Author Topic: Cheltenham 2016 - The 9th Annual RAWK Cheltenham Tipster Competition  (Read 17325 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
***Congratulations to Salger - The 2016 RAWK Cheltenham Tipping Champion!!!***   :champ

2016 sees The 'RAWK Cheltenham Tipster' competition entering it's 9th year.

With just 5 days to the start of the Cheltenham Festival on Tuesday 15th March, it's time to get this years competition rolling again.  The previous eight competitions have all been good fun with a good turnout.

Last years competition was a close one yet again and went down to the wire again. Beefdog consolidated his 3rd round lead on the final day and stopped CK from claiming his 2nd title.

The general Rules of the game are simple and remain exactly the same as last year.

Pick one horse per race each day of the festival. Points are accumulated as follows depending on where your selection is placed. These point awards remain exactly the the same as all previous years competition.

Winner - 15 points
Second - 10 points
Third - 7 points
Fourth - 4 points

Points are only awarded for places which the bookies pay out on (e.g. third for 8 or more runners and fourth for 16+ runners).

All important Odds Bonus points are available for a winner only.

Winner 33/1 and over = 15 bonus points
Winner 16/1 and over =  10 bonus points
Winner 8/1 and over = 5 bonus points

On each days racing you must also pick ONE NAP horse. If your NAP selection wins, then you receive double points.  In previous years, players received a 10 point bonus for picking a NAP winner.  I felt that a double point bonus may encourage people to try and NAP a more risky selection at longer odds and therefore gain more points.  It also gives people further down the leader board a chance to move up with a bit more of a risk/reward tactic.

The double point NAP bonus worked well in its first year (2014) and WernerRed scored a huge 100 points on day 4 and probably would have won the whole competition had he not entered the competition late on Day 2.

So to clarify the scoring and NAP bonus - if you picked a 10/1 winner you will get 20 points as standard (15 + 5).  If you made this your NAP of the day you would receive double and get 40 points.  Napping a 33/1 winner would get you 60 Points (15 + 15 x 2). Napping an odds on favorite would gather no odds bonus and just get you the standard 15 points for a winner then doubled. (15 x 2 = 30). And so on.

I will provide a daily points tally and overall leader board each evening in this thread and will also update the tables on this OP.

Important info:

Entries to be posted in this thread BEFORE the first race each day. (you can also post the night before if you wish).

Any Non-Runners in your selections will be replaced by the SP Favourite.

If you don't think you've got the time to make any proper selections on one of the days at least try and post something along the lines of "Fav every race". In the event of JT Favorites your selection will be deemed as the favorite first alphabetically.

**Anyone with edits on their original post AFTER the start of the FIRST race each day, will void ALL their selections for that day!!! No exceptions**

Any player who neglects to post their entries for any 2 of the 4 festival days will be removed completely from the competition.  NO EXCEPTIONS. This rule allows players to join the competition late on Wednesday but not beyond.

Please feel free to edit your selections right up to the time of the first race or post your whole weeks selections in one go.

Any questions about the point scoring or selections please feel free to ask in this thread or drop me a PM.  We will not be having separate threads for chat and selections this year we can just keep it all contained in this thread.

No prizes I'm afraid - just the glory of being RAWK's Champion Cheltenham Tipster 2016 and getting your name on the lovely 'virtual' trophy below!!

Hall of Fame

2015 Winner - Beefdog
2014 Winner - Desi Kopite
2013 Winner - Fazak_Red
2012 Winner - Alex
2011 Winner - Alex
2010 Winner - CK
2009 Winner - Somerset Red
2008 Winner - StuwieG

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:05:22 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline ollyfrom.tv

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cheltenham 2016 - The 9th Annual RAWK Cheltenham Tipster Competition
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:44:47 am »
Can't wait.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:55:42 am »
Going to have another crack at it this year, enjoyed the previous couple I've played.

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 01:19:52 pm »
the best 4 days of the year, gutted only going the thursday and friday this year.

Douvan and Un De Scueax Double still pays just over Even Money

and If you dont have a coral account get a free £40 they are giving 8/1 for willie mullins to have a winner during the cheltenham festival for new customers max bet only £5 but you get £40 for nowt

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:11:11 pm »
In bud thanks for doing it again Pete
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »
Nice one Pete, can't wait.

Don't forget we've got a fantasy cheltenham going on too, could do with a few more joining in

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=326443.0

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:57:01 pm »
Count me in please Pete.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 05:01:42 pm »
Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaa first up and ready to finish mid-table!

Probably a lot of favs coming up due to non-runners......

Tuesday 15th March

Min
Douvan
Southfield Theatre
Nicholls Canyon
Vroum Vroum Mag - NAP
Southfield Royale
Thomas Crapper

Wednesday 16th March

Yanworth NAP
No More Heroes
Politologue
Un De Sceaux
Foxrock
Our Thomas
New to this Town

Thursday 17th March

3 Musketeers
Cup Final
Roadstoriches
Thistlecrack NAP
Johns Spirit
Limini
Noble Endeavor

Friday 18th March

Who Dares Wins
Wait for Me
Barters Hill NAP
Don Cossack
It Came to Pass
Chef Doeuvre
Velvet Maker

Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »
Sorted Bryan lad.

As you are fully aware. Any of those selections end up as NR, it will be replaced by the SP Fav.

cheers :wave

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 05:42:58 pm »
Count me in Pete mate, always look forward to this. Hopefully I can finish nearer the top this year, I often have a fantastic day followed by a terrible one and end up mid table or worse.

Offline CraigR2323

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 07:02:12 pm »
Love to join in. Nice swan for running it again!

Not sure I can beat last year's Tuesday's big fat ZERO mind.  :D

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:43:48 am »
Best 4 days of the year and always the best thread of the year!

Nice one as always for running Pete!
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 09:49:02 am »
For any new players this year, post your selections each day (or night) BEFORE the first race of the day.

Something along these lines will do.

1.30  Fellani is a c*nt
2.05. Carrick is utter Shite
2.40. Don't sack Van gael
3.20. Shoulda been Four
4.00. Inbred Mancs
4.40. Bye Bye De Gea
5.15. Back on our Perch

If your struggling to make selections or haven't got access to the race-cards etc.  Just post some numbers

or maybe even:

Favorite every race.

At least you will have a chance at winning some points.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 10:04:59 am »
Hoping to do a bit of a Leicester this time around and finish first after just avoiding the wooden spoon last year  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »
Evenin' All - back for another bite of the cherry. No Coneygree this year but have been advised by mate who's Mr Pipe's head secretary that they really like Starchitect for the County, Dr Harper in the Kim Muir and a small e/w investment in Dell Arca for the Martin Pipe conditional. Not a Pipe horse but apparently DP has told everyone in the yard to have a go on Voix de Reve in the Fred Winter.

Make of this what you will n will give you any updates if I hear anything else. Nice to be back!
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 06:38:27 pm »
Evenin' All - back for another bite of the cherry. No Coneygree this year but have been advised by mate who's Mr Pipe's head secretary that they really like Starchitect for the County, Dr Harper in the Kim Muir and a small e/w investment in Dell Arca for the Martin Pipe conditional. Not a Pipe horse but apparently DP has told everyone in the yard to have a go on Voix de Reve in the Fred Winter.

Make of this what you will n will give you any updates if I hear anything else. Nice to be back!

Hiya mate. Welcome back

After your ConeyGree tip last year which I made a fucking packet out of on course I'll be following those tips mate

Not going this year but will be punting on every race that's for sure :)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 10:18:58 pm »
Ya best get me name on that trophy this year.

No fuckin about .     

;D
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 10:24:10 pm »

Me mate phoned us on Tuesday sayingthat his mates are part of a syndicate that met the night before. Anyway.

Barters Hill.

PS. Who was that lad that gave us all Lord Windemere two years ago ? 33/1.He also gave us another mad price one that came second .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 10:27:02 pm »
the best 4 days of the year, gutted only going the thursday and friday this year.

Douvan and Un De Scueax Double still pays just over Even Money

and If you dont have a coral account get a free £40 they are giving 8/1 for willie mullins to have a winner during the cheltenham festival for new customers max bet only £5 but you get £40 for nowt

Super duper.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:15 pm »
Not long now!

Looking forward to the competition as usual.

I've just been going through my ante post bets, here's a little write up. Green for good and red for bad bets.

Day 1:

Min (Supreme) 20/1 and more on at 7/1 after debut - Will make my Cheltenham if this wins.
Douvan (Arkle) 3/1 - It’s Douvan, enough said.
Min (Supreme), Douvan (Arkle), Faugheen (Champion Hurdle), Annie Power (Mares Hurdle) 40/1 - Was looking good until Faugheen got injured and Annie was switched to the Champion Hurdle.

Day 2:

Bellshill (Neptune) 6/1 - The vibes/soundbites coming from the Mullins yard were so good, which is annoying because I always preferred Yorkhill! Oh dear.
More Of That (RSA) 5/1 - Has a great chance, if he can keep tabs on No More Heroes (who jumps/travels so well) I fancy More Of That to do the business up the hill.
Felix Yonger (Champion Chase) 33/1 ew  - A strongly run 2miles with Un De Sceaux and Special Tiara blazing a trail should suit as I’m expecting Felix Yonger to come off the pace and finish strongly for a place.

Day 3:

Limini (Mares Novice Hurdle) 6/1 – Wins on the bridle is she jumps round safely.

Day 4:

Lets Dance (Triumph) 25/1 - Think she’ll be in the mix, looks a strong stayer.
Ivanovich Gorbatov (Triumph) 14/1 - Not sure where we stand with him after his last run, surely it was too bad to be true, I backed him straight after he cruised up alongside Lets Dance to win first time out, hoping he can produce similar at Cheltenham but not too confident as it stands.

Other Multiples:

Annie Power (Mares Hurdle), Josies Orders (Cross Country), Thistlecrack (World Hurdle), On The Fringe (Fox Hunters) 179/1 - Annie bombs me out again here.

Min (Supreme), Douvan (Arkle), Annie Power (Champion Hurdle), Vroum Vroum Mag (Mares Hurdle)  28/1 - A reaction bet to me no longer having the Mullins/Ricci day 1 fourfold! Didn’t want to feel left out if it actually lands this year… May even be bigger odds on the day, so a bit premature?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 01:51:34 am »
Ya best get me name on that trophy this year.

No fuckin about .     

;D

Kesey ya mad twat

How's Pete Price ye blert :)

Offline IanBrown

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 12:00:21 pm »
Never did present IanBrown with the Tipster fail trophy last year.

Anyway, here it is. Welcome to the club Ian  :)

Cheers Pete, completely forgot i won that last year!

Anyway, got my usual week off work for this so count me in :wave

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 01:33:21 pm »
Kesey ya mad twat

How's Pete Price ye blert :)

He's still a bit of a c*nt.

Still buzzing here after Thursday. I didnt sober up til last night.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »
Looking forward to this lads. Count me in Please
YNWA - JFT97

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 11:24:01 pm »
Count me in!

Been waiting for this week for bloody ages.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 04:28:39 am »
Who's going to be the first to put them in then ?

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline beefdog

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 10:37:45 am »
Looks like Bryanod already has!

Offline somersetred

• Kopite
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »
Great Count me in Pete 😊 Thanks for doing this again mate

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 07:48:58 pm »
Great Count me in Pete 😊 Thanks for doing this again mate

No worries mate. Good to see you in again pal :)

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »
TUESDAYS SELECTIONS

1:30 ALTIOR
2:10 DOUVAN
2:50 THEARTE GUIDE (NAP)
3:30 NICHOLS CANYON
4:10 VROUM VROUM MAG
4:50 SOUTHFIELD ROYALE
5:30 KILLER CROW WILLOWS SAVIOUR
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:49:23 pm by KOTP »

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 09:24:13 pm »
Eyes down, look in:

1.30 Supasundae
2.10 Douvan
2.40 Kruhzlinin
3.20 Idetntity Thief (Nap)
4.00 Vroum Vroum Mag
4.40 Bally Chorus
5.15 Aloomomo

I'm having a bit of a Henry de Bromhead moment!
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 11:33:57 pm »
Day 1 - Tuesday - Champion Day

1:30 Yorkhill Min
2:10 Douvan NAP
2:50 Out Sam
3:30 The New One
4:10 Vroum Vroum Mag
4:50 Noble Endeavour
5:30 Double Shuffle
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:41:25 am by Wyl »

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 09:59:51 am »
Day 1:

13:30 Min
14:10 Douvan NAP
14:50 Shanahan's Turn
15:30 Nichols Canyon
16:10 Vroum Vroum Mag
16:50 Noble Endeavor
17:30 Bouvreuil
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 10:11:47 am »
Nobody's predictiong Douvan to fall then by the looks of selections so far

Offline wayne38491

• Official RAWK Lurker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 10:49:18 am »
1.30 Min
2.10 Douvan (NAP)
2.40 The Young Master
3.20 Annie Power
4.00 Vroum Vroum Mag
4.40 Native River
5.15 Bouvreuil

Offline SKITTLE

• Legacy Fan
  • One of the "older" brigade.
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 11:06:25 am »
In.

Been there,done that,getting older,bordering on part timer status. So sad but that's life.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 11:16:26 am »
13.30 Altior
14.10 Douvan (Nap)
14.50 Holywell Kruzhlinin
15.30 Nichols Canyon Camping Ground
16.10 Vroum Vroum Mag
16.50 Noble Endeavor Measureofmydreams
17.30 Aloomomo
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:54:45 am by paul211b »

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 11:17:43 am »
Day 1:

13:30 MIN
14:10 DOUVAN (NAP)
14:50 THEARTE GUIDE
15:30 THE NEW ONE ANNIE POWER
16:10 VROUM VROUM MAG
16:50 PONT ALEXANDRE
17:30 DOMESDAY BOOK
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:15:50 am by RobbieRedman »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:26 am »
Bloody Hell, few early birds this year. Nice one. :)

New Players - Don't forget your NAP selection each day for bonus points.

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 11:43:31 am »
Yorkhill defo going to the Neptune rather than supreme