Author Topic: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer  (Read 129842 times)

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
Re: Comolli: Only 1or 2 adjustments in the summer
« Reply #800 on: March 4, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »
It really isn't Adam, Downing, Henderson or Carroll's fault that they're not as good as we would like them to be. But it is management's fault for thinking that these type of players were the solution to our problems.

Really hope we've learnt from this.

Yep. Kind of the moneybal thing gone wrong. Adam was supposed to help at set peices and downing and carroll were suposed to combine
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Zawsze Red!

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #801 on: March 4, 2012, 02:31:45 pm »
Also if attacker is wanted then I think Dembele at Fulham is super player, very creative and talented, can play behind Suarez and give balls to run onto like Forlan for Uruguay.  I think I was reading that is 10m price in contract, this is good price according to my opinion.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #802 on: March 4, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »
We only have 1 priority: a striker who can score goals with game intelligence to read what Gerrard, Suarez, Bellamy, Downing, Kuyt are doing.

We get that striker and we are a far far better team with far far better results.

Getting some midfield help or another winger would be nice, but not critical.

A new striker would make all of our current attacking players that much better.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #803 on: March 4, 2012, 02:42:52 pm »
Absolutely agree. This surely has to be the priority in the Summer. I'm not sure who is available but our right wing needs addressing.

Muniain, Ramirez.  Would work well with suarez, on the otherside IMO. Whether we could get them though is a different matter. Ramirez would be easier to get than Muniain
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 02:45:29 pm by Quintet »

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #804 on: March 4, 2012, 02:42:56 pm »
The premier league is weak this year and has been in decline for a couple of years now. Look at the champions league this year compared to 3-5years ago when English clubs were in the majority making it to the quarters finals consistantly. Saying were not far off putting the pieces together is wishful thinking imo. Arsenal and chelsea are not going to be as poor as they have been this year. Man city and united will no doubt strengthen and spurs will be able to attract some big players with being in champs league. We are going to have to take drastic steps forward between now and next season just to stay where we are.
Football is a lie

Offline Suarez7Carroll9

• Main Stander
  • Has Carroll in his username, but hates him really.
« Reply #805 on: March 4, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »
Wish he had just kept his mouth shut on the way out

Why what did he say? Are you on about when there was a supposed argument with the staff or that Chelsea are a bigger club?
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 02:54:09 pm by Suarez7Carroll9 »

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #806 on: March 4, 2012, 02:53:54 pm »
Also if attacker is wanted then I think Dembele at Fulham is super player, very creative and talented, can play behind Suarez and give balls to run onto like Forlan for Uruguay.  I think I was reading that is 10m price in contract, this is good price according to my opinion.
another striker who needs 10 shots to hit the target

Offline graaf_x

• Kopite
« Reply #807 on: March 4, 2012, 02:57:13 pm »
Let's sign Pogrebnyak.

Offline Suarez7Carroll9

• Main Stander
  • Has Carroll in his username, but hates him really.
« Reply #808 on: March 4, 2012, 02:57:54 pm »

He is playing CM today, he isnt really a striker more of a Silva type, the player we need. Then get a good striker with decent movement who will make runs for him. But he isnt that good, could be Adam etc MK II

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #809 on: March 4, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »
We have a good squad. We lack a few "match-winners". One or two signings is right, if they are.

I do feel it is a little bit Pinky and the Brain here. "What's the plan this summer?" "The same as it is every summer; to find the new John Barnes"
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Zawsze Red!

• Kemlynite
« Reply #810 on: March 4, 2012, 03:08:00 pm »

i agree Dembele is not scoring many goals but I think problem is how we play not that Suarez is bad finishing.

Suarez with Liverpool: 34 games and 10 goals (this is 0,29 goal on one game)
Suarez with Ajax: 110 games and 81 goals (this is 0,74 goal on one game)
Suarez with Uruguay: 52 games and 26 goals (this is 0,5 goal on one game)

OK, English league is maybe hard league but also now Suarez is with better team and should be have more chance to score, also now is more experience player.

My opinion is we are not play the best way for Suarez.  He is not player for lots of crosses from wingers, he is player to run to pass from midfield.  Gerrard can do this passes if he plays as No. 10, Dembele is very good at this also, I think.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: March 4, 2012, 03:08:05 pm »

good shout realy...even if i prefeur other Fulham player, that is Clint Dempsey...top club material imho.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #812 on: March 4, 2012, 03:09:47 pm »
Only 1 or 2 adjustments?

Huntelaar & possibly Marco Reus.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: March 4, 2012, 03:10:06 pm »
i agree Dembele is not scoring many goals but I think problem is how we play not that Suarez is bad finishing.

Suarez with Liverpool: 34 games and 10 goals (this is 0,29 goal on one game)
Suarez with Ajax: 110 games and 81 goals (this is 0,74 goal on one game)
Suarez with Uruguay: 52 games and 26 goals (this is 0,5 goal on one game)

OK, English league is maybe hard league but also now Suarez is with better team and should be have more chance to score, also now is more experience player.

My opinion is we are not play the best way for Suarez.  He is not player for lots of crosses from wingers, he is player to run to pass from midfield.  Gerrard can do this passes if he plays as No. 10, Dembele is very good at this also, I think.

this tells not much realy, compare his team mates in Uruguay and Ajax with the ones here + the difficulty of oponent defences in national cups and Eredivision...

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: March 4, 2012, 03:10:47 pm »
Only 1 or 2 adjustments?

Huntelaar & possibly Marco Reus.

Reus signed with Dortmund in January, will move in summer...

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #815 on: March 4, 2012, 03:12:59 pm »
We have a good squad. We lack a few "match-winners". One or two signings is right, if they are.

I do feel it is a little bit Pinky and the Brain here. "What's the plan this summer?" "The same as it is every summer; to find the new John Barnes"
Haha it's true though. We really need to buy a long term replacement for Kuyt or Maxi and then a striker. That will transform the team in my opinion
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline steve10

• Kopite
« Reply #816 on: March 4, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »
A 30 goal a season striker, a right sided midfielder to replace Kuyt, a creative midfielder - 75-80mill- not minor adjustments Mr Comolli unless you are talking about numbers rather than costs.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #817 on: March 4, 2012, 03:21:10 pm »
Reus signed with Dortmund in January, will move in summer...

Bastards.

Do like the look of Martin Harnik too.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #818 on: March 4, 2012, 03:23:18 pm »
He is most definitely part of the problem.
Would blame Downing,Carra,Carroll,Henderson before I even come near Adam.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: March 4, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »
Realisticly who is available for us? People say cavani, hazard but i think there gonna be out of reach for us.. Hope im wrong mind you. Maybe the likes of ramirez or isla are more realistic. Think they will be an upgrade on what we have though.. As a team we lack pace, take out downing and bellamy and were too slow. A pacey striker or winger is a must for me imo..Also could do with a attacking midfielder. Not asking for too much am i??
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: March 4, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
This is terrible price for them.  I am not criticise these players, I think good squad players and Downing can be effective for us in future (Carroll not sure) but this is crazy price according to my opinion.

i think the exact oposite :D

btw, i think the players Kenny targets are not only quality, but players who realy are proud or should be proud to wear this shirt and be this their dream club and priority....

you can see the way Spearing is playing for us... he gives his all.. Kenny loves this imho...

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: March 4, 2012, 03:33:59 pm »
Realisticly who is available for us? People say cavani, hazard but i think there gonna be out of reach for us.. Hope im wrong mind you. Maybe the likes of ramirez or isla are more realistic. Think they will be an upgrade on what we have though.. As a team we lack pace, take out downing and bellamy and were too slow. A pacey striker or winger is a must for me imo..Also could do with a attacking midfielder. Not asking for too much am i??

i think players look first on how much they earn, then they deciede about the other stuff... obviously if we play in CL we would have better chance to pick players who want to win something...but some mentioned Sneijder, i think players close to their 30 or players who already won something will go for money only.... if Anzhi Makhalalalalla would make offer for him with sallary like us never could give him, he would go there instead...

many fans have pink glasses and think everyone would love to play for us....reality is somewhere else i belive...it´s less romantic as people would wish it is...

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: March 4, 2012, 03:35:10 pm »
Bastards.

Do like the look of Martin Harnik too.

Harnik... never seen him play this season, ironically this one is his best... before that he was average, not even starter in Stuttgart..but in Austria NT... let´s face it, they don´t have that many talent to pick anyway...

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
« Reply #823 on: March 4, 2012, 03:35:12 pm »

I'd say the biggest name we could realisticly get would be Muniain but even that would be difficult. But Isla and Ramirez are fantastic players, add a clinical striker to that and we'd be ok

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: March 4, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »

The problem is he's only 17, and not ready for the first team yet.

* runs and hides
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #825 on: March 4, 2012, 03:46:04 pm »
The problem is he's only 17, and not ready for the first team yet.

* runs and hides
If you're good enough you're old enough.
*also runs and hides

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: March 4, 2012, 03:49:02 pm »
It really isn't Adam, Downing, Henderson or Carroll's fault that they're not as good as we would like them to be. But it is management's fault for thinking that these type of players were the solution to our problems.

Really hope we've learnt from this.
So true, if we named our best 11 if all fit, possibly only one of them would make the lineup.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #827 on: March 4, 2012, 03:50:12 pm »
No way we'll get Martinez. We don't need him anyway, since we've got Lucas. We've got more important positions to strengthen.

Perhaps, we do need more depth in that role though.

Offline TheRussianBiscuit

• custardcreamski
  • Main Stander
  • Hey hey hey its the biscuit in the house!
« Reply #828 on: March 4, 2012, 03:54:14 pm »
We only have 1 priority: a striker who can score goals with game intelligence to read what Gerrard, Suarez, Bellamy, Downing, Kuyt are doing.

We get that striker and we are a far far better team with far far better results.

Getting some midfield help or another winger would be nice, but not critical.

A new striker would make all of our current attacking players that much better.

Agreed. We need a finisher who is strictly a striker no one versatile. Not a jack of all trades. Personally I believe its about time the academy starts producing.
"I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches"

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #829 on: March 4, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »
In the absence of an obvious player who we can sell for a huge fee  this year as compared to Torres last year, we need to be realistic in terms of what budget is likely to be available to us in the era of FFP with the almost  certain lack of CL football next season again.

The frustrating issue is that the areas where we are lacking are the areas we have already invested so much cash in and so far haven't seen a huge return from that.

Last year we spent about £75m on 3 attacking players who have scored 9 goals in the league so far this year, we're unlikely to have that kind of budget this year and we have no ability to absorb another transfer window where we seem to hugely overspend for what we get at the top end of the market (pricewise).

In addition to the obvious holes we need to fill we'll also have a few players nearing the end of their careers who will need to be replaced, hopefully at least some of the answers to those questions will come from some of the youngsters.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #830 on: March 4, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
Well, not really :P

We re-invested the Torres money in Carroll last January. If Chelsea hadn't delivered us £50m crisp notes for Torres we wouldn't have spent £35m on Carroll, simple.

The Summer money wasn't wisely spent admittedly, and as such I severely doubt there'll be another +£100m to buy three world class players this year. We have to accept this is the team now, and barring a few replacements (due to age - Kuyt, Maxi, due to 'other' reasons - Cole, Aquilani) we're likely to only improve a couple of areas for next season I'd have thought.

So because one transfer window when we spend quite a lot didn't go to plan we're gonna stop spending big money then?

I seriously fear that this summer's transfer window is gonna be crucial for the next few years. Chelsea, Arsenal and even Mancs to some extent will have to rebuild this summer. Then there's gonna be an interesting summer for Spurs too. Will Arry get his dream job in the summer? Will some of their key players leave (Modric, Bale etc) or will they be able to keep the current squad and get a couple of good additional players etc.

This season was a great chance to get in the top four considering Chelsea and Arsenal are nowhere near consistent enough but somehow we managed to fuck up big time at most of our home games this season. Next season we might be need to be twice better than we are now to challenge for top four.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #831 on: March 4, 2012, 03:59:57 pm »
Sucks that we're still paying absurd wages to Cole and Poulsen...that absolutely hogties a side with no Champions League income. As for loaning out AA and selling Meireles, those look to be the correct decisions. Henderson and Meireles have been a wash this season, and Henderson can only go up. It was good that we have gotten him a season worth of starts and experience playing in a Final. Aquilani is the same guy as the last few years..great when he plays, but that's a big if.

Maybe I am delusional, but I have high hopes for Shelvey next season and Europa(or CL!!) action should lead to Kenny increasing his faith in him. I'm thinking that the guy to replace next year is Kuyt. Kuyt's made it real hard for Kenny and the staff this season because he picks up a clutch goal or a great 15 minute appearance as a sub. Then you start him and he singlehandedly kills most of the attacking moves throughout the next game. Always works hard and gives his all for the team and an international for one of the best international sides in the world. Really tough to drop a guy like that, but he just hasn't produced for us this season when you zoom out and take a big picture look at the season.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: March 4, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »
Sucks that we're still paying absurd wages to Cole and Poulsen...

We sold Poulsen, so we are not paying him any wages now. I am sure we gave him a bundle of cash on the way out of the door, but he is not currently getting money from us.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #833 on: March 4, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »
Despite what Comolli says I would be disappointed if we didn't buy 3 players at least this summer.
We clearly need a right winger, we obviously need a striker and if we fail to buy a midfielder I would be very disappointed.
If all went really well we could also get in a young right-sided CB and let Carra move into coaching 
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Il Conte

• Kopite
« Reply #834 on: March 4, 2012, 04:05:19 pm »
Maybe I am delusional, but I have high hopes for Shelvey next season and Europa(or CL!!) action should lead to Kenny increasing his faith in him.

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen more of him this season to be honest, don't think there's a gulf of class between him and our regular starters, huge potential too.

Offline paulred71

• Main Stander
« Reply #835 on: March 4, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »
We may have spent big in recent transfer windows but thats mainly down to how much money we have brought in.  I cannot see us spending more than £25m in the summer plus what ever we bring in.  Kuyt & Maxi will bring in very little so I agree that DC is probably only looking at a couple of signings in the £10m-£15m bracket.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #836 on: March 4, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
We may have spent big in recent transfer windows but thats mainly down to how much money we have brought in.  I cannot see us spending more than £25m in the summer plus what ever we bring in.  Kuyt & Maxi will bring in very little so I agree that DC is probably only looking at a couple of signings in the £10m-£15m bracket.

A picture from the transfer board this coming summer:

And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #837 on: March 4, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »
We really need to make better use of the money we get to spend this summer. Otherwise we could end up being left even further behind.

Offline ۩ Maximus ۩

• Long lost cousin of Imperator
  • Kopite
  • I AM AN IDIOT
« Reply #838 on: March 4, 2012, 04:20:21 pm »
We really need to make better use of the money we get to spend this summer. Otherwise we could end up being left even further behind.

Massively. A repeat of the summer just past and the new owners will be wondering where their money is going. Quite ridiculous the amount we have spent and the players we have gained. I like Henderson myself, Enrique is a good player, and Bellamy was a bargain; Downing and Adam on the other hand don't seem to be good enough for a Top 4 team, not as first XI players. Carroll really isn't doing himself any justice, if he could show his form at Newcastle however, we would have one helluva player on our hands, unfortunately, it seems like the wrong player at the wrong time for me. He deserves time though as he is only a baby in general target man terms.

Hopefully we'll spend wisely, but the problem with the 'Comolli' situation is that it is unclear who is making the transfers, which is never good.

Offline jdpapa3

• Kopite
« Reply #839 on: March 4, 2012, 04:23:25 pm »

but the problem with the 'Comolli' situation is that it is unclear who is making the transfers, which is never good.

Comolli has the ultimate say, but he has the input from many different people and especially Dalglish. What's so bad about that?