Match 3: Klippity Klopp
9 (11.4%)
Match 4: Betty
10 (12.7%)
Match 4: Gerry
9 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: February 24, 2017, 08:49:49 pm

Author Topic: All-time Footballing Duos & Partnerships draft - Knockout Stages 1-4  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Welcome to the Duos & Partnerships draft where drafters were tasked with creating a team of players who had been in a partnership at one stage in their career - whether internationally or at club level. Obvious examples such as Torres & Gerrard or Hansen & Lawrenson.

Please judge the following teams and players on their ability as a partnership for the club and/or country they have played for together -

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Samie                                      V                                            4     

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rysoph76                                                    V                                           Hazell   

El Lobo                                            V                                               Klippity Klopp 

Betty                                                 V                               Gerry   

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: All-time Footballing Duos & Partnerships draft - Knockout Stages 1-4
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:55:53 pm »
I voted Samie, Hazell, El Lobo and Betty. Fixture 3 was the toughest to call and i foolishly voted because it was Romario and Pele up top, now I remember the premise of the draft I would have opted for the Kaka and Shevchenko duo, sorry

I didn't know enough about 4 of Gerry's back 5 to pick his team, though from midfield  (+ Alves) and upwards it is immense.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:57:34 pm by ggcc14 »
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:57:25 pm »
I voted Samie, Hazell, El Lobo and Betty. Fixture 3 was the toughest to call and i foolishly voted because it was Romario and Pele up top, now I remember the premise of the draft I would have opted for the Kaka and Shevchenko duo, sorry

I didn't know enough about 4 of Gerry's back 5 to pick his team, though from midfield and upwards it is immense.

Nilton Santos is one of the best LBs ever and Zoff, Scirea and Gentile is the best back defensive partnership in the draft.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:57:56 pm »
I know of Zoff obviously, but i've never seen the other three play. Heard Gentile was fantastic but not seen it for myself.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »
It'll be so embarrassing if I lose to a patchwork team.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:59:50 pm »
Lad's don't be confused by the arrows.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:50 pm »
Why did no one pick Maradona and Caniggia by the way?  :butt Seems like such a fun draft, wish I had been involved

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02:55 pm »

All genuine partnerships, so he got my vote.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:04:47 pm »
All genuine partnerships, so he got my vote.
Which of Hazell's are not?

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:37 pm »
Which of Hazell's are not?

LB / RB
LW / RW

I don't consider full backs or wide players are partnerships, they rarely link during games.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 09:11:41 pm »
LB / RB
LW / RW

I don't consider full backs or wide players are partnerships, they rarely link during games.

Of course, you're welcome to vote however you choose. But the 'not genuine' line has nothing to do with this draft and no team should be put down for just going by the rules. We could have solved all this at the start, but no-one spoke up then, so these are all acceptable partnerships.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 09:13:28 pm »
Of course, you're welcome to vote however you choose.

Yeah just explaining why I voted the way I did.

I'm sure one of the teams that didn't go down that route will win. 

Your team is interesting as it is a mixture of both.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 09:13:43 pm »
Why did no one pick Maradona and Caniggia by the way?  :butt Seems like such a fun draft, wish I had been involved

Careca and Maradona was THE pick if anyone wanted to go there.

Especially one that you helped put together :D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:57 pm »
Especially one that you helped put together :D

Losing without losing.

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »
Careca and Maradona was THE pick if anyone wanted to go there.

More of a trio than a duo, plus they done it together both internationally and domestically, i'd absolutely have had those two up top as my pick.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 09:26:16 pm »
Yeah just explaining why I voted the way I did.

I'm sure one of the teams that didn't go down that route will win. 

Your team is interesting as it is a mixture of both.

Sound. Just don't like it being a stick to beat people with, as it's not really those guys fault since they just followed the rules.

Yeah, I think I was the only one to create cross partnerships in the attack with Figo from the right linking to Zidane in the centre, and Ronaldinho on the left linking to Eto'o up top. Leaving me with just the fullbacks to link up separately. Seems I've split the voters as well as my attack  :D

In case anyone's forgotten how great Figo and Zizou were together here's an awesome video that swung me into picking them in that first round -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q7Non1hA5V0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q7Non1hA5V0</a>

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:20 pm »
Yeah, I think I was the only one to create cross partnerships in the attack with Figo from the right linking to Zidane in the centre, and Ronaldinho on the left linking to Eto'o up top. Leaving me with just the fullbacks to link up separately. Seems I've split the voters as well as my attack  :D

Seems harsh how Gerry changed Messi / Suarez (replacing with Alves).  Then you have Zidane / Figo & Eto'o / Ronaldinho.

But I guess Gerry wasn't made to change it. 

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 09:36:35 pm »
Seems harsh how Gerry changed Messi / Suarez (replacing with Alves).  Then you have Zidane / Figo & Eto'o / Ronaldinho.

But I guess Gerry wasn't made to change it. 

Messi was a kid when Eto'o and Ronaldinho played with him. Those two were the kings back then. I never really had a huge problem with Gerry's pick to be honest, he just needed to make sure he had another player in their to substitute for Neymar in a later pick. Anyway, let's not open this can of worms again. It almost caused a draft meltdown last time.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 10:20:48 pm »
Remember a win for Samie is a win for attacking football and world peace.  I give the people what they want.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 10:24:28 pm »
LB / RB
LW / RW

Well if we are going there mate, your Overmars-Van Bronckhorst combo is a big stretch. Arthur Numan was Netherlands main left back during the late 90's and early 00's, which was the time Overmars was a main fixture for them, and in his prime. I think Van Bronckhorst won the spot after the 2002 WC qualification debacle, and by then Overmars was pretty much finished and not a starter (he retired in 2004). I would be surprised if they started more than 15-20 games together.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 10:28:35 pm »
Well if we are going there mate, your Overmars-Van Bronckhorst combo is a big stretch. Arthur Numan was Netherlands main left back during the late 90's and early 00's, which was the time Overmars was a main fixture for them, and in his prime. I think Van Bronckhorst won the spot after the 2002 WC qualification debacle, and by then Overmars was pretty much finished and not a starter (he retired in 2004). I would be surprised if they started more than 15-20 games together.

I did some research on them before picking.

They were at Barca together as well as Holland.

They didn't play years together, but they certainly played together, so we're a partnership.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 10:31:59 pm »

They didn't play years together, but they certainly played together, so we're a partnership.
yeah but you can't have both - either you pick the international partnership or the club one
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 10:34:26 pm »
yeah but you can't have both - either you pick the international partnership or the club one

Given they are the same players, I really don't think it matters.

But they are in Holland colours.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:38:22 pm by Klippity Klopp »

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 10:48:05 pm »
Given they are the same players, I really don't think it matters.

But they are in Holland colours.

I thought they were playing for Portugal  ;D

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:49 pm »
I thought they were playing for Portugal  ;D

Haha!

Well yeah, I couldn't find an orange kit.  ;D

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 11:07:08 pm »

They were together for one season at Barca, Overmar's final and injury plagued one before retirement, where he mostly warming the bench (when healthy) as there was a certain Ronaldinho playing on the left. If you think that constitutes a partnership good for you.

They barely played together for Netherlands as I already told you, and the fact that you had to do "research" shows that you probably didn't had a good recollection of them playing together, which is understandable as they barely did. Just because they were on the same squads doesn't mean they were on the pitch together, let alone form a partnership.

Look mate, I'm fine with you picking whatever partnership you want, this is supposedly to be fun after all, but I find it ironic to read you complaining about "real" partnerships when you picked such a stretch of one in your team.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:05 pm »
None of you can match the Overath/ Holzenbein partnership of the German team of the early 70's.  8)

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 11:30:13 pm »
They were together for one season at Barca, Overmar's final and injury plagued one before retirement, where he mostly warming the bench (when healthy) as there was a certain Ronaldinho playing on the left. If you think that constitutes a partnership good for you.

They barely played together for Netherlands as I already told you, and the fact that you had to do "research" shows that you probably didn't had a good recollection of them playing together, which is understandable as they barely did. Just because they were on the same squads doesn't mean they were on the pitch together, let alone form a partnership.

Look mate, I'm fine with you picking whatever partnership you want, this is supposedly to be fun after all, but I find it ironic to read you complaining about "real" partnerships when you picked such a stretch of one in your team.

I did research it because yes, I wasn't sure.

But I found that they did play together & combined.

I wanted plenty of other Left Back & Left Wingers over them but couldn't select them as people did the cheesy LB / RB & LW / RW combos.

I agree they aren't the best left sides duo in the draft. But they did at least play together & formed a partnership. Which is something I looked forwhen picking my full backs & wide players.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:31:45 pm by Klippity Klopp »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 11:40:24 pm »
That third match is fairly titanic. I just gave it to El Lobo (at least I think I did, hard to tell with the layout!). Went for 4, Hazell and Betty in the others. Very high standard in all sides though I have to say.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 12:07:46 am »
I did research it because yes, I wasn't sure.

But I found that they did play together & combined.

I wanted plenty of other Left Back & Left Wingers over them but couldn't select them as people did the cheesy LB / RB & LW / RW combos.

I agree they aren't the best left sides duo in the draft. But they did at least play together & formed a partnership. Which is something I looked forwhen picking my full backs & wide players.
I understand your point mate, but this a DUOS and partnerships draft, so it's really harsh to call those picks as 'cheesy' as they're more than valids picks giving the rules of the draft, they were even strongly encouraged at the start of the draft by Betty the dictator.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:10:48 am by Lastrador »

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 12:17:57 am »
I understand your point mate, but this a DUOS and partnerships draft, so it's really harsh to call those picks as 'cheesy' as they're more than valids picks giving the rules of the draft, they were even strongly encouraged at the start of the draft by Betty the dictator.  ;D

Yeah I guess as I suggested the idea it wasn't really what I had in mind & that's why I mention it & judge it that way.

But we'll all vote in different ways. :)

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:07 am »
Samie, Hazell, Lobo, Gerry.  Some tight matches here.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 02:55:29 pm »
Just noticed I voted for someone in the last match but it didn't register for some reason, that's why there's one missing in that one.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 04:40:43 pm »
Bump.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 05:05:15 pm »
Tight as fuck this.

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 08:30:19 pm »
 :rollseyes

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 08:53:50 pm »
No idea how to deal with that draw! I'm out tonight anyway, so the next matches will go up tomorrow.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 08:55:01 pm »
Congrats Betty. Thought I had a really good team there  :( Strong partnerships all over the pitch.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 08:56:55 pm »
I raise the white flag. Let 4  go through.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 09:00:21 pm »
Congrats Betty. Thought I had a really good team there  :( Strong partnerships all over the pitch.

One vote. Very cruel! Perhaps the Chelsea/City bias didn't help. Who knows. Could've gone either way easily.