Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 344149 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #1240 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:51 pm »
Yes, they play City and then Swansea. City play 2 games as do Arsenal.

Come our game with Watford, the picture will be a lot clearer.

Ah thanks for that avoided looking at the moment.  :-[
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #1241 on: April 23, 2017, 11:30:23 pm »
If city draw 3 of those I'll buy you some pints. They'll win 4 or 5 of the non derby games and we should probably hope they muller United

After today's performance I can genuinely see City fucking it up somewhere along the line. It's the United, Palace and Leicester games I can see them drawing. They were pretty abject today against an ordinary Arsenal team. I'd laugh my bollocks off if they mess it up; in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if us and United got the CL spots. Of course, we have to do our job first and foremost!! Any more fuck ups and the rest is moot.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1242 on: April 23, 2017, 11:34:27 pm »
After our last defeat we went 7 games unbeaten, hopefully we go another 4, and we get at least 3 wins out of it.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1243 on: April 23, 2017, 11:35:26 pm »
People forget we are Liverpool. We never do anything the easy way. Even when we were really, really good. Keep the faith.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1244 on: April 23, 2017, 11:35:41 pm »
Forget City, they're not involved in the conversation. That's a piss easy schedule. Their attack will take care of the easier games and they'll get 3rd.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1245 on: April 23, 2017, 11:35:57 pm »
After today's performance I can genuinely see City fucking it up somewhere along the line. It's the United, Palace and Leicester games I can see them drawing. They were pretty abject today against an ordinary Arsenal team. I'd laugh my bollocks off if they mess it up; in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if us and United got the CL spots. Of course, we have to do our job first and foremost!! Any more fuck ups and the rest is moot.

A semi final agaisnt a highly motivated top 6 team is in no way analogous to their remaining fixture. City still have the most effective attack in the league and it would be hard to construct an easier run in. It's us vs united for 4th now in all likelihood

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #1246 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:17 pm »
There be twists and turns up ahead for sure.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:23 pm »
People forget we are Liverpool. We never do anything the easy way. Even when we were really, really good. Keep the faith.

We've never done it the easy way recently, and that has resulted in every season turning into failure. It's not like we've never done it the easy way, and for it to end up all being a happy ending.

That's the worry.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1248 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »
With all due respects, all I care about next season is challenging for the league.

Will be nigh on impossible having to play that cup.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: April 23, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »

Can we at least see if we can get Champions League first?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: April 23, 2017, 11:41:26 pm »

Its not impossible if we decide to sign some players. Thats unless we decide to gamble again waiting on an answer from Pulisic.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1251 on: April 23, 2017, 11:43:32 pm »
That's the worry.
This time we have a proven winner as our manager and the best midfielder in the league is back next week just in time. I can see us playing really good again which will go a long way helping us getting over the line. Utd is long overdue a loss which might happen on Thursday and we'll be back in the driving seat again.

Offline Bill Lacey

• Main Stander
  • With a Liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #1252 on: April 23, 2017, 11:44:57 pm »
This time we have a proven winner as our manager and the best midfielder in the league is back next week just in time. I can see us playing really good again which will go a long way helping us getting over the line. Utd is long overdue a loss which might happen on Thursday and we'll be back in the driving seat again.

Lallana?

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: April 23, 2017, 11:53:30 pm »
Think people are sleeping on Arsenal a bit, if they win their games in hand that goal difference advantage would likely be theirs! In fact they could wipe it out in one game v Sunderland!!They look pretty crap but can get on a roll sometimes.  Need a Spurs favour on the weekend for a bit of space.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: April 23, 2017, 11:54:24 pm »

I think we will finish just short of fourth but this week is the defining week.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: April 23, 2017, 11:58:22 pm »
we are around 1/2 for top 4, you can profit off your misery there

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: April 24, 2017, 12:00:53 am »
we are around 1/2 for top 4, you can profit off your misery there

No chance would i bet money against my team.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1257 on: April 24, 2017, 12:01:45 am »

United or City will definitely drop points, then will have to both play again and level off the games played before we kick a ball. Hoping for a great bank holiday weekend :)
:D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: April 24, 2017, 12:03:58 am »
Arsenals next 5 are Leicester (H), Spurs (A), Man United (H), Southampton (A), Stoke (A)

First three in particular are very tricky, stoke away is a bogey fixture for them too.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: April 24, 2017, 12:05:47 am »
United or City will definitely drop points, then will have to both play again and level off the games played before we kick a ball. Hoping for a great bank holiday weekend :)

They will drop points but I am more concerned about us. We have zero options and really only 1 player coming back and the players are really at their limits physically. I think we will get maybe 72 points but that may be a bit short for fourth.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1260 on: April 24, 2017, 12:13:16 am »
For what it's worth Midlesbro, W.Ham and Watford all look extremely putrid in front of the goal these days. They don't have a Benteke in their team nor is their form anywhere near the recent form of palace. Their form is more on the level of two teams we've beaten away prior to today. If we hold our nerve I can see us doing well in these games.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1261 on: April 24, 2017, 12:14:38 am »

I would. Whatever is going to happen, will happen anyway. You might as well have some money at the end of it if the worst case scenario does happen.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #1262 on: April 24, 2017, 12:21:42 am »
City have an easy run, even though they're not playing that well their firepower will get them 3rd

As for us - I see 4 points from Watford + Southampton, one of these games will end in a frustrating draw. A defeat or a point at West Ham while Boro is as sure a banker win as you can get = 73 or 74 points

Utd have - CITY draw or loss, Swansea win, ARSENAL draw or win, SPURS draw or loss, SOUTHAMPTON win or draw, Palace win. I see Utd getting around 75 points.

Today's defeat really was a season destroyer.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: April 24, 2017, 02:00:12 am »
Lightweight

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #1264 on: April 24, 2017, 02:02:10 am »
In previous moments, i said some things like "ignore the rivals and the opposition, let the LFC players do the job themselves, they have to show up". Well, let's get that out of the way and look at hypothetical scenarios, which were always going to come, right?

Let's say City, ignoring their match midweek, will probably go on to win their last few fixtures, giving them 79 points plus whatever they get midweek. You could expect them to drop a few points here and there, but let's be a bit pessimistic on this one

We have 4 games that, on paper, we should win them all. Let's optimistically say we win 3 out of four and one of the results we ignore due to our inconsistent nature. We'll be on 75 + x.

Manchester United, ignoring the City match midweek, let's give them 2 draws against tough sides like Spurs and Arsenal, while they get wins for the other 3 games against somewhat weak opposition. It gets them 74 plus whatever they get from the City game.

Arsenal should win every game apart from Spurs (A) and United (H) where i'll give them draws. They'll be on 74 points

This brief and impromptu analysis tells me that the real game-changer for getting us top 4 is.......... Us. Our squad of inconsistent footballers must find their positive moment to pull of 3 or 4 wins out of 4 games. The games are easy on paper, but it doesn't work like this with this team.

Also, i must state that the City x United game could prove to be the other game changer, City win and overtake us, but it cancells out the points United made on us after the defeat against Palace... somewhat

The change is cast

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1265 on: April 24, 2017, 02:23:16 am »
In previous moments, i said some things like "ignore the rivals and the opposition, let the LFC players do the job themselves, they have to show up". Well, let's get that out of the way and look at hypothetical scenarios, which were always going to come, right?

Let's say City, ignoring their match midweek, will probably go on to win their last few fixtures, giving them 79 points plus whatever they get midweek. You could expect them to drop a few points here and there, but let's be a bit pessimistic on this one

We have 4 games that, on paper, we should win them all. Let's optimistically say we win 3 out of four and one of the results we ignore due to our inconsistent nature. We'll be on 75 + x.

Manchester United, ignoring the City match midweek, let's give them 2 draws against tough sides like Spurs and Arsenal, while they get wins for the other 3 games against somewhat weak opposition. It gets them 74 plus whatever they get from the City game.

Arsenal should win every game apart from Spurs (A) and United (H) where i'll give them draws. They'll be on 74 points

This brief and impromptu analysis tells me that the real game-changer for getting us top 4 is.......... Us. Our squad of inconsistent footballers must find their positive moment to pull of 3 or 4 wins out of 4 games. The games are easy on paper, but it doesn't work like this with this team.

Also, i must state that the City x United game could prove to be the other game changer, City win and overtake us, but it cancells out the points United made on us after the defeat against Palace... somewhat

Whatever happens, if we don't make it, it will be our own doing and it will highlight the decision(not sure who's decision) to go into the season with such a small squad.

Offline gb096

• Anny Roader
  • In Sunny Brisbane
« Reply #1266 on: April 24, 2017, 03:36:50 am »
It is gong to be tight and it is not our hands after the defeat to Palace. It is not over and there will be twists and turns. Man Utd have momentum at the moment, they could go and win all their games, don't think they will, I see 3 draws. The big question is can we win our remaining 4 games. We need CL football to attract the big names to inprove our squad. Also the owners will spend more with CL money coming in the door. Big 4 games coming up.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #1267 on: April 24, 2017, 03:56:54 am »
Which one? FA, League, Champions league? Milk cup?

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: April 24, 2017, 04:00:18 am »
Plenty still to play for. 4th is not completely in our hands anymore but all that we can do is win the next 4 games and hope other results will be favorable to us. Keep the faith
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1269 on: April 24, 2017, 05:17:24 am »
Three transfer windows and we start Lucas who although is a great professional is not at the level required to compete for top 4. James Milner as a left back, and a bench thats average age has to be around 20, and less than 10 premier league starts combined. THREE TRANSFER WINDOWS. Its just inexcusable.
Seen us win everything

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1270 on: April 24, 2017, 05:19:01 am »
Three transfer windows and we start Lucas who although is a great professional is not at the level required to compete for top 4. James Milner as a left back, and a bench thats average age has to be around 20, and less than 10 premier league starts combined. THREE TRANSFER WINDOWS. Its just inexcusable.

Well apparently klopp was happy with the squad so it's on him I guess

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1271 on: April 24, 2017, 05:24:10 am »
Well apparently klopp was happy with the squad so it's on him I guess
I dont care who its on, its just inexcusable. At the beginning of the season Klopp insisted on going all out for every competition. How do you do that, with no recognizable goal scorer, and no bench?
Seen us win everything

Offline Day1983

• Main Stander
« Reply #1272 on: April 24, 2017, 05:33:47 am »
I dont care who its on, its just inexcusable. At the beginning of the season Klopp insisted on going all out for every competition. How do you do that, with no recognizable goal scorer, and no bench?

Hey, I agree with you mate. It looks like a massive mistake by all involved at the club. We didn't recruit enough last summer and/or we got rid of too many. Hopefully it doesn't cost us.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #1273 on: April 24, 2017, 06:10:20 am »
I have been very harsh on us here, having us slip up again against Southampton and West Ham. I've been generous to both United and Arsenal.

I've given Arsenal an undefeated run in with 5 wins from 7 and they're still only level with our stuttering run in with 74 points. Goal difference? We're currently 5 ahead.

I've given United draws at Spurs and at City. I've given them wins in tricky games at Southampton and at home to Palace. Their only loss will be at Arsenal. Even if they achieve this optimistic run in, they will only finish level with our pessimistic run in on 74 points. Goal difference? We're currently just 2 ahead!

I have also assumed City will be finishing top 4.

Liverpool fixtures:                             

Watford (A) - win

Southampton (H) - draw

West Ham (A) - draw

Middlesboro (H) - win

Total: 74 points

Man United fixtures:

Man City (A) - draw

Swansea (H) - win

Arsenal (away) - loss  (after European semi)

Tottenham (away) - draw

Southampton (away) - win

Palace (home) - win

Arsenal fixtures:

Leicester (H) - win

Spurs (A) - draw

United (H) - win

Southampton (A) - draw

Stoke (A) - win

Sunderland (H) - win

Everton (H) - win

The moral of the story? Even if we fuck up two games we should still get top 4. If we drop points in one game it should be relatively comfortable. If we win 4 from 4 we're on our way.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Red78

• Main Stander
  • One bird for life.
« Reply #1274 on: April 24, 2017, 07:27:14 am »
If we win 4 from 4 is a big IF. The only game i can see us getting 3 points in is our last home game. I can see us losing to Watford and Saints. This is the part of the season you always need an emergency bottle of JD next to you.

Offline Red78

• Main Stander
  • One bird for life.
« Reply #1275 on: April 24, 2017, 07:30:21 am »
One last thing. What is the best outcome of City vs Utd for us?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: April 24, 2017, 07:42:36 am »

City winning. Very little to no chance finishing 3rd now. Anything that helps us scrape to 4th will do.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1277 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:48 am »

Before I would have said a draw, now maybe a City win I'd go for, I think United have the trickier games to the end of the season.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1278 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:05 am »
City winning. Very little to no chance finishing 3rd now. Anything that helps us scrape to 4th will do.

'Very little to no chance' is entirely dependant on the Manchester Derby though rather than some divine intervention.

If United get a draw at City then it really turns into 4 teams fighting for 2 positions, a United win gives them a huge edge but drags City back further.

It'll probably go to the wire for everyone involved.
:D

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #1279 on: April 24, 2017, 08:14:24 am »
A City win in the derby would be brilliant for multiple reasons:

1) the undefeated run of United is finally broken, which is mentally extremely important for them
2) If United finally lose again, this whole "form" they are having of grinding out results might go to shit and with the injuries mounting, it could become a vicious cycle
3) football would win over some cynical shitefest
4) Guardiola would get one over Mourinho, which would satisfy pretty much everyone on a personal level
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.