Author Topic: North Korea  (Read 12891 times)

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: North Korea
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2017, 09:18:40 pm »
Absolutely, unless he's literally mad he must know that any material threat beyond saber rattling would result in his and most of his countries total annihilation.

I really don't see why anything has to be done. , containment is working fine for everyone bar his own people.

Ultimately that's where the pressure of this regime is going to fail, it can't sustain itself indefinitely whilst its people know such hardship.

if he attacked the US, Japan or S.Korea then not even the Chinese Russians would stand in the way of the retribution they would have deservedly brought upon themselves.
I would normally agree with you and that's so easy to do but we know his intentions, he's trying to develop long distance ballistic missiles, the USA must obviously feel it's only a matter of time before he has this capability, better to deal with the problem now rather than wait till he has them by the b....
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2017, 09:26:14 pm »
Big difference between Syria and NK though.  Whatever leverage China might have against Trump's business interests, they don't seem interested or keen in trying to apply it right now. 

Also, Trump informed Russia about the missile strikes to avoid Russian casualties because they had boots on the ground in a foreign country.  That's different from striking NK which currently has no presence in the South.  I find it hard to think of a situation where South Korea and Japan say "no" to the US attacking NK and Trump actually listening.

The only way you can see a strike on NK without South Korean or Japanese authority is if the USA is in danger of being struck by the North Koreans. Thats effectively the stage the North Koreans want to get to and the Americans want to prevent. If North Korea develops their missle which can contain a warhead then that is a instance where the Yanks could strike first.

Also I read that there are something like 20k American soldiers and personnel in South Korea who would all be in direct firing line of an attack. A pre-emptive attack when there is no immediate threat to the States and something that led to the potential deaths of hunderds of Americans wouldnt reflect too well. I know its been done before (Iraq) but its common knowledge that the North Korea as yet couldnt devstate the States.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:28:21 pm by killer_heels »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »
Everything you say makes sense, KH.  But, well, it's Trump... backed by hawks...

My main concern is Trump's short term thinking and lack of a coherent policy on just about everything.  We all know what common sense diplomacy dictates; but Trump doesn't play by those rules.  It will take a sustained effort from his closest confidants to keep him reined in on this matter.  I can't escape the feeling that he's just spoiling for a fight and it doesn't really enter into his mind whether or not NK has the ability to do this or that - he just sees them as upstart bad guys who threaten the US and he wants to put them in their place.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2017, 09:43:49 pm »
I would normally agree with you and that's so easy to do but we know his intentions, he's trying to develop long distance ballistic missiles, the USA must obviously feel it's only a matter of time before he has this capability, better to deal with the problem now rather than wait till he has them by the b....

I'm sure you're right but that then opens the far more important point of the illegal nature of doing so. Just because they don't like The regime doesn't give them carte Blanche to bomb the shut out of them
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2017, 09:46:03 pm »
Everything you say makes sense, KH.  But, well, it's Trump... backed by hawks...

My main concern is Trump's short term thinking and lack of a coherent policy on just about everything.  We all know what common sense diplomacy dictates; but Trump doesn't play by those rules.  It will take a sustained effort from his closest confidants to keep him reined in on this matter.  I can't escape the feeling that he's just spoiling for a fight and it doesn't really enter into his mind whether or not NK has the ability to do this or that - he just sees them as upstart bad guys who threaten the US and he wants to put them in their place.

I agree that if its suggested to him to attack then he doesnt have the brains or rationale to weigh it up himself and make calculated decisions and nor would he care about the fall out. Fortunately at the moment he does seem to have sense in the area of intelligence and defence. Lets hope it stays that way.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:51:40 pm by killer_heels »

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2017, 09:47:04 pm »
I'm sure you're right but that then opens the far more important point of the illegal nature of doing so. Just because they don't like The regime doesn't give them carte Blanche to bomb the shut out of them
Except we're talking about a hypothetical zero-sum game where one party doesn't care what happens.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2017, 09:52:10 pm »
I dont think the USA or Russia worry about a little thing like having the right to attack another nation bother them. the fact they deem them a serious threat is enough.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:22 pm »

Toppling a regime (even without Military action) just because we dont like them is wrong. I think its quite clear now though that this is a problem that cannot be avoided. Its been avoided by the Chinese and Americans for far too long.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2017, 11:13:23 pm »
If any nuclear capability NK has could be taken out, I would have no issue in a conflict to remove that regime with international support.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2017, 12:20:29 am »
Make no mistake, this situation has the potential to have catastrophic consequences.

We simply do not know the extent to which China has influence over North Korea. Tension between China and Japan is increasing. The US sees Japan as being pivotal to its influence in the Pacific.

South Korea, Japan and China have much to lose economically by armed conflict. North Korea has nothing to lose. Totalitarian dictators are not marked out for their logic, see Saddam's invasion of Kuwait.

A strike against US forces is a possibility, and one which the US could easily deal with and respond to. A land battle within the Korean peninsular would be much more difficult to respond to.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2017, 12:50:18 am »
When have the N. Koreans given indications that they intend to bomb the US or go to war? The threats they send out are usually in seld-defence and rejection of the Americans demands or bully boy tactics to do as they say. As much of a fuckhead and figure of fun Kim-Jong is are the people surrounding him that reckless or stupid to go down a suicidal path like that and anatagonise the world? I refuse to believe they are all brainwashed looney caricatures.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2017, 05:26:19 am »

Trump is so erractic I am afraid to check news web sites in the morning

each day I think I will see 'Trump bombs North Korea' or 'Trump bombs Russians in error in Syria' along with associated fear afterwards

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2017, 09:50:30 am »
Make no mistake, this situation has the potential to have catastrophic consequences.

We simply do not know the extent to which China has influence over North Korea. Tension between China and Japan is increasing. The US sees Japan as being pivotal to its influence in the Pacific.

South Korea, Japan and China have much to lose economically by armed conflict. North Korea has nothing to lose. Totalitarian dictators are not marked out for their logic, see Saddam's invasion of Kuwait.

A strike against US forces is a possibility, and one which the US could easily deal with and respond to. A land battle within the Korean peninsular would be much more difficult to respond to.
China also have a lot to lose from a country they are basically colonialising having their balls held in a vice by a crazed dictator.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2017, 10:30:42 am »
I've been in the DMZ. Scary, scary place.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2017, 10:37:34 am »

Priory Road?.... ;)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:51 am »
Priory Road?.... ;)

:D

Was there when they were sending the 'peace balloons' over and went into the tunnels.

Amazing this shit still goes on in this day and age.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2017, 01:59:55 pm »

Were you at the JSA?

The South Korean soldiers look absolutely badass. All blackbelts in Taekwondo.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....