Author Topic: At an old temple in the depths of Takano ...  (Read 7097 times)

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
At an old temple in the depths of Takano ...
« on: September 1, 2006, 10:58:16 pm »
At an old temple in the depths of Takano,
In the province of Ki,
I spend the night listening
To raindrops through the cedars

[by "ryokan"]

now I know what you're thinking, what the blue blazes has this got to do with LFC, it's Friday night, Partridge has been on the pop again...well I haven't, at least not since lunchtime...I am merely sitting here with a cup of tea, and enjoying it, in the same way as our friend the monk was enjoying listening to the raindrops through the cedars...yes, this post is about enjoying the present...

over the last few days I've seen various threads and posts questioning the state of the squad, winkling out the scapegoats for the next few months, picking apart the games of great players suffice to make them sound like problems to be solved, questioning the decisions of a manager who is clearly one of the very best in the global game, looking forward not to the Derby but beyond to Chelsea and beyond that to the next transfer window where all the usual hopes will be raised and satiated and dashed all over again...

were these posters to spend the night in the old temple in the depths of Takano I suspect they would not be listening to the raindrops through the cedars...they would be horrified at the state of the temple, and would be demanding that the Temple Board do something about it...the neighbouring province have a spanking new temple and so should the good people of Ki...and if the Temple Board weren't going to do something about it then they should look to outside investment...

templeorarily relaxed at the thought of the prospect, they may be able to hear the rain through the cedars...well that's not on is it...cedars are all well and good but other provinces have got better arboles, and if we want to progress then we should really be looking to bring in some of those fancy cherry trees with all that pretty blossom in the spring...

well never mind all that now...lets try to appreciate the sound of the raindrops through the cedars eh ?

as I wrote elsewhere and I reckon its worth repeating, we have the strongest, most well-balanced squad I can ever remember at the club, at least as strong and well-balanced as our major rivals if not more so...yes we may have had stronger first elevens, but never this strength in depth...our oft-criticised Board have provided the funds for this squad of players, I suspect breaking their budget for Kuyt judging by Rafa's public gratitude for their backing...barring a catastrophic injury crisis, we have good enough players in terms of their footballing abilities AND we have enough of them...

good enough for what ? you know what...we're all thinking about it aren't we...

there are imponderables of course...many of these players have proven they can do it on the biggest stage in a one-off game...but can they do it over the course of a season ?

have they got the team spirit and mental toughness over 9 long months of football ? do they BELIEVE they can win it ? will they turn this belief into results ? have they got the collective nerve to either lead from the front and hold it or come from behind to snatch it in May ?

it's not about whether our so-and-so got 76% for  passing last season but someone else's so-and-so got 81% so we should get him...it's about pressure now...doing it game-in game-out...taking each game as it comes...

and so it is for the fans...this could be a huge season to be a Liverpool fan...to go to the game every week, home and away, or just home, or just at home watching on telly...can YOU handle it ?

our club possesses some of the finest players in World football never mind English football...are YOU capable of enjoying watching them play for us week-in week-out, showing us all their impressive array of destructive and creative talents, without worrying about the Chelsea game 3 months away, or if so-and-so was out of position for 3 milliseconds, or why those proverbial blue blazes again the manager has played HIM of all people ?

are YOU capable of enjoying all this talent, watching some of the quality football being served up for you, while at the same time knowing that every dropped point could be crucial later on, knowing that the assertion that every game is a must win game is to all 'in tents and porpoises' true ?

are YOU capable of enjoying the ride, even the bits that require a mental note to buy some fresh underwear when West Ham take the lead at Anfield with an intentional rocket shot from Bobby thinks we're all daft Zamora, before we storm back to score 2 before surviving a tricky moment or two ?

1990 seems a long time ago now because it is...thinking it unlikely that whoever it was would win 626-0 at Anfield in the last game of the season, I, like everyone around me, celebrated that title at Highbury in a midweek draw against the thus dethroned Champions...it was extra special 12 months on from the Michael Thomas Disaster...Alan Bleasdale (well-known Liverpool playwright and Red) was up on some balcony sticking out of an executive box high above the Reds in the Clock End...we made clenched fist gestures to each other, or I like to think so...it capped a decade of regular matchgoing for me during which I expected to win the league every season, and on reflection I almost certainly didn't fully appreciate the magnificence of what I was watching year-in year-out...how could I ? it was virtually all I had ever known...I thought it was the rules...how could I know that after 1990 it was all about to stop ?

now we're back in the old temple in the depths of Takano, in the province of Ki, it's night and the raindrops are falling through the cedars...it will be a long night, and it may or may not bring sunshine in the morning, but this time I'll try to enjoy listening anyway...I hope you will join me...

© a partridge in seat_5c 2006
« Last Edit: September 2, 2006, 08:20:47 am by Rushian »

Offline ThingOnASpring

• Legacy Fan
  • Young man! There's no need to feel down.
Re: At an old temple in the depths of Takano...
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2006, 11:15:59 pm »
At this point in a Stella quest, I can think of nothing more to say than...  :wellin
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2006, 11:25:26 pm »
The night has been long and dark and cold,

But....

Morning in the bowl of night,
Has cast the stone that sets the stars to flight.
And Lo! The hunter of the East has caught
The Sultan's turret in a noose of light.

Or...

Rafa in the bowl of night,
Has cast the strategy that sets the Mancs to flight
And Lo! Thehunter of the East has caught
Jose's neck within a noose of light.

Believe.

You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2006, 11:29:28 pm »
Fantastic, Seat.

I am trying to keep a lid on my optimism (and, in footy terms, I'm not renowned for my optimism...);  but, as you say, beyond doubt we currently have the most talented squad since 1986.

The most talented, yet committed in the Premiership in my opinion.

To get back to my status quo...   can we blend quickly enough?  Can we decide the starting line up to get 3 points at Bolton in September?  Home to Villa in October?  Away to Bordeaux? 

That is my only concern.

We definitely have the players, the support, and the manager.  To win not only No.19,  but also the European Cup again.  I am convinced.  I just hope we can get the blend right away.

Incidentally, of all the signings of the past 2 years who will feature regularly (Crouch, Momo, Fowler;  Pennant, Gonzales, Bellamy, Kuyt, Agger),  who will be the impact player(s) to make us say in May...  he was the difference, the one who won it for us?  Whats your guess?  Impressed as I am by Agger especially...  and theres one for the next 10 years..  I have a sneaky feeling that Pennant will be the BIG player as this season unfolds.

Great post.

Offline mkdRED

• Main Stander
  • King of Europe!
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2006, 01:10:10 am »
I enjoy my football. I am enjoying it like a  monk who is enjoying a lotus flower unfold.

This club is blossoming. It does not matter if we succeed goal. Two. Or tree.

We have possibilities for scoring two. Or tree. Or four. For sure.

We have Shao-lin master on helm.

I back it up wit 1-10 odds for may in country from where I am.

I am pissed up. And I just installed my Sony motherfucker 19 inch lcd monitor, so bring it up!

:wave  ;D  ;)

Offline MR

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: September 2, 2006, 06:59:08 am »
Seat, what a fantastic post.

Seeing some of the replies, I add that it's worth holding in mind that enjoying the rainfall through cedars means *not* worrying about 19, just playing each game as it comes. 19 will arrive or it will not arrive. Thinking about it will make it less likely to arrive.

Another story has a novice monk ask the master; 'how long will it take me to reach enlightenment?' Answer: 'about seven years'. "but what if I try really hard and meditate twice as long each day?" Answer: 'about fourteen years".

Maybe we all want it too much. Maybe Houllier did too.

As you said, let's just enjoy a great squad, a great manager and some great games. And for those of us that can make it; sing for the joy of being lfc, not to win, but to be part of it all

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Re: At an old temple in the depths of Takano ...
« Reply #6 on: September 2, 2006, 09:32:54 am »
Brilliant post, of course it momentarily distracted me from quietly contemplating the indvisible oneness of all but it was worth it. Sometimes you need a reminder to live in the moment and enjoy it. Especially when other people are being paid vast sums to do the worrying for you.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 2, 2006, 09:50:52 am »
Is a vacuum the ultimate one-ness or the the ultimate in un-one-ness ?

Is there anything to contemplate during an international break ?

Somebody switch RAWK off till next Friday.

Quality post though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 2, 2006, 09:58:44 am »
I am trying to keep a lid on my optimism

To get back to my status quo...   can we blend quickly enough?  Can we decide the starting line up to get 3 points at Bolton in September?  Home to Villa in October?

Incidentally, of all the signings of the past 2 years who will feature regularly (Crouch, Momo, Fowler;  Pennant, Gonzales, Bellamy, Kuyt, Agger),  who will be the impact player(s) to make us say in May...  he was the difference, the one who won it for us?  Whats your guess?  Impressed as I am by Agger especially...  and theres one for the next 10 years..  I have a sneaky feeling that Pennant will be the BIG player as this season unfolds.

Cowtown,

funny you should mention trying to keep a lid on your optimism, I should imagine that resonates throughout our support...I expect Anfield to be a bag of nerves this season...I think people are well aware that we can bloody well do this, but after the gap years they don't want to get their hopes up too much only for them to be cruelly dashed again...

we almost seem to be so used to hiding behind a string of excuses (not enough money, missing the last piece in the jigsaw, you don't win anything with 4-5-1, the grass was too long at Carrow Road etc) that we've forgotten how to actually think "hey up, we've got a chance here" and be bold enough to come out and say it...I said it yesterday at work, a little tentatively as its a long time since I've had this level of hope and trust in our club...but I said it...

as much as the players seem to have forgotten how to win a title, so do the fans ? difficult to explain what I mean by that as fans don't win titles of course...or do they ? could Anfield packed to the rafters with fans who temporarily put aside their fears and concerns and just bawl their support for the team for 19 lots of 90 minutes make a difference ?

I understand your status quo concerns, but from having deep-seated and fundamental concerns such as the manager and players are virtually all shite, we have now reached a point where we seem to be scrabbling in the dirt to find some subtle piece of evidence as to why we can't win it...the blend may not be right, you suggest...others worry about the rotation policy...personally my subtle worries involve ideas like the players believing that they can win it cos the media say so, which might cause overconfidence, and I'd almost prefer us to be written off...another such notion would be that I feel that of all the contenders the neutral supporter would probably like us (or possibly Arsenal) to win it, maybe we're still a bit too nice and we could do with some sort of mini-disaster or something to make us pull together in a no-one likes us we don't care sort of way...Ferguson, Wenger and latterly Mourinho have all tried desperately it seems to me to go out of their way to make their club out to be hard done by and that they only succeed against all the odds...against a backdrop of hundreds of millions of pounds at Never had it so good FC, Mourinho has actually done this in masterly fashion to be fair to him...is Rafa a horrible enough bastard to win us the league ? can the nice guy win any more ?

but "MR" has absorbed the message...forget it all now...enjoy the talent put in front of you while you can (we could be back to Mike Marsh and Paul Stewart in 10 years time), enjoy the ride whatever its outcome...being a football fan was never about bitching over formations and tactics, it was about watching committed talented players playing for your club and singing your head off for them while they did...we should never lose sight of that...the Kop may not be around for that much longer...God knows when I was a lad I never ever thought I would see seats on it...enjoy it while we still have it, before we end up in the Alpha Centauri Spacedome or whatever...

to answer your last question, who will be the player that come May, hopefully one May even if not the next, will be the one that made the difference, I can't answer that because I look at the list and think all of them can be, and that I suppose is where all this nervous confidence across the spectrum of Red support is stemming from...it's a fine squad, it's time to appreciate that, hush those voices in our heads, get behind them all and roar them onto success...

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 2, 2006, 10:08:25 am »
Top post, Seat.

(Needless dig at stats, mind  ;)  )

I think people need to look at how far we've come in the past two years. Two years ago we'd have jumped at the chance of winning the European Cup and the FA Cup and reaching 82 points in the league. We're moving forwards, but the higher you climb the more each little disappointment hurts.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 2, 2006, 10:30:57 am »
Seat: this is a great post. The call to 'Be Here, Now' applies to many aspects of life, and is very relevant to enjoying and valuing this coming season.

I don't believe the buoyant optimsim many of us feel is incompatible with 'listening to the raindrops through the cedars'.

Both can work in tandem, one supporting the other.

I never really valued the orgy of success this club, and we, previously enjoyed. A child of 1960, my team was, had always been while I was aware, the best. It seemed our right to win.

Our return to the pinnacle of the domestic game will be all the more cherished for the 17 years away.

Whether it will be 17 years, or 18, or more, before its won, matters little really. i think what we all know is that with Mr Benitez, it will come.

Your post is a terrific reminder that we need to enjoy the challenge for it, and maybe the winning of it, game by game.

Offline Kanonkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 2, 2006, 10:33:02 am »
Great post.

We are on a journey called the 2006/07 season with 3 major prizes as our final destination.  We may get there or we may not, but the journey itself will provide many moments of excitement (and dissapointments) along the way so it is important to live for the now and enjoy the victories along the way and not just focus on the ultimate goal.

The person who takes satisfaction from the little things along the way will also be able to enjoy the ultimate victory.  The person who only takes satisfaction in the ultimate victory is poorer for that by having missed out on the little things along the way.

"The point of a journey
Is not to arrive
Anything can happen..."

Confucius say, "Man who walk through door sideways going to Bangkok"

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #12 on: September 2, 2006, 10:44:24 am »

and so it is for the fans...this could be a huge season to be a Liverpool fan...to go to the game every week, home and away, or just home, or just at home watching on telly...can YOU handle it ?

our club possesses some of the finest players in World football never mind English football...are YOU capable of enjoying watching them play for us week-in week-out, showing us all their impressive array of destructive and creative talents, without worrying about the Chelsea game 3 months away, or if so-and-so was out of position for 3 milliseconds, or why those proverbial blue blazes again the manager has played HIM of all people ?

are YOU capable of enjoying all this talent, watching some of the quality football being served up for you, while at the same time knowing that every dropped point could be crucial later on, knowing that the assertion that every game is a must win game is to all 'in tents and porpoises' true ?

are YOU capable of enjoying the ride, even the bits that require a mental note to buy some fresh underwear when West Ham take the lead at Anfield with an intentional rocket shot from Bobby thinks we're all daft Zamora, before we storm back to score 2 before surviving a tricky moment or two ?

An absolute cracker of a post, Mr Seat.
On an unrelated note I am about to embark on a day's sofa-testing and buying (see what I did there?), but before I am dragged off I wanted to say- it's great to read an article which takes so fresh an approach, when you keep reading past paragraph one because you can't predict the next 38.
I said a while back that this season may well introduce many to a new mindset, a whole new emotional experience watching the team; even older reds haven't felt it for a while. The feeling of genuine expectation of real success in the league, of being up there with the true challengers, means everything becomes heightened. Every result may now mean a crucial step up or back, and those of our opponents likewise. There are going to be lots of squeaky arses round Anfield- and on armchairs in front of Sky- this season.
Because now, at long last, it might actually matter in terms of winning something real, not a CL consolation trinket.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 2, 2006, 10:45:32 am »
Ta Kanon Kop

whoah

spooky
 :o

is that an omen ?

;)

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #14 on: September 2, 2006, 11:09:04 am »
Great post, Sean.

Its an unusual feeling coming into this season thinking that it really is all possible for us without having to put on my optimisitc hat, yes you can nit-pick at a few areas of the squad but you could do that for anyone, even the likes of Chelsea a few hundred million down the line.

Looking forward to every minute of the season ahead.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 2, 2006, 01:16:38 pm »
That was brilliant- I think a post like that was needed actually.

I instantly thought of a few posters when reading through that... I wonder if they read this (must read) post.

I thank you sir  :wave
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Skipper Gerrard

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: September 2, 2006, 07:37:07 pm »
Brilliant!

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #17 on: September 2, 2006, 08:16:58 pm »
Seat.

Absolutely brilliant piece of writing and sums up perfectly how I feel.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 2, 2006, 11:55:44 pm »
Top-class read, Mr Seat.

Wonderful stuff.

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #19 on: September 3, 2006, 12:00:39 am »
Inspiring read that.

I hope that I am capable of all of this, although as stated earlier by Paul, the better we do, the harder it is to take disappointments. Still the Benfica knockout last year wasn't half as demoralising as I'd have thought. I'm not old enough to remember us having been European champions before and the disappointment of surrendering our trophy was mingled with an unpredented pride for me that we had it to concede in the first place. Maybe that's what you mean by 'listening to the raindrops through the cedars'..

It's important to remember that we also have challenges as fans. And that our success at overcoming these is somehow deeply related to the success of the club.. and there is an important role we as fans can play in that.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2006, 12:02:59 am by King Momo »

Offline daigu

• Boys Pen
« Reply #20 on: September 3, 2006, 09:29:52 am »
Great post,

Always nice to hear a little Ryokan, strange to find it here, but I feel you've caught what he wrote wonderfully. 

It's easy to criticise and join in when people start to criticise, but I agree it's much more fun to enjoy the moment. 

Especially when you support this football club, with Liverpool you never quite know what to expect, but no other teams fan could ever appreciate what it means to be red.  Going behind in a big final really hurts, but nothing compares to seeing your team fight back from the brink, not the way our boys do.

Long may those wonderful Liverpool moments continue. Here's to a great season!

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #21 on: September 5, 2006, 12:02:11 pm »
Well put seat, I also try to enjoy every moment with the club, players, manager, fans and even the opponents.

Hard to feel relaxed with the next 3 games coming up though, and these anxieties are the experiences that will remain with us forever.
Doubters to Believers

Offline AngelNeo

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: September 6, 2006, 07:05:50 am »
One of the best posts in a long while. Read it again today and enjoyed it very much.

Thank you !

Offline MR

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 01:05:30 pm »
*BUMP*

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 09:50:58 pm »
Quick bump.

I'm 28 so have never seen us win the league or been properly involved. Only started going to more than a handful of games a season in the late 90's. I was gutted on Saturday, but I didn't perform either.

What a great position and moment we are in.

royhendo

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 11:00:25 pm »
that's class - cheers for the bump cos it's before my time on RAWK - enjoyed it

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 08:51:49 pm »
That was just class, enjoyed that very much.