

Meanwhile, Spearing and Poulsen would struggle to have passed wind in the middle of the park.  ;D ;D ;D There are metaphors, and then their are unforgettable metaphors that perfectly illustrate and explain a concept in a unique, HILARIOUS way. Just incase I already hadn't, I tip my hat to you sir

A good win but one that really only tells half the story. I know results are what matter in football but I can’t help but think the last three games are veneers masking a very crooked smile.

ref: last paragraph, Even though we've just won three straight matches, I too get that feeling that it was a case of overcoming an obstacle by climbing up one side andd simply falling over the otherside. I'm overjoyed that we're finally winning, just really concerned that we're just papering over the cracks, which incidently, might just be the most overused metaphor of the last two weeks.

Thanks for a gread read! :wave
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2010, 04:54:10 am »
Great perspective. The result on paper and from the position we were in is brilliant. That being said, the way they threw a win down the toilet like that was a  1/100 occurrence and if we play anything like that against Chelsea or anyone decent we'll have to score 5 just to win it.

Glad to see Glen back even though he looked rusty.

Shitted to tears to see at one point we had 5 centre mids on the pitch and no wide men. FFS it's not that hard to pick a balanced line up, especially when you have players like Pacheco willing and capable of playing there.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2010, 05:03:30 am »
Really good read that, as always!
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Hong Kong Phewy

• Main Stander
  • Athens day out
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2010, 08:25:13 am »
Good read,
I will sum up the game as follows great result, performance crap. We only managed to create anything when Napoli sat back to consolidate their position, Chelsea will not do that. Roy take note!!

royhendo

« Reply #10 on: November 5, 2010, 08:45:41 am »
Brillant stuff as usual. I had the sound down at times - "You're Not Singing Anymore"?

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2010, 10:05:45 am »
Great read and pretty sound summation of where we are right now.

JFT 96
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2010, 10:09:19 am »
Spearing and Poulsen are like two pre-schoolers dipping potatoes in puddles of acrylic, pushing them aimlessly on to pieces of paper. Spearing’s willingness was admirable, but his and Poulsen’s distribution was tragic.

I hate to pick up on this because it was such a wonderful night - in the end. But I don't remember seeing a worse central midfield turn out for the Reds (ok, maybe the one that Kenny played at Highbury one year when he had Burrows and Venison in the middle of the park). There's no point talking about Poulsen. We all know he's no good. But there's a theory around Liverpool that Jay Spearing is a decent player and one day will emerge out of his long apprenticeship and become a master craftsman in midfield for us.

Well that's not going to happen. Maybe he's good for the ressies. Maybe he's a dervish in training. But last night was an awesome demonstration of why he will never be anything but second best when it comes to playing for the first team in a competitive fixture. He was awful. Yes, there was one excellent slide tackle. There was also a superb and energetic tracking back to bail out Carragher in the second half. But what else? Not his passing that's for sure. I'd love to see his stats because it seemed to me that you could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times he found a teammate with the ball. No amount of eager-beaver scurrying around can compensate for such profligate midfield play like that.

There's something else about Spearing, which I'm sure many have noticed. He's a world champion when it comes to pointing. Check him out if you've not noticed it. His arm is almost perpetually telling his teammates where to put the ball. I don't mind that - to a point - from a master. Traore's Liverpool career was given an extra - and extraordinary - 12 months because Alonso was literally telling him where to put his next pass. But from a fella who never knows what to do with the ball when he has it himself it's a bloody irritation. Thankfully his colleagues tend to ignore his obvious - even telegraphic - instructions. I want someone to shout in his ear "DON'T POINT. MOVE INTO POSITION YOURSELF IF YOU WANT THE BALL". Of course he never does. For all his eager-beavering he does not really want the ball. Occasionally he'll put both (!) arms in the air and call for a pass. But when this happens he tends to be standing about 20 yards from the man in possession with 3 or 4 opponents in between them. I used to call for the ball in similar situations myself but I think I was about 12 at the time. Later I grew up.

The capping irony is that when Spearing gets it in a bit of space he hasn't a clue what to do. Hence his third annoying gesture - both arms out wide, palms facing towards heaven. It's meant to say 'no one is offering himself for a pass'. What it really means is 'I haven't an effing clue what to do'.

Many years ago when I first became a Pool fan there was a youngish reserve team midfield-player called John McLaughlin. People expected him to keep breaking into the first team. He was 'promising'. After 5 years or so hanging round the periphery, occasionally getting a game, he was moved on. Sorry Jay, I think - and hope - that will be your story.

John Jo's good though.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Dick Winters

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: November 5, 2010, 10:24:41 am »

I know we hark back to it far too often but just how spoiled were we with Xabi Alonso? The metronome. The man that made playing through midfield an art form. If every time he made a connection with the ball was like a painter sweeping his brush across a canvas,

...the decision was made to send out Gerrard on to the pitch to warm up. Undoubtedly, our Huyton-born skipper is a certified Liverpool legend. .

..Roy Hodgson was clearly never given that kid’s toy with the blocks when he was growing up. Or if he did he must have spent most of his time trying to shove the star through the triangular hole. 

The rendition of “You’re Not Singing Anymore” directed towards the Napoli fans?

Excellent summary of the game.  I fully agree on Alonso but must also say we really miss Mascherano too.  You realise how much ground he covered; how many tackles he put in and his ferocious stamina when you contrast him him with the pedestrian jogging of Poulson.  Too many attacks were played through the middle of the park and Lavezzi had the run of the show there.

On Stevie.  Another excellent game and thank God he is ours but again agree on the tactical point.  It was like a youth game when you have a scout on the line to see your star player.  manager tells the star - just go out there and run about and cause havoc and show him how good you are.  For a while at the start of the 2nd half I was not actually sure who was on our left flank; there didn't seem to be a shape or plan.

Yes, that was rather distasteful but in the circumstances particularly how the Napoli fans behaved outside, etc. I would forgive that.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2010, 10:35:36 am »
Great post Garstonite and great post yorky, you've said what i wanted to but could not put into words about Spearing. The difference between Meireles, Lucas and Spearing, Poulsen is a huge gulf. Just the the latter two have the support of fans (scouser) and the manager (stepson, godson, long-lost son)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2010, 10:39:19 am »
Exactly that. Exactly that. it's incredibly frustrating that Hodgson persists with his weakest CMs in the middle and his best available CMs out wide. I also felt as the game wore on the midfield became scattered and disorganised with players going where they pleased, or where they saw gaps. Not total football, but a total mess.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline wooly back red

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2010, 10:40:48 am »
Good read and I loved the Norman Wisdom reference, spot on !

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2010, 10:50:04 am »
Excellent read, Garstonette. Thank you.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2010, 10:56:55 am »
A great post and a good read.

I would take issue with a couple of points maybe.  First, the comments about Gerrard.  I know there are lots of views about him and I do not want to open what you describe as a can of worms, but it can't be denied that, more than once, he has managed to turn a game on its head and drag us to a win.

Last night was just one more example of how his presence on the pitch can lead us from what looks like certain defeat to a respectable win.

I don't give a damn what position he plays in, at the end of the day all that matters is the result when the final whistle goes, and last night Gerrard scored 3 much needed goals for us in the space of 15minutes - what other player do we have iin the squad who could do that?

You equate the reaction of the crowd to that of a bunch of giggling Japanese schoolgirls.  Well I dont know how many Japanese schoolgirls have spent the last few months writing e mails to financial institutions and then seeing their much loved team wallowing in the relegation zone, but I would guess not many.

There is a desperation about the club at the moment.  The fans are looking to a return to the days when we could actually go and outplay the opposition, but there are too many question marks hovering over players, manager, tactics etc for any of us to feel reassured at the moment.

The new owners have bought the hint of a bright new dawn, but there is a long way to go before that dream comes to fruition, and in the mean time we have to deal with a poor squad, with a few stars thrown in here and there.  Gerrard is one of those.

More importantly, last night he was probably the only possible substitute that had the quality and drive to get a result. 

When we improve the numbers of good quality players we have, when we get a few more players who are willing to push forward from the minute they come on the pitch, and when we get some more players who are willing to stand up, take responsibility, and raise the tempo and intensity of the game then we wont have to rely on Gerrard to do it all.

Until then he will keep the Mr. Liverpool tag, and rightly so.

And so we go on to the 'You're Not Singing Anymore'.  I don't know why we get so precious about this.  We had been outplayed and outsung for most of the match, and the game had then been turned on its head.  Their supporters had gone silent and we rubbed their noses in it a bit.

Don't see anything wrong in that to be honest.  It might not be the best of songs, it might not be classy, but last night I think it felt right and did no harm.

As you rightly say, the game last night has (once again) shown how far short of decent players the squad is, and after watching the game last night I  think Damien Camolli  will know just how big a task he has on his hands.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 11:01:15 am by montysmum »
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline vitri

• Pool Baron (on away goals). Shit scared of Enemy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pro-Rafa. Hates it when people say "EPL"
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2010, 11:08:44 am »
Good OP.

...There's something else about Spearing, which I'm sure many have noticed. He's a world champion when it comes to pointing. Check him out if you've not noticed it. His arm is almost perpetually telling his teammates where to put the ball. .... I want someone to shout in his ear "DON'T POINT. MOVE INTO POSITION YOURSELF IF YOU WANT THE BALL". Of course he never does. For all his eager-beavering he does not really want the ball. Occasionally he'll put both (!) arms in the air and call for a pass. But when this happens he tends to be standing about 20 yards from the man in possession with 3 or 4 opponents in between them. I used to call for the ball in similar situations myself but I think I was about 12 at the time. Later I grew up.

This I find interesting. Hadn't noticed, but if it's true I think it might be symptom of the way I see him in terms of attitude. He's been a "nearly" for us for a while now and despite still being young he's no newbie. Being a local lad too I think might further his view that maybe he's becoming a fixture in the dressing room. Don't misunderstand me - confidence is a good thing - but I think it has to be backed up with performance. Don't think that I'm singling out the ambitious youngsters here either. There should be no player who has the right to be at the squad unless they are pulling their weight.

Considering this is quite a negative post I'd add that it's nothing that couldn't be sorted out with a little more application. If Jay can show us he's worthy of the shirt whenever he gets his chances during the rest of this season then that will go a long way to placating us doubters.
Everything has an end, only the sausage has two

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2010, 11:11:31 am »
hilarious people, we win 3-1 in a european game and people still have a moan. fuck me.

decent post btw garston. its the replies what bothered me more.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2010, 11:21:48 am »
There is a desperation about the club at the moment.  The fans are looking to a return to the days when we could actually go and outplay the opposition, but there are too many question marks hovering over players, manager, tactics etc for any of us to feel reassured at the moment.

The new owners have bought the hint of a bright new dawn, but there is a long way to go before that dream comes to fruition, and in the mean time we have to deal with a poor squad, with a few stars thrown in here and there.  Gerrard is one of those.

More importantly, last night he was probably the only possible substitute that had the quality and drive to get a result. 

Until then he will keep the Mr. Liverpool tag, and rightly so.
Wonderfully sums up our situation, montysmum.

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2010, 11:23:22 am »
Good OP but I do not understand why do these OP in RAWK have to be some generous with words when the point the post is making is a fairly simple and obvious one.

Anyway , a lot I agree with and some I disagree with , namely.

If this is a competition that few of us are taking seriously – including Hodgson given his team selections – then this meant the world to the travelling Napoli fans. The Anfield Rd End was invaded tonight. Banners, co-ordinated chants and movement. There was a part of many of us that wished that we were in amongst the chaos, I’m sure. Many of their fans were seen dotted around the Main Stand. Most kept their head down.

Actually , I think it is much better competition to win than the joke of a Carling cup. Second most important Euro competition with quite some quality , especially at the latter stages. I for one would rather win it and maintain our points in the UEFA coeffs.

Finishing 7th or 8th in the league means fuck all , I'd rather take 10th with the Europa and FA and also automatic qualification for next season's Euro league.

Let's face it ,we ain't finishing anywhere near the top 4 this season , realistically speaking.
GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2010, 11:24:02 am »
Another fantastic piece mate, as usual dark, spot on and with great bits of humour especially the bits quoted

It was like a game of table football. You can just picture any our back four spinning wildly before making a lucky connection with the ball that puts it anywhere but the strikers feet.

I know we hark back to it far too often but just how spoiled were we with Xabi Alonso? The metronome. The man that made playing through midfield an art form. If every time he made a connection with the ball was like a painter sweeping his brush across a canvas, Spearing and Poulsen are like two pre-schoolers dipping potatoes in puddles of acrylic, pushing them aimlessly on to pieces of paper. Spearing’s willingness was admirable, but his and Poulsen’s distribution was tragic.

It’s like building a flat from the top floor downwards.

Roy Hodgson was clearly never given that kid’s toy with the blocks when he was growing up. Or if he did he must have spent most of his time trying to shove the star through the triangular hole. Meanwhile, Spearing and Poulsen would struggle to have passed wind in the middle of the park.

:lmao

Offline kaptainkop

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: November 5, 2010, 11:35:51 am »
Don;t post often.

I knew we were in for a dour night when I saw Poulsen in the side alongside Spearing (I'm not gonna slaughter the lad because he tried his fucking best and was a million times better than that usueless Dane).

The thing that really got me though and showed how far we have sunk was Hodgson's pre game talk. Going on about defending well then trying to look for the win..WTF???. We ARE Liverpool FC. Fuck that negative, small club mentality you twat. The sooner the geriatric lily livered gerbil goes the better.

Our best players are the more attack minded ones (Pepe and Carra apart) so play to your strengths. Send the players out with a positive attitude and let them run riot.

If Hodgson thinks tactically against Chelsea as he did against that AVERAGE Napoli side then we are in for a real bumming on Sunday.

Do one Hodgson

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 5, 2010, 11:40:30 am »
hilarious people, we win 3-1 in a european game and people still have a moan. fuck me.

decent post btw garston. its the replies what bothered me more.

without Gerrards heroics it wuda been one of worst european performances ever. its not a moan - its being realistic imo

Offline vitri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 5, 2010, 11:43:47 am »
If Hodgson thinks tactically against Chelsea as he did against that AVERAGE Napoli side then we are in for a real bumming on Sunday.

Do one Roy

I wouldn't say Napoli are average. There was some quality in their team last night, and remember they are 5th in Serie A.

Also, what if Hodgson doesn't think the same, tactically, against Chelsea? With some first-teamers to come back on Sunday we could well be a different prospect. I'm not saying we're going to thrash them but it doesn't hurt to be positive before the game. If we are turned over by all means be critical after the event, but to be fair to Roy (who I'll admit I'm not a fan of) at least wait and see what kind of team he puts out.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #27 on: November 5, 2010, 11:54:58 am »
great OP - well in mate - can I also say, I though Ecclestone came onto the game really well and showed a lot of hunger, I was quite impressed with the late when he came on!!

PS: I wonder why I have a "no new LFC topics" title  :-\
« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 11:58:39 am by PhilV »

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #28 on: November 5, 2010, 11:59:54 am »
I wouldn't say Napoli are average. There was some quality in their team last night, and remember they are 5th in Serie A.

Also, what if Hodgson doesn't think the same, tactically, against Chelsea? With some first-teamers to come back on Sunday we could well be a different prospect. I'm not saying we're going to thrash them but it doesn't hurt to be positive before the game. If we are turned over by all means be critical after the event, but to be fair to Roy (who I'll admit I'm not a fan of) at least wait and see what kind of team he puts out.

The point being made is that the tactics are crucial no matter what kind of a team he puts out.

It doesn't hurt to be positive. Quite correct. The question is - Will Roy be positive?  How will we be set up.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 5, 2010, 12:04:04 pm »
If one of the attributes that Poulsen brings to the table is experience, then he clearly hasn’t learned the skill of judging a ball coming down from the air. His attempted header on the half hour mark was like a late tribute to Norman Wisdom.

:lmao
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline vitri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »
The point being made is that the tactics are crucial no matter what kind of a team he puts out.

It doesn't hurt to be positive. Quite correct. The question is - Will Roy be positive?  How will we be set up.

Quite right about tactics. This for me is a major concern under Roy. And generally among some pundits and part of our own fanbase, with all the evidence of this season countering the whole "it doesn't matter who you have in charge, this side is good enough to win" (see Northampton).

On the other hand while Roy isn't the man for long-term, I'd wager he isn't going to be leaving in the near future. And on the back of three straight wins it would be churlish not to at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

Before anyone calls me out on this point, I realise last night was the Gerrard show, the Bolton game was a close run late smash and grab and Blackburn offered no real opposition at all (but still scored). But a win is a win, and three consecutive wins is actually a run of form.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2010, 12:07:05 pm »
Marek Hamsik is so fucking overrated. Also thought Jay was very godo and putting him in the same bracket as Poulsen is totally misguided. Otherwise very enjoyable.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »
Good OP but I do not understand why do these OP in RAWK have to be some generous with words when the point the post is making is a fairly simple and obvious one.

Doers my head in that as well, Why all those match reports in the papers when all you need is the fucking score? I've fucked off going the match, can't be arsed paying for me seasie when you can just watch the goals on you tube, saves time and money and don't get me started on them fucking books. Me bird dragged us to see a play the other night, waiting for Godot, totally shit, said to her, 'Knew that fucker wouldn't turn up because there's no one down in the programme playing the fucker'. Waste of my time and every other fuckers time. Why can't people just get to the point. Lpool where shit but gerrard rescued them and there was a load of napoli in the ground, it's easy ive just summed it up without even trying. I dont like birds writing about footy but a bit of advise Garstonette, listen love, footy's not like one of them  soap operas on the telly, we're not arsed what the crowd are wearing and who's singing what, just stick to the match and get to the point.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 12:22:03 pm by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline vitri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »
Me bird dragged us to see a play the other night, waiting for Godot, totally shit, said to her, 'Knew that fucker wouldn't turn up because there's no one down in the programme playing the fucker, waste of my time and every other fuckers time.
;D

Offline thekop0071

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2010, 12:15:34 pm »
I really enjoyed reading your post !
Fantastic !
So called Journo's could do well to learn -how to report and write after - reading your post!
and I totally agree GAPING CRACKS IN DEED!!!!!!

YNWA

JFT96
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager." - Rafa Benitez 3 June 2010

They ripped my heart  from my chest TWICE.
Firstly when the drove a knife into the back of Rafa and when they de throned the king both men who I would glady follow to the ends of the earth ! YNWA

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2010, 12:18:49 pm »

Genius and at the same time tragic beyond belief  :no

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 5, 2010, 12:27:29 pm »
On second thoughts I disagree massively with the premise of the piece. Gerrard is not papering over the cracks. That implies that he's tryign to obscure the reality from everyone.

Everyone in their right mind knows how bad a team we are (in comparison to what we were two season ago, especially) and there's absolutely no denying it. And there's no point in us denying it. The team is flawed and has lowered its standards due to mismanagement and abuse from multiple parties. But Henry hasn't what he thought was a mansion on to discover its got dry rot and termites, he's bought a fixer-upper and though the current super is a bit of a doddering old fool, he's kept the place from completely falling down in the mean time.

There's a distinct stench of negativity and delusion around parts of RAWK that wins can't just be taken on face value, they have to got from "bossing the game" in a complete and utter display of tactical dominance organised by chess deity Rafa. The reality is yes, we controlled the tempo under Rafa nearly always, but many times we lacked fluidity and cohesion and drive just like we do under Hodgo. I don't want to get into another debate over the two managers - we know which one is better but my point is that the premise of the post is flawed (though its still a good read!)

2009/2010 was a failed attempt to paper over the cracks. 2010/2011 is something else compeltely different altogether.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2010, 12:29:03 pm by lamonti »

Offline rajeshadani

• Main Stander
  • This has nothing to do with Texas.
« Reply #37 on: November 5, 2010, 01:37:00 pm »
All three goals were coz of napoli's defensive errors. For all the heroics of stevie not one of three were crafted by us. And that is obviously a bit of a worry.
"How can I leave after a night like this...!!"

Offline Fernando-Towers

• Anny Roader
    • The Out of Towner
« Reply #38 on: November 5, 2010, 01:50:30 pm »
A good read and some good posts below the fold, if you will.

The Spearing question is settled for me and has been for some time. For all his heart, he just doesn't appear to have what it takes to play at the highest levels. He can play the occasional very good pass, e.g. one he played over to Jovanovic in the first half, but most of his passes are predictable and result in nothing more than a recylcing of play. I see no evidence that he will mature into a central midfielder of real class, and he is neither quick enough nor strong enough to start in the 'Mascherano' role for a top side.

Like many above, I won't go into the Poulsen question save to say that I've never before seen a player regularly enter tackles 'rump first'. Extremely odd tackling technique!

It was no surprise that we had no creativity up until half time. And in fact, for the opening period of the second half I felt we didn't do much better. We were a  little more threatening with Gerrard involved, but Roy playing 5 central midfielders meant we had two central chaps on either wing. Shelvey largely struggled out on the left until Eccleston (who I thought was good) came on, and while Raul played ok on the right, our best spells came when Raul / Gerrard / Lucas and Johnson came together. Playing a different game to the rest at times those 4 were.

I would also note (not to start another tiresome Lucas debate), but he is head and shoulders above both Poulsen and Spearing and it showed immediately when he came on. I've ceased to think of him as a squad player and for me he should have that role until the end of the season at least. If Roy sells him for 5m in the January window may a curse be laid upon his house!
"White liquid - milk. You know who to blame!".

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 5, 2010, 01:54:26 pm »
without Gerrards heroics it wuda been one of worst european performances ever. its not a moan - its being realistic imo

oh right, and without dudek we woul,d have lost the cl vs milan, without ciises goal and gerrard we wouldnt have won the fa cup and without maxi we would have drew with bolton.

he plays for us, he scored a hatrick, we won 3-1, end of.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.