Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4130528 times)

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2005, 04:46:58 pm »
Think that was the problem with him mate, he was too laid back. Everyone wanted to see him destroy people the way he  destroyed Ruddock and Golota. Tell you what though, even though im not a Lewis fan his Knock out of that Cocky c*nt Rahman in their rematch was awesome.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2005, 08:22:02 pm »
Think a lot of his problem was the lack of competition, I would say of this generation of poor heavyweight he stood head and shoulders above the rest, and seems unless there was a little bit of fear (Ruddock, Tyson, Golota and to a certain extent Big Frank cos he knew he could dig a bit) or something to prove (Rahman, McCall), you didn't get to see the best of him.

Could have been considered an all time great if he had imposed himself on everyone the same way he did those guys.
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2005, 11:40:11 pm »
I think the one thing that stands out to me about Lennox Lewis's career was he needed a defining fight with a heavyweight in his mid 30s who was at least 10 years past his best and that fight was supposed to make him great. I didnt really get "it" about Lewis, it wasnt his fault, i agree on that. The fights just werent out there. He was probally the best of a bad bunch and i just think its a shame he wasnt a contender 10years before he actually was. Id of loved to of seen him and Bowe (though Lewis did beat him as an amauter i think) and him against a prime Tyson and against a prime Holyfield. For some reason I never really took to Lewis.

Frank Bruno on the other hand, I went to that fight when he won the title from McCall and that was great. Was overwhelmed when he won, think everyone in the whole country wanted him to do it. It might come down to the whole "Britain loves a loser" thing people talk about, but that wasnt the case for me anyway, i used to love Chris Eubank and Naz. Bruno just seemed like one of the lads you'd meet in every boxing gym around the country. The British public never really warmed to Lewis like they did to Big Frank. 

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2005, 07:11:56 pm »
Well no big surprises last night then,allthough i was very disapointed with penden  he never as much as even tried against bearreara

Online Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2005, 07:55:39 pm »
Let's hope Leavander Johnson recovers from his brain injury. When you see that happen to a fighter, it brings everything into perspective and shows why refs shouldn't be criticised for making 'early' stoppages at times.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2005, 10:10:05 pm »
True "get well soon"

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
 US fighter Johnson dies, aged 35

American Leavander Johnson died on Thursday five days after he collapsed following his defeat to Jesus Chavez.

The 35-year-old complained of headaches after losing his IBF world lightweight title to the Mexican in Las Vegas on a technical knock-out in the 11th round.

He collapsed in his dressing room and was taken to hospital and remained on life support following surgery to stop bleeding on the left side of his brain.

Dr William Smith told reporters: "He passed away peacefully."

Dr Smith said Johnson had suffered "very severe injury to the brain" and that the boxer's family "very correctly took the decision to remove care (after) we had no further mode to improve his prognosis."

Johnson's promoter Lou DiBella led tributes to the fighter.

"What a wonderful guy this was," she said. "I've never met anybody so proud or so grateful to achieve his dream.

"If there's any solace to be taken in this, it's that he died doing what he loved. He died a champion."

Born in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Johnson spent 16 years as a professional boxer and finally won the 135-pound division title in June.

But in his first defence on Saturday, Chavez had the champion in trouble from the start and referee Tony Weeks stopped the fight 38 seconds into the 11th round.

Johnson managed to walk from the ring on his own but began to struggle as he got closer to the dressing room.

Johnson's father was his trainer and his brother was his manager and both were among those family members at his bedside when he died.

LINK

As much as I love boxing, when someone dies so young and so tragically it does make me question it's validity as a mainstream sport.
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2005, 11:07:42 am »
US fighter Johnson dies, aged 35

LINK

As much as I love boxing, when someone dies so young and so tragically it does make me question it's validity as a mainstream sport.

Agree. But these great fighters know what may be at stake. A tragedy, but sadly it's part of the game.

Put Shank's old chestnut into some perspective.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2005, 01:31:50 pm »
Is Samuel Peter the favourite with the bookies for his fight with Klitschko Jnr?
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2005, 01:34:30 pm »
RIP with regards to his wife and kids

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2005, 04:34:46 am »
Was really sad to hear about Johnson, R.I.P Terrible thing to happen, its always sad when you hear about someone getting hurt. Thoughts are with his family. Max respect to Oscar De La Hoya though, hes supposed to be giving 10million dollars to Johnsons family to help his children. Class act if he does that like, which I  think he will. Say what you want about boxers, but at times like these fighters all come together and try to help with money and other things.

Made it hard to look forward to the Samuel Peter fight tommorrow night, its a huge test for him. Can he take a punch? Can he step up and get to Klitchko? If he does hit him on the chin, its over. Nobody in the world could take his punches, hes one of the hardest hitters ive seen. Christ!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 06:11:29 am by Mirra »

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2005, 03:39:11 pm »
Will be watchen that one myself,but to be honest can't say im looking forward to it like i was to the last few weeks boxing,or next weeks fight.The heavy weight division is a mess at the moment,not a decent boxer among them.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2005, 10:34:45 pm »

Samuel Peter, the new Tyson

Steve Bunce, sport.independent.co.uk

Nobody in the boxing business is sure when Samuel Peter first started to show on the sport's radar, but if he can beat Vladimir Klitschko tonight his passage from nowhere will be complete.

Some experts - and liars - claim it was the night in July 2000 when Peter, who was just 19 and was in his 17th amateur fight, lost 3-2 to Audley Harrison. Nine weeks later Harrison won the Olympic gold medal.

Others insist that it was after his first three professional fights, which took place in Kazakhstan, Arizona and Chile and lasted a total of five rounds. The opponents for all three brief and painful encounters were dismal fodder, and during Peter's first year or so as a professional he beat some terrible stiffs.

Peter turned 25 just three weeks ago and in 24 professional fights he is undefeated and, in many ways, untested. However, 21 of his victims have failed to hear the final bell and 15 left the ring before the end of the second round. He has been compared during the last year to Mike Tyson, Rocky Marciano and George Foreman.

He was born in Nigeria and represented the African nation as an amateur before deciding to move to Las Vegas and agree terms with the Bulgarian fight insider Ivailo Gotzev.

At 6ft 1in or 6ft 2in, depending on who is doing the measuring, Peter is shorter than a lot of heavyweights but he is 17st 7lb, and most of the weight appears to be across his chest. In the gyms of Las Vegas he has built a following among the sport's most cynical and greedy, which in the modern sport is very rare because fight men in Vegas seldom applaud or praise unless they are on the payroll.

"Samuel is an old-fashioned style fighter," said Pop Anderson, the 69-year-old coach who is straight out of a Rocky script. "He is like the heavyweights used to be before all this started."

The "all this" is the fractured and often comical state of the modern heavyweight division. The long and continuing days of decline started when Lennox Lewis withdrew his services two summers ago.

Peter and his team of Anderson, Gotzev and the irrepressible Cornelius Boza-Edwards, who was born in Uganda and raised in London and briefly held the world super-featherweight title in the 1980s, are now at a critical stage. The long line of carefully selected opponents is at an end. But in boxing terms, Peter's apprenticeship has been textbook.

"It has been a team effort because that is the only way for a fighter to develop," Gotzev said. "A boxer's life doesn't start and end in the gym and ring, when he is training or fighting. It is the boring things that can go wrong and with Samuel that has never been a problem.

Just a few years ago another young Nigerian heavyweight arrived in Las Vegas and looked certain to dominate the division. His name was Ike Ibeabuchi and he was undefeated in 20 fights when the police used tear gas to rescue a dancer from his hotel room in 1999. He remains in a Nevada prison cell and all efforts to release him have failed. Peter, it should be noted, has shown no interest for his compatriot's taste in diversions.

Last December, Peter knocked out a one-time contender and marginal name, Jeremy Williams. He was expected to win but the ending was both sickening to watch and guaranteed to secure Peter a following and a reputation. Williams was caught clean by a left hook and slept through the one-second drop to the canvas and the full 10-second count. In Las Vegas the referees are particularly starry-eyed, and count over unconscious men and let fights go on far too long.

In 2005, Peter has blasted three other heavyweights, all of whom had decent records for men booked to lose. Back in July, in his last fight, Peter secured tonight's showdown with Klitschko by taming and leaving in a heap Taurus "The Bull" Sykes. At the time Sykes had lost once in 25 fights and had a good chance of getting a world-title fight.

"Sykes made the mistake of trying to knock me out," said Peter, who is not a great talker. "It was perfect for me and a disaster for him because he met the Nigerian Nightmare."

The press in America's unofficial fight capital were converted and that, sadly, meant that his nickname, the "Nigerian Nightmare", has stuck. The "new Tyson" tag has been pushed back but it remains a perfect description of the fighter.

Tonight's fight at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City is not just an enormous risk for Peter. It is also the last chance for Klitschko, and that is what makes it such a terrific attraction. There is also nothing at stake, no tacky baubles or empty promises from promoters.

Klitschko, the younger of the two Ukrainian brothers at 29, was considered the best heavyweight in the world in 2003 but two dreadful and alarming defeats ruined his progress and he is now in one of boxing's darkest places.

His critics claim he has no heart and, more alarmingly, no chin, and the evidence from his losses to the unknown Lamon Brewster and part-time golfer Corrie Sanders appears to support the most unpleasant of the accusations.

However, he is tall, moves well and can still punch. He also has Manny Steward, the sport's No 1 mercenary trainer and guru, in his corner.

Steward believes tonight's fight will be easy for Klitschko but the bookies in Las Vegas disagree with the great Detroit sage and they have installed Peter as the slight favourite.

"People are always saying Sam is too slow, too easy to hit. They say he struggles with a tall guy [Klitschko is six inches taller]. All I know is that Sam hits them and they go. Don't matter none how slow and easy to hit he is," Anderson said.

Tonight, if he can hit Klitschko clean, he will become boxing's No 1 heavyweight attraction.

===========

Dont know if I agree with Peter being the "new Tyson" as I havent seen enough of him yet, I hope he can be the next great heavyweight. He certainly has the punching power and quite often thats all you need in the Heavyweight division, especially the state it is in. Just hope he is the real deal as he's been hyped up to fuck, will he be another Michael Grant? Another David Tua? I dont know, but Come on Sam, knock Frankenstein Jr out tonight!

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2005, 05:35:37 am »
He was totally out boxed tonight,all he seems to have is the big punch and when he doesn't get that off he seems lost.But as in saying that he  knocked  klitscho (I'm not even going to try and spell it) 3 times  "yes 3 times but still lost the fight" but for the rest was so ineffective.TO mention him in the same mouthfull as a young Tyson i think is blasphemous.What the kid needs is alto off discipline,i think this is the first boxer he met, and i know that sounds strange that I'm calling klitscho a boxer but he impressed me tonight as compared to the other fights Ive seen him.
                                                                                                                       Alls their was another great fight on the same card Coot V Torres (a late call up] It was end to end boxing with coot holding on in 2 rounds for dear life.He alls should have been deducted a point for low blows.If any off your's get a chance watch this fight as it will speak more than i can say.As i said in another post wasn't really looking that forward till tonights bouts  but was pleasantly surprised.Shh well heres looking forward till next week Traver V Jones

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2005, 10:55:43 am »
Aye that Peter looked lost when he couldnt get the big punches off, he looked knackered after the  5th round to me as well. All he needed to do was put the pressure on Klitchko and he would of had him in big trouble. I dont know what the fuck Bunce was talking about, he normally talks sense. But to me, id call this lad the new David Tua. A One trick pony. I wasnt impressed and it just goes to show how bad the heavyweight division has got. Terrible.

The Cotto fight was great though, he got a shock didnt he. Should of had a point taken off for the low blows, but he did what he set out to do and that was break the other fellas heart and take him out of his rythm. I thought Cotto had it after the way the other bloke came at him. If he thinks Ricky Hatton would let him off the hook that easily hes got another thing coming. Hatton would eat him up and I dont want to even think about what Mayweather would do to him.

Id be looking forward to Jones vs Tarver but I dont think we are getting it over here. Sky arent showing it anyway, but ill keep me eyes open. I think Roy has to be very careful here though or he could get hurt. The way he lost his last two fights couldnt of done him any good. Corrales vs Castillo part 2 soon though, cant wait for that.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2005, 02:30:43 pm »
Just watching the Peter/Klitschko fight now. Peter just doesn't look fit enough at all which is really highlighting his inadequacies in there; lack of movement (head and feet), ideas etc. He might improve with better training/guidance and better fitness but at the minute he looks short of world beater level for sure.

I don't think Klitschko is much cop though, he's more of a 'boxer' than Peter clearly but a quality boxer would hammer him - thats the problem though there's no feckers around!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 02:32:46 pm by Drobs »
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2005, 06:13:54 pm »
Yes i agree hope Jones isn't taken it one fight to far,i have a bad feeling towards this one.
Just watching the Peter/Klitschko fight now. Peter just doesn't look fit enough at all which is really highlighting his inadequacies in there; lack of movement (head and feet), ideas etc. He might improve with better training/guidance and better fitness but at the minute he looks short of world beater level for sure.

I don't think Klitschko is much cop though, he's more of a 'boxer' than Peter clearly but a quality boxer would hammer him - thats the problem though there's no feckers around!
Ya pretty much agree but the sad thing is nothing out their

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: October 1, 2005, 12:02:39 pm »
So Bronx Red, do you think Jones can do it tonight against Tarver? Hes looking in great shape ive got to say

I hope he can, heard a few people going for Roy to win on points. I just hope he doesnt get knocked out the way he did in his last two fights. Plus all the rumours going around that he's hurt his hand playing basketball a couple of weeks ago. Bloke is a legend though, hoping hes got one last piece of magic left. I dont think we are getting the fight on the tv over here so ill have to try and watch it online. Fuckign sick of missing fights like this.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: October 1, 2005, 12:19:12 pm »
Great thread, Mirra: I won't have to go to Eastside Boxing to get my fix now.

The big fights are in Hatton's division at the moment. There are some phenomenal fighters there. Tszyu had dominated that division for a decade before a very classy Ricky came along and age caught up with Kostya.

Zab has a lot of talent but zero class. He really gave Kostya no respect before their fight: and Tszyu made him do the Chicken Dance in two rounds! It was one of the most sickening knockouts I've seen, Tszyu said after the fight something like: "I didn't quite connect with the knockout punch", which shows you why he has been rated the most dangerous fighter in any division for such a long time.

Hatton vs PBF would be a phenomenal fight: probably the premier fight of the premier division in boxing at the moment.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: October 1, 2005, 12:22:39 pm »
RJJ always looks in great shape: he has lost that split second timing that he once had as a younger man. I will not be surprised if he is knocked out again; but I'm hoping that he does put in a 'RJJ' performance of old.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: October 1, 2005, 12:49:33 pm »
Alright mate, nice one, i normally visit that site as well. That and doghouseboxing. Some wankers on there like but a great site :)

Your right about Tyszu, he was dangerous as they come. The way he knocked out Judah was awesome, Zab really didnt know where he was. How he could have a tantrum because the ref stopped it I dont know. Throwing stools and grabbing the ref by the throat, shocking! He seems to of matured a lot these days though, hes lightning quick. Talk of him and Pretty Boy Floyd was going around a while ago and I for one would love to see Floyd take Zab to school ;D

I think your right about Jones though, last time I seen him it seemed like his reflexes had gone. Well not gone, but not what they once were. A lot of Roy Jones fans (on the internet, im sure you've came across a few) swear blind though Tarver won with a lucky punch (had his eyes closed when he threw it) and that Roy was ahead on points, it only went 2rounds though didnt it?? Anyway it should be interesting.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: October 1, 2005, 01:16:23 pm »
It's a pity in a lot of ways boxing's glory days are behind us: Ali and his magnificent set of opponents set up boxing to be the multi-million dollar box-office attraction it became through the 80's. It's also a pity that money choked the game in the end, and to be honest, all the punch drunkers who were attracted to the Sweet Science by people like Ali, like moths to a flame, and were subsequently burnt. There are many ex-champs out there who are quite brain damaged: God knows what happened to the people with lesser talent in the sport.

The reason I say that is because Roy Jones could have mixed it with anyone of any era: it's a damn shame to see him scrambling after paychecks closer to his forties than to his thirties. The hardest thing is to say: "I've had enough", especially when you've got a pack of sycophants in your ear relying on your largesse going: "One more pay, one more pay!" I think where he lost his 'spark' was going up to the heavies and taking on Ruiz: he comprehensively thumped him, but in the process lost his 'reactions' by the weight he took on. (mind you that was one of the most unbelievable bouts I've seen: it looked like a middleweight against a heavy, which it was, and the middle took the heavy completely apart) Subsequently RJJ found it hard to cope at lighter weights.

As I said the best practicers of the Sweet Science are in Ricky Hatton's division at the moment. Zab vs PBF would be amazing: seeing as Zab is the undisputed 147 champ, and PBF is probably the man at 140's after Ricky took Kostya to school. It would also be amazing to see Zab and PBF in the ring together because they are best mates. Hatton to fight the winner of these two to crown the undisputed of the 147's and 140's.  In my opinion, the higher divisions have now gone to Hollywood, and subsequently suck goat's balls.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 1, 2005, 02:11:17 pm »
Jones looks like he's going through a Rubin Carter phase with that beard.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: October 1, 2005, 03:10:05 pm »
Jones won the first fight on points to the boo.s off the crowd and him being a fan favourite. The judges all over thre place 114-114  117-111 115-113 after that fight u could see jones thought he had lost.Tarver is a mouth and i would love to see Roy shut it for him but im afraid for him,his last 3 fights have been taken their toll on him. If he wins i hope to god he walks away from the ring for good and not go down the same road as Evander Hollyfield.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2005, 03:11:41 pm by Bronx Red »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: October 1, 2005, 09:49:26 pm »
Red Death, I agree with you there, the heavier weight divisions are finished. The Heavyweights are over, people keep asking who will be the next great heavyweight? In all honesty I dont think their will be one. Seeing some of these guys who are around, a lot of them just look like big fat blimps throwing punches. They get the big pay days, the glamour and all that while people like Pretty Boy Floyd (the best ive ever seen i might add) whos probally forgot more of the "sweet science" than these fellas ever knew, doesnt really get the credit he deserves. Ask anyone who the best fighter ever was? Who will they say? Ali, Louis etc Ali and Joe Louis were great heavyweights, but neither could come close to Sugar Ray Robinson in terms of skill etc. Even Ali admitted that.

The lower weights are quite exciting at the minute though, Corrales vs Castillo 2 next week. Lets just hope that can be half as good as the first!

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 2, 2005, 06:11:51 am »
Tarver wins unanimous decision

For a 2nd time, the light-heavyweight defeated Roy Jones Jr., who lost for the 3rd time in a row.

George Diaz | Sentinel Staff Writer
Oct 2, 2005

TAMPA -- If this was Dancing With The Stars, Roy Jones Jr. wins easily Saturday night.

But in a sport in which the power of hands counts more than footwork, Antonio Tarver was easily the better man.

Tarver retained his International Boxing Federation light-heavyweight title with a unanimous 116-112, 117-111, 117-111 victory before a frenzied sellout crowd at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Thrown to boxing's scrap heap after two stunning knockouts, Jones managed one final push to solidify his legacy as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters of this generation, but it was much more style than substance. Dancing, tongue-lashing, and mocking Tarver throughout the night, perhaps Jones thought that he could win on perception alone.

But Tarver -- who mostly stayed composed during all of Jones' shenanigans -- threw the most effective punches, particularly when he backed Jones against the ropes.

"Roy was sharp tonight," Tarver said. "We were playing chess all around. It was a chess game. One mistake, and I'm checkmate."

Tarver's dominance was reflected in the CompuBox numbers. He threw 620 punches to Jones' 320, and landed 158 (Jones had 85). Tarver had the edge in power punches, 107-74.

Tarver's strongest round of the 12-round bout was the 11th , drilling Jones with a series of blows -- starting with a sharp left hook -- before almost falling through the ropes trying to finish Jones with a flurry. Both fighters appeared exhausted by the end of the round.

"I realize I lost the fight," Jones said. "I'm not the kind of fighter who is going to go in and rumble with him like [Glen] Johnson did."

At 36, Jones (49-4, 38 knockouts) faces an uncertain future having lost three consecutive fights. Tarver (24-3, 18 KOs) now has won two of three matchups with Jones, including a crushing second-round knockout loss in May 2004.

The perception going into the fight weighed heavily against Jones. He had been beaten badly in his past two fights, the most recent a stunning ninth-round knockout by Johnson on Sept. 25, 2004.Jones fell on his back, his legs taut and raised from the canvas, as referee Bill Clancy counted him out. He lay motionless for several minutes.

There would be none of that Saturday, though Jones clearly didn't have much beyond a spring in his step.

After four monotonous rounds, Jones had his strongest round in the fifth, scoring with a series of uppercuts followed by a right.

But as the fight settled into its rhythm, it was Tarver who constantly landed the most effective shots when he backed Jones against the ropes.

"Give the man credit where credit is due," Tarver said. "He was beaten by a better fighter. I am one of the best fighters in the world."

Despite living in Tampa these days, Tarver was clearly not the hometown favorite. Jones got the biggest rise from a sellout crowd of 20,095, including Michael Jordan.

Jones wore an all-black robe as he stepped into the ring first, followed by Tarver, who lightly brushed up against Jones after climbing though the ropes.

There would be much more effective brushes later in the evening.

"It was hard to go out like I did after getting knocked out two times, but I'm satisfied with my performance tonight," Jones said. "We can do it again."
=======================

Talking to a mate of mine from America, he gave me a round by round commentary on msn, he reckons Jones didnt even really try there tonight. Reckons it was all just one big pay day. This lad is a huge Jones fan as well, id have to see it for myself though. Dissapointed Jones still wants to fight on, i dont see the point myself like. He wants Tarver then Johnson again. He could end up like Holyfield, and that would be really sad to see. I remember when Jones looked unbeatable, always sad to see greats lose it. Where would any of you rank Jones in the top pound for pound fighters of all time?

In Other news, James Toney won tonight as well, Scores were 117-111 and 119-109 twice for Toney, who retains his fringe IBA heavyweight crown. It was Toney’s first bout since serving a suspension for testing positive for a banned substance after an April win over WBA heavyweight champ John Ruiz (a win later changed to a no contest by the New York State Athletic Commission).
---------------------

Opinions on Toney as well?

Right, off to bed :P

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 2, 2005, 08:02:33 am »
Seen some highlights: Jones just looked tired, as you'd expect of someone of his age: kept on showboating though. When fighters reach their sell-by date, that's really it, and sometimes it comes right in the middle of a fight. Jones reached his when Tarver monstered him in their second fight, but its probable RJJ had been on the slide for quite a while before then. I too hope Jones rests on his not insignificant laurels, and hangs up the gloves: we've seen what happens to those that don't. That Jones can still get such a massive payday for being at least 2 years past his sell by date tells you alot about the current state of boxing in the higher divisions.

Toney vs Vitali: that is one fight I definitely want to see. Knowing how boxing works, though, they probably wont fight one another until both are hasbeens 10 years from now. 

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: October 2, 2005, 06:38:02 pm »
Both fighters last night were 36 but jones would have more fights,watchen the fight last night as a Jones fan i wanted to  see him beat by the end.Jones didn't come to win a fight butr to not get knocked out,and tarver gave him way to much respect.Jones dancing round the ring sticking his tounge out really turned the crowd on him.As for where does Jones go from here?? hopefully home to look after his rousters and leave the fighting to them,all he can do by going on is tarnish a great career.As for the question pound for pound they are words thrown about way to easy these days you had Hopkins, PBF ,Roy and so on  at the moment my best pound for pound goes to Winky Wright.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 3, 2005, 02:42:07 am »
Take your point about Tarver's age: some fighters just lose it much earlier than others. RJJ been around for a lot longer than Tarver: that is really starting to show in the last few fights. 

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: October 3, 2005, 02:44:57 am »
Take your point about Tarver's age: some fighters just lose it much earlier than others. RJJ been around for a lot longer than Tarver: that is really starting to show in the last few fights. 
Oh i totally agree with you

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #190 on: October 3, 2005, 05:31:21 pm »
Won VIP Tickets for the Junior World Championships on Oct 18th, should be a cracking night, anyone else going?

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 7, 2005, 11:01:36 pm »
Corrales vs Castillo 2  tommorrow! Cant wait for this one, just hope it can be half as good as the first! Dont know why but I fancy Castillo to win it this time. Just got a feeling, i dont care really one way or the other. Just want to see another classic.  :wave

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 8, 2005, 04:31:22 am »
Corrales vs Castillo 2  tommorrow! Cant wait for this one, just hope it can be half as good as the first! Dont know why but I fancy Castillo to win it this time. Just got a feeling, i dont care really one way or the other. Just want to see another classic.  :wave

Castillo didn't make weight: the fight is going ahead but its now a non-title fight. Corrales gets the title by default. Certainly takes the edge of this bout.

Junior Witter looks like he's lining up the Pretty Boy at 140. All I can say is: good luck!! You'll be needing it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/4313770.stm

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: October 8, 2005, 05:14:39 am »
Fucking hell, he didnt make the weight? How much was he over it? Still hope we get a good fight like.

Witter vs Floyd? I think Witter is awkward as fuck to fight, Id fancy him to give Hatton a good run for his money but I dont think he'll be a problem for Mayweather. He might match him in the shit talking department though ;D

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 8, 2005, 06:09:06 am »
Yes: Junior's jaw would still be moving even if he'd been knocked out! All fun 'n games.

Yeah, I was looking forward to Corrales v Castillo: going to be a pretty empty fight now with nothing on the line.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 9, 2005, 03:31:42 am »
Under card paquai jr got a bit of a duabious decision (spell check)

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 9, 2005, 05:20:04 am »
Good win for Castillo, he looked sharp, Corrales just got caught soundly i thought, the next fight should be a belter,i would have to err on the side of Castillo to get the title though.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: October 9, 2005, 05:37:03 am »
Ya good solid punch but i had the feeling from the start it would turn out this way. Was he really going to take a beating with nothing at stake?? castello had it all to prove and look for a shot at the title.How a contender doesn't make the weight is beyond belief. Or were the cards laid out??

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: October 9, 2005, 06:14:48 am »
It's all a blag as usual, this was always going to a third fight, i think Castillo has to much for him though..certainly looked stronger and quicker tonight.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 9, 2005, 09:02:10 am »
Castillo was far too strong for him tonight, that was his plan all along though. Dont expect to see him fight at lightweight again, hes more of a light welter. I enjoyed it though, was another good fight. Nothing will live up to the first one like. Corrales was reckless, thats how he ended up getting caught. What a shot it was that put him down though, he was never going to get up his legs collapsed from under him.

A third fight will be great, ill look forward to it  :wave