Author Topic: Spanish Football  (Read 586089 times)

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
Re: Spanish Football 2016/2017
« Reply #1840 on: April 24, 2017, 03:36:29 am »
Hudson is an occasional treat, to be enjoyed in moderation. I can quickly grow sick of him, like I would eating too many sweets, but when everything sets up right, and the passion is genuine (rather than overplayed schtick) and the material properly funny and joyful, yeah, alright. Just a nibble though, don't outstay your welcome Ray  ;D

I find myself bored after 10 minutes.  An entire game, can become tiresome.   Season after season of La Liga with this tw@t spouting weird metaphors (on repeat!) and making weird sounds is Chinese torture.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #1841 on: April 24, 2017, 04:16:03 am »
Wow, what a game and what a finish to the game.

Shame I didn't manage to see it live but after the disappointment of watching us lose after finishing work and then seeing Barca win at the Bernabeu in the dying seconds of the game is sweet. Ronaldo's face was a picture.  ;D
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1842 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:29 am »

Just winning goal with Ray Hudson on comms - https://twitter.com/Shit_PunditsSay/status/856251339260780547

Ray Hudson isn't everyone's cup of tea, but a player like Messi deserves and evokes that kind of passion from those who watch him. Reminds us that watching the game is fun, that it is meant to be entertaining, and you don't need a story or agenda like certain other commentators and channels...

Better Ray Hudson, than the likes of Chris Sutton, Gary or Phil Neville, Glenn Hoddle, Andy Townsend, Alan Smith, Michael Owen, Trevor Francis, Paul Scholes, Danny Murphy, Lawrenson, Craig Burley, Tyler, or Motson - who all zap the energy and enjoyment from a game with their inane, dull, grandstanding style and delivery.

Deservedly getting a lot of love on twitter tonight too - https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=ray%20hudson&src=typd...

"You can drop a tarantula into his shorts and he'll still be cool"

:lmao
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: April 24, 2017, 06:11:49 am »
Ray Hudson should retire with Messi. They belong together in my mind.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spanish Football 2016/2017
« Reply #1844 on: April 24, 2017, 06:19:27 am »
The extreme right ideology and ties of a sizeable portion of Real's organised fan groups (Ultras Sur chief among them) is a well known fact. They also have close ties with other extreme right fan bases (Lazio, to name one).
Boixos Nois have extreme right-views too. They also do have ties to other far-right fan groups. Does that make Barca a fascist club? Also dont forget that the catalan independence movement is far-right (based on a nationalistic ideology) in its essence and Barca is the symbol of Catalonia.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:23:47 am by child-in-time »
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1845 on: April 24, 2017, 06:43:05 am »
The fucking club, Real Madrid, if you're unfamiliar with it, read up about it if you wish and the club's ties to Franco.  I think that's evident to what I'm referring to.
what ties to franco? As far as ive ever seen he jumped on their bandwagon somewhat as a smashing piece of propaganda once they started winning european cups. What else did he do? If it was any other spanish clubs winning those trophies he'd have been showing them off to the world as well. Other than that, theres not much else to it is there?

As for the ultras, didnt the last lot basically get disbanded by the club and replaced by a new bunch due to some racist incidents?  Either way, racism is clearly still a problem across spanish football. These incidents arent just exclusive to Real Madrid.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:43:10 am by alonsoisared »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1846 on: April 24, 2017, 06:51:44 am »
Doesn't it go on head to head if teams are level on points in the table as La Liga don't recognise goal difference do they, & Barcelona have the head to head as they drew 1-1 in December.
#Sausages

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1847 on: April 24, 2017, 08:28:08 am »
Doesn't it go on head to head if teams are level on points in the table as La Liga don't recognise goal difference do they, & Barcelona have the head to head as they drew 1-1 in December.

Yes. If they're level on head to head then it would go to goal difference. But Barca are well ahead in that regard too
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1848 on: April 25, 2017, 09:59:34 pm »
Atletico struggling against Villareal at home, looks like a 0-0. I guess this match is only relevant for Atletico finishing 3rd for straight CL groups instead of Sevilla. Then again they still have a chance to win the CL.

Now Torres in, hope he gets the winning goal.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1849 on: April 25, 2017, 10:08:55 pm »
Villareal 1, Soriano.
Didn't see that coming.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1850 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:00 pm »
what ties to franco? As far as ive ever seen he jumped on their bandwagon somewhat as a smashing piece of propaganda once they started winning european cups. What else did he do? If it was any other spanish clubs winning those trophies he'd have been showing them off to the world as well. Other than that, theres not much else to it is there?

As for the ultras, didnt the last lot basically get disbanded by the club and replaced by a new bunch due to some racist incidents?  Either way, racism is clearly still a problem across spanish football. These incidents arent just exclusive to Real Madrid.
I thought he lumped in with them before the European Cup got going, them being Madrid and all that. Franco strong-arms De Stefano from Barcelona to Real, and that's the kick-start just before European Cup inauguration of Real dominance.

Sorry, that's a tough guide, but as a quick answer, i think I'm close.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1851 on: April 26, 2017, 01:53:46 am »
I thought he lumped in with them before the European Cup got going, them being Madrid and all that. Franco strong-arms De Stefano from Barcelona to Real, and that's the kick-start just before European Cup inauguration of Real dominance.

In 1943 Franco allegedly sent his Director of State Security into the Barca dressing room before a second leg Spanish cup game (renamed the Generalisimo Cup) which they subsequently lost 11-1...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/apr/21/championsleague.sport

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/138/spain/2008/07/14/776241/feature-the-real-barca-rivalry

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1852 on: April 26, 2017, 02:19:02 am »
In 1943 Franco allegedly sent his Director of State Security into the Barca dressing room before a second leg Spanish cup game (renamed the Generalisimo Cup) which they subsequently lost 11-1...

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/138/spain/2008/07/14/776241/feature-the-real-barca-rivalry

normal behaviour according to some

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #1853 on: April 26, 2017, 11:00:02 am »
Ronaldo and Kroos not in the squad for tonight's game at Deportivo La Coruna.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1854 on: April 26, 2017, 11:01:03 am »

The poor sods will probably have to rely on Isco and Rodriguez.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1855 on: April 26, 2017, 11:17:56 am »

Bale's out for a while as well isn't he? Tore a calf muscle Tue other day I think.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #1856 on: April 26, 2017, 11:19:46 am »
Bale's out for a while as well isn't he? Tore a calf muscle Tue other day I think.
Yeah and probably wasn't ready for last Sunday's game but had to play cause Barca and sponsorship contracts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1857 on: April 26, 2017, 12:36:14 pm »
The poor sods will probably have to rely on Isco and Rodriguez.

Best games from Real Madrid this season had starting lineups full of theoretical reserves. Without Bale, Benzema and Ronaldo, the strikers are somewhat more aggressive in defense so the team is more joint and presses up better, or at least that's been the case in most games so far.

Offline gordonchas

• Jilted John was right.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1858 on: April 26, 2017, 01:31:36 pm »

"Allegedly".

There is no evidence that incident ever happened. Escola and Balmanya, two Barcelona players who had been exiled in France during the Civil War and allowed to return, and were therefore the most at risk from a threat, both said in interviews later in life than nobody threatened the Barcelona team that day.

It would make you wonder what they were thinking, trying to fix the match in that way, when the regime forced both the Madrid and Barcelona presidents to resign because of the trouble the match had caused.

And, having supposedly fixed the match at gunpoint, the regime then allowed the fellow separatists of Bilbao to defeat Real Madrid in the cup final?

Still, if you can find one actual documented incident of Francoist bias aiding Real Madrid I'd be glad to hear it, because any proof has evaded all the academics and journalists who've attempted it in 70 years of trying.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1859 on: April 26, 2017, 03:30:39 pm »
Read Sid Lowe's myth-debunking book on the Real Madrid-Barcelona rivalry. Neither side is clean in regard to ties with Franco.
To even further your point, Franco wasn't a football fan and the team he showed emotions to was not Real rather Atletico, who he put under the wing of the Aviation ministry to look after.

Also if Franco interfered in football that much, can someone explain why the team who dominated Spain during the first half of his reign was Athletic Bilbao.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1860 on: April 26, 2017, 05:10:01 pm »

Barcelona v Osasuna - 6.30pm ko on SS2.   Streams here - https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6111/barcelona-2_vs_osasuna-643

Leganes v Las Palmas - 7.30pm ko on Sky Red Button.   Streams here - https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6112/leganes-634_vs_las-palmas-645

Valencia v Real Sociedad - 7.30pm ko on Sky red Button.   Streams here - https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6113/valencia-635_vs_real-sociedad-644

Deportivo La Coruna v Real Madrid - 8.30pm ko on SS2.   Streams here - https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6114/deportivo-la-coruna-640_vs_real-madrid-5

http://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/spain/laliga/
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1861 on: April 26, 2017, 05:45:49 pm »
normal behaviour according to some
so basically you had no idea, waited for someone to post about an alleged event that has never been proven and jumped on that to prove a point.

You simply cant go round brandishing an entire football club as fascist without substance. Its bullshit. Theres plenty of reasons to dislike Real Madrid but unproven events from 70 odd years ago dont rank highly. The people of Madrid suffered under franco as much as anyone.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1862 on: April 26, 2017, 05:52:59 pm »
so basically you had no idea, waited for someone to post about an alleged event that has never been proven and jumped on that to prove a point.

You simply cant go round brandishing an entire football club as fascist without substance. Its bullshit. Theres plenty of reasons to dislike Real Madrid but unproven events from 70 odd years ago dont rank highly. The people of Madrid suffered under franco as much as anyone.

No I didnt wait for anyone to post, I dont need someone else to post it for me. I couldnt be fucking arsed into getting a debat3 with you about it which is why I left it as is.

You have your opion, I have mine. I dont have the time to go back and forth.

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: April 26, 2017, 05:55:01 pm »

No I didnt wait for anyone to post, I dont need someone else to post it for me. I couldnt be fucking arsed into getting a debat3 with you about it which is why I left it as is.

You have your opion, I have mine. I dont have the time to go back and forth.
It is OK to hate Real Madrid, but what you posted about Franco aiding Real Madrid, isn't classified under opinion mate. It is either a fact or a myth and so far, bar some people rehashing stuff, it has proven to be a myth.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1864 on: April 26, 2017, 05:59:35 pm »

the di stefano thing is a myth too, as someone else wrote i would recommend sid lowe's book "fear and loathing in la liga". It is a fascinating rivalry and the narrative of good vs evil, the people vs the establishment is an appealing one to human nature but in this case its just not true. Neither are particularly likeable clubs imo but only for footballing reasons. So many of the stories surrounding them are talked up to serve the narrative but are off the mark.

DeFacto you arent posting opinions, you are posting unsubstantiated smears against an entire football club. Dangerous ground that should be challenged unless you can back it up. Which you cant.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:01:10 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: April 26, 2017, 06:43:15 pm »
Messi worldie...and the fans recreate his celebration from Sunday night. 1-0

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1866 on: April 26, 2017, 06:45:11 pm »

Messi, 1-0 on 12 mins - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5jszqf_lionel-messi-super-goal-hd-barcelona-1-0-osasuna-26-04-2017_sport or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOkKjuJA1tQ

I think he started to play keepie-uppie a little bit on the run with the ball before lofting it over the goalie...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1867 on: April 26, 2017, 07:57:05 pm »

Mascherano scored his 1st goal for Barcelona tonight (in 318 appearances for them) vs Osasuna from the spot in the 67th minute ;D

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5jtctm_javier-mascherano-goal-hd-barcelona-6-1-osasuna-26-04-2017_sport

Love that crazy loon :)

Barcelona 7-1 Osasuna full time. Highlights here - http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2017/04/26/barcelona-vs-osasuna-highlights-full-match/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:19:42 pm by oojason »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1868 on: April 26, 2017, 08:59:11 pm »
Real playing an under strengthened side is already 2-0 against Deportivo.

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1869 on: April 26, 2017, 09:47:42 pm »
Asensio is such a good player already and he's just 20 years old.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1870 on: April 26, 2017, 10:01:50 pm »
Asensio is such a good player already and he's just 20 years old.

I wanted us to sign him on loan in January. I really think we could've done so as well because he wasn't getting many chances at Real until recently.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1871 on: April 27, 2017, 12:30:30 am »
the di stefano thing is a myth too, as someone else wrote i would recommend sid lowe's book "fear and loathing in la liga". It is a fascinating rivalry and the narrative of good vs evil, the people vs the establishment is an appealing one to human nature but in this case its just not true. Neither are particularly likeable clubs imo but only for footballing reasons. So many of the stories surrounding them are talked up to serve the narrative but are off the mark.

DeFacto you arent posting opinions, you are posting unsubstantiated smears against an entire football club. Dangerous ground that should be challenged unless you can back it up. Which you cant.

I was out of line with the initial comment.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1872 on: April 27, 2017, 05:00:23 am »

Cheers for putting me right. I'll check out the book, sounds very interesting.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1873 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:23 am »
Cheers for putting me right. I'll check out the book, sounds very interesting.
its a quality read mate, fascinating stuff!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1874 on: April 28, 2017, 12:24:49 am »
To even further your point, Franco wasn't a football fan and the team he showed emotions to was not Real rather Atletico, who he put under the wing of the Aviation ministry to look after.

Also if Franco interfered in football that much, can someone explain why the team who dominated Spain during the first half of his reign was Athletic Bilbao.

Yeah, I think Sid Lowe brings this up in his excellent book. Bilbao and Barcelona had some the most prosperous spells in their history during the Franco dictatorship. Lowe's opinion is that given how unpopular the regime was, Franco latched on the success of any team. As Lowe posits, had Barcelona been successful in Europe, he and the regime, probably would have wanted to be publicly linked to them. Real Madrid, who were incidentally founded by a Catalan and had won two titles prior to the Spanish Civil War, didn't win La Liga again until fifteen years after the Civil War. Given Lowe has a PhD in Spanish history with a focus on the Franco years, he's definitely an authority in the matter, more so than most football journalists.

its a quality read mate, fascinating stuff!

It is probably one of the best football books ever written in my opinion. A great blend of in-depth analysis and historical research
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:34:16 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline gordonchas

• Jilted John was right.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1875 on: April 29, 2017, 09:20:13 am »
Bilbao and Barcelona had some the most prosperous spells in their history during the Franco dictatorship...

In order to prevent the Barcelona board engaging in any separatist actions, the Franco regime insisted, in the immediate post Civil War years, that the President of Barcelona CF was one of their own placemen. Politically, this was actually to the benefit of the football club. For example, as President, the Marquis de la Mesa de Asta, who was a personal friend of the brutal General Moscardo (who was Minister of Sport at the time) and had himself been a Nationalist officer, was able to persuade Moscardo to allow exiled Barcelona players to return to the country. A successor of his, Josep Vendrell, was also a Nationalist Colonel. Both of those did everything they could to ensure the football club's onfield success, they weren't there to weaken it.

When the Marquis, despite his close links with the regime, was pressured by the authorities to resign following the infamous 11-1 defeat at Chamartin, the Madrid president Peralba was forced out at the same time, and for the same reason. As it turned out, that worked out well for Madrid as it led to the visionary Bernabeu taking over.

What's also missed when the signing of Di Stefano is brought up, is that much earlier Barcelona had been allowed to sign the almost as influential Kubala under the noses of Real Madrid, and who led them to one of their most successful eras - so much so that he's often given the credit for the club building the Camp Nou to cope with the increased capacity they needed. As Kubala was a Hungarian exile, the Franco regime had to give him Spanish nationality and lobby FIFA to allow acceptance of it. Hardly the actions of a regime attempting to restrict Barcelona's success.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1876 on: April 29, 2017, 12:54:35 pm »

Real Madrid vs Valencia on at 3.15pm today. Some streams here - https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6178/real-madrid-5_vs_valencia-635

Espanyol v Barcelona tonight with a 7.45pm ko live on SS2. Some streams here - https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6180/espanyol-638_vs_barcelona-2

http://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/spain/laliga/fixtures/

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1877 on: April 29, 2017, 01:22:53 pm »
Granada just equalised at real sociedad, Adams sitting in the dug out smiling broadly punches the air. Get in!

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1878 on: April 29, 2017, 01:40:59 pm »
Didn't last long 2-1 down, Big Tone could do with a drink after this defending.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: April 29, 2017, 02:53:26 pm »
The ''declining'' Messi is the leading goal-scorer so far in the season and will likely end that way, he has 33 goals, Suarez is 2nd with 23. Ronaldo is 3rd with 19, and our Iago Aspas is 4th is with 18.

Subpar year for Ronaldo for his standards.