Author Topic: All-time Footballing Duos & Partnerships draft - Discussion Thread  (Read 18374 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: All-time Footballing Duos & Partnerships draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2017, 06:21:31 pm »
Agh, this is bollocks
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2017, 06:26:15 pm »
Oops wrong thread

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2017, 06:27:02 pm »
Messi and Suarez is an interesting one!

For me Suarez was a better play with us and equally Messi was a better player back in the early 10s when partnered with Villa. It was when those two played together that Messi hit his first 50 goals in a season, winning the CL with goals from him and Villa in the final too. The following season he scored the insane 73 and the next one 60 all alongside Villa. He then dipped a bit after he left. Him a Suarez are obviously incredible together, but still slightly disappointing not to see him with Villa.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2017, 06:27:19 pm »
Agh, this is bollocks

Guessing this is aimed at me for picking Messi and Suarez  :) Messi is still by far the best player in the World and Suarez has been ridiculous since joining Barcelona. It won't be the cheesiest pick in this draft, not by a long shot. In fact, there have already been worse picks in my opinion.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2017, 06:29:51 pm »
Messi and Suarez is an interesting one!

For me Suarez was a better play with us and equally Messi was a better player back in the early 10s when partnered with Villa. It was when those two played together that Messi hit his first 50 goals in a season, winning the CL with goals from him and Villa in the final too. The following season he scored the insane 73 and the next one 60 all alongside Villa. He then dipped a bit after he left. Him a Suarez are obviously incredible together, but still slightly disappointing not to see him with Villa.

I disagree on Suarez , I think he's definitely better at Barcelona, mainly because he has Messi and Neymar flanking him rather than Sterling and Sturridge. Suarez assists and goals at Barca are off the charts. Messi is in a slight decline but that's cause he's now sharing the goals and assists around.

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:08 pm »
Decided to build a team of my favourites that I've seen play and loved watching rather than classic picks who I've only seen clips of!

Probably won't be the best team in the draft cos of it, but I'll like it  ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2017, 06:33:03 pm »
Guessing this is aimed at me for picking Messi and Suarez  :) Messi is still by far the best player in the World and Suarez has been ridiculous since joining Barcelona. It won't be the cheesiest pick in this draft, not by a long shot. In fact, there have already been worse picks in my opinion.

It was more aimed at you picking that Italian defence. Best in the draft.

Don't know how I feel about Messi and Suarez alone as they tend to combine as three along with Neymar. Still, it's a combination and I wasn't expecting anyone to pick Shearer and Sutton just because they played as a two.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »
Crap.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2017, 06:39:22 pm »
Do I PM Greatness now?

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2017, 06:39:55 pm »
Let's get this shit moving, people.  I'm off out in a bit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2017, 06:40:53 pm »
Do I PM Greatness now?

Yeah he'll get an hour.

Let's get this shit moving, people.  I'm off out in a bit.

You can PM your pick if you want...

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2017, 06:41:06 pm »
I disagree on Suarez , I think he's definitely better at Barcelona, mainly because he has Messi and Neymar flanking him rather than Sterling and Sturridge. Suarez assists and goals at Barca are off the charts. Messi is in a slight decline but that's cause he's now sharing the goals and assists around.

You'd be wrong then  ;D

Seriously though, I've had this discussion a few times on here. This is not a rose tinted view. I'm not talking about stats and I know he's receiving much more acclaim worldwide now, but somehow he was just more explosive when he was with us. Perhaps due to freedom that Rodgers afforded him or even because he was the player everyone looked to in that side. He's still brilliant at Barca and perhaps more clinical than ever, but I do feel he's had to curb part of his wildness to fit into that frontline and the club's philosophy. In 13/14 he had that rare quality you see in few players that allowed him to not only create moments of absolutely mind-bending sublime all by himself, but to lift everyone around him to extraordinary levels as well.

Of course he's got better players around him now. But I would take the animalistic wild Suarez of Liverpool over this one all day. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough for me. Stats-wise it's also important to bear in mind that the Spanish league is extremely poor beyond the top 5-6 teams. It's massacre for goals and assists down there.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2017, 06:44:46 pm »
You'd be wrong then  ;D

Seriously though, I've had this discussion a few times on here. This is not a rose tinted view. I'm not talking about stats and I know he's receiving much more acclaim worldwide now, but somehow he was just more explosive when he was with us. Perhaps due to freedom that Rodgers afforded him or even because he was the player everyone looked to in that side. He's still brilliant at Barca and perhaps more clinical than ever, but I do feel he's had to curb part of his wildness to fit into that frontline and the club's philosophy. In 13/14 he had that rare quality you see in few players that allowed him to not only create moments of absolutely mind-bending sublime all by himself, but to lift everyone around him to extraordinary levels as well.

Of course he's got better players around him now. But I would take the animalistic wild Suarez of Liverpool over this one all day. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough for me. Stats-wise it's also important to bear in mind that the Spanish league is extremely poor beyond the top 5-6 teams. It's massacre for goals and assists down there.

I understand what you mean about Suarez and that edge at Liverpool, but I think it's because he literally had to do all the heavy lifting by himself up front. Sure Sturridge and Sterling chipped it, but it was 90% of the time it was Suarez making things happen. Now it's Suarez , Neymar and Messi feeding off each other equally. For a player on their own i'd definitely take a lone Suarez at Liverpool but in a duo combination Suarez and Messi trumps Villa and Messi.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2017, 06:46:00 pm »
Personally I think if you go for a Suarez / Messi combo then you need the three.

They do not play in a front two, they play in a three so you need the other one who compliments them.

I don't really see how two full backs or two wide players are a partnership.  They can be part of a team that wins. But they don't combine or link together anymore than a left back or striker would.  That's why I'm going for a RB / RW that combined together & a CB / GK that were very much a partnership.

But in the voting I suspect we'll all have different things we'll look for.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2017, 06:46:50 pm »
surely if he gets someone similar to Neymar's ability it wont matter?
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
You can PM your pick if you want...

Ta.  PM'd.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2017, 06:49:18 pm »
I understand what you mean about Suarez and that edge at Liverpool, but I think it's because he literally had to do all the heavy lifting by himself up front. Sure Sturridge and Sterling chipped it, but it was 90% of the time it was Suarez making things happen. Now it's Suarez , Neymar and Messi feeding off each other equally. For a player on their own i'd definitely take a lone Suarez at Liverpool but in a duo combination Suarez and Messi trumps Villa and Messi.

I'm not talking about the combination here though. I was simply stating that he was a better player at Liverpool. No way I'd have picked Sturridge and Suarez over Messi and Suarez, but equally I think there are better unpicked combinations out there that I'd like to have seen picked first. Just disappoints me slightly as the point of the draft is great partnerships or duos, and these two are really a part of a great trio.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2017, 06:50:05 pm »
surely if he gets someone similar to Neymar's ability it wont matter?

He got to pick twice he could have got Neymar & they'd be no discussion.

I guess we'll see when he's finished.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »
I don't really see how two full backs or two wide players are a partnership.  They can be part of a team that wins. But they don't combine or link together anymore than a left back or striker would.  That's why I'm going for a RB / RW that combined together & a CB / GK that were very much a partnership.

That's why I named the draft great partnerships AND duos. The obvious one being Robben and Ribery. They must have rarely linked up together in play, but they're always talked about together as a great duo.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »

Couldn't pick Neymar too as you can only have 2 or more duos from one team if they played in a different era.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2017, 06:53:43 pm »

but why does it have to be Neymar? i don't get it.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2017, 06:55:27 pm »
That's why I named the draft great partnerships AND duos. The obvious one being Robben and Ribery. They must have rarely linked up together in play, but they're always talked about together as a great duo.

It's the same with Fullback combinations, I could name quite a few that formed a great partnership as such.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2017, 06:56:09 pm »

It doesn't, it could be anyone. I think the point is we can't judge Suarez and Messi as a partnership as such, because they always play in a trio.

I considered banning 433 for this reason....

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2017, 06:58:58 pm »

Fair enough. I want to remember where players linked up together & had chemistry. I can see your thinking though.

Couldn't pick Neymar too as you can only have 2 or more duos from one team if they played in a different era.

Ah OK.

Who else played with those two to complete the trio?!

I guess you think it's fine just having the two. Personally I think they are two of a trio. There is a reason why they weren't picked earlier. Anyway if I'm in the minority that will reflect in the voting.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:13 pm »
It doesn't, it could be anyone. I think the point is we can't judge Suarez and Messi as a partnership as such, because they always play in a trio.

I considered banning 433 for this reason....

Picking Messi and Suarez isn't any different to picking Alonso and Masch in my opinion.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:35 pm »
Who else played with those two to complete the trio?!

I guess you think it's fine just having the two. Personally I think they are two of a trio. There is a reason why they weren't picked earlier. Anyway if I'm in the minority that will reflect in the voting.
but it's a draft. Most of the players will have never played with each other (in regular drafts anyway) ... if he gets someone similar/better than neymar, then it's not that important that the 3rd player in the trio isn't neymar

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2017, 07:05:06 pm »
but it's a draft. Most of the players will have never played with each other (in regular drafts anyway) ... if he gets someone similar/better than neymar, then it's not that important that the 3rd player in the trio isn't neymar

If a draft about partnerships / duos - I think it's different as you want to see combinations through out the team based on what they did in real life.

You disagree, that's fine. But I will be judging on players who combined in the right roles & formation.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
Definitely should've banned 433. I only kept it in for Cruyff. I can see it being the ruin of this draft already.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2017, 07:06:31 pm »
Picking Messi and Suarez isn't any different to picking Alonso and Masch in my opinion.

Hmm, don't think that's the same thing. Alonso/Mascherano were always a duo and were always talked about as one whereas Barcelona clearly play in a front three. They're obviously great players, just they've always played in a three and that's how we know them.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2017, 07:08:17 pm »
Are you all okay with me swapping Suarez for Dani Alves to save all this?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:12 pm »
Are you all okay with me swapping Suarez for Dani Alves to save all this?

I think if you do that then I should straight out ban 433 to avoid this trios issue ever coming up again. Cruyff can play in a 4231 anyway.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »
What is this cheesy pick thing? Is it like you have to pick a duo which has been insanely good but is still abit hipster and under the radar? i don't follow.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »
Any objections to the Messi-Alves combo?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2017, 07:12:57 pm »
Any objections to the Messi-Alves combo?

No objection from me.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2017, 07:15:55 pm »
Changed it. Saw a stat last year that said Alves has assisted more of Messi's goals than any other player.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2017, 07:16:35 pm »
Changed it. Saw a stat last year that said Alves has assisted more of Messi's goals than any other player.
that's right also the most passes between two barcelona players was Messi and Alves for a couple of years on the bounce.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2017, 07:16:39 pm »
That means you've freed up someone to pick Suarez and a certain Spanish left back! What a duo they were

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2017, 07:17:22 pm »
That means you've freed up someone to pick Suarez and a certain Spanish left back! What a duo they were

Moreno hasn't played with Suarez has he?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2017, 07:17:52 pm »

Great duo. No arguments here  ;D

433 is now officially banned too. Let's not see this trio thing come up again.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2017, 07:18:19 pm »
What is this cheesy pick thing? Is it like you have to pick a duo which has been insanely good but is still abit hipster and under the radar? i don't follow.

Read this page, to answer that.

Think Alves / Messi is better. Still not sure how you play Messi not in a 4-3-3, given it's all he has played for Barca.  But if everyone is happy, then fair enough.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:22:08 pm by Klippity Klopp »