Author Topic: Sadio Mané  (Read 1759080 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sadio Mané
« Reply #3080 on: March 5, 2017, 10:11:47 pm »
Sterlings had a good season to be honest, not as good as Mane but the knockdowns don't resonate when Sterling is a good and younger player in his own right.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3081 on: March 5, 2017, 10:27:45 pm »
Going overboard there - u including strikers in that?

Okay top 15 :) .... he's not playing up front so not strikers.
Personally I think there's a phenomena when people rate players across teams and leagues... players with an established reputation ... older players are over rated... younger players are under rated.
I have no idea where he rates honestly... but he's really fucking good :)

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #3082 on: March 8, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
Player of the Month for February. Deservedly so. 3 goals and an assist. Could have had more against Spurs.

Edit.. Was thinking the Arsenal game was in Feb.

Just 2 goals in February for Sadio. 
« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 05:11:37 pm by amirani »

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3083 on: March 12, 2017, 10:42:38 pm »
He's excellent
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3084 on: March 12, 2017, 10:54:33 pm »
his touch was messy today - really messy and not lionel style

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3085 on: March 12, 2017, 11:00:51 pm »
I'm just really glad that there's no AFCON next year, I know he loves playing for his country and I know they need to have that tournament in January due to the rains down in climate in Africa, but we get a whole season with him around next season! :)

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3086 on: March 12, 2017, 11:54:32 pm »
Poor game today, not to worry.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #3087 on: March 12, 2017, 11:56:28 pm »
Poor game today, not to worry.

Still our best attacking threat in the first half.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3088 on: March 12, 2017, 11:58:03 pm »
Still our best  attacking threat in the first half.   player.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3089 on: March 13, 2017, 11:04:11 am »
Nowhere near his best yesterday, but still the most dangerous player on the pitch. You can see how scared the opposition are of him. Not since Suarez has a player had that psychological impact for us.

If we had another lad with his pace on the other side, just imagine what this fella could do with the extra space that would create.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: March 13, 2017, 11:26:47 am »
Nowhere near his best yesterday, but still the most dangerous player on the pitch. You can see how scared the opposition are of him. Not since Suarez has a player had that psychological impact for us.

If we had another lad with his pace on the other side, just imagine what this fella could do with the extra space that would create.

Spot on.

And I completely agree with the psychological side of the game.  Its a big part.

Opposition are scared of him, before they even get on the pitch, before they know whether he will have a great game or bad.

Someone pointed out in the Origi thread his lack of aggression and I think Mane is the example for him.

They're different players, yes, but the aggression Mane shows in his game scares the daylights out of defenders and he has that reputation now.

If Origi can show half the aggression Mane does, coupled with his talents, he go a long way to fulfilling his potential.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3091 on: March 13, 2017, 11:33:41 am »
Yes. They should make Origi move in with Mane so he can learn his ways.  :D

Mane is exceptionally skilful to go with the pace. Origi may not quite have the skill and touch Mane has, but he should still be able to impose himself on the game more using his physical gifts.

I would like to see Origi knock it past his man and burn him off down the wing early doors just to show him marker that he can. He should be the ideal flat-track bully type player.

Mane is good enough to bully everyone.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3092 on: March 23, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »
I think we should play mane upfront, maybe not a great finisher, but he is also a hard worker in terms of winning the ball back and his added pace could make him even more his a menace in some ways, when it comes to winning the back back.

He might not be a natural goalscorer, but as we saw with otamendi last week, he could actually create his own chances, whereas it appears Firmino needs to have chances put on a plate for him.

Mane has scored at 1 in 2 from wide, I'm sure he could do the same thru the middle or likely even better

This would require a new wide right, which I would think easier to get than a upgrade on firmino upfront, buying a new wide right, gives us back up to mane and a improvement thru the middle by buying 1 player.

Klopp doesn't like lots of arrivals in transfer windows so this could be an answer to 2 problems, saving funds for a left back, centre back etc 

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3093 on: March 23, 2017, 04:37:12 pm »
I think we should play mane upfront

:butt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3094 on: March 23, 2017, 04:39:06 pm »
:butt

Indeed.

He offers genuine pace both out wide and when transitioning from defending to attacking. Putting him up top would lose us both of those things, and the team would be a hell of a lot worse off for it.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3095 on: March 23, 2017, 04:41:45 pm »
I know this sounds extreme but let's buy a genuine #9 who's going to stay fit and leave Sadio to the wings and doing whatever he likes.

Revolutionary thought's If I say so myself, let me know what you lad's think. 

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3096 on: March 23, 2017, 04:42:46 pm »
I know this sounds extreme but let's buy a genuine #9 who's going to stay fit and leave Sadio to the wings and doing whatever he likes.

You've been in the Everton thread haven't you? Losing your head is the only explanation for such (lack of) thoughts.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3097 on: March 23, 2017, 04:48:38 pm »
I went in there and came out a new man mate.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3098 on: March 23, 2017, 04:52:13 pm »
I wouldn't play Mane upfront in a 4-3-3 formation, as he's clearly our best wide player - so that wouldn't make much sense to me.

I do however think we might have to try something different to help our chances to get top four.  4-3-3 isn't working against the weaker sides, so maybe try something else.

I quite like the idea of playing two upfront, so either playing a diamond formation, with Mane upfront with Firmino or Origi (and Coutinho at the tip).

Or just a normal 4-4-2.  But in possession it would probably look more like a 4-2-2-2. 

If we had another player like Mane in the squad who could stretch the opposition, then 4-3-3 might be far more effective in breaking these sides down.  I know at the beginning of the season we were actually doing that, but too many of our players have not been on top form lately, most notably Coutinho and Firmino, for that to happen.

At the end of last season we played 4-4-2 under Klopp to very good effect.  Sturridge was scoring in league when playing with the majority of the squad players as the first teamers were being rested for the Europa competition.

I don't see why we are being so rigid in terms of formation this season, especially when we have plenty of players who can play a few different roles and 4-3-3 is struggling to break down these weaker sides.

I'd like to see us try something different, but if we do stick to 4-3-3 then I'd keep Mane where he is as he is thriving in that role and is the least of our problems.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #3099 on: March 23, 2017, 04:54:22 pm »
Mane is the ideal wingman for a quality number 9 as opposed to playing that role himself. We would be mad to remove one of the best wingers we've had in many years to play him centrally.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3100 on: March 23, 2017, 04:54:26 pm »
Keep him wide. Just have fucking pace everywhere. All the good teams have it. I'm not interested in anyone who's not powerful or fucking rapid.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3101 on: March 23, 2017, 04:55:16 pm »
Tbf I think it's not the worst shout to see Mane up top. There's plenty of times in game where he takes the position of the farthest forward, either centrally or from the channels. He's pretty good in the air and with his back to goal, especially considering his build. He's great playing on the shoulder of the last man, and makes great runs into space. Scored a few good goals taking touches in the  box (Watford at home is a good example) and if we had a RW who offered a similar outlet to what he offers currently I could see he merit of him playing through the middle as a more fixed position than he currently does. Is it one for now? Probably not, but it's not a bang your head against the wall bad suggestion. In some ways it seems more logical and practical than other suggestions I've seen on here.

Would still like to see a quality striker added ideally, it goes without saying, but I don't doubt Klopp hasn't considered Mane as a 9, he gives him enough tactical flexibility to switch with Firmino in game to support that thesis. Wouldn't be the worst shout at all if we found a winger or 2 of Manes skill set and impact from the right.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3102 on: March 23, 2017, 05:28:20 pm »

We lack a elite footballer, that is influential and can lift his teammates.  (suarez, gerrard)  Mane could develop into that players but he needs to be more central to do it.

The 3 best in the world in the last 20 years (he who fannies about and dives around, messi, henry) started wide and moved centrally, it's what you generally do with your best players

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3103 on: March 23, 2017, 05:30:02 pm »
We lack a elite footballer, that is influential and can lift his teammates.  (suarez, gerrard)  Mane could develop into that players but he needs to be more central to do it.

The 3 best in the world in the last 20 years (he who fannies about and dives around, messi, henry) started wide and moved centrally, it's what you generally do with your best players

Not sure about that.  Zidane, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo starting positions for Real / Barca were wide really, with a view to drift inside.

That's basically what Mane does.  Not that he compares to those three.

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3104 on: March 23, 2017, 05:31:37 pm »
Not sure about that.  Zidane, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo starting positions for Real / Barca were wide really, with a view to drift inside.

he doesn't directly compare to them, no

but it can help us if he does (move central) IMO
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:55:10 pm by markmywords »

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3105 on: March 23, 2017, 05:39:35 pm »
I'm just really glad that there's no AFCON next year, I know he loves playing for his country and I know they need to have that tournament in January due to the rains down in climate in Africa, but we get a whole season with him around next season! :)

Made me laugh😀

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #3106 on: March 23, 2017, 05:49:14 pm »
1. Mane is really good at tracking back. Anyone filling that wide position would not only have to be as good as Mane going up front but also be good at tracking back. I doubt there are players like that.

2. One of his biggest strengths is picking up the ball from midfield and driving towards the goal. We don't have many players who are direct and at the same time have the pace/close ball control to do that. He will have space to do that from the wide areas. I feel he wouldn't be as influential starting up front.

But there's no harm in giving it a shot. The question would be who will start out wide without a drop in quality in that position.

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3107 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:58 pm »

Seeing as you asked...

Assume we get the perfect number 9 (which we all want), who stays fit, is prolific, is affordable, wants to come, etc

What happens if mane loses form mid season, or gets injured? We then need the perfect stand-in widemen who is affordable, wants to come, happy to be a understudy etc

That's 2 difficult holes to fill in 1 preseason, alongside a left back, centre back ....

Having a mane in your team, probably makes it harder to sign another decent wide right, unless you make it clear the plan is to shift him inside.

Getting 1 wideman, actuallyt leaves  us with 2 proper widemen, who can stand in for each other, as well as an improvement thru the middle.  We improve the 1st 11 and the back up options in 3 positions, by buying 1 player.

It would be great to sign 4/5 world class players this summer (upfront, gk, left back, centre back, centre midfield)  And then getting quality back ups on the wings, box-to-box midfield, fullbacks who are happy to be under studies. 

But I don't think we have the funds, nor could we tempt then, nor could we  out bid our rivals for all this and even them klopp doesn't like too many additions in 1 windows.

We need to be more realistic IMO

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3108 on: March 23, 2017, 09:23:37 pm »
I'd like to see him central and running at defenders leading the attack. As soon as he goes, he forces the foul or pulls two or more players out of position.

If strongly supported from Midfield then problems could be caused against even park the bus teams.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3109 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:45 pm »
So one reason we might see him upfront for some games is the players we'll be able to buy in the summer.

We have a very specific system and a very specific / unusual skill set for our #9
The front 6 system works so well I'd be shocked if he binned it this summer

What Firmino does is super hard to replicate - it's so hard to find a 9 who has mobility, can keep the ball and pass in the final third, link play, gets shots off BUT also presses and tackles like a demon (go ahead and try and name them) I don't think we'll buy one or if we do it'll be a young one to back up Firmino.

It should far far easier to buy wide forwards to play alongside Bobby (there are shit loads of them in modern football).
The thing is the closest forward around to Firmino might be Mane. Firmino holds it up and creates better, Mane is quicker - they're different. But Mane does play almost as a forward (check out his underlying numbers) who also drops and presses - he could definitely play the position and if we buy 2 wide forwards I think you'll see it in some games Bobby doesn't play next season

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3110 on: March 23, 2017, 11:43:52 pm »

Zidane played centrally did he not.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3111 on: March 23, 2017, 11:47:56 pm »
I wouldn't play Mane upfront in a 4-3-3 formation, as he's clearly our best wide player - so that wouldn't make much sense to me.

I do however think we might have to try something different to help our chances to get top four.  4-3-3 isn't working against the weaker sides, so maybe try something else.

I quite like the idea of playing two upfront, so either playing a diamond formation, with Mane upfront with Firmino or Origi (and Coutinho at the tip).

Or just a normal 4-4-2.  But in possession it would probably look more like a 4-2-2-2. 

If we had another player like Mane in the squad who could stretch the opposition, then 4-3-3 might be far more effective in breaking these sides down.  I know at the beginning of the season we were actually doing that, but too many of our players have not been on top form lately, most notably Coutinho and Firmino, for that to happen.

At the end of last season we played 4-4-2 under Klopp to very good effect.  Sturridge was scoring in league when playing with the majority of the squad players as the first teamers were being rested for the Europa competition.

I don't see why we are being so rigid in terms of formation this season, especially when we have plenty of players who can play a few different roles and 4-3-3 is struggling to break down these weaker sides.

I'd like to see us try something different, but if we do stick to 4-3-3 then I'd keep Mane where he is as he is thriving in that role and is the least of our problems.

The boss doesnt see the 4-3-3 as rigid though.  The only rigid positions for him are Clyne the 2 CBs and the DM (Hendo/Can)

The rest, even Milly are free to roam. We just need to execute it better or The boss needs to get a different plan if the continue to fail.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:37 am »
Came on for about 25 minutes last night against Nigeria.

His reception from the Nigerian fans reminded me of the reception that Pirlo got when he came on against us at Craven Cottage, a mixture of happiness and fear. We knew quality was coming!

Though he didn't touch the ball much the quality just oozed out of him. His first touch was a filthy no look reverse pass that completely freed up his teammate. It was great to see him in the flesh.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #3113 on: March 27, 2017, 08:38:11 pm »
Just scored a penalty against Ivory Coast
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3114 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:21 pm »
Their match versus Ivory Coast was abandoned after 88 minutes due to crowd trouble. Pointless friendly really just hope he comes back fully fit ready for the bitters.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3115 on: March 27, 2017, 10:09:38 pm »
Their match versus Ivory Coast was abandoned after 88 minutes due to crowd trouble. Pointless friendly really just hope he comes back fully fit ready for the bitters.

Nice of them to wait 88 minutes. Could have done it earlier.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3116 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:12 pm »

Why on earth are they playing a friendly so soon after ACON ... ridiculous. International football is the worst

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #3117 on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:39 am »
Nice of them to wait 88 minutes. Could have done it earlier.

It's hilarious really, the ref could have let the clock run on for the last two minutes...
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3118 on: March 29, 2017, 07:19:28 am »
Mane is the ideal wingman for a quality number 9 as opposed to playing that role himself. We would be mad to remove one of the best wingers we've had in many years to play him centrally.
We've been so deprived of proper wingmen that we want to stick him into 9 the minute we got him, cause that's all we know(the older lot have seen much of course).
"He's got pace! Let's stick him up front!"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:27:49 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3119 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:28 am »
It's hilarious really, the ref could have let the clock run on for the last two minutes...

people ran on the pitch he couldn't let it go on