Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 589760 times)

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #1200 on: January 2, 2017, 01:31:35 am »
It is fucking idiotic.

Plus it is a joke for fans who pay a lot to watch it.

But tennis players play the following day after marathon matches and we never complain.

What makes me laugh is the FA/Premier League threatens teams with fines when they rotate their entire team in situations like this because it's not fair on the second team you come up against, but then they continue to put clubs in a position where they feel the need to rotate so much.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1201 on: January 2, 2017, 11:51:46 am »
Because Adam missed a fair bit of his early career due to medical problems, he's a player that will probably remain at a high level a wee bit longer than some others...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1202 on: January 2, 2017, 12:25:01 pm »
Because Adam missed a fair bit of his early career due to medical problems, he's a player that will probably remain at a high level a wee bit longer than some others...
Yeah I agree, he hasn't clocked up those miles early in his career, plus he's never relied on pace.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #1203 on: January 3, 2017, 08:37:49 am »
Just read that Lallana covered the most ground of all Premier League players in both games over new year. Borini & Larsson also made the top 10 during yesterday's game.

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #1204 on: January 3, 2017, 01:49:53 pm »
Loving this lad at the min, fantastic and long my it continue.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1205 on: January 6, 2017, 05:40:26 pm »
Player of the month for December, four goals and two assists.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: January 6, 2017, 06:06:54 pm »
The Hunter.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: January 11, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »
Anyone else think he was so timid tonight? Nothing worked for him, he got skinned multiple times and gave it away for fun. A minor blip without a doubt and im sure he'll be back to form on Sunday.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1208 on: January 11, 2017, 09:54:16 pm »
Anyone else think he was so timid tonight? Nothing worked for him, he got skinned multiple times and gave it away for fun. A minor blip without a doubt and im sure he'll be back to form on Sunday.

Was still our best player.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: January 11, 2017, 10:12:42 pm »
Big problem was him being caught on the ball more than anyone else in the team.

Not really the game for him as part of the front line though. Had to make checked runs away from goal rather than timed runs forward for the majority of the game. Needs to get back to being in a position with play in front of him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:21:31 pm by 007.lankyguy »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #1210 on: January 11, 2017, 10:14:09 pm »
Was still our best player.

No he wasn't.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #1211 on: January 11, 2017, 10:15:16 pm »
No he wasn't.

Lucas was! That's saying something

Online iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #1212 on: January 11, 2017, 10:15:47 pm »
Gave the ball away a lot tonight and was easily his worst performance for a long while. But that happens over the course of a season - just a shame it happened on a night when everyone else seemed to forget their footballing abilities back in Merseyside.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: January 11, 2017, 10:16:03 pm »

Yeah, second half especially

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1214 on: January 11, 2017, 11:42:47 pm »
That was his worst performance under Klopp. Perhaps in a Liverpool shirt full stop.

It should be stressed, though, that Southampton seriously targeted him as they knew our play would go through him. A player as good at keeping possession as Lallana doesn't lose the ball 11 (!) times purely via his own bad play, although there were certainly more than a few instances of that too.

He needs Coutinho back even more than Firmino does to take the playmaking pressure off him a bit.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1215 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:46 pm »
It should be stressed that

1. Firmino is in dire form
2. Sturridge is in dire form
3. Wijnaldum could do with a rest
4. Lucas is not first team quality
5. Can is in worse than worse than dire form

I certainly wouldn't knock him for failing to carry five other players.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lar Salty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1216 on: January 11, 2017, 11:51:12 pm »
He was terrible today, but I don't think it was his fault. He's at his best when we have him in the middle, facilitating the transition from defending to attacking, with pace in front of him stretching the field and creating space that he can expose. He's never been an effective player attacking from the wing. He's just too slow. He's been an absolutely brilliant central midfielder though. He provides something from that role that literally no one else in the squad is capable of providing.

It's just too easy to defend liverpool when our attack consists of Lallana, Firmino and Sturridge. It's so single speed that we can't stretch the field vertically at all.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: January 12, 2017, 12:03:24 am »
He was terrible today, but I don't think it was his fault. He's at his best when we have him in the middle, facilitating the transition from defending to attacking, with pace in front of him stretching the field and creating space that he can expose. He's never been an effective player attacking from the wing. He's just too slow. He's been an absolutely brilliant central midfielder though. He provides something from that role that literally no one else in the squad is capable of providing.

It's just too easy to defend liverpool when our attack consists of Lallana, Firmino and Sturridge. It's so single speed that we can't stretch the field vertically at all.

I agree, but he was even worse when he dropped back today. In the first half he was largely fine.

He just looked shattered and he was being pressed very, very quicklyz usually by Clasie. It was one of those days for him, he was due one more than anyone given he's been our most consistent player this season.

Offline JG6

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1218 on: January 12, 2017, 12:06:32 am »
Terrible tonight but he's earned the right to have an off night, just hope he's back at it on Sunday.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #1219 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:13 am »
Terrible tonight but he's earned the right to have an off night, just hope he's back at it on Sunday.

He was one of the better players out there today.

Reason why he shouldn't play in front 3 is because he has no penetration. Very fancy with the twist and turns  ut then ends up going back, Origi and Mane are the players to exploit tight defences.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:33 am »
Definitely wasted as a winger.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1221 on: January 12, 2017, 11:24:35 am »

Reason why he shouldn't play in front 3 is because he has no penetration. Very fancy with the twist and turns but then ends up going back

About as wide of the mark as a Donald Trump tweet.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1222 on: January 12, 2017, 11:38:39 am »
Very fancy with the twist and turns  ut then ends up going back, Origi and Mane are the players to exploit tight defences.

That's right. At last someone has blown his cover. He's just a Fancy Dan footballer, not really a footballer at all. More a hoola-hoop, hop-skotch sort of player. We should replace him with Micky Quinn or Steve Claridge, proper footballers with proper names and less of the twisting and turning.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1223 on: January 12, 2017, 02:18:21 pm »
That's right. At last someone has blown his cover. He's just a Fancy Dan footballer, not really a footballer at all. More a hoola-hoop, hop-skotch sort of player. We should replace him with Micky Quinn or Steve Claridge, proper footballers with proper names and less of the twisting and turning.

you forgot Dirk
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: January 12, 2017, 02:33:12 pm »
Yesterday he reverted to taking too many touches - I chalk it up to what happens sometimes when you play your former team.

Offline JG6

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1225 on: January 12, 2017, 03:11:45 pm »

Reason why he shouldn't play in front 3 is because he has no penetration. Very fancy with the twist and turns  ut then ends up going back, Origi and Mane are the players to exploit tight defences.

He wasn't. He, like most of his team-mates, was awful. And if you think someone as technically brilliant as Lallana can't exploit tight defences you don't watch him closely enough.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1226 on: January 17, 2017, 02:09:41 pm »
He needs to be moved back to CM Asap.

Our last 4 results (City, Sunderland, Soton and Utd) have been so and so but performances for the high standard we've set this season have been a bit poor. Only 1 goal from open play but more worryingly apart from the goal vs City we hardly created any good quality chances from open play.

One of the main reasons for me is pushing Lallana to the tip of the diamond and wide in 3 of those games. He needs to be moved back deeper because we've got nobody to receive passes from our CBs and then knit the play and get us going. It's why we struggled badly to move up the pitch and get to the final third swiftly and efficiently and had to resort to stupid long balls.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:30 pm »

Our last 4 results (City, Sunderland, Soton and Utd) have been so and so but performances for the high standard we've set this season have been a bit poor. Only 1 goal from open play but more worryingly apart from the goal vs City we hardly created any good quality chances from open play.

One of the main reasons for me is pushing Lallana to the tip of the diamond and wide in 3 of those games. He needs to be moved back deeper because we've got nobody to receive passes from our CBs and then knit the play and get us going. It's why we struggled badly to move up the pitch and get to the final third swiftly and efficiently and had to resort to stupid long balls.

exactly what I was thinking.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: January 18, 2017, 10:32:55 am »
I'm certain he will be in midfield on Saturday alongside whoever doesn't start between Can and Wijnaldum tonight. Origi, Firmino and Coutinho front three.

There's simply no need for a Hendo, Can, Wijnaldum midfield against one of the two weakest sides in the division at home. I actually think it's worked quite well in big games, though, and is a template for us next season when we sign another central midfielder.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: January 18, 2017, 11:16:14 am »
Lallana is our best player, for me.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #1230 on: January 18, 2017, 11:38:45 am »

Definitely the most important for the way we play. Talent wise, Coutinho no question.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: January 18, 2017, 11:53:53 am »

That is also a function of Coutinho missing from our lineup. Origi, for all intents and purposes, acts like a target man for us, or in a more blunt way of saying, he's our out ball. You can see the difference when Coutinho was introduced into the lineup, he instantly became the missing link, coming deep to get the ball, turn, and singlehandedly dribble away from the pressure situations.

Lallana provides the same function, but he's not as good as Coutinho in that regard for me. But what he does excel over Coutinho is that his tenacity and speed when it comes to the press. It seems that we were missing that in the midfield the past few games with Jordan and him not in their usual positions. I think that more than anything is what we needed Lallana for during December. You can see how our press was a lot less effective once he moved forward. Can, honestly, isn't intelligent enough to play that game for us, even though he does have an excellent work rate.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1232 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:42 pm »
Lallana provides the same function, but he's not as good as Coutinho in that regard for me.
I would slightly disagree with this. I think with Dembele and Cazorla, Lallana is the best midfielder in the league against the pressing; and that for me has been our secret this season because him and Gini were so good as pair receiving passes from our CBs and then using their amazing skills in tight spaces to turn teams round and connect our defence with final third. That is what gave us our fluidity which made us so effective in the final third.

Once we moved away from that a bit as we've seen at City and Utd games the lack of courage on the ball/technical quality at the back between Mignolet, Lovren and Henderson got exposed , we couldn't progress up the pitch our usual way so we had to resort to long balls which in effect totally ruined any chance of us playing our best football and finding rhythm in our passing.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: January 18, 2017, 01:32:11 pm »

Please. And I absolutely love Lallana btw. He's the kind of player I think sometimes Liverpool haven't quite taken a chance on in the past - technically brilliant but combined with the finest work ethic one can image. Our best player is another that does the exact same but with even more natural talent, which is none other than Magic Phil. I thought that although we were sneaking victories after his injury, our performances and chance creation looked quite poor. I think Jackward posted on the other thread that our expected goals per 90 has dropped by almost 1 since Magic Phil's injury. That simply confirms how good he's been. Lallana is superb btw and is definitely one of the best CMs in the league now.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1234 on: January 21, 2017, 03:15:49 pm »
Moving Lallana into Mane`s spot from midfield is a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

He is so important when he plays from midfield. He makes our midfield work, bringing the best out of / complimenting Gini, Hendo, Clyne and Milner.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1235 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:16 pm »
Jurgen I adore you but for the love of God play Lallana in his best position.

With no Phil, Mane and Adam, Bob moved away from their best positions we moved too much away from our winning combination that got us into this good position in the first place.

Offline Iloveyoumamadou

• Main Stander
« Reply #1236 on: January 21, 2017, 03:33:11 pm »
Lallana in midfield is just so crucial to this team, a similar backup has to be the top summer priority.

Games Lallana has played on the wing: Bournemouth (4-3 loss), Man City (1-0 win - not great performance), Man Unt (1-1 - ok performance but not fluid), Swansea (3-2 loss).

Games Lallana has been injured so Can has played in midfield instead: Man Unt (0-0 - struggled), Southampton (0-0 - again, couldn't score), Sunderland (2-0 win - we won but this was a frustrating performance).

Not once without Lallana in midfield have we been at our fluid best, so Jurgen insisting on not playing him there today is beyond me. I think similar things can be said for Firmino out wide (never at his best there), Can in midfield (slows everything down) and playing without Mane (no coincidence that we haven't won without him).

Our first eleven works brilliantly, but take one crucial piece out (Matip, Mane, Lallana, Coutinho) and there is no like for like replacement. The team is shifted too much and we lose cohesion, none more so than when we move Lallana out of midfield.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: January 21, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »
Lallana in midfield for future games please.

And for the love of god, drop Emre Can. Lallana gives us everything in midfield - seven assists already from that position, but also defensively crucial with his pressing capabilities and all round work rate. Can is sluggish, lairy in the tackle, slow on the turn, and for a big lad, is outmuscled easily.

And I haven't even got on to his woeful creative capabilities - he is not a playmaker, and our front three today were feeding off scraps.

I'm really struggling to see what Klopp thinks Can brings. He's caused nothing but harm to the team and surely now it is time for an imposing figure in midfield again - namely, Lallana.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: January 21, 2017, 03:57:32 pm »
Our positional play takes a dramatic drop when he's part of the front three as opposed to supporting the front three. A key element of our best performances earlier in the season was his movement in helping to overload one side (usually the right). That, combined with Firmino's lateral movement off the front, meant that we were either able to combine incisively and get in behind or, if we lost possession, press with four or five players around the ball, supported by Henderson behind. Because the full backs were high up the pitch we could then keep the pressure up or switch it to Coutinho who now had space because of the way the opposition would end up shifting.

Right now, that's gone out the window and it's no coincidence that not only has our combination play deteriorated but we're also not able to keep the pressure on in the same way either because we don't have as many players around the ball to press.

Moving him back has got to be a priority now.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: January 21, 2017, 04:09:47 pm »
Klopp is a genius, but he is not perfect

I think he puts too high a priority on being able to press high up the pitch, so players like sturridge and origi are left on the bench, so we can have lallana upfront, chasing the opposition's fullback, just before the fullback launches it upfield anyway

I don't think we should be picking forward players primarily based on their ability to chase and harry.  Lallana is tremendous in midfield, but there are fullbacks in league 2 that would fancy their chances to keep lallana quiet in a front 3