Author Topic: All-time Footballing Duos & Partnerships draft - Discussion Thread  (Read 18589 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: All-time Footballing Duos & Partnerships draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »
Gerry to pick now. No sign of 4.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2017, 05:16:34 pm »
Who picked Redondo and Seedorf?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2017, 05:19:18 pm »
Who picked Redondo and Seedorf?

No-one. You're safe  ;D

Seriously though, I hope we don't see those two again. Not sure I'd ever call them a partnership as such.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2017, 05:22:17 pm »
No-one. You're safe  ;D

Seriously though, I hope we don't see those two again. Not sure I'd ever call them a partnership as such.

I agree.  I was trying to fit Redondo in but couldn't really justify it. Same with my favourite Italian too.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »
I'd be amazed if we could've found 16 for each wing!

Easily done.

As it is about how effective they worked together, like Silva & Dunga - not being just big names necessarily.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2017, 05:25:40 pm »
I agree.  I was trying to fit Redondo in but couldn't really justify it. Same with my favourite Italian too.

That Italian really hates being partnered with anyone. I think he was just really unlucky with who he played with.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2017, 05:27:45 pm »
That Italian really hates being partnered with anyone. I think he was just really unlucky with who he played with.

True. Got Rui Costa and Batistuta which I'm pretty happy with. Just need two good wide now to complement them.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2017, 05:47:28 pm »
True. Got Rui Costa and Batistuta which I'm pretty happy with. Just need two good wide now to complement them.

One of the great attacking combinations those two  :)

Gutted to miss out on Lizarazu and Thuram too. One of the all-time great fullback duos - which is where I disagree with Klippity. I always think of them together and they were a huge part of France's World Cup success. You'd never think of Thuram and Karembeu or Lizarazu and Petit as a winger combination, because it was all about Lilian and Bixente battering the wings. This is also one of my favourite moments in football ever. Worth watching for the interviews with Desailly and Djorkaeff on how Thuram blacked out after scoring  :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PVGC_6fHN4g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PVGC_6fHN4g</a>

Also saw this quote from Zidane for the first time under the video - "You write and write about me and Ronaldo, but you don't even see that the greatest footballer of all is right in front of you: Lilian Thuram."

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2017, 05:51:21 pm »
No-one. You're safe  ;D

They wouldn't have been a bonafide partnership as such, but they would have played more games together in close contact in the midfield than the two you picked. I wont hold that against International picks, but i think with the rigid formation set up, we shouldn't be too harsh on the midfield duos in particular. It's the one area on the pitch where the influence is greatest. I mean think of the interactions with the surrounding players.
Redondo and Seedorf wouldn't have been a problem pick with me

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2017, 05:55:00 pm »
One of the great attacking combinations those two  :)

Gutted to miss out on Lizarazu and Thuram too. One of the all-time great fullback duos - which is where I disagree with Klippity. I always think of them together and they were a huge part of France's World Cup success. You'd never think of Thuram and Karembeu or Lizarazu and Petit as a winger combination, because it was all about Lilian and Bixente battering the wings. This is also one of my favourite moments in football ever. Worth watching for the interviews with Desailly and Djorkaeff on how Thuram blacked out after scoring  :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PVGC_6fHN4g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PVGC_6fHN4g</a>

Also saw this quote from Zidane for the first time under the video - "You write and write about me and Ronaldo, but you don't even see that the greatest footballer of all is right in front of you: Lilian Thuram."

Yeah definitely agree about fullbacks, like you, I think of that French team and Thuram and Lizarazu I think of together, even though they played on different sides of the pitch.

Never knew Zidane said that about Thuram either, great stuff.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2017, 06:00:16 pm »
They wouldn't have been a bonafide partnership as such, but they would have played more games together in close contact in the midfield than the two you picked. I wont hold that against International picks, but i think with the rigid formation set up, we shouldn't be too harsh on the midfield duos in particular. It's the one area on the pitch where the influence is greatest. I mean think of the interactions with the surrounding players

I've got to be harsh, mate. This draft is about partnerships and seeing just guys who played together a few seasons without really forming any memorable combination goes against the spirit of it. Otherwise you could just about pick anyone and we may as well have done a normal all-time draft if that's what people are going to do with their picks.

Also, says the guy with no midfielders yet  ;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2017, 06:02:22 pm »
Anyone remember LFC4LIFENET? And his 'tosh' outburst? Like 'Tosh' gets banded about willy nilly these days. Anyone seen any 'Tosh' lately?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2017, 06:06:01 pm »
I've got to be harsh, mate. This draft is about partnerships and seeing just guys who played together a few seasons without really forming any memorable combination goes against the spirit of it. Otherwise you could just about pick anyone and we may as well have done a normal all-time draft if that's what people are going to do with their picks.

Also, says the guy with no midfielders yet  ;D
Yeah but in a couple of seasons they'd have played together more than International games. I'm saying this as someone who picked an International combo ;D I mean there's combos who played in pretty memorable seasons for clubs and great football seasons in general only for a season or so

I'm picking Redondo and Seedorf :D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2017, 06:11:30 pm »
Anyone remember LFC4LIFENET? And his 'tosh' outburst? Like 'Tosh' gets banded about willy nilly these days. Anyone seen any 'Tosh' lately?

Whatever happened to him?!?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2017, 06:16:42 pm »
Whatever happened to him?!?
He became LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY. And eventually got banned.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2017, 06:17:09 pm »
sorry for the delay lads. i've got a missed go right?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2017, 06:22:57 pm »
Yeah but in a couple of seasons they'd have played together more than International games. I'm saying this as someone who picked an International combo ;D I mean there's combos who played in pretty memorable seasons for clubs and great football seasons in general only for a season or so

I'm picking Redondo and Seedorf :D

Combinations and parterships in this draft are definitely NOT about how many games players have played together. Or at least not IMO. There are plenty of players who played together a long time. Hell, Lovren and Sakho probably have more games together than most international combinations, but that does not make them a partnership. Often great partnerships at club level have played together for a long time of course, but what makes a great duo is how they played off eachother, how they complimented the other, or perhaps a memorable thing they achieved together which wouldn't have been possible without the two of them. Good examples: Jairzinho and Carlos Alberto (who played a massive role in Brazil's success), Pirlo and Gattuso (who perfectly make up for the weakness in the other's game), Raul and Morientes (the classic little large combo) etc. I think you've got one of the best combination teams so far to be honest and it'd be a massive shame to throw that way.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2017, 06:30:25 pm »
sorry for the delay lads. i've got a missed go right?

Yep, go for it.

It's also Klippity's turn in 5 minutes.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2017, 06:30:31 pm »
If you wanted to pick Liverpool 's best left winger do you have to pick him in partnership with who played on the right at that time, even if he's more closely associated with other partnerships?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2017, 06:34:07 pm »
Fuck this defensive midfielder bullshit. I'm going 'Total Football' lads.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2017, 06:36:13 pm »
If you wanted to pick Liverpool 's best left winger do you have to pick him in partnership with who played on the right at that time, even if he's more closely associated with other partnerships?

You could've partnered him with a fullback or a midfielder or a striker. It's just it makes the other picks quite tricky to juggle, so most people have gone for a more uniform picking approach (two CMs, two wingers, two fullbacks etc).

Ummm Samie.... when did Boban and Prosinecki ever play together apart from at youth level? Do you mean Savicevic who played with Boban at Milan and/or Prosinecki at Red Star?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 18, 2017, 06:36:48 pm »

Harry Kewell  and...

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:02 pm »
can i be involved in one of these next time? seem really fun and i'd win  :wave  :champ
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2017, 06:38:26 pm »
You could've partnered him with a fullback or a midfielder or a striker. It's just it makes most other picks quite tricky to juggle, so most people have gone for a more uniform picking approach (two CMs, two wingers, two fullbacks etc).

Ummm Samie.... when did Boban and Prosinecki ever play together? Do you mean Savicevic who played with Boban at Milan and/or Prosinecki at Red Star?

Oh shit I meant him.   ;D

But was reminiscing about the 98 world cup and Bob came onto my mind.  :D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2017, 06:41:12 pm »
Oh shit I meant him.   ;D

But was reminiscing about the 98 world cup and Bob came onto my mind.  :D
:lmao Blade runner moment. Every draft has one

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 18, 2017, 06:44:16 pm »

Blade Runner moment was explained. How the fuck do you think i would not know who said that  famous quote when the film is one  of my favourites?  ;D

This one I will concede.  :D

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »

:D

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2017, 06:45:28 pm »
It's also Klippity's turn in 5 minutes.

I go?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2017, 06:45:48 pm »

Oh God, I'd forgotten about that  ;D  Don't ever change, Samie!

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2017, 06:45:59 pm »
Blade Runner moment was explained. How the fuck do you think i would not know who said that  famous quote when the film is one  of my favourites?  ;D

This one I will concede.  :D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #231 on: February 18, 2017, 07:36:02 pm »
Sorry for the delay. Didn't actually know it was my turn as Greatness didn't PM me   :wanker

Anyway, picked and PM'd. After Cafu/R. Carlos and Thuram/Lizarazu, Fachetti & Burgnich were my favoured fullbacks from their partnership with Grande Inter and Italy, and friendship off the field on boating trips  ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #232 on: February 18, 2017, 08:58:42 pm »
This is tougher than I thought it would be.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:37 pm »
This is tougher than I thought it would be.

Apart from the mancs  :D  you're doing great so far!

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »
Do I pick now?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2017, 10:45:52 pm »
Do I pick now?
you can if you want, but i've just seen tubby's message so should pick soon enough
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2017, 10:47:45 pm »
you can if you want, but i've just seen tubby's message so should pick soon enough
No problem mate, go at it.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2017, 11:06:18 pm »
I should have skipped you, I was going for that pick.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:07:59 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2017, 11:09:57 pm »
I should have skipped you, I was going for that pick.  ;D

sorry  ;D
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2017, 11:14:53 pm »
Yep, nice pick. They complimented each other really well on the left.