Author Topic: LFC Support Pride Event While the FA do FA...  (Read 11798 times)

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
LFC Support Pride Event While the FA do FA...
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:22:45 am »
On the fourth of August I attended a little piece of history. Liverpool FC became the first Premier League club to officially support and participate in a LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) Pride event. Despite the pouring rain, a healthy contingent of club staff, the Liverpool FC Ladies, members of the Supporters Committee, the LFC Foundation (continuing their excellent work in the community) and Liverpool FC supporters turned out to march behind a banner donated by the club.

The march was its usual eccentric, political, colourful and musical celebration of gay rights. It was well received by passers by (an estimated 10,000 of them), from kids in prams to pensioners, from Liverpool fans to Everton fans!  It followed a route from William Brown Street (adjacent to St George's Hall), via Queen Sq, Derby Sq, then down to the Pier Head, and while it really did chuck it down, the atmosphere was brilliant.

I spoke to Paul Amann of the Supporter's Committee, who made clear that the club have been very receptive to all suggestions made through them. Indeed LFC's participation in Pride came through a suggestion made via the committee. Paul put the suggestion to the club, they went away to think about it, and came back to him with the positive response.

Liverpool FC's attendance and support of Liverpool Pride is not insignificant. Less than 6 months ago, Liverpool FC were one of only 16 clubs out of 160 in England’s seven top divisions who responded positively to a request by Football v Homophobia to help raise awareness of homophobia in football. They were also one of only 6 Premier League clubs who committed to actively helping the campaign.

I am immensely proud of the club’s stance on this, but it is clear that commitment to changing attitudes within football is not shared by far too many others within the game.

It is unlikely in the extreme that gay footballers do not exist. But the biggest obstacle to their coming out is not the supporters (as many would have you believe), and I don’t think it’s their team-mates. It’s much more entrenched than that. It’s those running the game. It’s the executives of the FAs, the clubs, the Premier League, UEFA, FIFA, and sponsors. On something as difficult as this, the change must come from the top. As it stands, I do not believe that the commitment is there from the very top level to make sure that gay professionals are welcome in the game. That is something that is much more difficult to overcome than a tiny minority of bigots in a crowd of 40,000. I genuinely believe that when a top level professional comes out – and it will happen eventually – he will be met with a great deal of respect and admiration from a vast majority of supporters and players. The difficult thing for gay professionals is that should they suggest the idea of coming out to their bosses, they’ll be told in no uncertain terms that they must stay in the closet. Sponsors of the player, sponsors of the club, agents worried about their sponsorship/transfer cuts, or managers who might not want a media frenzy around their player/team, might all have reason to prefer for them not to come out.

Especially interesting is the sponsorship aspect. Does having a gay professional at a football club reduce its global appeal or increase it? There’s no doubt that the club involved would gain a substantial gay following, but would countries where homosexuality is still taboo shun the club? Would players from these countries be willing to play alongside a gay player? And do the powers that be do enough to educate coaches and players worldwide about equality?

These are not issues that can be tackled by a single club taking a stance. That’s not to lessen Liverpool FC’s commitment here – on the contrary, it makes it all the more admirable. But FIFA and UEFA must do more to create an environment where EVERYONE is welcome in football. Education is key to that. While it is not beyond the realm of possibility that one very brave player, and one progressive club might put themselves out there on this, the reality is that football is still a homophobic environment. Something needs to change.

You’ll often hear the argument that supporters would make life hell for a player if they found out he was gay. I don’t agree. You may get the odd song, but the novelty would soon wear off. At a recent match against Brighton, I heard of a minority of supporters singing unoriginal, homophobic songs. I’m not offended by the songs per se. I don’t think the people singing them are being malicious. They just haven’t thought about it. It has become so normalised to use gay as an insult. In football and other macho environments especially, it’s the go-to insult. It’s not malice. It’s ignorance, naivety, and the fact that for too long, we have accepted the use of homophobia-laced insults as part of every day language. What we need is for people to think about what they’re singing or saying. The implication of songs such as those the Brighton fans are subjected to weekly, is that they will offend the opposition supporters because… y’know… who wants to be thought of as gay, right?!? But the Brighton fans aren’t bothered by it. And why should they be? All the songs really show is the stupidity of those thinking they are in any way witty, funny or original. The people singing these songs need education in the first instance. They need to be prompted to think about the implications of their shouts. Punishment should be forthcoming if the shouts persist, as in the case of racism, but education is the only way to change attitudes for good.

That’s really all by-the-by, though. It is the people at the top of the game who need to help change the culture. FIFA. UEFA. The FA.

I had already written much of this piece, when my attention was drawn to a blog written by Liverpool fan Russell Wareing. The blog is called Equality - Not on the FA's watch. It details his correspondence with the FA in regards to their non-coverage of Liverpool FC's support of Pride. The replies he received just reinforce my belief that the authorities are not doing enough. When asked why there was no story on Liverpool FC’s involvement in Pride, they firstly claim that they cannot be expected to cover a story if they haven't been informed of it. And here was me thinking the FA's job was to oversee all the football clubs in this country and their activities! Following the curt reply, Russell suggested that now he had informed them of the news, they could put an article up on their website about it. He even offered to write it himself. Yet another curt reply followed.

"As I said before, I have forwarded it to the relevant person and if we are interested in running a story at this stage we will be in touch.

Now I don't know about you, but that reads to me in the same way as it read to Russell. It's basically saying "we don't want to cover this story". There could be several reasons for this. A more paranoid supporter might suggest an anti-LFC agenda. Another might suggest that the FA are simply not interested in making football a welcoming environment for LGBT people. Perhaps they just don’t think it’s an important issue? Having had no response whatsoever in the past to a complaint on sexism, I'd be inclined to suggest that the FA simply do not care about anyone who isn't them, or in their little club.

That Liverpool FC have broken the mould shows that our club is committed to equality. Perhaps tentatively at first, but certainly more so than anyone else in football at the moment. More so than the authorities who are supposed to be setting the agenda. Make no mistake – this is a big statement of inclusion for all supporters of Liverpool FC, and I’d like to think that if we had a gay player in our ranks that he would be supported in his decision to come out (or not if that was his preference). While the silence is deafening on the matter from the authorities, we can at least be proud of our club for standing up to be counted.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:44:18 am by Rhi »
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
Re: LFC Support Pride Event While the FA do FA...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:45:14 am »
Brilliant. Fuck the FA, as ever. Yes, football needs what cricket had in Steven Davies.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:10:42 am »
Brilliant. Fuck the FA, as ever. Yes, football needs what cricket had in Steven Davies.

Or Ben Cohen in rugby.  And he's not even gay.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:56:18 am »
Proud of the club and its fans.Its unfortunate that in football, it seems only Joey Barton is speaking of equality.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »
Can't believe this only got 3 replies before now.
Grand effort from the club and a grand effort from Rhi for such a good OP..

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:26:08 pm »
bump. Excellent piece.
Yep.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »
You mean to say that the FA are not the bastion of inclusiveness I've been led to believe?

Well, I never.

Offline ArcticRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:34:49 pm »
Can't believe this only got 3 replies before now.
Grand effort from the club and a grand effort from Rhi for such a good OP..
Not much to add, I feel. Well covered in an excellent OP... brilliant effort by the club. As for the FA... well... what more is there to say. Anyone with half a brain will have them sussed by now. Me... I know longer know what words to use to describe that shower of c*nts. Feels like I've used them all over the last year.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:39:39 pm »
Great to see the club taking a lead with this.

Having openly gay senior people at the club must also be a way of promoting inclusion in football.

It's the discrimination that dare not speak its name in football.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »
Fantastic peice and fantastic effort and sentiments shown by the club.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:45:03 pm »
Brilliant OP and another reason to be proud of our great club...and another reason to distrust the FA.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:45:06 pm »
That Equality blog is a great read.  It really hits home how big of an issue is being dealt with here when all the facts are collated into one article.  How the FA can turn a blind eye to this amazes me.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 07:49:32 pm »
Good stuff, Rhi.

Now I don't know about you, but that reads to me in the same way as it read to Russell. It's basically saying "we don't want to cover this story". There could be several reasons for this. A more paranoid supporter might suggest an anti-LFC agenda. Another might suggest that the FA are simply not interested in making football a welcoming environment for LGBT people. Perhaps they just don’t think it’s an important issue? Having had no response whatsoever in the past to a complaint on sexism, I'd be inclined to suggest that the FA simply do not care about anyone who isn't them, or in their little club.

I don't think any of those options are realistic but I haven't got a better explanation. They clearly believe that doing the LGBT mambo will in some way damage the game, or more likely their own positions but I can't understand how. These days, with gay marriage and anti discrimination and all that jazz, it's sort of baffling they won't embrace it. The Pink Pound is strong as ever, so if it's money they want, imagine the sort of profile the first openly gay player could have, (provided he was more blessed in the looks department than, say, Peter Beardsley).

This guy is a hurler (big and extremely "traditional" sport in Ireland) who finally came out a couple of years ago. At the start of this year's Championship season, he shipped a bad injury and was declared out for the year. There was quite a bit of talk on tv, radio, even on here about how it would affect Cork's chances, and a good degree of sympathy for the player, with acknowledgements of his senior role in the squad and his experience. Nobody mentioned his sexuality. Not that it was unmentionable, it simply wasn't on the radar, utterly unremarkable. As it should be.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 07:55:36 pm »
Not that it was unmentionable, it simply wasn't on the radar, utterly unremarkable. As it should be.

Exactly.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:20 pm »
Cue the homaphobia bollockings, but it smacks of marketing. Sorry, and maybe I'm just far to cynical, but that's how I see everything the club is involved in now. Gays... Pink pound... brilliant, get em in.

Cynical... not arf, but following LFC for the last few years will do that to yer.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 07:58:12 pm »
Especially interesting is the sponsorship aspect. Does having a gay professional at a football club reduce its global appeal or increase it? There’s no doubt that the club involved would gain a substantial gay following, but would countries where homosexuality is still taboo shun the club? Would players from these countries be willing to play alongside a gay player? And do the powers that be do enough to educate coaches and players worldwide about equality?

I agree that sponsorship is important. Most of us will probably remember the brochure that Michael Owen put out a few years ago listing his 'brand values'; 'clean and fresh' and all the rest of it. Sponsors have these kinds of lists as well, how they want to portray their brand. When they look for athletes to sponsor they want the athlete to match up with their 'values'. The sad thing is that I think for a lot of sponsors a gay footballer wouldn't match up with their ideal of 'family' values or 'clean cut' values.

I can just imagine the kind of advice that agents and PR bods would be giving to a player considering coming out. I think we're still not in a sitaution where the Pink Pound would tip the balance away from sponsors who would chicken out over their international image.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:07 pm »
Well in, Rhi.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 08:06:56 pm »
I agree that sponsorship is important. Most of us will probably remember the brochure that Michael Owen put out a few years ago listing his 'brand values'; 'clean and fresh' and all the rest of it. Sponsors have these kinds of lists as well, how they want to portray their brand. When they look for athletes to sponsor they want the athlete to match up with their 'values'. The sad thing is that I think for a lot of sponsors a gay footballer wouldn't match up with their ideal of 'family' values or 'clean cut' values.

Gay rights are a big issue in the US right now, too, and in particular with regard to marketing, it being the home of marketing and all. Anyway, Chick Fil A, a chain fast food crowd, came out and said that they were openly anti gay marriage 'cos they were Christian (they don't even open Sundays). All hell broke loose, the liberals piled out of there and onto their boycott webpages, while the likes of Palin and the other Bible thumpers were piling in there to get their photos taken.

Meanwhile, JC Penney, a massive chain of department stores, ran this ad.

They were promptly boycotted by the humourless bitches at One Million Moms, once again sending the liberals piling in there for their sweaters and chinos.

The point I'm eventually getting to is that this is on, right now, and rather than allow brands to decide your values for you, do it yourself. Pick a side.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 08:19:14 pm »
Fantastic article Rhi, well done. As Corky alludes to, not only for the good of equality, but the day a top class professional player comes out, I would imagine he'd be one very rich man (not that being a top class player isn't lucrative enough!) It's more than just the sponsorship deals and shirt sales though for me; it's a chance to give gay children everywhere an icon in what is probably the last archaic bastion of homophobia in England. Apart from the Catholic Church who prefer to keep their homosexuals in the cassock closet. I've never found any definitive answers on when somebody realises that they were gay, because when it has been brought up in conversation, all the people I know have given answers from "I always knew it" to "the day before I got married." There's got to be children growing up knowing that they are gay, great at football but don't consider taking their skills any further because they won't be able to be open if they ever made it, hasn't there? The first openly gay footballer might just open the doors for those kids to follow up their dreams, you never know.

One good thing as well is  I could just imagine Shearer and Lawrenson making "hilarious" gags on Match of the Day which would hopefully get them sacked. Or would they just treat it as matey jokes? I think that's the thing you were talking about with the Brighton songs. I was pissed off with them myself. In all honesty, if they'd been in the slightest bit funny I would probably have laughed. But they were boring, unimaginative and unoriginal. Mostly, I'll laugh at anything, because not many things are off my moral radar when it comes to comedy. The biggest criteria I set is that they have to be funny.

Good luck with campaigning to the FA if you decide it's an avenue worth exploring, and if there's anything I can do, let me know. The thing is, if you saw the press conference with Cassano during the Euros, you'll know how far football needs to come before a player would openly come out. A few quid fine for homophobic tweeting and some cliched soundbites will never send out the right signals.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »

I can just imagine the kind of advice that agents and PR bods would be giving to a player considering coming out. I think we're still not in a sitaution where the Pink Pound would tip the balance away from sponsors who would chicken out over their international image.

You know what? If I was a gay footballer, I wouldn't want to be associated with the brand values of a company who were intolerant or bigoted enough to believe that gays cannot have family and clean cut values.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »
Great post Rhi. :wellin

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »
Im with FS on this one, no issues with anybodys sexuality but this smacks of a marketing ploy,just like everything seems to be nowadays.
Shiny , happy clappy football club with high fives and back slapping all the way. Yee ha.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline LIVusa34

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 08:38:33 pm »
Cue the homaphobia bollockings, but it smacks of marketing. Sorry, and maybe I'm just far to cynical, but that's how I see everything the club is involved in now. Gays... Pink pound... brilliant, get em in.

Cynical... not arf, but following LFC for the last few years will do that to yer.

I'm sure that's part of the motivation, but even so it's still a much-needed message that the club is putting out.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:22 pm »
Im with FS on this one, no issues with anybodys sexuality but this smacks of a marketing ploy

What's wrong with that, incidentally? If LFC are going in the schools for free and doing courses in Africa for free, and showing up at the Gay Pride parade for free, you're saying it's all about marketing so they can sell more kit. So what? I don't understand why you would see that as a negative, or at best ignore the positive.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 09:23:41 pm »
You know what? If I was a gay footballer, I wouldn't want to be associated with the brand values of a company who were intolerant or bigoted enough to believe that gays cannot have family and clean cut values.

Absolutely. To be totally clear, I'm not saying that there is any kind of rationality behind these idealised nuclear family images. My point is that, like Rhi said, I don't think it's the fans or the other players who would be the problem for any gay player wanting to come out. I suspect that the agents and others who make their money from the footballers are the ones who are worried about 'brand value' and probably giving bad advice. As corkyboy pointed out this bad advice might well be out of date anway - I hope so.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:39:18 pm by Devon Red »

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »
What's wrong with that, incidentally? If LFC are going in the schools for free and doing courses in Africa for free, and showing up at the Gay Pride parade for free, you're saying it's all about marketing so they can sell more kit. So what? I don't understand why you would see that as a negative, or at best ignore the positive.
im ignoring no positives, and im not knocking the support of L'pool Pride, its jut a long line in a wave of marketing stunts which appears to be making our club more american by the minute, life size liver birds, rodgers takes a shit and the clubs press are there snapping him, the documentary, the shit Standard Chartered gave us  re the Suarez affair despite their own recent dealings, rodgers changings back to red nets and putting the old TIA sign up, Tom Werner stood at the lecturn like a fucking priest at mass everytime thre is a press conference. If people dont like us fuck em, never needed those extra hangers on before we dont need them now,
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 10:12:51 pm »
never needed those extra hangers on before we dont need them now,

I believe Liverpool needs the 'extra hangers' now more then ever... losing a generation of fans can be absolutely devastating financially, in the long run. with the recent lack of success, we need all the fans and exposure we can get.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »
nice post rhi.good read.
bollocks

Offline Red Reign

• Anny Roader
  • Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin'.
LFC Support Pride Event While the FA do FA...
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »
The OP sums it well so I've nothing to add other than to give it a slight bump. Good job Rhi.
“Just go out and drop a few hand grenades all over the place son.” - Bill Shankly

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 10:39:33 pm »
Im with FS on this one, no issues with anybodys sexuality but this smacks of a marketing ploy,just like everything seems to be nowadays.
Shiny , happy clappy football club with high fives and back slapping all the way. Yee ha.
its amusing the club cant really win can it.

Us - The club should do more for the community etc etc.

Club gets involved in the liverpool gay pride event. One that the committee asked for them to be involved with.

Us - Marketing ploy bollocks. Just trying to sell more shirts...

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:53 pm »
its amusing the club cant really win can it.

Us - The club should do more for the community etc etc.

Club gets involved in the liverpool gay pride event. One that the committee asked for them to be involved with.

Us - Marketing ploy bollocks. Just trying to sell more shirts...

I think that's a bit reductionist. There isn't really a single "club" or an "us", they are concepts vaguely representing two groups of people, all of whom will have their own individual opinions on any given subject. The majority of people in this thread have been very supportive, rather than cynical. And I suspect that the people at the LFC Foundation are very much doing these things for the right reasons; they are (AFAIK) community activists, rather than hedge fund managers, and I think/hope most fans would recognise that.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »
Brilliant, thoughtful and insightful opening post.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 11:41:39 pm »
I'm half with FS on this one in the fact that who knows if the club would or wouldn't of entered the gay pride festival if asked, say, last year.

After the whole Suarez affair, the club needed as much good spin as it can get. When asked if they'd enter, I bet you they jumped at the chance, and said yes.

I suspect a large part of it is purely down to getting good PR out of it, or more likely, not getting more bad PR if they declined the offer to enter.

That said, it's no bad thing at all to be at the leading edge of such an initiative.

I respect that some footballers might want to come out of the closett, but quite frankly I couldn't give a shit if they do or they don't.

If I was a professional footballer going onto the field of play, I wouldn't be asking any other footballer what religion they were.  I wouldn't be asking them what political party they voted for that the last election. I wouldn't be asking them, what sexuality they were, and quite frankly wouldn't care.

It makes no difference what so ever what sexuality they are, in the same way I couldn't give a shit what religion anyone is or who they vote for.

As long as they're not deliberately trying to break my legs if they are the opposition, and as long as they are prepared to pull their tripe out and give their all, it doesn't matter one shit what or who they are.

And thats the way it should be.

As a fan, I think exactly the same.

"So you're gay?....meh!....good luck and get on with it"

As long as thy are professional and give their all, I really couldn't care less what they see themselves as.

As for the F.A. stance:

Same old - old boys club.

They talk a great game, but when it comes to actions, if it gives them nothing in PR then it probably isn't even on their radar.

In this case, I bet you they didn't even know LFC were on the gay pride march. It would certainly seem so by their response.  They got caught with their pants down so to speak, and didn't know how to react because they hadn't had half a dozen board meetings to discuss it.

It was a stock self defence response.

Don't be surprised that at some point in the season the F.A. decide to have some sort of equality drive on sexuality etc.(by no means a bad thing)  Don't be surprised again if it's a big back slapping excersise in telling the world how diverse the F.A. are etc, and painting themselves in a great light.

Cynical?  Damn right I am. They're a gang of self-serving, -old boys club- shitehawks.

Always have been, always will be.

Great artice by the way, Rhi.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:10:49 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 06:35:18 am »
Nobody said it was a bad thing to be doing. I said, it smacks of marketing. I stand by that, or do you really think Ayers and co are doing there bit for gay rights and so on. Nah. Sorry, I just can't see it. The ulterior motive doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, but this club does nothing through some sense of altruism. It's all about the pound, whatever colour that pound may be. Cynical, I'm sure some will think so but I'd call it more realistic. 
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 06:39:00 am »
I believe Liverpool needs the 'extra hangers' now more then ever... losing a generation of fans can be absolutely devastating financially, in the long run. with the recent lack of success, we need all the fans and exposure we can get.
Winning a title would bring in all the fans in the world. We'd even take a lot of them from City, Chelsea and United. It would piss me right off, but if FSG are looking for more customers for their product, maybe they should try and win them over with a few trophies.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:16 am »
PS... I also think it's a good thing. I remember poor Fashanu committing suicide. They deny it, but it's obvious that the poor lad was in such turmoil because he was gay and football is so homophobic. I am not some old biggot sitting here doing an Alf Garnet. I'm Scouse. I live down south. There's barely a day goes by without some sort of prejudice being aimed at me. I wouldn't dream of treating anyone in such a way. We are what we are. We don't get to choose. I have no problem with LFC being involved in good causes. I do worry about what's going to happen to the club, though. And that's my only reason for this stance. What if the club is offered a great deal on a new stadium outside the city? Scare mongering maybe, but I wouldn't put it past FSG.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:11 am »
Brilliant, thoughtful and insightful opening post.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 07:21:44 am »
In fairness FS, your train of thought has gone from A to B via Darwin there mate :D

I sort of see what you mean, but this isn't the thread for it. Cycnical or not, I'm glad the club has represented themselves in this way. Equality, fair play. I'm proud they've done it.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:26 am »
Good on our club, gay rights in football need support and if we garner good publicity due to our support i see nothing wrong in this, as long as we continue to support pride events and its not just a one off event.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 08:07:46 am »
In fairness FS, your train of thought has gone from A to B via Darwin there mate :D

I sort of see what you mean, but this isn't the thread for it. Cycnical or not, I'm glad the club has represented themselves in this way. Equality, fair play. I'm proud they've done it.
I agree. LFC should be all inclusive. I only came back in here as I knew me first post would be scrutinised, but I've said me piece. So, I'll shut up now. Well done to the club for this, but I still don't trust John Henry far as I could throw him, and with a good wind, I reckon I could lash him a fair aul distance.

Sorry, if I derailed anything. I didn't mean to, and I thought it needed to be said.