Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1736509 times)

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
Re: Lets Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »
So you want MORE people to get their phones out at the match and report people?!

Maybe the ones who want to sing could bring an iPad and make notes of the seat numbers they need to report, and get clear evidence using a camera on a stick  ;D

Why is the next generation only local? If you want to encourage this then it should be for an age group no matter what the location, not where they are from.

You're making massive assumptions again. Plenty go without other stuff to just afford to be able to travel to the game from wherever they live, you shouldn't and can't just make the assumption that because they are traveling from elsewhere they must have more money.
You remember the seat and row number and get your iPad on when you're back home.  8)

The local debate is for another topic but I think a generation of Liverpudlians going the game is crucial.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2014, 12:13:18 pm »
If you wanna get in touch with some of the members of the supporters committee. Maybe post a link to this thread so they can see what we want. Or maybe give your ideas and views. No spamming or harassment please.

Honorary President: Karen Gill
Email: HonoraryPresident@liverpoolfcsc.com

Season Ticket Holders and Hospitality: Bob Humphries
Email: Standhospitality-supporters@liverpoolfcsc.com

Non Season Ticket Holders & Official Members: Roy Heaney
Email: nonsthandmembers@liverpoolfcsc.com

Official Supporters' Clubs: Nausherwan Effandi
Email: LFC-Official-Supporters-Clubs@liverpoolfcsc.com

Fans in the Merseyside area: James Benson
Email: Merseyside-Supporters@liverpoolfcsc.com

Cheers for that :) I think I'll send an email out. Good point about the no spamming bit too.

if you read further back these lads had dialogue with the club to only allow certain fans to buy tickets in one area at leicester, give you this to read https://twitter.com/FilboSpirit   
http://filbospirit.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/minutes-from-union-fs-first-meeting-with-lcfc/

Good read. So its an idea that's been mooted with other clubs.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »
The local debate is for another topic but I think a generation of Liverpudlians going the game is crucial.

I don't disagree but I don't think cheaper tickets is the way to do that whilst making other supporters pay more, I also don't think it would exactly encourage more as it's the way they are allocated and sold which prevents more locals getting them over others.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2014, 12:20:02 pm »
I don't think asking for cheaper tickets would be the best way to get the clubs ear either :) when the stadium is expanded and tickets will be a little easier to obtain, perhaps they may do incentives with local schools and stuff like they did with Europa games with the spare tickets.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »
I've said it before the best way to improve the Kop singing is to reintroduce those in the 300 blocks into the main body of the Kop, not as a solid group but spread around.

Atmosphere is different to singing, if you want to create an intimidating atmosphere for the opposition and an inspirational one for the team, its more about the make up of the crowd, and a big percentage are there to 'have a nice day out' so it just aint gonna happen apart from big games.

also an early afternoon KO on Saturday or Sunday is a killer for atmosphere...it just doesn't feel right for the body clock.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2014, 01:00:40 pm »
We should hold X-Factor style auditions to see who can sit where. I mean, I do a beautiful rendition of YNWA that even Michael Jackson would be proud of.
YNWA.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2014, 01:03:47 pm »
We should hold X-Factor style auditions to see who can sit where. I mean, I do a beautiful rendition of YNWA that even Michael Jackson would be proud of.

This is the kind of attitude that has lead to our atmosphere being so shite mate.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:42 pm »
But surely the make up of the crowd in one area of the ground, The Kop, could be manipulated so the 'right' sort of fan gets entry. It's not fool proof but it would be a start if the club could identify via the fancard, those who want to take part or not. (Someone said that the question should be do you want to be the twelfth man.)

Yes many of those who say they will won't participate but it would be a step in the right direction and is better than doing nothing.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:22 pm »
But surely the make up of the crowd in one area of the ground, The Kop, could be manipulated so the 'right' sort of fan gets entry. It's not fool proof but it would be a start if the club could identify via the fancard, those who want to take part or not. (Someone said that the question should be do you want to be the twelfth man.)

Yes many of those who say they will won't participate but it would be a step in the right direction and is better than doing nothing.

Isn't that what the Kop is already? And certainly the 300 blocks are meant to be this.

Yet it doesn't work just by hoping most of those getting tickets there will participate.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2014, 01:12:18 pm »
A small (not all) part of the problem is that those who want to sing, can't get tickets in the 300s. Myself and A_A_R are two, I'm sure there are scores more.

Now I'm not saying "get me back in the Kop" (of course that would be nice ;) ) but would it be better to enhance the 300s now with those who want to sing (however it is done if it is possible), expand it, replicate it in other stands or something else etc.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:15:31 pm by Le Jake »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2014, 01:15:50 pm »

There's too many with season tickets on the kop who aren't arsed anymore at all, the issue is that they aren't "retiring" to the centenary or main stand, they're staying right in the centre of the kop, moaning for 90 minutes and catching up with their mate Dave during you'll never walk alone. And it's hard to blame them really, if they try to move their season ticket to the centenary they might end up paying over £150 more for it.

The club don't care, and until somebody finds a way to make them care, it won't change.

It's the same reason they've made it so awkward for you to get kids tickets for years, they don't care about getting local kids into the game, they'd rather the gap was filled by daytrippers instead who come to 1 game a year and don't get the club or city. Whilst half the young local lads end up just watching the game in the pubs around the ground and just going to away games
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:19:27 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »
First game of the season and you could hear a penny drop way too often. Have not got a clue how you could improve it as even if you are holding a phone taking a pic or video you still have a voice but it is a bit sad these days whether at a match or concert nearly everyone is holding their phone up to 'capture' that moment.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2014, 01:28:47 pm »
Its annoying when you get a head steward telling a section of 304, ( who have stood up for shitloads of games ) to sit down because some daytripper/ first timer has complained that they can't see, the steward should tell them that there has been standing there for years, not bend over backwards to spoil it for regulars just to please 1 or 2.. >:(
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2014, 01:53:10 pm »
Its annoying when you get a head steward telling a section of 304, ( who have stood up for shitloads of games ) to sit down because some daytripper/ first timer has complained that they can't see, the steward should tell them that there has been standing there for years, not bend over backwards to spoil it for regulars just to please 1 or 2.. >:(

Steward in doing his job shocker.

Unfortunately as much as the club would probably want to let you stand they can't be seen to allow it, especially if someone makes a complaint.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2014, 02:17:28 pm »
I know this sounds crazy but... given how good the Melbourne crowd was, maybe the regular matchgoers need some competition for their place and we need to sell more tickets to OOT's ;)

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »
Or, sell a section of tickets to the travelling kop... they are always in good voice :)

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2014, 02:34:40 pm »
anyone watch the docu on fenerbache and galatasaray rivalry.?think it was on setanta,but the atmosphere was  unreal,obviously helps if a lot are standing but they certainly know how to support their teams from the stands,would love to hear different sides of the ground call on each other with certain chants,it sounds mad and could be very intimidating for opposing teams,however,the thing with the turkish club fans i saw it was the continuous noise thruout the match.ynwa always brings the best out of fans but then unless the match lights up the noise seems to match the play which on sun was  like watching a preseason friendly.as im relatively new on here feel free to tell me im talking shite!!..just my tuppence worth.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2014, 02:57:29 pm »
This is the kind of attitude that has lead to our atmosphere being so shite mate.

Cos I was being 100% serious.

If we're honest, no suggestions other than maybe making Kop loyalty-only would be viable to police for the club
YNWA.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »

If we're honest, no suggestions other than maybe making Kop loyalty-only would be viable to police for the club

Still wont improve the atmosphere though
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2014, 03:25:45 pm »
A small (not all) part of the problem is that those who want to sing, can't get tickets in the 300s. Myself and A_A_R are two, I'm sure there are scores more.

Now I'm not saying "get me back in the Kop" (of course that would be nice ;) ) but would it be better to enhance the 300s now with those who want to sing (however it is done if it is possible), expand it, replicate it in other stands or something else etc.

The 300s have got popular and people are buying tickets there expecting to automatically get the atmosphere, driving out some of the more regular people up there.
YNWA.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »
The 300s have got popular and people are buying tickets there expecting to automatically get the atmosphere, driving out some of the more regular people up there.

Yep.

Offline paulsheridan08

• Legacy Fan
  • we have dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2014, 04:22:29 pm »
the reason for the lack of it now is because the 300s are so popular everyone wants to go there however it cant expand because like most have said 200s take up most of season ticket holders who don't want to join ,therefore with lack of tickets to buy in 200s you end up in odd places in the kop where people sit or in another stand where its never going to happen unless another section was introduced.  the only way to do it is to get a 'temporary section' where fans can go if they cant get a kop ticket online, its not going to happen on the kop until likeminded fans end up with season tickets on the kop.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:25:06 pm by paulsheridan08 »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2014, 04:30:58 pm »
the reason for the lack of it now is because the 300s are so popular everyone wants to go there

I can't comment if it is popular or not (I expect it is) but surely the problem is the wrong people are getting to sit there? As if not and the 300's was full of fans who want to create an atmosphere on Sunday then there is a problem as it didn't happen!

Offline kirkbywool

• Kopite
  • The futures bright, the futures red
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2014, 06:06:21 pm »
Could we not have a section of anfield reserved for just daytrippers? Only ask as I went to watch Hamburg and the section I was in was clearly full of people just there for a day trip as no-one was German let alone from Hamburg. I wasn't bothered as I didn't feel I was taking the place of a  local or regular match goer, and at the other side of the stadium they had masses of fans singing. 8 know that German football is different to here (fan ownership, beer in seats etc), and Hamburg are not Liverpool but if the 'daytrippers' have their own section then doesn't that reduce the likelyhood of them getting seats which split up groups?

Not trying to say that daytrippers don't add to the atmosphere but that by them being scattered around the ground they inadvertently split up groups who might sit together and sing

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2014, 09:56:29 pm »
we need songs/chants for our players.

We've got no songs for the majority of our first team including sturridge (nothing comparable to torres bounce or suarez, but the clap for fowler) stirling, lallana, markovic, lambert, can, allen, sakho, moreno, manquillo, johnson, skrtel, Mignolet. 

We've songs for lucas, gerrard, hendo, countinho, enrique, flanagan, agger.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:02 pm »
Could we not have a section of anfield reserved for just daytrippers? Only ask as I went to watch Hamburg and the section I was in was clearly full of people just there for a day trip as no-one was German let alone from Hamburg. I wasn't bothered as I didn't feel I was taking the place of a  local or regular match goer, and at the other side of the stadium they had masses of fans singing. 8 know that German football is different to here (fan ownership, beer in seats etc), and Hamburg are not Liverpool but if the 'daytrippers' have their own section then doesn't that reduce the likelyhood of them getting seats which split up groups?

Not trying to say that daytrippers don't add to the atmosphere but that by them being scattered around the ground they inadvertently split up groups who might sit together and sing

I think having them in one area of the ground would certainly help, but again, that ain't gonna happen. But that is an idea, I mean it is a nailed on fact that more than most daytribbers don't add to the atmosphere.

Don't want to sound like someone who hates tourists, but people with cameras, foam fingers, excessive merchandise, etc, should be kept as far away from the Kop as possible. Now the problem of locals in the Kop who don't add to the atmosphere........ This is the difficult question.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2014, 10:03:17 pm »

Don't want to sound like someone who hates tourists, but people with cameras, foam fingers, excessive merchandise, etc, should be kept as far away from the Kop as possible. Now the problem of locals in the Kop who don't add to the atmosphere........ This is the difficult question.

Yep. Like the Season Ticket holder at the front of the Kop who brings inflatable bananas  to the games.

Bad fucking whopper but is obviously local.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:54 pm »
the atmosphere around me is largely quiet but enough join in with the singing from time to time.

However, I am firmly of the opinion that you can't force people to sing or kick them out of the seat (they have just as much right to as anyone else) just because they don't. Plenty of people go to the game to WATCH it and concentrate on what they are watching and if that's what they want to do then who is anyone else to argue that they're wrong ? And, IMHO, if you're one of the those people then the Kop is the best stand to be in as IMHO it gives by far the best view of the play and where players are etc.

And, no, you can't do that and sing all the time at the same time.

Understand the problem. But let's say you had the same people as you have today, around you. How could you improve the atmosphere? You can do whatever you want. Would it help if you could move people around as you please? Is there something you'd like to remove/add?

I believe people go and generally only know a couple of those around them. So generally, you sit surrounded by strangers. If we believe that it's better if people know each other, at least chat more with those strangers, a possible solution could be to encourage people to come earlier. Maybe have a former player walk around, sign autographs, chat about the game etc. To break the ice. I'm only guessing here.

However, I believe a fundamental issue is everything is set up for you to be a passive spectator. Therefore, to change things, this needs to be addressed. For example, remove half time entertainment if there is some. Shut the music off. Force people to fill the void. And don't be afraid that people don't get non-stop entertainment. Anything that can make the spectator active, or at least neutral rather than passive, is worth investigating.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2014, 10:05:00 pm »
Could we not have a section of anfield reserved for just daytrippers? ....

The Club are currently building one.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2014, 10:06:52 pm »
we need songs/chants for our players.

We've got no songs for the majority of our first team including sturridge (nothing comparable to torres bounce or suarez, but the clap for fowler) stirling, lallana, markovic, lambert, can, allen, sakho, moreno, manquillo, johnson, skrtel, Mignolet. 

We've songs for lucas, gerrard, hendo, countinho, enrique, flanagan, agger.

Thats another good point. We're that lacking in songs we're singing for Garcia (I'm glad we are singing for him, cos hes a fucking legend!) and songs like the Torres bounce or the Suarez song will be missed. I love PST/FOAR and I'm glad Poetry in Motion gets a good airing, but more songs (and some easy ones) would help those a bit shy to come out of their shell.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:43 pm »
I'm a Kop ST holder and have been for over 20 years. The atmosphere has been in steady decline for as long as I care to remember with Sunday particularly disappointing.

What they should do is design a designated singing section. Offer all ST holders the option to take up residence in the singing section or the option to opt out into other parts of the Kop. Then there should be an allocation of general sale / members tickets tickets with the same option. You could get a section of about 5000 die hards all in sync supporting the team and generating a great atmosphere that could piece off into other parts of the stand/stadium.

There will be inevitable moaning from those who will argue about moving from a seat they have sat in for years, and the friendships they've built up with fans around them etc. But something needs to be done and I for one would certainly welcome that option. The group of boring old c*nts who have sat next to me for years are insufferable, and I would gladly take the option of moving away from them and housing up with fellow fans who actually give a fuck about our atmosphere.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Max999

• Anny Roader
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2014, 09:16:36 am »
I'm a Kop ST holder and have been for over 20 years. The atmosphere has been in steady decline for as long as I care to remember with Sunday particularly disappointing.

What they should do is design a designated singing section. Offer all ST holders the option to take up residence in the singing section or the option to opt out into other parts of the Kop. Then there should be an allocation of general sale / members tickets tickets with the same option. You could get a section of about 5000 die hards all in sync supporting the team and generating a great atmosphere that could piece off into other parts of the stand/stadium.

There will be inevitable moaning from those who will argue about moving from a seat they have sat in for years, and the friendships they've built up with fans around them etc. But something needs to be done and I for one would certainly welcome that option. The group of boring old c*nts who have sat next to me for years are insufferable, and I would gladly take the option of moving away from them and housing up with fellow fans who actually give a fuck about our atmosphere.

That's sort of what we have with the 300s though, the issue you then get is that people hear that its where the best atmosphere is and go there to 'sample' it without making any effort to add to it themselves forcing those that would be singing out of that section and out to other areas of the ground. It wouldn't matter that the 300s have got more popular if everyone going in there was doing what those areas are supposed to be for, but they aren't they're there to sample the atmosphere etc.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2014, 10:03:49 am »
That's sort of what we have with the 300s though, the issue you then get is that people hear that its where the best atmosphere is and go there to 'sample' it without making any effort to add to it themselves forcing those that would be singing out of that section and out to other areas of the ground. It wouldn't matter that the 300s have got more popular if everyone going in there was doing what those areas are supposed to be for, but they aren't they're there to sample the atmosphere etc.

Exactly, which brings us back full circle to what I asked at the start of this thread - how do you police it?

Offline Max999

• Anny Roader
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2014, 10:38:24 am »
Exactly, which brings us back full circle to what I asked at the start of this thread - how do you police it?

Million dollar question, I've not got an answer I'm afraid. The suggestion someone offered about being allocated your seat on the Kop on arrival at the gate is a good idea as it means friends/likeminded people can arrange to arrive at the same time. Practicality is an issue there obviously.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2014, 10:39:44 am »

Exactly, it's impossible to know whether the person who purchased that ticket is gonna sing or not. People say give it to locals, well than they don't understand the situation because not every local sings! And then you get the people who say "give it to anyone but foreigners" but how do you know, just because there foreign doesn't mean they won't sing. They may be more likely to do cringe things, but not 100% of them.

I really think the credit system is the best. Based of on how many matches you have gone to over a certain amount of time. Because like what's been discussed, the people who have bothered to turn up just because we're playing well again, or are there for the one time experience. Shove um in the Main Stand. And keep the Kop to LOYAL Kopites.

But EVEN then you have the question of people who have had season tickets for years not contributing to the atmousphere. It makes my head hurt, it really does, so many problems that need solving. I'm gonna lie down.

Offline Redpross1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2014, 10:44:38 am »
Compulsory Pyro!!!!

Offline getsonmywick

• Kemlynite
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2014, 10:44:45 am »
The problem is the way the tickets are sold.

There will always be singers and non singers.  Both should be welcome.

If the singers were grouped together then that would make more noise and get the atmosphere going, which in turn would spread somewhat around the rest of the stadium. 

The problem comes when a few singers are surrounded and outnumbered by non singers.  The singers run out of steam and get frustrated.  One guy on sunday in the Kop called everyone around him a 'foreign c**t' at one point.

This year the ticket sale was a fiasco.  The scramble for tickets, the ticket price hike and the tiered pricing structure meant that plenty of people chose their seats based solely on price, also many people just had to get whatever seats they could due to extremely limited availability on sale day(s).

Many of the comments on here seem to presume that everyone has a wide choice of seats.  They don't.

I tend to think there should be a singing section at each end.  That way anyone buying tickets in those specifically named areas will know that they are expected to contribute.  They will know this at the time they are purchasing.  The non singers will not want to choose tickets in those sections.  I think you can't call these sections 'Singing sections' as it gives the wrong impression.  However from a practical point of view - I think that's exactly whats needed.

Offline Max999

• Anny Roader
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2014, 10:54:25 am »
The problem is the way the tickets are sold.

There will always be singers and non singers.  Both should be welcome.

If the singers were grouped together then that would make more noise and get the atmosphere going, which in turn would spread somewhat around the rest of the stadium. 

The problem comes when a few singers are surrounded and outnumbered by non singers.  The singers run out of steam and get frustrated.  One guy on sunday in the Kop called everyone around him a 'foreign c**t' at one point.

This year the ticket sale was a fiasco.  The scramble for tickets, the ticket price hike and the tiered pricing structure meant that plenty of people chose their seats based solely on price, also many people just had to get whatever seats they could due to extremely limited availability on sale day(s).

Many of the comments on here seem to presume that everyone has a wide choice of seats.  They don't.

I tend to think there should be a singing section at each end.  That way anyone buying tickets in those specifically named areas will know that they are expected to contribute.  They will know this at the time they are purchasing.  The non singers will not want to choose tickets in those sections.  I think you can't call these sections 'Singing sections' as it gives the wrong impression.  However from a practical point of view - I think that's exactly whats needed.

The issue with that is that loads of nonsingers DO want to buy tickets in these sections, so they can experience the atmosphere, but they don't add to it.

Offline getsonmywick

• Kemlynite
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:35 am »
The issue with that is that loads of nonsingers DO want to buy tickets in these sections, so they can experience the atmosphere, but they don't add to it.

There are no singing sections at the moment.   There might be areas where the singers tend to group.  However with random people scattered all over the stadium due to the ticket sales issue, there will inevitable be plenty of non singers there too.

If at the time of buying a ticket, if it was clear people were buying a ticket IN AN OFFICIAL SINGING AREA, then you would have less of this.   This will be a crucial difference to the situation right now.

Problem is - I don't like the sound of AN OFFICIAL SINGING AREA.  However, this is what is needed.  Kopite B205 a few posts back said same thing.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2014, 11:29:19 am »
There's too many with season tickets on the kop who aren't arsed anymore at all, the issue is that they aren't "retiring" to the centenary or main stand, they're staying right in the centre of the kop, moaning for 90 minutes and catching up with their mate Dave during you'll never walk alone. And it's hard to blame them really, if they try to move their season ticket to the centenary they might end up paying over £150 more for it.

This is one of the big reasons in my opinion.

In the old days, the older fan naturally 'retired' to the main stand or Kemlyn. Mainly because they probably didn't fancy the hassle of standing up anymore to watch the game. That naturally made way for the younger fan to take their place on the Kop. Younger, more excitable fans will make the atmosphere better.

Now there is no incentive for the middle aged fan to move out the Kop. The fellas who were 20-30 when the Kop changed to all seater stand are now middle aged and still sitting in the Kop. In general I would suspect that when you get to your middle age going the game is less of a highlight of your week. Worrying about the atmosphere is probably further down in your list of priorities.

I think that is part of the cause. Not sure what the solution is though. Can't force people to move seats to a more costly area of the ground. Even if it did happen I wonder how many young people could afford a season ticket or even attend regularly at today's prices.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.